• 1,210 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Golden era Grateful Dead in the most golden city in the Golden State? Yes, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 46 features the complete unreleased show from the Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, 9/9/72. Loosen that tie, this ain't a red carpet rodeo - it's the after party that legends are made of. Consistently excellent from start to finish, this West Coast groove showcases tracks that would soon debut on EUROPE '72, solo material from both Jerry and Bob, a riveting iteration of "China>Rider," a couple of Chuck Berry doozies, a bonkers 35-plus "Other One" that hits all the psychedelic highs, and wraps up with a "Casey Jones"/"Sugar Magnolia"/"One More Saturday Night" finale that'll have you wondering why you wore a tie in the first place. Hooray for Hollywood, indeed.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Owsley Stanley and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Oh, and it ships next week so you'll wanna grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

Thinking about it, King Crimson have also had quite a few of their live shows released over the years, too. Mainly tucked away in era defining box sets.

• jonathan918@GD

Yes, they have released a bunch of shows, maybe even a few tours.

Fantastic band to see live!!!

• Colin Gould

I was reading the latest issue of Mojo magazine which has an article about Pearl Jam. They have, apparently, issued around 500 official bootlegs of their concerts. Who knew?

• jonathan918@GD

I agree!

It's truly amazing, and you're right, no other band can provide this kind of enjoyment for fans, or build a legacy like this.

I was a little late to the party. I started getting tapes in 1988 from my older brother, but didn't make a show until 1991.

I always thought more would come out, especially after One From The Fault was released, but i never imagined it would be like this!!

A lucky bunch, we are!!

• daverock

It's truly astonishing when you stop and think about all the live shows that have been released over the last 30 years. I never expected all this when I started collecting their official releases back in the 70's. No other rock band could stand such a schedule.

• jonathan918@GD

Gave #46 a spin tonight and was absouletly blown away!

Fantastic sound. Fantastic performance.

It's releases like this and the current #49 Frost show, that gives me faith there is plenty more gold to mine in the vault

Rock on, gang

• Oroborous

Goodnight Gracie lol

• dmcvt

Just went up a few ago

• bluecrow

BigBrownie - Estimated > Franklins > Jam from 12/4/79 was filler on DaP 31 Uptown 12/3/79. The Shakedown that opened Set II on 12/4 appears to have a gap in SBD so not usable. (Edit - oops, my mistake, Shakedown opened Set II on 12/5).

I'm all in on this pick from the Kiel. Completely unfamiliar with it but I know that I really dig Fall '79. There are some very favorable reviews on archive, including one from the "legendary" capn doubledose. I know DaP 31 doesn't get much love, but it was my second show and its always a fun listen for me - spun it on a drive just last week. Just gonna say that the Jack-A-Roe is my favorite outside of those early '77 versions - Jerry's solo is exquisite. It is a puzzle that 12/1 hasn't been released but so be it. I mean, what about Gainesville? One thing's for sure, basically every release is a surprise to me. Sometime its something that's on my wish list, sometimes not, but always a surprise.

• bigbrownie

has a Space>NFA>Stella>Sugar US Blues tacked on at the end. That looks like 12/04 Uptown Theater in Chicago.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 1 month

Golden era Grateful Dead in the most golden city in the Golden State? Yes, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 46 features the complete unreleased show from the Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, 9/9/72. Loosen that tie, this ain't a red carpet rodeo - it's the after party that legends are made of. Consistently excellent from start to finish, this West Coast groove showcases tracks that would soon debut on EUROPE '72, solo material from both Jerry and Bob, a riveting iteration of "China>Rider," a couple of Chuck Berry doozies, a bonkers 35-plus "Other One" that hits all the psychedelic highs, and wraps up with a "Casey Jones"/"Sugar Magnolia"/"One More Saturday Night" finale that'll have you wondering why you wore a tie in the first place. Hooray for Hollywood, indeed.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Owsley Stanley and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Oh, and it ships next week so you'll wanna grab a copy while you can.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Dennis

....OK. I'll bite.
Still recovering from Cup hangover. Time for me to get back into the groove.
All I can say, is that everyone here in Vegas is much more.....friendly. And if there is a disparansy, just bring up the VGK. And all is good.
Healing.
I'll take that in spades all day long. Let's do it again.
Hi MaryE!! 👋

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Vguy72

VGuy, I am totally up there with you on that Samson & Delilah from NYE'76; I mean, that segue from Good Lovin' > Samson is one of a kind and is totally groovy. Never heard them do that again, I even remember where I was the first time hearing that segment for real - it was one of those moments that will stick with me forever, among many others from this cherished catalogue.

Be Well People!
Sixtus

Daverock, you mentioned his first. How about Bowie's last? What a way to go out! I reach for Blackstar more than any other of his. Ethereal and creepy. Very much a transmission from another galaxy.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by lebowski99

Half way between picks. New car smell is off the last one and it’s too early to think too much bout the next one.
This is another reason why the sub should be 5 picks a year ; )
Happy Summer folks!

Edit: speaking of awesome swan songs: Greg Allman’s Southern Blood.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

One of my favorites.. from the Practically Perfect Brothers Band era. Great recording, great performance and thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish. But seriously, from the first set closer PITB through the encore.. wowwy.

In fact.. pushing this one into the rotation. I might add one from the first May '77 box and June '76 for good measure before I venture furthur back in time....

Have a great summer solstice dead freaks.. enjoy the longest day of the year. Carry some of that VGuy Stanley Cup good vibe energy into your today and your tomorrow.

Now.. back to fixing that god forsaken time travelling tractor. There it is... yes.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Spinning 12-31-76. Likely only heard this a couple of times.
You guys are making me find stuff I forgot I had again. Thank you!
A burned copy (gaps between songs, argh!) so I looked up the package and found it was the first Rhino related offering (2007). There was a bonus disc (if ordered through Dead net?) called Spirit of '76 that has some 6-9-76 Boston, 10-2-76 Cincinnati, and 9-24-76 Williamsburg which I have and will explore later today. (might as well add that chunk of 9-27-76 Rochester from this week's Tapers)
Current fleabay offerings have three priced from $159 - $269 that are only the 3CD and one which includes the bonus disc for $225. More interesting (and affordable at $35) were the Liquid Blue beanie bears with 12-31-76 tag and a Father Time label attached. Wait, isn't Bill Graham father time?
Cheers
Just getting to Good Lovin' > Samson. The cool, tasty, funky style Samson. Love it! I'd have to go with a harder rowdy one like the one with the crazy start on DiP 18 where Bob's mike isn't working and Jerry has to wing it for a few minutes until they get Bob's mike fixed for my best ever though. The "we are not doing a false start here, just keep playing dammit" one. Admitted 1978 bias for full disclosure.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Lebowski99 - yes, that is a great album. Without question my favourite of Bowie's since Scary Monsters. To be that creative, and that experimental at that stage of the game...hats off!
It's back to the 60's again, but another one I got fairly recently was the "Conversation Piece" box set, and that is really good too. It feature recordings, outtakes and radio sessions between that first album and the one known as Space Oddity. Which is also included with stunning sound. It's all a major step up from the first album. From here to Blackstar is quite a journey !

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 6 months

Always loved Bowie. I have a bootleg vinyl from back when you could buy bootlegs through mail order avenues. I believe it's from one of his Ziggy Stardust live concerts. Bought a lot of great weird stuff, live Mott the Hoople, lots of poor-sounding Dead concerts........but I still have them and love 'em...... One more thing: I often read about how much certain releases priced on fleabay (BTW, I have never heard that term but love the name).....has ANYONE or ANYONE you know EVER paid those exorbitant prices for these? The only one I have ever bought was DaP 10, with the bonus disc, because I love that era. Paid $50 and would not have paid much more. It is probably my favorite Dave's Pick. Anxious for the HCSS box.

I was fumbling around a few weeks ago and think I noticed someone here went to NYE71 (think it might have been Nitecat). On the All the Years Combine dvd box set, on the bonus disk (i think), it shows what appears to be an early 1970's NYE clip. It is during the drum section, I think again, from that bonus disk. It shows a locomojo train snaking thru the crowd. On the front of the locomotive is a psychedelic picture of Jimi Hendrix. Whatever that show is, I sure wish they could release that on dvd (or even on cd), if the show exists in complete video/audio. It might be 1970 or 1971, guessing maybe 1970. What a dvd that would be, if it is there...

Nitecat: Also your posting of the 1988 southern swing I plan to review. I saw the Miami, Tampa, and New Orleans shows. Fun little run but required some crazy planning of my freaky friend and me. I drove up to the Cap Center shows with a friend from Atlanta and then I returned home, he went on with the tour with other heads we knew. When I got home within a week or two the mail order for that southern run started. So I ordered my freaky friend and me the 4 shows of the 6 or 7(?) show run. As I went to the Cap Centre shows, it dawned on me the "Dixie" tuning after Peggy-O was pointing to a southern tour. The little 4 show run was a lot of fun. Miami, well, is always Miami. Cannot even image how big that city is now. Was my last time there and it was short. Tampa/St. Pete was awesome, great fun shows and the weather were incredible. We sat out on the Bay front dosed mid afternoon the second show and just soaked in all of it. Spectacular weather - sunny but cool, not sweltering hot. Great timing of shows. And of course, New Orleans is New Orleans one of the capitals of the party - slow life - scene. My freaky friend drove down from the University he was attending, picked me up at the Tampa Airport and we drove on down to Miami, turned around back to St. Pete. Watched those two shows tried to crash but was hard to do, maybe got 4 hours of sleep. He drove me back to the airport and he drove back to his university he was attending (working on his masters - he ended up with a Ph.d). Sure he is a college professor now at the top of his field. Havent seen or spoken to him in over 20 years. I got home at around 7am, changed clothes and went to work. Got off work and drove down to the University and we crashed (Monday night). Got up and drove to N.O. on Tuesday for the Tuesday show. Party for a while, then started to drive back to his University. After 3 or 4 hours we were so exhausted we pulled into a rest area and just slept in his car for about 4 hours and then finished the trip. Then, I had to drive back home. I have never sat down to figure the time or mileage we journeyed but it was a haul. I wrote years ago about going to the 1988 Greek shows. Same type situation for me. Got off work Thursday, flew to SFO saw three shows. Flew out Sunday approaching dusk, and went to work Monday morning. 3 west coast shows, one day off of work. Whew. It tires me just writing this little bit. Apologize if the read wears you out. It is amazing what heads will do to pull off some shows...

I have paid some good money for needed shows off of ebay. I always try to keep my average price of all cd's of dead shows at $15. Seeing the organization sells disks in the $10-$11 range that gives me some leeway to pay more for certain shows. I ended up paying around $250 for the FW69 box. So it stretched me some. Still overall, I am at that $15/disk. And, we all know that $250 was very well spent. It has the bonus disk and is in very good shape, doesnt even look like the booklet has been opened. I also try to listen to each show 5 times before I let it rest for a while. No telling how many times I have listened to that FW box, and it will get another play as we round into 2024, wow 55th anniversary.

OOOps Edit, I paid $350 for FWBox. Math still works though

Edit2: I paid $100 for Dave's 8, but that was because it was new but/and it was not numbered. Just a particular show I really wanted because of my own history with Fox/Atl. Not sure all told I have bought off the bay but I also got disks way below $15. Example: I bought a lot of DiP 1-31 for $700. So that is below the price new. Now Jim has kidded me before on here about me buying another small lot recently. maybe last 6 months. Funny as hell. You know, "some girlfriend is mad". Makes me grin even now. (J/K when I say not my problem, smile.) Reason being, I am primed for something like that if I am not careful. Turn about would be a well something...

Edit3: I bought the Dicks because I had gaps. I have sold several on of the repeats here for $15/disk. And still have a couple of duplicates, I think.

RastaZiggy - I used to like bootlegs too. Hidden in mystery. I can remember having one of David Bowie from his last show as Ziggy in 1973 at Hammersmith. It was quite unique in that it had Jean Genie on, featuring Jeff Beck, which was left off official versions of the show when they eventually came out. I notice it has been included in the 50th Anniversary release of the show that came out recently.
I had a few Dead bootlegs, too. In fact, the first time I came across tapes, this bloke I knew was selling them. Luckily, I only lined his pocket for a short time before discovering a tape library. And the rest, as they say, is history. There used to be live cds at record fairs in the early 90's, too. Quite a good recording of 5/8/77 on the dubious Silver Rarities label - still up in my attic.

....the morning after the Knights won the Cup.
Spent my lunch hour that day stopping at every 7-11, Circle K, Walgreens etc looking for one. I was denied. Saw they are going for $40+ on EBay. I was a little bummed.
Then. A hockey buddy reached out to me.
"I got one for you. Free of charge."
Score!!
Angela is the type of friend everyone should have at least one of.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

"I like people who like the Grateful Dead".
Jerome Powell said he's been a Deadhead for 50 years.
OK, now I trust him with our economy.
Cheers
Concertgoers at Red Rocks last night were pelted with hail as large as golf balls causing 80+ injuries. Some of those running to their cars for shelter found broken windshields and lots of dents. Tornado near there today! Dorothy!

Brings back fond memories of D&C 7/5/19!
Sometimes chasing that ole Rocky Mountain High ain’t for wussy’s; )

… regarding 1979, I really Love 10/28/79 ! Man, the performance that day is Primo, totally beautiful from the first song to the last! There’s so many grateful moments & playing from the whole band! I rarely ever post about the Dead’s “Drums” performance/ segment on this board, actually probably never lol But the “drums “ from 10-28-79 is just amazing!!! The performance of ‘Stella Blue’ is so Sweet!, beautiful & moving! It’s one of my favorite versions from the Grateful Dead! Another Favorite ‘Drums’ of mine is from, “crimson,white and indigo” from the Philadelphia, July 7, 1989 official release!!! It takes me to Thailand! Mind blowing! One of my favorite “ New Year’s eve” concerts is, not shocking coming from me is the 1979, Oakland auditorium arena in California concert. There’s even a guest player sitting in at the end of the show on a few songs, with ‘John Cippolina!!!
Have a grateful day everyone, Keep on Truck’n!

user picture

Member for

13 years 7 months

MUATM tonight! I'm psyched! Anyone going to the Clackamas Center Cinema?

user picture

Member for

13 years 7 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

I bought some Dicks to complete my collection. Usually $15 a disc. Also bought the first Spring 1990 box. Also both the studio boxes. My big purchase was the Europe box. I bought seems like 10 years ago for $750. I was behind and had to catch up. Havent poped for the FW69 box, I would if I saw a good price.

user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

In reply to by nitecat

… I’m catching the Viewing at one of the ‘AMC’ theaters in N.J! With a few grateful brothers and sisters from my so called homeland! A Grateful Evening indeed! Some “Good Ol Grateful Dead” on the Big Screen with Primo Audio Quality, the Best of the Best! 🙏❤️💀🌹

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

I will not be able to attend this year due to prior commitments. I'm still holding out hope for an official release of this gem. I was expecting a full breakout of a merch store featuring music releases and a few other trinkets ala SSDD, I spent damn near 300 bucks before the first song ended that night the coolest item I grabbed was the Oregon Dead T, it sold out less than 24 hours after it was put up for sale. AAAH TO BE A DEADHEAD-WE ARE EVERYWHERE!!

as written before, last year first one i missed. This will be the second one. Sure wish they would make these PPV also. Then, people in the US or Europe or globally could also watch. I am almost certain it would add revenue to the family. Sux, I might try to travel to a saturday show. Hard to do with ailing family here, but still might give it a try. Do PPV and give the standard (nugs.net) 48 hours to watch. I would pay that for sure to be able to watch several times in 48 hrs.

user picture

Member for

3 years 10 months

I miiiiight still have that on cassette

I will look when I return to WA

I know it has Dark Star

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Deadbase labels it a Darkstar Jam.

Like, Giants stadium box from June of 1991(?). That Blu Ray disk is amazing.

Think I am going to pull trigger on Widespread Panic on nugs.net this weekend. Three nights for them as they extend their massive lead of most sold out shows at Red Rocks. Not sure where they are now maybe 65-66 sold out shows there. Colorado always huge WsP territory. And was a big push behind the rebirth of the blue grass scene. Yehaw!

Then budgeting to pay monthly subscription to grab a few D&C shows in next month. Some Phish shows shows etc.

Anybody know much about Goose. There shows, this weekend, are included in monthly subscribers. And then will be there to watch in the FUTURE Future future

About to pull trigger, also, on Dweezil Zappa, as he has a $30/year fee and gives 10 free shows with subscription.

Still wrangling though, as I still have so so much Dead stuff to find out about.

Edit: Think Giants Blu Ray tonight. Then WsP, nugs lets you keep a PPV for 30 days or so after purchase, then 48 hours to watch once you start.

Whew

user picture

Member for

13 years 7 months

Yes it was a Dark Star Jam, a really nice one. Bruce suggested/teased DS twice earlier in the show, and they finally folded into it after a really nice post Terrapin jam. Jerry was singing well, and was especially soulful during the Black Peter.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Go Kniggets (Congrats VGuy).

One comment on Powell. My 401K is down since news broke that he's a deadhead :D

GFar, check your PM.

12/31/76, fantastic.

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by nitecat

On the Giants 6/17/91 the official release even says Dark Star before the Masterpiece whereas Dbase says Dark Star tease. So I guess tptb decided the DS tease must warrant calling it DS. I dont have a problem with that, I think it lasts a couple of minutes of weirdness. Since the 2nd set is also DS, of course, but Dbase thinking about statistics chart it like this: Dark Star theme during "Jam", "Jam" is after Uncle John's Band. The DS Jam prior to Truckin is the first one since 6/23/74 which is reckoned as 1,110 shows prior. That is quite the breakout.

First set Eyes since 8/13/75 (1,083 shows). Sure it has been posted before. Sure I will re post in future as a new post...ha!

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Speaking of 6/23/74, I listened to the 3rd cd of the Dave's Picks featuring this show last night. That Dark Star- Spanish Jam- into the final destination US Blues is one great piece of music. US Blues could have been written with this moment in mind.
I notice, looking at the date at the bottom of my laptop, that yesterday was 23rd June too. Fancy that.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by daverock

6-23-74 is good, but I like the transition into it from 6-28-74 better.

user picture

Member for

13 years 7 months

New DTV videos released on DreamsWeDreamed dot com:
A Conversation with Dan Healy Part 1 of 3
Kaiser Convention Center 1989
LA Forum 1989
Henry Kaiser, Dark Star
The Dead News March 1989

Enjoy!

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

I remember that it's great...but not why. I'll find out all over again over the next day or so. One of the great things about memory loss is that things never seem old. Odd how it used to be considered a disadvantage.
They played some truly great music during June 1974.

user picture

Member for

10 years 5 months

In reply to by daverock

Weather Report Suite> Jam> US Blues features heavily on DiP 12, the one with the amazing 12 min China Cat that has a great 3 min China Cat Jam to start it, as well as simply scintillating Eyes encore, with one of Phil's best solos. The WRS and Jam is like 48 min, with a Mind Left Body/proto-Music Never Stopped portion, a brief Dark Star excursion (much less obvious as 6/23/74, which is really a full Dark Star without lyrics, as it has the full intro from a dead stop), and other themes I can't remember right now. But it traverses quite a bit of territory. There may be one of the proto-Slipknots in there, too.

6/23/74 aka DaP 34 is one of my favorite releases. I think the sound on it is the best 2 track Wall of Sound there has been thus far. The vocals aren't as sibilant. And they were feeling it so much at those shows that even Black Peter has some life in it. The Jerry choices are top notch and fit in well, and the Bob choices complement them well. Not a huge Ramble On Rose fan, but they kill this one right out of the gate, and it gets better from there.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

I think if these shows had been issued collectively, in a box set, then that box may well have been held with the same high regard as FW69 and Europe 72.

PNW Box.
Listened to 6-26-73 last night, and 6-24-73 Friday night.
Good stuff, but 6-22-73 is my favorite of the three nights.

Some good ‘74 in the PNW Box too.

I got 6-28-74 set 2 on cassette in 1992, so it was already burned into my brain when it came out as a DP. The sonic upgrade blew away my hissy cassette.
I suspect that Plangentized/Normanized upgrades of 6-26,28-74 would sound spectacular.
Hmmmm….June 74 Box…..Bring it on Dave/Rhino.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Isn't that a Bob song? Great lyrics as I recall.
"Where it's so easy keepin' straight. And the girls aren't second rate."
Did he perform it much?
Cheers

user picture

Member for

3 years 10 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Psychedelic Mystery Theater

user picture

Member for

17 years

In reply to by 1stshow70878

That could be but they didn't play Dark Star at that location in 81 or 95 (at least according to setlists). The only one I could find for SLC was 4-12-69 and it is a good one. I'm only curious cause I am a Dark Star fan and like to listen to that people recommend since the days when Sixtus would haunt this site

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by drpryan

“Ain’t making no big deal about it,
But I hear those Mormon girls are really great”

Even better:
“Ole Brigham kicked a prairie dog, and muttered in his beard,
You’ve put me through some changes lord, but this one’s really weird”

Great song, great album!

Yes, that is another great one. I'm hanging back on listening to the 1973 shows in that one after reading someone on here point out that they follow on from the ones in the new box. So...a massive 1973 binge is on the cards! To think...the outside world knows nothing of all this. Not in Lowestoft, anyway.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-46-hollywood-palladium-los-angeles-ca-9972/081227834593.html