• 467 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Dave's Picks Vol. 50: Palladium, New York City, NY 5/3/77

Reviewer: WolfmansBrother - favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - February 11, 2008 - Online Review

Subject: setting me on fire

left the orchestra section during ship of fools and arrived in the loge for the basso profundo MNS - it's the best of the tour so far, i think, and the balcony is shakin' to its raging outro leading. i sit to take a short break, too.

yet another night of the first set seeming to spill over. first half of this second set is well-played, indeed, but the sugaree is the INSANE highlight, and keith and jerry are battling it out. one of the strongest estimateds of tour and i, for one, am happy for the FOTD break. the second half belongs to jerry - eyes is short but stellar and bridges to yet another rip-your-heart-out wharf rat, and NFA showcases some down in the weeds jamming. we're stomping and clapping and grinning our faces off, and then joint is jumping for sure as they close it down. another fine UJB encore sends me out the door, so very deeply in love with this band and its music. is there anything better than being a deadhead?

Is there anything better than being a Dead Head when one of your favorite shows is officially released in its entirety? We'll double down on your sentiments WolfmansBrother, with DAVE'S PICK VOLUME 50: PALLADIUM, NEW YORK CITY, NY 5/3/77, and we'll bring the fire extinguisher to cool you off after you listen to Betty Cantor-Jackson's complete recording. Don't want the party to end? We'll stoke those embers with a few hot tracks from the first set of  5/4/77. Dave's Picks Subscribers score the monstrous second set from 5/4/77 featuring "Scarlet>Fire,"  "Terrapin," 'Playing In The Band," "Comes A Time," and more. Woowee!

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. 

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Forensicdoceleven

JOEYMC check your pm's....................

My personal hobbies are reading, listening to music, and silence.

Rock on,

Doc
    Music comes from an icicle as it melts, to live again as spring water.....

• JoeyMC

Thank you Vguy, yeah cd for me or sometimes digital, no vinyl; I need that like a hole in the head. Man, these reissues are expensive, either way I'm looking for one. There are a few Dicks I never got, mostly the compilation types...

• topchinacat

... and at all three of the Greek 83 shows ... some of the best times ever. As I sit here today, I STILL recall the Friday Let It Grow ... I was only a year into the Dead and this particular live rendition was just so over the top ... it kept building and building. IMO, it holds up after all these years .... tcc

• Vguy72

....because it's the truth.
    Night, night. 🌙

• proudfoot
    I put a printout of the you'll never regret being kind sentiment

Outside my classroom door, Vguy

Gracias

• proudfoot

I had was working with old folks with Alzheimers and other dementia types

Nasty thing, Alzheimers

• Vguy72

....my step-dad got alzheimers. Married mom when I was five. My real dad was Danish and died in a car accident when I was one. However, good memory danehead. Impressive.
    🍻
    It's all good y'all.

• proudfoot

Great run

• billy the kiddd

41 years ago I was at the Greek Theatre for another fun night with the Grateful Dead

• Danehead
    Default Avatar

Vguy.. sorry to hear about your dad.. think you said he was from Denmark.. my dad died from Alzheimers 8 years ago - maybe it is in the genes here in the North E.U. ? BW to you and familie.. Danehead..

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

Dave's Picks Vol. 50: Palladium, New York City, NY 5/3/77

Reviewer: WolfmansBrother - favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - February 11, 2008 - Online Review

Subject: setting me on fire

left the orchestra section during ship of fools and arrived in the loge for the basso profundo MNS - it's the best of the tour so far, i think, and the balcony is shakin' to its raging outro leading. i sit to take a short break, too.

yet another night of the first set seeming to spill over. first half of this second set is well-played, indeed, but the sugaree is the INSANE highlight, and keith and jerry are battling it out. one of the strongest estimateds of tour and i, for one, am happy for the FOTD break. the second half belongs to jerry - eyes is short but stellar and bridges to yet another rip-your-heart-out wharf rat, and NFA showcases some down in the weeds jamming. we're stomping and clapping and grinning our faces off, and then joint is jumping for sure as they close it down. another fine UJB encore sends me out the door, so very deeply in love with this band and its music. is there anything better than being a deadhead?

Is there anything better than being a Dead Head when one of your favorite shows is officially released in its entirety? We'll double down on your sentiments WolfmansBrother, with DAVE'S PICK VOLUME 50: PALLADIUM, NEW YORK CITY, NY 5/3/77, and we'll bring the fire extinguisher to cool you off after you listen to Betty Cantor-Jackson's complete recording. Don't want the party to end? We'll stoke those embers with a few hot tracks from the first set of  5/4/77. Dave's Picks Subscribers score the monstrous second set from 5/4/77 featuring "Scarlet>Fire,"  "Terrapin," 'Playing In The Band," "Comes A Time," and more. Woowee!

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. 

user picture

Member for

1 year 3 months

Some folks are grumpy no matter what (dot, etc.)

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by BedHead77

88401.miller Playing now.
Yes, I’ll take it as a cleaned up official release.

DaP50 shipping notice received.
Tracking shows that the shipper doesn’t know what I’m talking about.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by adedhed68

....I'm a huge tee shirt fan. I would think most of us are. Just got one from that company.
Top shelf quality. I'm looking at you dead dot net.
Don't you dare hey now my ....'s.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Got my shipping notice AND the GarciaLive notice today--good day.

When this was announced, I pulled out the TATTS and Download Series releases from this tour. I haven't listened to many of the Spring '77 releases, so have been planning a serious go-though where I listen to the shows in order, one each month or so. The announcement of this release made me realize that it was time to do the go-through.

The shows from 4/25/77 and 4/30/77 are top-notch, so now I can absorb this release, then mosey through the entire Spring '77!

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

I got a shipping notice this time. UPS says, “Wha?” USPS says, “We’re waiting…”

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

Passed yesterday, had a great write up about him but got hay nowed and I said f it
Fix this shat g damn it.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by PT Barnum

Yes, they seem to be out in force today.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Who can we petition?
Or will we be ignored because we are just a few hundred regular posters and they cannot be bothered to care?
Cheers

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Long Distance Love: A Sweet Relief Tribute To Lowell George
1 Trouble - Mike Viola
2 Cold, Cold, Cold - Joachim Cooder
3 Long Distance Love - Elvis Costello
4 Heartache - Bedouine
5 Ive Been the One - Bhi Bhiman
6 Rock N Roll Doctor - Miles Tackett
7 Be One Now - Lady Blackbird
8 . Love Needs a Heart - Madison Cunningham
9 Easy to Slip - Jonah Tolchin
10 Dixie Chicken - Eleni Mandell and Milo Jones
11 Roll Um Easy - Ben Harper
12 Lafayette Railroad - Larry Goldings
13 6 Feet of Snow - Jack Shit
14 Cheek to Cheek - Gaby Moreno I Two Trains Running - Chris Seefried
15 China White - Chris Stills
16 A Apolitical Blues - Dave Alvin
17 Feats Dont Fail Me Now - Sugaray Rayford
18 Sailin Shoes - Taylor Goldsmith
19 Spanish Moon - Inara George
20 . Rocket in My Pocket - Sam Morrow
21 Willin - Jonathan Wilson
22 Teenage Nervous Breakdown - the Bird and the Bee
23 Crazy Captain Gunboat Willie - Andras Jones
24 . 20 Million Things to Do - Gus Seyffert
Peace

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

because they don't care a scrap

vote with your wallet as that's all you can do

I haven't ordered Mars Hotel because of it

that won't bring them to their knees

and I keep posting

but no more money from me

Hey Chowed several times.

On the way.

Hope you all get yours soon.

Now, which Dave's Picks will sell out first? 46-50 still available.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

...received. It'll arrive when it arrives. I've learned over the years not to fret over delivery dates. 5/1 and 5/5 were my first two shows, so this is a perfect sandwich. Warming up with San Berdino 2/26 and Capitol Passaic 4/27.
The Lowell George tribute has been ordered.
Off to see Willie Nelson and Family with Asleep at the Wheel tonight.
This is the first of many geezer shows this season. More later.

I've never understood what people mean when they put up a blank post with a little dot in the middle of it. Adedhed's was the most recent. I get the impression the poster isn't happy about something - but what it actually means I have no idea.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by TN John

How could you even post that list.

Looks sweet!

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

came 20 minutes after I posted on 4/23.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

Vguy - love the sentiment "You will never regret being kind."

Best way to live life!

That too me is the test or the acid test...are you kind? Great Hunter Thought.

Cheers-that explains it. I used to see things like that floating in the air once upon a time. I never knew what that was all about either.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

....yeah boi!
The . in subject then a . in comment usually means the poster retracted the statement they posted originally. Rethinking the comment? Double post? Oopsie? I think I might come across as an asshole?
I'm guilty of all four.

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

Shipping

notice

received.

Dot

is

all.

For now.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Crow Told Me

They're everywhere once you start thinking about them. They'll be teaching them in schools next.

user picture

Member for

1 year 9 months

In reply to by daverock

Some time last year I got one on time, I guess I had my fill for a while. I really hope somebody gets one today.

Been pondering getting a customized license plate, various ideas (has to be maximum of seven letters):

1) MICRODT

2) DROPOUT

3) MKULTRA

4 TUNE-IN or TURN-ON

With 2 vehicles it might be good to use maybe tune-in and turn-on, or turn-on and dropout dot dot dot

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

rock and roll hall of fame

one of the biggest jokes ever

mary j blige
cher

but Motorhead question mark

no

can you say travesty qm

If I had my way I would tear that old building down

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

This is so frustrating Getting Hey Nowed for?????????

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by Chuck

my sense is that it has to do with all caps and punctuation

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years 5 months

A spring '77 that hasn't sold out yet? Time to remaster all Dicks Picks with Plangent process, remix, remaster and reissue .

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

I never could figure out why the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame needed to exist. It's nice when, once in a while, a talented band or artist that's generally overlooked by the masses is inducted. Like say when the Stooges got in. But most of the time it's just "honoring" somebody who's already well known and already very rich already had plenty of honors.

It's certainly not about excellence, or influence. Gram Parsons isn't in there. Neither is King Crimson. Each has contributed recordings that are indisputable classics and launched entire genres of music.

And these days it's not even about rock and roll. Nothing against country or hip hop, but artists that excel in those genres don't belong in a rock hall of fame.

I wouldn't worry too much about DaP sales. If these were still limited edition runs of 12,000, they'd still sell out instantly. And reappear on the Bay for five times the list price. Fine with me if they take a year to sell out now.

But I do like the idea of revisiting some of the DiPs. I think it goes without saying the sound could be significantly improved over what was possible 25 years ago. Come on Powers That Be, make it happen!

Dot is all.

Always a good discussion, as of now (& subject to change)

1) GOGD
2) ABB
3) Yes
4) Rush
5) Pink Floyd
6) the Beatles
7) Phish
8) WsP
9) Little Feat
10) Genesis

Now listening pleasure is a different thing. Listen to 95% GOGD, or Jerry, sometimes Kingfish. Second would be ABB, third Phish, 4th Little Feat, fifth WsP.

That causes unnecessary brain fatigue. But, time to start the jams!

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

saw a car with a rush sticker and a second one that read 2112 in the font like 26 dot 2 for marathon runners

I thought about the Rushies here

One more re Rock Hall

John Lydon called it a piss stain

indeed

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Wonder too, why Gram Parsons is not inducted, a pioneer.
But Madonna made it.
How is Rock 'N' Roll defined?
G.

Listen to GD 99% of the time.
Then Jerry.
Then a variety including Hendrix, Rush, Floyd, Feat, ABB, Who, Zep, Stones, etc.
A favorite that is underrated is Hard Working Americans.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

I live 18 mins. from the RRHOF, and most here in CLE consider it a joke. I’ve been exactly once, when the special Grateful Dead exhibit was running. It was cool to see Dick’s reel to reel machine. It was years before the inductions were actually held in Cleveland. And the NY a-holes thought it was better to induct the home-town favorite NY bands like The Stooges and The Ramones before Rush and Motörhead. As Alex Lifeson said during his induction speech, “Blahblahblahblah…”. Silliness…

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-50-palladium-new-york-city-ny-5377/081227817466.html