• 1,202 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Anyone who has ever seen the Dead can testify that one of its shows will add quite a bit of color to the environment here at Stanford. Anyone who has not seen one of these spectacles should have the opportunity to do so. The Grateful Dead are an important part of the Bay Area's cultural history. Those of us who saw them last week can testify that the Dead are alive and well. The Concert Network would be hard-pressed to find an act which would bring Frost Amphitheatre to life as the Dead would. - The Stanford Daily

As you know by now, we'd certainly have voted aye on this motion, so much so, that we've loaded up DAVE'S PICKS 49 with not one, but two complete Grateful Dead shows from the Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 4/27/85 and 4/28/85. The first shows from '85 in the series, these back-to-back hometown performances couldn't be more different while delivering the same level of passion and precision, five hours of it, in fact.

In 1985, the band were celebrating "20 Years So Far," a feat that found them on these particular nights confident with invention in terms of both setlists and playing. There are old songs renewed, rare covers revived, undeniably nuanced Jerry moments, and a few surprises from Brent Mydland too. While it's impossible to select highlights, we can say with certainty that the overall clarity of these shows is unparalleled, courtesy of Dan Healy's recordings.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 49: FROST AMPHITHEATRE, STANFORD U, PALO ALTO, CA 4/27/85 & 4/28/85 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Oroborous

For a real good time!
    Hopefully we won’t have to wait another 10 YEARS for some 85 love!

Well 49 old friend, it’s been a gas but I guess it’s happy trails for awhile.
    Tanks for the memories

• 1stshow70878

Had to look that up.
    The spoken part between:
    Redemption funds,
    Stocks and bonds.
    Scruggs, the master of the three finger rolling style. Changed everything.
    Cheers

• dmcvt

I tried to post but was Hey Nowed to death. Thanks Jim for perspective, good to keep big picture when greed rears its ugly head. First show, you called it, Trischka's first set was dedicated to the Earl Jam release which will drop June 7 sparked by him being sent a thumb drive with Earl and John Hartford jams, like the Pizza tapes. Yes, audience sing along, Rainy Day Women, Lady Madonna if you can believe it in bluegrass and yes, the Beverly theme, all three verses. concert is on line search on the Mainstay in Maryland.

• uncle_tripel

...NRPS, 1970-05-15, early show F i LL m o r east
    ...Little FEAT, down on the farm
    ...Chet Atkins, The Essential Chet Atkins
    ...Van Morrison, Enlightenment
    ...Kill to get Crimson, Mark Knopfler

enjoy your day everyone, and PEACE for ALL!
    uncle_tripel

• icecrmcnkd

Those were the daze……

• 1stshow70878

We ask that all the time.
    Ashes, ashes, all fall down.
    But stuff's getting better I think.
    Cheers
    Had way more but got HNed.

• JimInMD

It did cost over a $Billion dollars to build. They are going to have to recoup that somehow. I can't figure out this one, it's probably worth it once or twice if you're sitting on such a wad of cash in your pocket that it's giving you curvature of the spine carrying it around. Especially if there are party favors involved.

I passed on D&C and Phish but have given this a lot of thought. I'm waiting for holographic Elvis opening up for the GD with holographic Jerry and holograpahic Pigpen. I wonder what they'd charge for that?

So I guess I'm with ConeKid on this one. Too much, too fast.

Edit: I would gladly pay scalper prices for the chance to see the Grateful Dead with Jerry at the Greek Theater again. I'd call that a bargain. My first GD ticket cost me $10, showed up a half hour before show time and the tickets were tenth row center purchased from the nicest couple I have perhaps ever met outside the venue without fear of scalpers or fake tickets, etc. Soon after that I happily gave the nice gentleman hanging out in the dark, under the stairwell another $4 for two small pieces of parchment about 4 minutes after we got inside. Another bargain, I wish I could thank him. What a change 42 years can make in a world. What have we become?

• icecrmcnkd

Ticketmaster Platinum is dynamic pricing.
    What a scam.

I haven’t been to a show since 2017 D&C (where I paid $99 for GA floor).
    Instead of a trip to Vegas for D&C Sphere I can use that cash for a new refrigerator and living room furniture. I’ll get way more enjoyment out of those.

• Vguy72
    Face was $160 when they first went on sale....

....so, yeah.
    I would've paid $500, but it didn't pan out. Could I afford $1200? Yes. But there has to be a line drawn in the sand at some point.

• 1stshow70878

I'll be looking for that tribute to Earl.
    Been a fan since the Beverly Hillbillies, lol.
    Tony T. in a club? Heavenly!
    Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

Anyone who has ever seen the Dead can testify that one of its shows will add quite a bit of color to the environment here at Stanford. Anyone who has not seen one of these spectacles should have the opportunity to do so. The Grateful Dead are an important part of the Bay Area's cultural history. Those of us who saw them last week can testify that the Dead are alive and well. The Concert Network would be hard-pressed to find an act which would bring Frost Amphitheatre to life as the Dead would. - The Stanford Daily

As you know by now, we'd certainly have voted aye on this motion, so much so, that we've loaded up DAVE'S PICKS 49 with not one, but two complete Grateful Dead shows from the Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 4/27/85 and 4/28/85. The first shows from '85 in the series, these back-to-back hometown performances couldn't be more different while delivering the same level of passion and precision, five hours of it, in fact.

In 1985, the band were celebrating "20 Years So Far," a feat that found them on these particular nights confident with invention in terms of both setlists and playing. There are old songs renewed, rare covers revived, undeniably nuanced Jerry moments, and a few surprises from Brent Mydland too. While it's impossible to select highlights, we can say with certainty that the overall clarity of these shows is unparalleled, courtesy of Dan Healy's recordings.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 49: FROST AMPHITHEATRE, STANFORD U, PALO ALTO, CA 4/27/85 & 4/28/85 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

3rd time with 4-27-85 but the first time just sitting on the couch rather than moving around the house doing things.
Sounds grate. And Phil is thumping, especially on Esau and Cold Rain.
The sound quality gives me hope that Summer ‘85 can be cleaned up.

From what I understand, if we were robots, we would be the last to know. Even if you were aware of it - why would you own up ?
Last 5
Blue and Lonesome - The Rolling Stones
Asbury Park New Jersey 6/28/74 - King Crimson
Memphis Blues Box cd 10 Beale Street Holiday 1938-1939 - Various
Elektronische Musik 1952-1960 - Stockhausen
Rocket To Russia - The Ramones

Last Dead 12/19/73 Dicks Picks 1. - this new record sounds awesome.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 3 months

Just arrived in Erlangen/Bavaria. Hope you will get your copy also very soon, GERD!!!

user picture

Member for

7 months 2 weeks

...interesting comment regarding “weak sounding” [the entire show(s)? or partial set? or couple of tunes?]

uncle_tripel

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by gerhard

Glad our bros/sis across the pond are now able to get their 85 on!
You go Gerd! Sounds like you just need a little black hash to round out that continental breakfast! ; )

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Laissez les bons temps rouler!
Enjoy the feast. I'm thinking ribs.
What are you giving up for Lent?
I'll be cutting back on beers, but not completely. Kind of a jack-catholic attempt, lol. I think Jerry would approve.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

12 years 7 months

DaP should go into the Digital download domain as well like the yearly box sets.
How would you not want to make more money ???

Garcia Provisions allow you to go back to GarciaLive Vol 1 and D/L if needed?

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

Leave it to Daverock to solve the mystery: the reason I keep getting Hey Now'd is that I actually AM a robot!!! I just didn't know!!!

Mind = blown.

In other evidence that the very fabric of reality is currently tearing itself to bits: on July 13, 2024, Dark Star Orchestra will be at the Berkeley Greek ... playing the same set list the Dead played there on July 13, 1984. I was at that 1984 show, and I kinda want to go to the Greek for the DSO thing, except that I'm a little afraid it might break the space-time continuum.

Ah well. I'm kind of tired of this universe anways. Further!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

But if you see your 1984 self don't give him any tips on the future. We all know what that Sports Records booklet did to Marty McFly.
Cheers

Difference is that at Garcia's you can also still purchase ALL volumes of Garcia Live as well on Cd. Daves are limited edition, numbered releases. There's a plenty {plethora} of Dick's, Road Trips, and that & this already and available.
Ya gotta trade burner discs like tapes were back in the day with fellow headz!

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by RyXs

Always make my funk the p-funk. Wantstoget...

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

Got his in the mail today.
He just posted the unboxing video.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

gd dot lnk dot to forward slash BBDP

Hope this goes through. Interesting Billboard article interview with Pinkus and Lemieux about the evolution of the dead releases.

Hope you all are good.

nitecat

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

I give up nothing. Time to double down.

Seems like the reCraptcha stuff is dying back down...?

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

DP 49 arrived in Blighty south and is in the burner spinning to its final resting cloud. Incidentally, the old man's wedding ring also arrived in the post! He passed some nearly 20 years ago now, so a wait is a wait is a wait! Bless him.

Dave Rock. I owe you an apology. Life has been hectic since last we spoke. I will try and find your earthly electronic address and pick up from when we left off re the last DP vinyl. It's till there in its shipping box... Waiting. My bad! Incidentally, I have the limited DP 2 release to offer, in hand, also. Long story short, I hedged my bets (you might recall the tax kerfuffle) and now have two. I think you already have that one though... If so, let me know and I'll throw it our there to the wider audience, ideally in the UK... Be well!

Pinkus says. “There are that many great shows in the vault that if we continue at the cadence that we’re at, we’re good for another 60 years.”

“In terms of the quality of the music and the quality of the sound, we are in the realm of decades,” concurs Lemieux,

Sweet!
Up the cadence Pinkus.

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

What I'm hearing from many who've seen U2, beyond the fact that U2 are not in their finest hour - just opinions I'm sharing, not based on my own experience I haven't gone - is that the Sphere IS the show.

The 300 level is said to be the best blend of both band and surroundings. This thing will swallow your mind. Have to be careful on the back of the floor and rear of 100 level as an overhang cuts off some of the dimensional view.

Interior supposed to be very sci-fi and space agey, with ample bathrooms and bars.

Just sharing what I've been hearing...

How 'bout them Chefs!

\m/

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

Is the number DL2 received in the mail.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

Wow, what a couple of great shows. It would be nice if they released them in complete order and remastered them.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Hi. If anyone on the CS side sees this (or if anyone else can point me in the right direction). With 49 arriving on Friday, I literally just realised that 48 hasn't ever turned up. I was looking at the library to double check my naming conventions etc. for ripping, and nada. No 48, no bear on a skateboard. I revisited my physical stash where everything goes immediately after digitising, again nothing. No JPG cover art in my cover art folder. I checked the tracklist again and I guarantee I haven't listened to this release. It occurred to me that I'd just let it be in the knowledge that sometimes they can take a little longer to get here, but I've obviously put it "out of sight, out of mind" too far! It will be the first actual non receipt I've ever had from dead.Net since I first used them in the beginning. I had one cross over where a package was shipped gain and arrived the same day as the very delayed original. Something always turns up in the end. Not this time though.

I've had some pretty heavy stuff going on back in the real word. No sympathy required, but lost my best friend out of nowhere and way too early and suddenly. Sadly avoidable too if not for the ego and pride of a duty consultant at a south London A&E who failed to recognise sepsis in an otherwise very healthy man my age who was due Gall Bladder removal very soon and who had a recent history of Gallstones and Pancreatitis issues.

He was being admitted for emergency surgery, but the surgical team were overridden literally on the way to prep by this fool consultant whilst my friend, Kevin, was in the lift being taken to a holding high dependency ward, and sent home with Morphine to wait for the surgery due date ten day later... After being delayed twice by almost a year.

The Consultant got shirty after being challenged by Kevin's wife who is about 4 foot nothing and very unassuming and quiet, as to why he has overriding what everyone else was calling serious. His response was to say, and I quote "It's not that complicated. I'm in charge and the Surgical Team would admit everyone if they had the chance."

Genius. Bloody fool. Kevin survived five or so more days in agony at home before suffering a fatal heart attack induced by critical sepsis and organ failure due to multiple internal abscesses and blockages caused by Gallstones.

What hurt so badly was that at his funeral, there was a huge turnout, and in every other slide projected during the celebration part, my wife and I were with kevin and his wife, doing something stupid and fun. My favourite being myself carrying him across a flooded road in the New Forest like Friar Tuck. He and his wife carrying the hand carved and decorated hiking sticks I made for them back in 1995 or so.

So, that happened... Sorry to unload, but I still find myself having anger splurges... That and other things like moving and job loss (mutual divorce), I can see why I was distracted on this one. So basically, DP 48 isn't here and I'd like to sort it out if possible please?

One of the last conversations I had with Kevin, it came up that he'd picked up Terrapin Station. He knew I was a dead head and he had "dabbled"... He was massively into his music. That's why he stayed in Wimbledon when he could have moved out of the city. Right there next to the tube station with easy and ready access to gigs. He averaged at least a show of some type or other a week for the entire time I knew him, and it was pretty normal for him to do 10 on the trot, brief pause, Glastonbury, a few world cinema festivals, more gigs. And a happy marriage. A CD collection the size of small house and a Vinyl stash to rival. I remember myself and a few other fellas meeting up to see Phish at Shepherds Bush then crashing on his living room floor, utterly spent, stoned, drunk and happy. He was like that. Phish? never heard of them! Let's go check it out! I recall the main man of Ozric Tentacles being there and checking it out to his approval. I'm not sure he was into the music so much as appreciative of the musicianship.

I'm a bit like that with Phish. I can dig the sounds and the cleverness and craft, but lyrically they're a mess in my limited opinion. Billy Breathes is pretty spot on, but outside of that album, there' a lot of nonsense waltzing as wit. Guilty of playing "clever" because they can, not because it sounds great, sometimes.

Anyway, Terrapin. It was coming back from ComiCon London and he mentioned that he liked the idea of a whole album side being one long suite, and really enjoyed it. I of course immediately jumped in and tried to sell him on "Everything Dead Ever" realised that was a disservice (baby steps) and steered him towards the Terrapin suite on the many disc'ed "tribute" from a few years ago that The National were heavily involved with. It's a great recording. played as live in studio I think (certainly the side of that session seems to point that way), the entire suite with percussion as originally intended (I imagine, based on the whole production overdub that Olsen (it was Olsen wasn't it? laid down causing Mickey to go mental...).

It's a very airy performance. Open space, cavernous, but warm and familial. One of the better and more realised Grateful Dead covers, made great by the "as live" recording and mic placing. I really do need to get that set. It's readily available streaming and it's a bit of a monster. Not everything hits, but there's enough good grist to warrant hard copy in the collection in my opinion.

Let's face it. if "Ready or Not" can get a place in your home, then this certainly can. Sorry, but firmly in the camp of "Ready or Not" is "Not". In fact I can't listen to it, and when I try, I just can't fathom how the Samba in the Rain on it wasn't thrown in a river in a burlap sack full of rocks.

I went to an Aston Martin owners' club meet when I was a kid, and we parked up next to a DB6 which looked like an unloved overworked tractor. My dad said it was a joke by a cheeky someone who wanted to demonstrate everything NOT to do with a classic car. That's how I feel about that Samba'. It's almost like it's on the record as a cautionary tale. "Are you sure you want this foks? Cos' this is what you've got coming if you start playing in those particular weeds!" "Grateful Dead. The Poison Ivy Years" or perhaps more obscure a reference, "The grateful Dead. Warts...."

Be good y'all. Thanks for giving me the space to stream my addled thoughts.

And oh yeah. DP 48... Can you help me out here please? Thank you in advance!

....doesn't sound like a very good way to go imo. So sorry your friend went through that. Having a life saving surgery delayed twice in a year is unacceptable. Sigh.
Just remember this. Surround yourselves with kind people.
Turn away from the people that spew hate and vitriol.
And drink plenty of water.
Comicons are awesome. So many cool nerds. And I mean that as a compliment.
Phish's Ocelot and Scents And Subtle Sounds are, imo, their most "Dead" like songs. I get the lyrical nonsense point though. Until Gamehendge comes around lol.
I'm still on my Mavis Staples thang.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

This Scarlet... is absolutely top tier. Jerry is taking off and gets 'lost in the ozone'. I think.
Wunderschön!
G.

Great to see you back on here - I wondered what had happened, and am sorry I didn't reach out earlier. You have absolutely no need to apologise at all - it sounds as though you have been to hell and back since we last communicated. Terrible what happened to your mate Kevin. He sounds as though he was a great person to have known and hung out with. What a tragic thing to happen to him. My heart felt condolences to you and his wife.

Yup- I am still interested in the 1978 Daves Picks on vinyl - I'll send you my address by email - if not now - I am due out in a minute - but later today.
As you guessed, I have got Dicks Picks 2 on vinyl - but thanks for thinking of me.
My eyes lit up when I saw Ozric Tentacles in your post - but dimmed again when you talked of Phish. I have never heard them really - I'm not quite sure, but the very idea puts me off. Very unfair -I'm sure they'll survive ! Ozric Tentacles on the other hand - I've seen many great gigs by them over the years. Incidentally - they also sound great on vinyl.
All the best - cheers - Dave

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Thanks vguy and Dave! Your words mean a lot. Kevin was indeed special. Incredible social conscience and extremely intelligent. Never once raised his voice and was always measured and deliberate when he needed to be, and fun and surprising when he felt like it. The fact that we were solid and firm friends since the early 90’s speaks volumes. I tend to piss off most folk within weeks! lol. I’m not nasty at all, but I somehow seem to be a bit obvious when suffering fools… Precious little poppet that I am.

My wife grew up with Kevin in Carshalton when they were kids. They even dated for a while a long time before I appeared on the scene. In one of life’s funny little co-inky dinks, we probably passed each other all the time when I was living in Putney as a young teen. Turns out we even used the same video store!

It just destroys me that the coroner concluded he would almost certainly be with us today had he been admitted and given intravenous antibiotics. It’s one thing to be a hoity insecure pillock, but when a life is lost, and it’s not a “mistake”, then surely there’s something that needs to happen there. It won’t bring him back and I won’t claim sheer altruism in the “just so it doesn’t ever happen to anyone else” vein. No. I want the SOB to pay the price out of sheer anger and venom. I wish I could be a bigger person about it. I’m just not there yet. Nor do I expect to be any time soon. Sorry, but a line was crossed when it comes to my ability to forgive.

For what it’s worth, I genuinely feel good about how my wife and I have picked up his widow and given her the safe space and sanctuary she needs. And she’ll have it forever. We’re even giving the spare bedroom in the place we’re moving to a name… “Julie’s Room”. She’s such a good and kind person. Just like Kevin. It makes us feel a little better that we can at the very least give her our unqualified support and affection and always have a place for her to feel safe in. And, she’s using it, so that in itself shows that it’s needed and that it’s a good thing for her.

Anyway. Thanks again. Sincerely. It needs to be shared so I can lessen the empty anger that the finality of it all brings.

I’ve been dwelling on the nature of “void” and the fact that I’m terrified of it - and no, the argument that I won’t be around to miss it just makes it worse. Even typing this is making my chest tighten, breathing laboured, and skin feel like it’s slow burning - anxiety to the max. How do you rationalise the unacceptable? All I can take from it is that if I feel this bad about losing life, I must really love it, and I’m trying oh so hard to use that as my “FU” to the reaper…

Still. One of the terrible compromises that we’re all born with. “I’m going to give you something so magical, that when I take it away, and I WILL take it away, you’ll have never existe”. Jesus. Sorry, but now I’m having a full blown panic attack. Any ideas anyone? I don’t even drink anymore nearly two and half years sober, and thank god because if this wasn’t an excuse to bury myself in a bottle, then I don’t know what would be. So, if I qualify that question to “Any holistic ideas anyone?” Then maybe that’s better.

One thing I can say with utmost confidence. The music of the good old Grateful Dead certainly helps. One thing I was really apprehensive about with sobriety and “being straight” was how it might alter my relationship with and enjoyment of the music. Turns out, not a jot! If anything it’s better than ever. My playing is improved and I can add thought to my guitar playing that allows for more “play” and less “see what sticks”. I guess the analogy would be the painter who knows how to use texture and layers as opposed to your Jackson Pollocks who luzz stuff everywhere and see what happens. They both produce interesting results and there is nothing to stop the chucking it about but, but having that extra layer in the arsenal gives you more toys to play with.

How I got here from there I don’t know. But let’s end on a positive… Anyone considering changes around chemical self medication… I will assure you that YOU will still be YOU on the other side. You might do things a little differently, or require yourself to get “there” a different way, but don’t worry about losing yourself. I think it’s a bit of a common thing that folks can worry about when they’ve become dependant on certain addictive behaviours. That loss of one’s self. I’m here as living proof that you’ll still be there on the other side and what’s more, it’ll be earned and more valued, and dare I say, it’s not inappropriate to feel a little smug about it.

Right. I’m much happier for having let all that out so thanks again all! It’s really, really appreciated.

Now back to “how do I get my undelivered copy of DP48?” Again, any pointers would be brilliant. I’ve no doubt it was sent, but I’ve lost a few packages in the last six months or so… Never been a problem until recently, and ties up with when Evri started doing the “last to the door” legs. They recently (last week) put a watch in a “safe place”. Well. They threw it in the recycling wheelie bin actually. But hey, could have been a bush, right?

:-)

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Doingtheneedful

Tried to respond but this ridiculous nonsense won’t let me post!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

My goodness, that’s a horrible story and can’t imagine what your going through!
I’ll I can recommend is keep busy, long walks, and lots of Dead…if you get confused just listen to the music play.
Eventually, time may not fully heal, but like all the heavy shit you’ve been through in life, this will pass.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

It would be one thing if they did the right thing and something went wrong etc, but to basically kill another human being because of what? Greed?
I’m all about moving on and not getting hung up on past shit that you can’t change, but this motherf@##$& needs to feel real pain!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Seems there’s no accountability anymore, anywhere, but when you basically kill someone you should have to pay, HARD!
This truly pisses me off, and I didn’t even know your Bro.
What I don’t understand is how there’s not some safeguard or other opinion or some kind of advocate specifically for such situations?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

What, one ahole is the ultimate final decision maker?
That seems like the real crime?
Cheese and rice dude, again, so sorry and only hope you don’t let this bring you down too low. Hang in there, concentrate and remember all the awesome times you had with Kevin instead of the loss etc.
Helping the ex, beyond being the right thing to do, will also help you all during this unfathomable time!
Strength in numbers!
Ok, hope this posts…

Oh, send your 48 order number/info etc to Marye. She usually can get it to Doctor rhino.

Finally, how the hell did you get those long posts by the HK nazis?
See, things are already looking up ; ) JK, but laughter is big medicine too!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Such a sad outcome. I would guess there might not be a legal remedy in that system but I hope he doesn't get away with it! Our condolences Needful.

Under the category of "you give one, you get one" I just got back from the store where I gave my cashier one of those ugly golden dollar coins as a tip since I have a bunch left over from culling through a roll of them while collecting the set. She thought I was like one of those G-pa's that gave real silver dollars BITD, lol. Not so much. Then I'm at the mailboxes and an old lady gave me a giant Valentine card "to give to your sweetie". Goes to show you don't ever know.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Bianca at dead net has responded promptly and some resolution is in the works.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

What is your intention, copying my post???
No own words?
G.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by wissinomingdeadhead

I can barely say Hi!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

He's a s p a m m e r selling something on his "my account" page in a language I can't read. There is another doing the same thing on the POTDWD page.

Hey MARYE, can you delete these guys?

Cheers

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

What a great show! Hopefully we will get some more 1968 Dead this year.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Doingtheneedful

I have just sent you an email about that Dead album.
It's very difficult dealing with loss. From my experience, the tired oild cliche about time being a healer has turned out to be true. Of course, I will never forget loved ones who have died - but the pain of loss, for me has diminished as years have gone by. Years being the operative word.
With forgiveness, it is often considered to be letting perpetrators off lightly in some way. But for me, it's main function may be that it helps us who have been hurt to survive. The longer you hate the worse you feel - and it goes nowhere. Just my personal experience - we are all different, and I would hate to belittle what you are going through.
I don't know if I should mention it - but I saw an interview with someone called Esther Ghey yesterday-it was on Good Morning Britain on t.v. last week. Her 16 year old daughter was murdered last year. In her interview, she stressed the need for more compassion and mindfulness, which she hopes to see taught in schools in the future. It was one of the most moving interviews I have ever seen.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by gratefulgerd

So sorry about your loss Needful. I had my appendix explode 7 years ago, so I know how sick the body can get and what pain can be and wishing for death. I hope you and yours can find peace. The reason I bring up One Love is because of Bob's movie hitting the theaters today in the USA. I had so many African men and women as nurses and technicians, that for most, not all, I said "thank you for operating in One Love." Some of them knew what I was talking about while others looked puzzled. I am hoping with today's release that many more can understand what it means to operate with One Love. I have been watching documentaries today on Bob and his incredible journey and tragic ending at 36. What a strong man operating in an intense crucible. Hoping all get to hear some of his music today, and if you have never heard Babylon By Bus I encourage you to seek it out. What an incredible live album it is.
Thanks to all hear for trying your best to operate in One Love; it is almost impossible with today's environment.

forgot about that date. Might have to listen to tonight!

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Saw the only time GD played Stir It Up, Landover 1987.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

DR and G man!

Ain’t no time to hate!
At the same time, I just hope that person is held accountable in a fashion that they’ll be forced to think about it everyday, the rest of their life!
No hate, no anger, no eye for an eye, that accomplishes nothing but making it worse. It just seems that the bigger the transgression these days, the less accountability.
And, sorry for my ignorance, is this person a doctor? No matter what the bureaucratic BS, if a patient arrives at a emergency care facility with the symptoms and history, wouldn’t they run a blood test which should have indicated sepsis, so he at least could have been given antibiotics?
I’m not a doctor, and I haven’t stayed at a holiday inn in decades, but seems a lot was missed or, certainly many questions not answered.
But really, I guess all that matters is he’s gone, nothing gonna bring him back…

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Gary
Only reason I know that is it’s the only show I ever got shut out of : (
Somethings you don’t forget ; )

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Ur right. Shows how the wiring is getting a little frayed. I could just see them playing it, so not sure why Cap Centre hit me. I know we were taping but also, I was on the right floor looking at Bob.

And I just said yesterday "double down." Maybe not!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

All rolls into one!
No worry brother, non of us getting younger ; )
As I say, some things you just KNOW lol, and that show will be one of them.
Actually more bummed we didn’t know about the cool lot party with FM source Dee rect from mr Healy. We went to visit other shut outs at their hotel over VB way. Ok time, but when we heard about that dance o thon…
A well, sometimes you eat da bar, sometimes da bar eats you!

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

If memory is right, freaky friend and I did Atlanta, Hampton. I had to go back, he continued on...

The story goes something like this. The govt licensed small wattage radio and tv stations. So they decided to use that for "broadcasting" the signal to the PA. All wiring came into the board, then the mixed signal was broadcast out. That was a sweet setup. Recorded several shows that way.

And why I am considering going to local OTA television. We get now 40 something channels OTA. I am sure others get even more.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I believe the idea was to attempt to keep the ticketless throng at least a little at bay, and it seemed to help, sometimes?
But yeah we got some great tapes sourced that way. You could tell cause occasionally the signal might drift lol, but it was pretty cool.
Dans a big radio guy and I believe has his own, small local deal up dar in dem dare woods.

OTA. 40 stations, HELL YEAH! you can actually get better, uncompressed signal OTA then any of these greedy providers! There’s increasingly new gear too since it’s catching on. BITD back in “southern” Canada when there were normally only ABC, NBC, CBS, some public station, and one UHF station, BUT, we could get several from Toronto with a decent antenna! Hockey Night in Canada anyone! Lol
Unfortunately out here in the boonies I don’t think you could get anything, even with a big antenna, which I’m pretty sure the HOA would literally lose their minds lol.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Getting hey now'd. Argh! Will this pass the test?
Cheers
Still have the translator under the counter somewhere, lol.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-49-frost-amphitheatre-stanford-university-palo-alto-ca-42785-and-42885/081227817442.html