• 1,202 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Anyone who has ever seen the Dead can testify that one of its shows will add quite a bit of color to the environment here at Stanford. Anyone who has not seen one of these spectacles should have the opportunity to do so. The Grateful Dead are an important part of the Bay Area's cultural history. Those of us who saw them last week can testify that the Dead are alive and well. The Concert Network would be hard-pressed to find an act which would bring Frost Amphitheatre to life as the Dead would. - The Stanford Daily

As you know by now, we'd certainly have voted aye on this motion, so much so, that we've loaded up DAVE'S PICKS 49 with not one, but two complete Grateful Dead shows from the Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 4/27/85 and 4/28/85. The first shows from '85 in the series, these back-to-back hometown performances couldn't be more different while delivering the same level of passion and precision, five hours of it, in fact.

In 1985, the band were celebrating "20 Years So Far," a feat that found them on these particular nights confident with invention in terms of both setlists and playing. There are old songs renewed, rare covers revived, undeniably nuanced Jerry moments, and a few surprises from Brent Mydland too. While it's impossible to select highlights, we can say with certainty that the overall clarity of these shows is unparalleled, courtesy of Dan Healy's recordings.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 49: FROST AMPHITHEATRE, STANFORD U, PALO ALTO, CA 4/27/85 & 4/28/85 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Oroborous

For a real good time!
    Hopefully we won’t have to wait another 10 YEARS for some 85 love!

Well 49 old friend, it’s been a gas but I guess it’s happy trails for awhile.
    Tanks for the memories

• 1stshow70878

Had to look that up.
    The spoken part between:
    Redemption funds,
    Stocks and bonds.
    Scruggs, the master of the three finger rolling style. Changed everything.
    Cheers

• dmcvt

I tried to post but was Hey Nowed to death. Thanks Jim for perspective, good to keep big picture when greed rears its ugly head. First show, you called it, Trischka's first set was dedicated to the Earl Jam release which will drop June 7 sparked by him being sent a thumb drive with Earl and John Hartford jams, like the Pizza tapes. Yes, audience sing along, Rainy Day Women, Lady Madonna if you can believe it in bluegrass and yes, the Beverly theme, all three verses. concert is on line search on the Mainstay in Maryland.

• uncle_tripel

...NRPS, 1970-05-15, early show F i LL m o r east
    ...Little FEAT, down on the farm
    ...Chet Atkins, The Essential Chet Atkins
    ...Van Morrison, Enlightenment
    ...Kill to get Crimson, Mark Knopfler

enjoy your day everyone, and PEACE for ALL!
    uncle_tripel

• icecrmcnkd

Those were the daze……

• 1stshow70878

We ask that all the time.
    Ashes, ashes, all fall down.
    But stuff's getting better I think.
    Cheers
    Had way more but got HNed.

• JimInMD

It did cost over a $Billion dollars to build. They are going to have to recoup that somehow. I can't figure out this one, it's probably worth it once or twice if you're sitting on such a wad of cash in your pocket that it's giving you curvature of the spine carrying it around. Especially if there are party favors involved.

I passed on D&C and Phish but have given this a lot of thought. I'm waiting for holographic Elvis opening up for the GD with holographic Jerry and holograpahic Pigpen. I wonder what they'd charge for that?

So I guess I'm with ConeKid on this one. Too much, too fast.

Edit: I would gladly pay scalper prices for the chance to see the Grateful Dead with Jerry at the Greek Theater again. I'd call that a bargain. My first GD ticket cost me $10, showed up a half hour before show time and the tickets were tenth row center purchased from the nicest couple I have perhaps ever met outside the venue without fear of scalpers or fake tickets, etc. Soon after that I happily gave the nice gentleman hanging out in the dark, under the stairwell another $4 for two small pieces of parchment about 4 minutes after we got inside. Another bargain, I wish I could thank him. What a change 42 years can make in a world. What have we become?

• icecrmcnkd

Ticketmaster Platinum is dynamic pricing.
    What a scam.

I haven’t been to a show since 2017 D&C (where I paid $99 for GA floor).
    Instead of a trip to Vegas for D&C Sphere I can use that cash for a new refrigerator and living room furniture. I’ll get way more enjoyment out of those.

• Vguy72
    Face was $160 when they first went on sale....

....so, yeah.
    I would've paid $500, but it didn't pan out. Could I afford $1200? Yes. But there has to be a line drawn in the sand at some point.

• 1stshow70878

I'll be looking for that tribute to Earl.
    Been a fan since the Beverly Hillbillies, lol.
    Tony T. in a club? Heavenly!
    Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

Anyone who has ever seen the Dead can testify that one of its shows will add quite a bit of color to the environment here at Stanford. Anyone who has not seen one of these spectacles should have the opportunity to do so. The Grateful Dead are an important part of the Bay Area's cultural history. Those of us who saw them last week can testify that the Dead are alive and well. The Concert Network would be hard-pressed to find an act which would bring Frost Amphitheatre to life as the Dead would. - The Stanford Daily

As you know by now, we'd certainly have voted aye on this motion, so much so, that we've loaded up DAVE'S PICKS 49 with not one, but two complete Grateful Dead shows from the Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 4/27/85 and 4/28/85. The first shows from '85 in the series, these back-to-back hometown performances couldn't be more different while delivering the same level of passion and precision, five hours of it, in fact.

In 1985, the band were celebrating "20 Years So Far," a feat that found them on these particular nights confident with invention in terms of both setlists and playing. There are old songs renewed, rare covers revived, undeniably nuanced Jerry moments, and a few surprises from Brent Mydland too. While it's impossible to select highlights, we can say with certainty that the overall clarity of these shows is unparalleled, courtesy of Dan Healy's recordings.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 49: FROST AMPHITHEATRE, STANFORD U, PALO ALTO, CA 4/27/85 & 4/28/85 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

H Ha Conekid, I w a s T h I n k I n g t h e s a m e t h I n g! . R e m e m b e r w h e n h e s a I d “I h a v e t o w a t c h I t I’m o n l y b u y I n g t w o a m o n t h ” lol. J u s t t e a s I n g of c o u r s e, w h a t e v e r ma k e s y o u h a p p y, c a n t b e
t h a t wrong as the song goes!
And hey, compared to Dennis, w e r e all a bunch d I l et t a n t e s

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by nitecat

Welcome back Thin! Good to hear from you.

This year's box, 10/16-10/20/74! Buckle up.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

I know “solo” Hornsby work doesn’t get a lot of comments here, but I’m just curious if anyone has heard his new release - Deep Sea Vents - and any feedback?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by That Mike

But I know who’s coming to T town tonight lol
And they’ll prolly get spanked ; )

I know Molos still got it, but Phil’s starting that Old Folks Boogie…
Hey, at least he’s still out there trying!
Onward!

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Going to see her play Bob Dylan's infamous "Judas" show from 5/17/66.
She Belongs to Me, Visions of Johanna, It's All Over Now Baby Blue, Desolation Row,
Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues...all lovingly covered by the GOGD...plus all the other great stuff...4th row center, 600 seat theater. An edible is in order.

I had said 2023 would be my last year of physically attending shows. I am moving to more watching PPV shows from home.

Still haven't had time to listen/watch Phish Gamehendge from NYE. Hopefully, this weekend

However decided to go to a few more. An intimate evening with Joe Bonamassa, and an even more intimate evenings with Ricky Skaggs and then Los Lobos. Both playing a small local vaudeville turned movie theater.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

👍

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by That Mike

....Phish returned from their 4 1/2 year hiatus in Hampton.
If you want to see something awesome, check out the crowd reaction on youtoob when they started playing Fluffhead. On second thought. Watch it all the way through.
I don't know about you, but I get goosebumps.
Good on Trey for avoiding the Garcia spiral.

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

Love this show! The Ramble on Rose, Tom Thumb's Blues, and Drums>Space>The Wheel are exceptional! I just had to share my humble opinion!

...I went to a show in this Phish tour - on May 31st 2009 they swung through Boston and I recall hearing about it on the radio THAT DAY and looking for tickets; low and behold I scored two right on the spot and they were great seats, in a box right on the edge of the Fenway Lawn. That show was the initial resurgence of Phish back into my listening and appreciation repertoire after having fallen off the radar during their hiatus. Haven't looked back since.

Sphere shows are going to be INSANE. I hope people have harnesses to keep them on their feet and in the stands!

THIN, good to see you lurking and popping up! It's been too long brother!

Be Well People!
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by bigbrownie

Have tried multiple to post recently, no dice, hey now. Gary Farseer, same thing, stopped going to larger hall concerts, still hit the smaller rooms and a few outdoor things. However, a great friend has invited me to join him at Phil's birthday concert a week from tomorrow at the Capitol Port Chester. Can't wait to see those special guests! Deep Sea Vents can be heard on utu be.

Getting excited for the big 5-0 Dave's Picks. It will be interesting to see how it stacks up against 4/30/77 (Download Series #1) from the same venue. Not often talked about but definitely a top tier 77.

And let's get that box announced.

Still owe reply from event spaces previously sent. Will get to it. Never done a deep dive on Capitol. Known about it for years, of course. What a beautiful space. Karl Denson crazy crazy excellent. Seen him a few times down New Orleans way. Just an incredible artist!

And Sixtus: How is the fruitful bough? Hope things well with all of yours.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Wow! What an event calendar. So many I would go see there if I were close. Maybe I should move? Especially now that feeble pops passed away almost 2 weeks ago.. In the words of one super group: "Don't Look Back, the Dawn Is Breaking..."

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by Gary Farseer

It's a big deal for me too, not quite as old as Phil, but extra careful these days with various exposures, so pleased to consider being there. Saw Phil & Friends five years ago on the Burlington waterfront. Weather permitting, will drive down to Boston from Vermont then ride with a most kind friend down to Port Chester. My benefactor has been to many shows, for years on medical support staff. He says we have killer seats.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by dmcvt

Just figured out John Mayer is playing through John Meyer's PA systems. Go figure. Go...Panther!

EDIT: John (and of course, Helen's) PA. If memory serves she is more technical than him.

Have fun at the Capitol. It’s an awesome venue. Never saw a bad show there. Make sure you spend some time on the floor before you head up to your seats. There’s also a ton of good restaurants in Port Chester.

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

Y'all this show is amazing! Gotta love the Playin' sandwich!

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

My friend has been there a bunch, a first visit for me, a holy grail place with every indication of being a peak experience. Late life trifecta, hit MSG and Fillmore East back in the 70s. Fingers crossed for good travel weather, so weird there's no snow cover up here, lilacs budding, daffodils poking up.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

Wait till they release 1982.

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

Happy Heavenly B-day Townes Van Zandt!
RIP John Perry Barlow!
Peace

Pigpen passed over to the other side...I was working for the Cal Forestry driving a truck that day from our spike camp at Big Sur to our main camp at Los Osos, midway between San Luis Obispo and Morro Bay...we had the radio on and heard the news... such a sad thing, had been hoping he could get his health together but it didn't happen...turned out the Hollywood Bowl show the previous year was his last...Sail On Bro', Sail on...

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Doing American Beauty.
Cut from orig. stereo master tapes.
5000 limited. 180 g.
And Cars Candy-O too.
Dennis you in?
Cheers

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by TN John

Wow first time I have seen Townes Van Zandt on this site.

Have you ever seen Heartworn Highways. Movie came out in 1976. Has Townes Van Zandt, Charlie Daniels Band, David Allen Coe, Guy Clark, et al. Playin, travelling, etc. on the true Redneck Highway. I love the movie, partly because it reminds me of me. Great footage of CDB setting up, speaker stacks onstage, and some playing in a small college or high school gym with probably with 500-700 in attendance. Think it also has some tennessee sippin shine about the various locations.

Mmmm love me some tennessee corn squeezins, blow ur head clean off. Yeehaw, Heehaw!

OK, back to civilized persona.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

TN, you have now conjured up a great visual of those two swapping tales on some porch in the great beyond.

Saw Mr. Crowes Garden (now know as the Black Crowes) at a a local dive bar in late 1990 early 1991. It was a power punch of blues based rocknroll. And, was a hell of a lot of fun. Saw then last in 2022 at our local amphitheater, and a bunch around the south east. So locally, they went from a venue with a capacity of 80 to one of 8,000.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

Great line-up this year. The Rolling Stones being the main headliner. Also Neil Young and Crazy Horse, Widespread Panic. Seems I may have seen Panic doing 2 shows with day-off in between. 2003 Panic did 3 sold-out shows at New Orleans Arena. Was same weekend I saw Gov't Mule filming of the deepest end, Moe & Umphrey's Mcgee, killer the Funky Meters show. All I have written about here. Also having so many more, Bela Fleck, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band.

Wish I was a younger man and I would be going. Although, after I started going to day shows, I moved over to Jazz Fest at night. These were promoted by company that then launched Bonnaroo and Outside Lands, and others

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Great article on Townes in April issue of UK magazine of Uncut.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by frankparry

I was in the lucky position to see him on Dec. 1st 1996, in Offenbach. Just a month before he died.
It was a very intense show in a small venue. You could notice that he was kind of weak.
But still a great performance of many of his wonderful songs.
I'm glad, I had the chance to see him, right in front of the stage.
A good soul, an impressive songwriter, love his music!
Cheers,
G.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by gratefulgerd

....joined the TTB in Washington D.C.
Very cool.
VGK dropping like Phil's bass lines.
Not so cool.

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

had a comment about Trower and the New Day Festival in Faversham, Kent this August but was denied.

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by PT Barnum

That movie was shot in late 75/early 76, but it wasn't released to theaters until 1981. I was just finishing my freshman year of high school. Had a few Dead shows under my belt, but was just starting to learn more about the songs. Had just gotten turned onto The Band, and was flipping out over that. Then I saw Heartworn Highways, and fell down the Americana wormhole.
Peace

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

Had a hometown show of a great new grass band from NJ that I've loved since they started playing in 2001. Hadn't seen them in maybe 15 years somehow, and they had to cancel the show back in November due to singer Todd Sheaffer having vocal issues. He was in From Good Homes that opened for the Dead in '95. So, reschedule was last night, and almost forgot and almost didn't go due to long week and day at work. My wife encouraged me, and glad I went. Fantastic show, some of my favorite tunes, and new ones. The encore is what makes this more on topic: Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo! Tim Carbone's fiddle was like seeing Vassar playing it. Big sing along. My first time seeing them play that, but 20 years ago, I was there when they debuted their beautiful rendition of Terrapin Station at the Jerry Garcia Birthday Bash in Tera Alta, WV, still the best festival I've ever experienced. I shot video of most of Half Step and uploaded it to the youtubes.

user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

They have done much in 5 or 6 albums than many other bands. For Cash the american recordings can match Townes's.
Alvaranso, don't worry everybody is out of the topic, wich is not the encore of an unknown show.
listening to my dozen of hot tuna shows, conclusion is Jorma, master on aocustic, if Jerry is on electric.
shady grove is the best.

user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

In reply to by nappyrags

51 years ago!!! Nappyrag hope you are retired, it 's time to let trees grow. Did you read Austin Powers?

The funniest thing to me, Sheik, is that all my pertinent potential posts over the past couple weeks got halted by the Hey Now gestapo. Such is life on deadnet

Let's see if a quick brief of the pertinent post gets through, since I seemed to have luck with the RRE post. 49 sound is really good, guessing BetaMax or VHS, not cassette source, fuller bass than other PA mixes. On the topic of slide, Little Red Rooster was truly horrific, perhaps the very worst I've heard. The Playing sequence was quite good, especially the jam out of China Doll (which goes back to 10/4 before they do the intro/outtro tease of Playing then jam into Drums). Jerry's voice sounded better than the Archive versions, but mercifully China Doll went to a jam after one La La La La La La round, that one round of it was rough. Overall a B release, but better than #s 35, 36, & 39, which didn't sound as good to my ears.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

....the A's artists renderings of the ball park on the corner of Tropicana and LV BLVD.
Hey now.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by PT Barnum

Nice to be reminded of a birthday instead of a deathday. The last time I saw Robin Trower - it feels really recent, but it was probably about 10 years ago, he and his band were still tremendous. "Bridge of Sighs", from 1974, is a stone cold classic.

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by daverock

Thanks for the reminder on Robin's birthday...he has always been one of my fave guitarists....I first saw him play with Procol in early '69 on the "Salty Dog" tour...when he did that killer solo on "The Devil Came from Kansas" I thought he was going to fall off of the front of the stage...that solo, the opening to "Shine On Brightly" & "Juicy John Pink" are always in my top faves...I saw him about 6 times with Procol but I missed his initial solo tours dammit! I'm going to have to do a road trip the next time he plays anywhere semi-close...The '69 gig was at a horrid venue, The Rose Palace in Pasadena...it was a large quonset hut type of a building with horrid acoustics...it was used to store and decorate the floats for The Rose Parade...an extra plus for the gig was the opener...The Carlos Santana Blues Band! And Sheik, I am "Semi-retired"...

In all my years on this site, I don’t ever recall them being mentioned. What an outstanding band. Railroad Earth as well.

The slide guitar doesn’t do it for me. Never once have I thought to myself, “Boy, could I go for a CC Rider right now.”

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

Potentially one of the most beautiful forms of musical expression. In the right hands. In the wrong hands it sounds like someone stood on the cat's tail.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by daverock

are a 'must see' for me.

Jamtastic + wonderful song-writing!

"Teachers open the door, but you must enter by yourself."

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by Oroboros

After Mr. Hanso saw RRE in Rutland at The Paramount, a friend in MA saw them next night and raved. Procol Harum was big for me back in the day, finally saw Robin play in a double header with Dave Mason at Catholic University in DC about 1972, not a typical venue for a rock show. Just wanted to add a shout out to one of the best guitar players ever, Jeff Beck, who could make that Strat sound like he was playing slide, without one. He did play slide on Truth of course, Ole Man River and Becks Bolero. Truth has Morning Dew too.

user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

Loading up the R train in this post. First, a SO to Robin Trower and Procol. Whiter Shade was one of the first bits of piano I ever taught myself.

And the Rose Palace! I haven't heard anyone mention that barn in awhile. Instantly makes me think of the Dark Star from 3/22/69...

But I was compelled to post only after seeing people mention Railroad Earth. Until the start of this month I'd never heard of this band! A younger head whose parent(s) has a connection to the group mentioned and recommended them to me. I haven't even had a chance to listen yet, and now a couple of y'all are mentioning them right here. So I gotta ask: what's a good starting point for a total stranger trying to check out Railroad Earth? Thanks in advance

Two great concerts that I saw 20 years ago at the Jerry Garcia Birthday Bash on ArchiveDotOrg August 7 and 8 2004, the first has their debut of Terrapin Station amid a set of their classics you're likely to hear any night now, the next afternoon they debuted The Wheel, and Bill Nershi from String Cheese joined for two songs. They have expanded their catalog beyond when I last caught them, as well as their sound. Anything on the Archive after 2019 will have a similar sound to now. Or so I'm finding after diving back into them. They did a stint with Phil and Friends around Christmas 2004 and a few shows a few months later. Album wise can't go wrong with Black Bear Sessions and Bird in a House, their first two, and Elko, their first live album.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

....has released his bands first record. Instagon - Ghost Hunting.
The LOB and VGuy lore goes wayyyy back.
Like, 1988 way back.
It's available on loveearthmusic.com.
Warning. They're noisy.
Good job my dude.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Caught Los Lobos the night of the anniversary of Pigpen's passing. First off, in March '73 I was six months past my first GD show, three months until 6-9-73 and 7-27 & 28-73 and March 8 is my brother's birthday, so easily remembered -- although I'd rather celebrate Pig's birth. But death always comes last (yes, open to debate!) so seems to stick in memory.

BTW, I have seen and partied to Los Lobos for nearly 30 years (only half their existence) and a few years back they came out of covid a little shaky, with Bugs the drummer leaving due to anti-Mexican rhetoric and Conrad Lorenz out after hip surgery (his son filled in). Oh they rocked, but that elevation thing ("transportation" in Mickey's words) had gone missing.

Last Friday the band came out blazing on The Midnighters' "Love Special Delivery" and never let up for two solid hours, mixing favorites with covers (they ended with Neil Young's "Cinnamon Girl"). Their original (after Louie) drummer is back, Conrad is back, the spirit is back. They sang, they were squeaky tight, they jammed loosely but effectively and Hidalgo and Rosas were concise yet imaginative.

That is all....... HF

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-49-frost-amphitheatre-stanford-university-palo-alto-ca-42785-and-42885/081227817442.html