• 1,005 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    "Basketball and music have always been alike for me, the celebration of life and all other good things. These two art forms represent the best of teamwork, constant motion, creativity, leadership, communication, focus, execution, friendship, loyalty, cooperation, hope, opportunity, purpose, sacrifice, discipline, honor, and fun. Fun to play. Fun to practice. UCLA and the Grateful Dead embody the highest levels of this celebratory joy. At UCLA, it was endless fun, every day, in every way. We couldn’t wait to get there, to get going — though it was never as much fun as when the Grateful Dead came to play with and for us." - Bill Walton

Is there anyone who knows the acoustics of Pauley Pavilion better than Bill "Grateful Red" Walton? We think not, so we signed him on as a liner note scribe for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48, the complete previously unreleased show from UCLA's Pauley Pavilion 11/20/71. He was there, after all, "driftin' and dreamin'" as the Dead shape-shifted through a first set of Americana classics from WORKINGMAN'S DEAD and AMERICAN BEAUTY into their second one featuring truly primal psychedelic jams (a 23+ minute "The Other One"). They peppered in hot takes on tracks from the recently released SKULL & ROSES ("Bertha," "Me And My Uncle," "Not Fade>GDTRFB") and road-tested tunes like "Ramble On Rose" and "Tennessee Jed" that would make the cut on the following year's EUROPE '72. It's all delivered with such precision that we've had to come up with some overtime for disc three. There you'll find 75+ minutes of music from the Kiel Opera House, St. Louis, MO, 10/24/70, with the rest of the show due sometime in the near future.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48: PAULEY PAVILION 11/20/71 was recorded by Rex Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • pine_marten

There are several "picks" which are sold out that I'd like to have. Shows I was at. Dekalb, Upton and Deer creek. Deer creek was fun. Could not remember where we parked and sat in the grass until the lot was mostly empty. The roads were empty of the fuzz by then too.

• Oroborous

You can’t really compare different eras except according to preference.
    BUT! I will say I thought 48 was a good, but not RJ pick, while 49 is one of the better shows from that year.
    Personally, there’s no comparison, I’d take 49. It’s one of my fav picks while 48 was a disappointment. Not because of the era fall 71 through 74 is magnificent, just felt there were better shows.
    But hey I dig em all and thank Dave and company for all the love and hard work they put in so we can complain LOL

• Colin Gould

Too many variables. Only you can decide which to get. If you like both eras then how much of each do you have? If I had to choose I’d probably go for 49, but that’s because I’ve got much more of 71 than 85. Luckily I don’t have to pick one because I subscribe so I get them all (as long as the delivery system works)

• 1stshow70878

Pretty sure in the Feb. GD Bulletin email yesterday they said there were only 700 DaP 49 left so I'll go with that selling out before the others. Getting hard to predict what year/era will sell quickest nowadays.
    Cheers

Edit: Correction, only less than 700 left of both DaP 48 and 49.

• uncle_tripel

...will SELL-OUT first? my money is on 49, let's GO 49; and btw, that is NOT a reference to the fourty-whiners lol

• uncle_tripel

personally, gonna stand with TN JOHN on this one; gotta believe that different gear & different recordings from two different bands during two different periods of music 14 years apart renders those releases non-comparable, and
    DAVEROCK nails it, which ERA do you like BEST?

peace all!
    uncle_tripel

• DeadVikes

I think that is a first. He only gets one?

So, which Dave's will sell out first?

There are four currently for sale now.

What will be in that 79 box Love My Girl?

• daverock

I'd go for Daves 48. In fact I have. Fall 1971 was one of the greatest periods in the Deads career - and any show from that era would trump two from 1985 for me. Not for everyone though - just depends what you like.

• TN John

I would say go for #49.
    You will be getting 2 fantastic shows from a less mined time period.
    Peace

• deadheadjohn
    Default Avatar

Between this one and Dave’s pick 49, which would yall go for as I can only afford one as much as I’d love to get both

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

2 years 11 months

"Basketball and music have always been alike for me, the celebration of life and all other good things. These two art forms represent the best of teamwork, constant motion, creativity, leadership, communication, focus, execution, friendship, loyalty, cooperation, hope, opportunity, purpose, sacrifice, discipline, honor, and fun. Fun to play. Fun to practice. UCLA and the Grateful Dead embody the highest levels of this celebratory joy. At UCLA, it was endless fun, every day, in every way. We couldn’t wait to get there, to get going — though it was never as much fun as when the Grateful Dead came to play with and for us." - Bill Walton

Is there anyone who knows the acoustics of Pauley Pavilion better than Bill "Grateful Red" Walton? We think not, so we signed him on as a liner note scribe for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48, the complete previously unreleased show from UCLA's Pauley Pavilion 11/20/71. He was there, after all, "driftin' and dreamin'" as the Dead shape-shifted through a first set of Americana classics from WORKINGMAN'S DEAD and AMERICAN BEAUTY into their second one featuring truly primal psychedelic jams (a 23+ minute "The Other One"). They peppered in hot takes on tracks from the recently released SKULL & ROSES ("Bertha," "Me And My Uncle," "Not Fade>GDTRFB") and road-tested tunes like "Ramble On Rose" and "Tennessee Jed" that would make the cut on the following year's EUROPE '72. It's all delivered with such precision that we've had to come up with some overtime for disc three. There you'll find 75+ minutes of music from the Kiel Opera House, St. Louis, MO, 10/24/70, with the rest of the show due sometime in the near future.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 48: PAULEY PAVILION 11/20/71 was recorded by Rex Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 3 months

….and St. Louis.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 3 months

Hey, you have 12/9/79 as the date of Dave’s pick 48 on your home page…..

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

How did I miss that? A long CD of October 1970?? With Pigpen on Hurts Me Too and Lovelight?? A Stephen into Not Fade?? Holy Shmokes. These are the kinds of releases that I subscribe for. Gotta say it. Not singing the company song, just giving thanks where due.

With the massive Summer '73 box this year, I gotta wonder what the heck they're gonna do next year... My only regret is that they probably stay away from '73 for a while. How about that long-overdue fall '72 box?? Arrgghh, there I go again.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Bless their pointy little heads. They try so hard, lol.
Already dissecting the comment re: 10-24-70.
"with the rest of the show due sometime in the Near future"
Near to me should mean it's a 2024 DaP but maybe not to Dave. No telling.
Cheers
Edit Dave clarifies in the seaside chat. Not much else left of the '70 show in the vault and it will be 2024 filler.
Love skating on fresh ice.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

Wow! Disc 3 from October 70. Dave is definitely keeping us guessing.

What will next year bring? Four shows from the eighties?

And that has to be the coolest cover to date.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

My copy sucks,,, hope thier's is better!

Track list be nice to see what parts of the 70 show are there.

--- sorry found the track list for the filler.

user picture

Member for

1 year 8 months

YAY!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JoeyMC

Well 10/24/70 will make lots of folks more exited about 48, and I bet ole Billy the Kid is dancing a jig ; )
Now for the overthinking lol: if he’s going to tack on the final few songs that don’t fit here, onto a pick next year, then you have to wonder if perhaps that pick might be also from 1970?
AND….???
Wonder what the other video he needs to make is about (as he turns off the camera with a sly dog cat like smile), Just the 49/sub video, or ???
How cool would something completely different for the holidaze be! Hey, a girl can dream lol
And HF already pontificating about fall 72 lol, we are a greedy lot eh! ; )

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Looks like Dave is trying to release all St. Louis music that exists in the vault.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

1 year 5 months

Didn’t see a 2 show set coming, walking on the sunny side!

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Typed out a whole long post the other day that was rejected by the Man, but the gist was hoping that DaP 48 would be taped by Rex, as he did a masterful job on 11/17/71 DaP 26, and I think he is quite underrated as a taper. His tapes ended up in the Betty batches, so there may be more upgrades if it turns out there's a Rex tape. DaP 21 4/2/73 is one of the best sounding tapes of the Series. Not a huge fan of the show itself, but a gorgeous tape.

Edited to add: the filler on disc 3 is exactly the songs I would have picked but with Attics added.

Edited again to add: agreed Darkstar! I have a folder of all the St Louis releases, this disc will be added to that, along with 2/2/70, 3/18/71, 12/9-10/71, 10/17-19/72, 10/30-11/1/73, 5/15/77) somehow can't locate my DVD of the Download Series downloads, which had a '69 show from St Louie...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

Is this the first Fall 70" show to ever be released? My guess is another Fall 70" pick will be released as a Daves next year with the rest of this show as bonus

Sam

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Perhaps 19791209 is another slip up and it will be DaP #49?

Edit: Remember the DaP #44 show from 1990 had a missing 1969 track from DaP #43 added to the end, so don’t rely on these missing tracks appearing on a ‘70’s show.

Edit 2: Looking back I see I ordered the 2023 subscription on 25th of October last year, so more product is a little more than a week away, with any luck.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

That the video Dave has yet to make concerns the subscription for next year.

You're welcome

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Going back and listening to 10/21 & 22/71 has me noticing Keith really playing to impress (possibly thinking Pigpen's return could've been the end of his tenure with the Dead?), and it's pretty impressive for being just a month or so in. I'm sure by the time this releases show happened he had likely felt like he secured his spot in the band for a big part of the Dead's history.

That bonus '70 St Louis material is nice. Wouldn't surprise me if a '70 pick will be the first for the 2024 subscription, or #50 with the bonus disc. That announcement should be coming pretty quickly. I'll be on-board.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

1 year 5 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

Collin Gould, 12/9/79 is a slip up alright, but it's harking back to the previous release, DaP47 which is the 12/9/79 show in St. Louis. Someone must have forgotten to update the header or something. I'm still hoping 2024 brings at least one early-to-mid 80s release. Quite a few underrated performances from that time that deserve their due!

user picture

Member for

5 years 1 month

That listening party is absolutely blistering!!! Fall 71 delivers big!

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Charles In Charge

... for now. But seeing Fall 1970 peep it's head from out of the shadows was a bit of a surprise.

Thanks Dave and Rhino, it took disc three of this release to pull HedrixFreak out from the abyss. One can only surmise if you waited until 2024 it would have been too late. Tragedy narrowly averted.

If you notice, the next 18 shows after Kiel Opera House 10/24/70 were all in New York including the epic November Capitol Theatre run. So essentially three weeks of playing almost every night. It's a bit of a tease, and now that we know this soundboard exists (actually it's been in the archive, but bear with me on this), it leads one to believe the next 18 were recorded by the same person and they have finally found their way back to the vault. It would then be reasonable to expect the 2024 box set will be New York November 1970, The Complete Recordings.

Thanks so much both for this release and for setting the expectation that 2024 will give us an additional 18 shows from the next month. I'd hate to think you are going to hold out on us for as long as it took to get 6/10/73 out. I think I speak for everyone in expressing my gratitude.

But don't try to give us another cassette master box set now that we know you have found these pristine soundboard from 1970. We have six months to sharpen our pitchforks should you decide to pull a switcharoo.

#November1970TheCompleteRecordings_or_AngryMobWithSharpenedPitchforks
(just saying...)

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by Charles In Charge

How right you are. I had mistyped the DaP 47 date in my spreadsheet! They’ve corrected the banner now. I hope you get some of the releases you want.

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

I do not have a copy nor have I heard either of these shows, the 70 stuff looks gr8, and late 71 is always good. This is what I was hoping for all along, soundboards or shows that I have never heard. Keep it up and some spring 70 would be awesome too.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years

Dave, love all that you do but can you please stop breaking up grate shows only to release the rest of the show at a later date?!? If the show is worthy of release, don't break it up. It ruins the continuity of it for historic listening purposes. There are plenty of uneven shows you can use as filler when need be. 10/24/71 needs to be released on its own, not in two seperate releases! Come on man. We fans are diehard and you know this.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Surprised no one has commented on Dave's big tease about some of the releases being 3 CDs and some being 4 Cds
Is 49 going to be 4 discs?

I am sure the 71 show won't disappoint - but it's the inclusion of a section from Fall 1970 that is the main draw for me here.

10/20/1989 Philadelphia Spectrum

...and three days later the Grateful Dead played California Earthquake, the first of two times played. I was not at that one, but should have been.. and certainly wish I had been...

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Dave explains in the seaside chat about this breakup.
I agree to some extent and am happy with 75 minutes of this show.
But if there's only the encores or so left for later like the one he did recently I'd say skip it. But at least that one completed a whole show for us.
That said, the folks who rearrange this stuff digitally in their own files probably want it even if it's not a whole show but that's all there is in the vault.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

I will put 10-24-70 back together when I have all the pieces.
Thanks Dave/Rhino for the bonus show. Keep the releases, and the bonuses, coming.

Yes Dave, go make that 2024 subscription video. I’m ready to order.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

It is strange that past releases such as 12.26.69 and the like haven’t been selling out right away. Also the last 72 show as well. I am thinking that the number of releases is at a good number for all those who want one. Me on the other I can’t get enough of that primal dead. Dave thanks these last two years you have knocked me down in the nicest way with 12.26.69 this years 72 and the current number 48. All I can say is wow. I have listen to number 48 on Relisten and it’s great and Keith is on fire. As far as the filler Pigpen like John lee hooker always keeps me moving impossible to site still lol.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Now we wait for delivery each day until 3.

Cue "Shipping Blues"...

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

Ahhh how lovely...10/24/70! I have a pitch-corrected copy of this one, and though I tend to listen to the night before instead (Georgetown - that Other One on 10/23, my god) I am definitely thrilled to hear this one is coming out.

I haven't even listened to Dave's seaside chat yet; I just had to come here and gush because I'm so excited. My birthday is this weekend so this is a brilliant present for a 1970 fan like me. After all of the troubles I had with delivery of Vol 46, I was on the fence about resubscribing, but things like this will ensure Dave and the gang at Rhino have my sub for another year. Take my money already Lemieux

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Obeah

....🥳.
I pulled the trigger and ordered Heads & Tails. Used credit card points. Because they were just sitting there doing nothing.

TRAMJAMS, I'm guessing you are correct at another 4 disc set coming out in 2024. Since DaP36, they've done that every subsequent year (DaPs 40 & 45) so I bet we're going to get another. I love the idea of 2 full shows (or close to it--DaP40 left off one encore to be added onto DaP41--wasn't a huge fan of adding a 90s encore to a '77 show) on a single DaP release. As I saw someone mention earlier, maybe it will be a couple of the fall 1970 new york shows...or maybe they get their wish of the complete recordings. Can't imagine the cost on that... :)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 3 months

funny how the inclusion of a "Bonus" disc 3 of a partial 10/24/70 show (with the rest coming in the future) seems to be the main draw to this DP#48. Hopefully there are more to come from this massively under-represented period in the official releases canon of the GD. Between 5/15/70 and 2/18/71 exactly zero official release full shows.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

watching adam 12 yesterday,,,, they were going after a pot dealer.

He was selling lids man! anyone really use the term lids?

anyway say to the guy,, this is my best stuff and I should be getting a lot more the 12 bucks!

Can't get a deal like that anymore.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Haven't heard that term lids since I was 15.
$17 was the going rate for green seedy Mexican.
Full oz. of course.
Cheech & Chong, "No stems, no seeds that you don't need. Acapulco Gold is bad-ass weed." (insert inhaling sound) Love that jingle.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

true, when I first started getting high, lids was the term that was used for a bag of weed. 4 finger lid, 3 finger lids, not much was said about the exact weight, but 4 fingers seemed to be the average size bag, and I never weighed them, back in those days, just happy to get it. :)
I think back to those days and I think a lid was 15 bucks, and a dime bag was about 2 fingers and was truly 10 bucks. Most dealers in those days didn't do much less than a dime, if you wanted less, had to go to someone else, like the guy who sold joints or little bags for a nickel. Flashback for sure. That was 69 if I remember right, 1969.

Zed, O Z, ounce, equals 28 grams…
Way old school…
$12, she ot, with all the ridiculous taxes that’s like a gram now…

Edit: of course bitd at least half was seeds and stems…cue the Commander Cody song, the part about the dog always gets me. Used to play that in our first band 40 years ago this month!

Love Keller. Great voice, great songs, was one of the first guys to do looping. He got a big bump opening for and playing 'tweener sets for String Cheese Incident for much of 1997-99. They recorded an album of Keller's songs called Breathe in 1999, still play several of the songs with Keller guesting, but Best Feeling is one of his that is probably his best known song and Cheese plays it about every 5 or 6 shows regardless of him being there. He added bass to his looping show after learning Cheese's repertoire Fall '99 while the bassist was worrying about his pregnant wife back home. He's also played a lot of projects with Larry and Jenny Keel, the McCoury Brothers as Grateful Grass. He's definitely worth seeing whether it's him doing his one man band thing, or in a group setting. He has a great voice for songs like Bird Song. Amazing talent.

user picture

Member for

5 years 1 month

Yes, if you get a chance go see Keller Williams! He always puts a great show and his enthusiasm is contagious.

Also Larry and Jenny Keel with or without Keller are a great time too! Bluegrass/Jamgrass type tunes

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-48-pauley-pavilion-ucla-los-angeles-ca-112071/081227834630.html