• 1,208 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Anyone who has ever seen the Dead can testify that one of its shows will add quite a bit of color to the environment here at Stanford. Anyone who has not seen one of these spectacles should have the opportunity to do so. The Grateful Dead are an important part of the Bay Area's cultural history. Those of us who saw them last week can testify that the Dead are alive and well. The Concert Network would be hard-pressed to find an act which would bring Frost Amphitheatre to life as the Dead would. - The Stanford Daily

As you know by now, we'd certainly have voted aye on this motion, so much so, that we've loaded up DAVE'S PICKS 49 with not one, but two complete Grateful Dead shows from the Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 4/27/85 and 4/28/85. The first shows from '85 in the series, these back-to-back hometown performances couldn't be more different while delivering the same level of passion and precision, five hours of it, in fact.

In 1985, the band were celebrating "20 Years So Far," a feat that found them on these particular nights confident with invention in terms of both setlists and playing. There are old songs renewed, rare covers revived, undeniably nuanced Jerry moments, and a few surprises from Brent Mydland too. While it's impossible to select highlights, we can say with certainty that the overall clarity of these shows is unparalleled, courtesy of Dan Healy's recordings.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 49: FROST AMPHITHEATRE, STANFORD U, PALO ALTO, CA 4/27/85 & 4/28/85 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • uncle_tripel

...hmm, how's about wave that flag day june 14th, great day for smokin' OUT a new box...read the signs, connect the lines, pay your fines, read the rhyme

• DeadVikes

Smoking 🚬

How about a big announcement tomorrow?

• icecrmcnkd

Yes, more cleaned up ‘85 please.

• Oroborous

85 Rocks!
    “Please sir, may I have another”?

• DeadVikes

Yes, good to see at least this one sell out. Such a great release. Just revisited this last week. Shows the depth of the vault if you like most eras, which I do.

Can't believe the others are still available. Might have to revisit #46 tomorrow.

• uncle_tripel

...sold OUT

• Oroborous

For a real good time!
    Hopefully we won’t have to wait another 10 YEARS for some 85 love!

Well 49 old friend, it’s been a gas but I guess it’s happy trails for awhile.
    Tanks for the memories

• 1stshow70878

Had to look that up.
    The spoken part between:
    Redemption funds,
    Stocks and bonds.
    Scruggs, the master of the three finger rolling style. Changed everything.
    Cheers

• dmcvt

I tried to post but was Hey Nowed to death. Thanks Jim for perspective, good to keep big picture when greed rears its ugly head. First show, you called it, Trischka's first set was dedicated to the Earl Jam release which will drop June 7 sparked by him being sent a thumb drive with Earl and John Hartford jams, like the Pizza tapes. Yes, audience sing along, Rainy Day Women, Lady Madonna if you can believe it in bluegrass and yes, the Beverly theme, all three verses. concert is on line search on the Mainstay in Maryland.

• uncle_tripel

...NRPS, 1970-05-15, early show F i LL m o r east
    ...Little FEAT, down on the farm
    ...Chet Atkins, The Essential Chet Atkins
    ...Van Morrison, Enlightenment
    ...Kill to get Crimson, Mark Knopfler

enjoy your day everyone, and PEACE for ALL!
    uncle_tripel

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 1 month

Anyone who has ever seen the Dead can testify that one of its shows will add quite a bit of color to the environment here at Stanford. Anyone who has not seen one of these spectacles should have the opportunity to do so. The Grateful Dead are an important part of the Bay Area's cultural history. Those of us who saw them last week can testify that the Dead are alive and well. The Concert Network would be hard-pressed to find an act which would bring Frost Amphitheatre to life as the Dead would. - The Stanford Daily

As you know by now, we'd certainly have voted aye on this motion, so much so, that we've loaded up DAVE'S PICKS 49 with not one, but two complete Grateful Dead shows from the Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 4/27/85 and 4/28/85. The first shows from '85 in the series, these back-to-back hometown performances couldn't be more different while delivering the same level of passion and precision, five hours of it, in fact.

In 1985, the band were celebrating "20 Years So Far," a feat that found them on these particular nights confident with invention in terms of both setlists and playing. There are old songs renewed, rare covers revived, undeniably nuanced Jerry moments, and a few surprises from Brent Mydland too. While it's impossible to select highlights, we can say with certainty that the overall clarity of these shows is unparalleled, courtesy of Dan Healy's recordings.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 49: FROST AMPHITHEATRE, STANFORD U, PALO ALTO, CA 4/27/85 & 4/28/85 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Danehead

Pretty good game eh.
Except for the outcome ; )
Ok, now I can say GO LEAFs again lol
They had a sustained intensity ive perhaps not seen from them before, a good sign? Hopefully they’ll peak at the right time!
Oh, really dig the black and blue unis

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Very unusual format, but very very interesting answers. The mime in charge asks informed questions. Most interesting thing to me was the revelation what happened with the Dead/Hendrix jam that didn't happen at the Avalon Ballroom in October 1968, but says they DID play together at the Ark at another point. Now that is completely new information as far as I've ever heard. Look for Mime Talk with Special Guest Betty Cantor-Jackson on youtubes. Her descriptions of Cassady "driving" the bus from the middle of the aisle put another spin on his legendary driving skills.

Funny, because my previous video watch was of John Entwistle at the Musician's Institute in LA around 1990-91, where he gave very open and honest answers on The Who and other musicians, like falling asleep at Clapton concerts, regretting not forming Led Zeppelin, but also how Hendrix offered him the bass spot in his band, and they jammed when Hendrix first arrived and that he noted Hendrix would go see all the famous British guitarists and borrow bits of their technique and tricks and stagecraft, etc and very quickly rolled it all together into the Hendrix that exploded onto the scene.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by That Mike

It's a real Shakespearean tragedy.

There's an IT clown car on the loose at death net. More than half my posts never go through and by the time I get them to post I am frustrated and the initial benevolence rarely comes through.

Enougheth is enougheth already.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

No posting due to the friend of the devil, Hey Now

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by That Mike

Oro, great game, 2 elite teams, fast, lively crowd. I hope we meet in the playoffs. Vegas here Tuesday, another great game.
icecrmcnkd, I was on Pearl Jam site for tour info, saw they recently had a Flyer theme night in Philly. A big DRW fan is Michigan boy Dave Kloc, artist on some DaP releases.
Trey coming here in May, but SRO at the venue, which is kinda tough for a whole show. A game time decision, as they say.

user picture

Member for

3 years 3 months

Maybe its too early to speculate but I've got a X~mass list anyways, up for debate here. ~1stQtr.; Double Set 1982 Frost 10/9 & 10/10, ~2ndQtr.; Fox Theater, Atlanta, GA 12/17/78 ~With 2nd set filler from 12/22/78 Dallas, TX {Bonus Disc 2nd set filler 11/24/78 Passaic, NJ} ~3rdQtr.; Jersey City, NJ 8/4/76, 4thQtr.; I can't decide between 1972 & 1988. Springfield, MA 10/2/72 ~or~ BuckEye Lake, OH 6/25/88?
Can't wait for the surprise of #51 & #52 and eagerly awaiting the Paladium!

user picture

Member for

8 months

In reply to by RyXs

...how NICE would your 1982 WISH be if it shows-up as #52! personally, BALMOR 1982-04-19 is my WISH, let's see what TPTB decide because '82 is OVERDUE; yeah, and I know they HEAR us.

uncle_tripel

Talk...THNX for the tip...will look-it-up

uncle_tripel

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

Now THAT was a show. Amazing duet from Phil and Jerry during Dark Star, wonderful Eyes. One of the GOAT TLEOs. How is it THAT one has been overlooked by Dick and Dave alike?

Tryin' the short post thing, since EVERYTHING ELSE I've tried to do gets Hey Now'd.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Schedule is out. I'm in for 6/5 at the Santa Barbara Bowl with Little Feat.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Colorado dates in July for Grand Junction and two at Red Rocks. Hmm...
Cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

....no Vegas, but San Diego is on a Saturday!
Happy Anniversary to Dave's 29. San Bernardino 1977. Spin it today!

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

I will be trying to tickets to at least one of the Red Rocks shows and at least one of the Berkeleys. Fingers crossed for better seats than I got last time.

Over and out.

user picture

Member for

3 years 3 months

Good call Crow! I agree fully there are some hidden gems of 1973 left to release. I should check out the one you mention in particular(thks 4 the tip!). Dark Stars in 1973 very heavenly indeed. I do tend to break up the year in three chunks, with Weather Report Suite as the defining separation. So there's them fall shows post Dave's #38, and then the "Glen" & all the May and June stuff. Preceded by shows early in the year with a vibe of Dick's #28. Dick's (in name only after #14) released more late 1973 gigs and Dave's done more of the spring shows but not to any one extreme. Personally I have a penchant for the mid year May & June shows, {HCS 2023 box & pNw 2018 box} and a 1973 release will probably have a slot in 2025 or 2026 by my estimates. Still awaiting a Watkins Glen! ****Est. Prophesies*** #51~Primal Pig, #52~Post Brent, #53~1982, #54~1978, #55~1976, #56~1973? I've got cases for autumn 1972, & any 1988 as well.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by RyXs

The first six shows of the year, including 2/15, would make an as good as, if not better, box than HCS, with 2/9 being the weak show, for point of reference.
Don’t believe me, go listen!

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

I first saw Derek Trucks in the Allman Brothers Band. I thought Warren Haynes was special, but Derek was phenomenal, still making a name for himself. An early master of slide guitar.

I'm not trying to piss on anyone's parade here, just offering that, to my ears, the fire in Derek is rarely turned up past 5 or 6 in TTB songs... all the edges are rounded off.

It's real, organic music played by good people and in a good spirit. Unfortunately, it bores the shit out of me.

I got all excited for their take on the Layla album which they played live. It sucked.

Later

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

I first saw Derek Trucks in the Allman Brothers Band. I thought Warren Haynes was special, but Derek was phenomenal, still making a name for himself. An early master of slide guitar.

I'm not trying to piss on anyone's parade here, just offering that, to my ears, the fire in Derek is rarely turned up past 5 or 6 in TTB songs... all the edges are rounded off.

It's real, organic music played by good people and in a good spirit. Unfortunately, it bores the shit out of me.

I got all excited for their take on the Layla album which they played live. It sucked.

Later

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

....so discordy, Ledded posted it twice!
Lol. Just kidding.
At least Derek didn't fall too hard into the Joel/Brinkley category w/ Tedeschi. Ha!

Great band. Amazing live, tons of soul. It made me think of a great buddy of mine wishing they would turn him loose more.

Posting because of the 1st time I saw Derek Trucks was with Zero at the Maritime Hall. 01/31/98. I loved that period of Zero. He sat in for the entire show and its a wonderful listen. A guest sit in that does no detract from the band and gets plenty of time to shine. Awesome show.

I have never enjoyed Derek Trucks playing as much as I think I ought to. I love slide guitar playing, but I also find his approach a bit lacking in power. I saw them in London about 6 years ago, and was a bit disappointed. Around the same time I saw the North Mississippi Allstars, and they did have more of a groove on the night I saw them.

The big exceptions are the "I Am The Moon" cds. A friend burned them for me, and those I do like. I'm not a big fan of Susan Tedeshci's voice, to be honest.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

What a show! The Dark Star that all other Dark Stars are judged against. The whole show is a complete knockout!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I like their effort to revive that Delaney & Bonnie + Friends thing and the sound of the band with all those back-up singers and horns. And I'm amazed at Derek's touch and skill watching his hands on video close ups. But (here it comes) when he does that zipping up or down the fretboard thing it has an annoying sound like amplified acoustic guitar when your fingers squeak while moving your hand. Not quite as bad as nails on a chalkboard but then he gets to repeating it and I get turned off to him. Other than that I wouldn't mind seeing them. I don't mind her voice at all. She and Mike Mattison sound great together.
Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

You are 100% on point in regards to 2/27/69, it's my favorite show from 1969. Primal Dead INDEED!!!

...thnx for sharing; me with a big SMILE after reading point #7, having had a sales career of over 30 yrs & a miniscule understanding of MARKETING to be dangerous; but as we ALL know, it's the customer RELATIONSHIP which is of the most IMPORTANCE and VALUE

uncle_tripel

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

It's a curious thing what music we like and what we don't. Derek Trucks is technically superb, but for some unquantifiable reason I don't really get it. I like a simpler more groove based approach when it comes to slide guitar, I would say. If anyone has improved on Elmore James, I haven't yet heard them. And although THAT riff sounds simple, and looks it on paper, I've never heard anyone nail it like he did.

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by wissinomingdeadhead

I first saw Derek in 1994 in the local concert hall. He came out as a special guest with the ABB. He was 15 I think. Interesting thing about this ABB concert was when we were walking out I said to friends, that was more like a Dickey Betts Band concert. Just a few years later he was out. Remember seeing the ABB on their tour in 2000. If I have this right, Dickey was out mid-tour. By the time I saw that tour Jimmy Herring was in Betts position. I am a huge fan of Mr. Betts but also know there were struggling dynamics within the band.

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by daverock

With slide guitar discussion, wondering where folks would put a few others. Fair to say acoustic slide and electric slide are considerably a light year apart. Bonnie is sneaky good, Billy G too, Sonny Landreth incredible ...first guy that really blew me away was Ry Cooder... his work on Memo From Turner. Crank that one up and tell me not. He's almost the only reason to listen to Jamming with Edward.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

David Lindley.
Just exactly perfect.
Sonny can make sounds on a guitar like no one else.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I must agree, a fantastic player, slide and all other styles!
Saw him live in Neu Isenburg (El Rayo-X) on March 21st, 1983.
It was his 39th birthday.
Great guy, great musician.
May I say underrated?
Cheers,
G.
(got nice photos)

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

I'll just chime in with my two cents about Derek and Susan. Their TTB is, hands down, the top live band in the world -- for me. And have been for 4-5 years. I'd put Susan second only to Bonnie Raitt and Mavis Staples (yep, two at No. 1!) -- she's got soul, vocal chops, great song selection and writing and she can burn on a Strat like few others.

Derek I have seen now for perhaps 20 years. His slide playing is, for me, the very best in the electric arena on this planet. He doesn't sing, per se, but his slide playing is akin to Coltrane, Pharaoh Sanders as well as Duane Allman, who I rank with Jimi Hendrix in their respective bags. Very few in that circle except Jerry, Roy B, and, of course, the three Kings (BB, Freddie, Albert) and those mentions are perhaps only appropriate to a GD forum, because then there's also Lonnie Johnson, Django Reinhart, Charlie Christian, Charlie Byrd, Les Paul -- them's deep waters! Whoever you include, you exclude someone worthy. Which is why I typically resist or qualify my remarks.

So I'm definitely not taking any position with anyone else's take on Derek and Susan, but I find his soaring beyond melodic lines to be transcendant and an unparalleled inspriration as a band leader (to his band). Susan brings it all back home with sensationally emotive singing and the rest of the band is a powerhouse.

So glad to be securing tics to their two-nighter this summer at Red Rocks (along with Joe Russo in June), which makes this my 50th year at the Rocks. Started in 1974, missed only a handful of years when I lived too far away to make it, and I'm still alive, still rockin', still going to select shows AND, in the immortal words of Maxwell Smart, Agent 86, "And... loving it!"

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In no particular order...

David Lindley
Sonny Landreth
Roy Rogers
Lowell George
Ry Cooder

Honorable mention - Bob Weir
(Just kidding)

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by simonrob

Love the burgers and the guitarist.

Love The ones mentioned. If you haven't seen Clapton's Crossroad benefits, Sonny Landreth does some smoking material. Doyle Bramhall II also has some major playing.

And if memory serves, Trucks and Bramhall were part of Clapton's touring band about 8 years ago. Will have to research a little bit.

But I am tired and fussy.

And who can forget SRV - Lookin out at the weather - I see, Cant stand the weather

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

... to say how much I'm enjoying this release. Both shows are excellent and have excellent sound quality. Phil is loud in the mix and his playing is phenomenal. My Brother Esau played loud is pure joy. There is a funny moment at the very beginning of Disc 4 as they are trying to start Bucket. I am thankful for a great 85 release. I pulled out 11/1/85, 6/24/85 and the DVD So Far.... So Good! Looking forward to more 85 in the future as I have always been partial to this year. I'm also looking forward to #50.... and beyond. Thanks Dave L & Co.
I'm not a robot!

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

Jerry Garcia, Elmore James, Son House, Mike Bloomfield, Muddy Waters, and on and on.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

KPFA 94.1 FM. will be airing the annual Grateful Dead Marathon this Saturday from 9am pst. to 12am pst. 15 full hours of live tapes and in studio guests. David Gans & Tim Lynch put on a great show. On the radio at 94.1 FM, streaming on nugs.net, gdradio.net, and kpfa.org.

....Golden Knights losing streak broken.
Thanks to this release from '85, I've been playing every show on relisten from those Frost shows on at work. Background mostly, but listening.
Some good stuff there. Most of the first tapes I got back in the day were from 1984-1985 so still somewhat familiar. They were brand spanking new back then.
Made it to 1986 and now at the Hampton shows in March.
Bobby, "Now you'll see what happens when we practice". Then the Box Of Rain bustout. I totally forgot about that. Literal goosebumps. Awesome.
My first show is coming up. Probably Thursday.
Edit. Looks like the TTB are doing the "swamp family" fan club pre-sale thing regarding ticket sales. Pearl Jam does that. Whatever works I guess, because the Vegas shows are pretty much sold out.
Should be a good time, because hanging out with thousands of people that love what I love gets me off.
Scored upper level center section 4th row for my friends and I.
Now Phish at The Sphere is a totally different animal. Lordy.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Put me in the “I don’t get it” camp as well. It seems like I should enjoy the music much more than I actually do. Not sure why. Kinda like Steely Dan.

That Patrick Kane trade looks pretty good so far. Sorry, Chelios.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

Yes, one of many good moves by Yzerman last year.
A totally different team than a year ago.
Hope they keep the momentum going.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

In reply to by dmcvt

DMCVT - it was watching "Performance", in the mid 1970's that turned me on to liking slide guitar, too. Ry Cooder - I had never heard anything that sounded so other worldly. Deeply psychedelic...or maybe that was me. Whatever, I still like it. I watched "Paris, Texas" for the first time in a couple of decades earlier this week - and Ry Cooder plays some of the same licks in that. Incredible tone.
I basically prefer acoustic slide to electric. I usually play this at home everyday - a great hobby! If I was to pick my 5 favourites, it would change everyday probably. But for today

Robert Johnson ......always at the top
Blind Willie Johnson
Son House
Elmore James
Muddy Waters - I played his recordings from 1950-1951 just this morning. Really cuts through to the bone.
Mississippi Fred McDowell

And an honourable mention for Michael Messer my favourite slide guitarist from Britain.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Vguy72

We got schooled by a better team, VGuy.
TTB presale starts today for Swamp Club members, which I am not, so by General Sale on Friday I expect the usual scraps after TicketBastard parcels off tix for “friends and family”. I wanted to see Neil Young on his upcoming tour, and I am member of his pre-sale thing, but good luck. Not happening.
I miss the days when the devoted lined up at ticket sellers, you felt like you earned getting the seats you got. Maybe I’ll take my wife to Dune 2 this weekend as consolation.
As Mr Ones so often rightly pointed out, music is the best! Getting concert tix, well…

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

Absolute knockout of a show. Its to bad 1969 wasn't a leap year, because we would have had 2/29/69 to listen to.

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

but no one has mentioned Jesse Ed Davis...for a time he worked with Ry & Taj Mahal in the mid to late 60's...his playing on "Statesboro Blues" influenced Duane...Jesse Ed played the lead on J Browne's "Doctor My Eyes" & Dylan's "Watching The River Flow"...his credits are incredible, playing with everyone...sadly he passed at the age of 43 from an overdose...

user picture

Member for

4 years 2 months

Am anxious to hear this, am always in full agreement with BTK, having been at many of the same West Coast shows in the 80’s. I’ve got so many of the official releases (only missed a few Daves and the Trunk, otherwise have it all) and 400 hours of pretty good cassettes (from the olden tape trading days), that I seldom listen to shows in the archive. I usually will download music into iTunes, load it into my phone/watch and get a good listen in while exercising. The problem for me is that I know of no way to download soundboards off the archive. Without a download, because of my own habits, I just won’t get that quality listening. So the first question for my dead brethren is, is there a way to download a soundboard off the archive? And let me say categorically, I have never and will never sell, replicate, distribute or otherwise profit in any way from such downloads. Second question is whether there is a decent audience version of this show, because I generally have no problem downloading those archives. Thank you for any advice you may have …. tcc

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

My buddy in Crested Butte got a notice today (33 days after shipping out from Fontana) that his original was returned damaged. No other info. Well at least we know that one wasn't stolen, lol. No such news on mine or our other buddy's in the Butte. There's Mail Innovations for you.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by topchinacat

Might be the last person to learn of certain apps and hesitate to do anything that might snuff the golden goose... but, in the interests of sharing music, found two apps worth installing... to download what seems like an incredible selection of performance aud and sbd from many bands. Relisten is one, Attics is the other. Installed these on phones and tablets to build a collection of concerts from the Dead, Billy Strings, TTB, Zero, Phil and Friends, JRAD, Phish, on and on. Typically at my cave, these go via blue tooth to a quality portable speaker to allow mobile music outdoors, they could send to a high quality audio set up, can't vouch for audiophile levels there.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by dmcvt

No Lowell George or Paul Barrere?
Hell they taught Bonnie how to play slide…
And glad at least BTK has Garcia listed.
You don’t necessarily think of Jerry as a “slide” player but I’d say he’s no slouch!
Or Warren Haynes or Jimmy Herring?
EDIT: sorry Simon, see you have Lowell listed.

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by Oroborous

Oro... love ya bud, but Bonnie was playing guitar from age 8, her first major slide influence probably Robert Johnson when she was 15... later Ry Cooder, by 1967/68 when I believe she was at college near Boston, with John Hammond Jr, who hasn't had a shout out yet for his great slide work. There's an interview with Bonnie in guitarworld that covers all this and Lowell too. Lucky to meet John a few years ago, breakfast at his hotel during the North Atlantic Blues Festival in Rockland, Maine where we happened to be staying as well. Hammond very kindly invited us over to sit with him and his wife, such a humble guy who tore it up with Hendrix and Bonnie back in the day. BBKing called Bonnie one of the best on slide. This years NABF program looks to be quite fine.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-49-frost-amphitheatre-stanford-university-palo-alto-ca-42785-and-42885/081227817442.html