• 1,210 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Golden era Grateful Dead in the most golden city in the Golden State? Yes, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 46 features the complete unreleased show from the Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, 9/9/72. Loosen that tie, this ain't a red carpet rodeo - it's the after party that legends are made of. Consistently excellent from start to finish, this West Coast groove showcases tracks that would soon debut on EUROPE '72, solo material from both Jerry and Bob, a riveting iteration of "China>Rider," a couple of Chuck Berry doozies, a bonkers 35-plus "Other One" that hits all the psychedelic highs, and wraps up with a "Casey Jones"/"Sugar Magnolia"/"One More Saturday Night" finale that'll have you wondering why you wore a tie in the first place. Hooray for Hollywood, indeed.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Owsley Stanley and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Oh, and it ships next week so you'll wanna grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

Thinking about it, King Crimson have also had quite a few of their live shows released over the years, too. Mainly tucked away in era defining box sets.

• jonathan918@GD

Yes, they have released a bunch of shows, maybe even a few tours.

Fantastic band to see live!!!

• Colin Gould

I was reading the latest issue of Mojo magazine which has an article about Pearl Jam. They have, apparently, issued around 500 official bootlegs of their concerts. Who knew?

• jonathan918@GD

I agree!

It's truly amazing, and you're right, no other band can provide this kind of enjoyment for fans, or build a legacy like this.

I was a little late to the party. I started getting tapes in 1988 from my older brother, but didn't make a show until 1991.

I always thought more would come out, especially after One From The Fault was released, but i never imagined it would be like this!!

A lucky bunch, we are!!

• daverock

It's truly astonishing when you stop and think about all the live shows that have been released over the last 30 years. I never expected all this when I started collecting their official releases back in the 70's. No other rock band could stand such a schedule.

• jonathan918@GD

Gave #46 a spin tonight and was absouletly blown away!

Fantastic sound. Fantastic performance.

It's releases like this and the current #49 Frost show, that gives me faith there is plenty more gold to mine in the vault

Rock on, gang

• Oroborous

Goodnight Gracie lol

• dmcvt

Just went up a few ago

• bluecrow

BigBrownie - Estimated > Franklins > Jam from 12/4/79 was filler on DaP 31 Uptown 12/3/79. The Shakedown that opened Set II on 12/4 appears to have a gap in SBD so not usable. (Edit - oops, my mistake, Shakedown opened Set II on 12/5).

I'm all in on this pick from the Kiel. Completely unfamiliar with it but I know that I really dig Fall '79. There are some very favorable reviews on archive, including one from the "legendary" capn doubledose. I know DaP 31 doesn't get much love, but it was my second show and its always a fun listen for me - spun it on a drive just last week. Just gonna say that the Jack-A-Roe is my favorite outside of those early '77 versions - Jerry's solo is exquisite. It is a puzzle that 12/1 hasn't been released but so be it. I mean, what about Gainesville? One thing's for sure, basically every release is a surprise to me. Sometime its something that's on my wish list, sometimes not, but always a surprise.

• bigbrownie

has a Space>NFA>Stella>Sugar US Blues tacked on at the end. That looks like 12/04 Uptown Theater in Chicago.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 1 month

Golden era Grateful Dead in the most golden city in the Golden State? Yes, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 46 features the complete unreleased show from the Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, 9/9/72. Loosen that tie, this ain't a red carpet rodeo - it's the after party that legends are made of. Consistently excellent from start to finish, this West Coast groove showcases tracks that would soon debut on EUROPE '72, solo material from both Jerry and Bob, a riveting iteration of "China>Rider," a couple of Chuck Berry doozies, a bonkers 35-plus "Other One" that hits all the psychedelic highs, and wraps up with a "Casey Jones"/"Sugar Magnolia"/"One More Saturday Night" finale that'll have you wondering why you wore a tie in the first place. Hooray for Hollywood, indeed.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Owsley Stanley and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Oh, and it ships next week so you'll wanna grab a copy while you can.

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by Gary Farseer

Anticipation of replacement of that defective disc was heightened by significant number of automatic replies and rejected emails from wmg customer service. Marye had assured me she had put the request in soon after I contacted her, then about a week ago I had an email from a real person saying the disc was being sent out. Whats funny is that I am still getting automated messages from wmg that my request has been updated.
First Dead show was the March 73 concert at Baltimore Civic Center, w/ Wolfman Jack mc, brought a camera. Missed a couple of other DC area shows by moving to Maine in 1970. Summer 1973, made it to Watkins Glen where we set up a few feet behind where HendrixFreak was. Very first rock event, age fifteen, Jimi at the Washington Hilton ballroom, March 1968, where he was tackled by a college prankster wearing a chicken head mask and did not miss a note. Holy Crap, long time ago. On Long Island, Casco Bay today with old college buddy Andy waiting for fog to lift, go fishing.

Woooo whoooo, Nuggies AND the K niggits, two championships in 2 daze!
Congrates Vguy! What a game. Must of been ridiculous to be in the building!
It’s an awesome feeling to win, of course I would only know that from other teams as Bu faf still suffering the curse! Hey, at least the Leafs have won it numerous times, Bu faf has still never won anything…(well, lacrosse if ya count that?)
Being a Buffalo fan ain’t for pussies: watch that Bills/KC game where they lose in the last 13 seconds, then multiply times over 50 years…ummmhhhmmm…no bueno
So it’s nice to live vicariously and win one once in awhile ; )

Now that sports are effectively over for the time being, you may want to check out the Bill Walton 30 for 30 special on ESPN if you still need to get your fix.

I caught parts of episodes three and four last night between periods of the hockey game. Well worth my time.

Thanks for the clarity. I remember now you discussing some this stuff before. My egg is obviously scrambled. Just thought when the MSG box came out that you might have been the one with the Playing/Crazy as the first show. Oh well. What was it? Confabulation. Thanks for the write-up. Man what a great start to a musical life. Have a friend who saw Hendrix at the 1970 Atlanta Pop Festival. Was that Baltimore show released. Isnt there a dead release that has Wolfman introducing them? Or was that in 1971? My scrambled egg might be over-cooked.

VGuy Congrats!!! What a spectacle of domination that was. Florida looked fierce the first 10 minutes of the first game, then they looked way outmatched. Congrats to all the Knights, top to bottom. What a great team they are.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 1 month

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

I caught the first two parts of this but haven't seen the next two. Obviously, Dead is infused throughout. Walton can grate on you with the hyperbole about things both Dead and non-Dead, but he was a fantastic bball player. His body just wasn't built for longevity. Shame, cause he had ridiculous skills and court awareness. Saw him, Parrish and McHale at a Worcester Mass show on side of the stage in April 87 and that was weird. Three skinny giants. Would love to know what Parrish thought of the show.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Saw him twice at Red Rocks on stage right.
Once with his leg in a cast and on crutches.
Looked like he was having fun nonetheless.
He has some ridiculous number of shows seen.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

I was a HUGE Walton fan when he was a player. I used to take the bus down to Pauley Pavilion to watch him and his Bruin teammates practice under John Wooden, the greatest coach of all time when I was a pup. Yep, I was that much of a gym rat, then. Used to spend an inordinate amount of time playing and watching hoops. Tried to pattern my game after Walton, in fact. Which worked for a little while: I am tall for a "normal" human, but not for a basketball player, so those moves that 6'11'' Bill used down in the post didn't work that well for me.

But he was great! Possibly the greatest college player of all time, but a guy whose body was not durable enough for the more physical game and longer seasons he had to endure as a pro. People forget this now, but the media at the time criticized Walton relentlessly for his vegetarian diet, blaming his injuries on poor nutrition. Which was bullshit. It later came out that team doctors had wrongly diagnosed and failed to treat his plantar fasciitis and other injuries. But it just shows you how a long haired, bearded, vegetarian, Deadhead athlete was viewed by the straight media in the '70s.

I, too, sometimes find his broadcast work to be over the top, but I have to say that in person he's really nice and genuine.

About ten years ago I was freelancing an article having to do with the NBA playoffs, and I was attending a game that Walton was broadcasting. I thought it'd be good to get a comment from him, so I stopped him in the hallway as he was leaving the court and asked for his thoughts, tape recorder at the ready. I thought he would give me a sentence or two and hurry on his way. Instead, he said, "let's do this right, let me give you my home number, you can call me tomorrow and we'll have a real conversation." I had to call several times, but eventually I got him on the line, and we talked for over an hour. I had what I needed after the first five minutes, but we were having such a nice conversation about life, music, basketball, food, etc, that we just kept going.

I remember telling him, "you know, in my mind's eye, I can still see it to this day: I'm 13 years old and sitting in the stands Pauley, and there's this tall red headed kid with a basketball on his hip, leaning down to listen intently to Coach Wooden as he talks." And Bill just says, "I'm a lucky, lucky man."

Such a long long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.

Last five:
Aaron Copland: Appalachian Spring
Grant Green: Carrying On
Sonny Rollins: Road Shows, Vol 1
ABB: 40th Anniversary at the Beacon
King Crimson: The Projekcts

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Used to see him a lot at post Dead shows, especially Red Rocks.
Often he’d be in VIP right in front of the board, usually putting on a show of his own lol.
Remember one year he was leaning into the music so hard, leaning over the little section rope so far he damn near fell a few times. I can still see him doing this thing with his arms above his head to the wheel.
Quite the visual seeing this goofy psychedelic giant gettin his groove on.

So what’s next?? We’re in the annual deadnet doldrums again, everything’s moving here but much too slow…
Perhaps 47 will 6/22/91 to go with the MUATM?

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

More Real Folk Blues by Muddy Waters & Down and Out Blues by Sonny Boy Williamson. Bought them on EBAY, mint condition can't wait to get them.

user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I've been considering this lately, too, while I wait for my Dave's Picks 46 (yep - it's still not here yet. Replacement was shipped June 6th, but still I wait. I'm not sure why this is turning into such a quagmire...)

So outside of the Giants Stadium box set, Dave hasn't dipped his toe into the Vince era yet, and one could say he's overdue: Dick's Picks #9 (Released 25+ years ago now!) was a Fall 1990 show, and Dick's #17 was Fall 1991(edit: forgot about #27, 12/16/92).

But counting inclusively there are 6 official releases from 1991. Meanwhile, 1988 has but 3; 1984 and 1985, 2 each; and 1986, just one. Even the formerly neglected 1981 and 1982 now each have 5 shows officially released thanks to the MSG box set.

I've heard that the quality of what's in the Vault begins to fall off in the mid-80s, and what's there is often on cassette, so I'm guessing that's one reason '84-'86 releases are limited. (I don't have sources for this so I may be wrong; if anyone wants to share more, by all means please do! I'm always fascinated by tales from the vault.)

Man, what a nice problem to have, and what treasure! Such loot! Thirty years to choose from, and outside of the first few years (and the black hole that is the 2nd half of 1970) most of it is archived in the vault.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Just skipping down memory lane. Went to check on the old Oakland/Kaiser Auditorium. Awesome to finally see it is being renovated. Should have been open by now. Nice pic at oaklandside dot org. Also an old picture many have probably seen but here is what it says...

"In the Dark of the Night, The Ship of the Sun is driven by the Grateful Dead." Nice, seems like I read that somewhere a long time ago.

Edit: About stupid by the new company, turning the arena into open office space. Weird, as human resource studies a couple of years back showed that traditional office space employees are more productive than open air with cubicles. To me, a waste of an old incredibly historic building. Was hoping it could be renovated to its original use as a beautiful civic center complex. Would be awesome for symphony in the theater; and smaller music venues have seen renewal as concert touring is just now catching up to using smaller venues. Meaning bands that draw between 300 and 1200 capacity audience. I know around here, we are rehabing several smaller venues that seat 200-300. Long term plan is to bring in young touring bands, let them build an audience. Then maybe later, they will be big enough to take on the new music hall, around 1100, then the concert hall 2,199, then the arena or amphitheater 10,000 and 8,000. And then an old minor league baseball field that is also being rejuvenated. The ballpark would seat the 15000-30000. Then use an under-utilized college football stadium if we ever needed a 60,000 capacity facility. BTW, I hate that Vegas grabbed the Oakland Raiders and now possibly the A's. Sorry VGuy no offense, but I like teams to stay where they are unless there are truly real issues. I guess the A's and Raiders truly got tired of no new facilities. Sorry Billy Bean.

Can you imagine the utility bill for the arena with its high ceilings and rent running only $4-5 a sqft? Maybe that is why it hasn't opened this year on schedule. Of course, the growing concerns with banks and commercial real estate loans, I am sure aren't helping. Sorry, I just love that building.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

Featuring a CD plus digital releases and a few limited edition merch items. I'm all in and all for it we need a stand-alone release. I think the last one was CWI from JFK Stadium, 1989.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

....gunna shut down The Strip for one a helluva One More Saturday Night.
However. This Saturday night is not like the others. 💛
I'm taking some mushrooms.
Look up the Golden Heart pic they formed when they won.
It's the best thing ever.

That is going to be one HECK of a parade. As someone who was there night after night for a team that could have contended (LA Kings from the 80s to the 90s) I know how much it means to finally have the Cup. Have a blast VGuy!!

user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

I'd fly to Dave's house and stand in line at his front door to buy a copy of any Dave's Pick that included this show(s)

Hurry up and release them Dave, I don't like standing in line and I get vicious with shrubbery if left to wait too long

user picture

Member for

5 years 10 months

Help!!! My house has burned down in a fire....lost everything ( including my almost complete Dave's picks collection)..been a long term subscriber...and Dead collector.......I've ordered the new '73box and getting this year's DP's releases.....but I now need to change my shipping address.....trying information on how to do that.....any help would be greatly appreciated....thx....

user picture

Member for

17 years

AGH! so sorry for this disaster, but send me a PM and I'll see if the Doc can expedite the address change.
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by marye

for chiming in so fast to help LOWR. I was going to suggest him reach out to you.

Thanks for all you do for us!

G

user picture

Member for

5 years 10 months

In reply to by marye

Message sent...thx for the help....

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

So UPS is threatening to go on strike August 1st. I hope the PTB at dead.net are keeping tabs on the news because if this happens, a lot of us are not going to receive Dave’s 47. It would be in dead.nets best interest to use FedEx or DHL or just straight USPS this next time around. I read the last time UPS walked out in 1997, it lasted 15 days.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by adedhed68

....I cannot pronounce their name, but I discovered this band just now.
Hmmm.

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by Gary Farseer

LowR, so sorry to read about your loss. It's tough thing however a good thing that we can share these stories especially when they involve health, family, friends. Gary Dicks 23 might be the Baltimore Civic Center show you were thinking of, September, 1972. Far as I know, March 26, 1973, my first live has not been released, that's the one with Wolfman Jack introducing them. It's a great show, worthy of release. Just back from Maine, we caught three Striped Bass over two days, released two, kept a 31". That's a big fish. Those who are concerned about animal cruelty need not read any further (skip ahead), we used live bait, so we fished for mackerel first, caught a bunch of them, into the bait tank. They are beautiful small fishes in their own right. Striped bass love them, so they make great live bait. Big fish eat little fish. We kept the bait alive and kicking in salt water tanks and returned all fishes to the bay. Kept just one fish and we ate that fish, not a trophy. However, so damn proud to bring in a fish like that, tempted to replace the sunflowers. In a small world twist, turns out my old buddy's sister is married to a guy who is cousin to Keegan Bradley's father Mark, whom I know from when Mark was a club pro in Vermont years ago. Mark Bradley's sister is the LPGA star Pat Bradley. So I will dip into political aspects of sports for a moment to say I hope somehow an anti trust suit is brought to keep the Saudi money out of the PGA Tour, otherwise it becomes the PGS Tour. Missed most of the coverage of the first two rounds of the US Open, three holes in one yesterday??? Was fortunate to play LACC many years ago, indeed quirky. When the tournament officials, in this case the USGA set up the course for play, they sometimes go for the drama, put the pin locations in a collection area, a natural "bowl" or concavity that favors a hole in one, the drain on a sink. And yes, on hiatus from the Dead's music for a time, Billy Strings and Phish mostly on the trip.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years 6 months

In reply to by Vguy72

VGUY...saw this group on an episode of Austin City Limits months ago. They have a great sound. Unless you've already heard them, check out "Texas Sun" and "Mariella" by Khruangbin w/Leon Bridges

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

A taste of that tour on this week's Taper's and the new Jam-o-Week.
9-15-72 Boston and 9-24-72 Waterbury, CT. (famous for clockmaking)
Cheers
Go Rickie Fowler!

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

48 years ago today I was up in S.F. to see the Good ole Grateful Dead light it up! What a blast! One of the few versions of Blues for Alllah, Crazy Fingers opens the show, the best version I've ever heard. Kingfiish comes on before the the Dead and blows the doors off of Winterland. Big Fun!

Been listening on the anniversary:

6-7,8,9-77
6-9-76 (in the car spread over 3 days)
6-10,11,12%,14,15-76
6-17-76 playing now.

Maybe 6-17-91 Blu-ray tonight since I won’t be making it to MUATM.
I was at 6-22-91 and will buy it on Blu-ray if given the chance.
Make it happen Dave/Rhino.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Everything that they have put out is worth getting. The stuff that is just Khruangbin, their 2 discs with Leon Bridges, and their disc with Vieux Farka Toure are all cool listens, but the real treat is their Live at Lincoln Hall release, which is awesome. They put on a great live show, saw them at the Kettlehouse ampitheater outside of Missoula last summer. And the pronunciation is Krung-bin.

user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Garcialive #20 has just become available for preorder on Amazon UK if anyone here wants to order it.
ReCRAPTCHA doesn’t want to talk to me, but I’ll keep trying.

I listened to the 6/16/74 segment of Road Trips No 2 Vol 3 yesterday. Exceptional music spread over 2 cds, with the bonus disc included. 6/18/74 for today. The shows released from June 1974 are all great.

These 2 shows, plus 6/26/74 and 6/28/74 in the Dicks Picks series also support Dogon's point on another part of the board, that highlights, as opposed to full shows, can make for great listening experiences.

user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

I really hope the site would use them, all the way to the door!

My brother has worked for UPS since 1993. The company really did their folks a bad deal on retirement. That situation happened maybe 10-15 years ago. Not sure what this strike might be about, but UPS is TOP DOG in freight, IMO.

Lastly, I spent some time with, Ratdog live at Roseland,2001! This a spectacular performance! and very sonically well done! If you have it, break it out!!!!

Cheers, gang

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 8 months

10cd box on Cherry Red records. I can think of someone who might like that.

Royal Albert Hall later in the year as well. If I still lived in Essex I think i would have gone.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

#1.10/12/68, #2. 9/19 & 20/70, #3. Fillmore West 1970, #4.6/17/75, #5. 7/13/76, #6 .2/17/79, #7.10/9 & 10/82. Happy Fathers Day.

Nick1234 - exciting news! Dave Brock alluded to this in an interview in a magazine a few months ago, and the interviewer failed to ask him any questions about it. I have been waiting for some kind of announcement - your post is the first I have heard about it since Dave Brocks interview. Beyond essential.

While we're at it, the Hawkwind box set of recordings from 1977-1979 "Days of the Underground" that came out a few months ago is also great.

Congrats VGuy - Great pic, great sentiment, and from what I saw, Vegas REALLY knows how to put on a party! Glad you guys had a great time.
Next year - Toronto. (You can have 2025 ;) )
#RespectVegas

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

New Dead Head TV released this weekend! DreamsWeDreamed dot com
New Year's Eve '88 Shows at Oakland
Long Beach CA '88 shows
Dead Head TV Ice Cream Kids (gotta check this out!)
Deadhead New Year's Resolutions
Jerry and Bob at the Wiltern in LA '88
DTV Open sequence and DTV credit roll (for those of you that are interested in the 30 minute news-magazine format, and the 27 volunteer deadheads that contributed to episode 9.

DTV had 18 full half hour episodes-we're halfway through releasing them!

ORO- glad to hear you're enjoying the videos. That Southern tour '88 video was the first in my greater vision-an actual tour report for those who could not go on tour. I've a Spring Tour '89 report coming soon.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by nitecat

....saw them thirteen times that year. The MIDI year.
"Oooh. What. Is. That?!"
Shiny new thing that caught everyone's attention.
Kinda like a silver cup melded with gold inlays.
Nevada is the Silver State. So it makes total sense that the Cup should be here.
Taps head....

She did a stint with the Butthole Surfers

BHS is not for everyone, but I dig a good bunch of it. Locust Abortion Technician is their high water mark.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Road trip tomorrow though

On the list
11 11 73
5 11 72
3 28 73
8 6 74
RoadTrips1968
Others

Last 5 non-GD
David Bowie: Station to Station, Low, Heroes, The Man Who Sold The World, Scary Monsters
Pink Floyd A Saucerful of Secrets, Ummagumma, The Early Singles
Plasmatics new hope for the wretched

user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

Good afternoon to all our brothers and sisters here! Hope everyone is having a grateful day so far. I recently posted a few pages back If any one’s had any thoughts if we are due for or would welcome an official release for a new ,” New Year’s Eve” Performance made available from the Grateful Dead’s Vault! It’s been a long time since the Dead released any such performances which are available in the Vault.
Anyone have any favorite New Years Eve performances they enjoy listening to or any wish to see an official release some day soon?!
Any feedback would be truly appreciated! Rock on everyone, peace be with you all!
🙏❤️💀🌹

Talking of him - I listened to his first album today - the one that was released the same day as Sergeant Pepper. It opens with "Uncle Arthur" if you please. It's a very odd collection of songs - weird subject matter ie. cross dressing, child murder, songs about English eccentrics... all adorned with sickly sweet middle of the road musical arrangements. Guaranteed to appeal to...nobody. Vaguely chocolate box psych - but it's a bit twee even to fit into that category. If "The Laughing Gnome" had been a hit when it first came out, in 1967, England would have been a very different place in the 1970s.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-46-hollywood-palladium-los-angeles-ca-9972/081227834593.html