• 467 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Dave's Picks Vol. 50: Palladium, New York City, NY 5/3/77

Reviewer: WolfmansBrother - favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - February 11, 2008 - Online Review

Subject: setting me on fire

left the orchestra section during ship of fools and arrived in the loge for the basso profundo MNS - it's the best of the tour so far, i think, and the balcony is shakin' to its raging outro leading. i sit to take a short break, too.

yet another night of the first set seeming to spill over. first half of this second set is well-played, indeed, but the sugaree is the INSANE highlight, and keith and jerry are battling it out. one of the strongest estimateds of tour and i, for one, am happy for the FOTD break. the second half belongs to jerry - eyes is short but stellar and bridges to yet another rip-your-heart-out wharf rat, and NFA showcases some down in the weeds jamming. we're stomping and clapping and grinning our faces off, and then joint is jumping for sure as they close it down. another fine UJB encore sends me out the door, so very deeply in love with this band and its music. is there anything better than being a deadhead?

Is there anything better than being a Dead Head when one of your favorite shows is officially released in its entirety? We'll double down on your sentiments WolfmansBrother, with DAVE'S PICK VOLUME 50: PALLADIUM, NEW YORK CITY, NY 5/3/77, and we'll bring the fire extinguisher to cool you off after you listen to Betty Cantor-Jackson's complete recording. Don't want the party to end? We'll stoke those embers with a few hot tracks from the first set of  5/4/77. Dave's Picks Subscribers score the monstrous second set from 5/4/77 featuring "Scarlet>Fire,"  "Terrapin," 'Playing In The Band," "Comes A Time," and more. Woowee!

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. 

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Forensicdoceleven

JOEYMC check your pm's....................

My personal hobbies are reading, listening to music, and silence.

Rock on,

Doc
    Music comes from an icicle as it melts, to live again as spring water.....

• JoeyMC

Thank you Vguy, yeah cd for me or sometimes digital, no vinyl; I need that like a hole in the head. Man, these reissues are expensive, either way I'm looking for one. There are a few Dicks I never got, mostly the compilation types...

• topchinacat

... and at all three of the Greek 83 shows ... some of the best times ever. As I sit here today, I STILL recall the Friday Let It Grow ... I was only a year into the Dead and this particular live rendition was just so over the top ... it kept building and building. IMO, it holds up after all these years .... tcc

• Vguy72

....because it's the truth.
    Night, night. 🌙

• proudfoot
    I put a printout of the you'll never regret being kind sentiment

Outside my classroom door, Vguy

Gracias

• proudfoot

I had was working with old folks with Alzheimers and other dementia types

Nasty thing, Alzheimers

• Vguy72

....my step-dad got alzheimers. Married mom when I was five. My real dad was Danish and died in a car accident when I was one. However, good memory danehead. Impressive.
    🍻
    It's all good y'all.

• proudfoot

Great run

• billy the kiddd

41 years ago I was at the Greek Theatre for another fun night with the Grateful Dead

• Danehead
    Default Avatar

Vguy.. sorry to hear about your dad.. think you said he was from Denmark.. my dad died from Alzheimers 8 years ago - maybe it is in the genes here in the North E.U. ? BW to you and familie.. Danehead..

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

Dave's Picks Vol. 50: Palladium, New York City, NY 5/3/77

Reviewer: WolfmansBrother - favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - February 11, 2008 - Online Review

Subject: setting me on fire

left the orchestra section during ship of fools and arrived in the loge for the basso profundo MNS - it's the best of the tour so far, i think, and the balcony is shakin' to its raging outro leading. i sit to take a short break, too.

yet another night of the first set seeming to spill over. first half of this second set is well-played, indeed, but the sugaree is the INSANE highlight, and keith and jerry are battling it out. one of the strongest estimateds of tour and i, for one, am happy for the FOTD break. the second half belongs to jerry - eyes is short but stellar and bridges to yet another rip-your-heart-out wharf rat, and NFA showcases some down in the weeds jamming. we're stomping and clapping and grinning our faces off, and then joint is jumping for sure as they close it down. another fine UJB encore sends me out the door, so very deeply in love with this band and its music. is there anything better than being a deadhead?

Is there anything better than being a Dead Head when one of your favorite shows is officially released in its entirety? We'll double down on your sentiments WolfmansBrother, with DAVE'S PICK VOLUME 50: PALLADIUM, NEW YORK CITY, NY 5/3/77, and we'll bring the fire extinguisher to cool you off after you listen to Betty Cantor-Jackson's complete recording. Don't want the party to end? We'll stoke those embers with a few hot tracks from the first set of  5/4/77. Dave's Picks Subscribers score the monstrous second set from 5/4/77 featuring "Scarlet>Fire,"  "Terrapin," 'Playing In The Band," "Comes A Time," and more. Woowee!

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. 

user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

While other's were bitching about this selection for the golden anniversary, I was sticking up for the show based solely on the unique setlist and fact the 2nd set hadn't circulated previously in SBD form. But after an afternoon listen, it's just an extremely well played show. First set gets a little sloppy and disjointed at times, but it's a lot of fun and long. But the 2nd set is really, really special! No Other One, St. Stephen, Scarlet -> Fire...but no lack of highlights anyway. Eyes, FOTD, Sugaree, Wharf Rat and NFA are all soooo electric and perfect! Uncle John's was a bit underwhelming as an encore, but probably because I was so enamored with what came before.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

So, my friends, did it match the big build-up? LMAO............

Any show with painfully long versions of snoozers like Fenario (ouch!), No Jimmy (ugh!) and Sugaree (double ouch!) cannot be considered a classic show, or even top tier. A very average, overrated, overhyped, fair-to-middling (that's for you, Dennis!) show. There's so much way better stuff that could have been 50, but we get this dreck.............

With all due respect, I refuse to drink the Kool-Aid on this one. And I'm guessing I'm not the only one who feels that way....

All just one man's opinions. I shall now dutifully crawl back under my rock, where I will crank Europe 72 to 11, smile, and shake my head.............

Rock on,

Doc
Bad experience is a school that only fools keep going to.........

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 3 months

Delivered by postie this morning. Really looking forward to this on repeat - unlike 49 which got 3/4 painful listen. Couldn't manage 4th disc. I subscribe so happy to take the rough with the smooth. The bonus has one of my favourite versions of one of my favourite songs....Comes A Time....indeed

user picture

Member for

7 months 1 week

...the sunrise look so pretty
never such a sight
like rollin' into New York City with the skyline in the morning light...

yes, completed BONUS this morning 1977-05-04, imported to phone, listen thru Bose QC35II headphones; and 1/2 step, dancin', CAT>pitb are all upper-tier

my fav bonus since 2020 release of jai-alai [1974-06-22]

...semi-smokin' mama, you got to give me some
I heard you got the biggest, (ooh) the biggest truck in town

It's TIME for Peace Y'ALL!
uncle_tripel

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by docmarty

Doc_Marty - you got yours before mine arrived here in the US, which is awesome compared to some efforts in the prior years. Hoping there were no excess taxes, tariffs, etc.

To the other good doctor, you did give me my morning chuckle. I think it was like ten years ago I posted somewhere here that 1977 reminds me of my supermodel ex-girlfriend. After a while, after that new car scent has worn off, she's just like all the others. I do like 1977 but I don't listen to this year as often as I used to (which was a lot in the early days). Sometimes you just gotta poke around. I don't have mine yet but I am familiar with this show and I do like some of those songs mentioned. I think zachfun, who used to post here, sent the full soundboard years ago which was the first time I heard a soundboard of the second set. I was happy to get it back then.

Did they hype up this release or something? I do miss the log rolling, sasquatch hunting Lemieux seaside chats where his hype was spoofed only by the comic relief of the dead head, master salesman superhero ethos as. Marvel should turn him into a superhero and make a movie. I bet they'd sell their 25k copies pretty quickly if they did.

Hoping mine comes today so I can give it another listen.

user picture

Member for

2 years 9 months

People find something wrong with everything. No Jimmy? Thanks for reminding me the one thing that makes me hate conversing with know it all deadheads. Just annoying.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey rockers!!

Nope, not a know-it-all. Many folks here know way more about the Dead than I do, especially when it comes to later years, my knowledge of such things has diminished as my deadmusicalfocus has narrowed.

That being said, I DO know what I like and I definitely know what I don't like about the Dead's music. Over the course of 22 years worth of shows my friends and I saw a lot of NJ and it was always a buzzkill for us. That was our fact, our reality. The fact that I don't like such things and that annoys you says more about you than it does about me. To me, I'm not a lemming and not all Dead music has been created equally.

So please, don't feed me SOAS and tell me its caviar, our tastebuds are different and that's OK. That's why there's different flavors of ice cream, we all know chocolate peanut butter cup cookie crunch is best, although some holdouts still prefer pistachio...........

And for all those with flamethrowers out there, fuel up and bring it on! I can take it just as well as I can dish it out............

Rock on rockers,

Doc
If you want that good feeling that comes from doing things for other folks then you have to pay for it in abuse and misunderstanding.....

Arrived in Central New York today, of course it finally came in the middle of a '74 WRS>Dark Star> China Doll...

Is anyone else terrified of cracking a disc when trying to get them out for the first time, man it's sketch city...

The Doc is never annoying, opinions always welcome.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Is there anything more lovely than a 1977-78 Peggy-O?

p.s. After posting the above I scrolled down to see Doc's comment--I was NOT poking you with my comment, good Doctor, sir. :)

Only 2 days from origin to Denver, and only 2 and a half more here, even crisscrossing the state! Good Job dnet, UPS and USPS.
Awesome they put/fit them in our box now so we don’t have to make special trip into town etc! So fingers crossed for you 1stshow
Gonna rip soon, probably give it usual initial love, but with so much 77 it’ll only get somewhat regular play if it tops my usual 77 faves like Swching, Crotchfester, Buffalo etc, ooo, and that new for me Hartford and, well, lol, it’s good to have choices! Let the games begin!
Onward!

user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

Got mine yesterday, but didn't know until this morning when the Mrs put it on the kitchen counter. Popped the bonus disc in for commute, got into Fire. I really like the artwork on this release, especially how the tagger is starting his graffiti on the main release for the cover of the bonus.

Doc, that rant cracked me up. To each his own, I like adding this one to the repertoire, but I know you are especially partial to 1971. Love me some Pigpen era and 1972-74, but the additions to the band's catalogue of songs from 1975-78 included many stellar songs (Fire on the Mountain, LL-S, S&D, Estimated, just for 1976-77 starters). That said, I am with you on Row Jimmy and some of the other Jerry ballads. Friends back in the day looked at me like I was crazy when I said I liked Bob songs-- well yeah, they were rockers usually! Row Jimmy and SoF will likely get a listen from me and then be skipped every future listen. I know, gang, blasphemy... but we like what we like and don't like what we don't like.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Looks like mine got put in the mailbox around 10 this morning. Still got another 45 minutes before work’s done, but should have a beer cracked and a disk in the player within the hour! Pumped for the 5/3 show, but also looking forward to the bonus disk.

Edit: 2638 in hand.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Wow that's some bonus disc! That comes a time is incredible,especially the jam out is really long!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 5 months

The proper term is "Dead Scholars"........and I feel your pain........Pain is In My Heart

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Pretty much where I stand on this release. I don’t deny I'm suffering from an embarrassment of riches. There's just so much 1977 available, especially May, and the degree of improv the Dead were executing on stage pre hiatus is gone. But I don't really see it as anything special. I had a few more comments but the website here thanks I am entering something against policy for some reason.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 4 months

Well, 5-4-77 is JAM heavy and sure beats the hell out of ANY late '71 show without a Dark Star or The Other One. The '71 Heads fired the first shot here! No improvisation?

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by rasta5ziggy

Don't have mine yet, but I feel like I missed out as I never dated a supermodel like Jim.

Hey Now!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 11 months

Tuscaloosa thru Hartford is my personal favorite part of the tour. It just cooks night after night.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

4189 was awaiting my return from work, on Bertha now. Not a fan of the more reggae Berthas of May '77, 5-5 New Haven being my absolute least favorite, this one was much better. The mix on this has more audience ambience, much stronger drums in this mix than most May '77 shows, less Phil, and good vocals, with a touch of reverb. Peggy-O sounds really good (to my ears, Doc, but I'm a big fan of Peggy-O, Ship of Fools, and Row Jimmy all), perhaps as good as the Boston one of 5-7, which is a favorite. That's as far as I've got, but it sounds like another great Betty Board as far as sound quality. The Bonus Disc (including the front and back covers) looks phenomenal. That said, does it match the hype of the 50th release in the Series? To be determined, but I will need lots of convincing. I would have loved a release that paired up some '67-'68 Dead and a Bonus Disc that was maybe that 55 min Alligator. Make that unobtanium, and they would have sold out the subscriptions.

That intro and crowd response to the first Jack Straw in 3 years is pretty sweet. The high pitched hum has returned, however. Noticed that on first couple songs. Hope that gets resolved, otherwise this may get very few repeat listens. I know that took a sudden turn, but as it wears on, I'm having some trouble not hearing it when it resolves. Surprised I haven't seen that mentioned, especially since I imagine a lot of you are headphones listeners. I'm listening on my stereo, slightly cranked at almost 2. No hum on Jimmy so far... Interesting keyboard work by Keith on Jimmy, one of the few times you can really hear him that I can recall. Let's see if Hank Kingsley will let this germane post through.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Not only did I not get Hey Now’d on that, I didn’t even have to take the reCRAPTCHA quiz.

No 50 here yet.
Spinning 4-8-72 vinyl.
Doc will probably approve.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Never heard Jerry do THAT. When I saw the track length, was hoping it would be like the other longer ones of this tour (sorry, Doc, please ignore this), and it has a similar structure, but just before the final crescendo, Jerry's work is really interesting, since it's not like him to hang on one note so much. Definitely gonna brave the hum for another listen after this is done.

Also, I noted the lack of credit to ABCD on this, yet previously uncirculating Bettys from May '77. Sorry, that's one of my obsessions, noting which releases hail from that trove, especially noting when it's recorded by Owsley (DaP 24 8/25/72) or Rex (21 4/2/73, 22 12/6-7/71, 26 11/17/71 and 12/14/71, etc).

Eyes with more of a 1974 feel and tempo. As Yosemite Sam would say, I like it, I like it! Can't wait for the Playing sandwich. Wow, what a Wharf Rat! Jerome John Garcia with some of his most fluid playing. Sometimes with Wharf Rat he goes for some patterns or arpeggios and doesn't quite nail them. Here he does. Even digging the Drums, which is not a favorite of mine in 1977. This one is high energy, especially for one about to slam into the Bo Diddley beat of Not Fade Away.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by estimated-eyes

Doc has carte blanche this board.

Along with a few others. I’m not even sure I deserve membership.

Sorry, but I love Peggy-O. Especially Spring 77

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

I'm just joshing ya.
Good banter. Good music. Good friends. Good shit.
If I had my way, I would tear this board down.
🍻
When there is no more May '77 to mine, then we can rest easy Keithfan.
Until then, Deal with it.
See? I can be snarky too.
❤️

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Carte blanche? Sounds like a skin disease! Whatever it is, I ain't got it..........

I had a nice response for RB76 regarding 1971 vs 1977 jamming, but got Hey Now'ed. Serves me right to suffer..............

So, it's probably safe as milk to say let's enjoy the music, folks enjoy 1977 and I enjoy not that, which is just exactly perfect...............

51 = 12/5/71, it's about time..............

Gotta get ready for work, people are dying to see me.........

I believe it is in my nature to dance by virtue of the beat of my heart, the pulse of my blood and the music in my mind.....

Rock on,

Doc
Music fills the infinite between two souls......

user picture

Member for

7 months 1 week

...and Ears...ALVARHANSO, thnx for confirming my 1st thoughts on
the 1st listen Eyes of the World!
completely different feel to the music of the 3rd (got a inkling, a sense, I was fahken groovin' to JGB)
as compared to the night of the 4th

Peace All!
uncle_tripel

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Tracking was a bit mysterious but it got here this time. Pretty quick turn around in Denver for me too Oro.
Signing in today I noticed there is no search feature in upper right corner. Another hey now innovation or just a glitch? Will reload and see if it's there. Edit: Nope, still gone. Edit 2: And now it's back. Weird.
Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 months 2 weeks

I think - for what it is worth.. - the next pick will be a "post-Brent" show.. maybe a 93 with a guest ?

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

Changes. A few of them happened between 1965 and 1995. Different personnel. Different drugs. Different instruments. Different audiences.

At one point in time I was an acid eating teen who thought any Dead show that didn't have a Dark Star was second rate, at best. When I first heard Cornell I dismissed it as Grateful Dead for Norms: too much like a regular old rock and roll show and not enough psychedelic mojo for my taste.

But I changed. Like everything else.

If it hadn't been for Dick and Dave, I'd still be stuck in the Pigpen era. Which is not a bad place to be, but I would've missed out on great music from years that I'd previously been uninterested in. A great show was still possible in 1990? Who knew?

And yet here I am, listening 3/2/69, even though DaP 50 sits in shrink wrapped silence awaiting my attention. Because I likes what I likes. And what I likes best I like best of all. All good things in all good time.

And what is time, anyway?

Get well soon, Doc. I recommend a touch of mojo hand.

user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Mine has arrived today. One week from release date is very good, let’s hope the delivery problems have been sorted. I’ve been out so I haven’t had a chance to play it yet.

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

5-4-77 is where it's at with this release. was suppose to get here saturday, then monday now tuesday, hey now it's wednesday, still no discs. Not overwhelmed with this one, but maybe we will get our picks on the 75th release special super deluxe
Trower on tour, coming to the Bijou theater, haven't seen him in years, last seen at house of blues in 02 or 03 almost worth the road trip
hey now

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Maybe a little right street, wrong house but I am very grateful to have 5/3. A full 5/4 would have been even better. +1 from a dead freak if you are on the fence. Will warrant repeated listens from me. A 'likes it all' freak I am, but I have always appreciated the tightness of May 77.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Well gosh, I didn't even know I was sick.....

Why hasn't anybody mentioned May 1, 1970. Oh right, that's my job. So yeah May 1, 1970, give it a listen.........

Whenever people ask where I get my sick and twisted ideas from, I reply, 'Just open your eyes.'.......

Rock on,

Doc
Much of your pain is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self..............

Cause this isn’t Today In GD History, there already is a site for that, AND, maybe, just maybe, since most have heard that show a zillion times, well maybe their interested in something else for a CHANGE. Great word, change…

Okay, it’s go time
Couple Gummies, couple big bongs, and 2 24z cold coffees, boo yah,
ROLLIN!

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

was just reading post from last couple of days, I appreciate Doc's love of all things dead in 71 and he has the right to post about his love, doesn't he? Love ya Doc, keep up the good work. Carte blanche carpe diem peace love dope

Tried to post several times yesterday, toxic hey nowd. 50 arrived, in the queue. Been listening to piano jazz last few days as audio palate cleanser, Enrico Pieranunzi, Kenny Werner, Steve Kuhn, Vijay Iyer and Dr. John. Downloaded 5/3 and 5/4 back in the day, dimly recall slight pref for 5/4. Next live music, Alasdair Fraser & Natalie Haas at an extraordinary (hundred year old) music hall. Hearing test this morning at Miracle Ear, eat that miracle, don't need the hearing aids yet. Cheers

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Love all the opinions.
Everyone is correct in their own way, lol.
And as for Doc, there is no one I would rather have doing my autopsy. Wait, that didn't quite come out right. Oh well.
Cheers to all
50 1st listen coming soon!

50 has arrived in Scotland and has the highest number I have ever received. Wasn't among those happy for another May 77 show .... but I enjoyed it more than I expected and the bonus disc is grate. Looking forward to spinning it again tomorrow. Wish they would announce this years box set.

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

Since even I am not entirely sure about what that last post was all about:

The line about "get well soon Doc" was only meant as a joke in reply to the good doctor's line about "carte blanche" sounding like a skin disease.

I got nothing but love for everybody here.

user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Check out the tremendous work Doc has done regarding 1971 shows.
It's f*cking ridiculous that folks get criticized here for disliking an era or a specific show, or not embracing the "everything is great" mentality!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Crow Told Me

Agreed Crow!
Doc, if your “you” is me, than I was just taking up your challenge of since you can dish it, you can take it etc.
Hey, I think it’s grate and somewhat jealous it’s so simple and easy for you to be happy!
Nothing wrong with that. Hell look how many fun posts your contrarian POV generated lol

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I need a miracle, NOT!
Dear lord, take the rest but please leave the hearing!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-50-palladium-new-york-city-ny-5377/081227817466.html