• 1,005 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    "Basketball and music have always been alike for me, the celebration of life and all other good things. These two art forms represent the best of teamwork, constant motion, creativity, leadership, communication, focus, execution, friendship, loyalty, cooperation, hope, opportunity, purpose, sacrifice, discipline, honor, and fun. Fun to play. Fun to practice. UCLA and the Grateful Dead embody the highest levels of this celebratory joy. At UCLA, it was endless fun, every day, in every way. We couldn’t wait to get there, to get going — though it was never as much fun as when the Grateful Dead came to play with and for us." - Bill Walton

Is there anyone who knows the acoustics of Pauley Pavilion better than Bill "Grateful Red" Walton? We think not, so we signed him on as a liner note scribe for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48, the complete previously unreleased show from UCLA's Pauley Pavilion 11/20/71. He was there, after all, "driftin' and dreamin'" as the Dead shape-shifted through a first set of Americana classics from WORKINGMAN'S DEAD and AMERICAN BEAUTY into their second one featuring truly primal psychedelic jams (a 23+ minute "The Other One"). They peppered in hot takes on tracks from the recently released SKULL & ROSES ("Bertha," "Me And My Uncle," "Not Fade>GDTRFB") and road-tested tunes like "Ramble On Rose" and "Tennessee Jed" that would make the cut on the following year's EUROPE '72. It's all delivered with such precision that we've had to come up with some overtime for disc three. There you'll find 75+ minutes of music from the Kiel Opera House, St. Louis, MO, 10/24/70, with the rest of the show due sometime in the near future.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48: PAULEY PAVILION 11/20/71 was recorded by Rex Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • pine_marten

There are several "picks" which are sold out that I'd like to have. Shows I was at. Dekalb, Upton and Deer creek. Deer creek was fun. Could not remember where we parked and sat in the grass until the lot was mostly empty. The roads were empty of the fuzz by then too.

• Oroborous

You can’t really compare different eras except according to preference.
    BUT! I will say I thought 48 was a good, but not RJ pick, while 49 is one of the better shows from that year.
    Personally, there’s no comparison, I’d take 49. It’s one of my fav picks while 48 was a disappointment. Not because of the era fall 71 through 74 is magnificent, just felt there were better shows.
    But hey I dig em all and thank Dave and company for all the love and hard work they put in so we can complain LOL

• Colin Gould

Too many variables. Only you can decide which to get. If you like both eras then how much of each do you have? If I had to choose I’d probably go for 49, but that’s because I’ve got much more of 71 than 85. Luckily I don’t have to pick one because I subscribe so I get them all (as long as the delivery system works)

• 1stshow70878

Pretty sure in the Feb. GD Bulletin email yesterday they said there were only 700 DaP 49 left so I'll go with that selling out before the others. Getting hard to predict what year/era will sell quickest nowadays.
    Cheers

Edit: Correction, only less than 700 left of both DaP 48 and 49.

• uncle_tripel

...will SELL-OUT first? my money is on 49, let's GO 49; and btw, that is NOT a reference to the fourty-whiners lol

• uncle_tripel

personally, gonna stand with TN JOHN on this one; gotta believe that different gear & different recordings from two different bands during two different periods of music 14 years apart renders those releases non-comparable, and
    DAVEROCK nails it, which ERA do you like BEST?

peace all!
    uncle_tripel

• DeadVikes

I think that is a first. He only gets one?

So, which Dave's will sell out first?

There are four currently for sale now.

What will be in that 79 box Love My Girl?

• daverock

I'd go for Daves 48. In fact I have. Fall 1971 was one of the greatest periods in the Deads career - and any show from that era would trump two from 1985 for me. Not for everyone though - just depends what you like.

• TN John

I would say go for #49.
    You will be getting 2 fantastic shows from a less mined time period.
    Peace

• deadheadjohn
    Default Avatar

Between this one and Dave’s pick 49, which would yall go for as I can only afford one as much as I’d love to get both

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

"Basketball and music have always been alike for me, the celebration of life and all other good things. These two art forms represent the best of teamwork, constant motion, creativity, leadership, communication, focus, execution, friendship, loyalty, cooperation, hope, opportunity, purpose, sacrifice, discipline, honor, and fun. Fun to play. Fun to practice. UCLA and the Grateful Dead embody the highest levels of this celebratory joy. At UCLA, it was endless fun, every day, in every way. We couldn’t wait to get there, to get going — though it was never as much fun as when the Grateful Dead came to play with and for us." - Bill Walton

Is there anyone who knows the acoustics of Pauley Pavilion better than Bill "Grateful Red" Walton? We think not, so we signed him on as a liner note scribe for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48, the complete previously unreleased show from UCLA's Pauley Pavilion 11/20/71. He was there, after all, "driftin' and dreamin'" as the Dead shape-shifted through a first set of Americana classics from WORKINGMAN'S DEAD and AMERICAN BEAUTY into their second one featuring truly primal psychedelic jams (a 23+ minute "The Other One"). They peppered in hot takes on tracks from the recently released SKULL & ROSES ("Bertha," "Me And My Uncle," "Not Fade>GDTRFB") and road-tested tunes like "Ramble On Rose" and "Tennessee Jed" that would make the cut on the following year's EUROPE '72. It's all delivered with such precision that we've had to come up with some overtime for disc three. There you'll find 75+ minutes of music from the Kiel Opera House, St. Louis, MO, 10/24/70, with the rest of the show due sometime in the near future.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48: PAULEY PAVILION 11/20/71 was recorded by Rex Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Had a post I wanted to make Saturday, that will now be stale. I think I am going to post it one sentence at a time.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

Another Hey Now Legend from the past, Hank Kingsley.

Wouldn't it be better if after your post was denied they played a little IKo IKo.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by JimInMD

you used 7 significant digits (or figures).

Math nerds of the world, unite!

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

First, I am a sucker for So Many Roads. The last Hunger Garcia song, always stops me in my tracks for a moment of reflection.

Boston 94 is a strong show. 30 Trips did a great job of highlighting good shows from years where admittingly, expectations were low, including late era shows and 86.

As you were, if I'm away for a while it was crapatcha and Senor HeyNow.

Love the Iko Iko ided DVikes. Just a sound clip IkoIko and your screen turns black requiring a reboot.

user picture

Member for

7 years

I think the mailman was holding my Dave's for ransom. Just starting disk uno. P.S. Vguy, Sorry to hear about your Dad. Did you say your dad passed at 66 from Alzheimer's? That's pretty freaking scary. How is that possible at such an early age?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by carlo13

Please tell the tech nerds to stopping pulling so many tubes, and cut down on the micro dosage.
There’s like hundreds? Thousands of old people here who have no other human interaction,
so desperately need to have at least one place to go to complain ; )
Thanks

Lol DV! Right on.

See DR, there is the good after 74, just gotta poke around!

user picture

Member for

7 years

Scams and Hacker Intrusions are down 97.92346% because I sent dead-dot-net a case of smelling salts. Sixtus, I pre-ordered a $2000 E-bike, and was going to motor down to your side of town to steal the dead end sign thereabouts.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Oro, thanks for the kind words on our Brent Tribute. We spent two months on it.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by nitecat

And cool you got to use real clips
We’ve enjoyed em all!
Tanks!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Just released the rest of the DiP2 vinyl, you should really get one

Right on my man. Just be sure to head all the way up the Hill, all the way to the end....hence the 'Dead End' designation. Just gimme a shout when you go to take it, it's anchored there pretty good and you might need a hand.
We can throw 18 when you stop over, too.

Sixtus

Hey Now! No Iko music came through, but that would be rad

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

So very very good. A great version of a great song, love when Jerry starts "preaching".

And finally a mention of Hank "Hey Now" Kingsley! I tried a post on it, but, of course got Hey Now'd.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by JimInMD

at the point, I don't want to hear an Iko.

This from Saturday:

Loss Pt2:

Yall know lost my mother a few months back, spend time with pops. He is doing well, but on the short end now.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Not to dwell, but to bring it back to the Grateful Dead ethos.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In the Hear Comes Sunshine box, the narrator does a good job of expressing part of the thoughts (concerning) GD (as it deals with) living and dyeing. Have been meaning to post for a while.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

What he writes in the small booklet related to the Iowa show is how Jerry could emote so many tonalities from expressing joy to melancholy.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Beside melancholy, he mentions anguish.

Yes, that is truly epic. And because I haven't listened to show form this era for quite a while, it's almost like listening to a new song.
I was all set to listen to the rest of this show, when a delivery woman arrived and handed me a copy of Dicks 2 - this new vinyl edition. A near perfect release - no interference with the sound at all, and the music, as every one knows is exceptional.
It's a strange one, in a way, though. Presumably you would have been able to hear Keith if you had actually been at the show - and if you could, then it would have sounded very different to what we have here on this album. Also, the fact that the album starts with Dark Star means that again, it would all have seemed very different if you had heard all the shorter songs leading up to it.
It's a great album, for all that.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

There is a place on a fragment of tape, I think on a Dick's from the 80s. But there is one place where it is Jerry by himself, and he begins to make a tone of such pain, anguish.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by daverock

It is like the part of the evil day we must all deal with. It's like an animal that has been snared. The moment of realization, oh what happened, I can get out. The as reality sets in, the animal moves to more crying out for help.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

To then, those haunting cries of the realization of death (Anguish.) Jerry's guitar crying out anguish so distinct it is heartbreaking.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

That fragment of tape has always been with me for well over a decade now. Has had a huge impact as I ponder the depth of this band and organization.

So very sorry I had to do this way.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

So I guess we are not allowed to use picks, after Dick's. That was only thing I changed and it all went thru though fragmented.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

KG and the Lizard Wizard announced their huge 2024 US Canada Tour. Never seen them, my friend is a huge fan.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Dick's Picks

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

So we've had two years of glass tumblers and 2 of shot glasses for Dave's.

Hope next year will have something other than glasses.

How about little axes with date of the show and pick numbers. Maybe add a string and make the little axes christmas tree ornaments? Maybe coffee mugs with changing/hidden object when cold or hot? How about 5 lbs tins of top shelf bud for each release?

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by Dennis

Dick's Picks.

Also sign me up for the first 100 5lb tins. I am all in.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

The Brent tribute was great. Made me almost cry. My very first introduction to Grateful Dead was when they were on Saturday Night Live in 1978.

Then, I drew closer in the 1981 time frame, so real first exposure was with Brent. I am always a Dead Brent fan as that is what I was drawn to. I say it all the time, but do like all era's, just Brent the most. I remember Garcia in an interview said it was ability to add so much color to the tunes. Now I am a huge Pig and Keith, Vince and Bruce fan but Keith started out with just Billy. So when Mickey came back that meant they had three percussionists as the piano is a percussive instrument. So when Brent joined it went back to 2 percussionists an organist. Love his vocals and work on like China Doll.

And I sort of posted this before. Thanks to Dave L, for #47. Reason being that when you pulled out the narration from the box, it showed Brent alone. I thought was a great tribute. Have more but got to attend to the food type thing.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....coming to Vegas in a year! Consider me a big fan as well. Last time they played here, I didn't know about it because I discovered them literally days after. Tix go on sale Friday. Probably the longest span from on sale to concert that I can recall.
Also, I posted a few days regarding the "new" Beatles song Now And Then to no responses, so I'm posting it again.
Yes, I did get a little teary eyed.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

We'd boycott dead net for a week until they remove the SS from their IT Department

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

When I was just Young Master Ones, I loved the Beatles from the first time I saw them on T.V. (1965). They are why I became a lover of music. I love the new song. True it's not Day Tripper or Strawberry Fields Forever, but I'd rather have it than not. Just like EVERYTHING, no one will be forced to listen to it.
All I can say, in the spirit of Jerry is, Spread love, Be Kind. We all have a little bit of God Consciousness in us.

Music Is The Best!!

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

Also, I really, really like Dave's 48, All of it. But I can't stop listening to Disc 3!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

Weird how we have had new singles by both The Beatles and The Stones in the last month. I'll bet nobody would have predicted that back in 1963. Probably something to do with when we turned the clocks back a few weeks ago. I think we went too far.
I wonder what'll be next? Jerry and the Pacemakers?

Mr Ones - I finally got round to getting the double cd of Alice Cooper's "Killer" this week. Good stuff - that's more the sound of 1972 as I lived it.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Thanks Gary for the kind words. We loved Brent so, and were shocked with his passing. Our DTV tribute was a work of love, and many people contributed to it. It's become very popular on YT. It can also be found on our web site, dreamswedreamed dot com.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

My lengthy reply got "hey now'd". Can't think why.
In short, I did get the email, and it seems like manipulation to me. Why can't he tell us what he wants us to pay for?

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

At least I learned the correct, recently changed name of the Gray Jay. Now the Canada Jay. Otherwise known everywhere as the Camp Robber. No inference there.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

I've tried to post on numerous things these past few weeks, but been denied time after time. I'll try again, and keep it brief so I don't waste a bunch of time writing out detailed thoughts only to be denied again:

If there's one thing the "deluxe reissue" era has taught us about out-takes and demos, it is that there's usually a really good reason they're out-takes and demos. Now and Then seems more like a flimsy sketch for a song than anything John Lennon would've ever released when he was alive. If people like it, great, no harm done. But it don't move me.

DaP #48 Ruuuuules!

54 years ago tonight I was celebrating my 19th Birthday at The Forum in LA...I went to see The Rolling Stones, BB King, Ike & Tina Turner & Terry Reid...the show started way late because of delays in getting the floor area turned around from an afternoon hockey game....the 2nd show let out about sunrise...so yeah that makes me 73 today and I feel it...oh well beats the alternative...as I mentioned in an earlier post my buds and I were at #48...the only thing I really remember were the two lines to get into Pauley...one for the GA floor and another for the reserved upstairs seats...I think it was my first time to see a show at Pauley...anyways, friends who were upstairs braved about a 15 foot drop to get down to us...other than that I'm a little hazy ...

So a weird happening this morning ...I always have the coffee pot ready to go when I wake up...I measure everything before going to bed so I only have to push a button in the morning and not have to count...so I make the two cups for myself and The Mrs...before I take her cup to her I always clean out the filter basket and let it sit to dry before putting it back in...I open the lid and in my half awake state I see something kinda fuzzy to one side of the top...oh no a semi destroyed spider web! I look and sure enough there's a spider in there too ...thinking it was dead from the boiling water etc I go to grab it with a napkin and it JUMPS DOWN to the floor and runs off under the stove!!!! Anyone need a cup of coffee???

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by nappyrags

....when they are outside. Except for jumping spiders. They are so cute!! They wave to you and they look at you.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-48-pauley-pavilion-ucla-los-angeles-ca-112071/081227834630.html