Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    DAVE’S PICKS 2024 SUBSCRIPTION BENEFITS

• Four Limited Edition, Numbered Releases
    • Highly Collectible Bonus Disc
    • Free Domestic Shipping
    • Delivered Throughout The Year
    • Early Bird Pricing - $99.98
    • A minimum savings of $39.00 over purchasing a la carte.

EARLY BIRD PRICING ENDS WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 15 AT 9:00 PM PT.

------

Here we are, entering our lucky number 13th year of the Dave's Picks series, and once again, I mean it when I say it feels like we're just getting started. Back in mid-2011 when Mark Pinkus and Doran Tyson approached me with the idea of a new archival series to be called Dave's Picks, I was thrilled, humbled, and above all honoured for this ultimate sign of trust, faith, and respect. Never did I think the series would be going for a baker's dozen of years, with many more on the horizon. Our aim remains exactly the same as it was in 2012 when the Dave's Picks series started: bring you A+ complete Grateful Dead shows, sounding better than ever, beautifully packaged, four times per year. A series that began with 12,000 units of each volume is now at 25,000 and sometimes that might not even be enough, and this is a testament to Rhino never veering off the path of its vision to treat Dead Heads with respect and caring. Everything we release, just as everything we do as it relates to the Grateful Dead's legacy, begins with the question, "is this cool? Is this something I'd like?"

To our subscribers, we really couldn't do this without you. You give us the faith that we're on the right track, trusting us to fill your mailbox with the goods four times per year. We put a tremendous amount of work into the subscribers' exclusive Bonus Disc that comes with the second volume every year, and that's to say thank you for joining us on this journey that doesn't have a specific destination. Speaking of the Bonus Disc, wait until you see what we have planned for the extra CD that will come to you along with Volume 50. Were I a younger fellow, I'd insert the "mind-blown" emoji here. Suffice it to say, we think it will blow your mind. After a year of tremendous variety with 2023's four offerings from 1977 (two complete shows!), 1972 (Keith and Donna!), 1979 (Brent!), and 1971 (Keith, with Pigpen on hiatus!), we are already planning a wild ride in 2024, starting with a 4-CD mega set featuring TWO complete shows from April 27 and 28, 1985, at the Frost. And Vol. 50? An upper-tier Dead show that's been on our release list for many years. The time is perfect for this show (shows...?) to be the one celebrating big number 50. So, thanks for coming along for another year. We really appreciate it and won't let you down.

David Lemieux
    September 2023

Another year of complete previously unreleased live Grateful Dead shows? Yes, please! By now we’re certain you know that a subscription is your best bet for getting each of the four numbered, limited-edition releases (now totaling a minimum of 13 CDs), delivered to your door quarterly. You’ll also get the subscription exclusive bonus disc, which remains one of the most highly sought-after collectables we release, and free U.S. shipping. Subscriber bonus discs are not released outside of this offer. As always, early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $119.92).

Dave's Picks 2024 will be capped at 25,000 copies of each release. Your best bet is to subscribe, sit back, and relax all year long!

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • uncle_tripel

...graphics for Dave's Vol. #50
    GREAT job!

uncle_tripel

• uncle_tripel

... my own questions lol; recent on-line research gave me some insight, and info regarding the lack of representation of particular years in the daP series.

Here are some words from Light Into Ashes (feb. 2011) quoting Mr. Lemieux "If we had Betty Boards, if we had reel-to-reel properly [mixed] tapes of every show in the ‘80s, believe me, we would be seeing a lot more ‘80s releases.” AND “There have been a lot of requests for 1984-88 DPs. Many don’t realize that those years have atrocious sound quality.”

Also quoting Mr. Norman, “If they’re PA tapes, right off the soundboard, they may not be a good, representative mix for a CD. What could happen is that Phil or Bobby might be very loud onstage; then whoever was mixing for the house wouldn’t [put] much of that bandmember in the mix; it wouldn’t be necessary… Unfortunately, the tape made from that board mix would be lacking. But yeah, there’s lots of stuff missing from the ‘80s.”

This last comment may explain some of that so-called echo / reverb we can faintly hear in 1985 tapes.

LOVE ALL the HARD WORK this TEAM PERFORMS!
    YOU ALL are truly the SMILE MAKERS!

peace all!
    uncle_tripel

• uncle_tripel

...to THINKIN' yesterday about how EXCITING the sonic travels of the 36 DiP's & 50 DaP's releases have been SO FAR. In August this year, DaP begins #51 onwards to #100... anyway the years that have been largely FOCUSED
    upon include:
    '74 & '77 (7 each year)
    '73 (5 for this year)
    '71 & '72 & '78 (4 for each year)
    '69 & '76 (3 each year)

QUESTION: will there be DaP 2-track recordings released featuring the years of '68, '75, '82, '86, '88, '89, '91 thru '95 ?
    could it be some of these years ONLY have MULTI-track recordings and don't qualify for a DaP release?

anyone care to comment with insight or opinion?

So you know I've been a soldier in the armies of the night, & I'll find the fatal error in what's otherwise ALL RIGHT.
    Something shines around you that seems, to my DELIGHT...
    ...just a little light.

• Obeah

Oh wow, I just came across Elliott Peck's statement. Wishing her and her family much patience and peace.

As someone who had major abdominal surgery five summers ago, I was blessed to have two capable surgeons and an amazing crew of nurses who took care of me while I was on the post-surgical ward for nearly a week afterwards. And with a no-bend, no-lift restriction, I was basically helpless for another month after that. So although it was very humbling, I was always aware of how very fortunate I was. I recovered in full, and all of my awful stomach/digestive woes have been a thing of the past ever since. So Elliott, I doubt you'll see this, but if you do please allow me to wish you a successful procedure(s) and a speedy and complete recovery.

• uncle_tripel

...(201)-777-8653 was the grateful dead hotline and how us East Coast HEADS "stay(ed) in touch", phone re-dial was REQUIRED lol; today we have dead.net. what WILL we DO in 2039...?

peace all!
    uncle_tripel

• 1stshow70878

I do that all the time with those two names. I call it Anheuser's disease instead of Alzheimer's since I was born in STL. Thanks Gerd. Will correct. Howdy back at ya!
    Cheers

• gratefulgerd

1stshow,
    are you sure it's Marty Robbins who owns/owned the CW B-Bender?
    Or is it Marty Stewart who bought it from CW's family?

I'm a huge GP and Byrds fan too.

Greetings to CO!
    G.

• TN John

Just announced she has a tumor in her abdomen that will require a complex surgery.
    Positive vibes for her!
    Peace

• 1stshow70878

Tragedy seems to follow the famous. Clarence and his brother killed by a drunk driver while loading up their gear after a gig I think it said. I gotta get some Clarence White. Marty Robbins (OOPS, Stewart) owns the "B- bender" strat and Tony Rice had his modified Martin D-28 acoustic.
    Cheers

• Colin Gould

Great player. He was the person being referenced by Gram Parsons in the second verse of the track ‘In My Hour of Darkness’ on ‘Grievous Angel’.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

DAVE’S PICKS 2024 SUBSCRIPTION BENEFITS

• Four Limited Edition, Numbered Releases
• Highly Collectible Bonus Disc
• Free Domestic Shipping
• Delivered Throughout The Year
• Early Bird Pricing - $99.98
• A minimum savings of $39.00 over purchasing a la carte.

EARLY BIRD PRICING ENDS WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 15 AT 9:00 PM PT.

------

Here we are, entering our lucky number 13th year of the Dave's Picks series, and once again, I mean it when I say it feels like we're just getting started. Back in mid-2011 when Mark Pinkus and Doran Tyson approached me with the idea of a new archival series to be called Dave's Picks, I was thrilled, humbled, and above all honoured for this ultimate sign of trust, faith, and respect. Never did I think the series would be going for a baker's dozen of years, with many more on the horizon. Our aim remains exactly the same as it was in 2012 when the Dave's Picks series started: bring you A+ complete Grateful Dead shows, sounding better than ever, beautifully packaged, four times per year. A series that began with 12,000 units of each volume is now at 25,000 and sometimes that might not even be enough, and this is a testament to Rhino never veering off the path of its vision to treat Dead Heads with respect and caring. Everything we release, just as everything we do as it relates to the Grateful Dead's legacy, begins with the question, "is this cool? Is this something I'd like?"

To our subscribers, we really couldn't do this without you. You give us the faith that we're on the right track, trusting us to fill your mailbox with the goods four times per year. We put a tremendous amount of work into the subscribers' exclusive Bonus Disc that comes with the second volume every year, and that's to say thank you for joining us on this journey that doesn't have a specific destination. Speaking of the Bonus Disc, wait until you see what we have planned for the extra CD that will come to you along with Volume 50. Were I a younger fellow, I'd insert the "mind-blown" emoji here. Suffice it to say, we think it will blow your mind. After a year of tremendous variety with 2023's four offerings from 1977 (two complete shows!), 1972 (Keith and Donna!), 1979 (Brent!), and 1971 (Keith, with Pigpen on hiatus!), we are already planning a wild ride in 2024, starting with a 4-CD mega set featuring TWO complete shows from April 27 and 28, 1985, at the Frost. And Vol. 50? An upper-tier Dead show that's been on our release list for many years. The time is perfect for this show (shows...?) to be the one celebrating big number 50. So, thanks for coming along for another year. We really appreciate it and won't let you down.

David Lemieux
September 2023

Another year of complete previously unreleased live Grateful Dead shows? Yes, please! By now we’re certain you know that a subscription is your best bet for getting each of the four numbered, limited-edition releases (now totaling a minimum of 13 CDs), delivered to your door quarterly. You’ll also get the subscription exclusive bonus disc, which remains one of the most highly sought-after collectables we release, and free U.S. shipping. Subscriber bonus discs are not released outside of this offer. As always, early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $119.92).

Dave's Picks 2024 will be capped at 25,000 copies of each release. Your best bet is to subscribe, sit back, and relax all year long!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Tramjams

I hope they don't start calling round at our houses trying to sell subscriptions. I suppose even if they do, they'd never make it to somewhere as remote Lowestoft.

..how some posts get through and some don't. Why my last one did, but my previous dozen or so fascinating observations on The Dead didn't is a mystery.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by daverock

Was watching the Dave's latest message (So thanks Dave for continuing to do these releases.) And, to all the heads world wide for continuing support!

But as I was on puter, I didnt realize how connected these IT systems are. I look down afterward and there is a picture of my oldest friend. Have known him 55 years. He went to several GD shows, with me and without. It was a video of him playing "Future Times/Rejoice" by Yes on bass. He is very talented. One of many who were part of that first generation of garage bands after the Beatles/Ed Sullivan. But one that never made it, sad.

They truly know us all. Oh Crap.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

where credit is due.
Since we bitch so much about wrongs, only fair we should give credit when deserved.
Shout out to Jordon who not only promptly returned our inquiry about no confirmation, but was very polite too!
Good Job Jordan!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

2/9/73
Bonus Disc
2/17/73 Set 2

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by wissinomingdeadhead

I think the bonus disc might be a complete show that complements the main discs. So the Watkins Glen show might be a contender, with the soundtrack as the bonus disc. 1973, obviously.
Either that, or the bonus disc won't be a cd - it's be a box.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Hoping for 2 Ark shows between 50 and bonus. But agree that 2/9/73 should 100% have been put out years ago as Dave says in the video about numero 50.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I was also thinking Watkins Glen. It certainly seems like something DL would use a "mind blown" emoji for (were he a younger fellow). Is Watkins Glen too obvious? If it was under consideration would they have released it this year to commemorate 50 years 1973-2023? Can't really think of too much that would blow my mind at this point.

What outstanding material would actually blow my mind? Well, I would be surprised if they released some kind of compilation disc from January / February 1979. I'm hoping to one day see the February 17th, 1979 show released (reportedly back in the in the Vault).

I suppose 6/17/75 would blow my mind. Most of it would fit on one disc.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

@Watkins yes I agree with all of you nix 2/9 WG is the ONE!!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

There's also many shows from 1966-1968 that would fit tidily on to one cd. 66 and 67 might not be the most popular years...but 1968 would surely tick all the boxes. Mind blown? Mind blown!

I wondered about that 1975 show - but maybe that will be reserved for the bonus disc with "Blues For Allah" when it gets re-released. The only going against Watkins Glen is that we have just had that 73 box. Apart from that - it must be a contender.

user picture

Member for

6 months

Any way these will be available on VINYL???

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 months 1 week

The two full sets at the sound-tjek can not fit on 1 disc.. AND Rhino does not like other peoples music on a bonus disc.. -SO if we cut the 4 cover songs (two Berries, Big River M&M) I think it will fit on one disc. BUT the main show will not fit 3 discs, so it need to be a 4-disc set, which will also make it possible to include the 4 numbers from the day before.. we will soon know.. BW from rainy Copenhagen

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Danehead

Danehead - maybe it will all come out on as many discs as it takes, which would add to it being special for the 50th anniversary release.

Randy - now you're talking! Although the bonus disc would presumably still be for subscribers only.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Any tips on getting a preorder for Dave’s 2024 to go through and get a confirmation? Thanks!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 9 months

so soon after the recent box set. And the Watkins Glen show is just okay.

I really think the hint he is dropping is that #50 will be a 50th anniversary show. 6/30/74 would be my guess.

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

I always enjoy seeing a reference to Lowestoft - I like geography, and its location makes it interesting. If nothing else, 'tis a good answer to have tucked away for quiz night. Well... if we had quiz nights here in the 'States.

I do enjoy watching everyone speculate on 50 and 51. I've been wrong so many times I think I'm banishing myself permanently to the sidelines. I was sure there wouldn't be another Keith-era show released this year, for 48, but then of course we got one from a month into Keith's tenure. But as to Maples Pavilion 2/9/73, wasn't that the gig where they blew out all of the tweeters in the first few seconds? I know that shouldn't matter for what they were recording at the board, but somehow I always figured it was a factor in why that show has yet to see the light of day.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

In reply to by denniszipps

I do it on my phone but sign into PayPal before I go to the site. I’ve never had a problem

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

After hitting place order and a blank page comes up, hit the back arrow once or twice and see if the confirmation page shows up.

That's a nice thing to say - cheers! If Lowestoft ever came up in quiz, it would probably be in answer the question, "which is England's most Easterly town?" It's quite small - I didn't know where it was until I moved here 30 years ago for my last job!

user picture

Member for

7 months 1 week

would you come closer if...

if you haven’t listened to this full Dark Star is BEST version of ’91, DS>D>S>DS>Playin’ reprise; 4/1/91: Greensboro…51 DaP for ALL to enjoy!

Last 5:
Kingfish: Kingfish with Bob Weir (vinyl)
Joe Walsh: So What (vinyl)
Steve Miller Band: The Joker (CD)
Beatles: Revolver (vinyl)
The Miles Davis Quintet: Steamin’, recorded in 1956 by Rudy Van Gelder (CD), musicians are John Coltrane (tenor sax), Red Garland (piano), Paul Chambers (bass), Philly Joe Jones (drums)

… if I asked you to?

Peace All!
uncle_tripel

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

Cheers mate! Yes indeed, that would be the likely quiz question. But I'll wager you could trip folks up on the county, too. I didn't realize it was part of Suffolk. I guess the county line must be just north of Lowestoft? I see Hopton-on-Sea is within Norfolk.

I was listening to Dave's Volume 8 in the car, 11/30/80. I've never heard this show before. I see why it was released... I know folks rave about the Scarlet Fire, but I was late to work because that Playin' was exploring some fine territory, and I couldn't stop listening. I also recently picked up a copy of Dave's 11, 11/17/72. Friday will be the 51st anniversary of that show, so I'm saving it for that day to make my debut listen coincide w/ that date...

Uncle tripel, I am in agreement with you. I have wanted a small box of Greensboro 91 (paired with 89 would be even better), but once they broached the 4cd Dave's with 36, those shows would fit as a great 51.

Obeah, enjoy that DaP 11, still rates near the very top for me in the Series. Killer filler, as well. The 11/18/72 set 2 release on vinyl and cd for RSD 2014 is worth tracking down if you don't have that. My favorite He's Gone and Playing in the Band. My second favorite He's Gone is from the night before. That song may have peaked Fall '72, gorgeous 16 min versions. Phil does a little walkdown twice like 30 seconds from the end on 11/18 that is just a fleeting bit of beauty. I hope DaP 11 is the next vinyl DaP release. Yes, I'm already onto the NEXT DaP vinyl after vol 2, because I've already ordered that, I'm just waiting impatiently for a few months.

Should be an announcement of 50 before the cutoff on the Early Bird Price tomorrow, right? That was my assumption after that email and new video...

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

The second release announcement for the next year usually comes towards the end of December, but you never know, maybe it will get leaked again.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

My main rationale for thinking they'd do it earlier is that video from last week. Why tease "I think Rhino is gonna make an announcement soon" if that means 6-8 weeks from then? It seems like 11/15 is also an earlier than normal cutoff for Early Bird. I could swear I once bundled it in with some things on sale for Black Friday or Cyber Monday. Could also be wildly mistaken about that.

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile.
Last 5
CCR Bayou Country
Black Sabbath 1st
Rare Earth Ecology
Blue Oyster Cult Secret Treaties
Paul Revere and the Raiders Kicks
Beatles Yellow Submarine 1999 yellow vinyl

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by PT Barnum

Hey now'd again. And yet it wouldn't surprise me if this post gets through. And they wonder why we shout at them.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

50 will be revealed just before subs end

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

The problem I'm having with that is, in the 2024 announcement video, Dave specifically mentioned that now Rhino/deadnet will end the subscriptions without a firm date. They wait until a threshold sales quota is reached, then close it off. Added to that is that video from last week that says "soon", and January is not soon at all. Also, they've literally already chosen, and Jeffrey Norman is already working on it. Maybe onto 51 by this point, since Dave also knows what that will be given his commentary. Partly, I'm a bit more interested in 50 because 49 holds no interest for me at all after listening to some tracks from them and hearing Jerry's voice.

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

Oh my. Alvarhanso, I saw your comment and decided to start early on Dave's Vol 11 by playing the filler from disc 3 first. After all, today is the 51st anniversary. That Playing in the Band has been an absolutely fantastic surprise... just lovely, I could hear Kreutzmann doing his thing like he was a few feet away from me. For whatever reason - coincidence, nothing more that I can see - my collection has always had a gap in Fall '72. This has been such a treat, the Wharf Rat is sublime, NFA just beginning... I haven't even made it to the Wichita show yet.

And 11/18 - so that's Houston - isn't that the show that Parrish wrote about where he & Sparky? Ram Rod? (Can't remember)... anyway, where they slid off the road in the truck, overturned, and nearly died en route? Is that why set I doesn't circulate?

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by Obeah

Yes, that was the show that Steve Parrish crashed the gear truck, and they were hours late getting to the show, but thought that would be okay as the Allman Brothers were supposed to be doing a co-bill, but being pre-Internet days, and the Dead being on tour, I guess they didn't get the news that Berry Oakley died a week before, and so the ABB had to cancel. As to the question of only set 2, that's down to problems with the tape. As it is, some say the set that was released is a bit too Phil heavy. Being a Bear tape, that makes sense, but he is even higher in the mix than the night before.

Glad you loved that 11/15, really good stuff. The jam in that Playing is very similar to the 11/18 one, but I just prefer 11/18, particularly one part where it drops way down, then Phil comes thundering back, causing them to immediately jump back into peak jamming. I think the line he uses for that bit he actually used on the 11/15 one, too. You're gonna love Wichita.

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

Really good info about how that Houston show went down - thanks for that Alvarhanso. Comms certainly were different back then. And we take it for granted that tapes just survived, night after night, making their way back home like the rest of the kit, but when you think of all the moving pieces, all the people involved... the state of touring, with Cutler having taken over but things still flying by the seat of their pants, as Parrish describes... it's just amazing that more wasn't broken or lost.

Playing is one of those tunes that's able to feel so familiar and new night after night, but also to have moods. Eight to choose from over the Spring '77 tour, but I always come back to one. Now, I didn't have time to get into Wichita today, so I went back to that Playing from 11/15 again. That's 3 times in 2 days now... and that one has some sustained brilliance... but I guess this means I have to seek out 11/18 since you seem to know this time period well, and as I mentioned for whatever reason my collection always had a gap after Veneta. All that material from Dave's 46, for example, was entirely new to me. It's really a blast having this sort of untapped frontier to explore after all these years of listening to live Grateful Dead

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

DaP46 was announced on 12/14/22.
So there’s probably still plenty of time to speculate about what 50 will be.

user picture

Member for

7 months 1 week

That will not follow you!

Chula Vista is a lot of fun! ..and staying on course with ’85, next I went with 7/1/85, this would be a 1st as I usually listen to 6/30 several times each summer season. Nice surprise as the follow-up show, but not without some of the nuances which picky peeps won’t overlook, and really enjoyed the double-encore with Garcia's vocals on Baby Blue!

Well, it’s Friday, and the QC-35’s are fully charged and the big rakes are ready for more leafing before the rains come. And so I’m heading back outdoors and to the island to finish 3/28/85 Nassau which I started during last night’s sound muted:) NFL game, Jerry vocals on High Time:( but easily overlooked with his shredding of Cassidy! Picking it back up at ChinaCat…and on to Set 2

Hey now…
get back truckin' home!

Peace All!
uncle_tripel

Ah yes uncle_tripel that legendary 6/30 show! I need to make more space in my listening schedule for that one. For me, I listen to the show before, Hershey Park 6/28. It just scratches that itch and does it well. I love 1985. That tour (and Spring tour as well) are really a surfeit of riches - that is, if one doesn't founder on hearing Garcia's voice, and I know that's not possible for everyone.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Obeah

6/30/85 Shakedown…
Let the games begin!

user picture

Member for

7 months 1 week

...has no age!
YOWSAH shakedown! I ain't picky with either 12/31/84 or 6/30/85.

Finished an enjoyable listen to 3/28/85 and off to 7/13 Ventura. yup, I don't live without 6/28/85, it's been in the regular rotation for this head for many many years, it gets airtime every couple of months,...while we continue our, ah, singing in the rain!

Enjoy the weekend, wherever you are and whatever you are doing! Back atcha next week.

Peace All!
uncle_tripel

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by uncle_tripel

Yeah doggy, 6/28 will always be special for me, for many reasons.
Probably my favorite Dew, not saying Goat, just it was a vey very personal, psychedelic powerful experience.
Man those summer 85 shows were a blast!

And 7/13. One of my favorite all time first sets, “big fire, big ocean, LETS GET ROCKIN!”
If you listen to their chatter between songs etc, you can tell their fired up and ready to rock!

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

It truly warms the ol' heart to hear folks giving 6/28/85 some love. For the longest time I thought I was alone in how much I enjoy that show. That is a special Dew - between what Phil and Jerry were laying down, I'm sure some folks have never found all of their senses ever again

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

for the love of god
I just want to speculate about wi nterl and March 19 7 7
is it poss ible that Dave is referring to this stand of shows in his seaside chat?

Sorry for the odd spelling, I had to post it that way to avoid getting hey now'd.
Can't seem to clean it up... it simply won't let me.

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

So I went and found 11/18/72 (shnid 123077) so that I could hear that Playing.

edit: posted that stub since I got hey now'd trying to talk about the performance. Let's just say for a start that my face has melted off. I love the mix on this C Miller recording. Phil is certainly loud but I love Phil's bass so much, the worst I can say is at times it feels like I can't hear Keith. I am trying to include the name of the poster who steered me to this version... but it feels like the censor won't let me... the name starts with an A and ends with an O... THANK YOU for this recommendation! It was 51 years to the very day last night, but so very worth waiting for.

I am slowly making up for all of those years where Fall '72 went unheard by my ears. So I went to listen to Wichita last night, but I put on this Playing first and, well... Wichita has been eclipsed! I still haven't heard 11/17...instead, I've now listened to this Playing at least 5 times. I know people rave about the 5/21/74 Playing, but this one vaults ahead for me.

Wichita is tits. This Hey Now shit is getting ridiculous. Got Access Denied message for over an hour this morning.

Trying again
What sets Wichita apart to me is that terrific first set highlighted by the combo of Black Throated, Bird Song, Jack Straw from Wichita (only prior circulating copies lacked that crucial line due to an untimely tape flip), and Box of Rain after some scratching of asses had occurred. Then, a dynamite China Rider, and Casey Jones in 16 song set. Second set is sublime, and begins with Phil spelunking in the Cumberland mines (bet that man could cause a mighty cave in with some bass bombs), a gorgeous He's Gone, good Truckin into a great Other One that is so amorphous I tend to forget they sing both verses. This is a unique Other One, not a lot of parts that stand out in memory like the Hofheinz Playing, which is etched in my memory, but I love it just the same. It lacks a Phil thunder intro, I love it all the same. Best of all, it goes into a beautiful Brokedown Palace, which Phil absolutely murders. Vocally and on that there bass geetar of his. Where he was relatively laid back for TOO, he's all over Brokedown. Decent Sugar Mag, then a very nice Uncle John's closer. Johnny B Goode completes the Chuck Berry trio with show opening Promised Land and first set closing Around & Around. Had a nice 2 and half hour drive to relisten Thursday night into Friday morning on the way to picking up my in laws at the airport. Let's see if this edit is Hey Now'd.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Tramjams

I had a bad dream last night that I woke up this morning and all 142 copies of my same post that I had been trying to send all day and getting Hey Nowed all went thru overnight and my friends on this site were laughing at me. Then I woke up to reality and not one of the darn things went thru.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Yes, good stuff.
Playing now.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

80% hey now’s
20% you get through the blockade

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Hopefully the IT Po Po are still asleep.
Yes, yes and yes. Thank you sir can I please have another.
Not sure how these shows, March eighteenth thru twenty, have slipped thru the cracks but they need to be released. I know at least the twenty show was available on CD in really good sound quality but I would love to see these released with the full Norman touch.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Tramjams

It would be good if someone from Deadnet would put a post out acknowledging the problem . Maybe tell us they were working on getting it up an running again. If they didn't want to do that, maybe they could get Dave on the beach again to tell us, instead of trying to frighten us into subscribing all the time.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

So much 85 talk.. agree, it's great to see love for this year.

I think what makes it stand out is first, all the new songs added to their cannon really starting in 84. Second, the recordings cleaned up a bit from what Healy was doing in 83 and 84. I might get some pushback on this, but that's what I hear. Is this the year they were using betamax tapes? It seems in general there was less crowd noise too. We cannot say the same for 87.

Hershy, yes.. in fact all those shows mentioned get listens here.

As you were. I subscribed again, so I am good into 2024 or 1974 fifty years removed.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/2024-daves-picks-subscription-early-bird/081227817411.html