• 1,805 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    "When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • RyXs

Phil went phunkytown in Philly!
    I only wanna hear this one on my big speaker with the wonder woofer!

• Oroborous

I thought I heard it was Bob with New Balance, flared Levi’s, and a Polo shirt with the collar turned up, circa 1983?

• JimInMD

I don't want to miss this once in a lifetime offering.

They would be wise to follow-up with a mini holiday box of all the Little Stars ever played. The Bob Star Christmas Box with a Bob Star holiday ornament for the top of the tree. A good follow-up to the garden gnome theme. The ornament would be a high quality painted porcelain miniature replica of the 80's bobby from the short shorts up. A must have for the holidays.

• icecrmcnkd

Early subscribers also get a copy of Brent’s studio album which was recorded by recording over the Fall 1980 reels.

Remember when early subscribers to the GD Movie DVD release got a piece of film from one of the film reels that went to theaters?

Early subscribers to the 2022 Brent studio outtakes Box will get a piece of the tape from the Fall 1980 reels that were forever ruined……

• JimInMD

It must be true, I heard about it from the internet.

• Oroborous

Don’t forget the bonus disc with:
    Gentleman Start your engines (@6/26/88)
    and Never Trust a Woman, along with 45 studio outtakes of Take You Home ; )

Speaking of bonus material, look forward to it with mixed feelings; certainly glad to have it, but guessing that means Rochester isn’t ever seeing the light of day : ( not that I expected it...

• lebowski99
    Default Avatar

...you're a cruel cruel man and may the plagues of Moses befall your kingdom in Western MD.

• JimInMD

I heard from a reliable source next years box set will be a 22 disc compilation of every Maybe You Know performed.. including all the studio outtakes.

Looking very much forward to this.

• lebowski99
    Default Avatar

Damn, I was hoping they'd just pack all available versions of Maybe You Know as filler. That tune is gold, Jerry! Gold!

• nappyrags

I always rip my discs to my HD for playing on my portable Sony HI Res Player...I re-tag the tracks so the show flows as one and then the filler follows...mas cool that way...for me that is :)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

"When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

8 years

In reply to by proudfoot

... been listening to Dave’s pick #17, ;)
Sellland and Arena, Fresno,CA 7/19/74 ! Another primo pick by Dave ! The third disc alone will steal your face right off your head!” OhMan beautiful Jaming , everyone is “on” , I’m still totblown away. Jerry is just Jerry in every way, primo In73-74, either or an icon of excellence with in the musicianexceptship with the “Wall” The sound of his guitar ( who can name the guitar Jerry Garcia used in this performance?!?!) wicked stuff here folks!
SUMMER of 74’! Is Priceless !Theis complete performance and release in the Dave’s Picks Series #17 is a “primo” inclusion of complete recordings! It definitely stands on its own two feet! Loving this pick over & over again. Have a grateful day everyone! If you have some free time today listen to the third Cd from Dave’s picks #17 and feel the love in the air & all around you, peace be with you all’! Be safe be Kind and Please share some More “primo” SUMMEr 74’ This is the first of Nine acrossthe Country! Rock On! 🙏❤️💀🌹

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

Kind of surprised to see all the hockey talk around here, when the REAL sports story right now is the amazing SF GIANTS, who despite being projected for yet another losing season, have the best record in the National League! Woohoo!

In the Bay Area, love for the Giants AND the Dead can be almost hereditary, and the Giants are well aware of the cross over. They have been hosting a Grateful Dead Night for decades, and also a Jerry Garcia tribute night, with appearances by band members, special seating sections, various swag. (I’ve got a cool t-shirt with an orange and black SYF on it.) Band members often sing the national anthem for those games.

If anybody ever did a ranking of various Star Spangled Banners by the Dead, like some people have done with Dark Stars and whatnot, I think this version would rank pretty high. Listen to the crowd response at the end!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e67T_kjc64A

Go Giants!!!

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by Crow Told Me

I can't blame him. Being a Leafs fan is like enduring a Russian winter. He's bereft of hope.

Crow - playoffs always trump regular season. You should know that.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

I’m speechless!
My mantra now on that side is ANY ONE BUT BOSTON!
Hopefully someone from Canadaland...

As far as AVs, only five down so far, long way to go, so don’t jinx us ; )

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Crow Told Me

Yes, this is one of best versions I haver ever seen, but we are a little biased. I remember showing this to my wife a couple of years ago and she was impressed.

Thanks for posting the link. I miss those days.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Thanks Crow for reminding me of that absolutely patriotic moment! First heard it on the David Gans GD hour very near the date of its performance which was the Dead's first. In an attached interview on the GD Hour when asked why it took them so long to be asked to do it Bobby smarts off saying, " Because they knew it would take us a long time to learn it". Jerry takes the more thoughtful approach saying, "We are like bad architecture and old whores. After you've been around long enough you get some respect". Priceless! Vince really nails it and his harmonies get the applause especially on the high note. In another part of the interview Jerry is asked if he is a big Giants fan and again Bob jumps in with the dig, "Well he's not the smallest Giants fan." And again Jerry gives the more thoughtful reply, "Yeah, thanks (asshole). I guess we are like everybody; when they're doing well we start watching them. But I'm a San Francisco fan and they are our team."
How many National Anthems have they done?
P.S. It was not only the Dead's first time but it was opening day and the first female ballpark announcer in the history of baseball was also on her first day. Very historic indeed!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

So the Grateful Dead Movie premiered today on June 1,1977. Anyone around here old enough to remember seeing it that summer. I went from Baltimore to DC to see it as the DC theater had an enhanced sound system especially for the movie. The opening animation was spectacular for its time (I actually still think it holds up quite well). The movie is a great tribute to the band and the audience (us deadheads). Captures the Dead concert experience quite well. If I didn't have every scene and line practically memorized I'd watch it again tonight in honor of the premiere. Oh, heck, why not one more time.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Thanks man. Just typical of this team. Like Jerry said about the Dead when it came to playing the “big” shows like Woodstock, they didn’t bring their A game. Must be the drinking water from Lake Ontario, has the same effect on the Buffalo Sabres, not to mention the “clutch kids”, the Bills.

I’m with you - anyone but Boston. Not to jinx, but the AVs are a pretty dynamic team, all down the lineup, so unless they do a Leaf, the Cup is theirs to lose. Vegas should come back swinging after the debacle the other night. But good luck to the AVs.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by That Mike

the previous picture has me in my "covid shirt"

I want covid to be in the past

1st for those too you to remember, in the 70's Miller beer brought out a 7oz bottle of Miller called ...you guessed it ponies. If my memory isn't totally gone there were 36 in a case. The idea was they wouldn't get warm at the beach
Where am I going with this? I received the Dave's glass today ( after they told me it was canceled). It's rather small. I like it but I'd like it better if it fit the beer I make

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

I got my drink on and finally had a shot to listen front to back without interruption. Zowie! I have never heard Bob Weir sound this good before. The audio is ok to me. I understand some people didn't care for it but I don't hear any issues other than the piano being too low. I should say steady issues. There are some spots where the audio drops but that is normal for these old recordings is what I have found.

As good as Bob Weir sounds, Jerry Garcia is playing some excellent stuff too. He always sounded good back then but there are some shows where he plays a little more frequently in a song. Me and My Uncle for example. He plays so many notes. Or Tennessee Jed. He plays an excellent guitar solo. Big River is as good as I have ever heard it. I would take a whole box set of these!

user picture

Member for

7 years

The Dave's picks glass is great for screwdrivers.

user picture

Member for

7 years

Did you know butch de feo died a while back? I guess his appeals have run out. I'm listening to veneta pitb and cant get enough.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by carlo13

Watching the Big Lebowski drinking a white russian.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by carlo13

As long as Marchand is on the team - anyone but Boston.

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

Happy 80th Birthday to da man, Charlie Watts!!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by nappyrags

is like a hemorrhoid on skates

Rut, roh, Canes looking ready for the slaughter...

Yeah, I’ve been thinking it’s the water for a long time lol.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Heute sollen wir 10/14/76 hoeren
mit
noch ein andere Schau
und noch ein andere
und so weiter

Wo denn ist der die das den dem box?

WAS IST LOS, DAVE?

Die Musik haltet nie

:))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

I bin kein Roboter, du verfluchtes Ding

good to hear you,
du hast absolut recht, wann kommt die Dave's box 2021?
Whatever you say, ich bin auf deiner Seite.
Biergärten are open again. Had my share so far!
Best wishes to all of you.
G.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by gratefulgerd

My German's pretty good.

I think what they are saying in the back and forth below is the box set announcement will come today at 4:00 PM EST. The 2021 box set will consist of the June 1973 RFK both the ABB and the Grateful Dead, every note and the Watkins Glen 1973, the complete recordings.

I think I will try my hand a reply.... again in German.

Dos cervezas por favor?

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Jim,
'73 is a good, good year.
Hope, you're right. Will wait till 10 pm our time here.
If so, cervezas are not an obstacle, not at all, tres or more would be more than angemessen.
Cheers
G.

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

What I want, 6 random knockout shows from 1969. What I think it will be, 6 shows from 1980.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by billy the kid

Yeah, well I want a shrubbery! A nice one damnit!

oh yeah, Lockn 2021 cancelled :-(

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by Dennis

I see online that it will be Oct. 1-3 with a Steal Your Thursday on 9/30.

Here's your shrubbery, Dennis. (I didn't know you were called Dennis...) Hmmmm....nice, green shrubbery.....

11/11/71 is getting a listen currently. Some interesting stage banter early on, but nothing yet has blown my mind.

"WWDS" = what would Doc say?

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Sorry to say, but I am now backing the Habs.

That hit by Scheifele was total BS. Intentional and meant to hurt Evans. It makes Marchand look respectable.

user picture

Member for

16 years 7 months

Not sure if it was mentioned but...JRAD is now playing 6 sets over 3 nights at the Lockn Farm August 11-13. Tickets go on sale Friday and are reasonable at199$ for such high quality musicians. Frosting on the cake is 2 nights of late night led by John Medeski and Bill Martin...hell yes. Hopefully, they sneak in Wood and make it all out MMW latenight freekfest. I will be attending especially now thats its so small, this will be a special one.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Yo rockers!!!

Atlanta. Chaos at the start. Bad vibes............

However, somebody who was there told me that once the radicals were calmed, that the music was good.......

Listening almost 50 years later, while the show has its moments, it pales in comparison to most other shows from November of 1971.

Just one man's opinion.

Hafta run to the morgue and start working..............

Rock on!

Doc
What we imagine is order is merely the prevailing form of chaos

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

That was a pretty vicious hit by Scheifele, definitely dangerous, and from the book of a Marchand or Kadri, but rooting for ….the Habs!?
Say it ain’t so, Jack!!

My money is on the AVs - these guys are like a steamroller. Pretty damn hard to stop them.

I don’t know, the Knights did a pretty good job of slowing em down last night.
Unfortunately perhaps a few “non playoff” penalty’s in the mix, fug dat, let em play..

I don’t mind the Habs, I just like seeing other teams make it, but they sure look good right now.
Don’t think anyone saw that coming.

That hit was brutal, I still hurt!
It’s another one you have to see in real time as slo mo makes it seem worse.
Not justifying it, but if you see how fast they all were going you can maybe understand it?
I mean he was trying to stop a goal, BUT, like Enzo or somebody said, he never tried for the puck, just steamrolled the poor bastard. To me that’s the smoking gun. He wasn’t thinking about the puck.
Hope Evans is ok, cause he literally got run over!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

....oh well. I'm going to the game on Sunday. They need some vguy luck.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Vguy72

SWEET! Oughta be a gas, especially if Vegas comes out flying like last night.
Bet they’ll win!
At least last night was a good game, though I felt some of the calls were lame and it might of hurt the knights accordingly...damn refs, let em play eh!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Dave said there were three other releases besides DaP this year...it’s June...?

user picture

Member for

16 years 7 months

Any chance the shipping fiascos have delayed box set announcement? They might be avoiding a massive clusterfuck of shipping if they delay.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

S&R redo...coming later in the month

was the AB & 2/18/71 one of 'em?

box set...I really think they are going to wait on the new box until the holiday season. I hope I am wrong...

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

It always seems to me to upset the balance of things a bit, announcing two Dave's Picks - and the bonus disc trick- at around the same time, in order to attract subscriptions. There then seems to be months and months with no decent announcements at all.

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

I think the box set will be announced next tues, wed, or thurs, from 9a.m. to 10a.m. p.s.t. No inside info, just a guess.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by direwulf

Does that include the Garden Club?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Too funny!
Let’s hope not!

Now I’m losing my mind (what’s left of it), but I coulda swore that Dave said on one of this years videos, perhaps the last one, that there were going to be 3 more releases besides DaP.
Maybe it was for the S&R chat, so I don’t think that one counts, and no it’s not the AB bonus show, this was after all that...
I also seem to recall they used to do more releases for the holidaze, which would make sense from a marketing position. Remember a few years I had already used up my allotment with Santa, them all of a sudden these guys would drop something that I just had to have, which of course pissed Santa off cause now we’re over budget!

If I was in charge, we’d get 1 big (ger) box, 1 smaller i.e. RFK, 5 or 6 Dave’s a year, plus....?
Hell, if I were in charge I’d be spitting out as much of the vault as they can lol.

EDIT: it seems like maybe, finally, they rectified the shipping issues as I don’t recall seeing here too many problems this time, of course that’s DaP, ahem, not glassware etc...

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

I am really loving these Nassau shows. Wish we had all of 9.7. Greedy, I know. 73 really takes me there in general. That bouncing, joyful, tight vibe....pure beauty in my opinion. Cannot wait for Skull Fuck 50! Cheers! Peace and love, friends.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

VGuy - That’s awesome you are going to the game Sunday - you’ll see a great one. However, you mention about “ They need some vguy luck”, and then I see your current avatar….
Just saying.

Recommendation:
No - Strong Recommendation: While we await a box set announcement, for those that enjoy their jazz sans horns, the new Dave Holland “Another Land” is amazing! Great guitar by Kevin Eubanks (who used to be in one of the tv talk show house bands), and Holland is incredible, as always.

user picture

Member for

4 years

Anyone else notice how few, if any, delivery problems were reported here for DaP’s 38?

I suspect they’ve quietly addressed the issues that were widely discussed/shared for previous releases. Yes, wishful thinking is involved here.

Gives me confidence that a box set or two could be successfully announced/delivered this year.

My guess is that Rhino has been dealing with the same supplier/distribution issues that many companies are still facing.

Gotta believe Rhino is just as anxious to increase income as any other company during these strange times.

I think we’ll be hearing from Dave soon.

user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Gainsville - I haven't heard that shout out in a looong time.... Gainsville indeed!

And I'm glad that the shipping issues seem to have abated following the DaP37 fiasco. Perhaps they did opt for a different vendor or fulfillment provider. But very strange no box set announcement yet.

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Nice find...me, I want either Lemmy, The San Diego Chicken or the best one of all, The Invisible Man...

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-38.html