Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    DAVE’S PICKS 2024 SUBSCRIPTION BENEFITS

• Four Limited Edition, Numbered Releases
    • Highly Collectible Bonus Disc
    • Free Domestic Shipping
    • Delivered Throughout The Year
    • Early Bird Pricing - $99.98
    • A minimum savings of $39.00 over purchasing a la carte.

EARLY BIRD PRICING ENDS WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 15 AT 9:00 PM PT.

------

Here we are, entering our lucky number 13th year of the Dave's Picks series, and once again, I mean it when I say it feels like we're just getting started. Back in mid-2011 when Mark Pinkus and Doran Tyson approached me with the idea of a new archival series to be called Dave's Picks, I was thrilled, humbled, and above all honoured for this ultimate sign of trust, faith, and respect. Never did I think the series would be going for a baker's dozen of years, with many more on the horizon. Our aim remains exactly the same as it was in 2012 when the Dave's Picks series started: bring you A+ complete Grateful Dead shows, sounding better than ever, beautifully packaged, four times per year. A series that began with 12,000 units of each volume is now at 25,000 and sometimes that might not even be enough, and this is a testament to Rhino never veering off the path of its vision to treat Dead Heads with respect and caring. Everything we release, just as everything we do as it relates to the Grateful Dead's legacy, begins with the question, "is this cool? Is this something I'd like?"

To our subscribers, we really couldn't do this without you. You give us the faith that we're on the right track, trusting us to fill your mailbox with the goods four times per year. We put a tremendous amount of work into the subscribers' exclusive Bonus Disc that comes with the second volume every year, and that's to say thank you for joining us on this journey that doesn't have a specific destination. Speaking of the Bonus Disc, wait until you see what we have planned for the extra CD that will come to you along with Volume 50. Were I a younger fellow, I'd insert the "mind-blown" emoji here. Suffice it to say, we think it will blow your mind. After a year of tremendous variety with 2023's four offerings from 1977 (two complete shows!), 1972 (Keith and Donna!), 1979 (Brent!), and 1971 (Keith, with Pigpen on hiatus!), we are already planning a wild ride in 2024, starting with a 4-CD mega set featuring TWO complete shows from April 27 and 28, 1985, at the Frost. And Vol. 50? An upper-tier Dead show that's been on our release list for many years. The time is perfect for this show (shows...?) to be the one celebrating big number 50. So, thanks for coming along for another year. We really appreciate it and won't let you down.

David Lemieux
    September 2023

Another year of complete previously unreleased live Grateful Dead shows? Yes, please! By now we’re certain you know that a subscription is your best bet for getting each of the four numbered, limited-edition releases (now totaling a minimum of 13 CDs), delivered to your door quarterly. You’ll also get the subscription exclusive bonus disc, which remains one of the most highly sought-after collectables we release, and free U.S. shipping. Subscriber bonus discs are not released outside of this offer. As always, early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $119.92).

Dave's Picks 2024 will be capped at 25,000 copies of each release. Your best bet is to subscribe, sit back, and relax all year long!

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • uncle_tripel

...graphics for Dave's Vol. #50
    GREAT job!

uncle_tripel

• uncle_tripel

... my own questions lol; recent on-line research gave me some insight, and info regarding the lack of representation of particular years in the daP series.

Here are some words from Light Into Ashes (feb. 2011) quoting Mr. Lemieux "If we had Betty Boards, if we had reel-to-reel properly [mixed] tapes of every show in the ‘80s, believe me, we would be seeing a lot more ‘80s releases.” AND “There have been a lot of requests for 1984-88 DPs. Many don’t realize that those years have atrocious sound quality.”

Also quoting Mr. Norman, “If they’re PA tapes, right off the soundboard, they may not be a good, representative mix for a CD. What could happen is that Phil or Bobby might be very loud onstage; then whoever was mixing for the house wouldn’t [put] much of that bandmember in the mix; it wouldn’t be necessary… Unfortunately, the tape made from that board mix would be lacking. But yeah, there’s lots of stuff missing from the ‘80s.”

This last comment may explain some of that so-called echo / reverb we can faintly hear in 1985 tapes.

LOVE ALL the HARD WORK this TEAM PERFORMS!
    YOU ALL are truly the SMILE MAKERS!

peace all!
    uncle_tripel

• uncle_tripel

...to THINKIN' yesterday about how EXCITING the sonic travels of the 36 DiP's & 50 DaP's releases have been SO FAR. In August this year, DaP begins #51 onwards to #100... anyway the years that have been largely FOCUSED
    upon include:
    '74 & '77 (7 each year)
    '73 (5 for this year)
    '71 & '72 & '78 (4 for each year)
    '69 & '76 (3 each year)

QUESTION: will there be DaP 2-track recordings released featuring the years of '68, '75, '82, '86, '88, '89, '91 thru '95 ?
    could it be some of these years ONLY have MULTI-track recordings and don't qualify for a DaP release?

anyone care to comment with insight or opinion?

So you know I've been a soldier in the armies of the night, & I'll find the fatal error in what's otherwise ALL RIGHT.
    Something shines around you that seems, to my DELIGHT...
    ...just a little light.

• Obeah

Oh wow, I just came across Elliott Peck's statement. Wishing her and her family much patience and peace.

As someone who had major abdominal surgery five summers ago, I was blessed to have two capable surgeons and an amazing crew of nurses who took care of me while I was on the post-surgical ward for nearly a week afterwards. And with a no-bend, no-lift restriction, I was basically helpless for another month after that. So although it was very humbling, I was always aware of how very fortunate I was. I recovered in full, and all of my awful stomach/digestive woes have been a thing of the past ever since. So Elliott, I doubt you'll see this, but if you do please allow me to wish you a successful procedure(s) and a speedy and complete recovery.

• uncle_tripel

...(201)-777-8653 was the grateful dead hotline and how us East Coast HEADS "stay(ed) in touch", phone re-dial was REQUIRED lol; today we have dead.net. what WILL we DO in 2039...?

peace all!
    uncle_tripel

• 1stshow70878

I do that all the time with those two names. I call it Anheuser's disease instead of Alzheimer's since I was born in STL. Thanks Gerd. Will correct. Howdy back at ya!
    Cheers

• gratefulgerd

1stshow,
    are you sure it's Marty Robbins who owns/owned the CW B-Bender?
    Or is it Marty Stewart who bought it from CW's family?

I'm a huge GP and Byrds fan too.

Greetings to CO!
    G.

• TN John

Just announced she has a tumor in her abdomen that will require a complex surgery.
    Positive vibes for her!
    Peace

• 1stshow70878

Tragedy seems to follow the famous. Clarence and his brother killed by a drunk driver while loading up their gear after a gig I think it said. I gotta get some Clarence White. Marty Robbins (OOPS, Stewart) owns the "B- bender" strat and Tony Rice had his modified Martin D-28 acoustic.
    Cheers

• Colin Gould

Great player. He was the person being referenced by Gram Parsons in the second verse of the track ‘In My Hour of Darkness’ on ‘Grievous Angel’.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

DAVE’S PICKS 2024 SUBSCRIPTION BENEFITS

• Four Limited Edition, Numbered Releases
• Highly Collectible Bonus Disc
• Free Domestic Shipping
• Delivered Throughout The Year
• Early Bird Pricing - $99.98
• A minimum savings of $39.00 over purchasing a la carte.

EARLY BIRD PRICING ENDS WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 15 AT 9:00 PM PT.

------

Here we are, entering our lucky number 13th year of the Dave's Picks series, and once again, I mean it when I say it feels like we're just getting started. Back in mid-2011 when Mark Pinkus and Doran Tyson approached me with the idea of a new archival series to be called Dave's Picks, I was thrilled, humbled, and above all honoured for this ultimate sign of trust, faith, and respect. Never did I think the series would be going for a baker's dozen of years, with many more on the horizon. Our aim remains exactly the same as it was in 2012 when the Dave's Picks series started: bring you A+ complete Grateful Dead shows, sounding better than ever, beautifully packaged, four times per year. A series that began with 12,000 units of each volume is now at 25,000 and sometimes that might not even be enough, and this is a testament to Rhino never veering off the path of its vision to treat Dead Heads with respect and caring. Everything we release, just as everything we do as it relates to the Grateful Dead's legacy, begins with the question, "is this cool? Is this something I'd like?"

To our subscribers, we really couldn't do this without you. You give us the faith that we're on the right track, trusting us to fill your mailbox with the goods four times per year. We put a tremendous amount of work into the subscribers' exclusive Bonus Disc that comes with the second volume every year, and that's to say thank you for joining us on this journey that doesn't have a specific destination. Speaking of the Bonus Disc, wait until you see what we have planned for the extra CD that will come to you along with Volume 50. Were I a younger fellow, I'd insert the "mind-blown" emoji here. Suffice it to say, we think it will blow your mind. After a year of tremendous variety with 2023's four offerings from 1977 (two complete shows!), 1972 (Keith and Donna!), 1979 (Brent!), and 1971 (Keith, with Pigpen on hiatus!), we are already planning a wild ride in 2024, starting with a 4-CD mega set featuring TWO complete shows from April 27 and 28, 1985, at the Frost. And Vol. 50? An upper-tier Dead show that's been on our release list for many years. The time is perfect for this show (shows...?) to be the one celebrating big number 50. So, thanks for coming along for another year. We really appreciate it and won't let you down.

David Lemieux
September 2023

Another year of complete previously unreleased live Grateful Dead shows? Yes, please! By now we’re certain you know that a subscription is your best bet for getting each of the four numbered, limited-edition releases (now totaling a minimum of 13 CDs), delivered to your door quarterly. You’ll also get the subscription exclusive bonus disc, which remains one of the most highly sought-after collectables we release, and free U.S. shipping. Subscriber bonus discs are not released outside of this offer. As always, early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $119.92).

Dave's Picks 2024 will be capped at 25,000 copies of each release. Your best bet is to subscribe, sit back, and relax all year long!

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Nice to have. Have the whole rest of the month just about.

A bit suckered by the sales pitch.

All's fair in capitalism. Peace!

user picture

Member for

10 months

Spring, or really all of ‘77, works every time for me so I’m stoked with some more. Though I do enjoy fragments and composites, I prefer complete shows without filler fragments mixed in. I like to listen to the commercial HDCDs and don’t want to rip/burn to get it my way, but this Virgo just might. I guess there are run time and/or packaging issues that prevent a 5th (or 6th) disc that would’ve allowed 5/3 and 5/4 to be issued complete and in order on HDCDs. Just a minor quibble. Looking forward to April.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

A safe choice from '77. The reviewer from the Deadheads Taping Compendium kind of rips on this show from 5/3, but raves about the next night, which is the bonus show. I'm sure both will be decent enough, but would have loved to have seen either a Pigpen era set or something less predicatable from 1990 or 1991. Even 1989. Great spring tour in 89.

#49 from 85, and two shows at that, is something I'm looking forward to.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Hey now'd again! The short answer, Deadvikes, is that I won't be subscribing. I'm quite happy about it though.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Yo ho ho rockers!!!

So, another overrated 1977 show is considered worthy of the 50th? Clearly, TPTB have once again fallen and hit their heads. Calls for Live Dead Concussion Protocol. And not a keeper..........

I refuse to drink the 1977 Kool-Aid.................

Sometimes when I read about my rebellion in print it sounds a little overrated.......

Rock on,

Doc
Simplicity and honesty make a person most graceful, but in today's world, they are overrated.......

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

1 year 6 months

This seems like a "safe" pick, but I agree with Oroborous, no imagination. I also LOLd at the 'leftover '77s in one box' so we can be done with it. You're not wrong...

but I don't want to seem like the ungrateful one...glad to sub and glad to add another show to the collection. Hoping #51 and 52 redeem this okay pick for 2024.

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

Tarzan say
big talk up for five zero
why this
not that
reason bought subscription
was big talk five ooo
last year subscribing
jump thru hoops to get
subscription hope five one better
no hay now

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Really? Those shows are decent, but nothing spectacular. Certainly no tent pole show in either one. And I'm a big fan of May '77. Next year's box better be pretty damn special, so far two Picks coming that I'll listen to, but don't think more than once or twice.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

But Dave certainly overhyped number 50.

It will probably sell out quickly, unlike DaP’s 46, 47, 48, which are all still available. Even DaP 43 didn’t sell out for weeks.

So yes, more May ‘77, but that whole tour deserves release.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

I thought this one was going to exceptional, but it looks very much like an also ran release to me. I would have thought all the best shows for May 1977 have already been released. Taking the year as a whole, I never get through listening to all the official releases I have in any one 12 month period. So I doubt I'll even by this new 77 show a la carte. I like what I have with 77 - but I have enough. More than enough, truth be told

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

Well......I won't throw it in the trash, but more '77 is definitely NOT what I want or need. Still, trying to remain Grateful. I'm guessing this will save DAVEROCK the trouble of subscribing!!

Music is the Best--no matter WHAT anyone else says!!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

9/19/70 with the bonus disc from 9/18, I will settle for 5/4/77 which I my opinion is BETTER than 5/8, yes I said it. That entire 2nd set from 5/4 is one long wild ride. I am psyched to the max-I say BRING IT ON!!!

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

. #51 or 52 have to to be 1968, 1969, or 1970.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by wissinomingdeadhead

I'd rather get 5/18 at the Fabulous Fox Theatre in Atlanta and the remainder of 5/22 on the bonus. Or hell, could have stuck with the 5/4 second set. I've always been partial to 5/18 over 5/19 which was half of DiP 29 with 5/21/77. I've had really good copies of 5/3 and a lesser copy of 5/4 for 20 years. I'm a big freak for every song in that second set except Estimated, and I'll put on that Playing> Comes A Time> Playing again this week, but, I don't recall ever being blown away by it, despite the epic length for a '77 Playing sandwich (26 min for the Playing sections). I will say that I listened to DaP 41 5/26/77 more than I did DaP 45 10/1-2/77, so maybe I'll get multiple plays on the improvements to 5/4 (perhaps ABCD gave us a severe upgrade over David Gans's cassette that Charlie Miller fixed up).

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 1 month

In reply to by daverock

I can rest assured now that the 50th has been announced that I will not be disappointed in next years Dave's Picks as I have no intention to subscribe to anymore chain saw edited shows & the anxiety of faulty non playing box sets from this disorganised organisation.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

this is disappointing and dead.net your censoring is bs

user picture

Member for

2 years 9 months

Are just never happy.

I like ‘77, but Dave dropped the ball on this one.
We just got 10-1,2-77 (10-1 is playing in my car this week).
But Dave hyped up that 50 was going to be BIG. I don’t consider this BIG.
Hopefully the sound quality is just exactly perfect.
I listened to a Miller version of 5-3 last weekend and it had a lot of AUD splices (or was that 5-4?, don’t remember now).

I won’t stop subscribing because I have to have it all, and in fact, I don’t think that they are releasing shows fast enough.

So, 51?
Bring on some Pig.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

2 years 3 months

guessing we may get a Watkins Glen soundcheck and show. Should come out eventually and I'll hopefully still be here for it. Just really dig the super solid warm-up and what it may have said about this band that we love. I don't know. Either way, looking forward to DaP 50 and beyond. Started seeing the Dead in mid 1980s and later picked up a bunch of the Dick's Picks but somehow slept on the DaP series (little money, no credit card, not much brain) until I had to have the Jai Alai show. Even then I did not subscribe but eventually addressed the error of my ways. Really like the series and looking forward to the 2024 box. There must be a bunch of us hoping for some sort of treatment of Alaska 1980, a tape of which passed down by my older brother sparked my enduring love for pretty Peggy-O.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

#50….this must be a joke, right?

Not funny.

Box with Pig, please…

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

What are our options?

Spring 71

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

Okay, so there is a hissy partial 1st set that circulates, but why would anyone want to retire it for a crispy full show upgrade? Like me, you're probably super tired of all those Deal, Good Lovin', Ship of Fools, The Music Never Stopped first set closers. Oh and the ultra-common Might As Well, Estimated, Sugaree, Samson, Friend of the Devil in Betty Board fidelity...that you've never heard... to open the 2nd set probably sucks mightily. Speaking of sucking, that Eyes -> Space -> Wharf Rat -> Drums -> NFA is probably garbage....as is that Uncle John's encore. Did I mention you've never heard any of this Betty Board post the 1st set Ship Of Fools? Just listened to 5-4-77 a couple weeks ago. Obviously it's as bad as Cornell, Boston and Buffalo later in the week. Well...gotta go bang my head against the wall.....

user picture

Member for

3 years 2 months

At first I wasn't as stoked as I really should've been, but that's because I already own the "Holy Grail" of box sets the "Get Shown the Light" from 2017. On second gander I realize how good the Paladium shows run was, as a warm up (5 shows in 6 days) for that great CT, Boston, Cornell, & Buffalo show stretch. These truly should be damn fine and good shows, especially if they get that Dancing' Streets from 5/4 as filler. Though I realize that many folks are wanting other eras due to a glut of shows from certain years. This is mathematically inevitable, so I ride with the tide. 1977 isn't depleted yet though, besides the bigger stops on tour there are still gems. {Springfield Civic Center, Springfield, MA 4/23~1977. I do hope there will be Primal Dead show gems to be released, Bear's Banana Boxes! Pig! I must say 1982 could get a pick, it's a rare year according to my stats. 1976 is also due, maybe say... Jersey City, NJ 8/4~ 1976? Or perhaps a dual release of the {6/3 & 6/4} Paramount PdxS shows (1976) that started it all back up from the hiatus? Anyways here's some 1982 suggestions; 4/19, 8/6, 9/9, 9/11, 9/15, 9/17, 9/18, 9/23. Also put 6/25~1988 for Late Brent era! Anyways Thankx and Happy Holidays!

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Fudge this site. I just wasted 45 minutes typing a post that I can't put here because this stupid site thinks it has material in it that they don't support.

Here's the gist of it. We're getting scraps for the anniversary. Scraps of 1977. Not even the best stuff left in the vault from that spring tour.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 months 1 week

I - for one - am very happy with this; a Spring 1977 SBD that has never made the rounds.. plus most of the next night.. The besr for Christmas to everyone here from Copenhagen

user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Wooohooo! Glad to get me some more Spring 1977 at the Palladium. Hope we eventually get the full run and the full first half of 1977. The second of only two Might as Wells that Spring and then it was dropped. It really is the warm up to what happens in the tour and looking forward to diving in and hearing that.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey rockers!!!

When you give people the keys to the kingdom, eventually they WILL run amok.......

So, the mind-blown is yet another 1977 show. I was there back in the day, fast forward decades later and I refuse to drink the 1977 Kool-Aid. So, for shame on TPTB.........

Feel bad for new subscribers who got snookered by this classic bait-and-switch.......

Had a different, longer post all prepared, but alas, once again I have been computerly moderated.....

Rock on!

Doc
What are kings, when regiment is gone, but perfect shadows in a sunshine day?

user picture

Member for

2 years 9 months

Some folks can never be happy. Dave thank you for what you do.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Deadheads are not so much hard to please, it’s more a case of very high expectations for the vaunted No 50 release. Fireworks and months of build up, and not quite the surprise posters we’re expecting.
I think it will be a great release, and even though the Spring 77 run has been thoroughly examined, it remains a consensus high point for a great band just hitting their peak, their Olympic peak, actually. Nothing disappointing here.
As Oro (Hey Amigo!) once pointed out in the run up to 47, there were a number of shows Dave stated in 2011’s ad banner for DaP that should see release, and 9-19-70 at the Fillmore is on there, the show with the “Hendrix Dark Star” - note the date - and chock full of Dead goodies, would have made a great No 50. Relix has a great on-line read on this show from May 1, 2015.
Regardless, anything by these guys is worth owning, so no disappointment, just keep hoping on 51, 52, ….

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by jjc

JJC - it's not that people are unhappy, just that everybody sees and hears The Dead slightly differently. Everybodys version is right for them, and if you put them all together, you have a community of Dead heads, all complimenting each other. If everyone agreed, you wouldn't have a community - you'd have a cult.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

JJC~~~~~

Point taken. And you're not entirely wrong. But I'm not one of those unhappy people, I'm the opposite.

Just for perspective: Been listening since 1970. Attended a great show (Boston) on the Spring 77 tour. Had a huge, exceptionally high quality tape collection long before deadnet came along. I don't demand that nothing but classics be released (although many have been). Have all the official release material. Continue to subscribe not because "I hafta have everything", but for the sake of convenience. I have questioned some DL picks but generally don't mind, as long as the sound quality is good and the show is solid.

All that being said, others are not in the same position. Many who never subscribed before signed up for 2024 because they were led to believe that 50 would really be some incredible thing. Be truthful, is it? OK, previously unreleased 1977, cool. Previously unreleased 1967, now THAT would be blown mind. Either way, I still have sh*loads of great Dead to last me until the rapture........

DL is the pitchman for the Dead releases. I've had good dealings with him as well as bad, he has my grudging respect because he has the impossible task of juggling eras and trying to keep everybody happy. My advice to him would be, ratchet down the hyperbole a bit. Not every release is the greatest show since Harpur College. But it doesn't have to be. It's OK to release shows that are "merely solid". That would keep many folks very happy.

I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars.....

Rock on,

Doc
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders......

user picture

Member for

2 years 9 months

Dave rock Nobody but Dave and his colleagues are making the penultimate decision. When there is conversation about "I got ripped off", "this is a real yawner" "I feel sorry for new subscribers" et al. Then it just moves into the realm of Give me a break already. I have every release and I can't wait for more. Thx Peace

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

Why don't they just tell us what's going to be in the subscription series? Why go through this process of withholding information, and dropping hints? Do they think it's going to hurt sales if they tell us what we're actually going to get?

I, for one, would really appreciate it if Dave would just come out and say, "Here's what we have planned: the first two shows in the series are going to X and Y, and although we haven't decided for certain on the next two, here are some of the possibilities we're considering."

Would that be so hard? All this secrecy and hype seems very un-Dead.

That's exactly what I think. My longer response got hey now'd. Perhaps as well!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 5 months

5/4 is probably the best as yet unreleased 77 show. 5/3 was on a KPFA marathon several years back, but never circulated. So this is a fine release on its own terms.
It’s the Dave hype and hyperbole that is annoying. I don’t think that the 50th DaP would have needed to be some sort of landmark release had not Dave used the language he did. And this release doesn’t quite live up to that hype.

Starting this short, better to get it up and add edits, rather than be Hay Nowed. Which did happen. Agreed the 50th announce was overdone, hoping it was The Ark, seen all the love for grease, for primal, for more 68/69... that must translate to a box set in 2024. Have 5/4, glad to have this with 50th, just surprised and underwhelmed after the run up. Edit 1: Yes, please let us know whats coming, whats on deck, even whats under consideration. We will say what we think, whatever comes, more than a needle in a Hay Now stack. Geminid meteors were out last night on the ride home from a concert in central New Hamster.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by daverock

I'll take anything I can get.

5/3/77 and 5/4/77...as long as 5/4/77 includes the big jam, I will be happy.

and I don't know the 5/3/77 set list.

Maybe Dave is communicating what is available...maybe the stuff y'all really really want just isn't available.

I find it inspiring that we are all as passionate about our Dead as we are. It is truly a testament to the body of work and how much they touched and are still touching all of our lives. I just fear that some day Dave and Rhino are going to give up making us happy and say screw all you all, we'll just turn off the tap. I do have my favorite eras and shows but I am very grateful for any new Dead music I can add to the library. I am especially excited when it's shows that haven't been in circulation or shows that need to be cleaned up like some of releases have been. I often wonder what the comments would have been if message boards existed back in Dicks's day. Back then we were just excited if something new came out.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

I think JJC proved your point DAVEROCK. He is strongly in the "I'll be Grateful for EVERYTHING" camp. And that is a GREAT attitude to have. The only reason I'm disappointed is because Dave's "Seaside Chat" just brought expectations too high. And don't trust me, many others have already stated the same sentiment. It doesn't mean we don't appreciate EVERYTHING Dave L. does. Of COURSE we do. My personal though is that Dave was SUPER psyched to even reach #50 (and why not). So, I'm guessing his excitement just overreached some of us. I'm not hurt, angry, offended, folded. spindled OR mutilated. I'm just a tiny bit underwhelmed. I'm sure Dave understands, and he will forgive us for being too harsh.

I've yet to be sorry that I own ANY Dead live cd, and I'm certainly not going to start now. Bring it!!!!!!

user picture

Member for

2 years 9 months

In reply to by Crow Told Me

Their approach reminds me of Columbia Record Club eight for a penny, then they forcibly send whatever they want each month. You really had to return that do not ship card religiously. But it wasn't all bad. Sometimes they were pretty good choices. If we could vote for one title a year off a list, then make the rest wildcards, that would be awesome though.

I'm confused. Of course, I stay confused. I always heard the Spring 69' Ark shows were in the vault. Unfortunately, I do not think the September 70' Filmore run is in the vault. I would think Bill Graham had master reels of all the Filmore shows. Wonder if they still exist within his estate? Do we know or have any clues to what master reels of 68-70 Dead have been returned to the vault? It will make your mind explode trying to speculate. I think all of us drooling dog Deadheads put a tad too much expectations on the 50th Dave Pick. It's just a random number kids. As for the 77' release, it does seem top shelf material; especially the 5/4 second set bonus disc. Kinda reminds me of old Dead tapes or cd's that were partial but epic material that you played over and over till the source disentagrated. So much more Dead music to choose from today, it makes it impossible not to be a tad spoiled.
I am grateful.

Sam

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by SAMTHARDMAN

middle finger to you D daht N

anger and alienate your customers. great business model.

Talking the Hey Now shyte, not Dave

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

I think folks have hit on it - those of us feeling a bit of disappointment with the selection of Volume 50 might not have felt this way if Dave hadn't made it a point to hype this release as he did:

"I think it's an incredibly special show." "When it came to doing #50... we wanted to make sure it was something very special." "#50 is truly a special show." "The shows that are #50 are truly magnificent."

But then there was this:
"The bonus disk alone probably should have come out in the Dave's Picks or the Dick's Picks series decades ago."

I think if he hadn't said THAT, we wouldn't have tied ourselves in knots of excogitation trying to parse what he meant. No wonder we started dreaming about Fillmore East Sep '70. Or the "Memorial" shows (May '68 at the Carousel.) Because I've been trading Grateful Dead shows for well over three decades, and I've never heard a single person say, "Lord have mercy, please let them release 5/4/77 before I die... that show shoulda been out decades ago!"

But I'm still grateful. I love getting these shows every few months. I love the liner notes, the photos, the packaging. I love Lemieux getting distracted by seagulls or flotsam in his seaside chats. I love hoping for a cool #2000 but instead getting #20483 and contenting myself with, "well, maybe next time!" And I know Mr. Lemieux can't please all of the people all of the time.

What I don't love: getting hey now'd. Let's see if this posts. (edit: Yes! 1st try!)

Just disappointed
Daverock, Doc, Mr Ones, WIM (second paragraph), etc and perhaps best Obeah, stated it well.
I agree, the sales hype was the issue generating higher expectations about the big anniversary.
I love DL and truly appreciate his enthusiasm and all he does, but the hyperbole can be a bit much sometimes, even if it is your job to sell product. We know whuz up, just give us the straight skinny.
That being said, I’m grateful for every show from every year, but imho there’s been too much 77 comparatively.
No offense if that’s your go to! Just a personal opinion.
If say, they gave us ten more years, you’d think they’d want to save some good stuff for later. I love 80s, but do we really only want those eight years from now because that’s all that’s left?
You’d think they’d dole them out more evenly?
I still think they should do 5 releases a year: 1 60s, 2 70s, 1 80s, and 1 90s.
So I’ll listen and enjoy it once or twice, but there’s too much comparatively from a year I don’t go to so much, which is disappointing, but that doesn’t mean I’m unhappy…
Nice problem to have, I know lol, too much primo stuff from 1 year ; )

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

On YouTube with mark pinkus regarding 49, under 3 minutes long but rather insightful.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/2024-daves-picks-subscription-early-bird/081227817411.html