• 1,202 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Anyone who has ever seen the Dead can testify that one of its shows will add quite a bit of color to the environment here at Stanford. Anyone who has not seen one of these spectacles should have the opportunity to do so. The Grateful Dead are an important part of the Bay Area's cultural history. Those of us who saw them last week can testify that the Dead are alive and well. The Concert Network would be hard-pressed to find an act which would bring Frost Amphitheatre to life as the Dead would. - The Stanford Daily

As you know by now, we'd certainly have voted aye on this motion, so much so, that we've loaded up DAVE'S PICKS 49 with not one, but two complete Grateful Dead shows from the Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 4/27/85 and 4/28/85. The first shows from '85 in the series, these back-to-back hometown performances couldn't be more different while delivering the same level of passion and precision, five hours of it, in fact.

In 1985, the band were celebrating "20 Years So Far," a feat that found them on these particular nights confident with invention in terms of both setlists and playing. There are old songs renewed, rare covers revived, undeniably nuanced Jerry moments, and a few surprises from Brent Mydland too. While it's impossible to select highlights, we can say with certainty that the overall clarity of these shows is unparalleled, courtesy of Dan Healy's recordings.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 49: FROST AMPHITHEATRE, STANFORD U, PALO ALTO, CA 4/27/85 & 4/28/85 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Oroborous

For a real good time!
    Hopefully we won’t have to wait another 10 YEARS for some 85 love!

Well 49 old friend, it’s been a gas but I guess it’s happy trails for awhile.
    Tanks for the memories

• 1stshow70878

Had to look that up.
    The spoken part between:
    Redemption funds,
    Stocks and bonds.
    Scruggs, the master of the three finger rolling style. Changed everything.
    Cheers

• dmcvt

I tried to post but was Hey Nowed to death. Thanks Jim for perspective, good to keep big picture when greed rears its ugly head. First show, you called it, Trischka's first set was dedicated to the Earl Jam release which will drop June 7 sparked by him being sent a thumb drive with Earl and John Hartford jams, like the Pizza tapes. Yes, audience sing along, Rainy Day Women, Lady Madonna if you can believe it in bluegrass and yes, the Beverly theme, all three verses. concert is on line search on the Mainstay in Maryland.

• uncle_tripel

...NRPS, 1970-05-15, early show F i LL m o r east
    ...Little FEAT, down on the farm
    ...Chet Atkins, The Essential Chet Atkins
    ...Van Morrison, Enlightenment
    ...Kill to get Crimson, Mark Knopfler

enjoy your day everyone, and PEACE for ALL!
    uncle_tripel

• icecrmcnkd

Those were the daze……

• 1stshow70878

We ask that all the time.
    Ashes, ashes, all fall down.
    But stuff's getting better I think.
    Cheers
    Had way more but got HNed.

• JimInMD

It did cost over a $Billion dollars to build. They are going to have to recoup that somehow. I can't figure out this one, it's probably worth it once or twice if you're sitting on such a wad of cash in your pocket that it's giving you curvature of the spine carrying it around. Especially if there are party favors involved.

I passed on D&C and Phish but have given this a lot of thought. I'm waiting for holographic Elvis opening up for the GD with holographic Jerry and holograpahic Pigpen. I wonder what they'd charge for that?

So I guess I'm with ConeKid on this one. Too much, too fast.

Edit: I would gladly pay scalper prices for the chance to see the Grateful Dead with Jerry at the Greek Theater again. I'd call that a bargain. My first GD ticket cost me $10, showed up a half hour before show time and the tickets were tenth row center purchased from the nicest couple I have perhaps ever met outside the venue without fear of scalpers or fake tickets, etc. Soon after that I happily gave the nice gentleman hanging out in the dark, under the stairwell another $4 for two small pieces of parchment about 4 minutes after we got inside. Another bargain, I wish I could thank him. What a change 42 years can make in a world. What have we become?

• icecrmcnkd

Ticketmaster Platinum is dynamic pricing.
    What a scam.

I haven’t been to a show since 2017 D&C (where I paid $99 for GA floor).
    Instead of a trip to Vegas for D&C Sphere I can use that cash for a new refrigerator and living room furniture. I’ll get way more enjoyment out of those.

• Vguy72
    Face was $160 when they first went on sale....

....so, yeah.
    I would've paid $500, but it didn't pan out. Could I afford $1200? Yes. But there has to be a line drawn in the sand at some point.

• 1stshow70878

I'll be looking for that tribute to Earl.
    Been a fan since the Beverly Hillbillies, lol.
    Tony T. in a club? Heavenly!
    Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

Anyone who has ever seen the Dead can testify that one of its shows will add quite a bit of color to the environment here at Stanford. Anyone who has not seen one of these spectacles should have the opportunity to do so. The Grateful Dead are an important part of the Bay Area's cultural history. Those of us who saw them last week can testify that the Dead are alive and well. The Concert Network would be hard-pressed to find an act which would bring Frost Amphitheatre to life as the Dead would. - The Stanford Daily

As you know by now, we'd certainly have voted aye on this motion, so much so, that we've loaded up DAVE'S PICKS 49 with not one, but two complete Grateful Dead shows from the Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 4/27/85 and 4/28/85. The first shows from '85 in the series, these back-to-back hometown performances couldn't be more different while delivering the same level of passion and precision, five hours of it, in fact.

In 1985, the band were celebrating "20 Years So Far," a feat that found them on these particular nights confident with invention in terms of both setlists and playing. There are old songs renewed, rare covers revived, undeniably nuanced Jerry moments, and a few surprises from Brent Mydland too. While it's impossible to select highlights, we can say with certainty that the overall clarity of these shows is unparalleled, courtesy of Dan Healy's recordings.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 49: FROST AMPHITHEATRE, STANFORD U, PALO ALTO, CA 4/27/85 & 4/28/85 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

Dixon wrote every song he is known for. As for stolen songs the reverse is actually the case. Most 60’s 70’s and 80’s rock bands did at least 1 of his songs and frequently didn’t give credit. The worst were of course Zep and of course Chess Records . He finally got his rights back before he died and set up Blues Heaven Foundation

user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

I would have to go back to some of the blues biographies in my collection to confirm, but it was pretty well established that Willie Dixon would get new, young players in Chicago Chess sessions and proceed to take writing credits for the songs artists brought in. He knew the real money was in the songwriting credits. This is why he was so prolific. He wasn't the only one doing that in the music industry of the 1950s, but it is pretty well known.

My intention was not to demean VT in any way. I love Vermont and get back there quite often. I actually spent quite a bit of time outside of Burlington. My point was simply to illustrate the volume of traffic. When you’re hitchhiking on the New York State Thruway you have access to about 100 cars a minute. When you’re hitchhiking on the back roads of Vermont, you’re lucky to get one car every couple of minutes, often interspersed with farm equipment. That’s all.

My apologies for any misunderstanding.

Thanks for the warm welcome back. I spent several weeks down in Margaritaville. So away from net for the most part and phones. Holding close to my 5 oclock somewhere attitude; as well as, 420 somewhere attitude. Had some friends come down to visit at various times. Mostly welcomed the year blotto. Gulf Coast is lots of fun off season.

And yeah, i needed a break from hey now. Think it actually raised my blood pressure. But yeah, feels good to be home again and home here again.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by estimated-eyes

There's a documentary on and with Buddy Guy, in which he states that Willie Dixon routinely amended other peoples songs, changed a word here and there, and then claimed authorship. In the same film Muddy Waters agrees that such behaviour was common practice around the blues scene in the 1950's. And he should know - "Rollin' and Tumblin" is often credited to him - yet it was first recorded by Hambone Willie Newbern in 1929.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Thanks HF and others. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing and I should check my sources better. That GD cover of Same Thing from 1967 is sure rough and ready.

Edit: I was unaware that they did that song way back in the primal era. I do remember an interview with Bob about working with Willie. I liked the song Eternity in the later era. Was that Rat Dog or GD?

Cheers

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

First hand evidence suggests you were actually right. I do like that version of "Same Thing" from 1966 that is either on "Vintage" or Historic" Dead.

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

Play at the S.F. Blues festival, he put on a great show. "I'm Ready and Hoochie Choochie Man" two great songs Willie Dixon wrote done by Muddy Waters.

....my last fives have been blocked.
Lets see....
Taylor Swift - Red
Pink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds
Pink Floyd - Meddle
GOGD - The Second Frost Show
Blue Oyster Cult - Tyranny And Mutation
Hey now!! He likes it! Hey Mikey!!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 11 months

D>Beautiful S>Wheel!
Truckin'>Other One transition!
Black Peter!

Just for starters.

Team Dead firing on all cylinders!

The recording, the recording!!!

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Shared love for the transition out of Space into Wheel. Very fluid.
Also nice to see BÖC in the comments. My first concert was them with Aldo Nova opening, 1982. I was 15.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by ronmarley1

....Imaginos.
I have it on CD. Worth a little bit apparently.
Then again, peeps are selling Dead tapes on Instagram.
Not. For. Sale.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by Vguy72

A song JGB should have covered

Rock and Roll with Me - David Bowie

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

have virgin listen of 49 on road trip later this month

I feel like Newman with his jambalaya

user picture

Member for

7 months

songwriters, and well, those musicians, guitarists, vocalists and arrangers from the 1930's thru the 1960's, man, oh man they greased the skids for the future of rock n roll! thanks everyone for talkin' about the artists willie dixon and chester burnett, gonna have to cue -up some of those classics!

Rhythm and Blues had a child, and it's name was Rock n Roll!

peace all!
uncle_tripel

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by uncle_tripel

It's all good, just wanted to comment about changing cultural demographics and highway system as relating to hitchhiking. Transition to Vermont from Maine in late 1980, soon after the Lewiston Dead show, had a car then, but did hitch hike late 60s and through the mid 1970s up and down the east coast from Virginia to Maine. Some great rides, some sketchy. Hitch hiked around Maine locally from Portland to Augusta and along the coast in the 70s, easy with significant population. Long a music lover, saw an incredible range of music in Maine in the 70s, after moving to Vermont, Burlington was big beacon, the only urban city in the state, though Rutland, Montpelier, Brattleboro came close. We went up to Burl for much music, mostly at Hunts but did see Miles at The Flynn in 1986. What continues to impress me is the amazing amount of hyperlocal high level performance thats out there, I had written more detail but got the hey now, so...

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

I base my (possibly half-assed) view of Willie Dixon on the turns of phrase in "his" songs. That and I guess I just flat-out revere the man. The turns of phrase in the tight glove of chord progressions and turnarounds sure seems to me like a unique signature belonging to the man.

But others here say otherwise. I therefore propose that all differences of opinion get a fair hearing, a little mutual head-nodding, and then progress to the bar after the pause that refreshes in the parking lot.

1stShow, I will henceforth listen first, do a cannonball into the pool second.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Mine was a generalization based on comments read elsewhere and was wrong. I think the key is that this was a common practice in the era and I sure can't judge the man. His writing stands up to the scrutiny and is a brilliant style all its own. Jump on in, the water's fine!
I do like Eternity, which is likely not everyone's favorite 90s GD cover but I never really cared for The Same Thing for some reason. Spoonful is a classic no doubt.
Cheers

HF - absolutely. None of us were there at the time, and it's curious why we believe what we do. Apart from the Buddy Guy documentary, I read a great biography of Howlin' Wolf last year by James Segrest and Mark Hoffman. "Moanin' at Midnight" it's called. The references to Willie Dixon suggest he was quite astute in his business dealings and approach. Drummer Francis Clay says that Willie was basically a lyricist and the music was constructed by the bands who made the records.
"Spoonful" is a case in point. Is he credited with that one? It was based on a Charley Patton song, and the incredible power of the original Howlin Wolf record is down to Wolf and his amazing band. Jimmy Rodgers also states that Willie took ownership of many songs that were actually band compositions.
But this is only what I have read - and those people mentioned above may be wrong. But the more you read, the more a picture builds that all wasn't quite what we have been led to believe.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 months 1 week

Hello all - today the 3-cd set Sing out landed at my door. Disc 3 - the Garcia/Weir (with Kahn and the drummers) set is soo sweet.. The sound is wonderful - Owsleys last GD recording.. Get this while you can.. BW Danehead

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

I love that album. Been a LONG time. I had this on LP - which I think was made in Germany - but at the end of college I bunged a lot of my stuff into the garage at my parents' home and left it there for a few years. When I went back to retrieve my stuff, a fair amount of it had been 'thinned out' by my brother's friends.

All the Hendrix and Zeppelin was gone; most of the Marley, Tosh, Bunny Wailer... and ofc the Pink Floyd. They left Dark Side of the Moon, but I'm guessing that's bc nearly everyone had a copy. Same with the Marley "Legend" album. However, they didn't realize the value of the SST collection, so I still have all of my Black Flag vinyl xD

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

I was thinking about GD covers, when I thought 2 Pink Floyd covers would have been good for GD.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Wish You Were Here. Great encore song for after a very strong show, and capping off what those off the bus for that date missed.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Saw a killer WsP show in 2000, where they did Wish You Were here as a 2nd encore, really a great bonding experience for the hippies. Had VW Vans, quite a few, from states out West like Colorado and California.

I spent a ton of time at Hunts in college. I loved that place.

I had more to post about it, but the censors are back. Wtf.

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

So the censors are back? Booo.

edit: yes, they are most certainly back. In trying to type this, I found that the word k.e.y.w.o.r.d is blocked. So is the name of a famous venue, W.interland <- well, I guess that's a way to get around it

What I really wanted to post about was Wish You Were Here, but this is just... it's dispiriting.

....was wrong.
That being said, 2.11.69 vinyl is up on pre-order.
Triple gatefold. Three records. $125. Gonna pass unfortunately.

True, I haven't been able to get anything by for months with that word in it, especially when I use to talk about the 2024 box set.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Phil and Friends covered it a handful of times. I saw them play it at Red Rocks in '99. Very beautiful and moving. An otherworldly, instrumental, Stella Blue proceeded it. Kimock and Haynes on guitars.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

2 copy and paste the hey now comment but would not let me post it. It is on their site?

hmmmm

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Experience Vinyl seem to have the best price. They say very limited.

I couldn't pass up :-) I'm still passing on the Barbie box that is out, 10 years out maybe very desirable to Barbie Heads.

You (and a few others others) are always on the top of your game.

Is Barbie Heads, like Dead Heads, or is it Barbie Heads, like will learn on the Pickers show, the head of something is almost always the most valuable part of a collectible?

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Furthur 4-3-11 set 2

Iko Iko
The Last Time
Wharf Rat
Born Cross-Eyed
Dark Star
Time
Breathe (Reprise)
Dear Prudence
The Eleven
Terrapin Station

Phil doing Water’s bass part on Time was awesome.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

With Vince in the band, should have done The Tubes “White Punks On Dope”

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

This is my seventh attempt to post. I keep being told the recraptcha answer was wrong but I’m not getting another set of pictures.
I hope other European customers are getting theirs.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

I threw Barbie heads together on my own :-)

For people that collect everything Barbie.

In any event, if you missed. VMP is offering a "box" of Barbie. Two lp's in pink, a driver license for Barbie (that's actually a cardboard single), a picture of Ken and a pink pocketbook, that I assume holds the albums.

Only reason I thought about getting was Barbie-Heads. 10 years from now might be worth a few bucks. I'll go out on a limb here, maybe BH's don't watch LP releases and you could have one of the few for sale someday.

I bet they get a good buck for a beach house!

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

U s & T h e m. W o u l d h a v e m a d e a g o o d E n c o r e a l s o, o r u s e b e f o r e o r a f t e r D / S. A g a i n, j u s t s h o w i n g t h e b i g p i c t u r e d i f f e r e n c e b e t w e e n s o c i e t y a t l a r g e a n d t h o s e t h a t d r o p o u t, o r p u l l b a c k f r o m b e i n g s o i n t e g r a t e d w i t h t h e m.

S t i l l m o r e.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Still no 49. Monique at Deadnet no help at all. UPS supposedly gave it off to Mail Innovations (what a bs name) in Denver (?) but no tracking for that handoff or a USPS tracking number. USPS won't help without a tracking number, which I have always gotten after the handoff. How much is that better shipping option for next year's subscription? Likely worth it!
Cheers

I’ve had the same thing happen a few times: makes it to Denver in good time, then no one scans at the handoff to usps and then it seems to disappear?
Fortunately, it has always eventually showed up, but at least a week or so after it should/could have arrived, bastids!
Just what us old timers need, more unnecessary stress!

I still cannot understand why we can’t choose our shipping method, so what if it costs more!

user picture

Member for

2 years 9 months

Songs the Dead coulda done? Woody Guthrie all the way. Pretty Boy Floyd, I Ain't Got No Home. And then More Woody.

Finally a double Bob/Jerry encore played as a reminder of our shared humanity, relevant to today's times: What's So Funny Bout Peace Love and Understanding. (Followed by crowd call and response like knockin hopefully?), then a 2nd encore, "Deportee (Plane Wreck at Los Gatos). We exit the venue with tears in our eyes, as Jerry's last chords continue to play in our heads.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

If the Dead had covered a Pink Floyd song, I would have preferred something a bit more open ended, with less vocals. Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun by the 1969 version of the band for example.
And how about Careful With That Axe Eugene in 1974 ? Donna could have done the scream...

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Well, I could imagine a cover version of "White Bird" by: It's A Beautiful Day.
But on the other hand, this song is in it's original version a 100 %er.
Nevertheless I wonder what the Dead would've made out of it.
Cheers
G

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Just finished my first listen to 49. Love the mix, Thanks Dan Healy! Thanks to all who worked on this release. I can hear all the instruments so clearly.

I was thinking when I listen to 1974 period, its like listening to jazz, very intellectual and improvisational. When I listen to this 1985, it's more powerful and yet still improvisational, but more edgy.

I like all periods, to be clear. This release is easily one of my favorite Dave's. I will listen to it often.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-49-frost-amphitheatre-stanford-university-palo-alto-ca-42785-and-42885/081227817442.html