• 7,852 replies
    admin
    "When we began discussing audio projects to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Grateful Dead back in 2012, we knew we wanted to do something completely unprecedented. We could think of nothing more exciting or ambitious than a career-spanning overview of the band's live legacy focused on what best tells the story: complete concerts. Our first criterion was the very best live music to represent any given year in the band’s history. We wanted to make sure that there were not only the tent-pole shows that fans have been demanding for decades but also ones that are slightly more under the radar, but equally excellent. For those who listen to the entire box straight through, chronologically, the narrative of the Grateful Dead's live legacy will be seen as second to none in the pantheon of music history." - David Lemieux

We are more than pleased to announce the Grateful Dead's most ambitious release ever: 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN. Available as both an 80-disc boxed set and a custom lightning-bolt USB drive, the collection includes 30 unreleased live shows, one for each year the band was together from 1966 to 1995, along with one track from their earliest recording sessions in 1965. Packed with over 73 hours of music, both the boxed set and the USB drive will be individually numbered limited editions.

The 80-disc boxed set is individually numbered and limited to 6,500 copies, a nod to the band’s formation in 1965. Along with the CDs, it also includes a gold-colored 7-inch vinyl single which bookends the band’s career. The A-side is “Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks)” from the band’s earliest recording session in 1965 with the B-side of the last song the band ever performed together live, “Box Of Rain” recorded during their final encore at Soldier Field in Chicago on July 9, 1995.

The box also comes with a 288-page book that features an extensive, career-spanning essay written by Nick Meriwether, who oversees the Dead archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz, along with special remembrances of the band submitted by fans. Also included is a scroll that offers a visual representation of how the band’s live repertoire has evolved through the years.

The USB drive version* will be shaped like a gold lightning bolt with the Grateful Dead 50th anniversary logo engraved on the side. The drive includes all of the music from the collection in both FLAC (96/24) and MP3 formats and is an individually numbered limited edition of 1,000 copies. Digital version of the book also included on USB.

Shows will NOT be sold individually on CD. This release is sure to sell out quickly so pre-order your copy today and stick around as we will be revealing a mighty fine selection of music, art, and much, much more right here.

(Looking for a smaller 50th Anniversary commemorative keepsake? September 18th will see the release of a four-CD version of the collection titled 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN: THE DEFINITIVE LIVE STORY 1965-1995. More on that here.)

ROLLINGSTONE.COM SONG PREMIERE AND EXCLUSIVE DAVID LEMIEUX INTERVIEW
    Head on over to Rollingstone.com for the very first listen of "Morning Dew" 9/18/87 Madison Square Garden, David Fricke's exclusive interview with archivist David Lemieux, and the reveal of 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN's '69 and '84 shows.

*Helpful hints for using your USB:

Running the 30 Trips Player / Reader program:
    On Windows – Navigate to the USB drive and double click the PCStart.exe file to run.
    On MacOS – Open the GD 30 Trips drive, and double click the MacStart to run.

Viewing the digital book:
    You can either view it within the program that comes on the drive, or by opening the PDF directly.

To view the PDF, open the PDF folder on the drive and the USB_bk_spreads_08-31 file within. Selecting the option within your PDF reading application to view as a “single page” might be preferable to viewing as a continuous document.

Importing music into iTunes and other library programs:
    When you import the songs from the USB into your library, the information used to identify the track will likely leave them sorted incorrectly. Please use the song list found here to re-number the songs for each show so that they playback in the correct order.
    PDF
    Text

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd

You’re a fucking genius!

• jameslily96
    Always Need To Consider Sound Quality And Product Quality

we need to focus on best sound quality whenever checking audio and sound related product online now a days

• KenRat
    Default Avatar

if someone could provide me with a copy on cd of this show from 30 trips around the sun I would be eternally grateful. a gorgeous show that you just have to listen to to know its one of the best ever. please let me know and I will provide my details.

• whatsappnumb
    Default Avatar
    Its good to see this post and I really appreciate the author for better informative articles like this and more in the future.http://whatsappnumb.com
  • rohiy123
    Default Avatar
    great blogfriendship day whatsapp messages friendship day sms in hindi friendship day images
  • rohiy123
    Default Avatar
    friendship day whatsapp messages friendship day sms in hindi friendship day images
  • rohiy123
    Default Avatar
    really impressed with the post.friendship day whatsapp messages friendship day sms in hindi friendship day images
  • tom32
    Default Avatar
    Jee main 2018 cutoff
  • tom32
    Default Avatar
    Good to hear that it sounds damn goodRomantic Shayari Good Night Sms
  • amarsriv22
    Default Avatar
    Whatsapp is one of the most popular messaging app in the world but I have found its alternative which is whatsapp plus it is more advance than whatsappswhatsapp plus download
user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

"When we began discussing audio projects to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Grateful Dead back in 2012, we knew we wanted to do something completely unprecedented. We could think of nothing more exciting or ambitious than a career-spanning overview of the band's live legacy focused on what best tells the story: complete concerts. Our first criterion was the very best live music to represent any given year in the band’s history. We wanted to make sure that there were not only the tent-pole shows that fans have been demanding for decades but also ones that are slightly more under the radar, but equally excellent. For those who listen to the entire box straight through, chronologically, the narrative of the Grateful Dead's live legacy will be seen as second to none in the pantheon of music history." - David Lemieux

We are more than pleased to announce the Grateful Dead's most ambitious release ever: 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN. Available as both an 80-disc boxed set and a custom lightning-bolt USB drive, the collection includes 30 unreleased live shows, one for each year the band was together from 1966 to 1995, along with one track from their earliest recording sessions in 1965. Packed with over 73 hours of music, both the boxed set and the USB drive will be individually numbered limited editions.

The 80-disc boxed set is individually numbered and limited to 6,500 copies, a nod to the band’s formation in 1965. Along with the CDs, it also includes a gold-colored 7-inch vinyl single which bookends the band’s career. The A-side is “Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks)” from the band’s earliest recording session in 1965 with the B-side of the last song the band ever performed together live, “Box Of Rain” recorded during their final encore at Soldier Field in Chicago on July 9, 1995.

The box also comes with a 288-page book that features an extensive, career-spanning essay written by Nick Meriwether, who oversees the Dead archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz, along with special remembrances of the band submitted by fans. Also included is a scroll that offers a visual representation of how the band’s live repertoire has evolved through the years.

The USB drive version* will be shaped like a gold lightning bolt with the Grateful Dead 50th anniversary logo engraved on the side. The drive includes all of the music from the collection in both FLAC (96/24) and MP3 formats and is an individually numbered limited edition of 1,000 copies. Digital version of the book also included on USB.

Shows will NOT be sold individually on CD. This release is sure to sell out quickly so pre-order your copy today and stick around as we will be revealing a mighty fine selection of music, art, and much, much more right here.

(Looking for a smaller 50th Anniversary commemorative keepsake? September 18th will see the release of a four-CD version of the collection titled 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN: THE DEFINITIVE LIVE STORY 1965-1995. More on that here.)

ROLLINGSTONE.COM SONG PREMIERE AND EXCLUSIVE DAVID LEMIEUX INTERVIEW
Head on over to Rollingstone.com for the very first listen of "Morning Dew" 9/18/87 Madison Square Garden, David Fricke's exclusive interview with archivist David Lemieux, and the reveal of 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN's '69 and '84 shows.

*Helpful hints for using your USB:

Running the 30 Trips Player / Reader program:
On Windows – Navigate to the USB drive and double click the PCStart.exe file to run.
On MacOS – Open the GD 30 Trips drive, and double click the MacStart to run.

Viewing the digital book:
You can either view it within the program that comes on the drive, or by opening the PDF directly.

To view the PDF, open the PDF folder on the drive and the USB_bk_spreads_08-31 file within. Selecting the option within your PDF reading application to view as a “single page” might be preferable to viewing as a continuous document.

Importing music into iTunes and other library programs:
When you import the songs from the USB into your library, the information used to identify the track will likely leave them sorted incorrectly. Please use the song list found here to re-number the songs for each show so that they playback in the correct order.
PDF
Text

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

I was just organizing my Daves Picks File. Disc 1 of volume 2 is split into two entries. Can anyone PM message me and tell me how to combine them if possible on The ITunes. I am a old time Dead Head and a new time ITuner. I am going to agree with something someone above my post said about the USB. If I had a lot of extra money. I would right now today buy me 10 of these imaginary lightning bolts. I recommend anyone in the risk reward business to take some risk here. These USB drives are either gonna be a smash hit. Or a total flop. This is the perfect environment for a product to turn out fantastic. Everyone who is waiting might very well be the big winners here. The Pono Player and the new way music files are being played is Brand new. This is all first edition stuff here. Very early in the game. By the time everyone is using Pono Players and such. Looking for lightning bolts, these will have been sold out 5 years ago. In five years people might be going crazy to get a hold of these imaginary lighting bolts. So folks I know it is tough but if I were you I would just kick back and wait until the magic arrives. You are in the drivers seat of the future. In the risk reward business what is most important is that what I put my risk into turns out to be as great as is can be. Seeing as through this is a Grateful Dead project it is likely that someone will get it right at some point. If I had a extra 700 bucks I would buy one of these. I have two boxes one to play and one to collect. I am thinking that one day I will wish I had got one box and one bolt. That day is not today. I think it will happen though. It is not impossible that I will buy one at some point. I am watching the bolts very carefully. I know it is tough folks. As a professional who deals in antiques collectibles and cool stuff for a living I think you are all sitting in some very lucky seats. I envy the tough spot you are in. For those who saw the Dead back in the day and remember all the waiting anticipation hassle and risk it could take to drive five states away from home to sleep in a car in parking lot to see the Dead. Often by the first song you knew it was all worth it. Then by the end of the show you could not believe what you just had witnessed. I believe that is what will happen down the road with the Lightning Bolts. Just kick back and relax. If you get the Bolt someday as advertised and they are correct at that point I think you will all be thrilled. One of 1000 or so fortunate collectors. If it is this much of a hassle to get it has got to be great. Right? Look at it this way I will predict that Tesla will have a Pono player or its equivalent in its cars in 3 to 5 years. They might have that option now I do not know. Imagine someone who could buy a Tesla in a few years and just get in and put the lighting bolt in and bam what a driving experience that could be. Who would want a CD box set in the back seat of your car when you can have it all on a drive with great files. The upgraded files and the Pono player direction is the future. Plain and simple. you all are some lucky ducks. The more I talk about it the more I want in on the action. I will wait until we get more info. Looks like I have that luxury. When these exist and if the reviews come in great. The remaining stock will sell out quick. I will be watching. Got to get me a Bolt.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....Augusta '84 may just sneak in there. A rocker from beginning to end. Must Have Been The Roses being the only ballad. Stranger, All Over Now, Cumberland & MNS are all top shelf. What a trifecta to end the set!! Simply wonderful. Jerry was a beacon of light that evening peering through the opiate fog with authority. You go Jer....
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Just received this ....... 'I apologize for the tardiness of this email. I have been advised by Dead.net that an official announcement will be sent out by the end of next week, regarding the ship date of your 30 Trips Around The Sun USB order. I have no further information available at this time. I am very sorry for the delays and thank you for your continued patience. Dr. Rhino'
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 4 months

-There's only 1000 of these when they are eventually made*USB Sticks are the wave of the future *a 2-3 month delay for a lifetime of outstanding Dead Shows....the Holy Grail of Dead Boxsets unto eternity and ya'll stamping your feet and taking yo' ball and going home? I'm as frustrated as everyone else, I've learned to be patient...the reward will manifest itself and I'll have portable 30Trips until I croak.
user picture

Member for

13 years

It's gonna take me a long time to get through all 30 Trips. I listen to each song and jot down notes in real time, sometimes having to pause to catch up on writing. Plus I don't have that much spare time to begin with. So I'm only about to start 1967. But I LOVE 1966 because it really conjures an image of a band just starting out, trying to keep the crowd entertained and dancing. They throw a few original tunes in there to begin making their mark, and they choose some obscure covers and make them their own. It's a blueprint that endured for 30 years, although the original tunes of course became much more prominent. The between-song chatter is funny. Surprisingly, they don't sound all that high. I'm sure that will change with the next installment. There are a few tape crinkles here and there, but the audio quality is surprisingly good, although I'm not a fan of Bear's recipe for L-R panning.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 4 months

Oh man, I keep checking for a shipping notice since its "coming soon" and now they are giving us an update with a new shipping date Next Week! You're kidding! 50th anniversary does mean this year guys......I know it will come when it comes and of course still want it but i am somewhat speechless at this point.

Member for

16 years 11 months

vguy,Jerry was definitely a beacon of light that evening. Just completed the '77 first set this morning ~ wow! That is one fine -- nearly perfect -- first half. The groove on Brown-Eyed Women reels the whole band in and doesn't let go from start to finish. That leaves me teary-eyed from the beauty, and then comes Music Never Stopped...wow. Really enjoyed the '85 first set, too ~ moreso, surprisingly, than the 2nd. My old tape started at He's Gone, I think (maybe Samson), so I'd never heard 1st set. Let It Grow rawks. Slow Ride -- anyone heard that song in recent years? If not, count yourself fortunate. Like Chinese water torture, it just goes on and on, relentlessly milking chorus after bridge after instrumental break after alternate bridge after variation on chorus, till you just want to shout "ALRIGHT, ALREADY!!!" Sorry for that outburst.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

So if USB Sticks are the wave of the future (not gonna argue with that), then Dead.net/Rhino better get their act together. My rants are not specifically at the delay (these things happen), but at the fact they have NOT BEEN UPFRONT about the problem, and treated their customers with disrespect (despite the emails thanking us for our patience .... how patronising!) Unless the stick is way more intricate than would appear from pictures, then it is still a USB Stick in a fancy case, and people are going to think twice if they release another. Anyhow, let's see what they have to say this week (hopefully it will be 'back on track')
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

I can hear it anytime I want- all I have to do is turn to one of the local 'classic rock' stations around here. They have it on an endless loop- along with Joe Walsh's 'Life's Been Good'.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

Called customer service and tried to cancel my USB this afternoon. I was told that there is now a "special protocol" involved. They are forwarding my cancellation request somewhere and I was told I should receive a response "early next week." Too many cancelations or is it finally shipping?
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

what about the guy on the bull television commercial. for slow release carbohydrate drink...maybe glucerna. i thought was funny
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I always liked Foghat. Saw them many times and they were/are great musicians. I thought their take on Muddy Water's "I Just Want To Make Love To You" was a slick rock interpretation on this blues classic. They used to play a lot in my area along with Molly Hatchet, Blackfoot, Edgar Winter and/or Rick Derringer and/or Johnny Winter, Black Oak Arkansas, Alvin Lee and countless other groups from that era. I can't get enough of this 9/10/91 MSG show from Boxilla. The groove they hit during the Shakedown opener really sets the pace making this one of the all-time greatest shows the Dead ever performed. Certainly a peak within a peak of the post Brent era. I took a couple off weeks off from the box and came back to first 10/27/90 (great show from Paris, and in the wake of recent events seemed the place to jump back in. We are with you France. The US wouldn't exist as it does without France's historic support.) I followed that up by 10/21/83 (randomly jumping around) and now the aforementioned '91 MSG show. This set will get a lot of love from me for many years to come.
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

yeah those same acts came to my hometown a lot also, as did 38 spacial, the nuge. Saw Fhat in 1977 it was fun. JUst huge parties back then not sure anyone could really hear the music. just a loud muddled mess much of the time
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

30 Trips USB customer, Thank you for your continued patience while we work through the production issues that have delayed your 30 Trips Around The Sun USB shipment. This note is to let you know we've sent you some Grateful Dead holiday cheer, as a "thank you" for your continued patience. So, please keep an eye out! We very much appreciate you sticking it out with us and we'll update you as soon as we can. Best, - The Dead.net Team
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

but at least they are trying. I fear this means much longer delays. Doubt it's shipping anytime soon. 30 Trips USB customer, Thank you for your continued patience while we work through the production issues that have delayed your 30 Trips Around The Sun USB shipment. This note is to let you know we've sent you some Grateful Dead holiday cheer, as a "thank you" for your continued patience. So, please keep an eye out! We very much appreciate you sticking it out with us and we'll update you as soon as we can. Best, - The Dead.net Team
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 6 months

@mitchmo. just call back and ask for manager/supervisor. there is absolutely no legal reason whatsoever for you not to be allowed to cancel and receive a full refund prior to the product being sent to you. No idea what they mean by "special protocol" but the answer you got is absurd. Regardless of whatever complications they now have that they can't even cancel an order, they need to take care of it now. Sounds like that silliness with Daves 2016 subscription and the free shipping nonsense which required one and in some cases more than one call to cancel the shipping charge. Seriously, this is a business operation that really needs to get it together. Jeesh...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 11 months

I just went through this last week. here is the special protocol: the CS rep on the phone is not authorized to cancel the order themselves, it has to be approved by a manager and is usually done within 24 hours. I had to call three time to get it done, but it got done. So I would give it until Friday, if you do not get an email confirm cancellation then call back and be strident, but respectful, that it be cancelled. You will get it, just be persistent.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 8 months

Fellow DeadHeads: It finally dawned on me why we do not have our USB sticks yet. After "doing the math" it is quite clear that the music at 24/96 will not fit on a 128GB stick. Here's why: from my CD set I was able to determine that there is approximately 77 hours of music on the 80 discs taking up a total of approximately 49GB (each hour of CD quality music takes up 635mb of space). 24/96 music takes up approximately 3.25 times this space or a total of over 155GB of space. That alone is bigger than the 128GB without the MP3s added in. Looks like the delay is due to the fact that the music we were promised won't fit on the stick they ordered.... Everyone have a nice Thanksgiving. BZ
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 11 months

That email from Rhino is a joke, and the fact that you are now having a hard time cancelling is also pretty crazy. So - they added an extra step to cancelling so one will think twice before doing it. I agree - asking for a manager and explaining your situation should resolve the issue. Obviously, these people under-estimated the effort it takes to create the USB (size wise) as well as the mastering process. Here is something to keep in mind, and wjonjd could back me up on this one: Only the 89 and 67 shows were multi-tracked, but even those were recorded (I think) using 16 bit equipment. Think about this comparison: When you watch a movie that is made in 3D (Avatar) and a movie that has 3D effects added after the making (Antman)- they have to do a different process to add those effects so the normal movie looks 3D. Well, with 24bit/96khz - they actually have to remaster these recordings in that quality even though they were not recorded that way. Now, the FTW shows were recorded digitally in 24bit - so, the mastering process for those show probably took less effort, which is why the turn around was so quick. Boxzilla was already mastered in 16bit/44.1khz - so they basically had to touch up the recordings (which they didn't do for 1982, but I won't go there), and that is why I believe they were able to spit out the 80 disc set on time. They have never released a USB chip, nor music in that quality. They basically underestimated the entire project - I have no idea where they dropped the ball, everything I am saying is pure conjecture, but what is fact is that they have done very poor communication considering the price and time of delay.

Member for

16 years 11 months

I wore a Foghat t-shirt the first day of 7th grade. My older brother regularly cranked "Slow Ride" and "Fool For the City" from his basement cave. But for me, at least, that music belonged to that time only. Last time I heard "Slow Ride," I couldn't believe how over the top it was and couldn't wait for it to end. Apologies to Lonesome Dave, but he achieved his dream, did he not? I'll say this--it was only half as awful as the Judas Priest greatest hits cd that drove me out of a record store a few years back.... The '77-'81 hard rock corridor was just different times. And this is just my opinion, of course.
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

I was never a Foghat fan, though I couldn't name 3 Foghat songs:-). I have a massive collection and a buddy called me the other day and whined that I had no Foghat in it. I was like "OK", I'll get some just for you. Got 5 or 6 of their albums in, called him and said, I got some Foghat in, bring me your drive and I'll update it. He was like, I didn't want any, was just surprised you didn't have any. So now I have some and just weeks later it got brought up here! (Still can't name 3 songs by them, but listening to slow ride right now,,,, I don't feel I've missed anything :-) Funny thing about the USB's when set was first announced I thought for 700 bucks you got the disc AND a USB stick with them on it. Seemed reasonable to me, a 2 buck stick with the music already ripped for you. Wasn't till days later I realized they were two different items. Still seems like for 700 bucks they could include a stick or a dvd disc with all albums ripped for you. Also they could have taken out the fade out from one disc to the next. I'm not complaining, I think the box was a nice idea and really for 80 cd's priced fairly, let alone the cute box, book and scroll. I've also been further wondering if maybe I should grab a USB version just to sit on, with the way people are talking about cancelling, maybe this is an item that will be worth something someday. In any event maybe I'll get a stick of my own and rip all the cd's to it in wav format for use in my car. Might be convenient.
user picture

Member for

9 years 3 months

I've driven a few people out of the house with: * Hot Blooded (Foreigner) * Little Willy (Sweet) * Stone In Love (Journey) * Dream Police (Cheap Trick) "Police, Police!" * Miss America (Styx) * You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet (Bachman, Turner, Overweight) * Lonely Is The Night (Billy Squire) or is it Led Zeppelin, Nobody's Fault But Mine? * Sweet Emotion (Aerosmith) * Red Barchetta (Rush) * Paradise City (GnR)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

You have full right under local and federal laws to get a full refund. The product is on extensive delay. Consider cancelling, the USB stick is not coming for a long time.
user picture

Member for

9 years 3 months

I admit, I'm not much of a connoisseur of Dead music after 1978, but since buying this 30 Trips set, I'm really blown away by the 90s stuff. These are literally the only shows I have from the 90s, other than DP 27, which I just picked up, and which is fantastic. Is it just that the good shows are few and far between that nobody talks up the Vince era? DP 27, goodness sakes - Feel Like A Stranger, Shakedown Street, all disc 3 with Dark Star, Watchtower, Stella, Throwing Stones, Baba O'Riley, Tomorrow Never Knows. This guy's keyboards sound like so much better a fit than any of the Spring 90 stuff or MSG '87 stuff I've heard, where the keyboards are just this dissonant clutter upon the mix. If it's got to be the 80s, I much prefer the 1980 stuff when it was mostly Hammond-type sound, and whatever is used on Feel Like a Stranger (almost sounds like a Moog - maybe it is).

Member for

16 years 11 months

I'd have been okay with BTO and Rush, and a bit o' Toys In the Attic...if you wouldn't have driven me off with the very first song! You could lure me back with some Black Sabbath Volume 4.... Heck, I'll even give Nugent credit for resurrecting my 7th grade persona against all expectation as an opening act in 2000. His verbal offerings were, of course, a whole 'nother level of entertainment. All due sympathies to the USBers among us. With all life throws at us, your patience shouldn't have to be stretched over a gift to yourselves that's supposed to bring a box of sunshine. I can only testify that this collection of shows is worth having, even if your 50th Anniversary parade is all but rained out. The music is still the imminent sunshine.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 2 months

1992 is pretty gag worthy. Sorry for my negatory opinion here, but Weir's vocals are the worst ever. His bizarre attention-getting antics are just horrible. Why wouldn't a friend tell him to cut the crap? What was the word someone here used for his antics? It was a good word but I forget.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I am neither agreeing nor disagreeing with you, just trying to help supply a requested word.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

Got my cancelation confirmation. Dear (redacted), This email confirms we have cancelled one or more of the items from your recent order (redacted): NAME: 30 Trips Around The Sun Digital Box (USB) SKU: 4080-851767 QTY: 1 You have not been charged for the cancelled items from your order. If there are additional items in your order that haven't been cancelled, you will be charged for those items when they ship. If you have any questions, please contact us at http://dead.net/spring1990help. Thanks! Dead.net Store Team I think this clip is appropriate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpraJYnbVtE
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 4 months

To delete
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

I saw the posts by batzye and sfrank115 and wanted to respond as well as I could. I did some actual conversions on GD files ripped from CD and then did some math to determine approximately what the size of the files would be that were coming on the USB. I'll explain how I came up with my numbers, but first wanted to point out that although batzye's numbers are approximately accurate, he is assuming that the 24/96 files they will put on the USBs are WAV's. I think that is highly unlikely. I believe they will use FLAC's as they are musically identical and because that is the format that dead.net/rhino have always used to provide hi-res files in the past as downloads. His numbers are also slightly high because I believe that there is between 73 and 74 hours of music, not the 77 he used. I could be mistaken about that, but it wouldn't matter as I didn't use time to do the calculations, just the number of bytes. I took one disc of live GD music in 24/96 WAV format and called it "A-W24" which was 2.53GB. This converted as FLAC (using highest compression level) was 1.46GB "A-F24", and as 320kbs mp3 was 184MB "A-MP3". I used these ratios in combination with the actual size of 30Trips (including the 45rpm tracks) to determine what the sizes would be for 30Trips. I used the actual number of bytes rather than the rounded Gigabyte figures to get as accurate a number as possible. 30Trips-W24 = 141.9GB (24-bit WAV) 30Trips-F24 = 81.9GB (24-bit FLAC) 30Trips-MP3 = 10.1GB (320kbs MP3) So, if they used the FLACS and MP3s it would be approximately 92GB. Even if I'm off by quite a bit due to variations - like let's say I happened to pick a disc of music that happens to FLAC compress much more than most for some reason, it would still easily fit on a 128GB USB stick. As far as the mastering processes that sfrank115 refers, I don't have any inside knowledge, but I do know that almost all digital mastering is done in either 24-bit fixed, or 32-bit floating specs, and at either 96khz or 192khz. Since the files are being provided in 24/96, my guess is that these are the specs they used during the mastering process. All of the shows that came from analog tape would have been digitized to 24/96 for mixing (if multitrack) and mastering. Shows that were recorded to digital in anything below 24/96 would likely have been upconverted to 24/96 so that the hundreds or even thousands of digital manipulations that can take place during mastering don't add noticeable quantization noise, which happens much more readily at 16-bits than 24-bits. The initial upconversion is a simple and quick process, and wouldn't add any noticeable timeframe to USB stick delivery. I don't believe that the music for Boxzilla was mastered at 16-bits - that would be highly unusual because even though the quantization noise level of digital music at 16-bits is still basically inaudible, the quantization noise added each time you do one of the hundreds or thousands of digital manipulations typical during mastering of the files can create noise that IS audible. This is one of several reasons why 24-bits is critical for mastering, even though I and many believe that when you convert the final product down to 16-bits, the final 24-bit files and the 16-bit files will sound the same to human ears. In any case, I believe that all the mastering and mixing was already done in order to complete the production of Boxzilla. I do not believe any further mastering of any kind would be required as they would already have the exact 24/96 files that they will be providing on the USB sticks. Therefore, I do not believe that any mastering or mixing issues, or anything having to do with any further work on the files beyond what they already did for the physical box, would have any bearing on the reasons for the delay in the USB stick. In fact, I think that AFTER they finished creating the exact files that will be used for USB stick, they needed to do a little extra work to create the CD files for Boxzilla including converting the files to 16/44.1. Disclaimer - I could be wrong about anything and everything above. I don't think so, though. :) Edit: I just noticed that they do actually state above that the files that will be provided on the USB stick will be in FLAC format, not WAV, at 24/96, so the 128GB size of the USB sticks is not a problem. Edit2: Once the USB sticks arrive, could someone post the actual total size of the combined FLAC files and combined MP3 files please?
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

... I used to say, "I put The Residents on when I wanted people to go home". OK, my wife would leave too :-)
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....and with Cornell '81, I have completed my thirtieth trip around the sun. It's like having a buffet of sonic selections with which to sate your appetite. Mmmm....mmmm.... ....all sound spectacular except Manor Downs '82 and Zenith '90. Texas has too much high end, and France sounds a little muddy. Other than that. Impeccable....I maybe would have added a small light on the underside of the lid that came one when the box is opened. That would be cool.... And to those who ordered the bolt. I would hang tight, and wait. Easy for me to say, that that little piece of tech may be a hot commodity in the future.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

I get this isn't an Altamont type debacle, but for those who dropped the bucks for a product that apparently hasn't been made yet, this isn't feeling like a Woodstock-type love-in either. I was thinking of buying a bolt. I'm a non-CD guy who loves streaming GD music. Kinda the ideal customer for this, but I'm thinking no way now. Am glad refunds are being given to those tired of waiting. On the upside, this did free up some cash to purchase an unopened'73 Winterland Box Set from Amazon at original pricing. So I got that going for me. Let me know when you're ready to download 30 Trips or somehow get this figured out down the road. For now, the 4 CD set is sounding fine to me. Till we meet again 30 Trips. No bolt for me for now. Always loved Rhino, so I'm surprised. Used to shop for years at the (now closed) Westwood Boulevard Rhino shop. Always a little sad when driving by still. Oh well.
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

Feel like I won the lottery....Talk about an embarrassment of riches....just scored 2 bottles of 12 year old Pappy Van Winkle Special Reserve "Lot B" & 1 bottle of 10 year old, Old Rip Van Winkle. Pairs very well with 30 Trips.... This Thanksgiving I give thanks to being a very lucky man....in more ways than one. :) Happy Thanksgiving everybody. P.S.-I work for a small liquor store so I actually got it for what it is supposed to sell for,not the bullsheet prices most see it for.Now that I think about it,it resembles secondary market prices like DEAD stuff.Crazy P.S.S.-It's also officially ski season here.Whaaahoo!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 8 months

I believe wjonjd is correct, I left out the FLAC conversion. The exercise in math, however, did take my mind off this incredibly bad situation....
user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

but the one i really dig is....87 ! though it`s not the " epic " with " the usual suspects " - no DS , no Other one , no Scarlet - but the vibe , the feeling , the singing , the playing , you can almost see the audience dance and cheer....so that 87 is truly epic !
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

i was informed by PM from someone who got info directly from an email from the powers that be that the mixing and mastering was done at 24/192. So that would be one modification to my description below. I don't think that would have much impact on the time involved. The rest of the description would still hold. Everything analog would have been digitized to 24/192. Everything digital would have been uponverted to 24/192, mixing and mastering processes performed on the files. Then for the CD's, a set of files would be converted to 16/44.1 with noise shaped dithering and hdcd encoded, and another set of files would be downconverted to 24/96. I think the likeliest reason for the delay (i have no idea but it would be nice to actually find out) might be that it was contracted for overseas manufacture, what they got was incorrect somehow (poor quality, missing files, mislabeled files, who knows) and that the lenghth of time to have them redone and shipped stateside again was high. That's my guess. I wonder if we will ever really know. I very much hope you guys get your music before the Christmas holidays :):)
user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

Since there was a delay in both products, I figured it was something common to both. I thought from the beginning, it was something as simple as the typical 1 or 2 second pause between songs. When they were QA'n song to song, they did not notice this, but when they played an entire cd, it was apparent. They checked the all the files and saw that it happened on all formats. Since the CD box had one set of files to be fixed with 6500 orders to fill and Bolt had double the amount of files to fix (HD & mp3) with only 800 orders to fill, they corrected the boxset first. Compound this with the big 50th celebration and all the other projects in the works and fitting the rework in Rhino's existing schedule (or who their vendors schedule), these timelines got bumped out big time, but rhino did not want other unrelated projects to get delayed. This is all speculation on my part. If they knew the delay was going to be pushed out significantly for the Bolt, the should've waited on charging customers. But if they had done that, the Bolt purchasers would've been upset they were excluded from the streaming. It was a no win situation from dead.net, but they made it a lot worse with their lack of communication. People waiting for the Bolt should be pissed and rightfully so.
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

You guys are missing the best that that band had to offer when you don't listen to the first album, simply entitled "Foghat" or the second album, with the rock and the roll on the cover. Funny story, when that second album came out a friend of mine asked me "what is that on the front cover, a stone and a biscuit?' lol, when I told him it was a rock and a roll, he had a puzzled look on his face for about a second, then he got it and laughed out loud. Listened to both of these many times in my travels about the country back in the early seventies, it was great driving music. As far as the usb, don't cancel, wait till it ships, then ask for a refund and keep the product, after all this, you deserve it.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I just listened again, twice, to the 30 Trips show from 1970. All I can say is that the second disc is awesome! Highlights for me are the "Jam" and the "Dancin" which goes to a different place then usual. Great stuff. I have yet to find a Trip that is not excellent. Lovin' them all. I agree with Unkle Sam. The early Foghat is tremendous. When I was in college these first couple of albums got lots of play, especially when we were pulling all nighters, which was way more often then you would think! Back then classes were only a small part of my college experience. Guess I still pay for that today but boy did I have enough fun for several life times! Rock on
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I also really love this Winterland show. What is it about 30 Trips 1970? Oh, I'm glad you asked. Start with the sound, it's probably the best audio representation from the year. But once you get past that, it's hot hot hot, right out of the starting gate. Highlights for me: Cold Rain & Snow, and this one is the best version I've heard from the '69/'70 years. I imagine this is a tough song to get a great two-track mix down on, because of the harmony vocals. Most two-track mixes are left victim to an unbalanced soundboard (think Thelma), but this one is just exactly right....heh! Very solid China Cat Sunrider that also has great sounding backup vocals. Blistering guitar work from Bobby and Jerry on Technical Difficulties. Pigpen blows the door down like the Big Bad Wolf on Man's World. Wow, do yourself a favor... Candyman is worth the price of admission. Who invited the Allman Brothers anyway? Crypticals, Jam, and The Other One - I am going to quote my bestest Dead Head buddy. This is what he had to say: "....I switched it up to Winterland 70, and then I got put in the replay mode. I got hit by the best that's it for the other one that I have ever heard. So I played CD 1, then CD 2. Again, again, and again. It's been like this all week...." Dancing in the Streets - TIGHTEN UP. Fantastic jam vehicle. Great primal Lovelight to close the show, with just enough NFA. They were really captured in their Primal glory on this one.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 2 months

Agree about The Other One. Wow. I still like the Harper College one better, but they are neck and neck.This is my kind of Dead, which is why I have trouble with anything after 1977. Not a jot of Dead past that is anything like this. Very little from 71-77 is either, but there are at least many good points there. So that explains a bit why I'm critical of the Dead past 77 - it just depends it seems to me on what kind of Deadhead one is. I'm into their acid test roots. This kind of The Other One is how I compare anything else they do. So it's a high water mark for sure! I'm just not a "Hell in a Bucket" kind of guy.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I also have a hard time with anything past the 70s, but really I would say 78 has some stuff I wouldn't want to be without. There are a lot of shows I enjoy in 78 (DP 18, DaP 7 & 15). I also love The Closing of Winterland. While I really dig those three releases from the Spring that I just mentioned, they are more or less the same batch of songs that were being performed with regular virtuosity in 77. The 12/31/78 show is a great performance that sounds great (multi-track) and has some new tunes: Stagger Lee, I Need A Miracle, and From The Heart Of Me, plus the Return Of Dark Star. And to be honest, I like a lot of the Egypt stuff. I don't think the Stagger Lee and Miracle are as quite as good as Winterland, but they're respectable. What is worth the price of admission from Egypt: Jack Straw (great jam and climax, everyone seems to be in tune) New Minglewood Blues (really cool slower version - I can actually keep up with what he's singing, and yes, women DO start looking good after a couple shots of whiskey. Nice barroom piano from Keith throughout) Candyman (nice version with nice tremolo solo from Jerry) Stagger Lee and I Need A Miracle (respectable versions, just not the monsters that we get on The Closing of Winterland) Deal (this was my favorite post-hiatus version for awhile, then DaP 15 was released - Donna sings her ass off good at the end, just like the DaP 15 rendition) Fire On The Mountain (it's biggest crime is being separated from Scarlet Begonias. Nice long version with some extended jamming at the end, a Phil Zone spectacular) Iko Iko (Love it. As good as 5/15/77 and 11/4/77) Shakedown Street (the crown jewel of this release - only official release of Shakedown Street with the Godchauxs. Maybe I had too much too fast.) The Bonus Disc has some cool songs on it, but the performances are little bit loose. And the sound is great throughout, multi-track madness. And of course Keith is the star :) I'm trying to get better acquainted with Road Trips '78. I've only listened to it a few times, and my first impressions are that the sound is not great, and that the performance is a little loose. I also prefer the non-slide Bob Weir of '78. The only time I recall that it bolstered a song is Stagger Lee from 12/31, and with all of the guests present that night, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't him. And don't forget - it's only in '78 that Estimated Prophet truly comes into its own, as Jerry's early solo has been extended from 20 seconds to 2 minutes. Dick's Picks 18 is the place to go for Estimated BOAT (although DaP 15 is a close runner up). Happy Thanksgiving all you Dead Turkeys
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....yeah. This is the kind of Dead I like. At least at this moment. My Stealie compass points to many directions. Tomorrow I have my eye on that Dijon show....I recall it being....French
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....if you have that glorious box, open it up, pull out 1970, spin disc 1 track 6, pack a bowl, and let Pig & the boyz tell you about a man's world. Careful. It's been known to reach out and grab ya by the collar and shake yer bones....wow....primal indeed. Like I said. Highlight. Wow! ....edit. Yeah, I said I was gonna revisit Dijon, but this damn box spoils me. My compass swung away a few degrees. Landed in the bay area. Could be worse I guess....
product sku