• 1,005 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    "Basketball and music have always been alike for me, the celebration of life and all other good things. These two art forms represent the best of teamwork, constant motion, creativity, leadership, communication, focus, execution, friendship, loyalty, cooperation, hope, opportunity, purpose, sacrifice, discipline, honor, and fun. Fun to play. Fun to practice. UCLA and the Grateful Dead embody the highest levels of this celebratory joy. At UCLA, it was endless fun, every day, in every way. We couldn’t wait to get there, to get going — though it was never as much fun as when the Grateful Dead came to play with and for us." - Bill Walton

Is there anyone who knows the acoustics of Pauley Pavilion better than Bill "Grateful Red" Walton? We think not, so we signed him on as a liner note scribe for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48, the complete previously unreleased show from UCLA's Pauley Pavilion 11/20/71. He was there, after all, "driftin' and dreamin'" as the Dead shape-shifted through a first set of Americana classics from WORKINGMAN'S DEAD and AMERICAN BEAUTY into their second one featuring truly primal psychedelic jams (a 23+ minute "The Other One"). They peppered in hot takes on tracks from the recently released SKULL & ROSES ("Bertha," "Me And My Uncle," "Not Fade>GDTRFB") and road-tested tunes like "Ramble On Rose" and "Tennessee Jed" that would make the cut on the following year's EUROPE '72. It's all delivered with such precision that we've had to come up with some overtime for disc three. There you'll find 75+ minutes of music from the Kiel Opera House, St. Louis, MO, 10/24/70, with the rest of the show due sometime in the near future.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48: PAULEY PAVILION 11/20/71 was recorded by Rex Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • pine_marten

There are several "picks" which are sold out that I'd like to have. Shows I was at. Dekalb, Upton and Deer creek. Deer creek was fun. Could not remember where we parked and sat in the grass until the lot was mostly empty. The roads were empty of the fuzz by then too.

• Oroborous

You can’t really compare different eras except according to preference.
    BUT! I will say I thought 48 was a good, but not RJ pick, while 49 is one of the better shows from that year.
    Personally, there’s no comparison, I’d take 49. It’s one of my fav picks while 48 was a disappointment. Not because of the era fall 71 through 74 is magnificent, just felt there were better shows.
    But hey I dig em all and thank Dave and company for all the love and hard work they put in so we can complain LOL

• Colin Gould

Too many variables. Only you can decide which to get. If you like both eras then how much of each do you have? If I had to choose I’d probably go for 49, but that’s because I’ve got much more of 71 than 85. Luckily I don’t have to pick one because I subscribe so I get them all (as long as the delivery system works)

• 1stshow70878

Pretty sure in the Feb. GD Bulletin email yesterday they said there were only 700 DaP 49 left so I'll go with that selling out before the others. Getting hard to predict what year/era will sell quickest nowadays.
    Cheers

Edit: Correction, only less than 700 left of both DaP 48 and 49.

• uncle_tripel

...will SELL-OUT first? my money is on 49, let's GO 49; and btw, that is NOT a reference to the fourty-whiners lol

• uncle_tripel

personally, gonna stand with TN JOHN on this one; gotta believe that different gear & different recordings from two different bands during two different periods of music 14 years apart renders those releases non-comparable, and
    DAVEROCK nails it, which ERA do you like BEST?

peace all!
    uncle_tripel

• DeadVikes

I think that is a first. He only gets one?

So, which Dave's will sell out first?

There are four currently for sale now.

What will be in that 79 box Love My Girl?

• daverock

I'd go for Daves 48. In fact I have. Fall 1971 was one of the greatest periods in the Deads career - and any show from that era would trump two from 1985 for me. Not for everyone though - just depends what you like.

• TN John

I would say go for #49.
    You will be getting 2 fantastic shows from a less mined time period.
    Peace

• deadheadjohn
    Default Avatar

Between this one and Dave’s pick 49, which would yall go for as I can only afford one as much as I’d love to get both

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

"Basketball and music have always been alike for me, the celebration of life and all other good things. These two art forms represent the best of teamwork, constant motion, creativity, leadership, communication, focus, execution, friendship, loyalty, cooperation, hope, opportunity, purpose, sacrifice, discipline, honor, and fun. Fun to play. Fun to practice. UCLA and the Grateful Dead embody the highest levels of this celebratory joy. At UCLA, it was endless fun, every day, in every way. We couldn’t wait to get there, to get going — though it was never as much fun as when the Grateful Dead came to play with and for us." - Bill Walton

Is there anyone who knows the acoustics of Pauley Pavilion better than Bill "Grateful Red" Walton? We think not, so we signed him on as a liner note scribe for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48, the complete previously unreleased show from UCLA's Pauley Pavilion 11/20/71. He was there, after all, "driftin' and dreamin'" as the Dead shape-shifted through a first set of Americana classics from WORKINGMAN'S DEAD and AMERICAN BEAUTY into their second one featuring truly primal psychedelic jams (a 23+ minute "The Other One"). They peppered in hot takes on tracks from the recently released SKULL & ROSES ("Bertha," "Me And My Uncle," "Not Fade>GDTRFB") and road-tested tunes like "Ramble On Rose" and "Tennessee Jed" that would make the cut on the following year's EUROPE '72. It's all delivered with such precision that we've had to come up with some overtime for disc three. There you'll find 75+ minutes of music from the Kiel Opera House, St. Louis, MO, 10/24/70, with the rest of the show due sometime in the near future.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48: PAULEY PAVILION 11/20/71 was recorded by Rex Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

Kinda like FU: works in different contexts lol

Like in this case: kinda like in Iko, “hey now” like a sorta warning. Careful, Watch out, don’t go there etc, ….OR, in my case Hey Now! As in Yessss, finally some “lackluster” shows ; ) !
85 finally! Picky DH might have picked something else from that year, but their definitely worthy, and, scratch the Frost/Greek itch so many have been waiting for.

And hey, to offset the possible negative complaining of such an “unlistenable” year, you just know 50 (and 51) is gonna be stellar to compensate (or enhance, depending on chever way your pleaser tends) for such a horrible, i mean Jerry’s voice is just sooo bad for like all but ten minutes of the 5+ hours of music. Yeah, it’s all just so unlistenable. Sure Jer rips the shit outta Tiger for 2 days, and the band is on and having fun celebrating their 20th anniversary at one of the all time favorite venues, but ya know, JGs voice is just so bad, it’s just not even worth listening…I can’t believe anyone would possibly want any of this?

Whatevs, I know I’ll sure Diggs it!

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by jonathan918@GD

My grumpiness about it is just me being a grouch

One of my alter egos is "Grumpy Grumpkins"

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Has anyone got a shipping notification yet? Usually I get one a few days before the release date. Although, I once got the package and never got a shipping notice at all.

The Post Office says my 48 will be here today, on time, It's been a while. I did not receive a shipping notification from deadnet or UPS at all. I have an account with the Post Office that tells me whats coming daily...

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

I looked at the Bob Dylan that just came in and thought, shit more money out the door.

I thought I'd skip the vinyl and just get the cd's.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!! 160 BUCKS FOR 4 CD'S!!!!

I like to have the two shows, but that WILL have to wait.

160 bucks!!!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Ron, my shipping notice on the 24th was from USPS.
No notice from UPS but USPS tracking indicates it just went past me yesterday and is shuttling between the Denver UPS and USPS facility today. Sometimes that short ride takes a couple days which is weird. Oro and I will likely see it on Monday or Tuesday if past is prologue.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

....out for delivery!
No Dave's shipping notice yet.
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard's The Silver Cord dropped today btw. If you're a fan of Tangerine Dream or Kraftwerk or synths in general, you'll love it.

user picture

Member for

5 years 1 month

Why so grumpy, Grumpy? I always enjoy your post and show date recomendations.

Also, I believe you have posted on being a teacher. Thank you for your service to our youth!

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

I just learned of the upcoming Dylan release a moment ago while reading the post below, AND as I read the post, Jessi Colter sang something about what Bob Dylan said as I streamed her latest album! That was cool, as is her new disc.

Hmmm . . . I had to cut a paragraph to get the above to post . . . let's see if I can edit . . .

I was able to edit, but not to enter the text I wanted . . .

user picture

Member for

5 years 1 month

I agree, 160$ for this release of 4 cd's is crazy as hell!

Something has to give on every damn thing costing a fortune these days! And don't get me started on ticket prices for shows, I might explode!!!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

48 Has arrived at my post office available for pickup It will be delivered tomorrow

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by jonathan918@GD

when I am feeling extra cynical.

Usually, I am pretty positive. Once in a while I show the grumpy light. It just happens.

Working as a teacher allows me counter that cynicism since I get to help shape the future.

(Will I get Hey Nowed when I try to post this?)

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Vguy72

In case you didn’t read the Almanac:

Excitingly, the Owsley Stanley Foundation somehow keep turning up unheard tapes as they continue to meticulously catalog the Sonic Journals. Though we can’t hear them just yet, they’ve recently put their paws on a few 1969 tapes from the Family Dog, including a fun-looking superjam and a rare appearance of Jerry Garcia playing pedal steel with Hot Tuna.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Wow, those sound worth waiting for.
Can't get enough of Jerry on pedal steel.
Did he ever comment on playing slide guitar?
Never seemed as good to me, but he could bend the strings with some reverb and sound better than his slide playing on Passenger, WRS. No offense meant, he's my favorite guitarist bar none.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

I was reading thru the Bulletin from 2 weeks ago, and really want to order the Friday the 13th shirt. I cant find it anywhere searching. From the bulliten if you click on the embed it gives a 404 error, page not found. Any help you can give would be much appreciated.

Thanks

G

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

39 years ago I was up in Berkeley at the BCT for another fun night with the Grateful Dead, a great show to kick off a great run. Fun Times!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

It may just be sold out, but I'll see what I can find out!
user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

I always wish I'd been able to see a show at the BCT (well except maybe the 4/21/86 show) but by the time I started going to shows it was no longer an option for the band.

Anyway - the first tape I ever had from 1984 was 11/2/84. And one of the very first '72 tapes I ever had was 8/21/72. I've played them both so many times that I know much of the music note-for-note. But I wouldn't have done so if they hadn't been smokin' shows! That venue just seems to have good mojo.

BCT

I love those shows.

There is a great one, too tire to look up now. Will look at in am.

But like second set was Playin into China Doll. Might be wrong, after all I am heavily medicated.

OK I will check dbase.

WOW, 39 years ago at Berkeley Communtiy Theater, is the first tapers section. The PlayinChinaDoll is the next night. Havent heard in over 2 decades but was always a favorite.

Billy (BTK) BCT - Place I wanted to go to so bad.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

....every song is extended. As they should be. Good shit.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

It's a Japanese release and in Japan it costs ¥20000 which is $134 which expensive there for 4 CDs. Once it has reached other countries it will naturally cost even more.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Arriving early for once.
Out for delivery today.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

48 Coming today.

Note - I've been downloading everything Joe Russo on the archive.

In at least 2021 and 2022 (haven't gotten further yet) there is a recording team Costello & McRoberts.

Not sure what permissions they have or who they know, but they make these 6 track recordings with mikes on stage, soundboard and audience, then make matrix "boards". GREAT recordings, really, really great.

I should have been seeing these guys all along,,, they are great.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by marye

Thanks!!!

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by Gary Farseer

wanted to post comment but got the Hey Now warning... no lynx, hits or errors, so cut it short. Now I go back hours later to see if I can add comments, by saving edits, seem to be able to... how odd. Hilarious that the case panels feature such superficial blase reviews, while Bill Waltons bio pic from back in the day casts light upon intimate events more than five decades ago. And surprise, Lynn Shackleford mentioned, had the rare privilege of golf and lunch at Riviera with Lynn a long time ago. High time to crank this puppy up.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by dmcvt

After that post dmcvt, I checked my order status and nothing. Last night went for another subscription, but comment was rejected so many times. Also added DaP 2 vinyl. Was thinking about the DaP 23, but have read so many complaints, including one guy on youtube who had a bad pressing, and a bad replacement. Not as big a fan of that show for that worry. But that lack of cd copies of DaP 1-4 is going to be filled by the vinyls. Until I hit the lottery, then it's game on for those ridiculously priced cds (that may not play), as well as the Steamer Trunk and Lyceum vinyl.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Never got a shipping notice, but it showed up in USPS Informed Delivery. Should be here Tuesday!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

....the DiP 2 vinyl plays perfectly. #678.
Sounds really, really good. I have this set pretty much burned in my brain. It was on constant rotation 28 years ago. Because cd's man.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Vguy72

I have just checked to see if my copy is on it's way, and have noticed it shipped on 26th October. Apparently should be here by 7th December. This year hopefully.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by daverock

Hopefully the oars won't break on the way

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

....real gone, flaming lips, garcia foundation and king gizzard all seem to have their shit together. And the Grateful Dead is in the rear view mirror regarding orders. There is a definite synapse disconnect here.

Friends was fun back in the day

Another gone too young

You make it to 80, you good. Before that is too young.

No one here gets out alive, indeed.

Pleasantly surprised by audio quality, playing while watching WS #2. As Casey J finishes, at the fourth inning, the fade out baseball music is a few bars of Estimated... coincidence? I think naught, Terrapin is up next. PigPen piano on 48 is pretty high in the mix, nicely energetic.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by dmcvt

....I can admit. I watched it. RIP. Pop culture is what it is.
Perry had drug and alcohol issues. He seemed to have turned the corner. Alas.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by dmcvt

Is that Pig or Keith on piano

user picture

Member for

8 years

In reply to by proudfoot

Pigpen only plays Keyboard on the 3rd Disc if that helps you. I don’t know which part of the performance you’re referring to being Pigpen or Keith. Unless you’re talking to Daverock.

....well. Let's see what's on the damn rap sheet.
Supertramp - Breakfast In America
White Stripes - Elephant
Bread - Manna
Love And Rockets - Seventh Dream of a Teenage Heaven
The 10.31.71 Dark 🌟

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

39 years ago it was show #2 with the Grateful Dead . Great show, great run! I bought a nice poster outside the the show done by Rick Griffin, also bought a nice tye dye t shirt outside the show.

Here's me getting in early about this one. Dave's Picks 33 - a towering performance by Jerry from beginning to end. The rest of the band seems to plod a bit to me during set 1. - but set 2 really takes off. Weird keyboard sound from Keith - sounds like he's playing a harpsichord or a spinet half the time. Sounds quite Elizabethan at times.

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by daverock

My bad, watching the game, listening to disc one of 48, too quick glance at credits, which explains it, Keith was the piano player, not Pigpen. They said I wasn't paying attention, but I just wasn't listening (enough).

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

5716 in the house.
Garcia 20 ordered.
Been waiting for one of their 15% off sales.
Halloween sale at Garcia Family Provisions.
Cheers
DaP 33, good pick DR. Will get to that on this first snowy day.

user picture

Member for

1 year 9 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Pig's organ is also high in the mix on disc 3. Which sounds just amazing I think...

*edit. until it doesn't

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

This is just a test to find out if I ever going to be allowed to post one this forum ever again. (I've tried to contribute to several recent threads, but haven't gotten past the "not a robot" page.) If this was a real post I would've written something fun and interesting.

If this shows up online, I'm back!

If not, I'm probably dead. And not in a good way.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-48-pauley-pavilion-ucla-los-angeles-ca-112071/081227834630.html