• 1,210 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Golden era Grateful Dead in the most golden city in the Golden State? Yes, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 46 features the complete unreleased show from the Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, 9/9/72. Loosen that tie, this ain't a red carpet rodeo - it's the after party that legends are made of. Consistently excellent from start to finish, this West Coast groove showcases tracks that would soon debut on EUROPE '72, solo material from both Jerry and Bob, a riveting iteration of "China>Rider," a couple of Chuck Berry doozies, a bonkers 35-plus "Other One" that hits all the psychedelic highs, and wraps up with a "Casey Jones"/"Sugar Magnolia"/"One More Saturday Night" finale that'll have you wondering why you wore a tie in the first place. Hooray for Hollywood, indeed.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Owsley Stanley and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Oh, and it ships next week so you'll wanna grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

Thinking about it, King Crimson have also had quite a few of their live shows released over the years, too. Mainly tucked away in era defining box sets.

• jonathan918@GD

Yes, they have released a bunch of shows, maybe even a few tours.

Fantastic band to see live!!!

• Colin Gould

I was reading the latest issue of Mojo magazine which has an article about Pearl Jam. They have, apparently, issued around 500 official bootlegs of their concerts. Who knew?

• jonathan918@GD

I agree!

It's truly amazing, and you're right, no other band can provide this kind of enjoyment for fans, or build a legacy like this.

I was a little late to the party. I started getting tapes in 1988 from my older brother, but didn't make a show until 1991.

I always thought more would come out, especially after One From The Fault was released, but i never imagined it would be like this!!

A lucky bunch, we are!!

• daverock

It's truly astonishing when you stop and think about all the live shows that have been released over the last 30 years. I never expected all this when I started collecting their official releases back in the 70's. No other rock band could stand such a schedule.

• jonathan918@GD

Gave #46 a spin tonight and was absouletly blown away!

Fantastic sound. Fantastic performance.

It's releases like this and the current #49 Frost show, that gives me faith there is plenty more gold to mine in the vault

Rock on, gang

• Oroborous

Goodnight Gracie lol

• dmcvt

Just went up a few ago

• bluecrow

BigBrownie - Estimated > Franklins > Jam from 12/4/79 was filler on DaP 31 Uptown 12/3/79. The Shakedown that opened Set II on 12/4 appears to have a gap in SBD so not usable. (Edit - oops, my mistake, Shakedown opened Set II on 12/5).

I'm all in on this pick from the Kiel. Completely unfamiliar with it but I know that I really dig Fall '79. There are some very favorable reviews on archive, including one from the "legendary" capn doubledose. I know DaP 31 doesn't get much love, but it was my second show and its always a fun listen for me - spun it on a drive just last week. Just gonna say that the Jack-A-Roe is my favorite outside of those early '77 versions - Jerry's solo is exquisite. It is a puzzle that 12/1 hasn't been released but so be it. I mean, what about Gainesville? One thing's for sure, basically every release is a surprise to me. Sometime its something that's on my wish list, sometimes not, but always a surprise.

• bigbrownie

has a Space>NFA>Stella>Sugar US Blues tacked on at the end. That looks like 12/04 Uptown Theater in Chicago.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 1 month

Golden era Grateful Dead in the most golden city in the Golden State? Yes, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 46 features the complete unreleased show from the Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, 9/9/72. Loosen that tie, this ain't a red carpet rodeo - it's the after party that legends are made of. Consistently excellent from start to finish, this West Coast groove showcases tracks that would soon debut on EUROPE '72, solo material from both Jerry and Bob, a riveting iteration of "China>Rider," a couple of Chuck Berry doozies, a bonkers 35-plus "Other One" that hits all the psychedelic highs, and wraps up with a "Casey Jones"/"Sugar Magnolia"/"One More Saturday Night" finale that'll have you wondering why you wore a tie in the first place. Hooray for Hollywood, indeed.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Owsley Stanley and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Oh, and it ships next week so you'll wanna grab a copy while you can.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by daverock

....and they did play Dark Star there in '73. I had to double check myself to be sure I didn't dream it.
Here Comes Sunshine box in hand.
Ohhh boy.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

BFD

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by adedhed68

....speaking of BFD's, I just stumbled on a band called Tropical Fuck Storm.
TFS.
Australia 🇦🇺 making plays!
Last Five material.

Vguy -You dreamed it - no '73 SLC Dark Star. And, if its the Dark Star on DiP28 you're thinking of, that is from Lincoln, NE. Like Drpryan said, the Dark Star - the full show - from 4/12/69 at the Student Union Ballroom, U of U is a real good un.

Dead performed the song Salt Lake City once, 2/21/95. Strider was there. Show released in the 30 Trips box. Beautiful Foolish Heart and first Visions of Johanna since the pair in '86.

Check it out. Great show.

Synchronicity:

"The Race Is On" played while I crawled through traffic in Portland OR. The thing is, I was right by Portland Meadows, a horse racing track.

That was cool.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

about Great Salt Lake drying up

I've heard before about that but...timely given recent SLC mentions

user picture

Member for

11 years 9 months

The Great Salt Lake drying up has been an issue for some years now.

Your welcome

I'm still protesting over Garcia (50th Anniversary Edition) being released only on vinyl as I have no vinyl setup.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by stillwaters

....Hola from the southwest! 👋
In other news, my Phish Farmhouse LP is shipped and the latest archival release was announced today. 6.16.00 Osaka, Japan 🇯🇵. Comes out Friday.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

....if Dave Lemieux and Kevin Shapiro hang out and share notes.
The archivists of my top 2 bands. Pumping out righteous tunes.
Currently watching Evil Dead Rise.
Give me your best shot. I can take it. Dogs and son are out.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Your welcome. Glad you enjoyed the Healy interview. That was shot in a balcony storage area. The Hunter interview, Constanten interview and Cipollina interviews have been very popular also.

You might also enjoy the Dead Head TV Ice Cream Kids.

DreamsWeDreamed dot com.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by nitecat

“I want my Dead TV”.

I’ve watched everything you mentioned.
Good stuff! Thanks again.
And a late-80’s flashback of clothing, cars, hair cuts…..

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Yeah the “culture” time capsule is one of my favorite parts!
Looking forward to a another binge soon!
Keep ‘em coming brother…

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Oroborous

....after owning a smartphone since 2011, I'm finally a member of the cracked screen club. Fell literally two feet off my end table, and yes. It has a case. Booooo!

user picture

Member for

4 years 2 months

re: your HBD wishes.... I've been a-Head since my first show in '82 (can't get enough) ... but re: Phish, I've seen them at Jazzfest, and was just listening to my only Phish CD, a live one. Love alot of it ... if you're in the know, what other Phish releases would you recommend ... no pressure, just looking for some advice ...I think I have a DVD of a show they did back east as well. thx man!.....tcc

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by topchinacat

Hampton Comes Alive

That and A Live One are the extent of my Phish collection

HCA...nice stuff, I must say

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by proudfoot

....New Years '95 and Vegas '96. Clifford Ball. And, of course Hampton.
Anything between 1994 and 1999 gets my blood pumping.
If you want a good laugh, watch Phish shreds IT on you toob.

You mentioned a couple of weeks back that you had watched Phish's Live in Brooklyn DVD. Wanted to post that is a huge part of my yearly rotation. Listen to it 2-3/year. Just an awesome performance, just one of many I had a chance to see but was too busy at work to go. The last time I was in the Hampton Coliseum was for the recording of Hampton Comes Alive. Think, from memory, it was Cincy, Murfreesboro, and Hampton. A fun little jaunt. All three were wild. Saw Phish first time in November of 1995. A Live One also a great recording. Hard to believe but 2023 marks their 40th anniversary as a band. Happy anniversary Phish!!! Love you guys, get a couple of shows in next few weeks, and then maybe Nashville. Fall dates announced.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Other fun videos on DTV:
Merle Saunders
Frost 1988
Kaiser 1988
Hunter Music Video "Bone Alley"
Greeks 1988
Laguna Seca 1988
Gambling themes in lyrics
American Pastimes: Baseball and the Dead
Walking Tour of Haight Ashbury
Dead Head Profiles

I've been enjoying these, Scott. Thanks so much for going through the trouble to clean these up and get them out there.

Evokes some great memories.. in the days before internet (at least as we know it now), social media and cell phones.. when Duprees Diamond News was how a lot of us figured out what was going on during the shows we could not attend, this looks like it was put together about this time. I have never seen any of it before.

Thanks again.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Glad to hear you are enjoying it. When I was producing and directing the show, I tried to make a show I would like to watch, an intelligent comment on the scene, show highlights, tour highlights, what a venue that I could not attend was like. I'd be interested in interviews with people involved in the Dead sphere, and with deadheads themselves, because they seemed to be interesting people. That's why we did "Deadhead Profiles". I felt like the straight media at the time was missing how cool the scene and the deadheads were, and as a professional journalist I could tell the story better, at least from a informed deadhead's perspective. What was amazing is it took off like a rocket, and we soon had all sorts of deadhead friends contributing to the show.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

a whole lotta FZ guitar solos on U toob.

Fan
Ta
Stick

stuff

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Indeed!

Scooby roooooooo!

for the Phish recs ... I'm going for the Hampton Comes Alive !!! but as the 73 box set arrives tomorrow (in theory), it may just have to wait a bit longer! Thank again all .......tcc

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Damn PF, yer hitting all my faces : )

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

I have the good fortune of living close enough to hear it all pretty well

Anyone else at Eugene 93 when IG opened?

:)))

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Autocorrect...

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

These two shows released together would make a great stand alone release.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

Not faces, Damn auto correct, lol
But no error on the calendar cause it’s Fry Yea
Woo hoo

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

Love 'em

They could also be part of a

GD 1969 BOX SET!!!

Whaddya say, PTB?

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Oroborous

....Phish Farmhouse vinyl, shipped. Dog treats and chews, shipped. (Oops. You probably don't care about that). Vegas hit a record yesterday. 293 consecutive days without reaching 100 degrees. That ends today. 110 by Sunday. Yay!!

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

5 11 72
7 29 74
2 14 68
June 76 discs
The new box set (when it arrives...I am so wooded for that box...probably will arrive Monday...patience, PF. Patience.)

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Yer starting to scare me lol
5/11/72 and 2/14/68, more favs!

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

"Grate minds think alike"

Haha...ha...

You do have good GD taste, my man

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Make sure that Stanley Cup wears its sunscreen, VGuy, in that 100+ heat. An SBF of 30 or more should suffice.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by That Mike

....live at Radio City Music Hall on Spotify.
GarciaLive 20 is also there if you can't wait for it to arrive in the mail.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

A gentle "Hmmm . . . ?" to the person here who told me that GL20 and the Sunshine Box could not arrive the same day, when I mused about how Grate that day would be, if it happened. :)

Be kind, rewind.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-46-hollywood-palladium-los-angeles-ca-9972/081227834593.html