• 1,005 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    "Basketball and music have always been alike for me, the celebration of life and all other good things. These two art forms represent the best of teamwork, constant motion, creativity, leadership, communication, focus, execution, friendship, loyalty, cooperation, hope, opportunity, purpose, sacrifice, discipline, honor, and fun. Fun to play. Fun to practice. UCLA and the Grateful Dead embody the highest levels of this celebratory joy. At UCLA, it was endless fun, every day, in every way. We couldn’t wait to get there, to get going — though it was never as much fun as when the Grateful Dead came to play with and for us." - Bill Walton

Is there anyone who knows the acoustics of Pauley Pavilion better than Bill "Grateful Red" Walton? We think not, so we signed him on as a liner note scribe for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48, the complete previously unreleased show from UCLA's Pauley Pavilion 11/20/71. He was there, after all, "driftin' and dreamin'" as the Dead shape-shifted through a first set of Americana classics from WORKINGMAN'S DEAD and AMERICAN BEAUTY into their second one featuring truly primal psychedelic jams (a 23+ minute "The Other One"). They peppered in hot takes on tracks from the recently released SKULL & ROSES ("Bertha," "Me And My Uncle," "Not Fade>GDTRFB") and road-tested tunes like "Ramble On Rose" and "Tennessee Jed" that would make the cut on the following year's EUROPE '72. It's all delivered with such precision that we've had to come up with some overtime for disc three. There you'll find 75+ minutes of music from the Kiel Opera House, St. Louis, MO, 10/24/70, with the rest of the show due sometime in the near future.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48: PAULEY PAVILION 11/20/71 was recorded by Rex Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • pine_marten

There are several "picks" which are sold out that I'd like to have. Shows I was at. Dekalb, Upton and Deer creek. Deer creek was fun. Could not remember where we parked and sat in the grass until the lot was mostly empty. The roads were empty of the fuzz by then too.

• Oroborous

You can’t really compare different eras except according to preference.
    BUT! I will say I thought 48 was a good, but not RJ pick, while 49 is one of the better shows from that year.
    Personally, there’s no comparison, I’d take 49. It’s one of my fav picks while 48 was a disappointment. Not because of the era fall 71 through 74 is magnificent, just felt there were better shows.
    But hey I dig em all and thank Dave and company for all the love and hard work they put in so we can complain LOL

• Colin Gould

Too many variables. Only you can decide which to get. If you like both eras then how much of each do you have? If I had to choose I’d probably go for 49, but that’s because I’ve got much more of 71 than 85. Luckily I don’t have to pick one because I subscribe so I get them all (as long as the delivery system works)

• 1stshow70878

Pretty sure in the Feb. GD Bulletin email yesterday they said there were only 700 DaP 49 left so I'll go with that selling out before the others. Getting hard to predict what year/era will sell quickest nowadays.
    Cheers

Edit: Correction, only less than 700 left of both DaP 48 and 49.

• uncle_tripel

...will SELL-OUT first? my money is on 49, let's GO 49; and btw, that is NOT a reference to the fourty-whiners lol

• uncle_tripel

personally, gonna stand with TN JOHN on this one; gotta believe that different gear & different recordings from two different bands during two different periods of music 14 years apart renders those releases non-comparable, and
    DAVEROCK nails it, which ERA do you like BEST?

peace all!
    uncle_tripel

• DeadVikes

I think that is a first. He only gets one?

So, which Dave's will sell out first?

There are four currently for sale now.

What will be in that 79 box Love My Girl?

• daverock

I'd go for Daves 48. In fact I have. Fall 1971 was one of the greatest periods in the Deads career - and any show from that era would trump two from 1985 for me. Not for everyone though - just depends what you like.

• TN John

I would say go for #49.
    You will be getting 2 fantastic shows from a less mined time period.
    Peace

• deadheadjohn
    Default Avatar

Between this one and Dave’s pick 49, which would yall go for as I can only afford one as much as I’d love to get both

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

"Basketball and music have always been alike for me, the celebration of life and all other good things. These two art forms represent the best of teamwork, constant motion, creativity, leadership, communication, focus, execution, friendship, loyalty, cooperation, hope, opportunity, purpose, sacrifice, discipline, honor, and fun. Fun to play. Fun to practice. UCLA and the Grateful Dead embody the highest levels of this celebratory joy. At UCLA, it was endless fun, every day, in every way. We couldn’t wait to get there, to get going — though it was never as much fun as when the Grateful Dead came to play with and for us." - Bill Walton

Is there anyone who knows the acoustics of Pauley Pavilion better than Bill "Grateful Red" Walton? We think not, so we signed him on as a liner note scribe for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48, the complete previously unreleased show from UCLA's Pauley Pavilion 11/20/71. He was there, after all, "driftin' and dreamin'" as the Dead shape-shifted through a first set of Americana classics from WORKINGMAN'S DEAD and AMERICAN BEAUTY into their second one featuring truly primal psychedelic jams (a 23+ minute "The Other One"). They peppered in hot takes on tracks from the recently released SKULL & ROSES ("Bertha," "Me And My Uncle," "Not Fade>GDTRFB") and road-tested tunes like "Ramble On Rose" and "Tennessee Jed" that would make the cut on the following year's EUROPE '72. It's all delivered with such precision that we've had to come up with some overtime for disc three. There you'll find 75+ minutes of music from the Kiel Opera House, St. Louis, MO, 10/24/70, with the rest of the show due sometime in the near future.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48: PAULEY PAVILION 11/20/71 was recorded by Rex Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Pivoted off the Walton video. Up 11 days. I was - "in theory" - viewer 25.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by bluecrow

...in this crazy age of technology...

I did notice the very low view count on the video, but neglected to notice it's been up for almost 2 weeks.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

I hope those shows are the next Dave' s , Picks, I was at both those shows and they were a knockout!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Thanks man! I was starting to subscribe to ICECRMCNKD's deep fake AI theory. I was also toying with the idea that I somehow viewed something from a parallel universe.

I reviewed that video again and it is categorized as "unlisted" which means it was uploaded but not published to all. Also that was the exact same way I came across it initially- Walton's video first then it played right after. Typically to watch an unlisted video you need to have side door as they call it to access it. I guess in this case Bill Walton is like the keymaster in the Matrix movies.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

Is anyone else hoping for a 1968 release in 2024?

C'mon, man.

Check out 10 20 68 at the Greeks! (previously released in 30 Trips)

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

I would love a 1968 release, 10/12/68 Avalon Ballroom would be fantastic, something from the Carousel Ballroom would also be a knockout!

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by JackstrawJay

So, who is the Captain of this ship at this point. What the flipping hell is going on?

Posting the show for #48 before it is ready to be announced?
Posting the Seaside chat for 2024 subs before it is announced? I can't find it.
Finding all kinds of past Dave's and box sets in the dumpster out back.

If they would only find some copies of FW, that would really be something.

Maybe the video is part of disinformation campaign to scare the hell out of the post hiatus haters??? It is close to Halloween.

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

if I can post this (doubtful - this is try #6) I will just say that you can get to the 2024 vid by watching the Walton one. Look for the "More from" - little white circle with an "i" in it at top right of video frame.

edit: my post worked. Let's see if I can add this line: shoutout to Gratefulhan and BlueCrow. Yes, unlisted vid - I was viewer 29

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Obeah

Woo Hoo!
DaP48 and DP2 vinyl in my future.

I watched the Walton video but was not offered the option of a Seaside chat to follow, the ‘next up’ was a clip from a live concert video.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

My way in - click "more" to expand info on the Walton video and the 2024 sub video shows up beneath that below GD Channel logo.

No #48 shipping info yet here.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Vguy72

youtu

(dot)

be/

o922_LIM4qM?si=N2jDTaEafdkKXACG

Put that back together and replace (dot) with .

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

For 47 and 48, people found that by looking at their order status, and the date and venue were there underneath their respective numbers about a few weeks or a month, IIRC, prior to release date. Seems like at least a week before the actual announcement came, which is another week or so before the release. By January, we should have the announcement of number 50, which I'd guess is a Fillmore East show, hopefully February 11, 1970. Surely, they have this show in the Vault, and the Bonus disc could be material from the 13th and 14th that was unused. That'd sell out the subscriptions pretty quick.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

1 year 6 months

Dave mentions in the video that the subscription for 2024 is open, but I can’t find it at the store

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Take my money please.

“World recordy kind of thing”
What does Dave mean by that?

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

Just realized tonight is the 53rd anniversary of the upcoming 1970 Kiel Opera House show.

And I can hardly express how excited I am that we're finally getting some more 1985. I know it's not for everyone, but it's for me: of 71 live performances that year, I have 25 in my collection. Amazingly, neither Frost show is included. It's a few days past my birthday now, but this feels like a wondrously chosen gift.

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

Here's what Dave said about Vol. 50: "I think it's an incredibly special show... we've never really withheld shows... but when it came to doing number 50... a few months ago... we wanted to make sure it was something very special."

"The bonus disc... number 50 is truly a special show. Not to say the Frost '85 shows aren't special; the shows that are number 50 are truly magnificent. I'm telling you, the bonus disc alone probably should have come out in the Dave's Picks or the Dick's Picks series decades ago. But it's coming out now."

Dave says he's not much of a salesman, but after that, I know I'll be subscribing.

And then we come to this: "The show that's #51, I'll just say this, will be very different from any, kind of, band lineup as the one you're going to see with 49, with Brent, and 50, and then 51 is very different." Now, someone here speculated that this implies the Dave's series will finally move into the Vince Welnick era, and that certainly seems plausible. Unless... I mean, I don't suppose... could he perhaps be talking about October 1968? The Matrix? With Elvin Bishop? Nah... surely not...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 months 1 week

Hi all.. When will this go on sale.. ? BW

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Cousins Of The…

That's a real shame - but thanks for letting me know. I have been having all sorts of problems trying to send pm's too, and as my understanding of the online world in minimal, if I type and press save, and I'm told "Hey now" I am stumped.
Hopefully it will be up and running again in the not too distant future,
All the best,
Dave

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Obeah

re bonus discs - I've said it before, but they are rip off. Trying to get people to cough up for lacklustre shows which they wouldn't want if they were offered independently. If they offer something as vital as music from Fillmore East 1970 as a bonus disc I'll be very cross. Quiet cross, anyway.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

What's a special show?? 9/19/70 , 9/20/70, 10/ 12/68.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

Maybe they are trying to post the Sea Side Chat but they keep getting this message that says "Hey now..." 🙂

user picture

Member for

5 years 1 month

some folks will never be happy with things no matter what!

wow, just wow!

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Tramjams

Icecrmcnkd, I am hoping this means a box with shows from different countries in the same year. I am probably way off but that's what flashed thru my mind when he said it. How about a 74 box with new shows from the US, England and France?

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Morning, rockers!!!

I would vote for that summer 68 show that OSF revealed, now THAT would be something!! Maybe fill it all in with other little scraps from 1968!!!

9/20/70 would be an awesome release, if they had clean "returned reels". Every copy I've ever heard----and I've heard lots over the last 40+ years---has had some serious sonic issues with the electric set. They could fill that one out with the typically amazing Dark Star suite from 9/19..............

1985 was a pretty good year for the Dead, and those Frost shows are solid!!

Hey, even the 90s deserve their day.............

Wow, did I really say that?!!! And no, I did not fall down and hit my head............

Rock on,

Doc
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us.......

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

back in 1985 I was a spectator at a great little show in Tampa, Florida at the Sun Dome. Took a car load of newbies to the show, converted them all, Jerry slays and the drums>space>comes a time is sublime. Good times had by all. There was a small waterfall of spilled beer cascading down the steps in the upper section, gathering speed as it spread to the floor. A dragon with matches was loose on the town that night for sure.
Tomorrow is the anniversary of those two fab shows in Miami in 89. Dark Star for Halloween, sooo much fun.

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by Gary Farseer

Though I might have opined not crazy about cassette masters, there's no question the 1985 Frost doubleheader is a great start, fingers crossed there's a 68 in there for #50.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

But I'm waffling on the DaP 2 vinyl.
Spent a lot on vinyl this year.
I better decide soon, only 5000.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

After all that anguish I went through trying to get my copy of Dave's 46 delivered, I was at one point moved to say that perhaps my days of subscribing were over. But Rhino took care of me eventually (with the direct intercession of Dave himself - if you read this, thanks again, Dave!) and Dave's latest seaside chat sealed the deal.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Got my subscription. Always counts as an early birthday present. Graduated high school in ‘85, so there’s that connection.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by ronmarley1

A bit cruel of Dave making people hack through not one, but two 1985 shows before they can have the good stuff. A bit like when you were little and you had to eat your vegetables before you could have any ice cream.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

These 85 Frost shows are amazing. Get it. You'll never regret it. Btw it's all "the good stuff".

I listen to all eras, and I like 85.
Started playing 6-24-85 in the car today.
Playing 5-3-86 right now.

Hope DaP51 is a ‘91 or 3-30-94.

As Dave says in the seaside chat, it’s the subscribers who keep this series going, not the ala carte sales.
Giving the subscribers a bonus disc as a thank you is not an injustice to those who don’t want to subscribe.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....the Dead played a couple of great shows there in '80.
So did Phish. '89 & '91.

user picture

Member for

7 years

Sub or no bonus disk.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by carlo13

I've just had the "hey now" treatment on the subscriptions board. Hardly surprising, perhaps, given what I'd written !

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by daverock

I noticed Dave started the subscription chat with a Hey Now. Perhaps it’s all an insidious plot to confuse us all.

Not managed to hear much music lately as the house is full of workers rearranging the kitchen and bathroom. The last couple, from my very old iPod were:

Velvet Underground and Nico. This is a stunningly inventive record.
as heard on radio soulwax vol 2 - 2 many DJ’s.

I’ve just got the hardcover version of the updated ‘Be glad for the song has no ending’ which is about The Incredible String Band, another of my favourite groups.

user picture

Member for

1 year 9 months

Am I wrong for expecting them to arrive on or at least around the "release date". I know they used to, and now they come later and later...really, am I wrong about what this means?

Otherwise I think getting this pick out on time is the best incentive to renew the subscription.

user picture

Member for

5 years 1 month

I thought the saying of "Hey Now" was quite common in and around the Dead scene. It appears some folks are surprised or even pissed off about it! Oh well, just wondering...

Rock on, gang

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

In reply to by jonathan918@GD

Anytime I see someone with a Dead shirt on I say, “Hey Now!” to them. Most get it, some don’t. I think the folks on here are responding to the “Hey Now” you get when a post is rejected.

user picture

Member for

5 years 1 month

That makes sense.

As far as posting, I haven't had any issues.

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

youtube.com <-- this gets you hey now'd

edit: wait WHAT?!? How is that permitted
2nd edit: I was trying to trigger the message, and finally I succeeded; but when I cut-n-pasted it in to the msg body, it wouldn't let me post it. I got hey now'd. Ah, the many caprices and vagaries of a message board...

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by ronmarley1

I think the problem with it in this context is that it is followed by a negative statement. It's a bit like reading "Hey now! F..k Off!"

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-48-pauley-pavilion-ucla-los-angeles-ca-112071/081227834630.html