• 1,005 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    "Basketball and music have always been alike for me, the celebration of life and all other good things. These two art forms represent the best of teamwork, constant motion, creativity, leadership, communication, focus, execution, friendship, loyalty, cooperation, hope, opportunity, purpose, sacrifice, discipline, honor, and fun. Fun to play. Fun to practice. UCLA and the Grateful Dead embody the highest levels of this celebratory joy. At UCLA, it was endless fun, every day, in every way. We couldn’t wait to get there, to get going — though it was never as much fun as when the Grateful Dead came to play with and for us." - Bill Walton

Is there anyone who knows the acoustics of Pauley Pavilion better than Bill "Grateful Red" Walton? We think not, so we signed him on as a liner note scribe for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48, the complete previously unreleased show from UCLA's Pauley Pavilion 11/20/71. He was there, after all, "driftin' and dreamin'" as the Dead shape-shifted through a first set of Americana classics from WORKINGMAN'S DEAD and AMERICAN BEAUTY into their second one featuring truly primal psychedelic jams (a 23+ minute "The Other One"). They peppered in hot takes on tracks from the recently released SKULL & ROSES ("Bertha," "Me And My Uncle," "Not Fade>GDTRFB") and road-tested tunes like "Ramble On Rose" and "Tennessee Jed" that would make the cut on the following year's EUROPE '72. It's all delivered with such precision that we've had to come up with some overtime for disc three. There you'll find 75+ minutes of music from the Kiel Opera House, St. Louis, MO, 10/24/70, with the rest of the show due sometime in the near future.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48: PAULEY PAVILION 11/20/71 was recorded by Rex Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • pine_marten

There are several "picks" which are sold out that I'd like to have. Shows I was at. Dekalb, Upton and Deer creek. Deer creek was fun. Could not remember where we parked and sat in the grass until the lot was mostly empty. The roads were empty of the fuzz by then too.

• Oroborous

You can’t really compare different eras except according to preference.
    BUT! I will say I thought 48 was a good, but not RJ pick, while 49 is one of the better shows from that year.
    Personally, there’s no comparison, I’d take 49. It’s one of my fav picks while 48 was a disappointment. Not because of the era fall 71 through 74 is magnificent, just felt there were better shows.
    But hey I dig em all and thank Dave and company for all the love and hard work they put in so we can complain LOL

• Colin Gould

Too many variables. Only you can decide which to get. If you like both eras then how much of each do you have? If I had to choose I’d probably go for 49, but that’s because I’ve got much more of 71 than 85. Luckily I don’t have to pick one because I subscribe so I get them all (as long as the delivery system works)

• 1stshow70878

Pretty sure in the Feb. GD Bulletin email yesterday they said there were only 700 DaP 49 left so I'll go with that selling out before the others. Getting hard to predict what year/era will sell quickest nowadays.
    Cheers

Edit: Correction, only less than 700 left of both DaP 48 and 49.

• uncle_tripel

...will SELL-OUT first? my money is on 49, let's GO 49; and btw, that is NOT a reference to the fourty-whiners lol

• uncle_tripel

personally, gonna stand with TN JOHN on this one; gotta believe that different gear & different recordings from two different bands during two different periods of music 14 years apart renders those releases non-comparable, and
    DAVEROCK nails it, which ERA do you like BEST?

peace all!
    uncle_tripel

• DeadVikes

I think that is a first. He only gets one?

So, which Dave's will sell out first?

There are four currently for sale now.

What will be in that 79 box Love My Girl?

• daverock

I'd go for Daves 48. In fact I have. Fall 1971 was one of the greatest periods in the Deads career - and any show from that era would trump two from 1985 for me. Not for everyone though - just depends what you like.

• TN John

I would say go for #49.
    You will be getting 2 fantastic shows from a less mined time period.
    Peace

• deadheadjohn
    Default Avatar

Between this one and Dave’s pick 49, which would yall go for as I can only afford one as much as I’d love to get both

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

"Basketball and music have always been alike for me, the celebration of life and all other good things. These two art forms represent the best of teamwork, constant motion, creativity, leadership, communication, focus, execution, friendship, loyalty, cooperation, hope, opportunity, purpose, sacrifice, discipline, honor, and fun. Fun to play. Fun to practice. UCLA and the Grateful Dead embody the highest levels of this celebratory joy. At UCLA, it was endless fun, every day, in every way. We couldn’t wait to get there, to get going — though it was never as much fun as when the Grateful Dead came to play with and for us." - Bill Walton

Is there anyone who knows the acoustics of Pauley Pavilion better than Bill "Grateful Red" Walton? We think not, so we signed him on as a liner note scribe for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48, the complete previously unreleased show from UCLA's Pauley Pavilion 11/20/71. He was there, after all, "driftin' and dreamin'" as the Dead shape-shifted through a first set of Americana classics from WORKINGMAN'S DEAD and AMERICAN BEAUTY into their second one featuring truly primal psychedelic jams (a 23+ minute "The Other One"). They peppered in hot takes on tracks from the recently released SKULL & ROSES ("Bertha," "Me And My Uncle," "Not Fade>GDTRFB") and road-tested tunes like "Ramble On Rose" and "Tennessee Jed" that would make the cut on the following year's EUROPE '72. It's all delivered with such precision that we've had to come up with some overtime for disc three. There you'll find 75+ minutes of music from the Kiel Opera House, St. Louis, MO, 10/24/70, with the rest of the show due sometime in the near future.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48: PAULEY PAVILION 11/20/71 was recorded by Rex Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

It got me yesterday just trying to edit and correct my spelling.
Didn't add or delete any words or change any punctuation.
I think they added A.I. lol.
Stupid computer says Homer.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

These aren't state secrets?

Well.... I'm not cutting my rates, I guess we've had these guys fooled all this time. No wonder the world is so flucked up, they apparently believe us.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

…guess Bolo must be on real cloak and dagger shit, that or the bastards got him?
He’s never been gone this long so you have to wonder with all the mayhem across the globe if the ole boy is bogged down in the shit mire?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

....it's the only logical answer.
There are 1970 reels out there. Aliens recorded them because they recognized the good shit.
Huge game tomorrow re Dolphins/Eagles. Time to put up or shut up.
Palestines vs Israelites. A tale as old as time. Both need to get their shit together. Good luck with that. Sigh.

12-14-71 playing now
10-31-71% played before that (looking forward to the vinyl)

For my 1st attempt I was told that my reCRAPTCHA answer was incorrect, even though I hadn’t yet been shown the quiz.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

45 years ago we went to a building on the corner of Post & Steiner in S.F and had a blast!

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

Playin' 12/10/71 today.

Rippin'!

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

I am coming to Dave’s 48 with no overloaded expectations, but I know I will love it!!

Regarding lids: One of my favorite Dragnet episodes was when Sgt. Friday attended college courses at night, and caught a student with a “lid” of grass”. The episode had a great ending and I won’t spoil it.
More great Dead music in less than 2 weeks!!
Life is good and…
Music is the Best!!

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

Apparently, we are no longer allowed to use the symbol for ‘number’ anymore. Sheesh!!

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Came in yesterday, have to say a beautiful package.

It's maybe 13 x 13,,, a chunk bigger than lp size. Made like an old photo album. Hinges open with 5 lps in separted cardboard sleeves (all have cover picture)

Cardboard cover is that thick stock with a clear coating.

A very pretty box.

Oh, number 148!

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

Count me amongst the enjoyers of recent posts. And I have to say, it's made me smile seeing folks offer to use their US-based addresses as destinations for products that can't be directly shipped to the UK, for example. Everybody's playing in the Heart of Gold Band...

And all this talk of '71 is making me want to get on board. I think I'll start by giving a listen to the Austin Road Trips release. I only added it to my collection recently, and I'm still largely unfamiliar with it. Similarly, although Dave's 26 has been in my collection since release, it is criminally underplayed. My brain is just so hardwired to think "Felt Forum" as soon as it hears "Late '71"

It's been a '74 weekend around these here parts, first because I realized there was a Hunter's Trix release of 8/4, and then I prevailed upon my wife to watch The Grateful Dead Movie with me as a birthday present (my birthdate being the anniversary of "The Last One"). I'd completely forgotten that scene where Garcia returns to the dressing room and tears about the place until he leaves again in frustration bc he can't find "water; just ice cold, clean water" :)

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by Dennis

Dennis, Oteil’s site now says the vinyl album should be released in November and is still a pre-order. The album is currently available to stream.

user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

Love 1971 Shows !,,,About the time I got on the Bus...Saw my 1st show in 1973,,,, Some of my Favorite Years,,,Garcia Playing His Strat, and One Drummer...Billy Boy !...Nice Clean Sound in those early days,,,A Great choice I must say...Thank You for putting out a Great Year for the Good 'Ol Grateful Dead as We used to say back in the Day,
TOM TOM

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

Clear this up, PTB. This is my main social outlet!!! Except for work.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Morning, rockers!!!

Tom_Tom check your pm's.

Less than a week to go!!

Rock on,

Doc
Music is my therapy and my straitjacket.....

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

What is it exactly that is giving you difficulties with posting that you need cleared up?
user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by marye

Well, I for one have written several messages that the linq identifier rejected, despite no linqs or any such thing in the body of the message. I keep editing the message and trying to submit, before usually giving up and trying to remember what it was and typing it again a day or so later. It's frustrating, especially when there's no actual guideline or red line underneath the offending comment, word, suspected linq, or whatever it is, just the same, stupid, message about keeping the interwebs safe or some crap.

ETA: of course, it didn't happen this time

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

Me too, Hellava time posting lately.
One time I had to change/edit Skull**** (had to change to this)

It’s like captc been captured, the singularity has begun lol
Whoa I’m getting freaked out mannn ; )

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I have had a few certainly clean posts fly back at me recently also. It's getting to the point where I have to use the wayback machine to go back in time to save a post so it goes through cleanly.

Don't get me wrong, we want to be able to post safely.. perhaps the new algorithm blocks posts created when you are smiling on a cloudy day.

Have a grateful week all. It's great to see a super positive vibe here. In a world of conflict, turmoil and trouble, the last great refuge is the Grateful Dead.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

Whenever you post something or send a letter or Email on a Computer or even in regular mail Take a photo of it or Copy and paste it somewhere. Many times I have spent hours writing something and after it failed to send or other reasons it gets lost or deleted and you never can remember what you wrote after spending hours writing it

Copy it take a photo of it

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by marye

Marye- In response to your last post, have had a problem with sending PM's over the last few days. In 5 attempts, only one has got through. I normally get that "Hey now" message, which is quite annoying. How are we suppose to respond to that? Just say "Hey now..that's okay!" I suppose.
After the failures on the PM board I came on here - but I was blocked and the fake friendly "Hey now" message appeared again. So I gave up

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

If I have long things to type about, I type them into a word/text file..

I've been burned by the long thing rejected and can't remember all the points made.

At least from a word/text file I can copy and paste in the post box.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I will pass this up the line and see what I can find out.
user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

I've also had this problem lately - as recently as yesterday. I was trying to reply to Oroborous and the suggestion of a Fall '89 box set. My post had lots of dates and venues, but that's it... the closest thing I could see that might be objectionable was a mention of a somewhat famous internet resource that was popular around that time (The W E L L) but I deleted that and mentions of a certain usenet msg board (I'm now leaving that vague ref here to see what happens) and it still wouldn't let me post.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Obeah

The problem I have the most is a message that says I answered the reCRAPTCHA answer wrong, even though I was never even shown the question.
In those cases I copy the text, log out, clear browsing history, log back in, and paste the text. Usually works.
Recently I’ve had a few messages like other people are getting that accuses me of using lynx or embeds, even though I’m not.
Of course, I pasted a lynk the other day by making various changes including ‘dot’ instead of .
Then got penalized on my next post after that.

Now, let’s see if I get rejected with this post…..

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

....a lot of times I'll post something. Then right after, I'll remember something else that I want to add, then edit it. Then I do it again. This doesn't just occur on this site.
For example, I edited this four times. ADHD does that.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by Vguy72

You write something innocuous and then you get "hey now blah blah no posting for you ..."

(I always hated that "hey now" expression except in the song itself....get off my lawn)

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Stop calling me "now".

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

So they ran out before they reached the 10K limited edition?
And now they have more? Confusing.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

It is now out of stock.

I didn't receive an Email.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I started composing text in a file that can be saved whenever the I know the post will be a long/involved because I had too many that wouldn't post or might get lost. This started before recraptcha stuff.

Since then, I have started to try to organize some of these, as sometimes new posts have things that might relate to old posts.

If any of this can be followed/understood, Congrats. I am not sure right now if I am making sense or have stopped making sense.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Hi Dave - been trying to send you a PM for a while...nothing doing. Message disappeared when I hit Save; wrote another one with Notepad then tried to paste it, did not work either. No idea what they're doing here.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I just saw Dave L's seaside chat for the 2024 subscription. Finally, Vol. 49 is 2 complete shows from 1985 at the Frost! I am pumped up for this as I have been requesting 1985 shows for about 3 years. Of course Dave eluded to Vol. 50 with the bonus disc being a big one given the milestone. I also think we are getting something between 90-95 for Vol. 51, based on what Dave says on his seaside chat. I am guessing that will likely be a Bruce and Vince show as we have yet to get that in the Dave's Picks series. Good times all around!

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

New chat? Box sets available? I can't find the former & didn't get an email about the latter. Not even sure I can post this, I keep getting hey now'd

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Was unable to find with a search, but happened upon a new Bill Walton video introducing DaP 48 in his own unique way, and in the midst of it, a linq popped up that said Dave's 2024. Clicked upon it, and there verified Grateful Han's news of 4-27-28-85 Frost shows as the next Pick. I'm not as happy as he is about it, really don't like the cassette master releases. Looked at the setlists when I saw Han's post, some interesting things. Will definitely give them a shot. Even the Little Red Rooster gets at least one spin. Would be shocked if it stayed in the rotation when '73 shows like DaP 38 can't. Did break it out again recently, but has nothing on any of the shows from the HCS box.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Hey All, so the seaside chat video for 2024 subscription is well, interesting. I noticed when I watched it that it only had a few views but it was listed as being released 11 days ago. I thought that was odd, so I added that video into my YouTube video library. I did x-out of YouTube as I went about my day. I tried to search for it later but discovered that it is not able to be found on the official Grateful Dead channel. However it is still saved in my video library on YouTube so I did watch it again. Now I have YouTube premium so maybe that allows me to see a video that might have been uploaded but not made available to non premium YouTube audience. I would share a screen shot but I don't think the website permits that these days.

I hope I don't get in hot water for sharing this- although I saw there were anomalies for the video when I first watched it, I did still think it was available to everyone. I was and still am excited about the 1985 releases. Maybe the seaside chat will available for all soon?

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Shipping notice.
Even has a USPS tracking number.
But of course they are awaiting its arrival.
Cheers

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-48-pauley-pavilion-ucla-los-angeles-ca-112071/081227834630.html