• 1,005 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    "Basketball and music have always been alike for me, the celebration of life and all other good things. These two art forms represent the best of teamwork, constant motion, creativity, leadership, communication, focus, execution, friendship, loyalty, cooperation, hope, opportunity, purpose, sacrifice, discipline, honor, and fun. Fun to play. Fun to practice. UCLA and the Grateful Dead embody the highest levels of this celebratory joy. At UCLA, it was endless fun, every day, in every way. We couldn’t wait to get there, to get going — though it was never as much fun as when the Grateful Dead came to play with and for us." - Bill Walton

Is there anyone who knows the acoustics of Pauley Pavilion better than Bill "Grateful Red" Walton? We think not, so we signed him on as a liner note scribe for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48, the complete previously unreleased show from UCLA's Pauley Pavilion 11/20/71. He was there, after all, "driftin' and dreamin'" as the Dead shape-shifted through a first set of Americana classics from WORKINGMAN'S DEAD and AMERICAN BEAUTY into their second one featuring truly primal psychedelic jams (a 23+ minute "The Other One"). They peppered in hot takes on tracks from the recently released SKULL & ROSES ("Bertha," "Me And My Uncle," "Not Fade>GDTRFB") and road-tested tunes like "Ramble On Rose" and "Tennessee Jed" that would make the cut on the following year's EUROPE '72. It's all delivered with such precision that we've had to come up with some overtime for disc three. There you'll find 75+ minutes of music from the Kiel Opera House, St. Louis, MO, 10/24/70, with the rest of the show due sometime in the near future.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48: PAULEY PAVILION 11/20/71 was recorded by Rex Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • pine_marten

There are several "picks" which are sold out that I'd like to have. Shows I was at. Dekalb, Upton and Deer creek. Deer creek was fun. Could not remember where we parked and sat in the grass until the lot was mostly empty. The roads were empty of the fuzz by then too.

• Oroborous

You can’t really compare different eras except according to preference.
    BUT! I will say I thought 48 was a good, but not RJ pick, while 49 is one of the better shows from that year.
    Personally, there’s no comparison, I’d take 49. It’s one of my fav picks while 48 was a disappointment. Not because of the era fall 71 through 74 is magnificent, just felt there were better shows.
    But hey I dig em all and thank Dave and company for all the love and hard work they put in so we can complain LOL

• Colin Gould

Too many variables. Only you can decide which to get. If you like both eras then how much of each do you have? If I had to choose I’d probably go for 49, but that’s because I’ve got much more of 71 than 85. Luckily I don’t have to pick one because I subscribe so I get them all (as long as the delivery system works)

• 1stshow70878

Pretty sure in the Feb. GD Bulletin email yesterday they said there were only 700 DaP 49 left so I'll go with that selling out before the others. Getting hard to predict what year/era will sell quickest nowadays.
    Cheers

Edit: Correction, only less than 700 left of both DaP 48 and 49.

• uncle_tripel

...will SELL-OUT first? my money is on 49, let's GO 49; and btw, that is NOT a reference to the fourty-whiners lol

• uncle_tripel

personally, gonna stand with TN JOHN on this one; gotta believe that different gear & different recordings from two different bands during two different periods of music 14 years apart renders those releases non-comparable, and
    DAVEROCK nails it, which ERA do you like BEST?

peace all!
    uncle_tripel

• DeadVikes

I think that is a first. He only gets one?

So, which Dave's will sell out first?

There are four currently for sale now.

What will be in that 79 box Love My Girl?

• daverock

I'd go for Daves 48. In fact I have. Fall 1971 was one of the greatest periods in the Deads career - and any show from that era would trump two from 1985 for me. Not for everyone though - just depends what you like.

• TN John

I would say go for #49.
    You will be getting 2 fantastic shows from a less mined time period.
    Peace

• deadheadjohn
    Default Avatar

Between this one and Dave’s pick 49, which would yall go for as I can only afford one as much as I’d love to get both

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

"Basketball and music have always been alike for me, the celebration of life and all other good things. These two art forms represent the best of teamwork, constant motion, creativity, leadership, communication, focus, execution, friendship, loyalty, cooperation, hope, opportunity, purpose, sacrifice, discipline, honor, and fun. Fun to play. Fun to practice. UCLA and the Grateful Dead embody the highest levels of this celebratory joy. At UCLA, it was endless fun, every day, in every way. We couldn’t wait to get there, to get going — though it was never as much fun as when the Grateful Dead came to play with and for us." - Bill Walton

Is there anyone who knows the acoustics of Pauley Pavilion better than Bill "Grateful Red" Walton? We think not, so we signed him on as a liner note scribe for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48, the complete previously unreleased show from UCLA's Pauley Pavilion 11/20/71. He was there, after all, "driftin' and dreamin'" as the Dead shape-shifted through a first set of Americana classics from WORKINGMAN'S DEAD and AMERICAN BEAUTY into their second one featuring truly primal psychedelic jams (a 23+ minute "The Other One"). They peppered in hot takes on tracks from the recently released SKULL & ROSES ("Bertha," "Me And My Uncle," "Not Fade>GDTRFB") and road-tested tunes like "Ramble On Rose" and "Tennessee Jed" that would make the cut on the following year's EUROPE '72. It's all delivered with such precision that we've had to come up with some overtime for disc three. There you'll find 75+ minutes of music from the Kiel Opera House, St. Louis, MO, 10/24/70, with the rest of the show due sometime in the near future.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48: PAULEY PAVILION 11/20/71 was recorded by Rex Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Got a chance to listen to the first set last night. I thought Cumberland was especially rollicking!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I had a teensy spider and tiny web in the coffeemaker also about a year ago. Above the water compartment near the lid. Quite surprising. I need to dust my house more.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Recorded on my 11th birthday!
Five years later heard my first Grateful Dead
20 Years after that spent the day with Dick Latvala at his home!
No spiders were involved!

Did everyone get an email with Dave's new video saying thank you and talking about #50 and 51? His comments have me spinning. For one, he is super excited about #50! But he talks about the bonus disc is a show that could have been a stand alone Dave's Picks. Hmmm. So, does that mean it will be a show that can fit on one disc? What shows can fit on one disc. Or as someone pointed out back about 100 Hey Now posts ago, could the bonus disc for 50 be 2 discs? And he talks about 51 being something that noone is going to see coming. This definitely sounds like an exciting year. Can't wait to see how it plays out. He also said that Rhino should be releasing info on #50 soon. Definitely an exciting time in GD world. Also sounds like they are upping the game trying to get people to subscribe. Hopefully y'all who didn't get confirmation are really on the list.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

....a top shelf show was played this day 50 years ago. Followed by two more.
Tramjams. ❤️ your avatar. Huge Peanuts fan here.

...but I'm going to keep dropping the odd post. My Dead post was just got hey now'd, so I'm just seeing if this one gets through. Hopefully we won't get put off.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by daverock

Weirdly, if write about The Dead I seem to get hey now'd more than if I write something critical. Saying I dislike the crass salesmanship associated with deadnet seems more likely to get through than if I say how great 9/11/73 is , for example.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

New avatar in honor of Dead.net 🙃

user picture

Member for

7 months 2 weeks

it's so easy to fall
let your memory drift and do nothing at all

NAPPY, talking about state of mind, wow how I was looking to reminisce about my 2nd show on 11/6/79, and it occurred to me, as you say, I’m a little hazy lol (and not in an IPA way). Well I forgot to post, and as I tried to go back in memory, and I thought about that experience with my friends; we smoked our brains out…could we really have, well, how much? and as I was walking in to the Spectrum that night, remembered hearing lots of skeptical talk about the “new” GD. As I streamed the show this week, inspiration, move me brightly…

all the people that you can't recall
do they really exist at all?

Peace All!
uncle_tripel

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 9 months

Primal Dead. Their music that I first heard, cut my teeth on, and always come back to.

1968-71. Garcia's guitar was so urgent, gutteral, throaty, dark and dirty. Weir's rhythm was clear, rich, and buttery, Phil weaved in and out like a sneaky dancer, and the Pig brought the grease. Good music is about stimulating your emotions, and this is good music.

Love this pick so far, especially happy with the 1970 3rd disc. What was it about 1970? The limited selections I find on youtube are always just a little different than the rest.

This is the Dead for me. Hope the vault holds more than we realize.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by frosted

Found me listening to 11.9.73 also.

Right back at you Frosted. GOGD is GD Music where the minutes unnoticeably morph into hours and at the end of your journey you have to peel your flattened brain off the wall immediately opposite the speakers and very carefully ooze your way home without getting abducted, abscounded, frisked or otherwise figured out.

Love the new Avatar.

Dammit Rhino IT.. you are beginning to piss us off.

Start simple and get your point across. If it goes through, edit, embellish, and addcontent a few words or sentences at a time. If that goes through, fine tune it.

If all goes well, try adding exactly what you want to say.

That is until I added a phluck it or two and the Hey Now police crushed my morning buzz. Still, I got away with it for a full paragraph and a half.

I'm convinced Rhino has a cubicle island full of this special kind of person that in real time reads all our posts just as we hit save. They have a giant Hey Now Button on their desk and they hit it with a giant wooden gavel whenever our writing does not suit their fancy.

As they hit the Button, we get Hey Now'd and a giant ding ding ding bell goes off in the office. They get Hey Now points that are reviewed each month, awards and bonuses are given and they get a special letter they take home put it up on their refrigerator for their moms to see.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 9 months

To me, the better of the long, raw jams of the early days seem to melt into a dream.

I have actually had good luck posting the first time on my last several posts.

But awhile back I vacated these boards for quite some time over frustration with posts that wouldn't.

Prefer it when it works, heh.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

...appears to be, "Hey Now"!

"Hey Now!: The act of being told, "NO!", without any rhyme, reason, or context. Just, nope. Sorry. Not happening. No explanation. AND you'll LIKE IT!"

Listeners wonder what 'Jock-A-Mo' means. Some music scholars say it translates in Mardi Gras Indian lingo as 'Kiss my ass,' which seems potentially appropriate here as a jab to anyone trying to actually post something on dead.net these days.

Marye, we're drowning here!!! And shooting in the dark. What gives???

Sixtus

P.S. if this doesn't get Hey Now'd, perhaps there's been a break in reality and we've finally fallen through

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 months 3 weeks

Looks (no, not like rain..) like it isnt sold out, after all..

user picture

Member for

7 years 7 months

If you like Phil’s bass to be recorded properly with any low end at all, #48 is not for you, with the exception of the 3rd disk. What would make Dave release a show where only the high notes on Phil’s bass can be heard? There is no low end bass on 11/20/71, none, nowhere to be found. Imagine The Other One with no bass!
Only Phil’s higher notes can be heard. The thunder roll intro is all drums. It’s a travesty to release this show. A waste. Thank goodness for disk 3’s Dancing in the Streets, Good Lovin’ and Lovelight otherwise this waste of resources is a total rip off. Hey Dave can you give us a warning next time. Attention subscribers this release has no bass, be warned. Are you deaf Dave, or did Bill Walton pay you off because he was there.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by 72LiveDead

All is not bad with this release. Almost all these shows have some recording or vocal or quality anomaly.

Disc three, to me at least, is worth the price of admission alone. There are parts from Pauley, like the transition from NFA into GDTRFB and get my attention also. I'm guessing you're not a Trail Blazer or Celtics fan or something.

If we set recording standards too high.. well, DiP 8, Harpur College was almost not released because the recording was subpar, mono for most of the show and it was Phil I think that was questioning releasing it at all. Warts and all, that's what the DiP and DaP series were about, getting the 'lessor' shows out there, the non-multi track house recordings. There's enough here to find your happy place, you just gotta poke around.

On a separate note, something got me to poke around for some early Dancin' in the Streets and Midnight Hours in the same show and I landed on 9.16.66 Avalon Ballroom (Vintage Dead). A short but powerful little performance, it's probably been 15 years since I listened to it. wowwow stuff, and Phil is pretty high in the mix for this one.

Not trying to be critical, more a note of support if not for Dave, at least for Bill Walton.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 9 months

What Jim said.

If you don't understand by now how this is supposed to work with 50+ year old tapes never recorded to be released....

A travesty? A waste? -- I'd call that description a first world problem.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I'm quite happy with this release.

user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

I like it, a lot. I didn't notice the lack of a low end on discs 1 and 2, thought it was fine though Keith is really prominent on the first set tunes. Nothing wrong with that, though. I like that The Other One doesn't spiral too far out of control.

Love disc 3 late 1970 GOGD. That is a mighty fine Dancin' in the Streets to kick it off and that may be the earliest GDTRFB that I have heard-- really interesting to see how that song, and the band entirely, evolved in one year. They went from a seat-of-your-pants sometimes sloppy but always interesting band to a tight, take no prisoners kickin' rock and roll band that did a wild jam per night. Love to juxtaposition presented here.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by frosted

Perhaps your speakers are outta phase as no one else, including myself, has noticed this?
I think, like usual, once they get into it and set the mix etc, this one sounds pretty good.
My only complaint, which isn’t really a complaint, is that one could argue there were better shows from that fall.. Otherwise, tanks again Dave et el.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by frosted

Don't forget Tom's throbbing organ.

I really like Daves 48. Compared to so many live recording I have form the 70's from all sorts of bands, I think the standard is really high, soundwise, on these recordings. They weren't recorded with the idea of releasing a live album - so it's unrealistic to expect them to all sound as good as shows that were.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Just finished discs 1 & 2.
After 1st set I was meh, good but not great, why did they pick this one. But 2nd set redeemed it for me. Great TOO that goes spacey then funky and almost as good as some of the EU72s. Seems like the long sets were the 1st ones back then, this 2nd not as long as they eventually became.
As for Bill W. love the guy but his spiel was all about him. I wanted to hear about him at shows! He is legendary for the number of shows he's seen including some I saw him at including one on his crutches. If Dave did pick this one for him he is totally deserving of getting a pick, no doubt. In the synchronicity of life I was warming up the stereo before my listen to 48 listening to classical and Copeland's Fanfare For The Common Man was on. Seemed fitting while I was reading about Bill. Very much looking forward to the "bonus" disc of '70.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

I thought about that too. Then I thought about how much I remember my first show, which was 11 years after this and how few details I remember except for the guy under the dark stairwell with the paper. I could not write a liner note quality review of the show but I could write about the overall experience. I think that's Bill did, wrote about the experience through his eyes.

I found it interesting too, a little light on GD a little heavy on basketball and Coach Wooden but hey now (ooops). For what it's worth, there's a heavyweight coach in Baltimore, Coach Wooten, with an amazing career also. Woot Woot.

It seems you get Hey Now'd early in the morning more than later in the day. They seem to become more forgiving after their first or second cup of coffee (or after their third beer)

user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

#4686 has just been pushed through my letterbox. Hope a few more turn up for those still waiting.

Edit: First listen to the three discs to check they’re OK. Sound good and I look forward to several replays. The difference between the two shows is dramatic.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

Apparently there is a 1997 song called Flagpole Sitta by Harvey Danger.

Clearly a biographical homage to Pole Guy.

I Received my copy of the new “without a safety net“ vinyl remastered release a few days ago and the remaster is beautiful sounding! Truly a primo pressing! Been looking forward to this release since it was announced! Always loved this Record Album from the Grateful Dead cannon! I would recommend anyone who’s been thinking about adding this to your collection to grap a copy! You won’t regret it at all! Artwork is amazing! Have a grateful day my brother and sisters!

user picture

Member for

7 years

This one is freaking incredible.

user picture

Member for

7 years

I agree.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by carlo13

Yes, I've just been fitted up. A long and fascinating post you will now never see. A long early morning post seems likely to get removed.

user picture

Member for

7 years

Is anyone having play problems with disk 1 first three tunes? Sometimes this happens with a Dave's disk only. but it's usually resolved but light cleaning or canned duster, but it still won't play till you skip to Song 3 BIODTL. I have a Bose disk player. Thanks.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

After what seemed like a lifetime DaP 48 arrived in Nottingham yesterday. So far played the 70 show which is just fine and the first set of 71 which is quite intense!

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

First spin of the new 8-18-67 Hendrix.
Good stuff, we’re lucky that dude from the radio station decided to hit record.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

My disc 3 was not recognized by my CD player but played when I hit the play button. This is the same as many of the discs from my "Here Comes Sunshine 1973" box. Once playing, the disc 3 fortunately played without incident whereas the HCS discs all skipped. The problem seems to be down to somewhat poorly manufactured discs but what is strange is that the problems only occur during playback on certain CD players. Other CD players play the discs just fine. It has nothing to do with the quality (or the price) of the CD player. Naturally Rhino have said absolutely nothing about this, as we have come to expect from them.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 1 month

In reply to by simonrob

Simon. all of my CD's play on the Dave's Pick, there are obviously manufacturing issues.The HCSS box set is a one that has playback issues, the replacement CD's for the ones that were faulty also do not play except for one that skips on the last track.
I am done with giving Dead.net anymore of my money.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

No issues discs one and two.
Playing three today.
Got hey now with this post yesterday.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by simonrob

I haven't had any problems with Daves Picks, but I have with other cds. A 1972 T.Rex box set played okay the first time round, not since. Curiously, when I did cd copies, they did play alright.

Ironically, my top quality cd player is the one that sometimes refuses to play cds, or jumps to the second track etc. The little portable one I have, which cost about £70.00, will play anything

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

The 1970 portion is recorded in mono as nature intended and sounds phenomenal
Phil is a little light on the 1971 but hey! lets be thankful for what we have

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Energetic! Like this better than the 1971.
CD played fine.
Cheers

I have it complaint. I only received my copy of 48 today in Reading, pronounced Redding, UK. How come non subscribers 200 miles away in Lowestoft got theirs 10 days or so before me? And the piano is to high in the mix on Bertha....... Yours disgustedly etc. Other than that it's almost exactly perfect. With apologies Daverock!!!

user picture

Member for

7 years

The Estimated/Eyes is crazy good each time I hear it. St.Stephen too. The disks were also more colorful and vibrant back then.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-48-pauley-pavilion-ucla-los-angeles-ca-112071/081227834630.html