• 220 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    As we head into our 9th year of the Dave's Picks series, we're as excited as we were in mid-2011 when we conceived of the future of the Grateful Dead's archival release series. We had a clear vision, a terrific team that is still largely in place, and unlimited enthusiasm for the series, and the Dead's music. Now, almost 10 years later, we are just as excited about the Dave's Picks series as we were then. Even more so, actually. We've increased the amount of CDs we press to ensure that it's available much more widely, and we've dug very deep into the vault to make sure that we continue to produce A+ Grateful Dead concerts into what we hope will be cornerstones of your music collection for decades to come. We look back on our 2019 releases, with concerts from 1977, very early 1970 (might as well be 1969), late 1979 (might as well be 1980), and our final installment of the year, from 1973, and it thrills us to see such variety and excellence, which we hope to match (and ideally surpass!) in 2020. Beginning the year with the classic 10/29/77 show from DeKalb, we're already giddy at what's shaping up to be another great year in the Grateful Dead archival release world.

We'd also like to take this opportunity to say a huge thank you for coming along on the Dave's Picks journey. It's been an incredible trip so far, one we hope to keep going for many years, and we owe it all to your interest, support, and input. We love what we do because you continue to dig what we do.

Summer love, spring, fall, and winter - you can do the Dead all year long with a Dave's Picks 2020 subscription. To accommodate the increased demand, we're taking the production run up to 22,000 for each of the four Dave's Picks 2020 releases. As always, your best bet is to subscribe because when these releases go up for sale a la carte, they sell out within hours. No joke - hours.

In addition to the four CD releases in 2020, totaling 12 CDs, you’ll also get the subscription-exclusive bonus disc, which has proven to be one of the most highly sought after collectables we’ve ever released, and free domestic shipping. Subscriber bonus discs will not be released outside of this offer. Early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $115.92).

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Brotherbob81
    Default Avatar

Thanks brother! ✌😎👍

• Scott Mitchell
    Default Avatar

Not sure if your copy arrived but mine was received in New Brunswick on the 9th of September.

• gnoll5
    Default Avatar

Still waiting...I realize the whole covid thing has created delays to Canada, but this is crazy wait...

• billy the kid
    Looks like Rain/ Dave's Picks 2021 subscriptions

The subscriptions go on sale at the end of October and run into January. If you buy the first two or three weeks you get it on the early bird special for about
    $ 99.00. then it goes up to $115.00, or something like that.

• Looks Like Rain ohh

When do the subscriptions usually go on sale? I'm wanting to sign up (already) for a 2021 subscription. I'm on the newsletter/email list so I assume they'll email me...does anyone know?

• kep
    Default Avatar

Listening to v34 now, and scanning the complete list of Dave's Picks, and just bumming on the lack of apparent interest in shows other than the 70s. Seriously, just three from the (very early) 80s and none at all from the 90s... out of 34 releases? How about mixing it up a bit more? Please? Would be extremely grateful...

• Jimbobwe

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/grateful-dead-daves-picks-2020-s…

• Colin Gould

BOLINAS2
    The subscription window closed around 2 months ago. You can buy #34 on 21st April and the other two later in the year but the numbers are likely to be limited so you will need to order them the day they become available. As far as I know #33 is sold out so will only be available from third part sellers.
    I suggest checking you are still registered with dead.net to get their email updates.

• bolinas2
    Default Avatar

Echoing others questions about ability to subscribe a bit late to 2020- also a regular subscriber who missed the pre-order email. No "add to cart" button...Possible to subscribe? Admin- any thoughts?

• ralphm1948
    Default Avatar

I need to get the 2020 series. Unfortunately I was not able to order before the pre order process closed. I have always ordered the Dave’s picks series and would appreciate being able to continue with the collection. How may I acquire this set ? The Pope

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

As we head into our 9th year of the Dave's Picks series, we're as excited as we were in mid-2011 when we conceived of the future of the Grateful Dead's archival release series. We had a clear vision, a terrific team that is still largely in place, and unlimited enthusiasm for the series, and the Dead's music. Now, almost 10 years later, we are just as excited about the Dave's Picks series as we were then. Even more so, actually. We've increased the amount of CDs we press to ensure that it's available much more widely, and we've dug very deep into the vault to make sure that we continue to produce A+ Grateful Dead concerts into what we hope will be cornerstones of your music collection for decades to come. We look back on our 2019 releases, with concerts from 1977, very early 1970 (might as well be 1969), late 1979 (might as well be 1980), and our final installment of the year, from 1973, and it thrills us to see such variety and excellence, which we hope to match (and ideally surpass!) in 2020. Beginning the year with the classic 10/29/77 show from DeKalb, we're already giddy at what's shaping up to be another great year in the Grateful Dead archival release world.

We'd also like to take this opportunity to say a huge thank you for coming along on the Dave's Picks journey. It's been an incredible trip so far, one we hope to keep going for many years, and we owe it all to your interest, support, and input. We love what we do because you continue to dig what we do.

Summer love, spring, fall, and winter - you can do the Dead all year long with a Dave's Picks 2020 subscription. To accommodate the increased demand, we're taking the production run up to 22,000 for each of the four Dave's Picks 2020 releases. As always, your best bet is to subscribe because when these releases go up for sale a la carte, they sell out within hours. No joke - hours.

In addition to the four CD releases in 2020, totaling 12 CDs, you’ll also get the subscription-exclusive bonus disc, which has proven to be one of the most highly sought after collectables we’ve ever released, and free domestic shipping. Subscriber bonus discs will not be released outside of this offer. Early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $115.92).

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

5 Dave's releases from 1977, (including DeKalb #33) 4 releases from Brent's ENTIRE 10 plus years with the band.

Not complaining, but I would like to see a little more of the ol' Brentster represented this year.

Then again, I wouldn't want to upset the apple cart.

Hope everyone gets their #32 orders safely this weekend! Rock and roll!

Peace

No issues with the Pre-order, from the UK. Hope the delivery goes smoothly, following my issues with the Giants Box, and (late) Halloween T Shirt.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Got my subscription in yesterday, couldn't wait for them to take my money and confirm my subscription. Hoping that DaP 32 gets here for the weekend, looking forward to more '73 for the collection, the stuff from that year just hits the spot for me.

Last 5:
GD - 6/26/73 Vancouver from PNW Box, that second disc smokes. Dig that whole PNW box.
Sturgill Simpson - Sailors Guide to Earth, liked it.
Sturgill Simpson - Sailors Guide to Earth, wanted to see if I liked it as much as I thought. I did.
Sturgill Simpson - Sailors Guide to Earth, man that hits the spot.
Sturgill Simpson - Metamodern Sounds in Country Music, currently spinning, and I suspect it will spin again soon.

Sturgill is a real recent discovery for me, thanks to Muleskinner for sharing his opinion on his music, convinced me to give Sailors Guide and Metamodern Sounds a try and man I'm glad I did.

user picture

Member for

9 years

I was wondering if someone going to the shows next weekd would mind picking me up what ever pins they have available at the merch table. I can trade for the pins available at Hampton or buy them off you. thanks for the help.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years

In reply to by Charlie3

Charlie, I love Sturgill as well. Just got his new one, Sound and Fury, and my main complaint is the excessive loudness they used in mastering. Really enjoy the songs but every instrument is just jacked up to 11. Makes it hard to listen to it all the way through. What the hell is wrong with sound engineers these days? How about a little separation between instruments? How about a little dynamic range? More than a few of my non-dead purchases these past few years have been ruined in this way. A shame. Guess I'll have to catch Sturgill the next time he comes through town. The last show I saw with him was great.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Lebowski, I'll be picking up Sound and Fury soon. Been a while since I found an artist that just really clicks like that for me, but Sturgill just has a really cool sound from my point of view.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

coworkers. Ugh. almost worse than naggy spouses and relatives.

The only song that fits the moment is institutionalized by suicidal tendencies

seriously. why do coworkers have to be PSYCHO?!?!?!?!?

I'm not crazy INSTITUTION
you're the one who's crazy INSTITUTION
you're driving me crazy INSTITUTION

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

So so so forgot how mellow it is for this era...Growing up as a kid in the Midwest, Dekalb metal seed corn signs were everywhere around the farms. Getting this show back in 88 when the Betty Boards started getting out, always makes me think of the signs.. Bob t

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Wouldn't they give you a Pepsi? Was that all you wanted?

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by Charlie3

such as

talking to me directly instead of behind my back
being SANE
being flexible
recognizing the flow of an organizational chart, and who directs whom

I heard an interview with Jerry years ago. he said something along the lines of:

"a good night onstage with the Grateful Dead is what keeps me on this Earth"

Sometimes, the Grateful Dead is indeed what keeps me on this Earth.

Also: all this is another reason why I am glad I live in the Evergreen State (wink wink, nudge nudge). Never before work, but..."when it's time to relax..."

So, I will subscribe on Friday (so soon after payday...wait...ON payday!!!)

GOD BLESS THE GRATEFUL DEAD!!!

"Hell is other people" - John Paul Sartre.

I don't believe it, but I've always liked it as a quote.

10/31/90...29 years ago I was in London waiting for my girlfriend to pitch up anticipating the Dead show that evening. Almost unbelievably now, I had seen them the night before and was going too see them again two nights running. It never happened before..and it never happened again.
Although I saw them twice in 1981, curiously, considering how I remember dates of taped/recorded shows, I can never remember the dates of the shows I saw then unless I consult Deadbase. One in March, one in October. I know no more.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

A friend once had some cannabis sativa , said it was good before five o’clock weed. I asked him , before five PM or five AM.
Friends going to Dead & Company tonight.
Saw the Dead twice on Halloween , 1970 and 1991. Both masterful performances.
Watching some amazing documentary about the Beatles, or How the Beatles changed the world. Sure brings back the memories. See it if you get a chance.
So I see the 10/31/90 reference from Dave Rock while watching Beatles doc with Paul talking about LSD I had to make a shout out or as Kesey called it once,”Heads across the water. “

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

“This is the cost of working with humans, Richard. They suck.”

Gilfoyle
Silicon Valley
Season 6

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

May I respectfully point out that the last two releases we've all received from GD/Rhino (DaP 31 and Giants) have included FOUR Brent shows? :)

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

Was stuck w/out HBO for a few years and just picked it up again. Low and behold, all the Silicon Valley re-runs are there for the viewing on demand. What a great show.. hilarious. I think somewhere around the first couple episodes one of the characters goes on an extended psilocybin binge. I also love the Billionaire from the first year. Cicadas & Burger King. Mike Judge is underrated.

Ha.. found it. Thanks AJS.. love that show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oejfTUlanHQ

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

A friend and I were traveling from the Charlotte shows to the RFK show in 1992. It was very late at night, and we started down this out-of-the-way road that supposedly had a campground. We were really in the boonies, and were both feeling a little anxious that we weren't finding ANYTHING down this seemingly-interminable road to nowhere.

Suddenly, I SWORE in my mind that there was an evil-looking gnome down in the ditch. I heard my travelling companion tensing up, but I didn't want to appear ridiculous by stating my thoughts. But then she slowly started, "Did you . . . well . . . no . . . ", and then I blurted out, "SEE AN EVIL CREATURE IN THE DITCH?!!" She responded, "YES!!! I thought it was just in my head!"

Needless to say, we turned right around, zoomed back to the main highway, and drove until we found a hotel room we had been hoping to not have to spring for. As we turned the car around, the creature reverted to its daytime form; an electrical box. But we've always known what REALLY lurks there.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Just in case anyone else missed it, (maybe I'm just an idiot), but pre order for the 45 series has started for 2020. I like these stupid things, worth the 45 bucks a year for them in my book. Yes 10 bucks is a lot for a 45, but hell my wife is rich!

Also too, there is a book/album coming out in April you can preorder now. The LP is part of a 68 fillmore show. The book is some coffee table book. It's a comic book,,, sorry graphic novel. I got just because! This will add to the comic book collection and as stated my wife is rich.

Latest Dylan should be here tomorrow (cd and vinyl),,,, looks like Dap won't make the box until Monday. My Nat King Cole collection has shipped and is on the way. (looking forward to the nat collection)

AND.... 30 days of dead start tomorrow!!

user picture

Member for

11 years 11 months

Hi,

I would like to request that the Dave's Picks series (and every other GD release) incorporate Jamie Howarth's Plangent Process. It is sonic magic, and the music deserves this extra investment. I'd gladly pay a higher subscription fee knowing that the tapes will be restored to their peak levels. Lots of folks have access to virtually the entire collection of lovingly recorded shows, many already of a really high sound quality. Rhino has the ability to put out a superior product, please honor the music by spending the extra money to Plangent Process the tapes.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

while driving from work in Deland Fla I was passing thru Cassadaga, which is known in Florida as a hang out for psychics and believers in the other world. As I was passing thru at just about dusk a typical Florida shower started up, so I turned on my wipers to see. As I was driving up and down the hilly townscape, my wipers all of a sudden stopped working, it was raining pretty hard by now and I was freaking, thinking that they had broke or came unhinged. I rolled down my window to see and just then they suddenly came back on, then went off, then back on, This happened about a half a dozen times. I was thinking by now, must be a short or something. I was leaving Cassadaga and as I drove out of town just past the town marker, my wipers again malfunctioned in the same manner, but this time much faster, like full speed, then off, then back on. As soon as I was out of town, all was normal. Never before or since had the wipers done such a thing. The last house in town was a well know psychic and on her marquee outside it said "have you checked your wipers lately?" Believe it or not.

I always used to roll my eyes at ghost stories, that is, until it happened to me….. My wife and I were hiking the Great Smoky Mountains on a steep trail in muggy, 80 degree weather and after being easily a long ways from any parking lot, we came to a split atop an upper level ridge and decided to take a breather. Three older men then came around on the opposite trail. They appeared to be in their late 50s, with longish white hair and beards, wearing well-worn overalls, faded flannels, thick leather boots, and not one single bead of sweat on any of them. If anything, their complexions looked slightly frigerated. They also happened to be without backpacks, maps, water bottles…. no hiking gear of any kind, or any sign of 21st century life. Two held back as one approached, inquiring in a methodical, low volume manner as to where the nearest trailhead could be found. It was completely nonthreatening though-- his mannerisms and pallid visage were more from a tone of being lost and slightly confused, and as if they had gotten used to walking for a very, very, long, long, long time. We explained the route we took, to which he responded only with a slow up-n-down nod and while maintaining the same eternal stare he had when we first saw him (the two in the back continued to do nothing but stand around in some sort of unguided patience). Off they then went and it took us both a few minutes to finally open up about what we had just witnessed. We were tempted to start walking after them, but were too afraid of what we might see, or not see……

In 1978, when I was a moon eyed 21 year old, I went the Glastonbury Festival-that year completely free and visited by about 500 people. I was sleeping in a child's tent with one of my friends, in clear sight of Glastonbury Tor. Sometime in the early hours of the morning I woke up to discover that I was no longer in the tent I had gone to sleep in. I seemed to be in the centre of a much larger tent, and I was surrounded by what looked like medieval warriors who had large dogs with them. Both dogs and men had glittering, spectral eyes. There was a leader of this group, and he also had spectral eyes. I can't remember what happened next.

About 12 years later, I was reading a book on Glastonbury myths, and came across this:

"The Fairy King, Gwynn ap Nudd, Lord of Annwn and sometime leader of the Wild Hunt, a cosmic manifestation that is universal throughout European mythology was a localised Tor spirit. He was said to have a palace on the summit from where he rode out with magic dogs and spectral warriors on his regular collection of souls."

I didn't know this story in 1978, when I was in Glastonbury.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Very true! It's just that they are all so good, I want more! :)

Got my shipping notice, but the tracking number doesn't seem to work. My guess is a Monday or Tuesday delivery. Happy almost Friday, everyone!

Peace

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Never seen a ghost but I think I saw an alien. I was camping near Pueblo, CO in the very early 1990s and I'm sure I was wasted although I don't remember exactly on what... I walked away from my girlfriend at the time, and the fire, to take a leak. Walked over behind a ridgeline/pile of rocks, and just as I was finished I saw a figure, silhouetted against the night sky, about 30' away from me. It was too thin, too angular and oddly shaped to be a person but it was humanoid shaped. For a split second I contemplated contact, and then a massive wave of fright hit me and I turned and ran back to the fire like a terrified child. I still don't know what that was, but that's as close as I want to get.

Another time, my 1979 Ford Mustang basically blew up. As I was walking down the highway, a car stopped and picked me up. I wasn't hitchhiking, just walking, but the couple and the car looked normal enough so I got in. My exit was only a few miles up the highway. The last thing I remember is, the woman turning her head around to look at me, alone in the back seat.

I remember nothing, nothing after that. No conversation; not being dropped off, not walking home, though I woke there the next day. I have absolutely no idea what happened. Weird.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

So, today is payday, and as soon as I woke up this morning, I logged on to order the sub... only to find that my bank, Crapital One, had some sort of major crash and nobody's direct deposit paychecks have been put into our accounts! Damnit!

Oh well, at least it's Friday, and Ramen noodles are still delicious!

Peace

THEY JUST WANT YOUR CASH. Too many issues with my orders this year. Sending me coffee mugs with no bubble wrap so they are destroyed on arrival. Customer Service cares nothing about fixing the situation. They reply with generic responses and don't even read emails. I am done with this company. Shame our favorite band cares so little for the fans that gave them the massive wealth they have accumulated. If Dead and Co isn't a big enough indicator that they are only in it for the money, look at the customer service on this site.

THEY JUST WANT YOUR CASH. Too many issues with my orders this year. Sending me coffee mugs with no bubble wrap so they are destroyed on arrival. Customer Service cares nothing about fixing the situation. They reply with generic responses and don't even read emails. I am done with this company. Shame our favorite band cares so little for the fans that gave them the massive wealth they have accumulated. If Dead and Co isn't a big enough indicator that they are only in it for the money, look at the customer service on this site.

I would love to own more dead merchanside and considering I could afford it, it would be awesome. However, I am not giving another dime to a company and band that cares nothing about it's fans. If they did, this problem would've been rectified months ago. Countless comments with the same issues and concerns. It really shows how little they care. Follow me on twitter @TerrapinTone for more updates

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

1 I would've left alone, maybe even 2 but you've gone over the top. These are good people who bring joy to many of us. They put out a great product and work hard to satisfy everyone. That would be us and their bosses the bean counters ( who believe it or not have a needed place in the equation) with the cherry on top being Mary. I'm sorry you've had some issues but I've bought every release they have ever put out. The 2 disc issues I had were fixed quickly. Go elsewhere to insult good people

user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

I've subscribed every year to Dave's Picks since day 1. I've also pretty much ordered every box that has been offered on this site for the last 10 years. Only had one minor issue (in 10 years) with a single scratched CD in the PNW Box that was immediately remedied. So I feel they do outstanding job here bringing us fine shows and boxes at reasonable prices--and I'm extremely appreciative of the work they do.

However, I'm saddened to hear some are having issues--but I don't think this is the forum to air one's "GD Customer Service" grievances.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to listen to the first of THIRTY free downloads being offered up this month!--Keep up the good work GD team!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by RobbZ

....I also have narey an issue with dead.net. I'm also in the camp of how so many fans do. You place your order. You expect your order to be filled and delivered. I wish I could explain how X's order was fulfilled, yet Y's order is lost in the ether. But I can't. A lot of people still haven't received their Giants Box. And that's fucked up.

user picture

Member for

5 years 5 months

So - for us that don't check back often - can someone post again on how to process payment? I've tried in Safari, Firefox, Chrome and on mobile device via cellular. I keep getting to the payment processing page and it tells me there is some field left empty from filing in my credit card data. What's the fix?

Thanks!
China Matt

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years

In reply to by ChinaMattSunflower

Chinamattsunflower, It is usually something straight forward with the incorrect details of the start date and expiry date on the front of the card and the correct 3 digit security number on the back of the card, good luck, I've been struggling myself in the past trying too hastily to get the goodies!

user picture

Member for

7 years

Get a paypal account and you only need to push one or two buttons and badda bing your order will be done.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

Love the Dave's series. I don't think there's been a bum show in the batch. I'd like to see the series as high def downloads. Even cd quality downloads. I figure the less physical "stuff" in my life the better. The box sets have been sold as high def downloads for a while now. I realize limited editions drive sales, but downloads are like printing money.

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

Ten years and never had an ordering issue until recently. Dave’s 32 arrived today, but the Giants Box is still floating in postal limbo. Just seems odd is all, especially if everything ships from the same place.

That said, I’m taking it in stride as I always do. Everything works out one way or another.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Saw Ween last night at the Mission Ballroom in Denver. Cool new venue, lots of bars and restrooms - great logistics. My pal had no problem finding a discreet location to pack his beak all night long and I got to sit down and take a crap on a non-pissed on toilet seat. It's the little things.

Listening to Robert Plant and drinking from a bottle of Devil's River Texas Bourbon, barrel strength. Going back and forth between a Frankenstein Tele I built, originally a wedding gift from my wife but since modded out, and a 2012 Olympic White Fender Stratocaster, maple neck (think Jimi at Woodstock).

18343/20000 arrived yesterday. Delighted at first listen though the drums are really low in the mix - odd. Very impressed with the setlists in NYC Dead & Co. played the last two nights, so much so that I kicked nugs.net a few sheckels to acquire them.

Football tomorrow, no worries. Love the weekends. Extra hour tonight! So tear it up. Life is good. God bless everyone.

\m/

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

In reply to by carlo13

I found the best thing about paypal is if you have to change your cc # or card there's no hassle because of payment confusion

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

Is there any chance past years may be put back into production? I missed out on 2015 and 2016 and would love to pick them up but I can't pay what people are asking on eBay.

Nothing's for certain, but I wouldn't hold my breath. If you poke around a bit I bet you can find the music.

I doubt if we will see additional production runs of prior years Dave's Picks, they seem to want us focused on the year at hand.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-2020-subscription.html