• 1,202 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Anyone who has ever seen the Dead can testify that one of its shows will add quite a bit of color to the environment here at Stanford. Anyone who has not seen one of these spectacles should have the opportunity to do so. The Grateful Dead are an important part of the Bay Area's cultural history. Those of us who saw them last week can testify that the Dead are alive and well. The Concert Network would be hard-pressed to find an act which would bring Frost Amphitheatre to life as the Dead would. - The Stanford Daily

As you know by now, we'd certainly have voted aye on this motion, so much so, that we've loaded up DAVE'S PICKS 49 with not one, but two complete Grateful Dead shows from the Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 4/27/85 and 4/28/85. The first shows from '85 in the series, these back-to-back hometown performances couldn't be more different while delivering the same level of passion and precision, five hours of it, in fact.

In 1985, the band were celebrating "20 Years So Far," a feat that found them on these particular nights confident with invention in terms of both setlists and playing. There are old songs renewed, rare covers revived, undeniably nuanced Jerry moments, and a few surprises from Brent Mydland too. While it's impossible to select highlights, we can say with certainty that the overall clarity of these shows is unparalleled, courtesy of Dan Healy's recordings.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 49: FROST AMPHITHEATRE, STANFORD U, PALO ALTO, CA 4/27/85 & 4/28/85 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Oroborous

For a real good time!
    Hopefully we won’t have to wait another 10 YEARS for some 85 love!

Well 49 old friend, it’s been a gas but I guess it’s happy trails for awhile.
    Tanks for the memories

• 1stshow70878

Had to look that up.
    The spoken part between:
    Redemption funds,
    Stocks and bonds.
    Scruggs, the master of the three finger rolling style. Changed everything.
    Cheers

• dmcvt

I tried to post but was Hey Nowed to death. Thanks Jim for perspective, good to keep big picture when greed rears its ugly head. First show, you called it, Trischka's first set was dedicated to the Earl Jam release which will drop June 7 sparked by him being sent a thumb drive with Earl and John Hartford jams, like the Pizza tapes. Yes, audience sing along, Rainy Day Women, Lady Madonna if you can believe it in bluegrass and yes, the Beverly theme, all three verses. concert is on line search on the Mainstay in Maryland.

• uncle_tripel

...NRPS, 1970-05-15, early show F i LL m o r east
    ...Little FEAT, down on the farm
    ...Chet Atkins, The Essential Chet Atkins
    ...Van Morrison, Enlightenment
    ...Kill to get Crimson, Mark Knopfler

enjoy your day everyone, and PEACE for ALL!
    uncle_tripel

• icecrmcnkd

Those were the daze……

• 1stshow70878

We ask that all the time.
    Ashes, ashes, all fall down.
    But stuff's getting better I think.
    Cheers
    Had way more but got HNed.

• JimInMD

It did cost over a $Billion dollars to build. They are going to have to recoup that somehow. I can't figure out this one, it's probably worth it once or twice if you're sitting on such a wad of cash in your pocket that it's giving you curvature of the spine carrying it around. Especially if there are party favors involved.

I passed on D&C and Phish but have given this a lot of thought. I'm waiting for holographic Elvis opening up for the GD with holographic Jerry and holograpahic Pigpen. I wonder what they'd charge for that?

So I guess I'm with ConeKid on this one. Too much, too fast.

Edit: I would gladly pay scalper prices for the chance to see the Grateful Dead with Jerry at the Greek Theater again. I'd call that a bargain. My first GD ticket cost me $10, showed up a half hour before show time and the tickets were tenth row center purchased from the nicest couple I have perhaps ever met outside the venue without fear of scalpers or fake tickets, etc. Soon after that I happily gave the nice gentleman hanging out in the dark, under the stairwell another $4 for two small pieces of parchment about 4 minutes after we got inside. Another bargain, I wish I could thank him. What a change 42 years can make in a world. What have we become?

• icecrmcnkd

Ticketmaster Platinum is dynamic pricing.
    What a scam.

I haven’t been to a show since 2017 D&C (where I paid $99 for GA floor).
    Instead of a trip to Vegas for D&C Sphere I can use that cash for a new refrigerator and living room furniture. I’ll get way more enjoyment out of those.

• Vguy72
    Face was $160 when they first went on sale....

....so, yeah.
    I would've paid $500, but it didn't pan out. Could I afford $1200? Yes. But there has to be a line drawn in the sand at some point.

• 1stshow70878

I'll be looking for that tribute to Earl.
    Been a fan since the Beverly Hillbillies, lol.
    Tony T. in a club? Heavenly!
    Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

Anyone who has ever seen the Dead can testify that one of its shows will add quite a bit of color to the environment here at Stanford. Anyone who has not seen one of these spectacles should have the opportunity to do so. The Grateful Dead are an important part of the Bay Area's cultural history. Those of us who saw them last week can testify that the Dead are alive and well. The Concert Network would be hard-pressed to find an act which would bring Frost Amphitheatre to life as the Dead would. - The Stanford Daily

As you know by now, we'd certainly have voted aye on this motion, so much so, that we've loaded up DAVE'S PICKS 49 with not one, but two complete Grateful Dead shows from the Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 4/27/85 and 4/28/85. The first shows from '85 in the series, these back-to-back hometown performances couldn't be more different while delivering the same level of passion and precision, five hours of it, in fact.

In 1985, the band were celebrating "20 Years So Far," a feat that found them on these particular nights confident with invention in terms of both setlists and playing. There are old songs renewed, rare covers revived, undeniably nuanced Jerry moments, and a few surprises from Brent Mydland too. While it's impossible to select highlights, we can say with certainty that the overall clarity of these shows is unparalleled, courtesy of Dan Healy's recordings.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 49: FROST AMPHITHEATRE, STANFORD U, PALO ALTO, CA 4/27/85 & 4/28/85 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Another couple shows I grabbed was from the Jimmy Herring iteration of the Brothers, which was a joyous thing for me as I attended the 6-18-00 one in Charlotte, but missed the second, Raleigh 9-23-00. Having serious regrets now. Firstly they did Boz Scaggs's Loan Me a Dime, which Duane played a 6 damn min solo on, and apparently played it a bunch that tour starting a month after CLT. But they also added a ripping Franklin's Tower, and Jimmy shreds that one to pieces. It is delightful. The Les Brers in A Minor is pretty sick, too, and a 38 min Mtn Jam. I'm in guitar heaven over here.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

....thankfully, I'm used to that.
Pink Talking Fish were pretty damn good. Would see them again.
Phish's Round Room vinyl arriving Friday.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Dennis

Dennis - they didn't send me any chips when I ordered DP2. Sorry.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

Received #49 yesterday. Still have not received a shipping notice. Received the shipping notice 2 days after #48 arrived. Really happy with this release. Not a top 10 but definitely worth adding to the collection.

user picture

Member for

7 months

NEW eta today before 1900 hours, NO fingers-crossed today. better half works on thursday, so you know the drill:)
here's to you the unites states postal service; and btw neither rain, nor snow, nor sleet, nor hail shall keep my mail person from delivering the goods REAL SOON LOL!

Peace All!
uncle_tripel

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

This set was a little too big for the box it was shipped in. Sadly mine is crushed. CD's aren't broken, but lots of damage and plastic bits and the package is a disaster. Great shows though.

I had a package delivered from FedEx this morning. I didn't receive a tracking notification. It is my subscriptions!
This is the first time Rhino has ever used FedEx to deliver me a Dave's Picks. Sweet! Love it. No UPS Surepost.

Great job.

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

said yesterday, then changed to today, we will see.
Last 5

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

bull shit can't say last 5? come on

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

...49 is here. 20460/25000. Man I love spring and summer '85. I know Garcia's voice is rough but personally I do not mind it, and musically the band is just playing so very well.

Brent's sound is just so full and lush. Just like Garcia wanted back when he said that piano + guitars + drums were "all percussive" and they wanted "more color and sustain", well they sure have it in spades at this point. Phil is like a thundercloud on stage... guess married life was agreeing with him. Weir can be heard well in this mix. I'm only on the first disc but I always love what Bill and Mickey get up to in '85, can't wait for that.

And I dig Lemieux's notes saying "sorry it took so long" because g-ddamn it really did take a long time! Over eight years since the last official '85 release. That's too long, Dave - I hope you're serious when you said y'all are excited to release more from this year

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by marye

Dear Marye,

We all know you to be the helper who lurks round here to assist with issues or shared observations on this here board. As you know many frequenters of this space come here to interact with each other and send out positive vibes and commentary to each other's delight. It is one of the few relatively calm, open and friendly spaces for us to e-congregate. That being said, this Hey Now business has been going on for quite some time - a matter of months at this point. We'd like to think that someone upstairs has been queued in to our hardship here, but that is just speculation.

Are you able to provide us with any information at all around the reasoning behind all of this Hey Now 'censorship' or that it is actually known about and that anyone is doing something about it? The levels of frustration are palpable across nearly all posts. We seem to take it in stride at this point, but I am hopefully speaking for many if not All when we say we'd love to get some kind of feedback or acknowledgment around our ongoing plight. At the end of the day, we Deadfreaks are your number one customer and we'd prefer not to feel alienated or ignored in consideration of our vast and constant outpouring of love for the GD and these wonderful musical offerings.

We Thank You in Advance for any information you might be able to share.

Sixtus & All

user picture

Member for

10 months

2839/25000 arrived here in coastal NC today sans shipping confirm, which is no problem at all if they come this fast. One nit with packaging is that the middle cover seam ripped a third of the way up from a single handling to read the liner notes. The 4 CD pack is heavier and the cardboard seam in the middle of 2 on each side just wasn't up to snuff. Nothing a little Scotch tape can't handle. Gonna set the setting and get into it tonight. Stoked!

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

well said, better than I would have said it. I concur, Mary can you get some info on the ongoing censorship? In the words of Larry the Cable guy "what is this, Russia?"

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

HA! My Dave's 49 arrived last Saturday, and I receive a shipping notice today!

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

But the image is of DaP 2 vinyl and package weight is 4.7 pounds? Thought that was coming in April, but anybody else order the Subscription and DaP 2 vinyl on same order?

Edited to add: a shipping notice for DaP 49 came in 20 min later. And I just peeked at the DaP 2 vinyl page, and it says releases 2-2-24, so guess we're on schedule for that, and so I'll have some '85 and some '74. Give me Weather Report Suite over just Let It Grow any day. And can never, ever go wrong with a Scarlet opener.

user picture

Member for

2 years 9 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

the shipping notice for Dave's 2 Vinyl interesting for the first timer FEDEX. I ordered both the sub and vinyl at the same time.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Got the notice a few minutes ago. I’ve been watching it via USPS since Saturday. Got to Ohio this morning. Hopefully I get it tomorrow.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

Just came guess I know what I’ll be doing while I do the colonoscopy drink tonight 😆

user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

In reply to by Born Cross Eye…

After listening to both shows once, it sounds like I'm listening to both shows on the original cassettes on the original deck in Healy's Rack in the sound and lighting nest for the first time. Thanks to ALL involved in these shows and their eventual release.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 11 months

Frost sooo good for the Head!

Thanks Dave & Jeffrey!!!

Don't hold back we be in the zone...

85' box set, Greeks thru Chula! Let's go!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Yeah! As always...go Brent!

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Rolling. Love the pictures in the liner notes. I wish I could read the articles in there but the print is way to small for my eyes. Interesting they didn't use Plangent on these cassettes like did for #39. Sound is good so far.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 3 months

Best album ever released. Thank you for getting it right this time Dave. Really appreciate it! You can stop releasing shows now, you accomplished heaven.

....getting ready for bed. With no '85 Frost yet, figured I'd go with #40. Deer Creek '90.
Because I'm a Touchhead and ❤️ me some Brent.
1990 was a good year up until July 26th.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Vguy72

VGuy72 - I stumbled across Khruanghbin for the first time about two days ago on youtube. At first I wondered if they were a spoof - after a few minutes I realised how good they were. Totally unlike any other 3 piece guitar/bass/drums band I have ever heard. I would really like to see them live myself.

user picture

Member for

7 months

PHOTO'S...thnx robbi & bob; and used the phone technology [magnifier] to compensate for my poor eyesight to read all the articles

peace all!
uncle_tripel

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by uncle_tripel

....Dead & Co. 14 day residency at the Sphere. There was a SYF on it last night.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 3 months

Surprised when I opened my mailbox to see that little magic box! Shipping notice received about 3 hours later… Even though most of my lives shows were ‘81 to 86, I am an early 70’s fan most of all, but listening to these shows loud and rocking out on a dreary day in Goose Creek, South Carolina…and loving it!

btw, I think subscribers should be able to pick their serial numbers as a bonus for subscribing……

user picture

Member for

5 years 3 months

Dave's 49 CD 4: Wow, I find myself enjoying the Hell in a Bucket on this one - A song I could usually do without. This one has some jammy excitement to it, and sounds like the drummers especially are having some fun. Poor vocal performance from Jerry on Crazy Fingers to remind you that this is 1985, but the music to Crazy Fingers is just exactly perfect IMO - For that reason I wouldn't mind listening to this version quite a bit more - Beautiful playing from all involved! Great PITB, and loving the beautiful, jazzy, Other One-ish jam tacked onto the end of China Doll . . . still working my way through this disc, but might be my favorite of the 4.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Reprising what we said in the most recent Bulletin:

"We're very grateful for your continued patience as we work our way through through some persistent tech issues. We're looking at ways to bring you new, improved forums and message boards in the not too distant future, and we appreciate you hanging in there with us as we sort it out. Thank you!"

Meanwhile, I appreciate all your persistence and resourcefulness in times of adversity. Thanks!

user picture

Member for

7 years

That's one sweet picture of Jerry on page eleven.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by carlo13

#12119 in the PO Box on this blue sky morning. John Deere time machine dialed in for 4/27/85 and it sounds wondrous on the Sennheisers. Thanks Dave and crew!!

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by marye

Hi Marye...as I posted recently Hendrix Freak is unable to log in as his password isn't recognized and he keeps getting a digital run around on creating a new account...he asked me again to reach out to you to help resolve his issues...his email as follows

"I can't even get tech support because the site has blocked me from even creating a new password to even try to message anyone at it, let alone the forum.

Would you post that ASAP, as I see that Marye has communicated that they're trying to fix the 'hey now' problem? But it's bigger than that. I'm in exile and it just seems rude, given my 53 year customer status. "

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Thanks for the heads up. I'll get in touch with Hendrix Freak and see if we can figure this out.
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

#7911 has arrived! I'll listen to the first show tonight after dinner with a bowl and a few beers.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by marye

That comment in the Bulletin that Marye re-printed made me think about how often people go to great lengths, and cause disruption along the way, trying to improve things that don't need improving to begin with.
I'm not having a go at anyone on here saying that - it seems to be a general symptom of society. Gives people something to do, I suppose.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 6 months

In reply to by TN John

first impression...the sound quality is much much better than I was expecting from SBD cassette masters...Plangent and Jeffrey Norman got the magic going.

this bodes well for more 85 shows.... it's time for Merriweather and perhaps Hershey

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Supposedly it left a hub 34 hours ago, which is 1 hour, 34 minutes from my house. No updates. I almost could walk that. Oh well… It gets here when it gets here.

Third try to post this.

user picture

Member for

10 months

4/27 is a gem. Tight. 4/28, the second track, MHSUT, had me nervous but Jerry really rallied for the rest of the show! Glad we got the full show!

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by VirgoHead

rollingstone

Dot

com/music/music-news/

dead-and-company-las-vegas-sphere-residency-1234957651/amp/

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-49-frost-amphitheatre-stanford-university-palo-alto-ca-42785-and-42885/081227817442.html