• 1,005 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    "Basketball and music have always been alike for me, the celebration of life and all other good things. These two art forms represent the best of teamwork, constant motion, creativity, leadership, communication, focus, execution, friendship, loyalty, cooperation, hope, opportunity, purpose, sacrifice, discipline, honor, and fun. Fun to play. Fun to practice. UCLA and the Grateful Dead embody the highest levels of this celebratory joy. At UCLA, it was endless fun, every day, in every way. We couldn’t wait to get there, to get going — though it was never as much fun as when the Grateful Dead came to play with and for us." - Bill Walton

Is there anyone who knows the acoustics of Pauley Pavilion better than Bill "Grateful Red" Walton? We think not, so we signed him on as a liner note scribe for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48, the complete previously unreleased show from UCLA's Pauley Pavilion 11/20/71. He was there, after all, "driftin' and dreamin'" as the Dead shape-shifted through a first set of Americana classics from WORKINGMAN'S DEAD and AMERICAN BEAUTY into their second one featuring truly primal psychedelic jams (a 23+ minute "The Other One"). They peppered in hot takes on tracks from the recently released SKULL & ROSES ("Bertha," "Me And My Uncle," "Not Fade>GDTRFB") and road-tested tunes like "Ramble On Rose" and "Tennessee Jed" that would make the cut on the following year's EUROPE '72. It's all delivered with such precision that we've had to come up with some overtime for disc three. There you'll find 75+ minutes of music from the Kiel Opera House, St. Louis, MO, 10/24/70, with the rest of the show due sometime in the near future.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48: PAULEY PAVILION 11/20/71 was recorded by Rex Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • pine_marten

There are several "picks" which are sold out that I'd like to have. Shows I was at. Dekalb, Upton and Deer creek. Deer creek was fun. Could not remember where we parked and sat in the grass until the lot was mostly empty. The roads were empty of the fuzz by then too.

• Oroborous

You can’t really compare different eras except according to preference.
    BUT! I will say I thought 48 was a good, but not RJ pick, while 49 is one of the better shows from that year.
    Personally, there’s no comparison, I’d take 49. It’s one of my fav picks while 48 was a disappointment. Not because of the era fall 71 through 74 is magnificent, just felt there were better shows.
    But hey I dig em all and thank Dave and company for all the love and hard work they put in so we can complain LOL

• Colin Gould

Too many variables. Only you can decide which to get. If you like both eras then how much of each do you have? If I had to choose I’d probably go for 49, but that’s because I’ve got much more of 71 than 85. Luckily I don’t have to pick one because I subscribe so I get them all (as long as the delivery system works)

• 1stshow70878

Pretty sure in the Feb. GD Bulletin email yesterday they said there were only 700 DaP 49 left so I'll go with that selling out before the others. Getting hard to predict what year/era will sell quickest nowadays.
    Cheers

Edit: Correction, only less than 700 left of both DaP 48 and 49.

• uncle_tripel

...will SELL-OUT first? my money is on 49, let's GO 49; and btw, that is NOT a reference to the fourty-whiners lol

• uncle_tripel

personally, gonna stand with TN JOHN on this one; gotta believe that different gear & different recordings from two different bands during two different periods of music 14 years apart renders those releases non-comparable, and
    DAVEROCK nails it, which ERA do you like BEST?

peace all!
    uncle_tripel

• DeadVikes

I think that is a first. He only gets one?

So, which Dave's will sell out first?

There are four currently for sale now.

What will be in that 79 box Love My Girl?

• daverock

I'd go for Daves 48. In fact I have. Fall 1971 was one of the greatest periods in the Deads career - and any show from that era would trump two from 1985 for me. Not for everyone though - just depends what you like.

• TN John

I would say go for #49.
    You will be getting 2 fantastic shows from a less mined time period.
    Peace

• deadheadjohn
    Default Avatar

Between this one and Dave’s pick 49, which would yall go for as I can only afford one as much as I’d love to get both

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

"Basketball and music have always been alike for me, the celebration of life and all other good things. These two art forms represent the best of teamwork, constant motion, creativity, leadership, communication, focus, execution, friendship, loyalty, cooperation, hope, opportunity, purpose, sacrifice, discipline, honor, and fun. Fun to play. Fun to practice. UCLA and the Grateful Dead embody the highest levels of this celebratory joy. At UCLA, it was endless fun, every day, in every way. We couldn’t wait to get there, to get going — though it was never as much fun as when the Grateful Dead came to play with and for us." - Bill Walton

Is there anyone who knows the acoustics of Pauley Pavilion better than Bill "Grateful Red" Walton? We think not, so we signed him on as a liner note scribe for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48, the complete previously unreleased show from UCLA's Pauley Pavilion 11/20/71. He was there, after all, "driftin' and dreamin'" as the Dead shape-shifted through a first set of Americana classics from WORKINGMAN'S DEAD and AMERICAN BEAUTY into their second one featuring truly primal psychedelic jams (a 23+ minute "The Other One"). They peppered in hot takes on tracks from the recently released SKULL & ROSES ("Bertha," "Me And My Uncle," "Not Fade>GDTRFB") and road-tested tunes like "Ramble On Rose" and "Tennessee Jed" that would make the cut on the following year's EUROPE '72. It's all delivered with such precision that we've had to come up with some overtime for disc three. There you'll find 75+ minutes of music from the Kiel Opera House, St. Louis, MO, 10/24/70, with the rest of the show due sometime in the near future.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48: PAULEY PAVILION 11/20/71 was recorded by Rex Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

Little Shop of Horrors? The first thing that came to mind was Sigmund and the Sea Monster. Does anyone remember that? Weirdness from the early 70's...

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

....Sid & Marty Krofft reference for bonus points my friend.
Seems like a trigger word here is a word that defines one that beats everyone else. Trying to dodge the trigger words here.
W. I. N. N. E. R.
That's one of the words apparently. I tested it.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Lame

Hey Now me one more time and I'll reach through the internet and smack you up, bitch

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 9 months

48 in the mail yesterday. Haven't had a chance for a listen yet, but maybe tomorrow.

'68-'71, Keep 'em coming please.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

Got my email this morning. Got #48 3 days ago😆

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Hey Now! I just checked my PMs. I will follow up with you both. Thank you both so much!

user picture

Member for

1 year 9 months

Does not disappoint; especially love the fast, no-frills pacing of first-set material from late '71. Keith is way up in the mix, which is refreshing.

Great to have the late '70 bonus, though the mix there is a bit jarring, with Jerry kind of buried and some of the vocals (esp Pigpen) distant. But hey, it's '70. Whaddya want.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Today. Ripped and loaded onto the USB drive for tomorrow. Did listen to Dancin from the Kiel Opera House, loved the Soulful Strut jam in it, and some of Phil's playing was great. Even based on listening to just one track, agree with odd mix comments. Looking forward to some time to listen to the whole thing, maybe driving around. Though maybe not, got my first snow as a Vermonter. Not much, but was sticking, then melted, then started up again. Heard it was worse further south, but could be a good excuse to laze about and listen to fresh Dead. Haven't popped on 10/31/71 yet either. Still have Wake of the Flood to finish, and have yet to check 11/1/73. Missed opportunity 50 years later...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 3 months

Thanks DL and Rhino team for this awesome reflection of ‘71 and the added ‘70 tracks! Keeps me coming back for more! Also, more Bill Walton bio then you’ll ever need….

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Numb

Daves 48 arrived this morning, which is pretty good going considering I live in England. I played the 1970 show first, and was immediately struck by how loud the organ was. I wondered if it was someone else at first - but nope, just Pigpen. The organ seems to disappear after this opening "Dancing", too. The highlight for me is the jam between "Good Lovin" and "St. Stephen". With no rapping, there is more emphasis on playing, and Phil is pleasingly to the fore. On this and the whole cd, come to that. Great the way the riff to "St. Stephen" appears in the "Good Lovin" section as part of the jam before it disappears only to return later as the song introduction.
So, a good cd. Maybe not earth shattering, but really good nonetheless.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Saved DiP2 on vinyl for Halloween night, is an excellent release, at least for me. I tried a couple of full shows on vinyl, flipping 7 discs just kills the momentum for me. But DiP2 and the Dark Star are exactly what I want out of a vinyl release, the big jam, a couple flips at the most. Also, as most of you know, the DS jam is special, even for DS.

got a good number on a DaP for the first time ever, #5555, cool.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by gratefulgerd

#15850 arrived at the local PO on Halloween while I was down in the Apache NF at 9000 ft+. Spinning Disc 1 right now - very cool to hear Keith's piano lines on Bertha - love the phrasing. Thanks to Dave and all involved for another sweet year of picks. Subscribed for 2024 day of announcement from the parking lot of the Springerville AZ Safeway before heading into the land of little/no cell service. Couldn't even wait a week! Be well everybody.

Edit 1: man o man does that First Set rock!! Love it!!

Edit 2: Garcia's briefcase? - no thank you

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by bluecrow

This is the Fall '71 show I didn't know I needed and that I really really needed. What a fun listen!!

Five smoking craters for that Other One. More of that please!

Disc 3 at the Kiel later this evening.

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by Vguy72

on ESPN...two Las Vegas Knight players (I have no idea who, maybe VGUY can clue me in) are in an ESPN breakroom washing the Stanley Cup in a dishwasher...pretty funny...I love all of those silly promos of theirs....

I guess, reading the notes in the booklet, that Bill Walton is quite well known in The States. I've heard of him, through reading about The Dead, but I have no idea who he is apart from that.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

Bill Walton was a great basketball player, played for UCLA in college. Played in the NBA and won a championship with the Portland Trailblazers. I saw him one time after a December show at the Oakland Auditorium walking down the street, I didn't know who he was, I said to my friends,
God dam that guys tall!

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

When I first saw the setlist to this show, the pairing of The Other One and Ramble On Rose did stand out as curious. I wondered if a spacey jam petered out into Ramble On, but no! Out of a fiery and, yet also funky (dig that groovy second jam after the Cumberland meets Me and My Uncle Jam), Other One comes an angry Ramble On Rose worthy of a screen name. And it ain't just the guitar that comes in hot, Jerry's spitting out the vocals. This ain't no ragtime. I have a new favorite version of that one. Previous was 6/23/74's show opener for DaP 34.

Also, very odd mix by Rex. I was super excited about the sound when I heard Rex was recordist. I love the sound on the previous show, 11/17/71 DaP 26, the saloon piano sound fit better in the mix on that one. This one has an odd sound field, but it makes me feel like I'm standing on the stage next to Bob as he sings Sugar Magnolia. Though I doubt I could hear the piano that well onstage. I wonder if the FM broadcast had anything to do with it.

Overall, interesting Pick. Very different show than Albuquerque despite the similar setlists. Very different energy. Looking forward to the Not Fade Away as I love the ABQ one about as much as others love the 11/15/71 Austin, TX one from Road Trips series.

Me like. Love 71.

I put it a tad behind Albuquerque and Austin, but excellent nonetheless. Keith is way, way high in the mix. Especially on Bertha. The Other One. Yeah, The Other One. Very cool.

Halloween tradition. Spinning DP2 Dark Star dressed in a Blackhawks jersey. Got lots of Connor Bedard comments this year as I was handing out gummies to the youngins. We’ll see kiddos. We’ll see.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

Found out that while I was out in the woods the Blackhawks took down the Knights handing them their first loss of the season. Bedard goal was a little bit of lightning. Hoping for a strong Hawk season.

user picture

Member for

7 years

It's always the right choice. Chugged down a 'Wrench' Hazy IPA tallboy. Chicks dig it. Sarge in the picture on the left liked IPA's for some reason. He dug it on ice, like himself.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

This seems to have a much lighter touch than the 1970 show on cd 3. I wasn't sure about how loud Keith is on "Bertha" - he seems to be the one driving it the way the mix has been presented. Either the sound becomes a bit more balanced or I adjust, because he seems a bit more integrated as the set develops. I've only listened to the first 10 songs of the first cd so far, but it's all good stuff for me, so far.
Billy thanks for the info re Bill Walton. I guess he's an example of someone who is very well known in The States, to the point where he needs no introduction - but who is less well known in the big wide world.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

BTK, don’t forget that Walton won a second championship with the Celtics, late in his career.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

I had to change and shorten the previous post 5 times grrr

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

…is hitting my ears in a more beautiful way.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Unable to post anything today
Edit: this one obviously worked...no idea what's going on

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Got my copy yesterday. Not bad only 9 days after shipping note.
As for both shows Dave has had another look into my collection - both are missing.
DP49 will be 4/27+28/85. Have the 4/28 show with 130min sbd, both sets with two encores.
And was a little bit wondering that no one mentioned the last Euro-Tour 1990. For me it
was a lot of fun 33 years ago...

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

The show DID go on. Yes, Bill got Covid, but the sub was the drummer from Vampire Weekend. Small crowd, but for the faithful a good ol' time. Here's your setlist:
First set: Don't Ease, I Am the Walrus, Me and My Uncle, Lazy River, Cassidy, Eyes of the World, Don't Do It, U.S. Blues
Second set: Help>Slip>Half Step, Drums, China Cat, Hard Rain>Other One tease>Hard Rain, Hurts Me Too, Foolish Heart.
Encore: So May Roads, Sgt. Pepper reprise

user picture

Member for

5 years 1 month

Has arrived! I've only been through disc #3 twice. Nice, punchy, 1970 show. I actually don't spend much time in '70 so this was a nice way to start and a nice reminder of how much I do like '70 when I visit!

This afternoon I start #48 proper!

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

But I don't have a turntable! :) The artwork was too cool to resist, so I'll take this to my album-playing friend's house for a cocktail and vinyl session.

And I was streaming the new Jaime Wyatt album, and lo and behold--there's a version of "Althea" on there.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Man, this new pick is kicking some serious ass, and I'm only 2/3 thru the first disc.

Here's the thing: you can't lump all '71 (or any other year) together when it contained two different bands. If your yardstick for '71 is the April Fillmore run, then more nuance may not register properly. But when you consider Nov '71 to be part of the run-up to spring '72, it makes a lot more sense. The Nov band is not the April band. Billy indeed is kicking ass, just like Phil and "the rest of the band" on this first set. Give me more fall '71, even without Pigpen and you all know I'm a major Pig-head.

For me, this is prime, energetic whiplash inducing GD. So glad to have it. And I'm still on Disc 1. And having fun. This is a fun show! Hats off to DL & Co.

user picture

Member for

5 years 1 month

I Agree, this release is kicking some ass! I just finished disc 1 and wow that One More Saturday Night ends the set with gusto!! Onward to set two....we are a lucky bunch!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

HF - I agree with that . From the moment Keith joined, the band entered a different era, and these Fall shows are more in line with the great shows to come in 1972 than the ones before in 1971.
A highlight of the first set for me is Tennessee Jed, with it's great middle section. The Truckin'-Other One is the centre piece though.Totally reshaped from earlier versions to great advantage. From rock and roll to the stars and back again.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

Fun show, great Cumberland, but they all are. Some not often played tunes. Next stop S.F.. Civic, New Years Eve Shows.

A comfortable show

The Brokedown made me verklempt

Not looking for a pity party, but since my Dad's passing in September I have been hit by sudden, random waves of emotion. It's like aftershocks from an earthquake or like brief seizures. The human mind/emotion center is, well, mind boggling. Just out of the blue, about 15 seconds, then back to regular life.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-48-pauley-pavilion-ucla-los-angeles-ca-112071/081227834630.html