• 694 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Dave's Picks Vol. 50: Palladium, New York City, NY 5/3/77

Reviewer: WolfmansBrother - favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - February 11, 2008 - Online Review

Subject: setting me on fire

left the orchestra section during ship of fools and arrived in the loge for the basso profundo MNS - it's the best of the tour so far, i think, and the balcony is shakin' to its raging outro leading. i sit to take a short break, too.

yet another night of the first set seeming to spill over. first half of this second set is well-played, indeed, but the sugaree is the INSANE highlight, and keith and jerry are battling it out. one of the strongest estimateds of tour and i, for one, am happy for the FOTD break. the second half belongs to jerry - eyes is short but stellar and bridges to yet another rip-your-heart-out wharf rat, and NFA showcases some down in the weeds jamming. we're stomping and clapping and grinning our faces off, and then joint is jumping for sure as they close it down. another fine UJB encore sends me out the door, so very deeply in love with this band and its music. is there anything better than being a deadhead?

Is there anything better than being a Dead Head when one of your favorite shows is officially released in its entirety? We'll double down on your sentiments WolfmansBrother, with DAVE'S PICK VOLUME 50: PALLADIUM, NEW YORK CITY, NY 5/3/77, and we'll bring the fire extinguisher to cool you off after you listen to Betty Cantor-Jackson's complete recording. Don't want the party to end? We'll stoke those embers with a few hot tracks from the first set of  5/4/77. Dave's Picks Subscribers score the monstrous second set from 5/4/77 featuring "Scarlet>Fire,"  "Terrapin," 'Playing In The Band," "Comes A Time," and more. Woowee!

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. 

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd

Doesn’t matter what’s in it as long as it sounds better than what I already have, or is something I don’t already have.
    I want it all.
    I copy the CD’s to a HD, convert to ALAC, load onto a microSDXC card, and play with a music player. Each show goes into a folder named as the date of the show. Thus, all shows are chronological in my collection and aren’t ordered according the DP, DaP, RT, or Box number.

Bring on the Halaskawaii Box.

• Dennis

Not coming thru,,,,

verification

dennisdotwilmotatverizondotnet

• daverock

To you, too!

• Danehead
    Default Avatar

Love both G/P and will love this box, too.. BW for a happy weekend to you all..

• Obeah

Came here via a slingshot on Mars. It's been a minute... I grew weary of getting constantly hey now'd.

Was just wondering if folks were talking about the box set rumors. And I see you have been :) Me, I don't know what to make of it. I'll certainly buy it if it's true; the Alaska solstice show is fun. And I'm always down for 1970! But if it's actually true then it's a strange brew. Like Grape Pistachio ice cream. And yet the people who like Grape Pistachio really like Grape Pistachio...

• RyXs

The only way this works in my mind is if the sets are really bluesy themed. For the 1970 Pig shows, that's an easy reach with songs like Easy Wind! Now for the early era Brent shows, they've certainly got a more gritty blues sounding feel than much of the Keith and Donna era. At first I do think it does sound odd, (and still a rumor) to pair 1970 with 1980, but with a bluesy motif and set list for '80, I believe one could match up the somewhat seemingly distant eras. I don't think that same philosophical idea would work for applying late '80s Brent era to primal Pig.

• gratefulgerd

100 % agree. That's the way I see it, too.
    Different years/decades, different set-lists makes it even more interesting to listen to something new.
    For comparison you always have your own personal archive.
    HI '70 and AK '80 sounds very interesting to me.
    And there's a lot more!
    Cheers

• Crow Told Me

I don't think I've ever listened to a box set all the way through in order. Or even tried.

They come in the mail, and I cue up the first disc of whichever show I'm most eager to hear, and I listen to that show, all the way through in one sitting, if possible. And then I make plans to get to all the rest of 'em sooner than later.

I did think the variety you get in something like the River box was nice. The '71 shows were significantly different from the '73 ones in every way: personnel, set lists, and most certainly audio quality. If Dave has said he values continuity in a box set, I don't what he was thinking there.

Bottom line: I just want great shows in good sound. Most (not all, but most) of the boxes deliver. Hawaii '70 and Alaska '80 would be a weird combo, but I'm-a try to withhold judgment till I hear the music. Or at least confirm the rumor.

• alvarhanso

And melt into a dream, but like daverock, I like more of the single year boxes. Even if it means lower distinct song count, and more of a monotonous sound if on repeated listens. Sometimes the difference between tours is enough of a demarcation point for me to strongly prefer the sound of one over the other, such as Spring '77 vs Fall '77. Fall '72 vs Summer '72. Differences between years are often more jarring, usually due to recording and equipment differences, but also musically. Pigpen to Brent in one box, with no Keith would be massively jarring. For multi-year boxes, I lean more toward the '72 shows in Listen to the River, the '89 shows in Giants Stadium, and enjoy the PacNW shows pretty evenly. 30 Trips doesn't count, I was getting that no matter what, plus, it encompasses all years, save 1965. Give me a central focus for a box, and I'm much happier. That's my view on it, anyway.

• daverock

I've never really thought about that before - but on reflection, the boxes that span different years don't really hold up as box sets for me. Both The St. Louis and North Pacific ones feature great shows - but I have never played them in the order they are presented since the first time I played them. I still hear each years shows in the context of other shows from that year - not in the context of other shows in the box they are released in.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 1 month

Dave's Picks Vol. 50: Palladium, New York City, NY 5/3/77

Reviewer: WolfmansBrother - favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - February 11, 2008 - Online Review

Subject: setting me on fire

left the orchestra section during ship of fools and arrived in the loge for the basso profundo MNS - it's the best of the tour so far, i think, and the balcony is shakin' to its raging outro leading. i sit to take a short break, too.

yet another night of the first set seeming to spill over. first half of this second set is well-played, indeed, but the sugaree is the INSANE highlight, and keith and jerry are battling it out. one of the strongest estimateds of tour and i, for one, am happy for the FOTD break. the second half belongs to jerry - eyes is short but stellar and bridges to yet another rip-your-heart-out wharf rat, and NFA showcases some down in the weeds jamming. we're stomping and clapping and grinning our faces off, and then joint is jumping for sure as they close it down. another fine UJB encore sends me out the door, so very deeply in love with this band and its music. is there anything better than being a deadhead?

Is there anything better than being a Dead Head when one of your favorite shows is officially released in its entirety? We'll double down on your sentiments WolfmansBrother, with DAVE'S PICK VOLUME 50: PALLADIUM, NEW YORK CITY, NY 5/3/77, and we'll bring the fire extinguisher to cool you off after you listen to Betty Cantor-Jackson's complete recording. Don't want the party to end? We'll stoke those embers with a few hot tracks from the first set of  5/4/77. Dave's Picks Subscribers score the monstrous second set from 5/4/77 featuring "Scarlet>Fire,"  "Terrapin," 'Playing In The Band," "Comes A Time," and more. Woowee!

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. 

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

That’s a pretty good grab for tickets. Enjoy.

I can’t justify the cost. I just don’t enjoy their music that much. I’m going to see Steve Kimock at a small theater and purchased DIP 12 instead. I’m also baffled that DiP1 sold out and DiP12 didn’t. Once I get a turntable, I plan to play DIP12 until either the needle runs out or the vinyl does.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

....and part needing to check the Sphere out. A two-fer.
Edit. Instagram vids are popping off out there in internet land re Dead & Co Sphere. Looks pretty cool! Feel Like A Stranger opener.

user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

As I recall, the vinyl pressing of DP1 was available on RealGone for a very short time (hours?) at $99 plus shipping, before it became unavailable there. Not sure if RGM actually showed "Sold Out", but it was no longer available at RGM. The vinyl DP1 then popped up on ExperienceVinyl for twice the price – around 199.00 + shipping. Not too cool, and it remained available on EV for a fairly long time until EV eventually dropped the price to 149.00 + shipping. Finally it showed up on amazon for a little less – 140.00 and no shipping. Maybe RGM is holding on to DP12 longer this time around.

user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

Sorry to be staying off-topic, but . . . Just checked and experiencevinyl dot com is still offering Dick's Picks vol 1 - 4LP for 149.98 plus shipping. And DP12 - 6LP is still available at RGM. Neither is offered on amazon right now, but there are a couple on ebay for a little over 125.00.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

got to hand it to them,,, will be here wednesday!

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

f uck off

no regrets on that unkind comment

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

That one was still available on Amazon last time I looked too. Shorter in length, it's less expensive. Feel the quality, not the width.
It occurs to me looking and listening to these releases that many of my favourite live recordings have been partial shows, not full ones.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by daverock

“Only 20 left in stock, order soon” .
Thanks but I’ll pass.
I won’t pay more than what they were originally on Real Gone.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

First, DiP1 vs DiP12

Chuckle of the Week AJS: Once I get a turntable, I plan to play DIP12 until either the needle runs out or the vinyl does.
Wait, it's a tie. ProudFT : Re Hey Now f uck off no regrets on that unkind comment
Wait, it's a threefer VGuy: Available Dicks.... that also reminds me of my ex. Damn slut.

Humor is the great prophylactic against an unhappy existence.

More to say but do not want to get heynouned so I'm gonna let it rip.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Had a great time last night, went with an old buddy I somehow had only seen one dead show with. I drove, he made a great copilot helping avoid the cops, get to show with ease including great parking, preshow food and beverage, etc. So there's that which makes for a good start.

The show was very good, consisting of good arrangements of songs I mostly like, great instrumentation and long, well-performed jams throughout. Typical of J_Rad.

Two gripes, the show consisted primarily of first set songs. This continues well into the second set. Minor gripe.

Second (sort of) gripe, the overall song selection included a few songs that rarely gel with me which is just a random personal preference thing. We likes what we likes..

It's not the setlist it's the performance, right? And they did just fine here. Mid first set they performed an excellent, electric Dark Hollow followed by a Bertha that would wake the dead. There was a Slipknot! tease that appeared at several times throughout.

But the treat came midway through the second set. I'm not lying:
Shine on You Crazy Diamond>
Mission in the Rain>
Mission in the Rain>
Mission in the Rain

Shine on was instrumental and short. I can't recall which parts of Shine On appeared. For a verse or two, they were playing Shine On with Mission lyrics. That was my highlight. As interesting an oddity as Shine On was, Mission in the Rain was stupendous and the best part of the show.

So a mixed bag but overall but overall, a great night was had. It's like the good doctor reminded us couple weeks ago: One person's pee break is another person's break out the kind bud and dance a jig moment. Either way it's all good, it's just the way the cookie crumbles.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that we are the sane ones and the rest all mixed together are the moron majority. Be as you are and trust that beyond that everything's gonna be alright.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by JimInMD

When Hey Noun will not even let you correct your grammar mistakes, spelling errors and typos.

That's just the way it is.

Proud_Ft for what it's worth, I get hey nouned for all the Frikken time. But you did get the funniest moment all day through, which made me chuckle. So you did something right.

They purposefully pick on me and postal employees with carry permits.

(and apparently ProudFeet peoples too).

Coincidence? not.

I have noticed most of us here have catered our language such to not offend the hey chow demons. Clever Hippies we are.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by JimInMD

....they projected Barton Hall on the mega gigantic screen tonight.
Oh my.
And you thought Corrina was cheesy? It's all about personal perspective.
Shake it up baby.
Cmon. Us old timers recall the Bobby cheese talk. It's in our DNA.
Edit. Red Rocks appeared. Hey now!

So wish more vinyl worked for me, hundreds and hundreds lps here from radio days, few recent things like FW69, just can't justify much more physical media in a house too small. Hey Now. THANKS Jim, hoping for a special program of Jerry stuff on his birthday, last checked it had not sold out, an outdoor venue limited to 2000 supposedly. Friends have plans to go early for prime spot. Great show with JRAD on the Burlington waterfront five or so years ago. Next up, Frank Vignola at a very small venue....

Still available.
I thought it would go fast based on the past Real Gone vinyl DP’s.

Tracking says mine should arrive on Friday, just in time for the 3-day weekend.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

72 OR 77 for me it's 72.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 months

Still digging vol. 50.. the "jam"part (starting with "eyes" - much like DaP 29) is so great - before WR, I think Garcia was ready to go for the "dew".. but .. In 2027 I think a box of the full may tour (post Palladium) will come.. BW from sunny Copenhagen

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by Danehead

As a kid I had a record that included a song by Danny kaye

To wonderful won der ful Copenhagen

Still pops into my mind when I see the city name

Now you know

If I get hey nowed for this post d dot daht

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by wissinomingdeadhead

Yeah

Hearing jg b for first time in quite a while

Bay Area 78

Sounds good

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by proudfoot

....yay!
I'm going in. USDA prime Dead cuts. Pretty much a universal opinion.
Got Pearl Jam in a few hours.

user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

The seemingly never-ending and inexplicable heynow bullshit is a huge buzzkill. Still, in the last few days Marye has actually acknowledged the problem and assured us that they(?) are working on a new and improved website and forums. . . I dunno – Maybe take a deep breath one more time? Posts from heads like you are what make having to put up with this crap bearable. Onward.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

I got 'em June 1 at Red Rocks. Anyone else going?

Only thing is, I've got GA. Back in the day - let's say before I entered my 60s - I'd hit the stairs early to rush in and get good GA seats. We had many, many years of 2nd row center (1st row for mobility impaired) for ABB, Bonnie, etc. Not sure I can muster the energy for a 6-10 hour seige these days. Yet the back rows produce the "ant" syndrome - performers look like ants.

I'll have to weigh my options, and soon.

Let's see if this message in a bottle makes it through the HN filter. Not to be mistaken for the HF Experience!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

1974 OR 1977?
Tough call on this one guys. I'll go with '77 hotLanta indeed!!

user picture

Member for

3 years 3 months

Got Hey Now'd like a Tears For Fears song! Had a nice detailed response, now its just........ Portland!

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

In reply to by wissinomingdeadhead

Listened to the Sugaree yesterday, doing some comparing to 5/3, 5/26, and 5/28. 5/26, which was on DaP 41 2 years ago is very good, Jerry is more ambitious, but I would put it at the bottom of the four. 5/28 from the tour closing To Terrapin release is the champ to me, so sprawling and multi-faceted, and the band works it really well in the ebbs and flows. I had forgotten about 5/19, and it's a great one, probably my second favorite, pushing 5/3 to third, but it's an important template creator. I skipped 5/5 New Haven, may get to it tomorrow. 5/3 and 5/19 both feature my favorite high note walk downs from Phil at the end, 5/19 is longer and just about perfectly executed and a perfect summation of why Phil is so different, adding a part that would probably be played by cellos to help resolve the piece in a classical context. Also, I noticed it was Jerry doing the Walk on the Wild Side type stuff on 5/3 as Bob is doing his harmonic chords underneath. That's another thing he started really doing magnificently, and I'm struggling to think of other rock type songs that use chords with harmonic notes like that. You might hear them used for flourishes in solos and things, but as a skeleton rhythm is really fascinating. Sorry if that whole experiment is nails on a chalkboard to some denizens around these parts. 😉

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

By the way, anybody see this newest live compilation? It's up on nugsnet, haven't seen it anywhere else, or really looked, but just came across it again, and thought to ask. Mostly stuff previously released, a couple strays.
Deal Cornell 5/8/77
Loser Lyceum 5/26/72
Half Step English town 9/3/77
Jed Paris 5/3/72
Day Job Richmond 11/1/85
Hell in a Bucket Vegas 6/26/94
Stagger Lee Hampton 3/27/88
HCSunshine Vancouver 6/22/73
Ship of Fools 5/12/74
Jack Straw Vegas 3/26/83
Ramble On Rose Lyceum 5/26/72
Candyman Springfield 9/3/80
Doin That Rag FWest 2/28/69
Me & My Uncle Family Dog 2/4/70
Dire Wolf 100 Yr Hall Frankfurt 4/26/72
Scarlet Begonias Cobo Hall 10/3/76
Truckin' Copenhagen 4/17/72

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

Suck it, Hey Now!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 months

Is this some sort of official thing.. ? Vegas 1983 would be sweet..

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

I was there at the Aladdin Theatre , along with alot of other great people who post on this forum. Crazy times for sure.

user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

Think that may have been an online only release, I searched for it and only see playlists, no physical media. I guess it was timed for and themed with the Sphere residency of Dead & Co? Might explain the 2 oddball Vegas tracks from unreleased shows. Hell in a Bucket from '94? Not my first choice for a song for a Dead live compilation...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 2 months

This looks neat in a lot of ways but I am debating if it is really for me. My show routine involves finding a place that sounds good toward the back of the floor with dancing space. I pay little to no attention to the stage and screens and often just have my eyes closed. Seems like this sphere thing is not really about that. Is there any groove element to it at all or is the crowd just in movie theater mode for the show?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 months

True about 94 Bucket and the Vegas run - but there is also a Candyman from 1980.. Maybe vol. 51 will be Vegas 83 plus the 1970 "leftovers" from vpl.48 - to push the Vegas stand ?

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

I completely agree. Watching the videos online may me question even more whether or not it is worth it. Leaning more towards not.

It seems like a glorified omni-theater. I go to concerts for the music. The emphasis seemed to be on the visuals, not the band. If I want something visual, I'll go to movies. I'll take Red Rocks all day long.

The coolest part for me were the images of Barton Hall. However, I have been there recently and it is not nearly as nice as they made it appear.

I would love to hear feedback from anyone who has actually attended.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

The video seems too big and distracting. Might be better in person though. Will wait for the full report from Vguy.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

....the evening of June 8th.
Or maybe the morning of the 9th depending on certain "factors".
Reports from people I know personally that have been there for U2 and the movie cannot understate the fact that videos do not do it justice both with the visuals and the sound.
I'm going open minded af.
Edit.....the Terrapin Station "looked" awesome.

user picture

Member for

17 years

Send me a PM and explain what's going on because I agree it shouldn't be happening but here we are so let's try to figure out a fix till the real one comes along. Thanks and so sorry for all the trouble you're having.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by marye

..all that assumes the PM doesn't get heynowed.

I have been lucky the past few days as I have been able to post but I feel I am the lucky one.

I suggest they scrap the whole thing or at the very least change the format. I think I speak for most that a) they have defamed the lyric of Aiko Aiko and if it were an Ice Nice lyric hunter would stalk us all in his grave and b) It's a ridiculous system because the rules are not known to seemingly anyone. At the very least, get rid of the flag Hey Now. It is forever ruined as a moniker.

Just scrap it and bring a new, better way to protect us besides stupid censorship.

This is in no way meant towards you, you are a reverend godmother of us unworthy souls and we appreciate everything you do.

For example, I am quite sure I have been denied simply for using the words Hey Now.

(Understanding this post made it through, they must be relaxing the rules somewhat. If this has been fixed and this is all moot I sincerely apologize)

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by JimInMD

My opinion on this venue just got Hey Nowed here and now, but it let me post this rebuttal. This only serves to.. , well it serves nothing.

It was a benign, tasteful post (or so I thought). Positive and in support of both the band and the venue/concept.

But someone at Rhino or more specifically some piece of mysterious source code decided it was not to be read. Come on.... seriously? This particular issue and the revenue implications might just exceed the revenue implications of a $35 per show Dave's Picks series. And the fact that a loyal fan cannot write to support the current 'tour' at the current venue on dead_net is a joke.

Wake up Rhino.

Let's see if this post makes it in the next GD Bulletin. I'm not going to hold my breath.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I will add that many posts that are negative of the Sphere were let through yet a positive comment gets hey nowed for absolutely no reason. Are these archival releases more important than what's going on now? Rhino, you appear to have weighed in or at least made decisions through the source code in your web site that weighed in.

So are we to believe rhino is not in support the current dead 'tour' at the current venue? A residency where the revenue to the band likely dwarfs the revenue from these recordings? (not that I want releases to go away, I have supported them since One From The Vault and have not missed a single one)

Is this opposite day or something? There is something seriously amiss here, where the negative gets through and the positive gets snuffed.

How about not taking sides and not censoring unless things go horribly astray, and the rules agree to the terms we agree to when set up our accounts?

(did I make it on the next GD bulletin email yet?)

Edit: And a kind message to MaryE. I did save the hey nowed post, word for word.. which I suspect Proudfoot might not have. Who thinks to save such things after being thoroughly frustrated?

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-50-palladium-new-york-city-ny-5377/081227817466.html