• 1,005 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    "Basketball and music have always been alike for me, the celebration of life and all other good things. These two art forms represent the best of teamwork, constant motion, creativity, leadership, communication, focus, execution, friendship, loyalty, cooperation, hope, opportunity, purpose, sacrifice, discipline, honor, and fun. Fun to play. Fun to practice. UCLA and the Grateful Dead embody the highest levels of this celebratory joy. At UCLA, it was endless fun, every day, in every way. We couldn’t wait to get there, to get going — though it was never as much fun as when the Grateful Dead came to play with and for us." - Bill Walton

Is there anyone who knows the acoustics of Pauley Pavilion better than Bill "Grateful Red" Walton? We think not, so we signed him on as a liner note scribe for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48, the complete previously unreleased show from UCLA's Pauley Pavilion 11/20/71. He was there, after all, "driftin' and dreamin'" as the Dead shape-shifted through a first set of Americana classics from WORKINGMAN'S DEAD and AMERICAN BEAUTY into their second one featuring truly primal psychedelic jams (a 23+ minute "The Other One"). They peppered in hot takes on tracks from the recently released SKULL & ROSES ("Bertha," "Me And My Uncle," "Not Fade>GDTRFB") and road-tested tunes like "Ramble On Rose" and "Tennessee Jed" that would make the cut on the following year's EUROPE '72. It's all delivered with such precision that we've had to come up with some overtime for disc three. There you'll find 75+ minutes of music from the Kiel Opera House, St. Louis, MO, 10/24/70, with the rest of the show due sometime in the near future.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48: PAULEY PAVILION 11/20/71 was recorded by Rex Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • pine_marten

There are several "picks" which are sold out that I'd like to have. Shows I was at. Dekalb, Upton and Deer creek. Deer creek was fun. Could not remember where we parked and sat in the grass until the lot was mostly empty. The roads were empty of the fuzz by then too.

• Oroborous

You can’t really compare different eras except according to preference.
    BUT! I will say I thought 48 was a good, but not RJ pick, while 49 is one of the better shows from that year.
    Personally, there’s no comparison, I’d take 49. It’s one of my fav picks while 48 was a disappointment. Not because of the era fall 71 through 74 is magnificent, just felt there were better shows.
    But hey I dig em all and thank Dave and company for all the love and hard work they put in so we can complain LOL

• Colin Gould

Too many variables. Only you can decide which to get. If you like both eras then how much of each do you have? If I had to choose I’d probably go for 49, but that’s because I’ve got much more of 71 than 85. Luckily I don’t have to pick one because I subscribe so I get them all (as long as the delivery system works)

• 1stshow70878

Pretty sure in the Feb. GD Bulletin email yesterday they said there were only 700 DaP 49 left so I'll go with that selling out before the others. Getting hard to predict what year/era will sell quickest nowadays.
    Cheers

Edit: Correction, only less than 700 left of both DaP 48 and 49.

• uncle_tripel

...will SELL-OUT first? my money is on 49, let's GO 49; and btw, that is NOT a reference to the fourty-whiners lol

• uncle_tripel

personally, gonna stand with TN JOHN on this one; gotta believe that different gear & different recordings from two different bands during two different periods of music 14 years apart renders those releases non-comparable, and
    DAVEROCK nails it, which ERA do you like BEST?

peace all!
    uncle_tripel

• DeadVikes

I think that is a first. He only gets one?

So, which Dave's will sell out first?

There are four currently for sale now.

What will be in that 79 box Love My Girl?

• daverock

I'd go for Daves 48. In fact I have. Fall 1971 was one of the greatest periods in the Deads career - and any show from that era would trump two from 1985 for me. Not for everyone though - just depends what you like.

• TN John

I would say go for #49.
    You will be getting 2 fantastic shows from a less mined time period.
    Peace

• deadheadjohn
    Default Avatar

Between this one and Dave’s pick 49, which would yall go for as I can only afford one as much as I’d love to get both

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

"Basketball and music have always been alike for me, the celebration of life and all other good things. These two art forms represent the best of teamwork, constant motion, creativity, leadership, communication, focus, execution, friendship, loyalty, cooperation, hope, opportunity, purpose, sacrifice, discipline, honor, and fun. Fun to play. Fun to practice. UCLA and the Grateful Dead embody the highest levels of this celebratory joy. At UCLA, it was endless fun, every day, in every way. We couldn’t wait to get there, to get going — though it was never as much fun as when the Grateful Dead came to play with and for us." - Bill Walton

Is there anyone who knows the acoustics of Pauley Pavilion better than Bill "Grateful Red" Walton? We think not, so we signed him on as a liner note scribe for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48, the complete previously unreleased show from UCLA's Pauley Pavilion 11/20/71. He was there, after all, "driftin' and dreamin'" as the Dead shape-shifted through a first set of Americana classics from WORKINGMAN'S DEAD and AMERICAN BEAUTY into their second one featuring truly primal psychedelic jams (a 23+ minute "The Other One"). They peppered in hot takes on tracks from the recently released SKULL & ROSES ("Bertha," "Me And My Uncle," "Not Fade>GDTRFB") and road-tested tunes like "Ramble On Rose" and "Tennessee Jed" that would make the cut on the following year's EUROPE '72. It's all delivered with such precision that we've had to come up with some overtime for disc three. There you'll find 75+ minutes of music from the Kiel Opera House, St. Louis, MO, 10/24/70, with the rest of the show due sometime in the near future.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48: PAULEY PAVILION 11/20/71 was recorded by Rex Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

It's fun talking about 1971 and the Grateful Dead. I was baffled as a new head when I first started getting tapes from this year bc I didn't have the necessary knowledge to understand why their sound varied so drastically. In short order, I collected 2/18/71, what was labeled 4/29/71 (actually from two days of the run), 7/2/71, 10/19/71 and finally the show I always talk about, 12/5/71. I didn't realize this arbitrary span of selected dates included Mickey's departure... not to mention Pigpen's health and performance situation. I *did* know 10/19 was Keith's first show. And yet 12/5 was already an evolution, and it was only 6-7 weeks later. It still blows my mind thinking about how they created all of this ferociously distinctive music while undergoing all of this change.

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

Speaking of Keith's first show: does anyone know what time the band actually took the stage that night? I could have sworn that I read that they took the stage over an hour late, but I can't find a source

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Obeah

I don't know when they came on, I'm afraid, but that show would make a great Dave's Picks. As would 12/5/71. As would 11/7/71 I'm slightly surprised that we have had a few Fall 1971 shows released, and yet those have fallen through the cracks.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Thinking about emotions, and feelings of anxiety- or any psychological discomfort, reminds me of my own experiences of the same. 10 years ago, just after I retired, I learnt transcendental meditation from this teacher. Unexpectedly, at the same time, I started having slight panic attacks. I wasn't panicking about anything specific - but this wave of anxiety used to come over me with no warning and for no reason. Then it would go again - for no reason. I told this teacher about it, and he told me that I hadn't dealt with a lot of loss and grief in my life, and that because of this I had stored it in my subconscious. And it had been activated by meditating.
I don't know how true that was. It still happens occasionally, and I just wait for it to pass, which it always does. Sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes after as long as a week. Hasn't stopped me meditating.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Proudfoot, I'm with ya. Took two big losses last year -- father and cat (laugh if ya want, we spent 20 years together) -- and grief seems elusive, it comes and goes. Everything is a-okay one minute, the next the tears rain down at the irreparable loss.

As to "distant figures," meaning people I didn't know, I weathered Jimi, Janis, Duane, Roy, Jerry... then Gregg Allman's and Robert Hunter's passings really did me in.

Here's to acceptance... though it can be hard to achieve. Sometimes I want to tell my father what neat stuff I'm doing, but I don't have that area code to connect with him.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by jonathan918@GD

given up on that post

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

Sorry about your losses. Unfortunately, grief is an emotion that eventually hits every soul at some point. Much harder to contain and takes the joy out of some of the happiest moments.

Hate to say it but: Keep on the Sunny Side.

For me, dopamine supplements with a small anti-depressant has made me much more balanced.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

Moms been 7, and pops 3.5 years
Still happens often : (
If only I could call em up and ask some dumb question that I know they’d have the answer to

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Just keep on keepin' on PF, et al.
You're never a full fledged adult until you've had to deal with the death of parents and their estate. Still dealing with stuff 7 years after Mom and 22 years after Dad. I see them in dreams sometimes but there aren't any questions asked or answered. They and all our ancestors are our conscience. Whatever we know of right and wrong came from there. Best wishes to all.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I loved the 90 Europe tour JJ. Saw all three Wembley shows and two in Paris. I’d have loved to see the Berlin Shakedown in honour of the fall of the wall a year earlier.

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

I'm with you Daverock. 10/19 or 12/5/71, either one as a Pick would make me a very, VERY happy head.

was going to post more (about 10/19) but I got hey now'd. The reason for my inquiry - I am trying to figure out when the show actually ended, because I'm born in the very first minutes of October 20th. And I think it's entirely possible that the Grateful Dead were still playing onstage at that very moment! Does anyone know the posted/advertised start time for the 10/19 show? I've seen various times for shows on that tour - 730pm for the 29th of October; 8pm for the Felt Forum shows; 7pm for Ann Arbor.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Obeah

....likes the Golden Knights, but doesn't know any of the players names. Dad's been gone since 2009. Alzheimers. 66 years young. Terrible disease.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Pretty good chance the Dead were rocking out as you entered this world. Can't find any poster or ticket stub images with start time but my read of available history says yes. NRPS opened - Jerry played pedal steel whole set - so GD would take stage at least 1-1/2 to 2 hours after concert start time. First hand accounts on int. archive talk about almost 7 hr total concert both bands start to finish. And it sure sounds like a fun, crazy, and wild affair, complete with Hell's Angels and pyrotechnics. Been a long while since I listened to 10/19 and it was pointed out in some comments that Keith was playing organ at least part of this show (ala Pig) and then moved to piano only on tour from there on out, which is very interesting. Need to revisit. "In another time's forgotten space, your eyes looked from your mother's face . . . ."

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Vguy72

I am at the age now where people are losing friends and partners - people of our own generation. I only know one person who's got a parent still living, a woman who has a mother in her 90's. She has alzheimers ( the mother, not the daughter) and the daughter has told me she feels as though her mum died many years ago - even though she is physically still alive. Must be terrible.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by daverock

they are blocking everything now. Can I use a comma?

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

elon musk must have bought out dead net because I cannot post anything longer than a one sentence tweet

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Disc one nice enough
Disc two awesome
Disc three really rich deep sound, two tracks in

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

....the extended mix will make it through!
See? I knew it. Song kicks ass.
Check it out.
Early bird gets the worm tomorrow AM in Frankfurt Germany 🇩🇪.
Gain an hour of sleep though.
Go Dolphins🐬!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Even I like this one. It must sound even better if you subscribed.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by daverock

DAVEROCK
I’d like to say it sounds better to a subscriber but my copy has not arrived yet. It just goes to show that subscribing doesn’t get you any special treatment.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

DaP48 doesn’t sound better because I subscribed, it just cost less.
And, since I subscribed, I got a bonus disc with DaP46 which also sounds great.

Speaking of DaP46, still available.

Also still available is the STL Box.

So ‘71,’70 DaP48 and ‘73 HCSS Box sell out, but ‘72 DaP46 and ‘71,’72,’73 STL Box remain.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

Colin - that is a bummer. Mine arrived last Thursday, so hopefully your will be along soon.

Cnkd - yes, I see. On the downside, though, you had to pay for that 1979 show. Only joshing.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by daverock

again, maybe they sent it by rowboat.

so much stuff is instantaneous these days, but physical product can be mighty slow

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Calling c a n a d a, eh!
Mike, how’s it?
Getting worried about ya…
No posts, hockey or other?

Good game last night, except sorry for your loss.
Sabs actually looked like a team and didn’t give up!

And the Golden Kiniggits, fo get about it!
Made the AVs look like minor leaguers.
To quote the late great RJ “these guys are good, scary goid”

Twice through 48 etc…
Feel same as coming in: good but perhaps not RJ.
Love TOO space!
The 3rd disc helps makes the release though
Ok, I’m getting greedy, let’s see if…

Nice job on the Brent tribute!
Enjoyed like all the rest…

Yeah PF, was hoping they’d help out Bu faf, but none of my teams are whining today.
Got no chance of losing, THIS time!

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

For my money, this is a great release. A bang-em-up, late '71show from early in Keith's tenure, sans Mr. Pig, pre-72 with new songs getting a workout. Great sound, energetic show.

And the '70 artifact from a year earlier, with Pigpen in fine form and that crazy, swirling energy of '70 and earlier years when you can fairly hear the LSD in the collective bloodstream with a crescendo at the end of Lovelight that made the silence that followed absolutely deafening. In short, I'm a happy camper with 48. You folks who haven't rec'd it yet are in for a treat. Sorry to rave and stoke your hunger, but this one gets a hearty endorsement.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

I copy and pasted the hey now message as a comment, but then got hey now’d after passing the reCRAPTCHA quiz.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

I get hey Now’d every time I mention hockey

I was just trying to convey my enthusiasm for that team from the motor city beating that team from B-town

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

And have listened to DaP47 a couple of times so far

But currently am listening to DaP48 set1

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Listening to Pacific NW. Tech question.
Do wall of sound recordings sound better because of the amazing soundboard Owsley built? They do have some separation and balance not always there. I read somewhere it was hard to get all those eleven channels back to two.
Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

I really really like this one. I’ve listened to it every day. The juxtaposition with the 2 periods is fantastic. Thanx Dave Mark and everyone!!

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Thanks for weighing in, Bluecrow! Your reasoning matches with mine. And as time goes on and Grateful Dead scholarship has continued to improve, I started thinking that maybe there's a chance that I could not only say it with certainly - but might even be able to get it down to which song was being played at my, er, entrance. (exit?) That's probably a pipe dream... but 'tis a good dream...

And I'm with everyone else who is enjoying Dave's 48, the final Pick of the year. It's been a blast. In fact I've got it playing right now - Cumberland! Oh myyy. And I've got a copy of disc 3 all loaded up in the car for tomorrow's commute. Shoutout to Rex... man did a pretty darn good job with the recording given all the variables he was dealing with. It makes me want to pull out Dave's #3 for comparison - to see how far he (and the band!) came in a month's time.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

The vocals certainly suffered on the WOS recordings, that noise cancelling mic worked but was far from perfect. I think the band really enjoyed playing through the Wall of Sound and knew it was a special thing they put together, both for the fans and for themselves. You hit on a good point, mixing down to 2 tracks was a problem, I also recall hearing they were experimenting with quadrophonic output (at least on Phil's bass) and other sound projection techniques that may or may not have lent themselves well to two track recording.

They sounded great throughout this whole period and the band was playing like they meant it. Hopefully they had loads of fun as well. Whatever they were doing, whatever it was they put in the water, it worked. I am speculating that sometime in the late 60's to early 70's they realized the value of having a master and did not play they heck out of the original reel to reels. I suspect many of the late 60's shows suffered because someone was playing the originals too many times when they got home or at least it sounds that way. This seems true especially in 69, many of the tapes sound muddy and lack a crispness that does not seem to be the case in the banana box show recently released. Or it could be they are just ancient, and some benefited from better storage.

Thank whoever it is you thank that someone had the foresight to hit the record button. Without that, it would all be a dream we dreamed one afternoon long ago.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

First, the skinny columns on the new look for these forums makes the posts look longer than they really are.

Second, I can't believe I wrote something with more than six words and one paragraph that slipped past the Crapatcha and Ney How Nazis. Take that you IT weenies!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Has anyone in the U.K. NOT received it yet? My two friends who also subscribe got theirs last week. Thanks.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Immediately reminded me of Albuquerque when I started up disc one. Jerry bending the holy living realm out of the notes in particular. At times it sound like he's making his guitar speak old world Castilian. But then in contrast that very brief clean succession technique at the peak of Not Fade Away. Very expressive time for Jerry's playing. First set highlights would be Beat It On Down the Line, El Paso and Ten Jed. Second set is one giant highlight.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 3 months

Still waiting for mine. I think it will sound great irrespective of subscription status....but it would be nice to confirm mr daverock younaughty teaser!!!

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by docmarty

Is it safe to assume there are almost no new comments today as a result of efforts of the new director of Web IT at Rhino, William HeyNow?

Is it BECAUSE PEOPLE CAN'T POST?

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Looking in my book of October shows, I was surprised to see that 10/12/68 doesn't have a rose, marking it as one of the authors best shows after all. I though it had - a show so psychedelic you can hallucinate just reading about it.
What does have a rose is 10/1/94. I checked in 30 Trips, and sure enough, that is the 1994 show included. So I gave it a spin, for the first time since I got it. Jumping jehosophat -it's great! I've only played the 1st cd, but every song works.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

Daverock, Boston Garden 01-OCT-94 is indeed a fantastic show!! This was the last GREAT show I caught in person. Some may be put off by the era/just Vince but it really does smoke right out of the gate. There are some era all-timers in there too - that So Many Roads gives me chills every time; I'd be truly challenged to find a better version where Jerry just pours it all in. Help>Slip>Franklin's, Scarlet>Fire, MASSIVE Terrapin...this show really hits all of the highs. I love the tone of Jerry's Deadbolt too during this period, sorta has that acoustic-y sound and twang. Good advice is to dive into this one if some of you haven't; I was thrilled when I saw it in the Boxzilla and couldn't have agreed more on the pick for '94.

Be Well People!
Sixtus

P.S. I've been 'Hey Now'd' so many times in the past week that I'd given up all together to try and post. If this one gets through, it'll be a miracle

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Now all I have are playground taunts for the "IT weenies"!

I guess that the Vault revenue has them thinking they don't need to "build community" anymore.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

Years of effort to curb scammers and hackers from user forums have been fruitless. Recently, the good folks in Rhino's Web Security Division have added coding logic to the CrapRightAtcha portion of their famed yet problematic web site that randomly blocks 97.92346 percent of all posts written regardless of content.

In unrelated news, Scams and Hacker Intrusions are down 97.92346% at dead net.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-48-pauley-pavilion-ucla-los-angeles-ca-112071/081227834630.html