Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    DAVE’S PICKS 2024 SUBSCRIPTION BENEFITS

• Four Limited Edition, Numbered Releases
    • Highly Collectible Bonus Disc
    • Free Domestic Shipping
    • Delivered Throughout The Year
    • Early Bird Pricing - $99.98
    • A minimum savings of $39.00 over purchasing a la carte.

EARLY BIRD PRICING ENDS WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 15 AT 9:00 PM PT.

------

Here we are, entering our lucky number 13th year of the Dave's Picks series, and once again, I mean it when I say it feels like we're just getting started. Back in mid-2011 when Mark Pinkus and Doran Tyson approached me with the idea of a new archival series to be called Dave's Picks, I was thrilled, humbled, and above all honoured for this ultimate sign of trust, faith, and respect. Never did I think the series would be going for a baker's dozen of years, with many more on the horizon. Our aim remains exactly the same as it was in 2012 when the Dave's Picks series started: bring you A+ complete Grateful Dead shows, sounding better than ever, beautifully packaged, four times per year. A series that began with 12,000 units of each volume is now at 25,000 and sometimes that might not even be enough, and this is a testament to Rhino never veering off the path of its vision to treat Dead Heads with respect and caring. Everything we release, just as everything we do as it relates to the Grateful Dead's legacy, begins with the question, "is this cool? Is this something I'd like?"

To our subscribers, we really couldn't do this without you. You give us the faith that we're on the right track, trusting us to fill your mailbox with the goods four times per year. We put a tremendous amount of work into the subscribers' exclusive Bonus Disc that comes with the second volume every year, and that's to say thank you for joining us on this journey that doesn't have a specific destination. Speaking of the Bonus Disc, wait until you see what we have planned for the extra CD that will come to you along with Volume 50. Were I a younger fellow, I'd insert the "mind-blown" emoji here. Suffice it to say, we think it will blow your mind. After a year of tremendous variety with 2023's four offerings from 1977 (two complete shows!), 1972 (Keith and Donna!), 1979 (Brent!), and 1971 (Keith, with Pigpen on hiatus!), we are already planning a wild ride in 2024, starting with a 4-CD mega set featuring TWO complete shows from April 27 and 28, 1985, at the Frost. And Vol. 50? An upper-tier Dead show that's been on our release list for many years. The time is perfect for this show (shows...?) to be the one celebrating big number 50. So, thanks for coming along for another year. We really appreciate it and won't let you down.

David Lemieux
    September 2023

Another year of complete previously unreleased live Grateful Dead shows? Yes, please! By now we’re certain you know that a subscription is your best bet for getting each of the four numbered, limited-edition releases (now totaling a minimum of 13 CDs), delivered to your door quarterly. You’ll also get the subscription exclusive bonus disc, which remains one of the most highly sought-after collectables we release, and free U.S. shipping. Subscriber bonus discs are not released outside of this offer. As always, early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $119.92).

Dave's Picks 2024 will be capped at 25,000 copies of each release. Your best bet is to subscribe, sit back, and relax all year long!

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • uncle_tripel

...graphics for Dave's Vol. #50
    GREAT job!

uncle_tripel

• uncle_tripel

... my own questions lol; recent on-line research gave me some insight, and info regarding the lack of representation of particular years in the daP series.

Here are some words from Light Into Ashes (feb. 2011) quoting Mr. Lemieux "If we had Betty Boards, if we had reel-to-reel properly [mixed] tapes of every show in the ‘80s, believe me, we would be seeing a lot more ‘80s releases.” AND “There have been a lot of requests for 1984-88 DPs. Many don’t realize that those years have atrocious sound quality.”

Also quoting Mr. Norman, “If they’re PA tapes, right off the soundboard, they may not be a good, representative mix for a CD. What could happen is that Phil or Bobby might be very loud onstage; then whoever was mixing for the house wouldn’t [put] much of that bandmember in the mix; it wouldn’t be necessary… Unfortunately, the tape made from that board mix would be lacking. But yeah, there’s lots of stuff missing from the ‘80s.”

This last comment may explain some of that so-called echo / reverb we can faintly hear in 1985 tapes.

LOVE ALL the HARD WORK this TEAM PERFORMS!
    YOU ALL are truly the SMILE MAKERS!

peace all!
    uncle_tripel

• uncle_tripel

...to THINKIN' yesterday about how EXCITING the sonic travels of the 36 DiP's & 50 DaP's releases have been SO FAR. In August this year, DaP begins #51 onwards to #100... anyway the years that have been largely FOCUSED
    upon include:
    '74 & '77 (7 each year)
    '73 (5 for this year)
    '71 & '72 & '78 (4 for each year)
    '69 & '76 (3 each year)

QUESTION: will there be DaP 2-track recordings released featuring the years of '68, '75, '82, '86, '88, '89, '91 thru '95 ?
    could it be some of these years ONLY have MULTI-track recordings and don't qualify for a DaP release?

anyone care to comment with insight or opinion?

So you know I've been a soldier in the armies of the night, & I'll find the fatal error in what's otherwise ALL RIGHT.
    Something shines around you that seems, to my DELIGHT...
    ...just a little light.

• Obeah

Oh wow, I just came across Elliott Peck's statement. Wishing her and her family much patience and peace.

As someone who had major abdominal surgery five summers ago, I was blessed to have two capable surgeons and an amazing crew of nurses who took care of me while I was on the post-surgical ward for nearly a week afterwards. And with a no-bend, no-lift restriction, I was basically helpless for another month after that. So although it was very humbling, I was always aware of how very fortunate I was. I recovered in full, and all of my awful stomach/digestive woes have been a thing of the past ever since. So Elliott, I doubt you'll see this, but if you do please allow me to wish you a successful procedure(s) and a speedy and complete recovery.

• uncle_tripel

...(201)-777-8653 was the grateful dead hotline and how us East Coast HEADS "stay(ed) in touch", phone re-dial was REQUIRED lol; today we have dead.net. what WILL we DO in 2039...?

peace all!
    uncle_tripel

• 1stshow70878

I do that all the time with those two names. I call it Anheuser's disease instead of Alzheimer's since I was born in STL. Thanks Gerd. Will correct. Howdy back at ya!
    Cheers

• gratefulgerd

1stshow,
    are you sure it's Marty Robbins who owns/owned the CW B-Bender?
    Or is it Marty Stewart who bought it from CW's family?

I'm a huge GP and Byrds fan too.

Greetings to CO!
    G.

• TN John

Just announced she has a tumor in her abdomen that will require a complex surgery.
    Positive vibes for her!
    Peace

• 1stshow70878

Tragedy seems to follow the famous. Clarence and his brother killed by a drunk driver while loading up their gear after a gig I think it said. I gotta get some Clarence White. Marty Robbins (OOPS, Stewart) owns the "B- bender" strat and Tony Rice had his modified Martin D-28 acoustic.
    Cheers

• Colin Gould

Great player. He was the person being referenced by Gram Parsons in the second verse of the track ‘In My Hour of Darkness’ on ‘Grievous Angel’.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

DAVE’S PICKS 2024 SUBSCRIPTION BENEFITS

• Four Limited Edition, Numbered Releases
• Highly Collectible Bonus Disc
• Free Domestic Shipping
• Delivered Throughout The Year
• Early Bird Pricing - $99.98
• A minimum savings of $39.00 over purchasing a la carte.

EARLY BIRD PRICING ENDS WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 15 AT 9:00 PM PT.

------

Here we are, entering our lucky number 13th year of the Dave's Picks series, and once again, I mean it when I say it feels like we're just getting started. Back in mid-2011 when Mark Pinkus and Doran Tyson approached me with the idea of a new archival series to be called Dave's Picks, I was thrilled, humbled, and above all honoured for this ultimate sign of trust, faith, and respect. Never did I think the series would be going for a baker's dozen of years, with many more on the horizon. Our aim remains exactly the same as it was in 2012 when the Dave's Picks series started: bring you A+ complete Grateful Dead shows, sounding better than ever, beautifully packaged, four times per year. A series that began with 12,000 units of each volume is now at 25,000 and sometimes that might not even be enough, and this is a testament to Rhino never veering off the path of its vision to treat Dead Heads with respect and caring. Everything we release, just as everything we do as it relates to the Grateful Dead's legacy, begins with the question, "is this cool? Is this something I'd like?"

To our subscribers, we really couldn't do this without you. You give us the faith that we're on the right track, trusting us to fill your mailbox with the goods four times per year. We put a tremendous amount of work into the subscribers' exclusive Bonus Disc that comes with the second volume every year, and that's to say thank you for joining us on this journey that doesn't have a specific destination. Speaking of the Bonus Disc, wait until you see what we have planned for the extra CD that will come to you along with Volume 50. Were I a younger fellow, I'd insert the "mind-blown" emoji here. Suffice it to say, we think it will blow your mind. After a year of tremendous variety with 2023's four offerings from 1977 (two complete shows!), 1972 (Keith and Donna!), 1979 (Brent!), and 1971 (Keith, with Pigpen on hiatus!), we are already planning a wild ride in 2024, starting with a 4-CD mega set featuring TWO complete shows from April 27 and 28, 1985, at the Frost. And Vol. 50? An upper-tier Dead show that's been on our release list for many years. The time is perfect for this show (shows...?) to be the one celebrating big number 50. So, thanks for coming along for another year. We really appreciate it and won't let you down.

David Lemieux
September 2023

Another year of complete previously unreleased live Grateful Dead shows? Yes, please! By now we’re certain you know that a subscription is your best bet for getting each of the four numbered, limited-edition releases (now totaling a minimum of 13 CDs), delivered to your door quarterly. You’ll also get the subscription exclusive bonus disc, which remains one of the most highly sought-after collectables we release, and free U.S. shipping. Subscriber bonus discs are not released outside of this offer. As always, early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $119.92).

Dave's Picks 2024 will be capped at 25,000 copies of each release. Your best bet is to subscribe, sit back, and relax all year long!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Cue rim shot!

PF will be performing here all weeks folks, be sure and tip the bartenders.

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

Missed the early bird due to being in the hospital.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

I 2nd that yes.

user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

In reply to by daverock

isn't it time to begin a new serie aka "road trips" with highlights? is it really important to get 100 looks like rain and 200 beat iodt line? i won't subscribe too.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by sheik yerbones

I would subscribe

Gimme dem gems

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Legendary

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

But yes, legendary.
That whole second set was a mindblower.
California deadhead standing next to me said he'd never seen anything like it.
They were swaggeringly good then.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by sheik yerbones

Yes, I'd be up for a series that released polished gems rather than whole shows. Road Trips was a great series. Also, in it's brief timespan, it covered more ground that the 50 Daves have so far - going from Feb 1968 up to 1993.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

Unless only fragments are available.
Just because one person doesn’t like a particular song doesn’t mean that everyone else doesn’t like that song.
If you don’t like the song skip over it.
In the days of cassettes people made mix tapes of the songs they wanted to hear. Now people make playlists. It’s easier to make a playlist than a mix tape.

I prefer complete shows if they are in the Vault.

Road Trips failed because they were chop jobs.
That’s why the series switched to complete shows.

it took time to get Nassau 73 and Miami 74, wich are among my favorite shows, like many others, like Fresno 74, LA73, Albuquerque 71, Hartford 74, Orpheum 76, Normal 78, Philadelphia 83, 84, etc. since the "we want complete show" at the begining of the roads trip serie, we lost confidence in an objective mind to gather the best of the band., what Dick did, and Dave and Blair tried to do. Why not try something new? listen to 30 days of dead 2023...good choices!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

On the whole I think I prefer...both of them. It's not an either or situation. If they only have fragments, and those fragments are diamonds, then I say lets be having them.
The Road Trips that are fragmented-thinking of 6/16/74 and 6/18/74 are chock full of great music, without a second to miss. Same with 6/26/74 and 6/28/74 in the Dicks series.

Remember, we are privileged to be paying for the archiving of this great body of music and are supplied with copies of it - nothing more and nothing less!
Happy New Year and please stop the conjecturing - it will all get done...eventually!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

The 10th and 20th would make a great twofer deluxe Dave’s!

Number one, make it so!

You are missing the point
Instead of wasting time wondering about what's next, when it's all going to come out anyway because we are paying for it, why not go for a walk and talk to a stranger in the street, call someone and tell them you miss them or volunteer some time to a charity
Happy New Year!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

We tip each other off to good shows.
We enjoy each other's suggestions.
We have kind hearts or we wouldn't be here.
Inquiring minds want to know.
Cheers to all
And have a safe amateur night, so named for when those that are not experienced do too much imbibing.

It looks as though you are reading what people are posting about future releases, Ian, which isn't much different from proposing something yourself. Anyway, I went for a walk yesterday. Day before yesterday, actually. And I talked to a stranger. At least I think he was.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I find this difficult because I’m fairly strange myself :)

the $5 balance on a $10 Starbucks gift card I had a few days ago

True story

He thanked me and said

Yo cuz how about 11 19 72

Or 7 18 76

True or not

U decide

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

I prefer full shows, but will take anything.
Dick's Picks, Vol. 2 certainly gets plenty of airtime in this house.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

test

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by nitecat

It was 37 F and raining today, I didn’t go for a walk
Instead I listened to music and contemplated future releases.
And while I wait for those releases I continue to run my torrent machine, which delivered to me this weekend:
6-27-69 166576.sbd.anon.gems
6-28-69 166577.sbd.anon.gems
9-3-72 166363.sbd.bear.gems

Looking forward to giving those a play.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

As the pranksters say: nothing lasts!
Perhaps that’s the real point Bro!
As much as we have a bountiful of riches from the vault already, if you do the math, at current release schedules, times X, with X equaling, what, 10, maybe 20 more years? That’s no where near “all” of em.
Dave’s in his fifties, and as much as I know he loves his job, don’t see him doing it forever. Also, you’d think demand will eventually cool. So even if they do 20 more years, times 4 or 5 Dave’s, and a five show box once a year, that’s only 200 more, no where near what’s left!
So yeah, some of us enjoy goofing around speculating what’s next. Don’t understand why that’s a problem?
Going for a walk is awesome, and sometimes just saying hi to a stranger can be a great thing in itself, but for this broken old goof, staying home and hanging with my homies and playing with my toys is da shit!

user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

good time to have a walk with all the good food around the end of the year. I had a walk too, and a good ride with the bike for Christmas.
I didn't mean I am against full show, maybe I was mistanderstood. What I meant, we can have full show, and we can have highlights...why not a serie with best moments of spring 84, or fall 81? everything is open,I just trust the MC of Dead archives..
last five very bluesy,
GD Nassau73
Willy Dixon I am the blues
Ellmore James blues after hours
Clapton R Johnson sessions(with dvd- highly recommanded)
John hammond rough & toughc

With respect to Dave, I wouldn't think ongoing releases are dependent on his willingness to be involved. He, like Dick, like all of us, is just passing through. He doesn't own the music, which will surely live on after his involvement ceases. I guess the future lies with how willing people are to purchase it. Maybe a change in format would help. As Sheik has pointed out, maybe there is room for different kinds of releases, which might add and prolong interest.

JB's band rocked out when I saw them open for Gov't Mule in Atlanta on August 12th. That show almost killed me. Contracted Legionnaires Disease from the hotel in Atlanta. 2 weeks after returning from the show I was in ICU on a vent and a paralytic. Came out the other side with partial paralysis down my right side. It was a great show though.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by TN John

Yikes! Legionnaire's Disease?

Are you over the paralysis?

Luckily for me I just came home and had late night snackin'

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by TN John

= Tough Nut
Yaddy, yaddy, yadda, almost dies, yaddy yadda, ICU, damn near killed me etc
But hey it was a great concert!
Dooood! Yer a warrior!

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Still numbness and tingling down the right side and mild dysphagia of the right side of my throat. Have an appointment next week with bone and joint to find why my right shoulder is contorted.

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Haha! You have to keep a sense of humor about these things. It can always be worse. I left the hospital unable to walk, and now am able to walk 2.3 miles a day, and ride my recumbent bike 6 miles every morning.

Besides, it was an awesome show. Gov't Mule tore that amphitheater apart!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/2024-daves-picks-subscription-early-bird/081227817411.html