• 1,256 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • marye
    Billy's getting enough love and playing enough incredible stuff that we kinda thought he deserved his own thread.
  • Vguy72
    Billy Strings sat in with TOOL in SLC....

....nice.

• Dennis

I see no tacoma dome,,,, but there is this. Nice recording

• Lovemygirl

… on the subject of future Dave’s picks , how about the performance at Tacoma Dome 10//20/85 ?!

• daverock

Maybe it would be as well to ignore the Keith era for the next couple of years. Unless something truly different can be found, like the Fall 73 shows with horns. Otherwise there's a risk we could be getting slightly inferior versions of shows we've already got.
    And 10/12/68 would be brilliant way to start. No Dave's Picks released so far is remotely like it.

• billy the kiddd
    10/12/68 Avalon Ballroom Official Release Please.

55 years ago today The Dead really tore it up at the Avalon Ballroom. Dave, this needs to be an official release.

• Forensicdoceleven
    Tomorrow lurks in us-the latency to be all that was not achieved

Good morning to HF and all you other rockers!!!

I am here, but in serious lurker mode. One only has to ask............

IF 11/20/71 is the next Dave's, I think people will enjoy it. I'm guessing it's a returned tapes type of deal, if it's an upgrade I'm thinking of quality comparable to Albuquerque/Ann Arbor. Solid show, especially the second set. The question is, what to put on the third CD? Maybe the recently exhibited 1/21/71? Ah, one can only hope.........

Don't really wanna get into details about health issues just yet, but here's a clue.......H/O.............and I don't mean trains..........

You can find the entire cosmos lurking in its least remarkable objects.......

Rock on!

Doc
    There's something about shadows because you make your own mind up about what's lurking in them.....

• JimInMD

Looks like our go fund me page to make bail for HF achieved it's goal.

Welcome back old friend.

• itsburnsy

The 4th pick of the year is generally good but not grate, seems this year is no exception.

In Burlington, VT visiting my daughter for her 21st and leaf peeping, she's at UVM. Was at Nectar's last night for "Dead Night." It rocked, I was one of the oldest guys there, mostly 20's and 30's. Also, this town is FULL of Dead stuff, Phish music, flags, images, nowhere to be found. Cracking me up

• Dennis

Anyone else order this disc? Was supposed to release over a week ago,,,, I've had no word, see no tracking on order receipt.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 1 month

Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

If you see this, wanted to update you. Last years "Undertaking" turned out to be awesome. Getting ready for the second trip through the Series. Last year, by watching them in quick succession, I really harvested much knowledge on the overall story line.

G

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

I say, well done! Going through a second time with the knowledge of the first pass can only enhance!!
Thanks for checking in.

Be Well My Friend!
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

The filler on disc 3 from 12/4/79 is stunning! Stella Blue in particular is an all-timer to these ears!

user picture

Member for

8 months

1979-12-04? could it be the filler you're looking for?
it would certainly round out that daP 51 very nicely, right?
1970-10-24, well, you know Dave won't be that predictable lol or...?
Peace All!
uncle_tripel

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-47-kiel-auditorium-st.-louis-mo-12979/081227834616.html