• 1,202 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Anyone who has ever seen the Dead can testify that one of its shows will add quite a bit of color to the environment here at Stanford. Anyone who has not seen one of these spectacles should have the opportunity to do so. The Grateful Dead are an important part of the Bay Area's cultural history. Those of us who saw them last week can testify that the Dead are alive and well. The Concert Network would be hard-pressed to find an act which would bring Frost Amphitheatre to life as the Dead would. - The Stanford Daily

As you know by now, we'd certainly have voted aye on this motion, so much so, that we've loaded up DAVE'S PICKS 49 with not one, but two complete Grateful Dead shows from the Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 4/27/85 and 4/28/85. The first shows from '85 in the series, these back-to-back hometown performances couldn't be more different while delivering the same level of passion and precision, five hours of it, in fact.

In 1985, the band were celebrating "20 Years So Far," a feat that found them on these particular nights confident with invention in terms of both setlists and playing. There are old songs renewed, rare covers revived, undeniably nuanced Jerry moments, and a few surprises from Brent Mydland too. While it's impossible to select highlights, we can say with certainty that the overall clarity of these shows is unparalleled, courtesy of Dan Healy's recordings.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 49: FROST AMPHITHEATRE, STANFORD U, PALO ALTO, CA 4/27/85 & 4/28/85 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Oroborous

For a real good time!
    Hopefully we won’t have to wait another 10 YEARS for some 85 love!

Well 49 old friend, it’s been a gas but I guess it’s happy trails for awhile.
    Tanks for the memories

• 1stshow70878

Had to look that up.
    The spoken part between:
    Redemption funds,
    Stocks and bonds.
    Scruggs, the master of the three finger rolling style. Changed everything.
    Cheers

• dmcvt

I tried to post but was Hey Nowed to death. Thanks Jim for perspective, good to keep big picture when greed rears its ugly head. First show, you called it, Trischka's first set was dedicated to the Earl Jam release which will drop June 7 sparked by him being sent a thumb drive with Earl and John Hartford jams, like the Pizza tapes. Yes, audience sing along, Rainy Day Women, Lady Madonna if you can believe it in bluegrass and yes, the Beverly theme, all three verses. concert is on line search on the Mainstay in Maryland.

• uncle_tripel

...NRPS, 1970-05-15, early show F i LL m o r east
    ...Little FEAT, down on the farm
    ...Chet Atkins, The Essential Chet Atkins
    ...Van Morrison, Enlightenment
    ...Kill to get Crimson, Mark Knopfler

enjoy your day everyone, and PEACE for ALL!
    uncle_tripel

• icecrmcnkd

Those were the daze……

• 1stshow70878

We ask that all the time.
    Ashes, ashes, all fall down.
    But stuff's getting better I think.
    Cheers
    Had way more but got HNed.

• JimInMD

It did cost over a $Billion dollars to build. They are going to have to recoup that somehow. I can't figure out this one, it's probably worth it once or twice if you're sitting on such a wad of cash in your pocket that it's giving you curvature of the spine carrying it around. Especially if there are party favors involved.

I passed on D&C and Phish but have given this a lot of thought. I'm waiting for holographic Elvis opening up for the GD with holographic Jerry and holograpahic Pigpen. I wonder what they'd charge for that?

So I guess I'm with ConeKid on this one. Too much, too fast.

Edit: I would gladly pay scalper prices for the chance to see the Grateful Dead with Jerry at the Greek Theater again. I'd call that a bargain. My first GD ticket cost me $10, showed up a half hour before show time and the tickets were tenth row center purchased from the nicest couple I have perhaps ever met outside the venue without fear of scalpers or fake tickets, etc. Soon after that I happily gave the nice gentleman hanging out in the dark, under the stairwell another $4 for two small pieces of parchment about 4 minutes after we got inside. Another bargain, I wish I could thank him. What a change 42 years can make in a world. What have we become?

• icecrmcnkd

Ticketmaster Platinum is dynamic pricing.
    What a scam.

I haven’t been to a show since 2017 D&C (where I paid $99 for GA floor).
    Instead of a trip to Vegas for D&C Sphere I can use that cash for a new refrigerator and living room furniture. I’ll get way more enjoyment out of those.

• Vguy72
    Face was $160 when they first went on sale....

....so, yeah.
    I would've paid $500, but it didn't pan out. Could I afford $1200? Yes. But there has to be a line drawn in the sand at some point.

• 1stshow70878

I'll be looking for that tribute to Earl.
    Been a fan since the Beverly Hillbillies, lol.
    Tony T. in a club? Heavenly!
    Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

Anyone who has ever seen the Dead can testify that one of its shows will add quite a bit of color to the environment here at Stanford. Anyone who has not seen one of these spectacles should have the opportunity to do so. The Grateful Dead are an important part of the Bay Area's cultural history. Those of us who saw them last week can testify that the Dead are alive and well. The Concert Network would be hard-pressed to find an act which would bring Frost Amphitheatre to life as the Dead would. - The Stanford Daily

As you know by now, we'd certainly have voted aye on this motion, so much so, that we've loaded up DAVE'S PICKS 49 with not one, but two complete Grateful Dead shows from the Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 4/27/85 and 4/28/85. The first shows from '85 in the series, these back-to-back hometown performances couldn't be more different while delivering the same level of passion and precision, five hours of it, in fact.

In 1985, the band were celebrating "20 Years So Far," a feat that found them on these particular nights confident with invention in terms of both setlists and playing. There are old songs renewed, rare covers revived, undeniably nuanced Jerry moments, and a few surprises from Brent Mydland too. While it's impossible to select highlights, we can say with certainty that the overall clarity of these shows is unparalleled, courtesy of Dan Healy's recordings.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 49: FROST AMPHITHEATRE, STANFORD U, PALO ALTO, CA 4/27/85 & 4/28/85 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

I am really looking forward to Mars Hotel too! But It seems a better solution instead of boycotting would be to stop posting, just here. After that, move the party to a no hassle dead related forum. I ain't gonna little sweat the little stuff or waste time jumping thru silly hoops at my age. I'm going outside now. The birds are singing.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by daverock

They love our money, I know that.

in the immortal words of Squidward, "whaaaatever"

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Another illusion shattered ! It's ironic that a band that was anti-commercial and which stood outside the commercial dictates of "business", as far as they could and still survive, should be sold and promoted as they have been. The music will always be great - you just have to see through all the pap.

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

BTK... a lasting and profound memory for me, of all the heads with the blazing tie-dye shirts inflitrating every corner of the Alladin ... the tables, the bars, the slots, the sidewalks ... it was a crazy visual (and yes, olfactory) experience like none other...as a Vegas regular, I've never seen anything quite like it since then .....and the show featured some of my faves ... jackstraw, Althea, scarlet fire estimated eyes other one!!! .......tcc

user picture

Member for

1 year 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

I always thought this was widely considered to be not that great a show?

I always thought it should come out one day though...

user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

Just got the e-announcement from dead dot net. . . Onethebus: The guy on Hoffman was right. Looks like the first road show with the Wall of Sound has only two songs from Mars Hotel. Nice show tho (and duly ordered w/ the green FTMH LP).

I think I finally figured out the Great and Powerful Hey Now: You have to humbly present the Wicked Witch of the West's broomstick on bended knee first. Onward.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Sorry could not post two sentences. Aargh!
Cheers

user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Boycott is not necessary, sales are already hurting: last 4 DaP are still available, #49, 48 and 47 sell for as low as $25 new on Ebay.
Listen to the River box, from the classic 71 -73 period, is still available; so is the MSG box.
I'm guessing this forum is not one of their highest priorities.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Cousins Of The…

Getting 2 discs and m/o show.
Thought maybe rest of 6/26 or 6/22 maybe, or chopped up tid bits.
So maybe not a top shelf show, but another good 74, “which is nice”

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

It's got a great write up in the Taping Compendium.

Listening to "Natural Boogie" by Hound Dog Taylor and the HouseRockers as I type. Much joy.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

Proudfoot tried that a week or two ago.

He’s back…..

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

I posted it here, but it got hey nowed.

Good Grief

This house of clowns seem to be non-caring and incompetent. (probably impotent to boot)

MaryE and Captain Dave excluded, without them we would be lost at sea

Fix the HeyNow nonsense already dimnet. I'm quite confident it's hurting sales

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Truth is something you stumble into when you think you are going someplace else.
Jerry Garcia
Daily Zen calendar for 3-28-2024

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

....Marlins are 0-1. Just as I like it.
Check out those new NFL kickoff and hip tackle rules. Also talking about extending the season another week and adding another bye.
Gets worse every year.

Are nothing but greedheads!
Now their going to get you to purchase more apps just so you can watch a playoff game, AND, back in Bu faf, their now requiring a private license or some BS ontop of the exorbitant tic prices for season tix. Know a lot of long time season ticket holders that aren’t going to reup…
So for u T u b e sub plus package not including extra app games, and it’s like a grand and you have to listen to their blowhards.
NHL package is like $64 and you get every game, (81+ )either audio feed!

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Oro - I read the (Dollar) Bills were introducing a seat licensing fee, and I honestly thought they already had it. The Leafs and Craptors charge an exorbitant Personal Licensing Fee ripped right out of TicketBastard’s book, that basically lets the owner of the teams control resale of tix. Gamgsters. This, of course, bleeds over to the concert industry, too, so that we get Taylor Swift pricing.
Why do they charge this Personal Licensing Fee? Because they can. Thankfully, there is enough decent sports coverage on TV to scratch my NFL or NHL itch, but when it comes to concerts? Woeful.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by wissinomingdeadhead

....I'm all in on that good shit.
Shit apparently passes the hey now test. 👏

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Hello,

a heavy sandstorm (it’s origin is the Sahara desert)) has colored the sky today, here in Southern Germany.

It supposed to be a sunny spring day with blue skies, the weather forecast said, with temperatures up to 20 centigrade.

But instead the sky was yellow, overcast and no sun at all. Temperatures only made it up to 12 centigrade.

Happy Easter
G.

How many miles/km did that sand have to travel? If I took a shovel full of sand and tossed it as far as I could, it wouldn't fall that far from the shovel. I can only imagine the forces at work to carry that much of something as dense as sand so far. Note to self, do not breath that stuff in.

Sand castles and glass camels, unusual occurrences in Southern Germany.

Nice matching 3/29 Nassau Coliseum Avatar, VGuy.

Two back to back postings without getting rejected by the HayCow demons

user picture

Member for

6 months 2 weeks

Fantastic!! Raw electric Dead. Just part way into disc 1 and I'm enthralled. This ain't Dylan pluggin in at Newport. Plugged in band and plugged in home field crowd. You all will love it.

Salmon for dinner BTK [heart failure diet]
Ending the night with a few Coors, a tasty bowl, and DaP 25.
Peace

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

So the 4/8/72 Dark Star will be on a loop. That’s a given.

Other than that, what a joke.

Oro, you will appreciate this. Hotels in Buffalo are going for $900 a night. Normally around $200. For three minutes of darkness.

Dave, did you get that reference? Release 9/19/70.

user picture

Member for

7 months 2 weeks

abit late for yesterday

Sounds: 3/31/73 II and accompaniments
Food: pan seared sea bass, haricots verts, wild rice
Drink: arneis (white from piemonte), and always H2O
Convo: my wife

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by JoeyMC

Interesting menus from yesterday, here: pork loin teryaki, brussel sprouts with onion confit, curried short grain brown rice, "special" chateauneuf du pape to go with. Burlington gets 3 minutes of total eclipse in a week, I know folks coming from as far as Boston heading there, a city of 45K will see another 50K plus visitors... ahem, will pass on that chaos and head up to the North East Kingdom where the word is Get NEKed and dance. Let's all get foolish today.

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

In reply to by dmcvt

Definitely not trekking up to Burlington, but having a slow day at the office in Rutland, so out of totality. Should be able to go outside and peek at the magic of the cosmos. Enjoy the NE Kingdom, the one trek my wife and I made looking for moose, it was stunningly gorgeous. Looking forward to going back in summer.

Since Hank Kingsley allowed me to post that, will add, looking forward to Dave's 50, mainly since it will be a new release, and a new Betty for one of the nights. Thought I had SBDs of both, but was mistaken. The non-subscribers may hate missing the bonus this time.

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

My sister hosted Easter this year and she didn't want to do the usual ham and potato salad thing so she got tamales and enchiladas from El Molino. Friends, if you're ever in Sonoma, check it. Best mole sauce I've ever had.

Weird footnote to Easter dinner: my other sister, the really straight one who never so much as smoked a joint, was asking everybody if we've had mushrooms. Um, who, me? Why would you ask? Apparently, psychedelics are getting a lot of positive press in the mass media these days, and now she's all curious. So I told her, yeah, shrooms can really be of benefit in the right situation blah blah. You might see the light. You might laugh your ass off. Both, if you're lucky. So now she wants me to score for her. Mind you, this is a sister who used to tattle on me for smoking weed.

Weird. Life is weird.

Drove home through a massive downpour listening to the Wall of Sound edition of Road Trips. It was a good day.

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by Crow Told Me

Mr. Hanso, You may not be a country music fan (slightly here) but the Marty Stuart Band soon come to Rutland Vermont's answer to The Capitol in Port Chester, The Paramount will be entertaining. He's a total show boat no doubt, but he came up playing with Lester Flatt and Johnny Cash. I came over for Les Brers a few years ago because I had met Bruce Katz master of the B3 who was playing with them, kindly invited me to sound check and show. I will get my bluegrass ticket punched soon seeing Tony Trischka doing an Earl Scruggs tribute, rumored to have Alex Hargreaves joining on fiddle. NEK is special, no doubt. Hill Farmstead, what can I say, one of the best breweries in the world. Holy Cow, no Nay How.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

And his Fabulous Superlatives?
Wonder if Cousin Kenny is still with him.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Very aptly named band, all virtuoso(i?) musicians.
And yes, Kenny Vaughan is still with them.

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

Not a country fan. At all. Love bluegrass, but despise country. Exceptions are Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, some Waylon. But I love bluegrass, and I know how good Stuart is. I saw that on the Paramount schedule and thought about it. I like that theater, small, but decent sound. Railroad Earth was great a few weeks back. I also caught Bruce Cockburn there, and the intimacy of the place made that a really great show. Before that, found out hours before the show that my nephew through my brother in law was opening for Daughtry there, and so we got to see him, and left before Daughtry (who's from the same hometown, and now has a mansion less than a mile from where I used to live in high school and college). Will have to really think about Marty, especially if Tony Trischka is playing with him; he was one of Bela Fleck's early teachers/mentors. Let's survive the impending snowfall first. Another foot or so expected Wednesday after hitting 60 today.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

My attitude to country changed about 1983, when I heard an album called "Miami" by The Gun Club. Righteous stuff !

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by daverock

Punful... oops, Tony not playing with Marty, sorry. Will see TT down in Maryland hopefully. That's exactly it for the Marty show, excellent musicians. Neither a huge fan of the genre generally, do appreciate Brad Paisley for his PLAY recording chops, Robert Plant hit some nice notes with AK, great players like Alvin Lee, Danny Gatton, even Roy B had some country twang. Bluegrass, newgrass, Billy, oh yeah. Next live music up, acoustic, Doug Perkins and Patrick Ross in a tiny old town hall Friday night, if it don't snow too much.

Haven't heard that name in maybe 20 years. Trying to remember the band I saw him with (Smokin' Grass?), but I remember because he used to play with Mike Gordon, when Gordon did bluegrass things. A buddy from school was a Kentucky bred fiddler, and he jammed with Doug and a couple others at setbreak on Wheel Hoss and Blackberry Blossom. Thanks for that blast from the past. Guess I misunderstood on Trischka.

John Sinclair was the man whom Abbie Hoffman advocated for during The Who's Woodstock set that led to Pete Townshend hitting Hoffman in the head with his guitar. Hoffman's ill-advised speech was at like 4am, and he said, "I think this is a pile of shit, man, while John Sinclair rots in prison for 2 lousy joints" whereupon Townshend tells him to get off the stage. John Lennon then took up Sinclair's case with a song titled John Sinclair. RIP to a counterculture hero.

user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

I still love country, at least what we call country music in the 70s, bands like Poco, Buffalo Springfield, The Byrds, Flying Burritos Bros, New Riders otp sage, emilou Harris and Gram Parsons. Nearby we had Folk (Pentangle, Fairport Convention, Bod Dylan, Donovan, Incredible strings band...) wich still goes on with Gillian welch or billy Bragg;
To me the first jerry album with the new riders stays a classic. I never heard about blue grass before Jerry Douglas & Allison Krauss, Peter Rowan, and discovering Old and inthe way, then Grisman or Tony Rice.
Nowadays it seems like everything like Country music comes into what is called Americana.
Elvis Costello gave a great Tibute to country music, and George Jones with Almost Blue . Johnny Cash is more like folk for me. All american recordings serie can match a small box of the dead.
Lucinda Williams began with country folk albums, but she plays also RnRoll, and ballads.
Only Blues don't change.
Anyway whatever we feel with good music is better than words.

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by daverock

Saw Gillian a couple years ago with David Rawlings, outstanding concert. If we more broadly consider "country" as part of Americana, the tent is much larger. Vince Gill, good stuff, for example. The song that Plant and Krause covered, "Can't Let Go" is a personal hit, great lyrics, tune, put out there by Lucinda W on Car Wheels, a fine album. Doug Perkins moved up to Vermont years ago and performs locally and a little randomly, up in Burl and many other smaller venues, did gigs with Mike Gordon, adept on both acoustic and electric. He once tried to teach me "Good Bye Pork Pie Hat" but it did not take. Not your standard three cowboy chords...

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

The “June ‘76” Box just might be the most under-appreciated box in the Dead canon, IMHO. The Boston shows alone are incredible, an energized band.
I’m not the biggest Who fan, but sometimes Quadrophenia at 11 Volume is exactly what you need. I got playing it because Phish covers “Drowned” on their recent live release, and quite nicely, too!
Last 5
Who - Quadrophenia
Who - Who’s Next
Weir - Blue Mountain
Art Blakey & Jazz Messengers - Just Coolin’
Neil & Crazy Horse - Down In The Rust Bucket

Late condolences to the very funny Joe Flaherty. RIP Guy!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-49-frost-amphitheatre-stanford-university-palo-alto-ca-42785-and-42885/081227817442.html