• 1,202 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Anyone who has ever seen the Dead can testify that one of its shows will add quite a bit of color to the environment here at Stanford. Anyone who has not seen one of these spectacles should have the opportunity to do so. The Grateful Dead are an important part of the Bay Area's cultural history. Those of us who saw them last week can testify that the Dead are alive and well. The Concert Network would be hard-pressed to find an act which would bring Frost Amphitheatre to life as the Dead would. - The Stanford Daily

As you know by now, we'd certainly have voted aye on this motion, so much so, that we've loaded up DAVE'S PICKS 49 with not one, but two complete Grateful Dead shows from the Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 4/27/85 and 4/28/85. The first shows from '85 in the series, these back-to-back hometown performances couldn't be more different while delivering the same level of passion and precision, five hours of it, in fact.

In 1985, the band were celebrating "20 Years So Far," a feat that found them on these particular nights confident with invention in terms of both setlists and playing. There are old songs renewed, rare covers revived, undeniably nuanced Jerry moments, and a few surprises from Brent Mydland too. While it's impossible to select highlights, we can say with certainty that the overall clarity of these shows is unparalleled, courtesy of Dan Healy's recordings.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 49: FROST AMPHITHEATRE, STANFORD U, PALO ALTO, CA 4/27/85 & 4/28/85 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Oroborous

For a real good time!
    Hopefully we won’t have to wait another 10 YEARS for some 85 love!

Well 49 old friend, it’s been a gas but I guess it’s happy trails for awhile.
    Tanks for the memories

• 1stshow70878

Had to look that up.
    The spoken part between:
    Redemption funds,
    Stocks and bonds.
    Scruggs, the master of the three finger rolling style. Changed everything.
    Cheers

• dmcvt

I tried to post but was Hey Nowed to death. Thanks Jim for perspective, good to keep big picture when greed rears its ugly head. First show, you called it, Trischka's first set was dedicated to the Earl Jam release which will drop June 7 sparked by him being sent a thumb drive with Earl and John Hartford jams, like the Pizza tapes. Yes, audience sing along, Rainy Day Women, Lady Madonna if you can believe it in bluegrass and yes, the Beverly theme, all three verses. concert is on line search on the Mainstay in Maryland.

• uncle_tripel

...NRPS, 1970-05-15, early show F i LL m o r east
    ...Little FEAT, down on the farm
    ...Chet Atkins, The Essential Chet Atkins
    ...Van Morrison, Enlightenment
    ...Kill to get Crimson, Mark Knopfler

enjoy your day everyone, and PEACE for ALL!
    uncle_tripel

• icecrmcnkd

Those were the daze……

• 1stshow70878

We ask that all the time.
    Ashes, ashes, all fall down.
    But stuff's getting better I think.
    Cheers
    Had way more but got HNed.

• JimInMD

It did cost over a $Billion dollars to build. They are going to have to recoup that somehow. I can't figure out this one, it's probably worth it once or twice if you're sitting on such a wad of cash in your pocket that it's giving you curvature of the spine carrying it around. Especially if there are party favors involved.

I passed on D&C and Phish but have given this a lot of thought. I'm waiting for holographic Elvis opening up for the GD with holographic Jerry and holograpahic Pigpen. I wonder what they'd charge for that?

So I guess I'm with ConeKid on this one. Too much, too fast.

Edit: I would gladly pay scalper prices for the chance to see the Grateful Dead with Jerry at the Greek Theater again. I'd call that a bargain. My first GD ticket cost me $10, showed up a half hour before show time and the tickets were tenth row center purchased from the nicest couple I have perhaps ever met outside the venue without fear of scalpers or fake tickets, etc. Soon after that I happily gave the nice gentleman hanging out in the dark, under the stairwell another $4 for two small pieces of parchment about 4 minutes after we got inside. Another bargain, I wish I could thank him. What a change 42 years can make in a world. What have we become?

• icecrmcnkd

Ticketmaster Platinum is dynamic pricing.
    What a scam.

I haven’t been to a show since 2017 D&C (where I paid $99 for GA floor).
    Instead of a trip to Vegas for D&C Sphere I can use that cash for a new refrigerator and living room furniture. I’ll get way more enjoyment out of those.

• Vguy72
    Face was $160 when they first went on sale....

....so, yeah.
    I would've paid $500, but it didn't pan out. Could I afford $1200? Yes. But there has to be a line drawn in the sand at some point.

• 1stshow70878

I'll be looking for that tribute to Earl.
    Been a fan since the Beverly Hillbillies, lol.
    Tony T. in a club? Heavenly!
    Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

Anyone who has ever seen the Dead can testify that one of its shows will add quite a bit of color to the environment here at Stanford. Anyone who has not seen one of these spectacles should have the opportunity to do so. The Grateful Dead are an important part of the Bay Area's cultural history. Those of us who saw them last week can testify that the Dead are alive and well. The Concert Network would be hard-pressed to find an act which would bring Frost Amphitheatre to life as the Dead would. - The Stanford Daily

As you know by now, we'd certainly have voted aye on this motion, so much so, that we've loaded up DAVE'S PICKS 49 with not one, but two complete Grateful Dead shows from the Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 4/27/85 and 4/28/85. The first shows from '85 in the series, these back-to-back hometown performances couldn't be more different while delivering the same level of passion and precision, five hours of it, in fact.

In 1985, the band were celebrating "20 Years So Far," a feat that found them on these particular nights confident with invention in terms of both setlists and playing. There are old songs renewed, rare covers revived, undeniably nuanced Jerry moments, and a few surprises from Brent Mydland too. While it's impossible to select highlights, we can say with certainty that the overall clarity of these shows is unparalleled, courtesy of Dan Healy's recordings.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 49: FROST AMPHITHEATRE, STANFORD U, PALO ALTO, CA 4/27/85 & 4/28/85 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

is a great souvenir, and one high time in my life recovering from onkology , just in time in hospital before lockdown, and then surrounded by nurses, and my loving wife so near. Then most of the time laying outside, listening the new boxset only disturb by birds and bees in the wisteria.
this box looks like may 77, for consitency, and quality.
@DMCVT Gillian W is my fantaisy for my next life, coming home after work, and listening that nice girl playing to me acoustic guitar. If she plays Bach suites on on cello in the meantime, i won't be punished.
@Alvarhanso when I visit America on a second trip with my daughter, we stopped in Bakerfield, looking for centerville searching a good restaurant, typically french, i admit, and we eventually parked near a bar. I bought 2 cd to get some music in the car, Jerry Garcia 's Reflection and Rowan Douglas Yonder, not sure it's really bluegrass, but 5 stars album, and very cliche on the road to death Valley.

Did someone say June 11th 1976????
It's like saying Beetlejuice three times.
Amazing show from an amazing box and Vinnie the sequence of which you speak is an all-timer.
Show me a better Eyes!
Its not possible.

Of course I've always been a sucker for '76.

Be Well People!
Seventy-Sixtus

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

One box I didn't get, which I now regret.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

That was awesome that we still received them during the shutdown.

Still available as a
d o w n l o a d

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

Pristine recordings.

That's what popped for me on the first listen. Both the 76 and 78 boxes sound amazing.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

is a knockout! I was fortunate to see them play at the Orpheum theatre. Hopefully, they will release so more of those shows. I've seen video of some of those shows.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

....the top tier re packaging.
Just exactly perfect.
It's going to be a '76 themed weekend. Gonna try and catch em all ala Pokémon.
Edit. Karl Densons Tiny Universe just announced a gig here for May 10th. Any of you familiar??

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by JimInMD

All this talk made me have to find one.
Not sure how long it will take to get here from CA?
Peace

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

That 76 box is like a box of golden sunshine. Flawless recordings and shows that always make me feel like it's a sunny summer day.

Country, there's some good stuff there, same as just about every other genre. For those inclined, check out the Red Clay Strays, Sturgill Simpson or Tyler Childers for some cool modern country sounds. Gun Club album Miami does sound cool as well, but I would classify it as more of a post-punk sound with some country and blues influences.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Charlie3

The Gun Club were definitely non-reverential. Closer to the spirit of the law than the letter. "Miami" is a great record, but their first "Fire of Love" is even better. Based more on the blues than country - one of the best albums of the 80's-or any decade come to that.

user picture

Member for

1 year 9 months

In reply to by Charlie3

I don't get into that one as much as I should, but I'll always remeber how happy I was when it came. Man that was sweet.

Ya know, I think that the Road Trips Vol. 4 No. 5 is it? 6/9, I think that may be the most perfect release ever. The show, the recording, the playing...it really is something. I feel like the people who play music and don't like the Dead have never heard that one.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

It’s hard to disagree that Road Trips Vol. 4 No. 5 is one of the better Road Trips, not sure if it is one of their all time best performances, but it’s terrific, and segues nicely into the June 76 box set. Over 20 months off the road, the band comes back absolutely charged that June. I know Phil remarked that the band never got their consistency back after the 75 break, but you wouldn’t know it from these releases.
My personal favourite Road Trips was Denver, Vol 4 No 3, primarily recorded November 21, 1973. The bonus disc is a beauty, too, with a 43 minute Dark Star > a sublime Eyes. While the Dave’s Picks have had a few “meh” bonus discs, Road Trips had some gems, like this one.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

Volume 2 #2. 2/14/68 Carousel Ballroom & volume 3 #3 5/15/70. Fillmore East, both have fantastic bonus discs which you only got if you bought them early , which I did. Lots & lots of other great road trips also.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Good description for the Gun Club. The cover of Run Through the Jungle on Miami really works for me. I'll have to check out Fire of Love, because sometimes that punk or punk adjacent vibe fits the mood. You know, when you feel like a streetwalking cheetah with a heart full of napalm.

user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

I agree, this is probably my pick for top RT release!

The Road Trips had a ton of great music!

rock on, gang

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

I agree with Billy, 3.3 is one of the best.
1.4 is one of my favorites as well. The Got My Mojo Working is spectacular. Always gets me moving. All three CDs are great. If I Had the World to Give.. Were you at these shows Billy? Five nights in October 78, box them up.
Spring 78 is great and post Egypt 78 just rocks!
Would love more.

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

Was. Not so much anymore.

People who knew me in the '70s when I was totally into the Stooges, Ramones, Clash, X (but also going to Dead shows) are sometimes surprised that I now spend a lot more time listening to the GOGD. ABB, Little Feat, TTB, jazz, and bluegrass. But I just tell 'em: my heart's just not as full of napalm as it used to be. Which is probably a good thing overall.

Love the Gun Club. Fire of Love is absolutely worth getting for those random punk rock moods that still strike now and again. There's a vinyl reissue that included a nice live set, btw.

My fave Road Trip is probably the Fillmore East 1970 one. Wonderful acoustic set, the Live Dead suite, excellent New Speedway (a song they never played enough, IMO), Cosmic Charlie. Just fantastic. Don't leave home without it.

Last Five:

Flaming Lips: Soft Bulletin Companion
Joshua Redman: Wish
GOGD: Lyceum '72 (the last night, whatever date that was)
Maceo Parker: Mo Roots
ABB: 3/28/2009 with Bob and Phil!

....along with a CERN haldron collider test.
Conspiracy theorists are having a field day.
Possible portal being opened. I saw that in the Hellboy movie.
I should know.
My wife is one of them.
Yeah....
Marlins won a game today, so I guess anything is possible.

2-18-71 playing now
2-21-71 played earlier today
2-19-71 vinyl played yesterday

Yes, they’re all good. Release the rest of the run.
And a digital fileof the pictures shown during the ESP test.

It's the spirit of rock n' roll I like - doesn't matter if you are a punk, a hippie, a Deadhead or a go-go dancer in a nightclub. You can't describe it, but once you hear it you can't forget it.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

My favorite road trip: 4-5 Boston & 3-2 Austin
yes, a good day to listen Wembley 04-8, one of the few I caught in vinyle.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Since I live in the path of the eclipse, the 73 Cleveland Dark Star at 43 minutes plus beckons.

Darkness at the break of noon
Eclipses both the sun and moon

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Oro - They expected over one million people in Niagara Falls today for this - and it is cloudy as can be!! Yesterday, you couldn’t find a cloud.
As Maxwell Smart said, “Missed it by that much.”

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by That Mike

That bastard Murphy!
Bummer, but at least ya didn’t travel far or spend much ; )

Here, about 60-65 percent eclipse, clear skies

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I just went to my backyard, got a few breaks in the clouds, so I saw it, at least. Still, a good excuse for a party for those in Niagara and WNY on a Monday afternoon. Turn up that Dark Star.
Leafs vs AVs final - you heard it here first.

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

I had to post after seeing that Gun Club comment... Jeffrey Lee Pierce put out an album in 1993 called, "Lucky Jim," as the Gun Club... it is an amazing record. "Cry to Me" is unbelievable, it's like he channeled BB King. Just exceptional.

Have to throw Mark Lanegan in the stew, as well, he was a big Pierce fan and did what he could to elevate his profile while they were both still alive.

Be well everyone... except Dump voters.

\m/

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by LedDed

Thanks for the tip,I haven't heard that one. It sounds a bit different from the first three, which is the sum total of my Gun Club collection. Plus the dvd, Live at the Hacienda 1983 - 1984. One of which I actually attended. Don't ask me which one - I was even drunker than they were.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

I am thinking we should be seeing a seaside chat next week.

Hopefully Dave gives us some hints about the box.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I got H.N. 'd
Look it up.
Cheers
Edit: They rocked!
Edit 2: G e r s h w i n p r i z e
Edit 3: As Elton said, "amazing!" and "that's not easy"

user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

Today is the day I celebrate my most of the time favorite piece of GD music!!! If there is such a thing!!

Dark Star>Sugar Magnolia>Caution from 4/8/72!!!

Simply magic

rock on, gang!

user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

Just realized i'm a day late posting!! oh well

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by jonathan918@GD

50th Anniversary release announced.
This one will be 3 discs!
Can't wait for the live goodies on that one.
Peace

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Johnny Cash is a treasure, Willie Nelson is great, but Waylon Jennngs is the man. That Honky Tonk Heroes album never gets old for me.

Down the road a ways I've heard say
A new day's coming on
Where the women folks are friendly
And the law leaves you alone
I'll believe it when I see it
And I haven't seen it yet
Don't mind me just keep on talking
I'm just looking for my hat

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by carlo13

You might like to check out Russ Meyer's immortal "Faster Pussycat Kill Kill !" The first 5 minutes lay it all on the line. A great celebration of the violence in women.

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by Vguy72

Article yesterday in the Washington Post on the Phish run at Sphere, Trey scoped out the U2 audio mix; adapting their lighting, etc. After living in Vermont for decades, pleased to be attending my first show this July in MA, a week after Evolve release. Three weeks to 50, will we have it for May 3rd anniversary. And do the Mars and Hunter releases signal no box before fall?

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-49-frost-amphitheatre-stanford-university-palo-alto-ca-42785-and-42885/081227817442.html