• 1,805 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    "When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • RyXs

Phil went phunkytown in Philly!
    I only wanna hear this one on my big speaker with the wonder woofer!

• Oroborous

I thought I heard it was Bob with New Balance, flared Levi’s, and a Polo shirt with the collar turned up, circa 1983?

• JimInMD

I don't want to miss this once in a lifetime offering.

They would be wise to follow-up with a mini holiday box of all the Little Stars ever played. The Bob Star Christmas Box with a Bob Star holiday ornament for the top of the tree. A good follow-up to the garden gnome theme. The ornament would be a high quality painted porcelain miniature replica of the 80's bobby from the short shorts up. A must have for the holidays.

• icecrmcnkd

Early subscribers also get a copy of Brent’s studio album which was recorded by recording over the Fall 1980 reels.

Remember when early subscribers to the GD Movie DVD release got a piece of film from one of the film reels that went to theaters?

Early subscribers to the 2022 Brent studio outtakes Box will get a piece of the tape from the Fall 1980 reels that were forever ruined……

• JimInMD

It must be true, I heard about it from the internet.

• Oroborous

Don’t forget the bonus disc with:
    Gentleman Start your engines (@6/26/88)
    and Never Trust a Woman, along with 45 studio outtakes of Take You Home ; )

Speaking of bonus material, look forward to it with mixed feelings; certainly glad to have it, but guessing that means Rochester isn’t ever seeing the light of day : ( not that I expected it...

• lebowski99
    Default Avatar

...you're a cruel cruel man and may the plagues of Moses befall your kingdom in Western MD.

• JimInMD

I heard from a reliable source next years box set will be a 22 disc compilation of every Maybe You Know performed.. including all the studio outtakes.

Looking very much forward to this.

• lebowski99
    Default Avatar

Damn, I was hoping they'd just pack all available versions of Maybe You Know as filler. That tune is gold, Jerry! Gold!

• nappyrags

I always rip my discs to my HD for playing on my portable Sony HI Res Player...I re-tag the tracks so the show flows as one and then the filler follows...mas cool that way...for me that is :)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

"When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Dennis & Nappyrags - You’re welcome. I am a fan, too, of Morgan. I read his bio, and how he was mentored by Art Blakey as a young player, and then the documentary was released, which intrigued me more. An interesting part of this release is Jack DeJohnette sitting in for part of a set; Jack is kind of like the Jim Keltner of jazz, has played with so many different artists and albums, incredible. I was fortunate enough to see him play with John Scofield (and meet him after). Regardless, this set is definitely on my radar, especially since things are a little “dry” on the Dead front.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

New picture on Dave’s Twitter feed of a tripod and video camera next to the shore. Unless he’s teasing us, I reckon we’ll see something around the Friday mark

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by That Mike

That Mike - it doesn't look like Ginger Baker left a trail of happiness wherever he went, that's for sure. Apart from when he was on stage, that is.

Miles Davis excepts from "Jack Johnson" L.P. on the way to my house via RSD. I haven't got the box set set of these recordings, so I am looking forward to hearing what this sounds like. A freight train, probably.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

I think the mystery dark star is from 30 DOD 2019. 10/12-13/68 would make a nice box either way. Late 89 sounds good.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

I compared this to the 9/2/68 Dark Star from Betty Nelson’s Organic Raspberry Farm, based on Doc’s observations. It compares favorably, so I’ll say sometime between Sept.-Nov. of ‘68.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Jim, SDUBBZ03, sounds like you guys concur on 10/12/68. Thank you also Mr. Ones DOC for your input. Even better that I can go through the 30 Days of Dead pick it up. It was one of those deals where I stumbled upon it and normally wouldn't have paid much mind to it, but I thought it was just really really extraordinary good. So then the hunt began, but I didn't have it on my phone on any of the official releases or the many soundboard dark stars I have uploaded to it. And of course I don't have 30 days of dead on my phone. That may change soon, because I also just recently found a much better recording of Bird Song from 9/10/72 on 30 Days of Dead.

I ended up putting together a bunk bed set today and haven't had a chance to grab this elusive Dark Star, but I did listen to it a bunch of times on the YouTube video. It will be in my Jam playlist by sunset.

I used to have software to do that kind of editing and crossfading. Made a couple of cool Pink Floyd mixes about 20 years ago when CD burners were all the rage. I'm looking for some kind of comparable software do that with now. I would love to meld together a mix like this again.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

O sure woI'll ld like that.

I sure would like that.

I heard 6 22 86 set one for the first time earlier today. Glorious Greek energy.

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

39 years ago today, I was down in Ventura for the 2nd show of the weekend, it was the first year the Dead would play in Ventura. They brought back Crazy Fingers on this day , they hadn't played it in awhile. I'm sure there are enough good shows from Ventura to make a great box. Ventura, Greek, and Frost, not a single release yet, I tell ya, a lot of those shows seemed pretty good to me at the time.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

It bothered the heck out of me when I saw the Dark Star date was 10/12/68, because......where is Pigpen with his repetitive keyboard melody? (this is what had me guessing as late as 1970). Went to archive.org to look at the show and read "Notes: Pigpen was absent".

The world is back to normal.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

So found myself Truckin' up to Buffalo with the wife and her wonderful sister, her awesome husband, and my fantastic teenage niece. So far, since they arrived last Wednesday, we have taken in a trip to Newport, RI for some good food at a place called the Red Parrot we ate at a few months ago, and took a quick walk down to the sea at the Cliff Walk. Then drove back home outside Boston, slept, then off to Falmouth and a ferry to Martha's Vineyard. When we got there, we decided bikes in the heat and humidity would kill those of us well beyond the thought of in shape, and thus rented a Jeep. After lunch at a packed spot, where at one point a very soft acoustic guitar and bass began the familiar rhythm of Scarlet Begonias, then a soft female voice sang it. Hard to hear over the din of the restaurant, but unmistakably Scarlet. But food down our gullets, we proceeded to cover most of the island in several hours. (Several hours of this idiot foregoing sunscreen and the top in the Jeep. Though, at least I wore my hat to protect the bald pate.) We saw several lighthouses, but fog shrouded much else. Though some cliffs were visible, just nothing beyond 20 ft of the water or so, but the sun appeared in spots. We ferried back, and today we set out for Niagra Falls, and in the search for something to do on driving day, I suggested we stop for waterfalls in Ithaca and Barton Hall for a quick few photos.

What a great decision! There is something really fantastic about Cornell and Ithaca. The college is situated on top of a large hill overlooking a valley carved by glaciers, and the massive Cayuga Lake behind it. Seeing it behind the lake on the way out was just magnificent, you could get a better idea of the grandeur of the architecture or Cornell. Barton Hall itself is a giant track and field brick barn. It looks like an acoustical nightmare, as Bob Weir himself said it was. But it sits neatly among these awe inspiring buildings on a campus that has produced incredible things in a variety of fields and done so for a long time. I think that partly has to do with the idyllic setting. If you ever have the chance to pass that way, do yourself a favor and go through campus and check it out. Peek in the window, and imagine the crew setting up for the show. Peer up at the scaffolding in the ceiling and think of the dying chords of Morning Dew reverberating their last on that Mother's Day evening... Right after that we went to the Ithaca Falls, which is right down the road, and behind the campus. Walking down a little gravel strewn path for a couple hundred yards towards an intensifying roar of water thundering down 156' falls gives you a sense of the power of a place like this. But tomorrow those falls shall be eclipsed by those at Niagra.

Back on the road following our visit to the site of the mind control experiment, when it came my musical selection I chose Jack Straw from Cornell. I wanted Scarlet, but they would have balked at 12 min, so went with Jack at 6. As it played, I found I could picture them playing it there in a way I really couldn't before.

Ithaca is indeed a very cool place.

Based on the timing of your post, you have likely left for Buffalo. I would’ve given you some other places to check out. Feel free to send me a PM if you would like.

It’s unfortunate that Canadaland is still closed. The falls are something to behold from that side. Also, Niagara on the Lake is a neat little town.

And the Anchor Bar is overrated for wings. Duff’s is decent and is right on your way to the falls.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

Ithaca, sweet hidden gem, used to have some cool funky culture too...
Letchworth State park would of made another nice stop along the way...
Concur, Anchors ok, Duffs is better, but Mammosers is the shit!
Even most of the locals don’t know about it!

Unfortunate Canada’s still locked down, the falls are much nicer on the Canadaland side...
Albright Knox Art gallery is nice if your into that and there’s a nice lake/park there to go for a walk or sit and eat lunch. Historical museum and the Zoo are nearby...
City hall and Frank Loyd Wright house if your into architecture, Chippewa Street is a whole street of clubs/bars etc, Naval Park and the waterfront, especially if they have concerts on Thursday nights..

Safe Travels!

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Was just there again for our annual summer bike-beach trip over the 4th. If you were in a deadhead bar in Edgartown theres a good chance it was the Sea Shanty. There's a massive framed MV-themed stealie on the stairs heading to roofdeck, always warms my heart to see it still there even after all the years...even if it is missing its nose holes. No nose you say? How does it smell?! Like the ocean. And with the mention of Letchworth y'all seem to following me around this summer. Birds of a feather indeed. Hope everyone is finding some comfort and repose during this summer of insanity. Highly recommend the new King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard album, Butterfly 3000. Every single album they put out is unique but uniquely their own...HIGHLY recommend for heads into neo-psychedelia and incredible musicianship. To some it can be a tough listen at first but you WILL be rewarded deeply for exploring multiple offerings of theirs.. Also go see Khruangbin at Newport Jazz, they are one of the BEST new bands the last decade.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

..but I think I will pass on taking my boat off Niagara Falls. (one side note, there is a rapid called Little Niagara on the river I live on, so I'll get my Niagara fix today). Cool story, I am a big venue enthusiast.. my next trip to Europe I plan on visiting some new venues.. a lot of us seem to have a venue fascination and it's great how you can turn almost any road trip into a GD themed adventure.

One other parting note, we need a new release..

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

A show from Frost or Ventura, I think they are saving up for a Greek box.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Sounds good to me, Billy. Ventura may be more likely, since the Frost shows were broadcast live on the Stanford radio station each year. I'm ready for that Greek box, like you I attended every one.

For a while I've been digging into 1970 Dead, enjoying the unique psychedelic guitar work of Jerry on Dancing', Good Love, Hard to Handle, Man's World, Lovelight, Masons children.

TTATS 1970
Dave's 6
Dave's 19
and of course the radio broadcast that got me into the Dead, released decades later as Dick's 8. 5/2/70 Harpur College. Boy in 1972 I was cranking that radio broadcast! I was fortunate enough to have my friend's older brother had recorded it off the radio. And off I went on the bus, later in August 1972 at the Berkeley Community Theater, never to be the same again!

Good stuff. I really like 1970 Dead.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Gabriel's Gate also has some fine wings. Right near Chippewa Street, which Oro already correctly pointed out as being awesome.

Edit: Also, don’t forget to try a Beef on a Weck.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

Pretty sweet Nitecat to get your start at the Berkeley Community Center in August 1972. Those are shows are high on my list. Glad you made it through all these years.

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

Nitecat, the 1970 show in TTATS, is my favorite show in the whole box.

King Crimson Court on CD which I bought at Harvest Records in Salem
6 22 86 disc 2
Zappa Guitar tracks from disc 2
Motorhead Iron Fist
12 11 72 disc 2 :)))))))))))))))))))))))
6 22 86 disc 3

Tasty

....yummy. But not now. Stupid vguy made chicken last night and didn't check the expiration date. Got my son and I both sick today.
Not covid, but damn. Food sounds gross right now.
Just plopped in Dave's Jai-Alai Fronton. More digestible lol.
Iron Maiden just put out a new track. The Writing On The Wall. They continue to age like a fine wine.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Oh, sweet mama.. VGuy's got them old chicken blues...

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

I checked that out from 10/12/68. That scratchy thing Mickey plays is extremely loud and annoying. Gets in the way of some premier liquid Garcia. I am a big fan of the primal Dead late 60s two drummer make up of the band during the big jams, when Bill and Mickey were in sync and nailing it, but sometimes like this Mickey should have just sat on his hands. Didn't miss that scratchy thing or gongs after he left. He could be a little much at times.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Schwabl’s....Period!!
Since 1837

For more, check out Buffalo Stories: Schwabl’s Restaurant (since the world would end if we posted you know what’s)

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

No, not the GD!
The Another Timbre label are putting out a 4 CD box of pieces by John Cage in August, so that gives me something to look forward to. Not long to #39 being released.
Edit: Has Vguy come up with another definition of chickenshit?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 9 months

I enjoy going over to Bobby Weir's Sweetwater in Mill Valley periodically for lunch or dinner and a show on occasion, but have been on hiatus from there since the mean ol' pandemic struck.

Sounds like they've brought in a new chef with a pretty good pedigree, even though the food was quite good before as well. Looking forward to getting back on track there with the new menu, and shows starting up again in September:

Information from an article on the sfchronicle website on July 20, titled "Marin's popular Sweetwater Music Hall is leaning into food with a cozy new restaurant".

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

Hey all,

There looks like a stand alone release for GD 12/10/71 3cds or Vinyl. I already ordered on Amazon

Edit: if this turns out to be part of a bigger boxset, I’ll cancel my order. That’s the beauty of Amazon

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

Thanks for the heads up, adedhead68, this looks really cool, let's hope it's part.of a bigger #1971 box set.

...has been reissued at Real Gone Music and available for preorder for anyone who may have missed out on this monster gem.

Sixtus

Hasn’t got to Amazon in the UK yet. Didn’t show up on the US site when I searched for Grateful Dead CD but found it looking in all departments searching Grateful Dead. It’s due out on 1st October. Let’s hope there’s more to come

Edit Three attempts before the above would post I had to remove the final full stop and add a couple of blank lines at the end

Edit2 Had to remove a colon after Edit to post the edit

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Yeah, I order cd & vinyl. Copy I have from archive sounds very good, but?!?!

Here's hoping for a larger more complete box and yes, easy to cancel from bezos (he's back from space)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 1 month

Awesome standalone release, but I'd personally prefer a multi-year Fox box over a Fall '71 set. Between Dave's 22 and 26 (plus bonus discs) and the Road Trips Austin release, we already have a good bit of music from this era, which isn't all that high on variety in setlist or in playing.

More new music is always a joy regardless, but the '71 set just wouldn't be my first pick.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Any clues, gents? Checked Amazon, Googled it, etc.

This is very nearly proto-Euro '72, in a sense.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Did not see that coming. Interesting.

Yeah. That’s our box I believe. Bezos leaked from space.

I found it on the US Amazon site by searching for Grateful Dead and then filtering for Release Date
Good luck

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 6 months

The 12/10/71 show might be a 'break out' release from a Fall '71 box? The artwork looks pretty legit (similar to June '76 box). Odd choice for a box since they released plenty from this period already (RT 3.2, DaP 22,26) Anyway, looking forward to it!

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

My guess was a combo of lineups from 71 for a box, but it could be a multi-year fox box . This is a good show someone recently recommended I think it was Keithfan. And it comes up easily looking under Grateful Dead Fox on Amazon. Thanks for the tip adedhead68.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Yo! Rockers!!!

If I read their 12/10/71 playlists correctly, the second set closing NFA suite and OMSN are not included. It's definitely in the vault, it has been played at deadnet (2016 Tapers Section). This makes me suspicious that it's an official "official" release. A complete version would make an excellent release, but a lot of 71s have come out recently.

I remain skeptical until confirmed by TPTB. Remember, in the past there was an "official" Fall/Winter 71 FM box set, that turned out to be bootleg.

Doc
The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge......

On the amazon page for this preorder it says the manufacturer/label is 'Grateful Dead Production';
Shouldn't there be an 's' on the end of that? i.e. 'Grateful Dead Productions'?

Makes me think it is supposed to look like the real deal, but may not be.
Further sleuthing required.

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

A copy of the CD apparently was sold on e-b-a-y two days ago.

This from
music tap-dot-kom

On October 1, Grateful Dead Productions via Warner Bros Music will release a new live set, this one from a show at the Fox Theater in St. Louis on December 10, 1971. The show is amply available on bootlegs the internet over, but this release is a nicely packaged set that will be issued on 3CD and 5LP sets. The tapes for this issue has been worked on via Plangent Processes, a process that adds life to projects and has been used on studio releases including Springsteen’s Darkness On The Edge Of Town remaster.

The 5LP package will be pressed onto 180g-weight vinyl.

Fox Theater – St. Louis, MO 12/10/71 – Grateful Dead

01 Bertha
02 Me & My Uncle
03 Mr. Charlie
04 Loser
05 Beat It On Down The Line
06 Sugaree
07 Jack Straw
08 Next Time You See Me
09 Tennessee Jed
10 El Paso
11 Big Railroad Blues
12 Casey Jones
13 Good Lovin’
14 Tuning
15 Brokedown Palace
16 Playing In The Band
17 Run Rudolph Run
18 Deal
19 Sugar Magnolia
20 Comes A Time
21 Truckin’
22 Drums
23 The Other One
24 Sittin’ On Top Of The World
25 The Other One

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

The one sold on e-b-a-y two days ago was an FM recording.

Whoever bought that is going to be bummed if an official copy really does get released.

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

I only see it as a pre-order which isn't charged til shipping on release date. So if this is bootleggers they are being very patient by offering up pre-orders with no collection of funds. Doesn't seem like the business model of someone trying to turn a quick buck on vinyl sets of released shows. Never seen a bootlegger offer up a set as non-charged fully refundable product but maybe thats their grift. I pre-orderered one but will probably cancel it before shipping once the official announcement comes out if its for real.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

I’m kinda concerned about the lack of an (s) on Grateful Dead Production, but FWIW, on Amazon, disc 3 lists the NFA suite and OMSN

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-38.html