• 518 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Dave's Picks Vol. 50: Palladium, New York City, NY 5/3/77

Reviewer: WolfmansBrother - favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - February 11, 2008 - Online Review

Subject: setting me on fire

left the orchestra section during ship of fools and arrived in the loge for the basso profundo MNS - it's the best of the tour so far, i think, and the balcony is shakin' to its raging outro leading. i sit to take a short break, too.

yet another night of the first set seeming to spill over. first half of this second set is well-played, indeed, but the sugaree is the INSANE highlight, and keith and jerry are battling it out. one of the strongest estimateds of tour and i, for one, am happy for the FOTD break. the second half belongs to jerry - eyes is short but stellar and bridges to yet another rip-your-heart-out wharf rat, and NFA showcases some down in the weeds jamming. we're stomping and clapping and grinning our faces off, and then joint is jumping for sure as they close it down. another fine UJB encore sends me out the door, so very deeply in love with this band and its music. is there anything better than being a deadhead?

Is there anything better than being a Dead Head when one of your favorite shows is officially released in its entirety? We'll double down on your sentiments WolfmansBrother, with DAVE'S PICK VOLUME 50: PALLADIUM, NEW YORK CITY, NY 5/3/77, and we'll bring the fire extinguisher to cool you off after you listen to Betty Cantor-Jackson's complete recording. Don't want the party to end? We'll stoke those embers with a few hot tracks from the first set of  5/4/77. Dave's Picks Subscribers score the monstrous second set from 5/4/77 featuring "Scarlet>Fire,"  "Terrapin," 'Playing In The Band," "Comes A Time," and more. Woowee!

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. 

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Vguy72

....they projected Barton Hall on the mega gigantic screen tonight.
    Oh my.
    And you thought Corrina was cheesy? It's all about personal perspective.
    Shake it up baby.
    Cmon. Us old timers recall the Bobby cheese talk. It's in our DNA.
    Edit. Red Rocks appeared. Hey now!

• JimInMD

They purposefully pick on me and postal employees with carry permits.

(and apparently ProudFeet peoples too).

Coincidence? not.

I have noticed most of us here have catered our language such to not offend the hey chow demons. Clever Hippies we are.

• Vguy72

....it ain't no fault but mine I guess.
    Nobody's fault but mine.
    Trying to save my soul to light
    Oh, it's nobody's fault but mine.
    Strange things are afoot at the local Circle-K.

• JimInMD

When Hey Noun will not even let you correct your grammar mistakes, spelling errors and typos.

That's just the way it is.

Proud_Ft for what it's worth, I get hey nouned for all the Frikken time. But you did get the funniest moment all day through, which made me chuckle. So you did something right.

• proudfoot

I get hey nowed

Jim writes a novel and gets posted

Bizarre

• JimInMD

Had a great time last night, went with an old buddy I somehow had only seen one dead show with. I drove, he made a great copilot helping avoid the cops, get to show with ease including great parking, preshow food and beverage, etc. So there's that which makes for a good start.

The show was very good, consisting of good arrangements of songs I mostly like, great instrumentation and long, well-performed jams throughout. Typical of J_Rad.

Two gripes, the show consisted primarily of first set songs. This continues well into the second set. Minor gripe.

Second (sort of) gripe, the overall song selection included a few songs that rarely gel with me which is just a random personal preference thing. We likes what we likes..

It's not the setlist it's the performance, right? And they did just fine here. Mid first set they performed an excellent, electric Dark Hollow followed by a Bertha that would wake the dead. There was a Slipknot! tease that appeared at several times throughout.

But the treat came midway through the second set. I'm not lying:
    Shine on You Crazy Diamond>
    Mission in the Rain>
    Mission in the Rain>
    Mission in the Rain

Shine on was instrumental and short. I can't recall which parts of Shine On appeared. For a verse or two, they were playing Shine On with Mission lyrics. That was my highlight. As interesting an oddity as Shine On was, Mission in the Rain was stupendous and the best part of the show.

So a mixed bag but overall but overall, a great night was had. It's like the good doctor reminded us couple weeks ago: One person's pee break is another person's break out the kind bud and dance a jig moment. Either way it's all good, it's just the way the cookie crumbles.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that we are the sane ones and the rest all mixed together are the moron majority. Be as you are and trust that beyond that everything's gonna be alright.

• JimInMD

First, DiP1 vs DiP12

Chuckle of the Week AJS: Once I get a turntable, I plan to play DIP12 until either the needle runs out or the vinyl does.
    Wait, it's a tie. ProudFT : Re Hey Now f uck off no regrets on that unkind comment
    Wait, it's a threefer VGuy: Available Dicks.... that also reminds me of my ex. Damn slut.

Humor is the great prophylactic against an unhappy existence.

More to say but do not want to get heynouned so I'm gonna let it rip.

• icecrmcnkd

“Only 20 left in stock, order soon” .
    Thanks but I’ll pass.
    I won’t pay more than what they were originally on Real Gone.

• daverock

That one was still available on Amazon last time I looked too. Shorter in length, it's less expensive. Feel the quality, not the width.
    It occurs to me looking and listening to these releases that many of my favourite live recordings have been partial shows, not full ones.

• proudfoot

f uck off

no regrets on that unkind comment

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

Dave's Picks Vol. 50: Palladium, New York City, NY 5/3/77

Reviewer: WolfmansBrother - favoritefavoritefavoritefavorite - February 11, 2008 - Online Review

Subject: setting me on fire

left the orchestra section during ship of fools and arrived in the loge for the basso profundo MNS - it's the best of the tour so far, i think, and the balcony is shakin' to its raging outro leading. i sit to take a short break, too.

yet another night of the first set seeming to spill over. first half of this second set is well-played, indeed, but the sugaree is the INSANE highlight, and keith and jerry are battling it out. one of the strongest estimateds of tour and i, for one, am happy for the FOTD break. the second half belongs to jerry - eyes is short but stellar and bridges to yet another rip-your-heart-out wharf rat, and NFA showcases some down in the weeds jamming. we're stomping and clapping and grinning our faces off, and then joint is jumping for sure as they close it down. another fine UJB encore sends me out the door, so very deeply in love with this band and its music. is there anything better than being a deadhead?

Is there anything better than being a Dead Head when one of your favorite shows is officially released in its entirety? We'll double down on your sentiments WolfmansBrother, with DAVE'S PICK VOLUME 50: PALLADIUM, NEW YORK CITY, NY 5/3/77, and we'll bring the fire extinguisher to cool you off after you listen to Betty Cantor-Jackson's complete recording. Don't want the party to end? We'll stoke those embers with a few hot tracks from the first set of  5/4/77. Dave's Picks Subscribers score the monstrous second set from 5/4/77 featuring "Scarlet>Fire,"  "Terrapin," 'Playing In The Band," "Comes A Time," and more. Woowee!

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. 

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

My current turntable came with one that screws onto the threaded spindle in the middle of the platter. I always used one on my previous turntable too. The idea is to stop an unclamped LP resonating, thereby affecting the sound quality. How good are your ears?

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by simonrob

not a comedy team... stabilizers can also help in some cases flatten vinyl warps as they fix the lp to the table and are reputed to help reduce wow and flutter by adding mass

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

The first signs of old age. Have you ever seen a deadhead dance with a cane? the three legged stomp. prefer a cane over a walker, more sophisticated and looks a bit more "cool", if being older can be cool. Freak flag flying, just a bit tattered and weathered.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Added weight can stress out old motors but the theory seems logical. Seems a bit of overkill to me.
Cheers
Old Folks Boogie - Wheelchairs locked arm in arm
And WTF does this date have to do with Star Wars other than a ridiculously bad pun?

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

I've never used a stabilizer. I do think it's worthwhile to get a decent turntable mat, which will serve the same purpose, costs less, and is less of a hassle. If you happen to be one of those people who just kind of enjoys the ritual of playing vinyl and doesn't mind adding an extra step that is unlikely to produce an audible difference in your listening experience, then don't let me stop you.

Funny, but until Doc posted something about 5.15.70 in the recent discussion of Harpur's, it had never dawned on me that those gigs were less than two weeks apart. No wonder Vol 3 No 3 is my favorite Road Trip.

Waiting on the new Kamasi album, which drops today and should arrive this afternoon via the Bezos minions. Got tickets to see him in a couple weeks and very much looking forward to checking out the new material.

Strange music-related experience with my mom yesterday. She has dementia and can't remember shit anymore. Suddenly apropos of nothing she starts talking about music, describing a concert she went to at some point (must've been years and years ago). She can't remember where it was or who played but she's describing the music in great detail, humming melodies and saying what instrument played what part. And it's so detailed that after a minute I can identify what piece she's talking about: it's Piano Concerto No. 2 by Rachmaninoff. So I cued it up. "Yes, yes, that's it!" she said. And we listened to the whole thing.

Music is a freaking miracule, my friends. Never forget it.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Had to look it up.
Skeptical.
Maybe for old warped vinyl.
I bought 140 g LP’s a few months ago that were warped when brand new out of the wrapper. They would need a brick to flatten them. But they still played.
All the 180 g LP’s I’ve gotten were flat, and the center hole so small that the LP has to be pushed down onto the spindle, which holds them tight.

If tone arm weight and anti-skate are set correctly the stylus should track the groove without issue. If the turntable doesn’t have those adjustments then maybe a stabilizer might offer a benefit.

be with you indeed

Love the anecdote about your mother, Crowtoldme.

I used to work with old folks with dementia. What they had for breakfast that day was a mystery, but could belt out the old tunes.

user picture

Member for

7 months 2 weeks

...the old wharfedale's W60D speakers crankin' (wife's grand-dad had purchased in the late 60's then passed-on by her mom)
2024 BONUS, freaking SWEET!

awesome story by crow told me about your mom and the power of the tunes!!!

Peace All!
uncle_tripel

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by dmcvt

There's already some 50's with bonus disc up for auction you know where.
Used and sealed.
Peace

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by TN John

....the original Star Wars trilogy John Williams soundtracks I bought on CD back in 1997 (?!).
Holographic cds are tight!
Replaying the video in my head. Got that shit memorized.
Haven't busted them out in ages. Came with external sleeves. The New Hope one is missing. Now it's bugging me.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Is some of my favorite classical stuff. Can't beat John Williams! Dances With Wolves has a great soundtrack. (John Barry)
Wishing Mom well Crow, what a moving story! It is a freaking miracle.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

Satisfactory

I will save disc 3 for another time

When you get done with 50 check out 11/24/79

user picture

Member for

3 years 3 months

2024 Bonus Extra Disc Day! On replay,... Today.... All day!
Amazing Dave's Pick too! #50 was worth all the hype and no disappointment here! Jammed that pick extensively yesterday, and been making an insane amount of new playlists and adding to older ones. Thank's Dave for always putting in that extra 'killer' filler. Between the 2024 Bonus disc and the #50 filler I've got enough of 5/4 to blend into a playlist with all the Pittsburgh 1978 filler from Dave's #37. Phenomenal! Peace!

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

For 51

11 19 72 (good luck, PF)
11 26 72

In the immortal words of Black Flag

Gimme gimme gimme

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

May 4th
A very good guess for 51, 6/22/91.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by wissinomingdeadhead

....for the record.
Plopped in the 50 bonus. Got some rumchata, a gummy and game seven hockey. I'm good.
I'm rooting for Toronto. Because I know the Cowboy Junkies are somewhere pacing.
Another game seven tomorrow.
I'll take up the pacing reigns then.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

This Brown Cow Hey Joe crap has gotten ridiculous.

Every now and again we all have something pertinent and sometimes important to say and it seems only negativity gets through.

I'm beginning to think an evil empire rules the roost here. They have no empathy and care not about what one should care about.

Cut out the Hey_Now_Brown_Cow bullshit Rhino. Seriously, are you that tone deaf?

Would love to see them release it, but it was the MUATM release last year, so it probably won't be a Dave's Picks.

Looking forward to this year's MUATM show. What will it be?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

....ooh, ooh Mr Kotter. I hope it's the second night of the '89 Cal Expo run. We were close to the stage that evening.
It could be my fifteen minutes of fame! You all could see my stupid grinning ass face!

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Just pathetic.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Person responsible for Hey now crud I would smash your hands with a sledgehammer if I could

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

They are tone deaf and completely oblivious

Foo kem with a chainsaw

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Oh yes, that would be great. I am thinking they would make an announcement this month.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Crispy critter

Would make a great Daves

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Listening to shows either side of the 50th I am struck by how musical Keith's piano playing still was at this time. Really adds to it. He seemed to get a bit more ham fisted from Fall 77 on through 1978.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by daverock

1) 1/2 Step is sort of a mess to start out with and I'm not speaking simply about the level issues. Previously circulating SBD cut half way through inaudible 1st verse with a gap up to the second chorus. In this release I think the audible second half of the 1st verse is patched in from another show. The second verse is flat out missing (no patch). The legit second chorus is brought in after patched in partial 1st verse as if it was the 1st chorus. Gotta say though that the real 1/2 Step > Big River opener had to be killer. Edit - now I'm wondering if decision to omit patch for second verse had to do with available space on CD, which if so is sort of out there considering.
2) there is a reel change/tape gap in Playing Reprise which appears to be patched with SBD from another (unknown) show for about 30 seconds. Ever so slightly noticeable on headphones given how gorgeous that Playing > Comes A Time > Playing is.

Despite these rough spots there is a whole lot of beautiful music on this release.

Edit (another) - not sure if its been mentioned here but the cat on DaP 49 and DaP 50 is Dave's cat Ziggy. Also my theory is that the tagger on the Bonus Disc is a time traveling young Dave L.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Listened twice, once with headphones and then with the big (no name brands allowed, hey now) speakers. Phil really came through on those big boys.
The show itself, especially the first set, was ordinary. The tempo remained moderate throughout, almost like they were rehearsing. That stand alone Good Lovin' seemed odd.
The second set starts out a little livelier, and the energy gets kicked up a notch toward the end of Sugaree. Two faves were Samson and Wharf Rat. A solid UJB ends the night on a high note. B+
I suspect 5/4 will be the better of the two, based on all the raves about the bonus disc.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by wissinomingdeadhead

The actual 50th is 5 4 77 which cant be released as a full show

5 3 is the bonus

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Your boys folded. Up 2-0.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

Happy 93rd birthday to the Say Hey Kid, the greatest baseball player of all time. I was fortunate enough to see Willie play several times back in the Sixties at Candlestick Park, even saw him hit a home run.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

Yes I agree that Spring '78 is overshadowed because of Spring 77. Now the thing about 5/5/78 to me is I have never ever found a SBD of the 1st set during my 22 year run of tape trading now the 2nd set was readily available but that 1st set was never located in tape form.

Now about 5/6 I have to say that 5/6/81 is by far my all time favorite show from the 80's I can only imagine what being there was like. Just for the coolness factor I still to this day have both sets of 5/6/78 on tape just because 5678 is a cool date. Just when are TPTB making that boxset announcement anyway?
As always PLAY DEAD PLAY DEAD LOUD!!

user picture

Member for

7 months 2 weeks

... Willie Mays, you da Man!
yup, got to see my 2 all-time fav major leaguers (Mays & Allen) on may 18 1969 @ Connie Mack Stadium (1st ever MLB game)...
Say Hey pinch hit and got intentionally walked, and saw Bobby Bonds & Willie McCovey play with Juan Marichal pitching
Richie Allen had a couple of hits and 2 rbi's

what a different game, baseball was back then

BILLYTHEKIDDD (ty man for bringing back those memories)

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

....let's just say the goony birds were plentiful. If you toured in the late 80's, you know what I'm talking about.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Unfortunately, another bird that is on the endangered species list.

I have #50 in hand. Hopefully tonight I will go through my quarterly ritual of ripping the CDs to file, reading the liner notes and relaxing with front row seats (in my mind) to my favorite band.

I am told we are creatures of habit. This falls into the good habit list.

Hope you all are having a good start to the week.

user picture

Member for

2 years 9 months

You betcha I do! I was however a tad more interested in the purple pyramids

user picture

Member for

7 months 2 weeks

always on the good habits list for this date,
y'all know it,
some might not agree on it's place in GOGD history,
but since it's good habits were talking about, my good habit is always...ithaca '77...on may 8th
and thanks betty!
because celebrating in front of the board [which is always in my house, and just in my mind] with another b-day.

this afternoon's celebration includes PLAY DEAD LOUD with grilled filet, belgian tripel, crabcakes, homemade fries, and additional cheer is always welcome
Cheers All!

Peace today and everyday for all!
uncle_tripel

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-50-palladium-new-york-city-ny-5377/081227817466.html