• 468 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Dave's Picks Vol. 50: Palladium, New York City, NY 5/3/77

Reviewer: WolfmansBrother - favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - February 11, 2008 - Online Review

Subject: setting me on fire

left the orchestra section during ship of fools and arrived in the loge for the basso profundo MNS - it's the best of the tour so far, i think, and the balcony is shakin' to its raging outro leading. i sit to take a short break, too.

yet another night of the first set seeming to spill over. first half of this second set is well-played, indeed, but the sugaree is the INSANE highlight, and keith and jerry are battling it out. one of the strongest estimateds of tour and i, for one, am happy for the FOTD break. the second half belongs to jerry - eyes is short but stellar and bridges to yet another rip-your-heart-out wharf rat, and NFA showcases some down in the weeds jamming. we're stomping and clapping and grinning our faces off, and then joint is jumping for sure as they close it down. another fine UJB encore sends me out the door, so very deeply in love with this band and its music. is there anything better than being a deadhead?

Is there anything better than being a Dead Head when one of your favorite shows is officially released in its entirety? We'll double down on your sentiments WolfmansBrother, with DAVE'S PICK VOLUME 50: PALLADIUM, NEW YORK CITY, NY 5/3/77, and we'll bring the fire extinguisher to cool you off after you listen to Betty Cantor-Jackson's complete recording. Don't want the party to end? We'll stoke those embers with a few hot tracks from the first set of  5/4/77. Dave's Picks Subscribers score the monstrous second set from 5/4/77 featuring "Scarlet>Fire,"  "Terrapin," 'Playing In The Band," "Comes A Time," and more. Woowee!

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. 

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • hendrixfreak
    At least buffalo chips are, by def, dry...

Problem is, Vguy, I'm already a CD slut, a concert slut, and a just plain slut.

That's the upside....

Cheers, HF in Slutland (should be a board game...)

P.S. Anyone here heading to Joe Russo's Almost Dead at the Rocks, June 1?

P.P.S. My dad went out two years ago with dementia. Anyone suffering from it or being a caregiver has my complete support and best wishes. Truly.

• Forensicdoceleven

JOEYMC check your pm's....................

My personal hobbies are reading, listening to music, and silence.

Rock on,

Doc
    Music comes from an icicle as it melts, to live again as spring water.....

• JoeyMC

Thank you Vguy, yeah cd for me or sometimes digital, no vinyl; I need that like a hole in the head. Man, these reissues are expensive, either way I'm looking for one. There are a few Dicks I never got, mostly the compilation types...

• topchinacat

... and at all three of the Greek 83 shows ... some of the best times ever. As I sit here today, I STILL recall the Friday Let It Grow ... I was only a year into the Dead and this particular live rendition was just so over the top ... it kept building and building. IMO, it holds up after all these years .... tcc

• Vguy72

....because it's the truth.
    Night, night. 🌙

• proudfoot
    I put a printout of the you'll never regret being kind sentiment

Outside my classroom door, Vguy

Gracias

• proudfoot

I had was working with old folks with Alzheimers and other dementia types

Nasty thing, Alzheimers

• Vguy72

....my step-dad got alzheimers. Married mom when I was five. My real dad was Danish and died in a car accident when I was one. However, good memory danehead. Impressive.
    🍻
    It's all good y'all.

• proudfoot

Great run

• billy the kiddd

41 years ago I was at the Greek Theatre for another fun night with the Grateful Dead

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

Dave's Picks Vol. 50: Palladium, New York City, NY 5/3/77

Reviewer: WolfmansBrother - favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - February 11, 2008 - Online Review

Subject: setting me on fire

left the orchestra section during ship of fools and arrived in the loge for the basso profundo MNS - it's the best of the tour so far, i think, and the balcony is shakin' to its raging outro leading. i sit to take a short break, too.

yet another night of the first set seeming to spill over. first half of this second set is well-played, indeed, but the sugaree is the INSANE highlight, and keith and jerry are battling it out. one of the strongest estimateds of tour and i, for one, am happy for the FOTD break. the second half belongs to jerry - eyes is short but stellar and bridges to yet another rip-your-heart-out wharf rat, and NFA showcases some down in the weeds jamming. we're stomping and clapping and grinning our faces off, and then joint is jumping for sure as they close it down. another fine UJB encore sends me out the door, so very deeply in love with this band and its music. is there anything better than being a deadhead?

Is there anything better than being a Dead Head when one of your favorite shows is officially released in its entirety? We'll double down on your sentiments WolfmansBrother, with DAVE'S PICK VOLUME 50: PALLADIUM, NEW YORK CITY, NY 5/3/77, and we'll bring the fire extinguisher to cool you off after you listen to Betty Cantor-Jackson's complete recording. Don't want the party to end? We'll stoke those embers with a few hot tracks from the first set of  5/4/77. Dave's Picks Subscribers score the monstrous second set from 5/4/77 featuring "Scarlet>Fire,"  "Terrapin," 'Playing In The Band," "Comes A Time," and more. Woowee!

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. 

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Andy W I l l i a m s

50 made it to to Denver day and a half via U P S now we w a i t on pins and needles to see if U S P s loses it, drops it on the floor, or just get around to it for a couple weeks as they purposely it seems do not scan it until ? W h e n e v e r if ever, which by the time a customer finds out, is too late.
Yeah, great service folks! Why would you turn down additional revenue via alternative shipping choices? F@#$ the USPS contract!

user picture

Member for

8 years

…I hope all is well with all our brothers and sisters here on the dead forum! Been enjoying this May 77’ Show for a couple days now! LOVE’N number 522 /25000 and the Bonus Disc Art! The Bonus Disc Cover Art is Sweet! The artwork is in the style of “New York City”graffiti”(spray paint ) and most importantly as always the audio quality is Primo! I’m truly grateful for all the hard work getting everything just right!!! My tubes love it ;audio system. Sounds beautiful recording and the Dead are on Fire! I mean they are so tight in their playing! Everyone Shines On Thru with this performance! The dead members all playing together in pure expression of joy! Good Ol Grateful Dead always played wonderfully on their east coast tour’s & performances/concerts! Everyone is really focused on music coming together it’s really a joy ride! “Jack straw” is over the top! An excellent version of this much loved song!
As David points out the second set is where it’s at! Overall a 5 star release in my opinion.
I don’t want to spoil any surprises yet but there is something very special about this performance! I’m truly grateful to be able to add this musical magic to my collection! Disk 3 is what dreams are made of! Bravo! Praying everyone receives their orders soon with no problems.
Terrapin station on the bonus disc is super primo, an amazing arrangement by the band!
Wishing everyone a grateful day & peace be with you all! Long love the Good Ol Grateful Dead, Rock on! 🙏❤️💀🌹

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by nappyrags

And you got yours

And if not yet

May you get yours Monday

:)))

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

first thing i noticed is a little gold leaf bling added to the circle around the dave's picks title. nice! im typing all lower case to try the heynow theory that upper case gets the hn.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

39 years ago I was up at the Frost Amphitheatre for the start of a great weekend with the Good old Grateful Dead. The Dead played great. The Frost is only about 10 miles from my house, so very easy to get there.. Fun times.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Bonus disc cover art

I see graffiti all over Seattle

I want to break every taggers fingers

And here is a doofus Deadhead spraypainting

I'll fix you good you little good for nothing punk

user picture

Member for

3 years 3 months

12757 ~of~ 25K has arrived in Tigard, "just a bit outside" of PdXs.
Funny thing, the mail notice said it wasn't coming till Monday. So Another positive surprise.
A thought on the bonus disc cover; Though it's not as awesome as the 2021 or 2023 bonus disc covers, it's as least as good as 2022. As for the 'Tagger' on the cover......Look, I know some folks are sick of graffiti and much of the modern artwork {too many wannabes and amateurs} is questionable at best. One has to transcend themselves to a late 1970's NY city where the urban blight and steel grey was all enveloping across the city. That's till the New York City youth decorated the drab with graffiti art of a higher standard and quality. So to me the tagger makes sense. Oh yeah, they got the classic 'I Love NY' done with a bolt too! Too cool, too cool!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by RyXs

....there are graffiti "artists". Then there are graffiti ARTISTS!
Just sayin'.
50 will be here Monday. Relistened to 43 last night and finished it this morning 🌄.
It's Knight Time. Turning on the telly.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years

Gary Farseer, A HUGE Thank You for sharing the quote, You will never regret being kind. Not sure who to attribute that to, but I think I will live with that one for the rest of my life. Lots of positivity to that! If anyone knows more of where that originally came from, I would appreciate learning.

Hope everyone has a happy, beautiful and peaceful day.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years

Regarding Trower, Some of you recently posted earlier, if you are not aware already, Bridge of Sighs 50th Anniversary, 3 cd's and 1 dvd. If you familiar with the tracks, you know many tracks fade, the new version contains longer versions that would not fit on the lp. Cool stuff!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years

Regarding Trower, Some of you recently posted earlier, if you are not aware already, Bridge of Sighs 50th Anniversary, 3 cd's and 1 dvd. If you familiar with the tracks, you know many tracks fade, the new version contains longer versions that would not fit on the lp. Cool stuff!

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

WTF?

I try my best every year to support CANADALAND.

This is just nonsense. You know that.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

....new song.
Life As A Tree.
Nice comeback by the Knights being outshot 3X to tie it.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by Vguy72

I know you’re up at this hour. As should be all hockey fans.

Your VGKs look awesome. Big, fast and skilled. Nice trade moves at the end of the season.

Mike, just to remind you. The leafs suck again. Again.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Pancho Pantera

Pancho-thanks for the tip-that looks like a good 'un. Also whoever recommended The Gun Club's "Fire of Love" 2cd set ( Crow?) knew what they were talking about.
I haven't got Dave'50 - but just to show I'm not completely out of the loop, I did play 5/7/77 yesterday - a great show, especially from Mississippi Half Step onwards.

user picture

Member for

13 years 3 months

Definitely a great NYC run! I attended the Saturday night performance at the Palladium on 4/30/77 - released as Download Series Volume #1... Can't go wrong with any '77 Spring show for release. Just get it over with and release the whole tour... I'll never forget Jerry's interview in Rolling Stone at the time... Jerry said 'the band was horny to play'. Boy, was that an understatement.

....lmao.
I fell asleep in my chair during overtime. Woke up at 1 AM and they were replaying the game. I thought for a couple of seconds, "damn. Five overtimes?"

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by JimInMD

8 13 87

Powerful show

Any recommendations for GD 87 88 89?

....to Go To Heaven.
Cranking Antwerps Placebo.
You should too.
1989 recommendations? Cal Expo.
Playin' -> Fire.
1988 recommendations? Monterey. Complete Playin'. Although I misses the Friday show.
The lot was abuzz when we pulled in Saturday afternoon.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

6-22-91

user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Fantastic player and singer with his own, very unique style!
He started in the early 50s, wrote some classic tunes(New Camptown Races, Leave Well Enough Alone, etc.), also composed some neo-classical pieces where he used different tunings. His recordings with Red Allen(some produced by David Grisman) are outstanding, so was his tenure with the Greenbriar Boys.
He was a member of the Good Old Boy, which Garcia produced in 1975.
Got to see him in various San Francisco venues in the 70s, at the Other Cafe, and a great birthday celebration at the Great American Music-Hall hosted by David Grisman. Will miss him.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

39 years ago today I was at another great show at the Frost Ampitheatre. Between the Frost, Geek and Ventura, I saw saw some great shows in 1985. Fun times.

user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

I have not been able to get a post through Hey Now for a couple months. Trying again. Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, I visited the museum and enjoyed it immensely years ago. Such a great collection on display. Jerry's guitars were in the lobby so anyone can see them without paying. Inside they had plenty of good GD stuff on display (I remember seeing Pigpen's hat and harmonica), but amazing artifacts from every major player in rock history.

Now, the induction into the HoF is ridiculous. I gave up on caring about that decades ago when it became a general music HoF rather than a rock and roll HoF. Just my 2 cents.

Looking forward to 50, hoping to receive it today. The bonus disc, again.... looks positively amazing.

user picture

Member for

1 year 9 months

In reply to by estimated-eyes

I get really bummed when I think it's coming, and then it dosen't :(
I'm listening to Dave's Picks 9 for now.

It seems the Jerry people have put an end to Amazon pre-orders of the Garcia Live cds. I always felt a little scummy doing it, but it saves five dollars on a seventeen dollar set.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

The playing comes at you in waves. More than any other tour as a band. Sitting in my living room this weekend was akin to sitting on a fifty mile long Pacific beach awash with waves of endless size and intensity. David Crosby compared the band to a pack of wolves running through the forest. Agreed. But not necessarily for May 77.

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

I remember thinking that at the time. But like most GD albums, it's better than most people think. Then again, like all GD (studio) albums, it's not as good the live versions. And I never liked that cover, so ... whatever.

My copy of 50 is supposed to come tomorrow. Which is good timing. Wife's out of town, I don't gotta work, so I can pull that thing out of shrink wrap, roast a bowl, and listen to it straight through, probably. Life is good, my friends.

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by bluecrow

...cause that's where 50 landed today.
#17667 with bonus disc found it's forever home.
My Bertha pipe is loaded and ready.
Time to roast her and get this thing started!
Peace

Dave's Picks Volume 50, with bonus disc landed in my mailbox today.
2087/25000 I love the artwork, especially in the bonus disc, and the little bit of gold foil on the Dave's Picks logo.
I ain't gonna dance on my street, but I'll swirl in my apartment campus parking lot!
Thanks, Dave & the Rhino crew!

user picture

Member for

3 years 3 months

I just realized the graffiti guy on the bonus disc is also on the #50 cover. Down in the left bottom corner of the album art in the alleyway by the corner of the brick building. The cat too!

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Oh lord, I’m stuck in Rossford again.
Friggin USPS Mail Innovations. Gets to Rossford, OH and it sits in a truck until it’s full, then it heads to Cleveland. Been there since Saturday. Hope I get it by Friday.

user picture

Member for

2 years 9 months

All ripped in and rolling!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by jjc

....required 50% down.
7K.
Housekeepers unite!
Always tip when I travel.
The cover gives me The Fifth Element vibes, which is cool.
Nice Playin' into Comes A Time.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

That TMNS to end the first set is outrageous! Top tier. Settling for the listening party while it sails past me to go to Denver. Thursday if I'm lucky.
Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 5 months

I was watching "Glory Stompers", a pre-Easy Rider movie with Dennis Hopper made in 1967. Jody McCrea, son of actor Joel McCrea, was also in this outlaw biker movie. I started reading about Jody's movie history and he was in a bunch of Frankie/Annette beach movies. His character was Deadhead, but I never heard any of the bands' music in these movies. Maybe his character never went to the Matrix or Family Dog, or possibly they cut those scenes out during editing. Does anyone remember the GOGD ever appearing in Beach Blanket Bingo? I thought I heard Rosemary during one of the surfing scenes.

user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

#322 arrived safe and sound - haven't got a number this low since DaP38. Will rip it tonight. Looks like there's at least 22145 that subscribe...

user picture

Member for

4 years 7 months

I guess this means no official release for 5/4/74...

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

Frost, Greek, Ventura and everything in-between ... some great fun in the 80's! .........tcc

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by topchinacat

....like 400 thread count Egyptian bedsheets.
If you know, you know.
Edit.
You bozos heard of Grateful Fred? Some cool ass shit on that site.
You want bolts in ice cube form?
I did/do.
Back to hockey talk? OK. I've noticed cool new camera angles this postseason.
I'm especially fond of the 3D'ish face off one.
Edit. That 3rd Stars goal was puck luck defined lol. Game in the background. The Palladium in the foreground. As it should be.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-50-palladium-new-york-city-ny-5377/081227817466.html