• 1,202 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Anyone who has ever seen the Dead can testify that one of its shows will add quite a bit of color to the environment here at Stanford. Anyone who has not seen one of these spectacles should have the opportunity to do so. The Grateful Dead are an important part of the Bay Area's cultural history. Those of us who saw them last week can testify that the Dead are alive and well. The Concert Network would be hard-pressed to find an act which would bring Frost Amphitheatre to life as the Dead would. - The Stanford Daily

As you know by now, we'd certainly have voted aye on this motion, so much so, that we've loaded up DAVE'S PICKS 49 with not one, but two complete Grateful Dead shows from the Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 4/27/85 and 4/28/85. The first shows from '85 in the series, these back-to-back hometown performances couldn't be more different while delivering the same level of passion and precision, five hours of it, in fact.

In 1985, the band were celebrating "20 Years So Far," a feat that found them on these particular nights confident with invention in terms of both setlists and playing. There are old songs renewed, rare covers revived, undeniably nuanced Jerry moments, and a few surprises from Brent Mydland too. While it's impossible to select highlights, we can say with certainty that the overall clarity of these shows is unparalleled, courtesy of Dan Healy's recordings.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 49: FROST AMPHITHEATRE, STANFORD U, PALO ALTO, CA 4/27/85 & 4/28/85 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Oroborous

For a real good time!
    Hopefully we won’t have to wait another 10 YEARS for some 85 love!

Well 49 old friend, it’s been a gas but I guess it’s happy trails for awhile.
    Tanks for the memories

• 1stshow70878

Had to look that up.
    The spoken part between:
    Redemption funds,
    Stocks and bonds.
    Scruggs, the master of the three finger rolling style. Changed everything.
    Cheers

• dmcvt

I tried to post but was Hey Nowed to death. Thanks Jim for perspective, good to keep big picture when greed rears its ugly head. First show, you called it, Trischka's first set was dedicated to the Earl Jam release which will drop June 7 sparked by him being sent a thumb drive with Earl and John Hartford jams, like the Pizza tapes. Yes, audience sing along, Rainy Day Women, Lady Madonna if you can believe it in bluegrass and yes, the Beverly theme, all three verses. concert is on line search on the Mainstay in Maryland.

• uncle_tripel

...NRPS, 1970-05-15, early show F i LL m o r east
    ...Little FEAT, down on the farm
    ...Chet Atkins, The Essential Chet Atkins
    ...Van Morrison, Enlightenment
    ...Kill to get Crimson, Mark Knopfler

enjoy your day everyone, and PEACE for ALL!
    uncle_tripel

• icecrmcnkd

Those were the daze……

• 1stshow70878

We ask that all the time.
    Ashes, ashes, all fall down.
    But stuff's getting better I think.
    Cheers
    Had way more but got HNed.

• JimInMD

It did cost over a $Billion dollars to build. They are going to have to recoup that somehow. I can't figure out this one, it's probably worth it once or twice if you're sitting on such a wad of cash in your pocket that it's giving you curvature of the spine carrying it around. Especially if there are party favors involved.

I passed on D&C and Phish but have given this a lot of thought. I'm waiting for holographic Elvis opening up for the GD with holographic Jerry and holograpahic Pigpen. I wonder what they'd charge for that?

So I guess I'm with ConeKid on this one. Too much, too fast.

Edit: I would gladly pay scalper prices for the chance to see the Grateful Dead with Jerry at the Greek Theater again. I'd call that a bargain. My first GD ticket cost me $10, showed up a half hour before show time and the tickets were tenth row center purchased from the nicest couple I have perhaps ever met outside the venue without fear of scalpers or fake tickets, etc. Soon after that I happily gave the nice gentleman hanging out in the dark, under the stairwell another $4 for two small pieces of parchment about 4 minutes after we got inside. Another bargain, I wish I could thank him. What a change 42 years can make in a world. What have we become?

• icecrmcnkd

Ticketmaster Platinum is dynamic pricing.
    What a scam.

I haven’t been to a show since 2017 D&C (where I paid $99 for GA floor).
    Instead of a trip to Vegas for D&C Sphere I can use that cash for a new refrigerator and living room furniture. I’ll get way more enjoyment out of those.

• Vguy72
    Face was $160 when they first went on sale....

....so, yeah.
    I would've paid $500, but it didn't pan out. Could I afford $1200? Yes. But there has to be a line drawn in the sand at some point.

• 1stshow70878

I'll be looking for that tribute to Earl.
    Been a fan since the Beverly Hillbillies, lol.
    Tony T. in a club? Heavenly!
    Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

Anyone who has ever seen the Dead can testify that one of its shows will add quite a bit of color to the environment here at Stanford. Anyone who has not seen one of these spectacles should have the opportunity to do so. The Grateful Dead are an important part of the Bay Area's cultural history. Those of us who saw them last week can testify that the Dead are alive and well. The Concert Network would be hard-pressed to find an act which would bring Frost Amphitheatre to life as the Dead would. - The Stanford Daily

As you know by now, we'd certainly have voted aye on this motion, so much so, that we've loaded up DAVE'S PICKS 49 with not one, but two complete Grateful Dead shows from the Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 4/27/85 and 4/28/85. The first shows from '85 in the series, these back-to-back hometown performances couldn't be more different while delivering the same level of passion and precision, five hours of it, in fact.

In 1985, the band were celebrating "20 Years So Far," a feat that found them on these particular nights confident with invention in terms of both setlists and playing. There are old songs renewed, rare covers revived, undeniably nuanced Jerry moments, and a few surprises from Brent Mydland too. While it's impossible to select highlights, we can say with certainty that the overall clarity of these shows is unparalleled, courtesy of Dan Healy's recordings.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 49: FROST AMPHITHEATRE, STANFORD U, PALO ALTO, CA 4/27/85 & 4/28/85 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by jonathan918@GD

Check thy PMs, good sir.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Hello dh community,
I wonder, if anybody here in Europe/Germany has gotten a shipping information for DaP #49.
Any arrivals yet? I'm sitting on hot coals (an expression here).
Cheers
G.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

49 showed up, and I got tix for 6/20.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by gratefulgerd

Gerd, I’m told that #49 is on the way. It took several days from the initial message before UPS agreed that they knew about the package. No update since 3rd of Feb when it appeared to still be in California. I’m fairly confident that it will turn up eventually.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

HF’s coming up the mountain…time to lock up the women and children!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

4 years 6 months

I just want to thank wholeheartedly Dave for the excellence of this new pick and for all of the others as well! I read a lot of negativity on here, some of it legit, but I am really impressed with the quality and selection of all the Dave's Picks series and also the awesome box sets. Thanks Dave and crew for all your hard work!!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

To my ears, the first night of this Frost set finds the band playing everything in a unique groove. It feels different than most shows from the era in the bands rhythmic approach. The second night feels more like a traditional groove.

Either case I'm thoroughly enjoying this release and hope to see a lot more released from 85.

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

Debuted on the Billboard charts at #25.
The Grateful Dead just surpassed Elvis Presley and Frank Sinatra for most top 40 albums of all time.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I whizzed by you twice Wed.-Thur. as I white knuckled I-70 to Golden and back. God I hate that Nascar track. I'll hunker down so HF doesn't talk me into a vision quest. (which we all could use right now)
Cheers

user picture

Member for

7 months

...I hit the highway...they call Highway 1985...fun ride through Palo Alto, Kansas City, Atlanta, and Hampton, and a return back to Palo Alto; just couldn't stop this weekend at Frost, and so hit the gas pedal and drove a bit deeper down the backroads.
Last [5]
1985-04-27
1985-09-03
1985-10-29
1985-03-21 pitb drips and oozes
1985-04-28
If I can't find that woman, I will sit out and drink my vine; and I will hit the highway, they call Highway 1985!

peace all!
uncle_tripel

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by uncle_tripel

With all this talk of 1985 I decided to play the above, from 30 Trips. Not a show I have played very often, to be fair. And very enjoyable the first two cds are, I have to say. One thing I did wonder - there is a lot of reverb and echo on Bob's vocals. I'm not being negative - it's obviously fantastic - but I did wonder if this was a standard feature for shows from this era.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by daverock

Given a choice I think I’d rather walk on gilded splinters.
I see Molly Tuttle and The Golden Highway won the Grammy for best bluegrass album the other day. I enjoyed ‘City of Gold’ but thought their previous album was better.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

This would make a great release, or part of an 1985 box, or part of a Greek box I had a blast at this show.

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

all great memories, for sure. Hitched down to OK City after three days at Rain Rocks for a rocking good time in the Amphitheater.... tried to catch some z's on the grounds afterwards, but patrols on monster horses cleared us out. All 3 of the 85 Berkeley shows were a blast ... some of the best times... this may have been during our collective "let Phil sing" campaign, can't exactly recall (BTK?) .... The 85 Frost brings back some cool memories and I concur that the 82 Frost would be another wonderful release.....tcc

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

Kind of surprised to realize that I am kind of low-key stoked about the GOGD setting a record for most top 40 albums, besting the likes of Frankie and Elvis. Who'd a-thunk it back when the Dead were considered a cult band beloved soley by their bedosed brethrens?

Also stoked to receive my vinyl copy of DaP 2. Seems on first listen a pretty typical Wall of Sound era show: ie, excellent jamming and interaction between musicians, vocals not always sounding great, overall pretty pretty damn good.

The lack of Berkeley Greek shows among the DaPs, DiPs, and box sets continues to baffle.

Last five:
GD: DaP 2 vinyl
Ty Segall: Three Bells
Lee Morgan: Cornbread
Mahavishnu Orchestra: From Here to Eternity
ABB: Fox Box

I am not now nor have I ever been a robot!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Gerd, if it helps, I received the Dave's 49 shipping email on January 26.

UPS received the package on February 1 in Fontana, CA.

Asendia received it from UPS today, February 6, in Bell, CA.

They will send it to the Netherlands but it's currently still in California.

Thanks Simon,
good to see yours is moving.
I used to get shipping emails. For some reason it was stopped about 3 years ago. Same with box set shipping!
And I wonder why?
Two DaP got lost somehow, never made it to my house.
A shipping notice and a tracking number would help a bit to ease the pain while 'sitting on hot coales'.
Cheers
G.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by topchinacat

My new favorite word. Thank you.

Topchinacat - I commended you on your hitchhiking accomplishment from Red Rocks to OK City. I attempted to post a similar story a few weeks ago but was nullified by the censors. I’ll give it another try.

After hitchhiking from Hershey to Merriweather and back home for the summer 85 shows, I decided to test the limits of people’s kindness. While in college at UVM, a buddy of mine and I hitchhiked to the Rochester shows in November of 85. A few things to consider. It’s November and we’re in Vermont, prior to global warming. College equates to no money. Vermont has no major highways in the direction we were headed. Keep in mind that Vermont also has no people outside of Burlington other than farmers, so traffic is quite limited. Lastly, it’s about a 7 hour drive. We took the 6 AM bus to the farthest outskirts of town and stuck our thumbs out. We made it to Albany around noon and rode the last four hours to Rochester in the back of an open pickup truck. Saw two great shows.

This was also back in the day when People’s Express was in operation. Meaning we could fly direct from Rochester to Newark for $19 and catch the last two shows of the tour. Of course, the plane was full of Deadheads doing the exact same thing, except for about a half dozen or so poor unsuspecting souls. The instant we took off, the bowls came out and the entire cabin was full of pot smoke. The stewardesses were helpless as were our unwilling companions. Every time the captain made even the smallest announcement, the entire plane erupted with boisterous cheers of joy. To this day, I still chuckle about that hour.

After the first night, we slept on the covered walking bridge that spans I95. The next night we slept in Newark airport. Both of which are unadvisable these days. In the morning, it was a $19 flight back to Burlington. All told, the entire trip probably cost about $200, tickets included, and we caught four outstanding shows.

user picture

Member for

5 years 4 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

Hey everybody - long time listener, first time caller as they say.

Been thoroughly enjoying #49 today and noticed something interesting. During Tom Thumb’s Blues, it sounds like Phil says “and my best friend my drummer, won’t even tell me what it is that I got”. I.e. drummer instead of doctor. Did anyone else notice that or am I just hearing things?

It sounded to me like he said, "My best friend, my drummer won't tell me what it is I just dropped."

Phil mixed the lyrics on that song routinely.

“started out on Heineken”
“What it is that I got”
“What it was that I dropped”
etc

The only solution is to listen to as many Tom Thumb’s as possible.

user picture

Member for

3 years 2 months

I'm going back to San Anselmo, I do believe I've had enough!
Love that Phil. I've been playing his and Brent's tune repetitiously.
I'm only a recent subscriber in the last few years but I must say. This double Dave's album is a personal "Brent era" favorite disc now! Like with Dave's # 39, 40, & 47.
I was lucky enough to get #31 off of eBay for a nice price, no bid. Not much more than it would've been had I al'a carted it back in 2019.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Gerd
Mine has now reached the UK. It is currently sitting in customs while they toss a coin to decide whether to add a charge to it. The European deliveries are getting closer.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 5 months

Sounds as though I could be a bit of an outlier here, but mine arrived a few days ago, either Friday or Saturday after receiving the shipping email on 30/01. No customs charges

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

Love the People's Express story ... absolutely hilarious! THOSE were the days!!!! And yes, I know I sound old, but the fact of the matter is ...............tcc

user picture

Member for

7 months

yes, spot on to your "reverb and echo" comment, that's a phenomenon which I found can be heard regularly in varying degrees throughout the '85 shows. If I remember correctly it is also much evident throughout the June Greek shows, always wondered how that came to manifest itself...

peace all!
uncle_tripel

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Ten days of it will be here today. You're killing me Smalls!
Nothing innovative about lousy service Mr. Dejoy.
Cheers
Must be something with W. Colorado as my buddy in Crested Butte doesn't have his yet either.

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Your story, great stuff. Minor point, even adjusting for 1985, everyone outside of Burlington being farmers?? Hmmm... guess you did not get around outside Burl much. If you had said mid 60s, maybe, that's about when the back to the land movement, hippies, communes etc started the meaningful shift that turned Vermont from republican farmers to crafty democrats. The interstate highway system that made this happen began construction the early 60s. I get it about the difficulty is driving east west, drove out to Watkins Glen in 1973 from Maine. When I moved here in 1980 after visiting friends for years, lived on a farm in the mountains near Killington, old timers told stories about rural electrification still, which came in after WWII. Just sayin.... (and wowee zowee, first post in more than a month with no hay now or crapcha)

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

I’m sure we all have thoughts about songs the Dead could have played. I’m not talking about big hit covers, like knocking out a Stairway to Heaven. No, odd songs you really never saw coming.
I mentioned several times about how they should have done Ghost Riders in the Sky as a Bob song.
And Jerry really blew it when he didn’t do On Broadway, while he was on Broadway. Just to hear Jerry belt out –

But they're dead wrong, I know they are
'Cause I can play this here guitar
And I won't quit til I'm a star on Broadway
The house would have went nuts!

Well I’m laying in bed last night waiting for edibles to take me to sleep-world and this one crossed my mind. This may actually be an early version of Fire on the Mountain. I always thought Fire on the Mountain was about being in the band. Some of the phases remind me of Hunter.

The song – Six Man Band by the Association.

Well, I'm a day at a time
I'm a day at a time
Well, I'm a seeker and knower
In a six man mind
'Cause I'm a travelin' man
Yes, I'm a travelin' man
Well, I'm a comer and a goer
In a six man band
Well, I'm a California man, my instrument in hand
I'm electrified
On a fast flyin' trip, dirty laundry in my grip
Mostly drip-dry
We got the seventeen jewels that dictate the rules
And the time to fly, as we're passing by
We just got the time to say hello, and then a fast good-bye
I'm a travelin' man
Yes, I'm a travelin' man
Well, I'm a comer and a goer
In a six man band

Use of the word “grip” in the second verse, an old term, reminds me of the 20’s. Would a kid today know what a grip is? Does the youth have a sense of jewels in a watch?
But then throw in a huge jam after “fast goodbye”, coming out with Jerry growling out “I’m a Travlin’ Man”

Just a thought, ok maybe drug induced, but….

Anyone else have a song the Dead should have done?

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Said this one before.
Kingfish did killer versions.
Can't go wrong with Marty Robbins.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Nice call, I have a Kingfish show from 76 NYC. Very nice recording.

user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

Reaffirming here how much I love this release now that I have fully digested it a couple of times. Listening to it on the home stereo over the weekend took me back to my dorm room in 1989 watching the video So Far. I have heard plenty of 1985 shows, but the way this one is mixed and remastered, the sound/feel of the band is exactly like they sounded when they recorded that video. Not surprising as they recorded So Far shortly after, but man... this is a time machine release. Brent's keys during Bird Song took me to that place, in particular. Thank you, Dave!

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Enjoying the first #49 show. Yes, early first set sounds driven by the pre-show blast of marching powder but they settle down and my comment is:

Jerry may be in rugged shape, off-stage, but he sure seems to be the one driving the segues from song to song, where segues occur. He leads into GDTRFB, Truckin', Other One into Peter. I find Jer in exemplary form for most of the first show and on all "his" songs, in fact, like days of yore, the band is running after him at full tilt.

Ya know, I don't mind an "energetic" '85 show with the serendipity of setlist and the robust even raw treatment of the music. This is Rock and Roll, after all. I keep comin' back to Jer and his performance here.

So, a wide variety of shows sometimes leans on so-so performances, but in this case, the selection provides a reconsideration of long-held biases.

In other words, this sucker rocks with the fat man in the lead. God bless and RIP Jer.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

A great road story, Jack, well told! They sure were different times.
“Roads were made for journeys, not destinations”
Confucius

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Just finished the first show on #49 and have to add that Bobby finished off the show with Around & Around into One More Sat Nite and man, the band is ferocious! Those songs, except on E72, sometimes leave me cold, on this one my freakin' pants caught fire and... I ain't lyin!

Props to Billy, Phil and Brent and Mickey is playing with a remark-worthy precision that lays the sneakers-in-the-dryer effect to rest.

Dave L., you have chosen wisely. Hats off! And flaming pants off too!

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

I was skeptical about a 1985 release to lead off Dave's Picks this year, BUT, these are two very hot and very fun shows! Nice picks Dave :-) [Now, onward to September 1970! ... hee hee hee]

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by uncle_tripel

That's a gruesome thought..the Dead covering Stairway To Heaven. On the whole I preferred their country covers to their blues ones. They fitted so naturally into the sets in the 70's that they could almost have been Dead originals. Me and My Uncle in the middle of The Other One in1971 worked like a charm. The blues covers always stuck out like a sore thumb to me - especially after Pigpen slipped this mortal coil. I can't hear "Smokestack Lightning" without recalling Howlin' Wolf and Muddy Waters. But I don't think of Merle Haggard when I hear "Sing Me Back Home".

Uncle Tripel - cheers. That echo/reverb was one of the most distinctive characteristics of the 1985 Dead show I last played.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

See this week's GD Hour for Pigpen doing The Same Thing in 1967. Isn't that one of Willie Dixon's "stolen" songs? He was known for not giving people he managed due credit.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

And it's tearing me up! I wasn't so sure at first blush, what with Jerry's vocal difficulties and the slightly-ridiculous tempos Jerry took off on, but a second listen has convinced me that the first show is really quite a treat. Now for the second show . . .

(p.s. I got "Hey Now-d") It doesn't like when I type the message that was on a sticker on every rented VHS tape . . .

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Guess there is a lot of truth to that.

For the last several days I have had running over and over in my head -

"And my best friend my drummer, won't even tell me what it is that I dropped."

So much so, that it kept me up one night.

Hmmm Synch-Chronos

I have always been a fan of the mathematical nature of music. So it is the jam for me. Never cared about Jerry's vocal issues at all. As I have gotten older, the words or poetry of music means more but still pails in comparison to the music.

Oh and btw, A Happy 2024 to all here!

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

I received #6580 today, when my average time for the last few releases has been six weeks! (Oh Babe, it ain’t no lie). For once, I might have beat Oro’s delivery. What dark arts are these?
Plus, no Hey Now, no fifteen-twenty Crapcha images. What is this sorcery?
(Thanks Marye for fixing things so well)

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Willie Dixon was one of the, if not the, most prolific composers and you can tell his craftmanship. I'd be surprised, very surprised, if he put his name on anything he didn't write. Contrast that with the infamous Don Robey, who often took credit with a gun in his hand.

Vguy -- don't jinx it!!!! I've posted (too much) since I returned and no hint of you-know-what.

Farseer, welcome back!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-49-frost-amphitheatre-stanford-university-palo-alto-ca-42785-and-42885/081227817442.html