• 1,210 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Golden era Grateful Dead in the most golden city in the Golden State? Yes, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 46 features the complete unreleased show from the Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, 9/9/72. Loosen that tie, this ain't a red carpet rodeo - it's the after party that legends are made of. Consistently excellent from start to finish, this West Coast groove showcases tracks that would soon debut on EUROPE '72, solo material from both Jerry and Bob, a riveting iteration of "China>Rider," a couple of Chuck Berry doozies, a bonkers 35-plus "Other One" that hits all the psychedelic highs, and wraps up with a "Casey Jones"/"Sugar Magnolia"/"One More Saturday Night" finale that'll have you wondering why you wore a tie in the first place. Hooray for Hollywood, indeed.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Owsley Stanley and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Oh, and it ships next week so you'll wanna grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

Thinking about it, King Crimson have also had quite a few of their live shows released over the years, too. Mainly tucked away in era defining box sets.

• jonathan918@GD

Yes, they have released a bunch of shows, maybe even a few tours.

Fantastic band to see live!!!

• Colin Gould

I was reading the latest issue of Mojo magazine which has an article about Pearl Jam. They have, apparently, issued around 500 official bootlegs of their concerts. Who knew?

• jonathan918@GD

I agree!

It's truly amazing, and you're right, no other band can provide this kind of enjoyment for fans, or build a legacy like this.

I was a little late to the party. I started getting tapes in 1988 from my older brother, but didn't make a show until 1991.

I always thought more would come out, especially after One From The Fault was released, but i never imagined it would be like this!!

A lucky bunch, we are!!

• daverock

It's truly astonishing when you stop and think about all the live shows that have been released over the last 30 years. I never expected all this when I started collecting their official releases back in the 70's. No other rock band could stand such a schedule.

• jonathan918@GD

Gave #46 a spin tonight and was absouletly blown away!

Fantastic sound. Fantastic performance.

It's releases like this and the current #49 Frost show, that gives me faith there is plenty more gold to mine in the vault

Rock on, gang

• Oroborous

Goodnight Gracie lol

• dmcvt

Just went up a few ago

• bluecrow

BigBrownie - Estimated > Franklins > Jam from 12/4/79 was filler on DaP 31 Uptown 12/3/79. The Shakedown that opened Set II on 12/4 appears to have a gap in SBD so not usable. (Edit - oops, my mistake, Shakedown opened Set II on 12/5).

I'm all in on this pick from the Kiel. Completely unfamiliar with it but I know that I really dig Fall '79. There are some very favorable reviews on archive, including one from the "legendary" capn doubledose. I know DaP 31 doesn't get much love, but it was my second show and its always a fun listen for me - spun it on a drive just last week. Just gonna say that the Jack-A-Roe is my favorite outside of those early '77 versions - Jerry's solo is exquisite. It is a puzzle that 12/1 hasn't been released but so be it. I mean, what about Gainesville? One thing's for sure, basically every release is a surprise to me. Sometime its something that's on my wish list, sometimes not, but always a surprise.

• bigbrownie

has a Space>NFA>Stella>Sugar US Blues tacked on at the end. That looks like 12/04 Uptown Theater in Chicago.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 1 month

Golden era Grateful Dead in the most golden city in the Golden State? Yes, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 46 features the complete unreleased show from the Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, 9/9/72. Loosen that tie, this ain't a red carpet rodeo - it's the after party that legends are made of. Consistently excellent from start to finish, this West Coast groove showcases tracks that would soon debut on EUROPE '72, solo material from both Jerry and Bob, a riveting iteration of "China>Rider," a couple of Chuck Berry doozies, a bonkers 35-plus "Other One" that hits all the psychedelic highs, and wraps up with a "Casey Jones"/"Sugar Magnolia"/"One More Saturday Night" finale that'll have you wondering why you wore a tie in the first place. Hooray for Hollywood, indeed.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Owsley Stanley and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Oh, and it ships next week so you'll wanna grab a copy while you can.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Saaaalute

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by PT Barnum

PT - The last time I saw Tangerine Dream was during Edgar Froese's last tour with them. Very different frome their 70's epics, but still good. I will be interested to read how they are now live. If Steve Hillage plays in the club near you, I would highly recommend him. He is now, and for the last time, I think, playing the music he made from that celebrated decade, but with the hindsight of age, experience and technology. I believe he encored with "Are You Experienced?" last time he played in London.

Speaking of which - Thatmike - I can't believe it's 45 years since you last played L. When I think of the hours I have wasted...I mean enjoyed....listening to that album. Several live albums available by him worth checking out -Live Herald was the one that came out at the time.

Paul Butterfield - it doesn't seem to get mentioned often, but I actually prefer the first album to East-West. At the time it was made - 1965-66 - it was becoming a cliche for white bands to play the blues - and most of them now sound a bit amateurish - just an introduction to the real thing. That Paul Butterfield album was different - that WAS the real thing. And still is.

user picture

Member for

1 year 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

To Vince!

Short version...
There seems to be a group who find it fashionable to bash the man, and it infuriates me.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

DaveRock - Unfortunately, after my pals and I got to “mixing up the medicine”, that particular Steve Hillage album disappeared, likely liberated by one of my friends. I distinctly remember having it on vinyl, and thinking it was pretty decent listen. I’ll have to revisit it in the future. Thanks for the heads up on some other listening.

Three cheers to Jim, glad to hear all is well. Health is everything. Family, music, great friends, etc etc can fight it out for second place.

And a nod to Vince Welnick, the somewhat forgotten Dead member.

Go Knights. It’s game time.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Und

6 30 74

Und

4 2 73

Ja, gerne

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

$8.50 advance, $10.00 at the door

GD
Beach Boys
NRPS
Commander Cody

woooow...

Gone are the days, indeed

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

28 years ago today would be the last time I would see the Grateful Dead I saw them the night before and really enjoyed the show. The last song I would see was a great version of Liberty.

....was my last time seeing the Grateful Dead live.
Great. Now I'm a little bummed out. 😞
My buddies and I mail ordered for our first east coast shows at MSG.
Needless to say, our money orders got returned.

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

I heard that that last Tangerine Dream tour with Froese was pretty good, sorry to say I never got to see the originals. Thorsten Quaeschning was Froese's student and has stated that they will continue along with Edward's latest concept. Should be interesting, 3 person band
Another toast to Vinnie, liked his work with the Dead, appreciated his work with the Tubes, his smile would light up the room, a real cool guy.
Appreciate the review of Dead and Company. Too bad they don't turn Mickey loose, melt some faces for sure.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by PT Barnum

Good luck to your G Knights.

I always get a little melancholy when the finals start, as the end is near.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

Ditto

That was a replay of Holtby robbing Tuch. Only you benefited this time.

Update: that was a really weak penalty call. And the TNT guys already picked up on the Holtby save.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....just. Wow.
Set play at the steal your face off pays off for Florida.
Tip of the day here.
I checked ticket prices after puck drop.
Down to under $300 after fees.
Camp out in front of the arena and make sure your phone charged.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

At the Masonic Temple Theater, nice place, had a good time... setlist:
Up on the Roof
David Makalaster (With Southbound Pachyderm tease)
Rumble of the Diesel
Long in the Tooth
Mr. Wright (The Claypool Lennon Delirium) (Tour debut)
Animals by Pink Floyd
Pigs on the Wing, Part 1
Dogs
Pigs (Three Different Ones)
Sheep
Pigs on the Wing, Part 2
Precipitation (Les Claypool and the Holy Mackerel)
Maple Leaf Rag (Scott Joplin cover) (Tour debut, per Les’ request)
Holy Mackerel (Les Claypool and the Holy Mackerel) (With My Name is Mud tease)
David Makalaster II
Encore:
Whamola
Cosmic Highway (With Wynona’s Big Brown Beaver tease)

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Nice game, VGuy. It was pretty tight until the 3rd. New respect for Adin Hill. Florida has a relentless forecheck, hard pressure on the D, but the Knights of the T-Mobile held fast. Great game, and a little rough stuff, which I like, too!

The new Dylan and the new Cowboy Junkies are on tap for today. Still no DaP 46, no response to numerous requests to Customer Service. Marye if there is anything you can do, much appreciate it. Help Is On The Way, perhaps?

DaveRock- Patience, it truly is the final series. I equate it to World Cup fever every 4 years. Toronto is a hugely multicultural city, so when the WC is on, bars are given special permission to serve liquor all day (to accommodate games played in far flung time zones), cars sport every flag imaginable, another neighbour puts dozens of Union Jacks in his garden, my neighbour paints himself in Dutch orange, guys that have a slight trace of Irish or Brazilian in their DNA are suddenly sporting T-shirt’s from their “homeland”, etc etc, and although I never caught the bug for the Beautiful Sport, I get the excitement it generates, and the fervour. Props to you for your patience and good humour about it!!

to get down, to the heart of the matter.
The end is nigh lol
What a game! I had 3/30/90, the other Nassau on during. Great show and a great game eh!
Serendipity, you bet, the Knights that say née scored that crucial third goal just as Bob was telling us how we needed a miracle, indeed…
New respect for Hill: in the first when they basically mobbed him and were cross checking him etc, I liked how he stood up to them and even threw a couple in the melee. But best part, he was laughing about it afterwards, while the Kittens were getting all worked up…PYSCH!!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

3 to go. Yes, it seems ludicrous to swing at the goalie. He's well padded.
I was a bit worried when that first goal was scored shorthanded, good hustle.
Fortunes can shift but Vegas looks strong.
Never seen the pre-game festivities. The intro is laughable. Very Vegas, quite the show. Onward.
Cheers!
Steve Hillage research led to finding a Tonto's Expanding Head Band LP in the collection. Thanks

Thatmike - seems like great time to be hockey fan. Maybe I'd be one myself if I lived where you do.

Istshow- Tonto's Expanding Head Band are a group I can remember hearing about - but never actually hearing. I always imagined them to be an early electronic band - like 50 Foot Hose or Silver Apples.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Yes, very early use of Moog and other new at the time electronics.
It's actually very good. Jazzy. Jan Hammer is the closest thing I can think of.
They don't go to feedback or the other hideous stuff electronics are capable of.
(Sorry Phil but I dislike Seastones)
Cheers

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

My wife usually doesn’t watch sports with me unless it is “live”, but she was watching the pre-game build up (“They have cheerleaders!!”) and loving it. We both figure Las Vegas has a bit of experience entertaining a crowd! That T-Mobile was so electric, you could have charged your cell phone off the crowd while watching the game.

SeaStones? I’m with you 1st Show - hard pass.
Steve Hillage - Further investigation required.
Another early fan of the Moog that doesn’t get a lot of credit for it was Roger McGuinn of the Byrds. Early days for use of the Moog, so it can sound a little dated, but The Notorious Byrd Brothers - besides being a great album, and although they deny it, that horse on the cover was a funny shot at David Crosby - has some interesting Moog work. McGuinn was known for his fascination with gadgets and electronics. A truly great record.

....corny? Maybe. Entertaining? Definitely.
It's the entertainment capital of the world.
One shouldn't expect anything less.
They had some cirque de soleil members on the tethers last night.
We're on the world stage at this point.
Go big or go home.
During the second intermission, it becomes a club party with a pretty damn impressive DJ with awesome lights. I love my lights. They don't show that during the broadcasts.
I love every second of it. Very addictive.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by proudfoot

It was a great game. . . for two periods. It really was. Fast paced and Florida was pressuring Vegas hard. Then it unraveled.

I don’t think Cousins had nearly the opportunity that Tuch did years ago, but he still should’ve buried that puck. It didn’t look like he got very good wood on his shot. Tuch did. Tuch just didn’t lift the puck. Regardless, it was remarkable save by Hill.

And how about Thachuk. What kind of lazy pass was that across the middle of the ice? Give Stone credit for knocking out of the air and scoring, but that was all on Thachuk. I thought it was high sticking last night, but after watching it again today, I don’t think so.

Lastly on hockey, I’ve had enough of Koharski as the “expert referee.” The guy is as indecisive as they come and really doesn’t add anything. For me at least. And Jim Schoenfeld.

As for the pregame theatrics, I don’t mind them, but they’re a bit much for me. Edmonton having the entire crowd sing the national anthem is more my speed.

Seastones - no thanks.

Good luck tomorrow night Vguy. I think that Hill save changed the series in your favor. Sweet redemption after the same thing happened to your team while shooting on the very same goal.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Something like “Hey Koharski, have another donut you fat pig”
Yeah, not a fan. He was a shitty Ref and doesn't seem to be any better now?

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

This would make a great box set! If not in the vault they will certainly be in the banana boxes. My friend went to 6/6/70.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I have always likes idea of Seastones more than the reality of actually listening to it. The same goes for the live experiments of the same ilk during 1974. They never really seem to go anywhere to me. Maybe they aren't supposed to.

One fairly early album that I have always liked, which featured synthesizers to set it's tone, is "Man Who Sold The World" by David Bowie. Nothing else I have heard sounds quite like this - very eerie and other worldly. Critics often seem to describe it as an early heavy metal album, which I have never really agreed with. It sounds nothing like the heavy rock albums that came out around that time -1970. "Deep Purple In Rock" "Paranoid" "Led Zep 2" were heavy rock. This was much more woozy.

user picture

Member for

6 years

VGuy , as we say in GB “ eyes down and look in “ best of luck tonight . On the night shift this week so it’s hockey all the way 👍🏻

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Eichel literally dove head first into a brick wall.
I'm shaking my head too. Ouch!
Even the replay is painful.
Do they even have concussion protocols in the NHL?
Cheers
Post game edit: Impressive win. They dominated.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

....yes. They do.
But Eichel is coming off neck surgery from the off season.
That looked extremely painful.
Aaaand. He's back and scores on his first shift. 💪

Not to jinx you, but congratulations. I don’t see the Panthers coming back to win this series. Not the way Vegas is playing right now. That long layoff seems to have taken away Florida’s momentum. Here’s hoping that Florida can win one at home so you get a chance to see the Cup in person.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....he started feeling sorry for Florida.
Yeah. Go over there.
And yes AJS. I'll be paying attention regarding the game a week from tomorrow.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Looking good Winthorpe, feeling good Todd…
But I’m a little worried about the road trip.
Think the kittens are going to be brutal and shits gonna get weird…

Going back to that for a minute, one curious cd I've got is called "Forbidden Planets", which features early electronic recordings from the end of the 1940's to 1958. It features what might be considered low and high brow music-film themes and classical pieces by Stockhausen. Including "Gesang Der Juenglinge" by the latter. That's bad trip music if there is such a thing!
I saw Stockhausen live once, which was quite a strange evening. He gave a brief lecture, followed by a piece of music called "Hymnen" which is a cut up of various National anthems. They played electronic music on the public speakers in the bar during intermission. It was all quite formal though - it wasn't psychedelic in the same way that rock bands using electronic sounds were/are. I suppose if you were used to seeing classical music performed, it was quite weird. It was all very quiet. I can remember talking to a girl in the bar, who remarked how strange the atmosphere was - with the electronic sounds bleeping away in the background.

Electronic music was an interest of mine in the late 60s and early 70s, hand built small tone generators with Radio Shack kits in part to learn how to control touch tone phone switching. Though I had studied piano, when cut loose with a Moog Synthesizer in a class at American University in 1972, it was a total uphill curve. When viewed photos of early production Moogs, its all about patch cords, tone generators and filters had to be hooked together via external cabling before the keyboard could control much of anything. So there were dozens of phone jacks and cables to connect, spaghetti. Before the Moog, there was the Theremin, patented in 1928... both used by Lothar and the Hand People. When arrived in this area of Vermont eons ago, I came to know Will Wright who lives in these parts and played with Lothar and the Hand People back in the day, played shows with the Dead, the Byrds, Canned Heat, and Hendrix. Will was my guitar teacher briefly. New England Digital was born nearby as well, late 1970s developers of the Synclavier which was originally designed at Dartmouth. Pat Metheny, among others (Zappa, Genesis, The Cars, Herbie Hancock) began to use the Synclavier and since he was in the Boston area, came up this way multiple times to work with NED, gave some solo concerts at Dartmouth to explore it. Pat later developed his version of an Orchestrion, an electronically controlled "player piano" collection of instruments distant kin to synthesizers. Pat's playing locally tomorrow night in trio format, pleased to have a ticket.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Mention of the theramin always makes me think of Clara Rockmore, who I had read about a few years ago, as one of the renowned masters of the instrument. I was always intrigued by her story, playing truly such a unique instrument, and her Lost Album is available for sale. However, I think the Beach Boys’ “Good Vibrations”, and the odd inclusion in my old Munster DVDs is probably enough for me.

Jack Eichel must have one sore shoulder today. It was a clean hit, though, by Tkachuk, but talk about rocking your world. It’s a rough game, keep your head up, Jack. When I was taking karate (Goju ryu) years ago, I was sparring a much younger guy, big fellow that played defence for one of the Junior teams (London Knights), where the NHL players get selected from. He hit me so hard, all I could see was my head rolling across the dojo floor. Keep your head up, and your fists in front of you, Mike.

Received “ Jerry Garcia (Reissue): The Collected Artwork” book today, will go through it over the next few days. I am always amazed by how many great musicians were also first rate artists - Garcia, Joni, Dylan, Ron Wood, Charlie Watt, George Frayne (Commander Cody), Lennon, etc etc. My holy trinity has always been music, art, and sports > there is beauty and poetry and good and evil in all of them. Real soul food.

Edit - I just read this: Clara Rockmore’s theramin album was produced by….Bob Moog. Yes, that Moog.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by That Mike

The first time I heard electronic music was in the early 1960's when I was about 5 or 6. "Telstar" by The Tornados, which still sounds wonderful to me today, and the Doctor Who theme by the Radiophonic Workshop, master minded by Delia Derbyshire. Some 10 years later, when I first heard "Meddle", the opening "One of These Days" reminded me of this music.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

1: Great Food, bbq, Italian, Mexican, Chinese, 2: Great Music, 3: Sports, (especially football), and great beer to go along with all of the above.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-46-hollywood-palladium-los-angeles-ca-9972/081227834593.html