• 1,805 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    "When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • RyXs

Phil went phunkytown in Philly!
    I only wanna hear this one on my big speaker with the wonder woofer!

• Oroborous

I thought I heard it was Bob with New Balance, flared Levi’s, and a Polo shirt with the collar turned up, circa 1983?

• JimInMD

I don't want to miss this once in a lifetime offering.

They would be wise to follow-up with a mini holiday box of all the Little Stars ever played. The Bob Star Christmas Box with a Bob Star holiday ornament for the top of the tree. A good follow-up to the garden gnome theme. The ornament would be a high quality painted porcelain miniature replica of the 80's bobby from the short shorts up. A must have for the holidays.

• icecrmcnkd

Early subscribers also get a copy of Brent’s studio album which was recorded by recording over the Fall 1980 reels.

Remember when early subscribers to the GD Movie DVD release got a piece of film from one of the film reels that went to theaters?

Early subscribers to the 2022 Brent studio outtakes Box will get a piece of the tape from the Fall 1980 reels that were forever ruined……

• JimInMD

It must be true, I heard about it from the internet.

• Oroborous

Don’t forget the bonus disc with:
    Gentleman Start your engines (@6/26/88)
    and Never Trust a Woman, along with 45 studio outtakes of Take You Home ; )

Speaking of bonus material, look forward to it with mixed feelings; certainly glad to have it, but guessing that means Rochester isn’t ever seeing the light of day : ( not that I expected it...

• lebowski99
    Default Avatar

...you're a cruel cruel man and may the plagues of Moses befall your kingdom in Western MD.

• JimInMD

I heard from a reliable source next years box set will be a 22 disc compilation of every Maybe You Know performed.. including all the studio outtakes.

Looking very much forward to this.

• lebowski99
    Default Avatar

Damn, I was hoping they'd just pack all available versions of Maybe You Know as filler. That tune is gold, Jerry! Gold!

• nappyrags

I always rip my discs to my HD for playing on my portable Sony HI Res Player...I re-tag the tracks so the show flows as one and then the filler follows...mas cool that way...for me that is :)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

"When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Vguy72

They got rid of that original, weird post and they wiped out the reply by me and mhammond... which is fine.

Now where were we? It looks like they are cleaning house at deadnet.. having a sale to get ready for tomorrows box set announcement perhaps???

Actually.. they clearly are not going to do that until after the sale ends.

So...... 73 RFK? Ark? Fall '72? Winterland '77? All shows with a Day Job?

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

After a few discounted t-shirts are sold and the fireworks stop (literally), we're actually mighty close to DP # 39... in two weeks we'll be two weeks out. So I wonder if Dave is getting his rocks off holding back the box announcement or, more likely, there's some glitch in the process and Dave and TPTB don't want to announce a preorder until they've cleared certain hurdles, set pricing, etc. Obviously, I'm just guessing wildly in the absence of any facts -- not that that's ever deterred me before.

I guess I'll just go ahead and make the announcement myself! Six shows from fall/winter 1972, 18 discs, nice booklet, $199. Just send cash to P.O. Box Hendrixfreak. "I'm as honest as a Denver man can be, that's me...."

.....just take my damn money already.
I'm In.

and I'll include a local Sixtus token of appreciation in the postmarked envelope.
GFar, good to see you my man.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

Hope all is well your way. Things here are good. I am trying to do a better job of staying engaged instead of dropping in to read posts (i.e. a lurker biserker - as in Clerks). I think last count was 3 youngins, any more yet?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

Guessing folks there are away etc?
It is getting close to the next Dave’s though...
I’m guessing 8/30/80 offa that original possibilities list of Dave’s, cause, well,
why the hell not?

Think maybe the good ship Canada got hit by lightning and is going down.

Less work (like that ever stopped us...). Nice comradery here lately.. agree, good to see you back gfar.. Oroborous appears caught up on his community service to stop in and stir up the pot.. HendrixFreak has mildly suggested a Fall '72 Box Set and given a polite, Canadian nudge that the box had better be fall '72, or else..

All seems ok with the world. Listened to 7/1/78 this afternoon and got a repeat of the 'first set' songs during Today in GD History on SiriusXM at 7. The planets seem aligned for some good ole Holiday spirit, even if it's not a holiday where you are.

Enjoy all..
There was a polite shout-out for 6/30/85 on the pick of the day thread. Nice, hot mid 80's show..

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

NEXT>>>>there's no reason since its the only dead year i don't have anything from and maybe dig something 1986? i know most vomit n scoff but i need an 86 hehe. seriously though no reason for something 68-71ish would fit it right. something early,,,and the last one despite the continued just horrible art work no offense to artists has been playin non stop...lots june dead eyes of the world...love sugaree, the sing yer blues away, but whatever daves covers , been for me about 5 covers worth it... blah generic skeletons and do away with the dave's pick's banner,,,whatever let me do one , or anyone else on here,,, i can come up with something better, even the new garcialive with jerry's scribbles is better artwork. sorry negative just put a picture of the band on the front if if gonna be crappy kindergarten art...just think the music is worth classy art or non at all....but keep the jams flown

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

To Skull & Roses again, the new one (nice clarity) -- I know, wrong thread, story of my life -- and I say this: on Wharf Rat, I hear piano (uncredited) and I hear Jerry's vocals coming from the studio, in addition to Merle's sweet organ playing...

I say Jer's vocals were re-recorded, and he's playing piano. I know, shocking! Pretty dang nice effect, but no way he sounds that good warbling live.

Anyone?

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

50 years ago today…………

July 2, 1971
Fillmore West, San Francisco, California

Set 1: Bertha-Me And Bobby McGee-Next Time You See Me-China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider-Playing In The Band-Loser-The Rub-Me And My Uncle-Big Railroad Blues-Hard To Handle-Deal-Promised Land-Good Lovin'

Set 2: Sugar Magnolia-Sing Me Back Home-Mama Tried-Cryptical Envelopment>drums>The Other One-Big Boss Man-Casey Jones-Not Fade Away>Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad>Not Fade Away

Encore: Johnny B. Goode

Deadicated to Phil Carson, because gooey greasy goodness……….

In life, one must sometimes temper one’s expectations with reality. And the reality is, the Dead didn’t always “play up” to big expectations. This may be a good example of that phenomenon….

They didn’t blow the roof off, but they didn’t bury it either……………..

It has been reported that the Dead themselves were not happy with their performance on this night. Perhaps because they had to constantly retune? However, it’s NOT a bad show, in fact many parts are very good, including the Pigpen material (especially Good Lovin’ to close the first set, a position I like a lot), the China/Rider, and the really fine Other One. Truth be told, I actually am very fond of it, because it is rough, hard edged, and rocking. Bare bones, hard rocking, definitely recommended.

A single disc of this material was released in June. It didn’t include the thumping, greasy Hard To Handle or the short sharp shots of greasy rave-up The Rub and Next Time You See Me, but sometimes we just hafta take what is given……

Rock on!!!!

Doc
I am not in this world to live up to other people's expectations, nor do I feel that the world must live up to mine

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by KRIYAS

Kriyas-excellent show-I played that one yesterday, coincidentally. I tend to overlook those download shows, and summer 1972 seems a bit between twixt and twain-but that ones a good 'un.

Curiously, on my recording there is a complete drop out of sound for about 5 minutes, during the end of He's Gone. Just total silence, before it kicks in again with Truckin'. I have never been sure if the original recording was like that-or whether it was a fault with my downloading. My original download has long gone - luckily preserved on cds!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I don't like overdubs and have therefore never gotten into Skull & Roses or the original Europe '72. E72 is easy enough because there is a replacement version available of every song.. Are there any Skull & Roses tracks with no overdubs?
The Other One?

IMHO Pigpen's' Hammond chops were just fine in '71. I don't believe he took the the year off in 1969 while TC was in the band; I think he continued to polish his organ and play / compose music despite not playing it onstage. His improvement is obvious right at the outset of Truckin'. Check him out on 30 Trips, 3/18/71, Ladies & Gentlemen, etc. By Europe '72 he was all over the place, playing sparsely, densely, or not at all, depending on what the music called for. I think some of the best Dead stuff out there is that brief 1-2 punch of Pigpen's Hammond and Keith's piano.

So....not an overdub fan; but honestly it's the vocals that sound most out of place to me. E72 Sugar Magnolia and I Know You Rider....Snoopy "bleah!" But I'm going to give the new Skull & Roses it's due. My last word on the overdubs - I understand their necessity in those days, and most bands were doing it to an extent. I also understand how you guys who were around when these records first came out would be enamored with it regardless of overdubs (and that's great); it just sounds alien to me because I listened to thousands of hours of non-overdubbed Dead before ever encountering these old LPS.

Something went sideways on my order of the Extended S&R. I thought I bought a copy for both Uncle Gary and me when the pre-sale started but I don't see a confirmation email. But I do have a transaction on my credit card from around that time and I can't think of what else it would be. Anyway, I open the customer support ticket last night and then I went out to Barnes & Noble and bought the Extended S&R, because I can't wait any longer for the 7/2 bonus tracks. Just finished it and am left longing for the whole show. Grrrrrr. Will have to go with the bootleg version for the rest. And what an odd selection to choose. I guess they were trying to eliminate as many duplicates as they could. Thank you for making drums a separate track on Fillmore West. It sounds really good overall. Doc, good call on The Other One. I just turned it back on for a second listen.

Also Doc, I blasted 12/14/71 through the headphones, since you picked that show out of a crowd of released material from Nov / Dec '71. I had not listened to that one since around the time it came out, and we basically received four new shows from that period in a year's time with DaP 22 & 26. My first impressions on the relisten: audio solid, performance tight. Truckin' was peaking that Fall, and of course we had that 1-2 punch with Pigpen and Keith, so yeeaah. The whole show is truly awesome as you indicated. I'm a big fan of the one drummer performances of Me and My Uncle. This version shot the top of my favorites list, due largely in part to the melody Jerry is picking away at for the first 30 seconds. He's usually doing something similar, but this time he repeats it over and over in a mesmerizing fashion. Now I need to listen to 12/6 and 12/7 and see how things compare. So much homework....

Cousins, I checked out the 12/10/71 set list you recommended. The first thing that came to mind was that they played all of those songs on the Europe '72 Tour. I suppose that's the case for all of those Autumn '71 shows. It just struck me this time that they had been "rehearsing" for E72 quite some time before they made the trip.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Am I missing something or did the Jerry Garcia Band Record Store Day 2021 release disappear? Anybody hear anything.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

I've always been a fan of Pigpen's keyboard playing -- after '66, that is... Although I must acknowledge that he could never have played the imaginative TC parts on Live/Dead. But '71 sledgehammer Dead? Pig nailed it.

That said, would anyone listen to Wharf Rat on the 50th Skull & Roses and tell me whether they hear piano and studio Jer vocals?

They seemed crystal clear to me last night after a few Carlsbergs and a sip or two of tequila. What could possibly go wrong?

HendrixFreak....I believe you are indeed correct on the Wharf Rat from the newly released Skull & Roses 50th; in fact, two nights ago I listened to the GD podcast for this album (it was like an hour and half long just to cover the last side of the LP, which included Wharf Rat). And, sure enough, this exact topic came up wherein the dude doing the podcast said the exact same thing - that he seems to also hear Jerry playing those piano bits to Wharf Rat (as Do I - well, I hear SOMEONE doing it) and he said he thought it was Jerry cause it sounded like Jerry! I had always heard those keys too, but never thought too hard about it but it does make sense. He also agreed on the vocal overdubs.
An expertly trained ear!!!

GFar, thanks for the shout out - still stuck at 3 offspring, we won't proceed further as this is PLENTY. But all are well, we've made it through the past 18 months relatively unscathed, albeit endured the hits along with everyone else. Glad to hear you've been hanging in there too!!

I'm not a Robot; just a Clever Android.

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

Pig's organ work is decent when mixed within larger sonic context on a Truckin', but check the Sing Me Back Home on the bonus disc. Not very good. A little sour to my ears.

And to hendrixfreak's point, the overdub vocals and organ are why I never really enjoyed Skull & Roses. I like my live albums live. The studio vocals are jarring. I'll listen back for the piano. I got the release just for the bonus, which I am enjoying. I love at the end of The Other One Jerry hits a high note as if he's thinking of ending with Cryptical and thinks better of it (given how ragged the first part was), so no big finish to it. Agree with Doc on that Good Lovin'.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

should've been more popular, I can remember many trips along I-70 from Colorado to Ohio and this song is that entire trips....peace deadnet everyone happy safe weekend the next show in my play list digging DP Vol: 23 9/17/72 china_rider people shoudn't scoff july hockey even if non of our teams are playing in the band.... i am not a robot

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Indeed this has disappeared from the Record Store Day online list. 😥

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Thanks for the advice about cassette digitization. Still poking around on this.

I checked the list of dvds in that box, The only one that might have the 12/31/71 footage would be the bonus disc with NYE from several years, the disc lists songs from each year. Was this the dvd with the footage you referred to? I'd love to see it, I don't remember a train, but my memory is foggy. When I get a chance I'll check with my friend who was there with me.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

for those interested, new box just got here. It's Joni's first 4 albums, done up nice of course. All looks nice, big gatefold albums with words!! Joni art on covers, letter of authenticity,,, the works.

SOME announcement HAS to come by next Friday, right?

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by Dennis

10 27 71
A fine lil ol' GD rock n roll show (its got a cumberland, btw)

A truncated 2nd set includes a 3:40 jam that is mighty fine and worthy of your listening.

Also...9 9 74 has some tasties

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Now, given that at least someone also hears Jer's studio vocals on Wharf Rat (S&R, 50th) and piano (you know that's Jer, cuz he's playing just like he played on his solo album just before the S&R dubbing sessions), I have to say:

Jer knew how to make records. One has to dial back fully 50 years ago and recall the nature of commercial "records" and the "recording industry" -- a foreign planet to us, today, I dare say.

I'm not saying everyone must enjoy S&R's overdubs, but Jer knew that the quartet needed some sweetening up and there you have him fixing vocals and adding Merle.

Sounds great, to my ears. I'm not a purist, as anyone who knows me well can easily attest. And here we are, in the land of the complete show, and they're STILL making stealth dubs/patches/etc.

In the scheme of things, I'll take what's comin' my way. Geez, I still have boxes of tapes!!! WTF!!!

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

Skull & Roses is a killer record, overdubs and all, a Complete knockout, I just wish they would have included a version of Easy Wind.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by billy the kid

I may be wrong, but I get the impression that the concept of presenting live music in the 70s was completely different to how it is now. In the 70s, the emphasis was on releasing a great record, not on providing an accurate reproduction of a live concert. Several live concerts were also typically used as the basis for the record-rather than one specific show. I think maybe now, live recordings are more faithful to what was played at one specific show.

One of the exceptions to this rule-if rule it was - would have been "Live At Leeds" by The Who. That one was promoted as being free of over dubs, warts an' all, etc etc-which clearly implies that most "live" albums of the day were not like this.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

I bought the Joni Mitchell archive 2 collection from the Joni site because she was the only one offering the limitied edition vinyl. Also bought the cd's. Realized last night that the cd's were available on amazon, 10 bucks less and no shipping. AND you know they will be here before mail interruptus! So I go to the Joni site to cancel the cd request. Now this appears to be the same site you get dead shit from (warner/rhino). First I can find no way to update or cancel, then I mistakenly ordered the lp's a second time and NOT the cd's. I used the usual "contact us" form. I explained what happened,,,, usual stock message about high volume may take a week before I hear. Got up this morning, order cancelled and credit given!!!

You have to wonder why the dead shit seems to have nothing but problems and the Joni shit was fixed asap? It really seemed like the same organization!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years

The past two weeks featured two clues featuring the Dead.

Last week's clue was in the folk lore category and asked for a song by the Dead that featured a train engineer. (Casey Jones.)

This week's clue was this Steven Tyler led band knew they were onto something because the Dead said they "looked crazy." (Aerosmith, duh. Though I'm skeptical of the quote.)

Then under the category of Fungi, they were looking for the mold from which LSD was originally derived. (Ergot.)

As a bonus, last night's final jeopardy was looking for a song written in 1930, that became a #1 hit in 1960, then was used as a campaign song in the 1976 Presidential race when covered by the Band. (Georgia on my Mind.) All the contestants missed this one, but not me!

I felt a little like Cliff Clavin from Cheers.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by lebowski99

I saw the last few minutes yesterday and heard the clue about ergot.

I could not think of Georgia on my Mind, though.

"I got ramblin
I got ramblin on my mind"

- RJ, different song

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

... anyone out there big on "Char"? I've gotten interested and looking for people with collections looking to trade.

thanks

post office has my S&R collection,,,,, maybe today? Probably Tuesday. I think they have Monday off.

....and I still couldn't find a viable definition. Small bodied trout collecting?
And yes AJS, quite the underwhelming Stanley Cup finals. Snorefest. Stupid Knights. Thanks for the repping Proudfoot.
Spinning GarciaLive 16 again today. Never gets old.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

That's true, 1970s live recordings were much more doctored, to provide a more commercially suitable record, but also because technology allowed.
Older live recordings were actually much more accurate, with no doctoring at all; most famous ones would be Benny Goodman live at Carnegie Hall in 1936, Duke Ellington also at Carnegie Hall recorded his shows from 1942 to 1946.
James Brown Live at the Apollo, Jerry Lee Lewis at the Star Club, all great recordings.
On the other hand, there was also a slew of fake live recordings, using studio cuts with overdubbed applause, plain ripoffs.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Cousins Of The…

Cousins - yes, now you mention it, I can think of several live jazz/blues/rock n 'roll live recordings from 1930s-1960s that sound as though they are actual recordings of live shows-without additives.
Maybe the additives were introduced when stereo became more widely used from about 1965 onwards. In fact, many of the stereo recordings of pop/rock bands from the 60s now sound a bit fake compared to the original mono recordings. I've only discovered this in the last 15 years or so - but many classic 60s albums sound infinitely better in mono than they do on the stereo versions that I bought back in the 70s.

Char is a Japanese guitarist,,,, maybe only plays fenders?

Char Performs "I'm Here For You" | Fender Artist Check-In | Fender - a google search will find this.

He is also in the video music for change the weight

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

I think some of those early live recording,,,, benny and duke at Carnegie hall are all acoustic instruments recorded with open air mics. Not that I know anything about anything. I just assume early acoustic aren't screwed with much, hard to have the volume set high on your flute.

Char is new to me. And I appreciate the offer, but guess I will decline on the Partridge Family album. Not sure if you were kidding or not, so needed to respond.

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

I remember when "Live At Leeds" wa released it was noted how the basic looking stamped cover was meant to mimic a bootleg LP...The record company really screwed up the Legacy Deluxe edition that was said to be the whole show, which it was BUT...they changed the running order so the "Tommy" segment could run straight through on the second disc...the first disc was the beginning of the show then the post "Tommy" segments, encores included...sucked...I finally heard it correctly in the right running order when I purchased a Hi Res download...gotta say, one of my fave ever...Moon's drum intro on "Young Man Blues" still slays me to this day

Nappy -yes, that deluxe edition does rather spoil Live At Leeds reputation as being a true to life, here it as it was played on the night recording. As you say, the original album is a killer. I sold mine, inserts and all, in the 80s, when I went through a misguided attempt to economise by only buying an album after I had sold one. I regret selling albums far more than I do buying them!

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Happy Birthday to all who are celebrating. All the best on your 245th!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

It's funny Daverock- when you began talking about most live 70s albums having a lot of overdubs to them, I was thinking....not good 'ol Live At Leeds; and then you mentioned it in the next sentence. Good man! The Who took over my life when I was 10 yrs old in 1982, so the only new material I remember being released were the Face Dances and It's Hard albums. Between those two and Empty Glass, I'm convinced there's one last great Who album in there. Oh well.

But I'm here to jump on the Live At Leeds Deluxe version. I was in college by then and had never heard Tommy from its glory days of 1969/1970. There were a couple of Woodstock tracks released, so I knew it must have been an A-list affair (Sparks, Pinball Wizard, and See Me Feel Me were sizzling hot on The Kids Are Alright Soundtrack album - ironically, See Me Feel Me has some vocal overdubs that I enjoy quite a bit compared to the orig). Overdubs also allowed for the release of Live at Hull from the next night after Leeds, as John Entwistle's bass was not recorded on the first five tracks; so they used the Leeds tapes. I can live with that for a whole new Who concert. I didn't care about track order; I was just happy to have ALL of this "new" live Who music. And to hear the Tommy Overture sounding eons better than its studio counterpart for the first time blew me away. They sounded absolutely incredible. Then soon after, they released Isle Of Wight 1970, which is another perfect multitrack show from their peak stage years.

But what kills me is the remixing of this Deluxe Live At Leeds by Townshend's brother-in-law Jon Astley. He removed what is arguably the best live scream Daltrey ever....screamed. They just completely he is something else. He also turned down Townsend's backing vocals on Substitute; it's the best part of the song and he mixed it so it's almost inaudible. They butchered most of their records actually. Who Are You and Quadrophenia got it the worst. Astley replaced entire guitar solos with alternate takes (Music Must Change); used an alternate horn arrangement on Had Enough. And he really screwed the pooch on I'm One when he removed the ethereal reverb from Townshend's vocal. This wasn't merely a stylistic revamping of things. The vocal reverb he lifted from helped establish the entire tone of the song. It would be like undoing the deliberate slow-down of Lennon's vocal on Strawberry Fields.

Still committing 12/14/71 to memory and enjoying the Fillmore West bonus disc. Man I wish they'd released the whole concert. I went back and listen to my bootleg and it's really not a bad performance.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-38.html