• 1,210 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Golden era Grateful Dead in the most golden city in the Golden State? Yes, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 46 features the complete unreleased show from the Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, 9/9/72. Loosen that tie, this ain't a red carpet rodeo - it's the after party that legends are made of. Consistently excellent from start to finish, this West Coast groove showcases tracks that would soon debut on EUROPE '72, solo material from both Jerry and Bob, a riveting iteration of "China>Rider," a couple of Chuck Berry doozies, a bonkers 35-plus "Other One" that hits all the psychedelic highs, and wraps up with a "Casey Jones"/"Sugar Magnolia"/"One More Saturday Night" finale that'll have you wondering why you wore a tie in the first place. Hooray for Hollywood, indeed.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Owsley Stanley and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Oh, and it ships next week so you'll wanna grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

Thinking about it, King Crimson have also had quite a few of their live shows released over the years, too. Mainly tucked away in era defining box sets.

• jonathan918@GD

Yes, they have released a bunch of shows, maybe even a few tours.

Fantastic band to see live!!!

• Colin Gould

I was reading the latest issue of Mojo magazine which has an article about Pearl Jam. They have, apparently, issued around 500 official bootlegs of their concerts. Who knew?

• jonathan918@GD

I agree!

It's truly amazing, and you're right, no other band can provide this kind of enjoyment for fans, or build a legacy like this.

I was a little late to the party. I started getting tapes in 1988 from my older brother, but didn't make a show until 1991.

I always thought more would come out, especially after One From The Fault was released, but i never imagined it would be like this!!

A lucky bunch, we are!!

• daverock

It's truly astonishing when you stop and think about all the live shows that have been released over the last 30 years. I never expected all this when I started collecting their official releases back in the 70's. No other rock band could stand such a schedule.

• jonathan918@GD

Gave #46 a spin tonight and was absouletly blown away!

Fantastic sound. Fantastic performance.

It's releases like this and the current #49 Frost show, that gives me faith there is plenty more gold to mine in the vault

Rock on, gang

• Oroborous

Goodnight Gracie lol

• dmcvt

Just went up a few ago

• bluecrow

BigBrownie - Estimated > Franklins > Jam from 12/4/79 was filler on DaP 31 Uptown 12/3/79. The Shakedown that opened Set II on 12/4 appears to have a gap in SBD so not usable. (Edit - oops, my mistake, Shakedown opened Set II on 12/5).

I'm all in on this pick from the Kiel. Completely unfamiliar with it but I know that I really dig Fall '79. There are some very favorable reviews on archive, including one from the "legendary" capn doubledose. I know DaP 31 doesn't get much love, but it was my second show and its always a fun listen for me - spun it on a drive just last week. Just gonna say that the Jack-A-Roe is my favorite outside of those early '77 versions - Jerry's solo is exquisite. It is a puzzle that 12/1 hasn't been released but so be it. I mean, what about Gainesville? One thing's for sure, basically every release is a surprise to me. Sometime its something that's on my wish list, sometimes not, but always a surprise.

• bigbrownie

has a Space>NFA>Stella>Sugar US Blues tacked on at the end. That looks like 12/04 Uptown Theater in Chicago.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 1 month

Golden era Grateful Dead in the most golden city in the Golden State? Yes, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 46 features the complete unreleased show from the Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, 9/9/72. Loosen that tie, this ain't a red carpet rodeo - it's the after party that legends are made of. Consistently excellent from start to finish, this West Coast groove showcases tracks that would soon debut on EUROPE '72, solo material from both Jerry and Bob, a riveting iteration of "China>Rider," a couple of Chuck Berry doozies, a bonkers 35-plus "Other One" that hits all the psychedelic highs, and wraps up with a "Casey Jones"/"Sugar Magnolia"/"One More Saturday Night" finale that'll have you wondering why you wore a tie in the first place. Hooray for Hollywood, indeed.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Owsley Stanley and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Oh, and it ships next week so you'll wanna grab a copy while you can.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

Are you guys up there burning Leafs jerseys again? Please cease and desist. We don’t need any more smoke.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

Everyone OUTSIDE of Toronto up here hates the Leafs (and Toronto) passionately, so that hazy smoky sky we are experiencing is from anywhere but here.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Nick1234

Very sorry to read about Tony McPhee. Split was my favourite album of theirs by some distance. Curiously I felt like playing it last night - I didn't, but I'll put it on later today. The Groundhogs were great live, too. I was amazed the first time I saw them that Tony could play all those extraordinary guitar sounds heard on Split on stage. He was also more earthed in the blues than most of his more celebrated contemporaries, backing John Lee Hooker, with The Groundhogs, in the mid 60's. A great and underrated musician.
I don't like it as much as"Split" but "Thank Christ For The Bomb" has always been one of my favourite album titles.

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

The Groundhogs are a perfect example of a band that didn’t make the leap from U.K. to US.
A great guitarist, and a great band. I only knew a small handful of people who knew/liked the band. But only because of a lack of exposure. And that goes west to east also. These bands just didn’t quite make it in a ‘world’ context. The only album I owned was “Split”, and I loved it.
I would put Family, Taste, Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band & many, many others in this category.
Going west to east, Grand Funk Railroad, Rare Earth, Molly Hatchet and hundreds of others.
This even is the case just going from one country to another.

I guess my point is that we miss out on a LOT of music just because of where we are born.
Now this crowd I say is MUCH more aware than your average music listener, but we still miss out on a lot from one side of the Atlantic to the other. I’m always going to lack exposure to a LOT of great bands, but it doesn’t mean I HAVE to. I just gotta poke around.

After all, Music IS the Best!!

user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

Grand Funk Railroad was a great band? LMAO...............

Off to morgue, I think I heard the corpses laughing a bit as well...............

Doc
When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have.......

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

Grand Funk is another example of that Thing some of us was talking about a little while back, ie how the rock critics of the early ‘70s despised a lot of bands that were really popular among “the kids.” Grand Funk was HUMONGOUS at my junior high school. I think somebody gave me E Pluribus Funk at my 13th birthday party. If you just wanted to boogie, well, they boogied. They had #1 hit singles. They sold out Shea Stadium (and unlike those wimpy Beatles, only took a couple days to do it.) They were Homer Simpson’s favorite band of all time. They were comin to your town, they were gonna help you party it down. They were an American band.

A pretty shitty one, though, with benefit of hindsight and no longer being 13 years old. Some of the early ‘70s Bands That Kids Liked But Critics Hated have stood the test of time surprisingly well, most notably Sabbath and Zeppelin. Some have earned a grudging respect, like Kiss and Alice Cooper. But the critical disdain for Grand Funk has never wavered. Which is kind of surprising, given that even disco (mindless boogie music if ever there was) has gone through a popular revival or two and gets a fair amount of respect these days. You’d think some contrarian critic out there would make the case for them as a great band, but no. Maybe because … they weren’t?

Anyway, we know Phil Lesh didn’t like ‘em. On one of the shows in the St Louis box, I forget which, Phil calls out the Funk. I can’t remember what he says exactly but IIRC Bobby is going on with one of his “take a step back”" raps and Phil butts in to say something to the effect that if everybody doesn’t behave the Dead won’t be able to play there anymore “and you’ll have to listen to Grand Funk Railroad.” I think I remember that, anyway. These days I remember a lot of things that didn’t actually happen.

Anybody else out there listen to the Good Ol’ Grateful Deadcast? At the end of the current ‘season’ of episodes about the shows in the HCS box, Jesse Jarnow says something about lingering for a moment in the spring of ’73 before moving on to the summer. Is that a hint that they’re about to (finally!) release Watkins Glen? Does the fact that the HCS box includes a jam with some Allman Bros indicate they may have worked out the legal difficulties that may have held up a release in the past? Did Jesse Jarnow even say that, or am I remembering another thing that never happened? Is anyone still reading this?

Last five:
Lee Morgan: Lee Way
ABB: Nassau Coliseum ‘73
Captain Beefheart: Lick My Decals Off Baby
Little Feat: Valentines Day Massacre
Jimmy Smith: House Party

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Boy, Rare Earth - a great band that slipped my memory. I remember buying their Motown records singles, they were quite popular on AM radio in the late 60s. I also owned Grand Funk’s “We’re An American Band” on gold vinyl, which I thought was pretty hot stuff at the time.

Last 5
Phish - Bittersweet Motel (DVD)
Frisell - Disfarmer (DVD)
Charles Lloyd - Forest Flower (great summer jazz, and a first rate band)
Dylan - Shadow Kingdom (Bob in great voice)
Nils Lofgren - Nils Sings Neil (better than you might expect for an album of covers)

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I had that album with We're An American Band in high school. Sold off a ton of albums in college as trade ins at a great record store in Ft. Collins. I imagine that's where that one went. I think it came with a giant sticker? Crow's comments reminded me of watching Foreigner on some PBS begging show recently. Never followed them other than recognizing that about everything they played was some huge commercial hit. Tons of them. Listening to that stuff now I was watching the lead guitarist and going, meh. The other striking thing was how the new lead singer, Kelly Hansen who is very good, sounds exactly like the original guy, Lou Gramm(?). I think they even had some of the old band members on that show too. We've talked about such reissued bands here to some degree. The We're Near Death Now Tour types too. What do they do, sell the rights to the name of the band when there are no longer any original members? Still keeping royalties for their families? The hits just keep on rolling, in wheelchairs.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Grand Funk often seemed to be lumped in with Black Sabbath in the British press and written off as being rubbish in the same way. But like I said a few weeks ago, the music press in the 70's were often about 5 years out of date - I liked Sabbath, and I assumed I would Grand Funk, too. But apart from two singles "We're An American Band " and "Locomotion". I never heard anything by them. Even then, I knew these couldn't be representative. Not having infinite funds I never got round to buying an album by them.
Until about 6 years ago, when I was 60. I got the box set "A Trunk of Funk" which consists of their first 6 albums. Taken on their own terms, which is the only way of evaluating a band, I thought they were great. A lot more soulful than I was expecting with a great drum and bass sound. Nothing remotely like Black Sabbath. If there was an British equivalent, I would say it was Humble Pie - but to me Grand Funk were better at what they did.
That's a disappointing comment from Phil, dissing the band on that official release. You wouldn't really expect him to like them - I shouldn't think he liked Iggy and The Stooges either. But to diss a much younger band when you are on stage is never a good look.

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

While I my head is on right, temporary, I wanted to say how much those 82 Greek shows mean to me. Can only imagine being there. Sure hope there are Greek & Ventura shows released sometime soon.

Also, Are you a pro football or college football fan or both?

We have some awesome barbq around here; you know, south of the Manson-Nixon line. Probably some responsibility for my poor circulation. Over the years beef brisket has supplanted pork for me with great chicken being next. My family has an old chicken sauce that I love using when I put chickens on the ole Weber grill. Planning on doing that on Friday as it is most likely the last time we will be in the 50's for lows until fall. We have had the best spring ever. Usually by now, we are consistently in the mid 90's with lows approaching low 70's every night. By August lows are consistently in upper 70's with oppressive humidity. People wonder why I love fall and spring so much. Nothing like living close to the great bathtub below. Sure hope the gulf is only slowly heating up.

G

user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

… I’m getting Ready for the next 1979 Dave Picks!!! I Love Dave’s Pick #31. Primo performance and Audio Quality! The only 79’ pick in the series.
Anyone else want another 79’ Primo Performance to be released in the series???
More importantly a 79’ Boxset will be fantastic!! ;)
I can list some primo concerts, some incredible arrangements during certain songs,concerts and the band’s members beautiful playing skills& how they performed with each other as a unit. And also the main reason for celebration is “Brent joined the band full time with Keith and Donna gone. I whole new creation acured due to Brent becoming of the ‘Unit’ , team player & grand force as time went by until the band and Brent turned full circle because they found themselves & created a new sound , and further more an example of how the dead made music! Ahh I’m rabble, forgive me. Have a grateful day everyone and peace be with you All! & don’t forget to “smile smile smile”!!!
Be safe be kind and celebrate life with the music of the grateful dead as a soundtrack to your life. With your ups and downs you’ll never be left down! Keep on truck’n! 1979 Dead Primo! ❤️💀🌹🙏
… Anyone else believe,Want and think it’s Time-for Another “New Years” Performance Release?’?! Ido! Will do, time will tell ;) Listening to 9/2/79 ! WOW! Another primo concert and performance by the entire band members. Bobs vocals are kicking & Jerry is so intense and in very FINE Vocals & primo guitar.playing! he sucks you in for a far out experience & fide as Brent is right there beside him! They are both tuned into each other! Beautiful! The whole band is on the money! Rock on!

Haha, Molly Hatchet, saw them in 1979.

First song in the cassette deck when I got it installed in the 1968 lifted Jeep Pick-Up, Blackfoot's Train Train.

Never thought in a million years I would be posting that or that I would see a reference to Grand Funk or especially, Molly Hatchet. I think it was Blackfoot opening for Molly Hatchet seems like fall of 79, or spring of 80. Of course, there was also 38 special which played here around, and at the same time was the Rock n Roll Marathon with Angel, Mother's Finest, Humble Pie, and Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush. It was a hellofa party, but as a concert it was slightly above average. Should have been called Drugs n Roll Marathon.

I too am remembering things that did not happen. About to interview a gentleman that just stepped down from a major tier 1 Hospital, and when talking about it with on the phone, I asked, "didn't you say a few years back that if we do not get health insurance right, even this hospital would be closed in 10 years." He said, "I never said that."

Now I am researching local news to see if I can find the quote.

Yeah, my life is pretty boring sometimes.

But hey, it is 420 somewhere

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

Years ago in Vail at a Kid Rock concert (note: I do not agree with his politics, but he throws a hell of a party), Detroit native Bobby Ritchie covers, among others, ZZ Top's "Tush" as well as GF's "We're An American Band."

Rock has at least one woman in his band, his drummer, and when the whole ensemble got to the chorus, they sang, "We're an American band.... we're an American band... we're coming to your town, we'll pull your panties down, we're an American band!"

It was the fucking coolest. Now I am married and I'm no misogynist, and I find a party anthem like that to be awesome. The song is from the 70s, and there were a lot of panties being pulled down (willingly) by traveling bands. Alas, different times.

Personally I find the British royalty of bands to be superior to the Yanks in an overall matchup. I mean, you cannot beat the Beatles, Stones, Deep Purple, Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd by any measure. And that's leaving out The Who!

The best of the west would have to be Aerosmith, ZZ Top, Van Halen, the Doors, Tom Petty, and possibly Guns N' Roses. I suppose one could stand up for the good ol' Grateful Dead as well... but they are just such their own thing they almost defy classification.

All good. Turn it up!

\m/

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by LedDed

American rock n' roll and blues from the 1950's - starting with Muddy Waters and John Lee Hooker in the late 1940's, up until..the British invasion of about 1963. It never grows old.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

Hey Gary, 1982 Greek was a blast, hopefully we will get a box set from the Greek Theatre . Nappy was also there, and Im sure allot of other folks who post here were. I feel very lucky to have been around at a time when I could hear Jerry Garcia and the Dead. Also musicians like, B.B. King, Muddy Waters, Albert Collins, Bill Monroe, Ralph Stanley, Merle Haggard, and on and on and on.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

6-7-77
It’s the anniversary.

A band that rocks and is not from the U.S or Britain:

RUSH

Full disclosure: I like Rush songs up to the mid-80’s or so, then lost interest in new songs, but saw them live 3 times (90, 91, 94) and had a great time each time.
If you can find the Rush 6 Blu-ray Box it is awesome.

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

Just for the record, I said the Groundhogs were a great band with a great guitarist.
Greatness is in the ears of the beholder I suppose. I did LOVE GFR as a kid becoming a teenager, and love listening occasionally, even today. Would never consider them a great band, but they filled a big hole for me when the Beatles broke up, along with Led Zep, Black Sabbath and Deep Purple.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

....because it's been a minute.
Black Sabbath - Vol 4. (current, because I was just reminded)
TOOL - Fear Inoculum
King Gizzard - L.W.
George Harrison - Dark Horse
MercyMe - Almost There (Christian band. I like them).
King Gizzard - Gumboot Soup
The Gizz is dropping a new record in a week.
Super Duper into them currently.
They just finished a run of shows at The Caverns in TN. Venue looks cool. Any of you been there?
Anyways. They played one of those shows in drag. Because, you know, drag queens are a hot topic to some not so smart people. Especially in TN and MT it seems. Vague laws are suspect to me.
And I was raised on glam metal.
But some judges are standing up and calling them unconstitutional. Yet, the cow is out of the barn, so too late to backpedal.
Rock on. And if dudes in dresses, makeup and glitter gets you all riled up, you really need to re-center your compass and focus on more important things and stop trying to be America's babysitters. The kids are going to be alright. Thanks.
Minor rant over.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

Many of the best rock bands annoyed the previous generation of fans - it was a positive sign of development to do so. And music changed at an exponential rate between say, 1965 and 1975. If you were into rhythm and blues, you could have been alienated by psychedelia, if you liked that - you could be thrown off by Sabbath or GFR, if you like that, by glam then by punk etc etc. If you understand any of those you can see the good and the not so good in each genre. If you don't understand it - it all sounds bad. Like hip hop does to me. Not understanding all we see - we aren't always qualified to judge.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Bill Foley, majority owner of the Vegas Golden Knights, is a billionaire businessman who grew up in Texas in a family that had been ranchers for generations. He spent time in Ottawa when his dad, a member of the U.S. Air Force, was stationed there. He picked up a love of hockey in those years in Canada. I therefore consider Mr Foley an honorary Canadian, and the Knights as Canada’s 8th franchise, much like George Martin was the 5th Beatles. Go Knights! See Jack - Canadaland is not out of this yet!

DaveRock- Great points. Every genre did seem to almost be a reaction to a previous one, and often with a touch of scorn, on the side.

Ok, I do have one Bill Frisell album I don’t like - at all. “Silent Comedy”, which is akin to Lou Reed’s Metal Machine Music, or Neil Young’s Arc, both which never should have seen the light of day. Produced by John Zorn, whose music is highly overrated, this one by Frisell is DOA, and I keep it only as a completist. Why in the world would anyone think it is ok to release such a piece of shit as these three albums. I had a friend in school who was apoplectic when Reed released Metal Machine Music, and I get it.
Does anyone have a band or performer they love who released something so out of left field, you wanted to use the thing for skeet shooting? “Pull!!!”

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 8 months

I seemed to have developed an obsession with Steve Stills Manassas. Not the yee haw country stuff but the rest is really excellent, up there with Gene Clark's No Other. I really couldn't stand it back in the 70s but with age I've learnt to love it.

I haven't been able to play Groundhog's Split since Tony McPhee left us. My wife's not in the best mood lately, it could tip her over the edge. It feels weird when your heroes from your teenage years die after a fall at home. I can't imagine Tony as an old man. Actually that's not true, he seemed somehow somewhere beyond all his contemporaries back then.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by That Mike

I never liked David Bowie's " Young Americans". The 6 before that, from the one known as "Space Oddity" up to "Diamond Dogs" I thought were brilliant - one or the other would have been daily listening for me in my mid teens, and I still like them. But I still don't like "Young Americans". I liked the ones after, though, from "Station To Station" up to "Scary Monsters".

According to Michael Messer, maybe the main authority on slide guitar in Britain, Tony McPhee was the first Englishman to perform acoustic slide blues to any sort of audience, back in the early 1960's. His approach was different than every other blues guitarist I heard from this fair land. More John Lee Hooker and Son House inspired than the rest of the pack. Powerful and original.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

48 years ago today, I was up at El Camino Park in Palo Alto to see a super cool show with Jerry Garcia, Merle Saunders & Kingfish. Small little park, the Dead played there in June 1967. My brother's friend made the poster for the show, you can see it online, just type in 6/8/75 Jerry Garcia and it should come up. Anyway, it was a blast!

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

Snoop Dogg is bringing his big troupe to town this fall. Tickets go on sale tomorrow, of course. Kind of like seeing Kid Rock, if I were to go it is totally for the party, the spectacle of it all. Crowd will be mostly honkies, like me. Although deep down south, our town fully integrated in 1955, so relations here are excellent. Dont believe stuff you hear on "news outlets." Not a huge fan of Snoop, but I do enjoy some of his funky grooves he lays down. If I buy a ticket, it will be the first moe ny I have sent to the Dogg. Well, except my cable bill.

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

In reply to by Vguy72

I have seen several shows at the Caverns. It is about 50 miles from here. Family used to own mountain home retreat up that way. Beautiful country.

It is about 4 stories underground holds around 1200, standing room only. Is 59 degrees year round, so it can be chilly.

I have seen Govt. Mule there, and Blackberry Smoke, Dawes, STS 9, John Butler Trio, and Band of Horses. All very good shows, John Butler Trio was awesome.

Almost went to Flaming Lips, but couldn't work out the schedule...

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

I became a rush fan in the summer of 1977 when a friend of mine came home from military/private school up at Swanee TN, which is right close to the Caverns I just discussed. Yeah military school, all boys, uniform or business attire during the day, pot and mushrooms at night, not mushrooms for him, but for those that wanted.

So he encouraged me to buy 2112. Put on head phones and listened with a buzz. Changed my life in so many ways.

Was fortunate to see them on the Hemispheres Tour January 1979, then Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals twice (1982 and 1983, Nashville and Miami (Hollywood Sportatorium)), Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, Roll the Bones, and Test for Echoes (Charlotte NC). Hemispheres was in my home town, all other shows except 2 mentioned were in Nashville at the old Municipal Auditorium. A great sounding 9000 capacity arena.

Also saw a couple of incredible Yes shows at Municipal. 1984 on the 90125 and 1988 on Big Generator. A couple of months back yall were discussing sound systems that could compete with GD. There was discussion of Pink Floyd, which is true, saw 2 stadium shows. But Yes always had top notch sound. In 84 and 88 we were dosed to the gills. The sound was densely thick, powerful and intense. In 1984, they had the best laser show I ever saw. They were using state of the art technology, called an imaging or 3d screen. It was hung from the ceiling about 80% to the back wall. As the lasers went thru the screen it all became like a 3d hologram. It was so intense. They did all sorts of patterns but at one point they were spelling out YES, and it was spinning above our heads in 3d. It was like the words YES were moving on a plane in a vertical 360 degree loop. At first, we freaked out, so high, as it looked like the YES was about to hit us in the head. The Big Generator, no 3d lasers, but was still I think musically, a better show.

OK enough of that.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....I've read that the floor is flat and the stage is short, so if you are on the shorter side, it may be difficult to see the band.
I'm 6'4", so that's never a problem for me lol.
Go Knights Go!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Did I hear them say FLA is 0 for 11 on powerplays in the playoffs?
Knights score on 2 this game.
Cheers

Post game edit:
It was the announcers who jinxed it. I was no where near aisle 3 Irv!

user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

...and I may have sighted my DaP46! Six weeks after the initial shipping notification and a month after that shipment was lost, a replacement copy has been sent. The tracking info says it's presently at the stage of being handed off from UPS->USPS, which was the last update recorded for my lost shipment, so hopefully this time things go smoothly.

I've been hesitant to read too many reviews & impressions for this 9/9/72 show since I wanted to listen to it and form my own opinion, but I gathered that people were a bit underwhelmed overall...? In any case, I've got 9/24/72 going right now as a substitute, and I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

....all good things in all good time 🤜🤛.
Myself? Definitely not underwhelmed. It's a good pick.
It's been playing in my car for a week.
Didn't include it in my last last 5, because it's stops and starts.
Overtime in a Stanley Cup finals game is arguably the pinnacle of pro sports. Signed - Vguy.

I appreciate the kind sentiments. And that's good to hear re: DaP46. I've been really digging into 1972 GD for the past few months. I know what a good year it was and how highly regarded it is, yet it just seems like I am always distracted by shiny objects - the lengthy Dark Stars of 1973, the massive PitBs in the first half of '74 - somehow I think I've done a criminal disservice to the '72 shows in my collection.

But I started looking at how many official releases there are just from September '72. As well, I've still never heard all of the Europe tour... I've had my tapes that I wore out like 4/8 and 5/26, but a lot of the stuff in the middle is still new to my ears. Suffice to say, my mind has expanded and then some... and I ain't done yet.

And it only just hit me that your profile pic is a Golden Knights logo. I grew up going to the Fabulous Form to see the Kings. I remember the Gretzky trade, that place went from drawing a few thousand hardy fans a night to sellouts. OT playoff hockey?! Heck yes!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I still haven't pulled the trigger on the Sunshine Daydream Box. I have every box since Spring 90 TOO, so i dont know what's holding me back. '73 is my favorite year too. Perhaps i've reached the saturation point of high quality shows. I remember knowing every crevice of certain shows and now i'm pleasantly surprised every time I put one on. I suppose I should get this just for Kezar and the RFK shows though.

Im seeing King Gizz this sunday at the salt shed in Chicago. My first visit to this venue, which looks pretty sweet. I saw them last Oct at Radius on the south side. A few tracks I really liked. A few didn't do it for me. But I like their approach.

Zorn overrated!? First i've heard of that. Yes, some of the book of angels can get repetitive, but writing 300 songs around the same scale can do that. Naked City to me defines the downtown scene, and the musicians he's worked with indicate that he's highly respected. What about him don't you like Mike? Just curious. Gnostic Preludes I is one of my top 5 all time records. Frisell is perfect for that one. The Dreamers group is awesome too. As is Simulcrum with Medeski and Hollenberg.

As for Frisell I've always liked Gone, Just Like a Train, Unspeakable, Histories Mysteries.

Back to lurking...

Hey Billy, we were probably rubbing shoulders again! I was at that Jerry Garcia Band show at El Camino Park, too! I remember it not being too crowded. I recorded the show with one mic attached to a broom stick! Still have that recording, outta dig it out!

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Hey Oro, I'm having difficulties with my 'hi fi' also. I could use some help. nitecat

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Slow Dog - I’m not sure what exactly it is about Zorn’s music I cannot connect with, however you mention Naked City, and I did like that, but a lot of that are his wild takes on film scores. It’s not that I don’t have a taste for anything that doesn’t sound like “She loves you yea yea yea”, because I’m a big fan of Ornette Coleman, Eric Dolphy, and even a Zorn label mate, Mary Halvorson.
I just cannot get over that hurdle on his music, and I know Frisell is a fan, but “Silent Comedy” frankly blew, and that circles back to Zorn. As for the rest of Frisell’s catalogue - gold.

VGuy - Losing last night was ok, because as Jack so astutely mentioned previously, that means (a chance) to win it at home. I missed when the Jays won it here, and the Raptors, and the Leafs, well, I was 10, but I did see it on TV. To win in front of the home crowd would be a party for the ages.

user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

…I just have to say I can’t believe nobody here wouldn’t Love to have another 79’pick /performance in the Dave’s picks series or even maybe a 1979 Boxset for a future release. Im a huge fan of 1979 as most folks here may have. Noticed by now. Lol I love 79’Dead! Am I all alone for more 1979’ ?!?!!??!!???!??!!!??!!!??!!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

A Sunday on The Rocks.
Who's the new guy with the long hair?
Damn, he's good.
Really good seats, sound was perfect.
Solid, lively show.
That's all I remember so I must have been there.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

....tix currently going for a grand.
Will go down right after puck drop though. I may go to the arena and hang out in front with phone in hand.
Last game here, prices were $600, but dropped to around $250 after puck drop.

A grand well spent. I know it’s crazy money, VGuy, but what an event. Eu-phoria!
The closest I have been to any championship game was the Canadian football final (Grey Cup) 40+ years ago, which was great, because Warren Moon was playing, before his great NFL career.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by That Mike

A happy little show

Bob Ross would approve

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by proudfoot

....Trivium and Beartooth. Plus another couple of opening bands at the Brooklyn Bowl. My favorite venue in Vegas. And The Sphere is within spitting distance.
Purchased tix a couple of months ago. Was worried about timing, however....
Doors are at 5:30. Figured I'll hang out outside the venue during the hockey game.
The Bowl sits in a very cool promenade with cool restaurants and screens galore. Unless the game goes into double overtime, I'm good to go regarding the two top bills.
Trivium is a band I enjoy and I'm not going to pass on seeing them again.
They've played Vegas twice and I didn't go. One time opening for Lamb Of God and Megadeth.
Music is the best. Especially live.
Tix $60.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

Too bad there's no tape of this show, I would really like to hear it.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Just back from two weeks in Jersey. I don't read or do email while away. Wow, a ton of stuff went by!

A couple of things -

That Mike - I have the Grand Funk 45 in gold also,,, it was hot shit back in the day!

Vguy - Vague laws are suspect to me. Spencer Tracy says in Inherit the Wind....

I say that you cannot administer a wicked law impartially. You can only destroy, you can only punish. And I warn you, that a wicked law, like cholera, destroys every one it touches. Its upholders as well as its defiers.

Great movie!

People remembering things that didn't happen. It's called confabulation.

Check out Everlounge's "Confabultion". Fun song.

Dave - Gen A talking about Gen B's music choices. Same is true about generational differences. No matter where or when the older generation KNOWS the new generation is going to hell in a handbasket. (guess a phase like that makes me into a real old generation.) These kids today......

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

1/10 and 1/20 would make a great Dave’s
1/15 has a fantastic second set sequence
2/4, especially as part of the Great Dane box I’ve lobbied for
2/17, and like BTK lobbies, would pair nice with 4/22/79
8-4 through 9/2 has some possibilities (not familiar with MSGs yet?)
The Nassau run especially perhaps 10/31
All of 11/9
11/25 has a great jam, actually many of these have cool jams…
11/29
But the big double dog dare must have 79s should be 11/30 and 12/1!!
Those are just the ones I know of….sure there’s more, prolly in the fall…

Nitecats has good Auds to make matrix’s 😉

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Not been around much due to schedule, but I’ll be checking in this WE so lay it on me brother, what seems to be the problem?

GO Nuggies! Aaaaaaannnddddd, the Goooooolllldddeeeen Kiniggits!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-46-hollywood-palladium-los-angeles-ca-9972/081227834593.html