New Vines 2009
With collaboration from various kind folks in the Dead.net vining community, our own erickat prepared this handy guide explaining how vining works hereabouts. Many thanks to all involved, and vine on! --
Dead.Net Vines - What It Is & How It Works
(We're changing some things for 2009)
BACKGROUND: The concept of a "vine" is music sharing through conventional means (e.g. mailing cd's or dvd's) with the sign-up list being on-line. The basic idea is that someone starts (seeds) a vine, made up of one or multiple shows,and sends it via mail to the first person who signs up. That person makes a copy for themselves and sends the ORIGINAL media on to the next person on the list. As more people sign up, it continues to grow and grow - hence the name "vine".
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: Make sure you can deal with the media format. Many vines are in audio CD format, so the minimum basic requirement is that you are knowledgeable and capable of copying audio CD's. Other vines are in DVD format, which means you at least need the capability of reading a DVD. Yet others are in SHN or FLAC format- if you sign up for one of these, you need to know how to deal with those formats. Help is readily available - just ask. Here are some helpful links:
VINE: An original physical package of music or video (cd's/dvd's) being passed from person to person
VINEYARD: A topic within Dead.net (where all the vine forums exist) SEEDER: A person who initiates a vine (creates the original "seed" media) PM: Short for "Private Message" - communication provided through dead.net SIGNUP LIST: The list of people who sign up to receive the package. Note - Be careful to get the most up to date version - you may have to go back a few pages from the end to find it.
POSTING: The act of leaving a message in a forum (very important) Post to sign-up Post when a vine arrives ; Post after a vine is sent.
New VINE Process (changes for 2009):
1. Check the Vinedex (updated from time to time, but may be out of date) to make sure it hasn't already been vined. Note - not everything is fair game for vining. Check the following before vining anything:
a) The Vinedex
b) Dicks Picks
If it's not in those places, it is generally fair game. No copyrighted material, please Taper friendly bands only. (Marye may veto a particular vine for copyright or similar reasons.)
2. Post your vine info here (without signup list) - maybe include a note reminding people not to sign-up until it has its own topic.
3. Marye creates a forum topic with the vine info & a blank sign-up list and posts a link in the new vines area (e.g. VINE XXXX Lives HERE - with a link)
4. Then people go to that vine & start signing up NOTE - to make it easier on Marye, you could also PM her with the info. No early sign-ups - Any sign-ups before the vine has its own home will be ignored
SIGNING UP FOR A VINE:
1. Find a VINE you want to sign-up for.
2. Locate the most recent and most complete LIST (towards the end of the vine)
3. Copy the list & paste it into a new message, adding your username at the bottom.
4. Post the message & PM the person directly before you with your name & mailing address. Note the fact that you signed up for this vine (a spreadsheet is a good idea) (it can take a long time between when you sign up and when it arrives, so you really need to track what you're on the hook for & when to expect it- it's a responsibility)
5. Check your PM inbox and the vines you've signed up for periodically, so you know if someone is looking for you AND so you know when to expect each vine's arrival. Remember, if someone posts that they sent it to you & that's the last we know... it will look like you were the one that dropped the ball. If you don't receive a vine when you thought it was coming, then Post
6. When the vine arrives, post to dead.net (on the appropriate vine) that you received it.
7. Take care of the media - don't scratch 'em or crack 'em or put your fingerprints all over them - clean media means a longer lived vine
8. Make a copy for yourself & mail the ORIGINALS to the next person on the list.(If the person directly behind you on the list hasn't sent you their address, PM them. If no response after 3 or 4 days, PM the next in line - but post to the vine so people know)
9. Please make sure to properly package and address the media before mailing it. We have had some unfortunate losses, due to bad addresses, packages falling apart and just plain lost in the mail. Padded envelopes are cheap - and make sure they're securely taped & properly addressed.
10. AFTER you mail it, post on dead.net (on the appropriate vine) that you have sent it to the next person on the list. It is your responsibility to remember what you sign up for and be anticipating its arrival. Post messages to the vine upon receipt and again, after you have sent it on.
1. If you did not receive a PM or email from the person who is next on the list, PM them. If no response, then PM the following person for an address and send it to them, if they respond. If they don't, PM the next person - but in any case, make a posting on Dead.Net (on the appropriate vine) about what you're doing. This is very important. It's the only way we know what's going on.
2. If you were expecting a vine and did not receive it - PM the person who was going to send it to you. In any event, post to Dead.Net (on the appropriate vine) with the circumstances, so everyone knows what is going on. It can't be overstated how important POSTING is - just knowing what is going on will prevent speculation, accusations & hard feelings.
CAVEAT EMPTOR As a friend of mine always says ... "don't sweat the small stuff" - "and by the way - it's all small stuff."
Life happens - car accidents, arrests, people get sick - people abscond - but you can't get overly upset about any of it, especially when it's all free. Sometimes vines disappear - and many times, they are revived or re-seeded by kind folk. This is the most unrestrictive & trusting vine community I know of - and the reason we emphasize posting is so we can keep the music flowing - not to accuse or condemn. If we know a vine is lost, then someone can re-seed and keep the music going. Nobody should get upset or make personal attacks over what happens here. In the past, we've had all sorts of reasons why people just disappear - and when they came back, we were overjoyed that they did. Sometimes, if a person is known to be unreliable, their name will be removed from the vine lists - but that's a rare occurrence.
"In a bed, in a bed, by the waterside I will lay my head.
Listen to the river sing sweet songs, to rock my soul."
This offer is 1 dvd with flac files containing select Little Feat shows from 1973 - 1978, featuring the late, great Lowell George on lead vocals & guitar. He died in 1979 at age 34. In 1978, he helped Grateful Dead with the production of the album "Shakedown Street".
7/19/73 Early Show Ebbetts Field, Denver CO. SBD > KCUV FM
Hamburger Midnight, Got No Shadow, On Your Way Down, Walkin' All Night, Two Trains, Willin’ , Cold Cold Cold > Dixie Chicken > Tripe Face Boogie, Fat Man In The Bathtub
7/19/73 Late Show Ebbetts Field
Apolitical Blues, Two Trains, Got No Shadow, The Fan, Texas Rose Café, Snakes On Everything, Cat Fever, Walkin' All Night, Sailin' Shoes, Dixie Chicken > Tripe Face Boogie
Bootlegs known as "Snakes On Everything" and "Late Night Truck Stop" are from this show.
9/19/74 Ultrasonic Studios, Hebron NY SBD > WLIR FM
Rock & Roll Doctor, Oh Atlanta, Two Trains, The Fan, On Your Way Down, Spanish Moon > Skin It Back > Fat Man In The Bathtub, Willin’, Cold Cold Cold > Dixie Chicken > Tripe Face Boogie
Bootlegs known as "Electrif Lycanthrope" and "Encore Performance" are from this show.
5/23/75 Fox Theater, Atlanta, GA SBD > 1st gen reel
Skin it Back, One Love Stand > Rock and Roll Doctor, Oh Atlanta, On Your Way Down, Juliette > Day Or Night, All That You Dream, Dixie Chicken > Tripe Face Boogie, Feats Don't Fail Me Now*, Willin’ , Teenage Nervous Breakdown
Comments: with Bonnie Raitt*, Mylon LeFevre & John David Souther
6/11/77 Midnite Special, Burbank, CA also identified as 6/10/77 for the TV "air" date. SBD
Introduction, Queen Of The Silver Dollar - Emmylou Harris w Little Feat
Dixie Chicken - Little Feat w/ Emmylou Harris, Bonnie Raitt, Jesse Winchester
Runaway - Bonnie Raitt W/ Norton Buffalo
Rhumba Man - Jesse Winchester
Like A Hurricane - Neil Young
Old Folks Boogie - Little Feat
I Can't Stand Up Alone - Jesse Winchester w Emmylou Harris, Bonnie Raitt
Birdland - Weather Report
Home - Bonnie Raitt
Nothing But A Breeze - Jesse Winchester w Emmylou Harris
Rocket In My Pocket - Little Feat
My Songbird - Emmylou Harris
Sugar Mama - Bonnie Raitt
Rhumba Mama - Weather Report
Teen Town " "
Rock & Roll Doctor Little Feat
8/2/77 Rainbow Theatre, London, England SBD
Walking All Night, Fat Man In The Bathtub, Red Streamliner, Oh Atlanta, All That You Dream, Mercenary Territory, On Your Way Down, Skin It Back, Old Folks Boogie, Rock and Roll Doctor, Cold Cold Cold > Dixie Chicken > Tripe Face Boogie
Comments: Live album "Waiting for Columbus" uses "Skin it Back" from this show.
9/19/78 William and Mary College, Williamsburg, VA SBD
Intro, Time Loves A Hero > Day or Night, Texas Rose Café, Skin It Back > Fat Man In The Bathtub, Spanish Moon, Gringo Jam > Day At The Dog Races, Keepin' Up With The Joneses, Old Folks Boogie, Dixie Chicken*, Willin > Bogart > Willin'
Encore: Feats Don't Fail Me Now, Oh Atlanta
Comments: w John Call*
Muchas gracias al senor Lopezz for valuable assistance accumulating this special data!!
Once Marye posts this entry in it's own Forum realm, I'll mail it off to the first one to sign-up.
Hey folks , since i recently discovered the Foobar 2000 program I`ve been using it all the time and I absoloutly love it . again many thanks to CB and Ltapilot for helping me find and learn to operate Foobar 2k . So I was thinking that maybe the tutorial above could be modified to include imformation on Foobar 2k . I would`nt know how to do that , and it`s just a passing thought here going through my head .. any thought on this from anyone else ?
Here's a couple complete Jerry Band DVDs. This takes 4 discs. There are some minor warts on both (oversaturated audio on the beginning of 9/5/89, most of the opener missing from 11/12 and some of Run for the Roses too), but generally flawless and complete. 9/5 switches between 2 different video sources, which helps to add more visual interest than you sometimes get with these things. Unfortunately, I think the two people were sitting about 10 seats away from each other. : )
Set lists available elsewhere. I’ve posted a couple screen shots on my “fan photo” page to give you an idea of the quality. Enjoy!
Civic Center, Hartford, CT
September 5, 1989
Video Source 1: Panasonic 3240 > JVCS20U > Master VHS
Video Source 2: JVCGXN8U > JVCS20U > Master VHS
Audio: Master Soundboard Cassette > Cassette > DAT > CDR > SHNV3 > WAV
Patched with FOB Aud>Sennheiser Audio 2000 Mic setup > CM W/ Dolby C > Cass
The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA
November 12, 1991
Video Source: AUD (Tripod) > Master JVC Single Tube Camera > Panasonic AG-7400 > JVC Deck > VHS Master > Panasonic AG-7350 > Canopus DVStorm2 card > Adobe Premier Pro (.avi) > MPEG2 > Adobe Encore > DVD5
Audio: Nak 300 Shotguns > VHS Master > Panasonic AG-7350 > Canopus DVStorm2 card > Adobe Premier Pro (.avi) > WAV > Adobe Encore > DVD5
It will consist (at a minimum) of
David Bromberg Quartet 12-31-05
Sonic Solutions DS6>Sonic Solutions PA-6LC3>Sony D-8
Transfer: Sony PCM R500>HHB CDR-830
Front Row Balcony,Left Of Center (In Hat)
01. Don't Let Your Deal Go Down > Fiddle Tunes Medley
02. I'll Take You Back
03. Stay All Night (Stay A Little Longer)
04. Dark As A Dungeon
05. You Don't Have To Go
06. She Aint Home
07. Last Date
08. Big Road
01. Band Intros > Summer Wages
02. Dark Hollow
03. Fiddle Tunes Medley
04. You Have To Mean What You Say
05. New Lee Highway Blues
David Bromberg Band 4/23/78
Calderone Concert Hall, Hempstead, NY
source: FM 1st gen 7" reel @ 7.5ips, dolby b
Jerry Moore's copy
lineage: wlir fm simulcast>reel master>reel
technics rs-1506>sony nr-335>hd-p2 24/48>
cd wave>adobe 2.0 16/44>flac
transferred & seeded to LL by Rob Berger
01: Columbus Stockade Blues/Medley
02: I Want To Go Home
03: Travelin' Man
04: Summer Wages
05: Idol With A Golden Head
06: As Years Go Passing By
07: The Holdup
09: Turkey In The Straw
01: Come In My Kitchen
02: I Like To Sleep Late In The Morning
03: If You Don't Want Me Baby
04: Where Are The Men
05: Yankees Revenge Medley
06: North East Texas Women
07: Kansas City
and likely some nice DB filler shows