• 85 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    All hail the "holy grail" of Grateful Dead shows! In honor of the anniversary of CORNELL 5/8/77, we're issuing a 2nd pressing of the complete show on 5LP.

The Grateful Dead played more than 2,000 concerts, but none continues to spark interest and provoke discussion quite like the band’s performance at Cornell University’s Barton Hall on May 8, 1977. It is one of the most collected, traded, and debated concerts by any band ever, has topped numerous fan polls through the years, and was a favorite of the group’s longtime archivist Dick Latvala, who stated: “Enough can’t be said about this superb show.” Even Uncle Sam got into the act in 2011 when the recording was “deemed so important to the history and culture of the United States” that a copy was added to the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry.

CORNELL 5/8/77 was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson. After several years the master tapes were seemingly lost for good, but that all changed at the end of 2016. The lost tapes finally made their way back home to the Grateful Dead vault, making it possible to officially bring the world this legendary show. The complete live show has been transferred and restored by Plangent Processes and remastered by long-time Grateful Dead engineer, Jeffrey Norman.

The 2nd pressing of the 5-LP Cornell 5/8/77 set is on 140-gram vinyl and the packaging features an alternative color-way.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

Hasn't this already come out on vinyl once ? I wonder if this is an improvement on the earlier edition, or just the same. I also wonder if anyone will be buying and hearing this for the first time when this comes out. It would be nice to think so.

• Dennis

I too was shocked this came and went instantly.

I was surprised the "let me know when more available" actually worked.
    Got an email while at work last night and ordered right away.

I will be out record store day for 5/7/77,,,,, guess I missed 5/9 when it hit,,, will be looking.

FYI - I have two copies of FW69 (3/1/69),,, anybody have two copies of 5/9/77,,,, trade?

• icecrmcnkd

I got the vinyl clean with a Spin-Clean record cleaning system.

• daverock

Looks like it's available again now. Maybe they made a boo boo when they said it had sold out earlier on.

• kemo

This is what people want and ebayers scooped up the latest batch! Why no email to loyal customers. I got shafted on one I bought on eBay that had two copies of record no. 2 and no record no. 3. Now you release this an it’s scooped up by bootleggers without notification to customers! I’ve dropped a lot money over the years, thanks a lot!

• jjmcd03
    Default Avatar

The difference between the two pressings is that the 4 LP set is missing Fire on the Mountain and is an audience recording pressed to vinyl. Not a great audience recording as the auditorium added some reverb to the sound.

The original release is a sound board 5 LP set containing the whole show .

• Puzz
    Question on the diffrence between pressings

HI there,
    This is my first comment/ post. Not sure where to post this but anyways.
    I just scored the "Dead in Cornell Limited import pressing Volume 1 &2".
    Now when i looked at the song list for the live in cornell that was just released it seemed identical to an extent.
    I guess my question is - what is the difference between this Import Pressing which is 4 vinyls, versus the 5 lp pressing.
    Any insight would be neat as frick.
    thanks,
    Tommy P

• unkle sam
    that's too bad, they had an opportunity to use the analog tapes, but cheaped out and did it the easy way. Sorry ICkid, ask for a refund if you can't get that smudge out.
  • icecrmcnkd
    Side 6 (Scarlet/Fire) had a huge smudge on it and was dirty. Totally unlistenable. Tried cleaning it with an official record cleaner and it still sounds like crap. The recording itself just sounds like the CD was transferred to vinyl. Pretty much a waste of $.....
  • Cousins Of The…
    It was some kind of spam for a cleaning service...nothing exciting!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

All hail the "holy grail" of Grateful Dead shows! In honor of the anniversary of CORNELL 5/8/77, we're issuing a 2nd pressing of the complete show on 5LP.

The Grateful Dead played more than 2,000 concerts, but none continues to spark interest and provoke discussion quite like the band’s performance at Cornell University’s Barton Hall on May 8, 1977. It is one of the most collected, traded, and debated concerts by any band ever, has topped numerous fan polls through the years, and was a favorite of the group’s longtime archivist Dick Latvala, who stated: “Enough can’t be said about this superb show.” Even Uncle Sam got into the act in 2011 when the recording was “deemed so important to the history and culture of the United States” that a copy was added to the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry.

CORNELL 5/8/77 was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson. After several years the master tapes were seemingly lost for good, but that all changed at the end of 2016. The lost tapes finally made their way back home to the Grateful Dead vault, making it possible to officially bring the world this legendary show. The complete live show has been transferred and restored by Plangent Processes and remastered by long-time Grateful Dead engineer, Jeffrey Norman.

The 2nd pressing of the 5-LP Cornell 5/8/77 set is on 140-gram vinyl and the packaging features an alternative color-way.

user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

I Wikipedia-ed Rhino to get dates.I believe the limited edition releases you are referring to are from "Rhino Hand Made". That imprint/series was begun in 1999, I read. Rhino was bought by Warner in 1998. Rhino's founder left in '99 and started Shout! Records, a re-issue label that in many ways mimics the practices and ethos of pre-Warner Rhino. At least a dozen of the Rhino Hand Made releases have recently been re-released by the Wounded Bird label. Wounded Bird has some sort of relationship with Warner and only releases re-issues of Warner-owned releases. These Rhino HM re-issues have all been in standard "jewelcases" with booklets that include only a small portion of the original release booklet. So those particular "limited editions" of yours haven't EXACTLY been re-issued. Regardless of anyone's overall opinion of Capitalism, my point remains. To expect artistic integrity or attenuation of profit-seeking from a corporation is naive. Sorry I am not bowing to your sacred cow. Marx and Jesus are both intellectual saints who's legacies are demeaned by being used to benefit those seeking selfish power and social control. Nothing left to do but dance and shake your bones... Loving my elite-ness, by the way. Soooooo goooood.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

Good you can read a nice infallible as the pope wiki. When Warners took over Rhino they eased out handmade because wait for it ...it didn't make enough return for the cost. The two ltd issues I mentioned have never been reissued along with Aretha and numerous others. I'm one of those people you don't like a collector and pay attention to those things. Wounded Bird is a reissue company and a pretty good one at that. But they reissue old records they aren't in the business to reissue Rhino. As for reveling in Marx's 200th good for you lots of historical illiterates around and they go hand in hand with economic illiteracy. So wave your fool flag high
user picture

Member for

6 years

it IS all about the music....all the music I can get my hands on. and also its NOT all about the music cuz if it was the band would have to 9-5 jobs cuz every show would've been free. lets agree there's a happy medium inbetween
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

You missed the point I originally made and several others agreed with. I was responding to the unfortunately many here who think profit is bad with an additional I want it my way unltd. forever available no matter what the cost because this whole thing isn't about the money it's about the music. Reality no money no music even if our sainted Dead were doing it. As far as capitalism getting the most product into the most hands. That's part of it the other part is timex v. rolex
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

10th 1980
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

All this for a show that's not even the best of that month!
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

First off, it seems that most who are complaining about reprinting limited edition releases are those who resell these. Those reselling the 1st vinyl printing for $180+ now have to compete with a cheaper option and aren't going to be as profitable in second hand markets. While "all music edition" versions of re-releases of box sets is another point that sets people off. My view is that this music should be made available to anybody and everybody who wants it, especially that damn FW '69 box. Just re-release it. Who cares if some schmucks on Ebay won't get the $500+ they want out of selling them secondhand. I've subscribed and collected dave's picks from the very first year, and wouldn't be at all upset if they decided to reprint all of those too. I would just hope that some of the shows that were chopped up into the bonus discs would be made available in their entirety. I haven't really been a vinyl collector since the 80's, when most releases were still coming out in that format. I've acquired a handful in recent years, but never play them. $120 (let alone $80) for something that will degrade the first moment I place a needle on it doesn't really appeal to me. If it were something that's only available in the vinyl format, I would consider it, strictly to play once to transfer to digital, then listen to that copy exclusively. otherwise they are just pricey cardboard sleeves and boxes that serve as tchotchkes. I suppose if I had disposable income and plenty of space to display, I would get into them more. Back in the day I would buy brand new records for between $6 and $10 per vinyl disc. I think I bought my first brand new vinyl copy of E'72, a three record set for under $20. That being said, I'm still tempted to get 2/27/69 FW on vinyl because I missed out on the FW '69 box, and am glad that at least they are up to reprinting them finally. Would prefer a reprinting of the CD box though. There is a certain warmth to vinyl though, if you don't mind the snaps, crackles and pops. Extra caution and care is required, short of keeping ones turntable in a perfectly dust free sterilized environment, free of vibrations that can cause the needle to jump out of it's groove and scratch up your $180 secondhand vinyl purchase. I still prefer physical media over digital though, unless it's a USB. If there were to be a massive powergrid failure, and one doesn't have solar panels, then I would consider going back to vinyl with those old-fashoioned hand crank-style spring-loaded record players with the oversized speaker cone. Music listening for the Amish.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years

I do find it interesting how much people are reselling the old CD boxes for but if people are willing to pay that much more power to the open market of selling them I'm happy to see this get a 2nd pressing because I missed out on the first and am now happy to be able to play this on vinyl and wear it down over the years - no intent to collect just to listen and enjoy! I did have to buy the FW69 LP set on eBay but I still feel it was a reasonable price at $75.
user picture

Member for

6 years

i think the most I played vinyl in forever was last summer where I played nirvana's Bleach two times in a row. and some people were NOT happy about it lol.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

I'll say again because it unfortunately needs to be said People With Integrity Care.And those who understand what giving your word means. Who knows maybe Rhino will eventually give in but so far they have shown integrity. As for ebay once again yea to them. I have to use them every rsd since I work on Saturdays. Not to mention all my other record collecting. I have every GD release going back to day one and will never sell any of it. This year I accidentally bought 2 subs. Rather than chance losing both trying to cancel 1. My nephew is the beneficiary of that mistake. Point being in case you missed the point the 1st time. It ain't about making a killing for those of us who oppose reissuing ltd ed it's about one's word. As for vinyl 180 gram vinyl will always hold its value v. 140 gram. An analogy might be silver discs v. Burnables
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Silver CDs vs gold CDs. A lot of people claimed that the gold Dark Side of the Moon sounded better. I never heard it so I don’t know
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

Actually that's a better analogy than mine for the 140 v 180. To me it was/ is less about sound than durability of the medium
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Nice post, Spacebrother. I never understand people kicking you and Unkle Sam and some of the rest of the crotchety old fuckers here square in the balls - I really don't. As I have said before, if we all painted with the same brush it would be boring as hell. Nice people, well, some of them have no balls at all, and I'd rather hang out with raging alcoholics than teetotalers. For the color, if nothing else. Rhino is going to do what they're going to do and we're all just going to have to live with it. Everyone here is brought together by a shared love for Jerry Garcia and the music, that continues, in various forms... in some degree or another. Keep your eyes on the road, and your hands upon the wheel... \m/
user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

Aren't they pressed against the same master so the depth of the groove that the needle tracks is the same? I did some research after asking the difference earlier in this thread and was blown away by the potential can of worms from a turntable geek perspective - tracking, height alignment (vat) due to thickness of the record - wow was not my intention, just want to educate myself and get feedback from fellow bus riders. Besides that technical stuff that my low end turntable does not have, it seems that the thickness will provide deeper base because of the heavier "substrate" - not sure about the specifics and don't want to start a heated debate but figured I'd reply back. Still giving it some thought. Is the durability due to the thickness will plane flatter so less inclined for the needle to skip? of the thicker the disc, the less chance of warpage?
user picture

Member for

6 years

the only thing I know about vinyl is I'm not all that interested in it anymore. when I was buying it i was buying it from independent small labels at the time cuz it was kitschy with me and retro this was when vinyl was gone from major label releases you wouldn't find it in stores and I was fascinated even though our turntable was broke. I think some of mine are probly worth something to someone as they all mostly out of print. and it didn't cost nearly as much then either. I could get a vinyl format I think for about 7-8 bucks then. this was like early 2000's
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

Ha welcome to the world of vinyl fanaticism. I don't go nearly thay deep. They can get really peasonal, your mama stuff. No what I was referring to durability is simply the extra vinyl helps retain flatness and possibly some other qualities over the decades. Why I should be worrying about decades now is beyond me.
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Wow, sure don't mean to come off that way, but if you read it that way, blame the internet, blame my lack of written skills, blame it on Trump, blame it on 9/11 when the world changed, blame it on anything you want, I don't care. It just seems that if you have an opinion that is different than others, you are open to attack, but fear not, I wear a steel cup so you can't hurt me with your colorful remarks. I agree with Space a lot, so sue me. I have been called a lot worse than crotchety old fucker leddead, and it's ok. It's only words and one must consider the source of the attacks, which most of the time it's from someone who has a different opinion and just can't resist throwing stones when there is no fear of retaliation. I'm sure most here that I have had a difference of opinion with would never say those things to my face, that "balls" thing you talked about. As far as lp's go, I love them, I can't afford them anymore, but I still love them. My first lp was Paul Revere and the Raiders, Kicks. It cost .99 cents. Lp's will last quite a long time if you take care of them, keep them clean and the cats and dogs away from them and all your loaded friends who just can't resist dropping them on the corner of the coffee table. 180 to 200 G is one fat record, almost impossible to warp and was the standard for most all audiophile recordings I own, but I also have some dynaflex lp's that sound great and weigh about 50 g, it depends on the press, if you press and press and press the same lp off of the same master lacquer, it will eventually lose it edge, the actual part that presses against the vinyl and cuts the grooves, so, the more "limited editions" they cut, the worse they will sound, until you get the millionth press, which has hardly no highs and lows left, as they have been worn off from all the cutting that it has done. Did Rhino remaster and make a new acetate? Probably not, so a second edition will not sound as pristine as the original batch of records cut. That's why imports are better, thicker vinyl, and cut with care, and also promotional copies that they send to radio stations, they are the very first cut, and sound the best. They know they are going to be played, and played a lot, so a better press and better vinyl is used for these, usually. There is an exception to all rules, but from my experience of buying vinyl for now 50 years, I find these perceptions to be true.
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

...it was all in fun. I appreciate your dignified response. You got tons on me in terms of experiences and time way back with this band. Who gives a shit what I think? I did consider that remark for a while before posting, but to hell with it. You took it like a man. A man with steel balls. Keep on truckin', all of y'all. I like you guys.
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Leddead, I like a lot of people on this site too, some, not so much, but the world is full of people, and God, in his wisdom, sprinkled in a few jerks and assholes, just to keep us on our toes. I appreciate your positive feedback "crotchety old fuck" signing off
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 7 months

Hello everyone, just wanted to put in my two cents. If you are buying this set because you would like it in an analog format, remember that Plangent requires the tapes to be transferred to digital to work. This set is cut from a hi res digital file, not tape. The hi res download will be the cleanest most dynamic format at $40.00. With the vinyl you are just putting that digital file onto a physical format with all the limitations introduced from the needle touching the groove. Signal to noise goes down, less dynamic range. You do get the nice big artwork and it is nice to see the record spin but for the price, buy the download.
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Care to translate that into English for any non-believers, dude?
user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

I'm glad they are making more of these available for the people that missed out on the 1st one. Its a great show and there is certainly high demand. But isn't it available on CD and Spotify...I don't think anyone is deprived here...I just wish that when GDM states something is limited edition, they start numbering all of them. I probably have enough Grateful Dead music to last a lifetime but I buy these releases because they are "collectors" items. (I'd still buy them anyway). So, the only different between the 1st set and the 2nd is 40 grams? What a joke...I guarantee no one here can spot the difference. Maybe make the 1st pressings a different color too? I don't know...I recently got the Jerry Garcia Before the Dead vinyl edition, which is supposedly limited to 2500 copies. That's a pretty small amount, but my local record store has copies for sale...just makes me think they made way more than 2500 and the pretty "limited" Sticker on it just helps them sell...if something isn't limited, don't say it's limited... And the price of this is too much...$20 more than it should be...even with the kaleidoscope that will only end up in the back of someone's closet.
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

But yet there is a complaint about the complaints Lol. I don't F%Cking get it.
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

I don't know if anyone else noticed. For sort of a brief time yesterday aft., someone had just opened an account here (5/14/18) and had posted some kind of line by line screed in Arabic. It just struck me as... odd. I asked, basically, what the hell are you saying? Without any real prejudice but with an ear toward caution as I would approach any similar circumstance. I see the post has since been deleted. So, the whole "Lawrence please translate" thing now appears as a total non-sequitur. But, at least there's this (thank you Warren). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK7a5UuW7BE&list=PLZ2lQK8kWoudP6L3ftHdV… \m/
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

It was some kind of spam for a cleaning service...nothing exciting!
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Side 6 (Scarlet/Fire) had a huge smudge on it and was dirty. Totally unlistenable. Tried cleaning it with an official record cleaner and it still sounds like crap. The recording itself just sounds like the CD was transferred to vinyl. Pretty much a waste of $.....
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

that's too bad, they had an opportunity to use the analog tapes, but cheaped out and did it the easy way. Sorry ICkid, ask for a refund if you can't get that smudge out.
user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

HI there,
This is my first comment/ post. Not sure where to post this but anyways.
I just scored the "Dead in Cornell Limited import pressing Volume 1 &2".
Now when i looked at the song list for the live in cornell that was just released it seemed identical to an extent.
I guess my question is - what is the difference between this Import Pressing which is 4 vinyls, versus the 5 lp pressing.
Any insight would be neat as frick.
thanks,
Tommy P

The difference between the two pressings is that the 4 LP set is missing Fire on the Mountain and is an audience recording pressed to vinyl. Not a great audience recording as the auditorium added some reverb to the sound.

The original release is a sound board 5 LP set containing the whole show .

user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

This is what people want and ebayers scooped up the latest batch! Why no email to loyal customers. I got shafted on one I bought on eBay that had two copies of record no. 2 and no record no. 3. Now you release this an it’s scooped up by bootleggers without notification to customers! I’ve dropped a lot money over the years, thanks a lot!

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

I too was shocked this came and went instantly.

I was surprised the "let me know when more available" actually worked.
Got an email while at work last night and ordered right away.

I will be out record store day for 5/7/77,,,,, guess I missed 5/9 when it hit,,, will be looking.

FYI - I have two copies of FW69 (3/1/69),,, anybody have two copies of 5/9/77,,,, trade?

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Dennis

Hasn't this already come out on vinyl once ? I wonder if this is an improvement on the earlier edition, or just the same. I also wonder if anyone will be buying and hearing this for the first time when this comes out. It would be nice to think so.

product sku