Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    DAVE’S PICKS 2024 SUBSCRIPTION BENEFITS

• Four Limited Edition, Numbered Releases
    • Highly Collectible Bonus Disc
    • Free Domestic Shipping
    • Delivered Throughout The Year
    • Early Bird Pricing - $99.98
    • A minimum savings of $39.00 over purchasing a la carte.

EARLY BIRD PRICING ENDS WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 15 AT 9:00 PM PT.

------

Here we are, entering our lucky number 13th year of the Dave's Picks series, and once again, I mean it when I say it feels like we're just getting started. Back in mid-2011 when Mark Pinkus and Doran Tyson approached me with the idea of a new archival series to be called Dave's Picks, I was thrilled, humbled, and above all honoured for this ultimate sign of trust, faith, and respect. Never did I think the series would be going for a baker's dozen of years, with many more on the horizon. Our aim remains exactly the same as it was in 2012 when the Dave's Picks series started: bring you A+ complete Grateful Dead shows, sounding better than ever, beautifully packaged, four times per year. A series that began with 12,000 units of each volume is now at 25,000 and sometimes that might not even be enough, and this is a testament to Rhino never veering off the path of its vision to treat Dead Heads with respect and caring. Everything we release, just as everything we do as it relates to the Grateful Dead's legacy, begins with the question, "is this cool? Is this something I'd like?"

To our subscribers, we really couldn't do this without you. You give us the faith that we're on the right track, trusting us to fill your mailbox with the goods four times per year. We put a tremendous amount of work into the subscribers' exclusive Bonus Disc that comes with the second volume every year, and that's to say thank you for joining us on this journey that doesn't have a specific destination. Speaking of the Bonus Disc, wait until you see what we have planned for the extra CD that will come to you along with Volume 50. Were I a younger fellow, I'd insert the "mind-blown" emoji here. Suffice it to say, we think it will blow your mind. After a year of tremendous variety with 2023's four offerings from 1977 (two complete shows!), 1972 (Keith and Donna!), 1979 (Brent!), and 1971 (Keith, with Pigpen on hiatus!), we are already planning a wild ride in 2024, starting with a 4-CD mega set featuring TWO complete shows from April 27 and 28, 1985, at the Frost. And Vol. 50? An upper-tier Dead show that's been on our release list for many years. The time is perfect for this show (shows...?) to be the one celebrating big number 50. So, thanks for coming along for another year. We really appreciate it and won't let you down.

David Lemieux
    September 2023

Another year of complete previously unreleased live Grateful Dead shows? Yes, please! By now we’re certain you know that a subscription is your best bet for getting each of the four numbered, limited-edition releases (now totaling a minimum of 13 CDs), delivered to your door quarterly. You’ll also get the subscription exclusive bonus disc, which remains one of the most highly sought-after collectables we release, and free U.S. shipping. Subscriber bonus discs are not released outside of this offer. As always, early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $119.92).

Dave's Picks 2024 will be capped at 25,000 copies of each release. Your best bet is to subscribe, sit back, and relax all year long!

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • uncle_tripel

...graphics for Dave's Vol. #50
    GREAT job!

uncle_tripel

• uncle_tripel

... my own questions lol; recent on-line research gave me some insight, and info regarding the lack of representation of particular years in the daP series.

Here are some words from Light Into Ashes (feb. 2011) quoting Mr. Lemieux "If we had Betty Boards, if we had reel-to-reel properly [mixed] tapes of every show in the ‘80s, believe me, we would be seeing a lot more ‘80s releases.” AND “There have been a lot of requests for 1984-88 DPs. Many don’t realize that those years have atrocious sound quality.”

Also quoting Mr. Norman, “If they’re PA tapes, right off the soundboard, they may not be a good, representative mix for a CD. What could happen is that Phil or Bobby might be very loud onstage; then whoever was mixing for the house wouldn’t [put] much of that bandmember in the mix; it wouldn’t be necessary… Unfortunately, the tape made from that board mix would be lacking. But yeah, there’s lots of stuff missing from the ‘80s.”

This last comment may explain some of that so-called echo / reverb we can faintly hear in 1985 tapes.

LOVE ALL the HARD WORK this TEAM PERFORMS!
    YOU ALL are truly the SMILE MAKERS!

peace all!
    uncle_tripel

• uncle_tripel

...to THINKIN' yesterday about how EXCITING the sonic travels of the 36 DiP's & 50 DaP's releases have been SO FAR. In August this year, DaP begins #51 onwards to #100... anyway the years that have been largely FOCUSED
    upon include:
    '74 & '77 (7 each year)
    '73 (5 for this year)
    '71 & '72 & '78 (4 for each year)
    '69 & '76 (3 each year)

QUESTION: will there be DaP 2-track recordings released featuring the years of '68, '75, '82, '86, '88, '89, '91 thru '95 ?
    could it be some of these years ONLY have MULTI-track recordings and don't qualify for a DaP release?

anyone care to comment with insight or opinion?

So you know I've been a soldier in the armies of the night, & I'll find the fatal error in what's otherwise ALL RIGHT.
    Something shines around you that seems, to my DELIGHT...
    ...just a little light.

• Obeah

Oh wow, I just came across Elliott Peck's statement. Wishing her and her family much patience and peace.

As someone who had major abdominal surgery five summers ago, I was blessed to have two capable surgeons and an amazing crew of nurses who took care of me while I was on the post-surgical ward for nearly a week afterwards. And with a no-bend, no-lift restriction, I was basically helpless for another month after that. So although it was very humbling, I was always aware of how very fortunate I was. I recovered in full, and all of my awful stomach/digestive woes have been a thing of the past ever since. So Elliott, I doubt you'll see this, but if you do please allow me to wish you a successful procedure(s) and a speedy and complete recovery.

• uncle_tripel

...(201)-777-8653 was the grateful dead hotline and how us East Coast HEADS "stay(ed) in touch", phone re-dial was REQUIRED lol; today we have dead.net. what WILL we DO in 2039...?

peace all!
    uncle_tripel

• 1stshow70878

I do that all the time with those two names. I call it Anheuser's disease instead of Alzheimer's since I was born in STL. Thanks Gerd. Will correct. Howdy back at ya!
    Cheers

• gratefulgerd

1stshow,
    are you sure it's Marty Robbins who owns/owned the CW B-Bender?
    Or is it Marty Stewart who bought it from CW's family?

I'm a huge GP and Byrds fan too.

Greetings to CO!
    G.

• TN John

Just announced she has a tumor in her abdomen that will require a complex surgery.
    Positive vibes for her!
    Peace

• 1stshow70878

Tragedy seems to follow the famous. Clarence and his brother killed by a drunk driver while loading up their gear after a gig I think it said. I gotta get some Clarence White. Marty Robbins (OOPS, Stewart) owns the "B- bender" strat and Tony Rice had his modified Martin D-28 acoustic.
    Cheers

• Colin Gould

Great player. He was the person being referenced by Gram Parsons in the second verse of the track ‘In My Hour of Darkness’ on ‘Grievous Angel’.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

DAVE’S PICKS 2024 SUBSCRIPTION BENEFITS

• Four Limited Edition, Numbered Releases
• Highly Collectible Bonus Disc
• Free Domestic Shipping
• Delivered Throughout The Year
• Early Bird Pricing - $99.98
• A minimum savings of $39.00 over purchasing a la carte.

EARLY BIRD PRICING ENDS WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 15 AT 9:00 PM PT.

------

Here we are, entering our lucky number 13th year of the Dave's Picks series, and once again, I mean it when I say it feels like we're just getting started. Back in mid-2011 when Mark Pinkus and Doran Tyson approached me with the idea of a new archival series to be called Dave's Picks, I was thrilled, humbled, and above all honoured for this ultimate sign of trust, faith, and respect. Never did I think the series would be going for a baker's dozen of years, with many more on the horizon. Our aim remains exactly the same as it was in 2012 when the Dave's Picks series started: bring you A+ complete Grateful Dead shows, sounding better than ever, beautifully packaged, four times per year. A series that began with 12,000 units of each volume is now at 25,000 and sometimes that might not even be enough, and this is a testament to Rhino never veering off the path of its vision to treat Dead Heads with respect and caring. Everything we release, just as everything we do as it relates to the Grateful Dead's legacy, begins with the question, "is this cool? Is this something I'd like?"

To our subscribers, we really couldn't do this without you. You give us the faith that we're on the right track, trusting us to fill your mailbox with the goods four times per year. We put a tremendous amount of work into the subscribers' exclusive Bonus Disc that comes with the second volume every year, and that's to say thank you for joining us on this journey that doesn't have a specific destination. Speaking of the Bonus Disc, wait until you see what we have planned for the extra CD that will come to you along with Volume 50. Were I a younger fellow, I'd insert the "mind-blown" emoji here. Suffice it to say, we think it will blow your mind. After a year of tremendous variety with 2023's four offerings from 1977 (two complete shows!), 1972 (Keith and Donna!), 1979 (Brent!), and 1971 (Keith, with Pigpen on hiatus!), we are already planning a wild ride in 2024, starting with a 4-CD mega set featuring TWO complete shows from April 27 and 28, 1985, at the Frost. And Vol. 50? An upper-tier Dead show that's been on our release list for many years. The time is perfect for this show (shows...?) to be the one celebrating big number 50. So, thanks for coming along for another year. We really appreciate it and won't let you down.

David Lemieux
September 2023

Another year of complete previously unreleased live Grateful Dead shows? Yes, please! By now we’re certain you know that a subscription is your best bet for getting each of the four numbered, limited-edition releases (now totaling a minimum of 13 CDs), delivered to your door quarterly. You’ll also get the subscription exclusive bonus disc, which remains one of the most highly sought-after collectables we release, and free U.S. shipping. Subscriber bonus discs are not released outside of this offer. As always, early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $119.92).

Dave's Picks 2024 will be capped at 25,000 copies of each release. Your best bet is to subscribe, sit back, and relax all year long!

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

7-13-85 playing now.
A Miller version.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

I was at that show. There were fires in the hills around Ventura that year and the Dead played Fire on the Mountain for the 2nd song that year. I didn't get any sleep that weekend.. Fun times!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 3 months

Scrolling through the comments, I came across a lot of love for Hershey 6.28.85, and thought I'd throw my two cents in.
That was a memorable week of shows. We drove down from SPAC in the rain, and it was a long haul to Hershey, which might be why the show seemed sparsely attended. The band was set up on a stage in a football/sports field, IIRC.
Before the show, some random music was playing over the system, when Mickey came out on stage wearing a poncho that, on the back, said, "I was raised on the Rocks." Not sure what that meant - Red Rocks? But he signaled to Healy who faded the music and played Dark Side of the Moon, in its entirety through the sound system. So that was our opening band that night.
As the Dead started filing out, with Jerry wearing what looked like some kind of dark purple velour blazer, I was standing close enough to the stage that I could see between the speaker stacks. Phil was walking past Steve Parrish as Phil asked if he could light the joint Steve was holding. Phil proceeded to inhale most of the joint in one or two giant sucks, handing back a stub to a stunned looking Parrish, then Phil came out on stage and exhaled a large cloud, rubbed his hands together with a maniacal grin and strapped his Modulus bass on.
Everyone appreciated the CR&S opener to acknowledge our wet predicament, and I was really stoked by the Jerry three-fer to end the first set. Poor Jerry's voice sounded so ragged that year, but the '85 setlists were so diverse and unpredictable. I used to fantasize about how amazing this era would have been if Jerry's voice was in sweet mid-70s form.
Bobby's pre-second-set announcement was an example of Healy messing with Bobby's vocals in a way that was fun without actually ruining a song.
Great show, great week, fun year, especially Spring and Summer tours.
Used to tape all those shows, and we listened to the Hell out of 3.25, 3.28, 6.28 and 6.30.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Hershey great

doesn't like phuk,,, eat me,

dylan new album great

have a good bird day

this is what it had to do,,,, they've inserted a large hard object up an orifice that should be exit only

will this make it?

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Marye has said on the POTDWD thread she is passing on the info on hey now. Hope it will help. We are losing folks daily.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

To hell with it

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

So, having built a community and given it a forum, are TPTB saying that revenue is sufficient and they don't need no stinkin' community anymore?

Testing...

user picture

Member for

7 months

The Sweetest Place on Earth! especially on 1985-06-28!!

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

12 18 73 with the bonus disc being the rest of 12 19 from DiP 1? That would tie the room together pretty nicely. After listening back to DiP 14, I'd LOVE some more December 1973.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 months

Anyone see where I could download the .pdf for this 2024 gift certificate to print? I purchased the subscription, but I can’t see where to find the certificate file like on the product page. Emails have gone unanswered.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

In reply to by CaleK

CALEK, go to the Dave’s Picks Subscription page and click on the Listening Parties & Seaside Chats tab. Underneath Dave’s video is the certificate you can download.

You would think that if 50 is really that incredible they would want to get the news out and sell subscriptions. Hey Now, what do I know???

user picture

Member for

2 years 9 months

In reply to by Tramjams

I am really looking forward to "the big reveal". But why not yet? No idea.

Maybe there's something wrong with ordering. It worked for me, but others reported problems earlier. Imagine opening the floodgates with an announcement, the website breaks, and their tech staff isn't in a position to respond?

But yes, it's quite odd. In the end, as long as my cds arrive playable and undamaged, all will be forgiven. But I'm just gonna focus on the positive, blasting Buffalo 77 while making cookies. That's a much better bet, as instant gratification goes. Then again, I really wanna know....and would even appreciate a "leak" soon if they can't go official for whatever reason. Those cookies will not last forever.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

DaP 46 was announced on 12-14-22.
DaP 50 shows will be announced soon.
Yes, the tease says show(s).

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Tramjams

That's what I'm waiting for. It will probably be a show(s) that I want, but I ain't subscribing until I know what it is.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 3 months

DP 50 supposed to be "special" my guess, 9/20/70 with the bonus disc 9/19/70, and also the remaining songs from 10/24/70 we were promised to get.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

DaP 50 = 50th anniversary of 1974.

But what 2 shows from 74 should have already been released?

In reality I expect some big time grease.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

With bonus from 12/19. DaP 50 to complete DiP 1 has some nice symmetry, plus 12/18 should have been out years ago.

Just listened to it this past weekend.
I would prefer that it not be a DaP because it needs to be Plangentized along with a reissue of complete 12-19-73.
Both part of a Nov/Dec 73 Box.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

In Dave's Series with #43, Bear's banana box tapes 11/2 & 12/26/69. So, no problem for 12/18 and the rest of 12/19. Would just need to excise Promised Land, El Paso, and Bobby McGee from bonus, or slip onto regular release as filler. Though I'll personally pass on Promised Land, I can call that close enough to complete, like 12/14/71 from DaP 26 and bonus. I'd rather they put out 2 of The Ark shows from April 1969, but if it's something long overdue that makes sense, those make the most sense to me. If not the remainder of Fillmore East February 1970 with the main release being an until now undiscovered complete 2/11/70 with Duane Allman, Peter Green, Danny Kirwan, Albert Lee, Gregg Allman, and Berry Oakley joining, with the bonus being the leftovers of 2/13-14. Also, if it's 12/18/73, we all get another groovy Dark Star.

Edited to add: would love a Nov/Dec 1973 box. Doc's first show 12/1/73 could be in there and 12/8/73, even if it is from Cameron Indoor Stadium. Not much left from November, an AZ show and TX show after Denver Road Trips, Atlanta on 12/12, and of course 12/18 and remainders from 12/4, 12/6, 12/19.

Can we get the soundcheck too?
My cassette copy of that back in the day was really hissy. But I still listened to it repeatedly.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 5 months

Well if you are going to make a nov dec 73 box, you should throw it 10/25/73 and 10/27/73.
Great shows, although there are probably issues with the master.

I would hope for those Ark shows from 1969 - there hasn't been a Dave's Picks from the first half of 1969 yet, and to my ears, the peak of 69 is to be found there, before they started moving on to the more country based material. Another great choice for me would be those September 1970 shows.
I'd be less excited about 1973. Not because I don't like shows from that year - they were clearly at yet another peak then - just because we have just had a 73 box. And I have overdosed on what I already have from that year over the last 12 months.

user picture

Member for

7 months

2024 bonus disc; ah, well, I'm not placing my bets on red of the wheel lol, but I would go double-down on 35 and black which leads to me to three score and 10, gotta go with it, all other bonus years have been seen 2-3 releases, Right On! let's GO BLIND 70!

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Love that comment! Whether it be a few '68 shows or early '69, I would echo this holiday sentiment:

Let there be grease in 2024!

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

I'll just add that my house still rocks to '73. That was my first big year with the band and I love that loud, spacey, big sound system sound and the ease of delivery. Five of my six GD shows that year came before my 16th birthday. 50 years later, I "get" the music so much better.

On the other hand, I've got so many GD shows on CD that listening to them all will be impossible. Yet, as Hunter Thompson wrote in Fear & Loathing, once you get a serious drug collection going you tend not to stop. I paraphrase. But that's the GD thing now: the most (and best) recorded band in history. What? I'm going to stop having them sent to my house every three months?? I did pass on the '90 boxes, I just didn't think I'd listen to them much. But as someone said, anything 1966-1976 is a must-listen. (Though I've noted some ferocious '89 shows that blew me away...)

Okay, here's hoping that #50 will please the mythical "everyone."

BTW, Happy Holidays to all the crispy folks here!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

Oh, I'm not knocking it - just that after the 73 summer box, another 73 special would be less immediately exciting than 69-70 shows. I think I've listened to every 73 show I've got this year - the box more than once. Luverly stuff to be sure.

I'm hoping for more gobbledygook in the New Year. Introduced by Dave talking backwards on the beach.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey rockers!!!

I'm hoping that the banana boxes hold complete recordings of the February and April Fillmore West runs of 1970. Some incredible stuff there. That would be my wish for next year's box set...............

Music is the medicine of the mind......

Happy, healthy, and safe holidays to all!!!

Rock on!

Doc
Music has an intrinsic meaning, which has always been mysterious to me......

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

And there it is!

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by ronmarley1

Not on my bingo card!

user picture

Member for

2 years 9 months

the Palladium 5-3-1977 and bonus disk the second set from 5-4-77 filler will be from 5-4-77 as well. NYC always brought out the best the dead had to offer! Energy begets Energy! Thanks Dave!

user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

Palladium 77 run gets its due. Thrilling and high energy stuff. 5/3/77 has one of my favorite Sugarees. 5/1 however is my favorite show of the run but Dave didn’t ask. And I don’t think there’s a soundboard for it anyways. Looking forward to a ‘68 release.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by deadbass36

They do like Spring 1977 over at deadnet !

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years

Love Dave's Picks, but come on, more 1977? Enough already, same goes for 1980s and 1990s - where is all the Pigpen stuff? The taster of Kiel Opera House, St. Louis, MO, 10/24/70 was much appreciated, but the more Pigpen the better - it was his band after all. Bound to start some controversy I know, but the heart wants what the heart wants (or something like that).

I suspected that Dave would go ‘77, even though many people hoped for some Pigpen grease.

I like ‘77, but 6-29-76 is past due for release.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

1 year 7 months

Very underwhleming. Get over it already Dave, enough of May 77. And not too excited to get MOST of another show (5-4-77) to have you leave out some of the first set, for yet another "almost complete" show. The 50th bonus at least could have been the whole show. Stop releasing almost complete shows or piecemeal shows that almost no one will put back together on their computers. Seems like more people need to be added to the decision group.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Could have knocked me over with a feather.
I'm completely fine with that choice.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

This was a great run of shows.
Definitely not anything out of ordinary here for #50.

Are you in Daverock?

Let's hope we get a surprise for the 2024 box set

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

Well, it's not what I was hoping for, but as a collector, I'm not disappointed, either. I've literally not heard a single note from 5/3, and it's always a lovely treat to hear something completely fresh. I have heard the Hunter's Trix from the next night, and it's good stuff. The only letdown for me is that Dave isn't standing tall athwart the ramparts, crying out that the banana boxes were found to contain a bunch of missing '70 reels... but that was always just a fever dream...

What's left to release from May '77 now? Just 5/18? Oh and 5/1...?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Obeah

For celebrating the 50th? Lame!
No imagination…
I’m glad for those that are stoked, but I don’t listen to much of the oversaturated 77 I already have.
So it’ll be one and done for me, then, another dust collector, Booooooooo!
Have Dave, why not just release everything else left from 77 in one box (that won’t sell) so we can be done with it lol

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

Another '77 show? Given that I've got plenty (dozens) of '77 shows already, and given that #49 is an '85 show I'm not much interested in, I'm a-go a la carte this year.

Dammit! Just got Hey Now'd. Thought them days was over.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

5-1 was my first show, and 5-5(New Haven, 3rd row center) was my 2nd.
What can one say about one of the most magnificent weeks in one's life?
Talk about life-changing! Like that guy in the movie said:
"There is NOTHING like a Grateful Dead concert!"

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/2024-daves-picks-subscription-early-bird/081227817411.html