• 1,202 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Anyone who has ever seen the Dead can testify that one of its shows will add quite a bit of color to the environment here at Stanford. Anyone who has not seen one of these spectacles should have the opportunity to do so. The Grateful Dead are an important part of the Bay Area's cultural history. Those of us who saw them last week can testify that the Dead are alive and well. The Concert Network would be hard-pressed to find an act which would bring Frost Amphitheatre to life as the Dead would. - The Stanford Daily

As you know by now, we'd certainly have voted aye on this motion, so much so, that we've loaded up DAVE'S PICKS 49 with not one, but two complete Grateful Dead shows from the Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 4/27/85 and 4/28/85. The first shows from '85 in the series, these back-to-back hometown performances couldn't be more different while delivering the same level of passion and precision, five hours of it, in fact.

In 1985, the band were celebrating "20 Years So Far," a feat that found them on these particular nights confident with invention in terms of both setlists and playing. There are old songs renewed, rare covers revived, undeniably nuanced Jerry moments, and a few surprises from Brent Mydland too. While it's impossible to select highlights, we can say with certainty that the overall clarity of these shows is unparalleled, courtesy of Dan Healy's recordings.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 49: FROST AMPHITHEATRE, STANFORD U, PALO ALTO, CA 4/27/85 & 4/28/85 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Oroborous

For a real good time!
    Hopefully we won’t have to wait another 10 YEARS for some 85 love!

Well 49 old friend, it’s been a gas but I guess it’s happy trails for awhile.
    Tanks for the memories

• 1stshow70878

Had to look that up.
    The spoken part between:
    Redemption funds,
    Stocks and bonds.
    Scruggs, the master of the three finger rolling style. Changed everything.
    Cheers

• dmcvt

I tried to post but was Hey Nowed to death. Thanks Jim for perspective, good to keep big picture when greed rears its ugly head. First show, you called it, Trischka's first set was dedicated to the Earl Jam release which will drop June 7 sparked by him being sent a thumb drive with Earl and John Hartford jams, like the Pizza tapes. Yes, audience sing along, Rainy Day Women, Lady Madonna if you can believe it in bluegrass and yes, the Beverly theme, all three verses. concert is on line search on the Mainstay in Maryland.

• uncle_tripel

...NRPS, 1970-05-15, early show F i LL m o r east
    ...Little FEAT, down on the farm
    ...Chet Atkins, The Essential Chet Atkins
    ...Van Morrison, Enlightenment
    ...Kill to get Crimson, Mark Knopfler

enjoy your day everyone, and PEACE for ALL!
    uncle_tripel

• icecrmcnkd

Those were the daze……

• 1stshow70878

We ask that all the time.
    Ashes, ashes, all fall down.
    But stuff's getting better I think.
    Cheers
    Had way more but got HNed.

• JimInMD

It did cost over a $Billion dollars to build. They are going to have to recoup that somehow. I can't figure out this one, it's probably worth it once or twice if you're sitting on such a wad of cash in your pocket that it's giving you curvature of the spine carrying it around. Especially if there are party favors involved.

I passed on D&C and Phish but have given this a lot of thought. I'm waiting for holographic Elvis opening up for the GD with holographic Jerry and holograpahic Pigpen. I wonder what they'd charge for that?

So I guess I'm with ConeKid on this one. Too much, too fast.

Edit: I would gladly pay scalper prices for the chance to see the Grateful Dead with Jerry at the Greek Theater again. I'd call that a bargain. My first GD ticket cost me $10, showed up a half hour before show time and the tickets were tenth row center purchased from the nicest couple I have perhaps ever met outside the venue without fear of scalpers or fake tickets, etc. Soon after that I happily gave the nice gentleman hanging out in the dark, under the stairwell another $4 for two small pieces of parchment about 4 minutes after we got inside. Another bargain, I wish I could thank him. What a change 42 years can make in a world. What have we become?

• icecrmcnkd

Ticketmaster Platinum is dynamic pricing.
    What a scam.

I haven’t been to a show since 2017 D&C (where I paid $99 for GA floor).
    Instead of a trip to Vegas for D&C Sphere I can use that cash for a new refrigerator and living room furniture. I’ll get way more enjoyment out of those.

• Vguy72
    Face was $160 when they first went on sale....

....so, yeah.
    I would've paid $500, but it didn't pan out. Could I afford $1200? Yes. But there has to be a line drawn in the sand at some point.

• 1stshow70878

I'll be looking for that tribute to Earl.
    Been a fan since the Beverly Hillbillies, lol.
    Tony T. in a club? Heavenly!
    Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

Anyone who has ever seen the Dead can testify that one of its shows will add quite a bit of color to the environment here at Stanford. Anyone who has not seen one of these spectacles should have the opportunity to do so. The Grateful Dead are an important part of the Bay Area's cultural history. Those of us who saw them last week can testify that the Dead are alive and well. The Concert Network would be hard-pressed to find an act which would bring Frost Amphitheatre to life as the Dead would. - The Stanford Daily

As you know by now, we'd certainly have voted aye on this motion, so much so, that we've loaded up DAVE'S PICKS 49 with not one, but two complete Grateful Dead shows from the Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 4/27/85 and 4/28/85. The first shows from '85 in the series, these back-to-back hometown performances couldn't be more different while delivering the same level of passion and precision, five hours of it, in fact.

In 1985, the band were celebrating "20 Years So Far," a feat that found them on these particular nights confident with invention in terms of both setlists and playing. There are old songs renewed, rare covers revived, undeniably nuanced Jerry moments, and a few surprises from Brent Mydland too. While it's impossible to select highlights, we can say with certainty that the overall clarity of these shows is unparalleled, courtesy of Dan Healy's recordings.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 49: FROST AMPHITHEATRE, STANFORD U, PALO ALTO, CA 4/27/85 & 4/28/85 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by Vguy72

The sound quality and playing are Fkin fantastic. That’s all I am allowed to post.

user picture

Member for

2 years 9 months

Magnifico!! Only thing I would love to know why can they not provide a High resolution Photo of the cover art? Someone at Rhino please.

user picture

Member for

7 years

That's one speedy GDTRFB. Jerry rocked that one.

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

Only listened to the first show tonight. Love that Brown-Eyed/Esau/Ramble trio! Always great to get The Wheel as well.
2nd show tomorrow.

user picture

Member for

7 years

Did Jerry ever have or play a 12 String guitar? I never thought of this before, since I don't have any musical talent.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by carlo13

....that the '83 Santa Fe shows could be released officially.
Because they are grate shows and I will overdose on green chilis in its honor.
I mean, hey. They released the Boise show from that year.
ETA tomorrow.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

....cool IG reel out there of it being lit up with tie-dye and a HUGE SYF last night. But will Bill be there? Asking the important questions. He said he doesn't want to tour anymore. I'm hoping that shacking up in a nice Vegas suite for three weeks will sway his decision.
May is my birth month. If they play the 21st, you'll know where to find me.
No offense to Adele, but this is residency I can get behind.
Edit. Scouts honor. Current listening is GarciaLive 15. Never realized that show is from a May 21st. I was 3.
Wieeeerd.
Edit. Keystone Korner Jam also gets wieeeerd.
Time for a toke or 3.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by carlo13

Jerry apparently played a 12 string 1967 Guild Starfire on "Duprees Diamond Blues" on stage during 1969. There is also a photo of him with a regular 12 string acoustic on stage playing with the Garcia Band that looks as though it was taken in the 1990's.

user picture

Member for

5 years 1 month

DL "we're so jazzed to release more of this great year"

2025 Box Set, maybe???

rock on, gang!

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

nope, really? how much money do these guys need? there is no way unless they up the tempo, which is rumored that that is why Billy left, so, 300 bucks for "slow bobby"? lol

user picture

Member for

7 months

final tour, thinkin' out loud: maybe 1 tix adds up to 2 or more daP subs; everyone enjoy in your own best way

peace all!
uncle_tripel

EDIT: so you know after 59 years of coming out on the road to see y'all, now it's not a tour, and y'all come see us; keep on smilin'

user picture

Member for

7 months

jerry talks about his acoustic playing in the jan. 12 1985 live FRETS interview on you tube, don't be put off with the timing of this interview and his overall condition, he is on and humorous, so dive into it

peace all!
uncle_tripel

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

I saw Garcia play a 12 string when he played with Grisman at the Warfield . I don't remember how many songs he played on it , might have just been one. Those shows need to be released.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by marye

Marye for your feedback around the Hey Now'n tech issues;
I hadn't seen that disclaimer yet so its helpful to know that someone somewhere knows something about it who might be able to help, keeping us glued together.

That being said it is also understood how much of that glue you are for all of us, and for that we thank you.

Eagerly awaiting #49, and it sounds like its receipt is highly applauded and I'm not one bit surprised.

Thanks again and Be Well, All
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Bastardos know what a bunch of whores we are!
Cool for Vguy!

After a minor scare, 49 iz in da hiz house! Proper!
Time to get busy!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

1st set 4/27/85. Lovin' it.

Would be fun to go to Vegas. Priced out of my range though.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by SPACEBROTHER

Third Tom Thumb Blues and definitely slower than the versions in 89-91.

Give me more Frost!

I am with you Spacebrother. The costs for these shows are a bummer.

The Dead always kept their prices very affordable. Not the case now. But everything is up.
Bob will go till he drops.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

If this post appears, then y'all are back in the Danger Zone and HF will be baaaack!

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Well, honestly, I can explain. Whether I can explain honestly remains to be seen.

This is just a test. We will return to my previously scheduled obnoxious remarks if this works.

HF

That’s 2.6 mph.
That’s how long it took UPS to get my DaP49 from one of their hubs to the local USPS. Then took another day for delivery to me.
But now I have it and it arrived undamaged.
Disc 1 spinning now, sounds better than the 85’s I have.

HF is back.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Everyone's ears has their own preference for what makes quintessential Grateful Dead. And this would be *it* for me. Absolutely perfect. Those grooves!

Only down side of the release? We have to wait that much longer for another '85 release.

....also a hub transfer issue. First world problems.
Huge John Mayer fan I work with is in for one Dead & Co show.
That has to be some sort of record for largest Steal Your Face.
The drone show during the last tour may beat it, but not by much.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Hey ICECRMCNKD and VGUY72, thanks for the notes about getting stuck at a hub. Mine’s an hour and 38 minutes away, and it’s been there since Tuesday morning. Although, it says “Departure Scan,” so I thought it got stuck at the USPS.
Looks like I have another 12? hours for an update.
Threw my hat in the ring for 6/20 and 6/21. We’ll see…

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Anyone else catch Phil belt that out during Music? Right in the middle of Jerry's run after 'were they ever here at all....'

Goes to show just how well this recording captures the nuances.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Hey, off topic -- but then, you know it's really me, not an imposter -- but I was just listening to the Wake of the Flood outtakes and, frankly, I had a thought. (First one of the new year, hopefully not the last...)

Because these outtakes were never "produced" for release the sound seems really sharp and clear. I noticed this first on Jer's vocals, then on drums and guitars. So, I'm thinking maybe the relatively low impact of this killer (to me) album may be due to over compression in post-production for the actual release. Cuz listening to the outtakes is way clear and fun. Secondly, perhaps that's why TPTB didn't pair it with the re-released album last year. Granted, there's two discs of outtakes versus one bonus live disc in the 50th. Just a theory, of which I have many, all waiting to be proven, perhaps in another life.

In any case, I really am enjoying the outtakes. Surprising to me (I was actually going to skip over 'em) was the extended jam on Sing My Blues Away is actually a revelation. You can hear all the parts -- great guitar weaving -- and Martin Fierro kills it. They go on for like 10 minutes without vocals.

Good to be back. All praise due to the patience and kindness of marye. We do not take you for granted, hon. Cheers all!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Hi All! I haven't been in here too much lately. Life has been doing its thing so I have been wrestling with that. However my copy of DaP 49 arrived today. All I have to say is that I am only two songs in and I am smiling from ear to ear. The sound quality is great, but even better the band is on fire. Such great playing and high energy. I loved all of the 85 shows I listened too before so I had been eagerly awaiting this release. So far, it has not disappointed. I really hope we get more from this year, please Dave?

I hope all is well with everyone.

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

Listening to the second show tonight. This release sounds awesome. Love it!

Edit:
That fourth disc is fully loaded! Just like my bowl.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

....that ticket prices for bands and/or acts that play The Sphere would be inflated. Capitalism and eye/ear candy at work. Especially for a state of the art venue with perks that no one has experienced before.
Shit. The movie there starts at fifty bucks and up.

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

I've been avidly listening to Volume 49... just getting to drums on 4/27. This is one FINE release, I'm just so happy to have some '85 at last. Thank you Dave <3

And on that note, anyone checked out his new poster in the store? I really like the colors... fun art...

Maybe I should give them a listen - which I haven't done yet. The idea of studio outtakes doesn't really float my boat to be honest - so cheers HF for highlighting them. That's where this board clicks into place - music recommended that you would otherwise pass by.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

Welcome back Hendrixfreak. Where have you been?

Ready to jump on board with this release Daverock?

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Delayed five times since Monday's original due date. No Mail Innovations tracking, still says UPS. Foiled by Mr. Dejoy again. Curses! Good to hear all the positive comments though. Got me psyched.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

This Sphere business is, I feel just that- business. The Dead & Co tickets start $195 and go up. This is not resale either which as soon as those prices hit, they will be nuts. I guess the draw of that venue with the combo of Dead & Co was too good for them to pass up, especially because it is a residency. Of course it will be highly in demand and thus a profitable gig. In the end I can't blame the band for going for it because people will pay.

Personally, I thought that final tour that Dead & Co did was pretty good and was a fine send off. I know they never said it was then end of them playing together, and for me, I am not interested in seeing them again (in attendance at a show) . Now I wouldn't mind seeing Phish at the Sphere but along with needing to avoid indoor venues due to hearing loss, I am not paying high ticket prices for them either. Thankfully there are the webcasts option which I will likely get for the Phish run and even maybe one of the Dead & Co shows, purely out of curiosity.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 5 months

For all the people that bought "Last D & C concert Forever" t-shirts.......what do they do with them now? Let me load a bowl and think about it......maybe "There goes my investments"????.......haven't seen D & C for 5 years. Loving my '85 Frost.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Welcome back. Yeah, life does its thing sometimes.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I'm tempted, I must confess. It looks really good going off all the comments. Total change of energy for me - 1974 has been my go to for shows this year so far.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

just in,,,, 3,834 of 5,000

I only noticed because Daverock mentioned about a bonus track, Seastones (whole side of lp)

As always,,, I LOVE the full size art of an LP.

Final unused side of last LP etched with a picture of the Crow

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

#9217 has arrived on time, as promised. Unable to comment about sin city, but I'm going.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by bigbrownie

RJ fo sho!
MUCHO GARCIAS SENOIR LEMIEUX!
Haven’t been this affected by a pick since…37?
Well, that and oh, 43, hell yeah!
Hopefully we’ll get more regular dispatches from “the party” …and not in twenty years!

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

On the etching side? Now I'm even gladder that I shelled out for this 'un.

Got my shipping notice yesterday, even. Although usually that just means somebody created the shipping label and it's still going a be some days before it leaves the warehouse. Whatever. It'll get here when it gets here, and judging by the listening part excertps, it'll be a killer.

Man, I am so glad to see HF's back. Made my day.

And btw I am STILL not a robot.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by Vguy72

I'm sure ol' St Peter was shocked at the sudden increase in the Heavenly volume level. And Carl Weathers, too! Getting old ain't for sissies or for dudes who appeared to be chiseled out of marble like Mr Weathers. Glad he had a surprising comedic turn in life with Happy Gilmore and Arrested Development.

Dave's 49th Pick was thrown upon my porch late this evening, and ripping is nearly done. DaP 2 vinyl says Monday delivery. Still up to my ears in ABB, so probably in a couple days will get to 49.

On that ABB front 7-9-70 was a fairly new tape to circulation, is from SUNY Stonybrook, a warm up for the next night, and recorded by Seth Dworken, whom the legendarium of the show mentioned he won a Grammy as sound engineer working with the Dead? It is almost pristine, and a unique setlist with fiery playing, especially Liz Reed and Mountain Jam. The next night used to circulate (and prob still does) as 7-26-70 or 10-26-70, but this is a much cleaned up copy, that may also be Dworken's work. ABB archivist Kirk West is supposed to have said the newly unearthed tape was the best sounding FOH tape of the Duane era he ever heard. I dug it. Also, finally got to relisten my first ABB show with Jimmy Herring from 2000, only one I never got. Jimmy and Derek is also good stuff. As is this killer ending to Mountain Jam with a slow Will the Circle Be Unbroken before a ripping take on it. Music is the best, and great music is even better!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-49-frost-amphitheatre-stanford-university-palo-alto-ca-42785-and-42885/081227817442.html