Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    DAVE’S PICKS 2024 SUBSCRIPTION BENEFITS

• Four Limited Edition, Numbered Releases
    • Highly Collectible Bonus Disc
    • Free Domestic Shipping
    • Delivered Throughout The Year
    • Early Bird Pricing - $99.98
    • A minimum savings of $39.00 over purchasing a la carte.

EARLY BIRD PRICING ENDS WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 15 AT 9:00 PM PT.

------

Here we are, entering our lucky number 13th year of the Dave's Picks series, and once again, I mean it when I say it feels like we're just getting started. Back in mid-2011 when Mark Pinkus and Doran Tyson approached me with the idea of a new archival series to be called Dave's Picks, I was thrilled, humbled, and above all honoured for this ultimate sign of trust, faith, and respect. Never did I think the series would be going for a baker's dozen of years, with many more on the horizon. Our aim remains exactly the same as it was in 2012 when the Dave's Picks series started: bring you A+ complete Grateful Dead shows, sounding better than ever, beautifully packaged, four times per year. A series that began with 12,000 units of each volume is now at 25,000 and sometimes that might not even be enough, and this is a testament to Rhino never veering off the path of its vision to treat Dead Heads with respect and caring. Everything we release, just as everything we do as it relates to the Grateful Dead's legacy, begins with the question, "is this cool? Is this something I'd like?"

To our subscribers, we really couldn't do this without you. You give us the faith that we're on the right track, trusting us to fill your mailbox with the goods four times per year. We put a tremendous amount of work into the subscribers' exclusive Bonus Disc that comes with the second volume every year, and that's to say thank you for joining us on this journey that doesn't have a specific destination. Speaking of the Bonus Disc, wait until you see what we have planned for the extra CD that will come to you along with Volume 50. Were I a younger fellow, I'd insert the "mind-blown" emoji here. Suffice it to say, we think it will blow your mind. After a year of tremendous variety with 2023's four offerings from 1977 (two complete shows!), 1972 (Keith and Donna!), 1979 (Brent!), and 1971 (Keith, with Pigpen on hiatus!), we are already planning a wild ride in 2024, starting with a 4-CD mega set featuring TWO complete shows from April 27 and 28, 1985, at the Frost. And Vol. 50? An upper-tier Dead show that's been on our release list for many years. The time is perfect for this show (shows...?) to be the one celebrating big number 50. So, thanks for coming along for another year. We really appreciate it and won't let you down.

David Lemieux
    September 2023

Another year of complete previously unreleased live Grateful Dead shows? Yes, please! By now we’re certain you know that a subscription is your best bet for getting each of the four numbered, limited-edition releases (now totaling a minimum of 13 CDs), delivered to your door quarterly. You’ll also get the subscription exclusive bonus disc, which remains one of the most highly sought-after collectables we release, and free U.S. shipping. Subscriber bonus discs are not released outside of this offer. As always, early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $119.92).

Dave's Picks 2024 will be capped at 25,000 copies of each release. Your best bet is to subscribe, sit back, and relax all year long!

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • uncle_tripel

...graphics for Dave's Vol. #50
    GREAT job!

uncle_tripel

• uncle_tripel

... my own questions lol; recent on-line research gave me some insight, and info regarding the lack of representation of particular years in the daP series.

Here are some words from Light Into Ashes (feb. 2011) quoting Mr. Lemieux "If we had Betty Boards, if we had reel-to-reel properly [mixed] tapes of every show in the ‘80s, believe me, we would be seeing a lot more ‘80s releases.” AND “There have been a lot of requests for 1984-88 DPs. Many don’t realize that those years have atrocious sound quality.”

Also quoting Mr. Norman, “If they’re PA tapes, right off the soundboard, they may not be a good, representative mix for a CD. What could happen is that Phil or Bobby might be very loud onstage; then whoever was mixing for the house wouldn’t [put] much of that bandmember in the mix; it wouldn’t be necessary… Unfortunately, the tape made from that board mix would be lacking. But yeah, there’s lots of stuff missing from the ‘80s.”

This last comment may explain some of that so-called echo / reverb we can faintly hear in 1985 tapes.

LOVE ALL the HARD WORK this TEAM PERFORMS!
    YOU ALL are truly the SMILE MAKERS!

peace all!
    uncle_tripel

• uncle_tripel

...to THINKIN' yesterday about how EXCITING the sonic travels of the 36 DiP's & 50 DaP's releases have been SO FAR. In August this year, DaP begins #51 onwards to #100... anyway the years that have been largely FOCUSED
    upon include:
    '74 & '77 (7 each year)
    '73 (5 for this year)
    '71 & '72 & '78 (4 for each year)
    '69 & '76 (3 each year)

QUESTION: will there be DaP 2-track recordings released featuring the years of '68, '75, '82, '86, '88, '89, '91 thru '95 ?
    could it be some of these years ONLY have MULTI-track recordings and don't qualify for a DaP release?

anyone care to comment with insight or opinion?

So you know I've been a soldier in the armies of the night, & I'll find the fatal error in what's otherwise ALL RIGHT.
    Something shines around you that seems, to my DELIGHT...
    ...just a little light.

• Obeah

Oh wow, I just came across Elliott Peck's statement. Wishing her and her family much patience and peace.

As someone who had major abdominal surgery five summers ago, I was blessed to have two capable surgeons and an amazing crew of nurses who took care of me while I was on the post-surgical ward for nearly a week afterwards. And with a no-bend, no-lift restriction, I was basically helpless for another month after that. So although it was very humbling, I was always aware of how very fortunate I was. I recovered in full, and all of my awful stomach/digestive woes have been a thing of the past ever since. So Elliott, I doubt you'll see this, but if you do please allow me to wish you a successful procedure(s) and a speedy and complete recovery.

• uncle_tripel

...(201)-777-8653 was the grateful dead hotline and how us East Coast HEADS "stay(ed) in touch", phone re-dial was REQUIRED lol; today we have dead.net. what WILL we DO in 2039...?

peace all!
    uncle_tripel

• 1stshow70878

I do that all the time with those two names. I call it Anheuser's disease instead of Alzheimer's since I was born in STL. Thanks Gerd. Will correct. Howdy back at ya!
    Cheers

• gratefulgerd

1stshow,
    are you sure it's Marty Robbins who owns/owned the CW B-Bender?
    Or is it Marty Stewart who bought it from CW's family?

I'm a huge GP and Byrds fan too.

Greetings to CO!
    G.

• TN John

Just announced she has a tumor in her abdomen that will require a complex surgery.
    Positive vibes for her!
    Peace

• 1stshow70878

Tragedy seems to follow the famous. Clarence and his brother killed by a drunk driver while loading up their gear after a gig I think it said. I gotta get some Clarence White. Marty Robbins (OOPS, Stewart) owns the "B- bender" strat and Tony Rice had his modified Martin D-28 acoustic.
    Cheers

• Colin Gould

Great player. He was the person being referenced by Gram Parsons in the second verse of the track ‘In My Hour of Darkness’ on ‘Grievous Angel’.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

2 years 11 months

DAVE’S PICKS 2024 SUBSCRIPTION BENEFITS

• Four Limited Edition, Numbered Releases
• Highly Collectible Bonus Disc
• Free Domestic Shipping
• Delivered Throughout The Year
• Early Bird Pricing - $99.98
• A minimum savings of $39.00 over purchasing a la carte.

EARLY BIRD PRICING ENDS WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 15 AT 9:00 PM PT.

------

Here we are, entering our lucky number 13th year of the Dave's Picks series, and once again, I mean it when I say it feels like we're just getting started. Back in mid-2011 when Mark Pinkus and Doran Tyson approached me with the idea of a new archival series to be called Dave's Picks, I was thrilled, humbled, and above all honoured for this ultimate sign of trust, faith, and respect. Never did I think the series would be going for a baker's dozen of years, with many more on the horizon. Our aim remains exactly the same as it was in 2012 when the Dave's Picks series started: bring you A+ complete Grateful Dead shows, sounding better than ever, beautifully packaged, four times per year. A series that began with 12,000 units of each volume is now at 25,000 and sometimes that might not even be enough, and this is a testament to Rhino never veering off the path of its vision to treat Dead Heads with respect and caring. Everything we release, just as everything we do as it relates to the Grateful Dead's legacy, begins with the question, "is this cool? Is this something I'd like?"

To our subscribers, we really couldn't do this without you. You give us the faith that we're on the right track, trusting us to fill your mailbox with the goods four times per year. We put a tremendous amount of work into the subscribers' exclusive Bonus Disc that comes with the second volume every year, and that's to say thank you for joining us on this journey that doesn't have a specific destination. Speaking of the Bonus Disc, wait until you see what we have planned for the extra CD that will come to you along with Volume 50. Were I a younger fellow, I'd insert the "mind-blown" emoji here. Suffice it to say, we think it will blow your mind. After a year of tremendous variety with 2023's four offerings from 1977 (two complete shows!), 1972 (Keith and Donna!), 1979 (Brent!), and 1971 (Keith, with Pigpen on hiatus!), we are already planning a wild ride in 2024, starting with a 4-CD mega set featuring TWO complete shows from April 27 and 28, 1985, at the Frost. And Vol. 50? An upper-tier Dead show that's been on our release list for many years. The time is perfect for this show (shows...?) to be the one celebrating big number 50. So, thanks for coming along for another year. We really appreciate it and won't let you down.

David Lemieux
September 2023

Another year of complete previously unreleased live Grateful Dead shows? Yes, please! By now we’re certain you know that a subscription is your best bet for getting each of the four numbered, limited-edition releases (now totaling a minimum of 13 CDs), delivered to your door quarterly. You’ll also get the subscription exclusive bonus disc, which remains one of the most highly sought-after collectables we release, and free U.S. shipping. Subscriber bonus discs are not released outside of this offer. As always, early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $119.92).

Dave's Picks 2024 will be capped at 25,000 copies of each release. Your best bet is to subscribe, sit back, and relax all year long!

user picture

Member for

11 years

The Race is On, order placed and confirmed, no issues.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by dmcvt

Here it is. Sticking with 25,000.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Third to skate on the fresh ice.
Sweet! Can't wait.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Let the speculation begin!
Most intriguing: 51
"different line-up"
"haven't hit in a very, very, very long time"
Three very(s) equals primal?
Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

Dennis love it about the Wife I know what you mean :)

Got it.....ordered

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

Pre-Ordered
Subscribed
PLAY DEAD ALL DAY
PLAY DEAD LOUD

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

subbed

And yeah, 25K... I thought after the fairly slow pace of sales for the 2023 Picks that they might drop the numbers down a bit. Then again, they limited Here Comes Sunshine to 10K and it sold out very quickly, though I figured that had more to do with the reputation of those shows than anything else. Whatever, I'm glad the business is good enough that Dave and the gang will keep doing what they do!

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

Order placed & the discount code CC22SLA15WMG worked too. Saved a few pounds for them to be sent to the UK. Happy days!

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Thank you for finally giving us some '85!! Maybe some Fall tour next choice? 85 Box in 2025 too much to wish for?? Enjoy, all, and thanks Dave & crew!!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

The He's Gone ..on it sry dealing with some sorrow,,, rad long drums/jam into the other ......yes get your sub its always Grateful Dead....oh and been writing haiku dig it Kerouac

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

2 years 3 months

Am I crazy to think/hope/pray that No. 50 show (or shows) could be the Watkins Glen show and soundcheck? More like a 51st anniversary by then but close enough. If anyone knows, please don't tell me. Love the seaside chat reveals.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

One of the best bargains on the planet. Pretty soon I'll need to add another storage rack.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Thirteenth year in a row subscribing (14th including the last year of the Road Trips series). Awesome choice to kick off 2024! Among the neglected release years, 85 has a lot of gems with unique sets and performances. The Frost was host to many epic performances. Will be awesome.

Watkins Glen for #50 would be fantastic with the sound check for the bonus disc. All the more reason to subscribe. Certainly fits Dave's description.

Hopefully #51 or #52 will hit on some December 90 or 91.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by SPACEBROTHER

Early bird pricing is a grate deal.
And the bonus disc.
I listen to all eras, so happy with some ‘85, and would like DaP51 to be a ‘91 or 3-30-94 if it’s going to be just Vince.

DaP50
A 2-CD bonus would be a grate gesture to thank the loyal subscribers. As Dave says on the seaside chat, and written above, it’s the subscribers who keep this series running, not the ala carte sales.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 8 months

but my experience with '85 is his voice is pretty much uniformly horrible. Hope these are an exception.

As for #50, I'm guessing some combination of 5/25 and 6/8/74. Would be released right around the 50th anniversary of these shows, and they're pretty much the only ones from that period not already released in some form.

Agreed with the poster who said Dave's clues for #51 point towards a Primal Dead release. I'd guess '68.

user picture

Member for

9 months 3 weeks

Just ordered my first DaP subscription for ‘24. Bought a few “that’s it for these ones” and knew I couldn’t keep avoiding. Bring on ‘85 shows, DiP 21 is a fave.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

1 year 5 months

Something they haven’t hit in a long time—so it’s either early Dead, ‘68 like others have speculated…or the opposite end, ‘91-‘92 which, correct me if I’m wrong, haven’t been hit since the download series and Dick’s picks prior to that. I like the variety so I won’t be upset by either…but secretly hoping for ‘68. Subscribed for 2024 and added that Dave’s 2 vinyl to the cart as well, because I was already here…

Edit: also 1980 has been neglected for about a decade. But unlikely since they’re hitting ‘85 first thing in 2024.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I just subscribed as always. It seriously is the best deal around, I love it. As for Vol 50, I agree with everyone that Dave L and the crew are going to go all out on this one. The thing is what could it be? Again, I am thinking 1968 or 1970 as those are 2 years that many of us have asked for and have not have too many shows released. I like to think that the occasion calls for something from "back in the day".

Looking at everything that has been given the official release by the band, most of the top rated shows (Deadbase and other sources) have seen the light of day. We have got many complete shows from legendary runs and tours. Now I know there are more shows that fit this description, but many are going to fall in the post hiatus or Brent era. I don't think Vol. 50 will be anything from that. I also do not think it will be a show from 1974 as the Mars Hotel 50th should capture that. 1973 was covered pretty well this year. 1972 and 1971 have been well represented. So it has to be 1970 or before, but I don't think 1969 is as likely as we have a decent amount of those shows released.

For pre hiatus shows, 1970, 1968, and even 1967 are underrepresented. I also know the the availability of tapes is an issue in those years so likely that has limited how much we have got. Which is why Vol 50 is the perfect time to unleash some of the shows from these years.

Honestly I am just happy with anything we will get, but the excitement of discovering what is coming, at least for me, is building.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by dmcvt

Frost 85

Yummy

Edit....

GOD BLESS THE GRATEFUL DEAD.

Their music keeps my hope alive. Without GD, I would be a very bummed individual, indeed.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

9/19/70

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Got my order through without any problems for a change. Looking forward to another year of fantastic shows to keep me sane in this crazy world. Hoping for Watkins Glen for 50.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Just a wild guess but could DaP50 be a couple of Ark shows with the bonus disc being a bit of the third?

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I was at these '85 Frost shows. Don't get your hopes too high, the playing is good but Jerry's voice is indeed horrible, especially on the 2nd day, check out the Archive. Can't believe they went ahead with these. You'd think Dave would have picked '82 Frost, both great shows.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Agreed, $100/year to have 14 CDs of Grateful Dead music delivered to my door from the Vault? No brainer!

A 50th for #50 would indicate to me a '74 show. As for #51, I would love to see the two recently uncovered '68 shows released -- that would be really wonderful.

And then there's the 2024 box. Geez, not complaining, but I barely get through each year's box when the next arrives. I'm like a kid playing in the mud on a rainy day..........

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

why? never had a problem before, won't work either as guest or signed in as member, this was going to be my last sub anyway, but why won't it work? Mary? anybody

We are it…which to me means if we don’t support these releases, they will not last!
Watch how surprised Dave is in the video that it’s gone on this long.
It’s 4, no 5 concerts for a hundo, whale else can you get four concerts, in any format, for that?
And yes, boo hoo, your NOT always gonna get what YOU want, imagine that, FFS!
Don’t think of it as a negative, perhaps it’s a opportunity to do something nice! Like give that horrible (fill in the year) show you just couldn’t possibly survive listening to, to someone who’ll love it?
Turn that frown upside down!

85: picky DH would have chosen something different from the year, but these shows are definitely worthy!
I’m stoked to finally get something from one of my favorite years. Finally!
And since he didn’t go to summer tour, maybe that means there’s still hope for a summer box…

50: something that he can’t believe hasn’t been out yet, and/or the bonus disc should have been out on its own?
Hmmmm, Watkins Glen would fit that, but would it all fit?
You’d think they’d do a 74 this year, but maybe not? There’s about 11 shows left, and all kinds of fragments.
I could see frags being a bonus for Mars Hotel (staying with one disc). But I don’t feel like any of the remaining are worthy of such a big tease, and don’t see anything for a bonus that would fit the hyperbole…
1970 maybe…?

Though you’d think that would fit the 51 tease: haven’t had a straight up 70 release since DaP 30. It could also fit the unusual band lineup clue if you had TC in the mix. Been awhile for 76 and 80, but they don’t fit “band lineup” criteria.
Same with primal, except perhaps early primal! Say something with the original lineup, before Mickey etc…
Haven’t done any of that since what? Ist album 50th bonus and/or Boxilla?
Something post Brent might fit, except he said haven’t had anything from this line up in a long time.
Technically, he hasn’t done a Dave’s post B yet, but by way back, maybe he means since DaP came out, which couid mean a post Brent 90s?
Wildcard: 12/18/73 as DG was on maturity leave, so technically a different lineup, and they haven’t released anything from those magic ten shows in so long I can’t remember when?

Ok, let’s see if this posts?

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

or can I?

Nope. I cannot post my original text, no matter what. I removed all proper nouns and punctuation

My point was similar to Oro below, in that it's great that we receive such variety for so little, and one can believe it if you need it, and if you don't . . .

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 8 months

6-30-74 is an epic 50th anniversary show, none of which has been released. Playin/Uncle John's sandwich to close the 1st set. China>Rider to open the 2nd. The big jam includes Truckin', Eyes and Stella, followed by a RnR finish of NFA>GDTRFB>OMSN.

A nice companion as bonus disc would be highlights from 7-25-74. It has a Dark Star and WRSuite, neither of which appear on the 6-30 show.

user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

I am in for another year, great sales job, Dave! I had been hedging after the St. Louis 79 show, but then the addition of the 1970 material to 48 and then Dave practically telling us 50 is going to be a monster show... count me in.

I had a cassette back in the day that had partial of the Frost 85 first night-- from Tom Thumb and the funny stage banter through Eyes of the World. Jerry is smokin' on guitar, vocals not so much from my recollection. But the guitar... I always liked the portion of that show I had and look forward to hearing the entire show in cleaned up high sonic quality, which my cassette was decidedly not.

50: I am going with Dane County Coliseum, 2-15-73. That is a monster of a show that really should have been released a loooong time ago. Not sure what the bonus would be, but that is what I am putting out there.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Ref' Dave's 50: 1972-09-28 is the last sleeping Monster in the vault so far as I can tell (unless we can get Plangeant-ation of full show DiP 1) 😁

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by alan_t

You are of course right Alan: I'm simply beered-up and putting in an incoherent request to Dave! Hopefully it shows up as either a DaP one day or as the Stand-alone from a big box: it's the main reason I keep checking in these days 😊

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

I haven’t listened to those in years and have no memory of them. So it will be new to me.
I prefer summer 85, but maybe we’ll get a summer 85 Box in 2025 since there isn’t enough material for a 75 Box.

Oro might be on to something with TC in the mix as a lineup that is different and should have been released already.

Otherwise yes, Vatkins Glen as ‘Henry Kissinger’ pronounces it.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

I haven’t listened to those in years and have no memory of them. So it will be new to me.
I prefer summer 85, but maybe we’ll get a summer 85 Box in 2025 since there isn’t enough material for a 75 Box.

Oro might be on to something with TC in the mix as a lineup that is different and should have been released already.

Otherwise yes, Vatkins Glen as ‘Henry Kissinger’ pronounces it.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

The first post was denied due to a wrong reCRAPTCHA answer.
Apparently reCRAPTCHA got overruled.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

If you're still having trouble ordering, send me a PM!
user picture

Member for

16 years

I am so happy to hear these shows have been selected for Dave’s Picks 2024. I was at both and had such a memorable weekend at Frost.

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Wouldn't it be cool if Dave's Picks 50 was 12/18/73 and the bonus was the part of 12/19/73 that wasn't released as part of Dick's Picks 1??

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by estimated-eyes

Yes! 2 15 73

Bonus material should be 2 17 73 HCS > CCS > IKYR

!

As Beavis and Butthead would say...

"YES! YES!"

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

Blind Man That would be great I was at both shows the first show police were harassing people on the floor if you struck a match or lit a lighter and were removing people. Very stressful for the State we were in The second show we sat off to the side and relaxed I remember Phil noticed what was going and started to play the Bass Very LOUD! .
and shook the building

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

Number 50 would be great to have a booklet as with the end of Dick’s Picks. I don’t remember if it came automatically or you had to order it. I know with instant access today it’s not necessary but this old guy still checks it out occasionally
No problem ordering although years ago I found signing into PayPal then ordering eliminated a problem I was having

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Chuck

I listened to the Playing-Dark Star- Morning Dew-Playing jam form 10/18/72. Some proper bass playing there alright.

Another factor in purchasing cds if you don't live in The States is that they are much, much more expensive. This last one I have bought cost 43 dollars.
I had a quick count last night, and I've got 42 Dave's Picks. Disappointing that he seem to feel you are of less value if you no longer subscribe.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by snafu

Few typing errors down below, but I daren't come out to correct them in case they don't let me back in again.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by snafu

Snafu, are you referring to liner notes?

I could be wrong but I am fairly certain all Dave's Picks have come with liner notes.

For Dick's #36, they included a write up of Bear's recording process which is interesting.

Still no shipping notice here.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/2024-daves-picks-subscription-early-bird/081227817411.html