New Vines 2009
With collaboration from various kind folks in the Dead.net vining community, our own erickat prepared this handy guide explaining how vining works hereabouts. Many thanks to all involved, and vine on! --
Dead.Net Vines - What It Is & How It Works
(We're changing some things for 2009)
BACKGROUND: The concept of a "vine" is music sharing through conventional means (e.g. mailing cd's or dvd's) with the sign-up list being on-line. The basic idea is that someone starts (seeds) a vine, made up of one or multiple shows,and sends it via mail to the first person who signs up. That person makes a copy for themselves and sends the ORIGINAL media on to the next person on the list. As more people sign up, it continues to grow and grow - hence the name "vine".
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: Make sure you can deal with the media format. Many vines are in audio CD format, so the minimum basic requirement is that you are knowledgeable and capable of copying audio CD's. Other vines are in DVD format, which means you at least need the capability of reading a DVD. Yet others are in SHN or FLAC format- if you sign up for one of these, you need to know how to deal with those formats. Help is readily available - just ask. Here are some helpful links:
VINE: An original physical package of music or video (cd's/dvd's) being passed from person to person
VINEYARD: A topic within Dead.net (where all the vine forums exist) SEEDER: A person who initiates a vine (creates the original "seed" media) PM: Short for "Private Message" - communication provided through dead.net SIGNUP LIST: The list of people who sign up to receive the package. Note - Be careful to get the most up to date version - you may have to go back a few pages from the end to find it.
POSTING: The act of leaving a message in a forum (very important) Post to sign-up Post when a vine arrives ; Post after a vine is sent.
New VINE Process (changes for 2009):
1. Check the Vinedex (updated from time to time, but may be out of date) to make sure it hasn't already been vined. Note - not everything is fair game for vining. Check the following before vining anything:
a) The Vinedex
b) Dicks Picks
If it's not in those places, it is generally fair game. No copyrighted material, please Taper friendly bands only. (Marye may veto a particular vine for copyright or similar reasons.)
2. Post your vine info here (without signup list) - maybe include a note reminding people not to sign-up until it has its own topic.
3. Marye creates a forum topic with the vine info & a blank sign-up list and posts a link in the new vines area (e.g. VINE XXXX Lives HERE - with a link)
4. Then people go to that vine & start signing up NOTE - to make it easier on Marye, you could also PM her with the info. No early sign-ups - Any sign-ups before the vine has its own home will be ignored
SIGNING UP FOR A VINE:
1. Find a VINE you want to sign-up for.
2. Locate the most recent and most complete LIST (towards the end of the vine)
3. Copy the list & paste it into a new message, adding your username at the bottom.
4. Post the message & PM the person directly before you with your name & mailing address. Note the fact that you signed up for this vine (a spreadsheet is a good idea) (it can take a long time between when you sign up and when it arrives, so you really need to track what you're on the hook for & when to expect it- it's a responsibility)
5. Check your PM inbox and the vines you've signed up for periodically, so you know if someone is looking for you AND so you know when to expect each vine's arrival. Remember, if someone posts that they sent it to you & that's the last we know... it will look like you were the one that dropped the ball. If you don't receive a vine when you thought it was coming, then Post
6. When the vine arrives, post to dead.net (on the appropriate vine) that you received it.
7. Take care of the media - don't scratch 'em or crack 'em or put your fingerprints all over them - clean media means a longer lived vine
8. Make a copy for yourself & mail the ORIGINALS to the next person on the list.(If the person directly behind you on the list hasn't sent you their address, PM them. If no response after 3 or 4 days, PM the next in line - but post to the vine so people know)
9. Please make sure to properly package and address the media before mailing it. We have had some unfortunate losses, due to bad addresses, packages falling apart and just plain lost in the mail. Padded envelopes are cheap - and make sure they're securely taped & properly addressed.
10. AFTER you mail it, post on dead.net (on the appropriate vine) that you have sent it to the next person on the list. It is your responsibility to remember what you sign up for and be anticipating its arrival. Post messages to the vine upon receipt and again, after you have sent it on.
1. If you did not receive a PM or email from the person who is next on the list, PM them. If no response, then PM the following person for an address and send it to them, if they respond. If they don't, PM the next person - but in any case, make a posting on Dead.Net (on the appropriate vine) about what you're doing. This is very important. It's the only way we know what's going on.
2. If you were expecting a vine and did not receive it - PM the person who was going to send it to you. In any event, post to Dead.Net (on the appropriate vine) with the circumstances, so everyone knows what is going on. It can't be overstated how important POSTING is - just knowing what is going on will prevent speculation, accusations & hard feelings.
CAVEAT EMPTOR As a friend of mine always says ... "don't sweat the small stuff" - "and by the way - it's all small stuff."
Life happens - car accidents, arrests, people get sick - people abscond - but you can't get overly upset about any of it, especially when it's all free. Sometimes vines disappear - and many times, they are revived or re-seeded by kind folk. This is the most unrestrictive & trusting vine community I know of - and the reason we emphasize posting is so we can keep the music flowing - not to accuse or condemn. If we know a vine is lost, then someone can re-seed and keep the music going. Nobody should get upset or make personal attacks over what happens here. In the past, we've had all sorts of reasons why people just disappear - and when they came back, we were overjoyed that they did. Sometimes, if a person is known to be unreliable, their name will be removed from the vine lists - but that's a rare occurrence.
Phil Closes The Warfield 2008 Vine "Phil Plays Dead"
Phil and Friends- Warfield Theatre 5/13,14,16,17,18/2008 bonus show: Greek Theatre L.A. 5/11/08 (absolutely the best Phil show I have ever seen)
This is the incredible 5-night run where Phil played several
Grateful Dead albums in their entirety over the first 4
nights, with the fifth night a massive 5-set show (5 sets !!!)
with an evolving band lineup in each set.
Very nice audience recordings of all shows, plus the official
free soundboard of opening night. Thanks Phil !
These shows were vined last year, but after two attempts to
send the package from Spain to me in California ( I was #1) it
never arrived, so that vine died. With my shiny new high
speeed internet, I downloaded the shows to rectify the
FLAC files on DVD's. It would take 23 audio CD's to cover
everything, so to keep shipping expenses down, this will be
--------------------------------------- Phil Lesh and Friends Greek Theatre Los Angeles, CA May 11, 2008
Neumann skm 140s->Sound Devices
722->Resample-1.8+(24/192->16/44.1khz); minor glitch
fixes w/ cooledit.
Set 1 : 01. Tuning, 02. Shakedown Street> 03. Jam> Friend of the Devil 04. Bertha 05. Ball and Chain 06. Beat It On Down The Line 07. Cumberland Blues 08. Sugaree
Set 2: 01. New Speedway Boogie 02. Don't Let The Devil Take Your Mind 03. Jack Straw, 04. China Cat Sunflower> *"Atmospheric Transition" Jam> 05. I Know You Rider, 06. Unbroken Chain> 07. The Wheel> 08. Franklin's Tower 09. Donor Rap/Intros 10. E: Box Of Rain
Phil Lesh (bass, vocals) John Molo (drums) Jackie Greene (guitar, vocals) Larry Campbell (guitar+) Steve Molitz (keys)
----------------------------------------------- Warfield Theatre 5/13/08 both audience and Phil's free soundboard copies included soundboard copy has nice CD Jacket artwork
1st set: Grateful Dead (1st album) ("Cream Puff War" featured go-go dancers!) 2nd set: Anthem of The Sun E: Not Fade Away
w/ Bob Weir end of 1st set and all of 2nd
------------------------------------------------ Warfield Theatre 5/14/08 audience
1st set: Jam > Aoxomoxoa 2nd set: Jam > Live Dead E: King Bee
------------------------------------------------ Warfield Theatre 5/16/08 audience
1st set: Workingman's Dead 2nd set: Jam> American Beauty E: Truckin' (last song on American Beauty)
----------------------------------------------- Warfield Theatre 5/17/08 audience
1st set: Skull & Roses 2nd set: Dead Set donor rap came early, with Drums/Space and the last several
songs from Dead Set serving as the encore
----------------------------------------------- Warfield Theatre 5/18/08 audience
1st set: (w/Bob Weir) Tuning->Come Together->Dark
Star->Loose Lucy, West L.A. Fadeaway, The Wheel->Not Fade
2nd set: Lorene, Sing Me Back Home, Deep Elem Blues,
, The Warfield Waltz, Love Please Come
Home, Goodnight Irene
3rd set: Tuning & Licks, Shakedown Street, Ball & Chain, Big
River, Mississippi Half Step-> Althea, Mexican Girl, Stella
Blue (Instrumental), Sugaree
4th set: Ballad of Spider John, Where The Rain Don't Go,
5th set: Tuning, Sugar Magnolia, Unbroken
Chain->Mountains of the Moon->Terrapin Station-> I Know You Rider thanks warfield/ donor rap/ thanks cody/
E: Wind tuning->Truckin'
------------------------------------------------------ enjoy! -Tommo
Hey now! I'll add another Furthur vine into the mix. The 5 east coast shows from December are included. Pretty nice aud recordings. As always, flac files on DVD's. I'll no doubt be doing NYE and Winter Tour vines also!
December 8 and 9, 2009 Hammerstein Ballroom New York, NY
December 11, 2009 Chevrolet Theater @ Oakdale Wallingford, CT
December 12 and 13, 2009 Asbury Park Convention Hall Asbury Park, NJ
"I've stayed in every blue-light cheap hotel. Can't win for tryin. Dust off those rusty strings just one more time. Gonna make em shine."
Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Neil Young, Led Zeppelin inducted Waldorf Astoria Hotel New York City, New York January 12, 1995
MTV broadcast> 1st-gen stereo hi-fi vhs tape (sp speed)>Trutech dvd recorder>dvdr>nero vision >VIDEO_TS folder NTSC DVD
No menu, 8 chapters, no artwork EX video and sound
1) Neil Young induction (10:35) Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam is his presenter
2) Led Zeppelin induction (10:15) Steven Tyler and Joe Perry of Aerosmith are presenters
3) Fuckin' Up - Neil Young with Crazy Horse and Pearl Jam (6:54)
4) Backstage talk (1:07)
Chapters 5-8 are Led Zeppelin
5) Bring It On Home - with Steven Tyler and Joe Perry of Aerosmith (3:03)
6) Long Distance Call - with Steven Tyler and Joe Perry of Aerosmith (3:54)
7) Baby Please Don't Go - with Steven Tyler and Joe Perry of Aerosmith (4:09)
8) When The Levee Breaks - with Neil Young (8:43)
Total time: 48:40
Led Zeppelin is: Jimmy Page - guitar Robert Plant - vocal John Paul Jones - bass Jason Bonham - drums (M.Lee drums on #8)
This is a pro shot live network feed of the 1997 Bill Clinton/Al Gore Inauguration ball. it is Matched up with SDB audio this dvd cuts out during eternity but is really cool. Also I do not have DVD burner so with all my trust I am sending out my personal copy. So please the first person on the list burn two copies and please send mine back (i will include a S.A.S.E.). I have gotten some really good stuff from this vine site so I just wanted to give something back, thanks alot everybody...timgard1 oh yea the band are all wearing tuxedos!! added bonus!
1/20/1997 Washington Convention Center, Washington, DC Bombs Away, Easy Answers, Walkin Blues > Youngblood, Fever*, Money*, When I Paint My Masterpiece, Kansas City, Juke, Little Red Rooster, Into the Mystic*, Horses*, Eternity// *-
with Ricki Lee Jones (Vocals); The Clintons spoke after "Into the Mystic" Only ''Into the Mystic'' (Clinton Inauguration Celebration)
At least I'm enjoying the ride
Thats cool Marye . With much respect to Brent`s familly ! I`ll be looking foward to the official release ! I`m sure it will be a better recording then the one I have .
is here. Joneb, please sign up there. Thanks!
if somebody wanted to do a real public service they'd dig up the tape of the Seva benefit from about the same period at the BCT where Brent was an opening act. The only known recording of "Love Doesn't Have to Be Pretty," as I recall.
we've had a request from people close to Brent to not vine that album, as there is some talk of releasing it. I don't know more than that but I think we need to honor it.