• 1,069 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    18,000 happy Dead Heads could not be wrong. Deer Creek, my how you deliver.

We're closing the books on DAVE'S PICKS 2021 with not one but two - nearly - complete shows from Noblesville, IN 7/18/90 & 7/19/90. Yes, we've packed it all on four CDs, save for that second night encore which we promise you'll get to hear in the very near future. Sometimes there really is just too much good stuff.

For now, we'll invite you to cozy up with two exceptional back-to-back shows, shows with precision and clarity, shows with more than a lion's share of exploratory jams, and most importantly, shows that were simply a damn good time for all. Highlights from night one include the bookends of a spectacular "Help>Slip!>Franklin's" and an epically intricate "Morning Dew" followed by a classic cover of "The Weight." Night two, is the sleeper hit, with flawless playing from start to finish, the set list inviting you to find new favorites in top-notch renditions of "Foolish Heart" or "Victim Or The Crime," and if that's not one of the finest versions of "Desolation Row" Bobby ever did do! We would be remiss if we didn't mention that these shows were among Brent's last and they are some of his finest of the era at that.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL. 40: DEER CREEK MUSIC CENTER, NOBLESVILLE, IN 7/18 & 19/90 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Oroborous

: )

• Vguy72

• proudfoot

Jim is right

PRIMAL GD, please.

• JimInMD

Agree. We are long overdue for pre-70's GD.

In addition to us.. the tapes are not getting any younger either. Remember that Universal Music Group fire a decade or so ago when all those master tapes went up in flames?

Release some primal dead Lemieux...

• dmcvt

no coincidence, must be synchronicity... had a Viola Lee Blues day yesterday, best up against each other... great examples of early jam, vocals, tempo, you name it. Raw, primal, enough to convince me, this is why we might not see release of much more 60s material, younger generations can't handle it. OK, would accept a 9-10 disc 60s box set sorted by early venues with photos, short history of these early treasures. Start with anything remaining from the Acid Tests. What the heck, River box had warts, we can take a few warts. Never be another '60s DaP. Please release from the vault what you have before we old folks (maybe the best audience and customers), literally become Grateful Deaf or Dead. Road Trips 2.2 complete has two VLB, the bonus disc version at 22:46 opens such a great run of era music... Dead heat with TTATS 1967 Shrine VLB... further research advised.

• JimInMD

Sacred ground. The Mount Rainier of Primal Dead Shows.

• Sixtus_

Indeed, 2/14/68 is the show from which they pull that foray into 'There is Mountain' from the raging Alligator that ends up spliced together on Anthem of the Sun. As we know this full show was a road trips release, which incidentally was recently re-released on CD last year and I picked up a copy just so I had an extra. It's all that good.

Sixtus

• proudfoot

First there is a mountain

• icecrmcnkd

Watched the DVD this past weekend and they say what live shows were used for Anthem.
    I don’t remember what shows they were by this point, so you will have to watch for yourself.

• dmcvt

It's up for scrutiny, Dave's seaside starting with ADD observations, eagles and crows off camera... and no, I don't mind, I love birds too. Baltimore CC is special, my first live Dead, spring 1973 (Wolfman) with photos, since I carried a camera in. Saw Jimi there, Jefferson Airplane too while still in high school. High hopes for this one, all signs point to great sound because of excellent source material and possible top five o.a.t. versions of a couple favorites (NFA). Been avoiding 1977, cause yeah, so much greatness is already out there... right now, no one has posted any comments yet... who's on first? This one should sell out quickly. And here's your missing #40 DC US Blues.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

2 years 11 months

18,000 happy Dead Heads could not be wrong. Deer Creek, my how you deliver.

We're closing the books on DAVE'S PICKS 2021 with not one but two - nearly - complete shows from Noblesville, IN 7/18/90 & 7/19/90. Yes, we've packed it all on four CDs, save for that second night encore which we promise you'll get to hear in the very near future. Sometimes there really is just too much good stuff.

For now, we'll invite you to cozy up with two exceptional back-to-back shows, shows with precision and clarity, shows with more than a lion's share of exploratory jams, and most importantly, shows that were simply a damn good time for all. Highlights from night one include the bookends of a spectacular "Help>Slip!>Franklin's" and an epically intricate "Morning Dew" followed by a classic cover of "The Weight." Night two, is the sleeper hit, with flawless playing from start to finish, the set list inviting you to find new favorites in top-notch renditions of "Foolish Heart" or "Victim Or The Crime," and if that's not one of the finest versions of "Desolation Row" Bobby ever did do! We would be remiss if we didn't mention that these shows were among Brent's last and they are some of his finest of the era at that.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL. 40: DEER CREEK MUSIC CENTER, NOBLESVILLE, IN 7/18 & 19/90 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

I will always remember this as the release where Dave got his first remote control. I suspect he is playing with it at this very moment.. hey look.. when I press this button the little red light on the recorder across the room comes on. Is this thing recording? Great Scott!! it is recording! This button records in slow motion, I can make my own 6 million dollar man videos. Look, Squirrel.. This thing is great.. hey mom, check this ooote, I taught it to turn the TV on and off. (note to self, delete the video of the squirrel and mom before I send it to Pinkus).

Wow.. I don't have to clap to turn the lights on and off anymore.

Looking forward to this, especially the Desolation Row.. I guess I have a soft spot for this song, how did Bobby remember the words for this time after time but Truckin', forget about it...

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

thanks to this site, the folks at Rhino, the bolos and bozos at Deadnet, all you freaky people out there and least but most important, the band. This site might be the last place in the world for happy vibes and great life altering music. I love the grateful dead.
These latest releases have really got me high. Can it get any better than this? The ST. Louis box and this Dave's 40 is really hitting the GD spot, thanks to all who participate in this never ending constantly evolving music that is the Grateful Dead.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

These shows are a welcome surprise to me, and a needed one. After the monster box set we just got, it is great that we are going to the 90s with Brent. I like that my future listening will be comprised of great shows from the 70's abd then the 90's, merely for the change up. The vault still has a lot to offer, and Dave and company keep giving it to us.

Now I say great shows because in regards to the 7/18 & 7/19 I have not heard them. However, I will take everyone's word that these shows are great. It also nice to see that many heads that have commented here and elsewhere where at these shows. I think it is safe to say the 89-91 time period was a sweet spot for the band and these shows fall in the middle of it, even if these shows are part the end of an era with Brent. I only wish I was on the bus a few years earlier so I could have seen the band then.

Also any time we get 2 complete shows for one Dave's Pick, that is always great. The more Grateful Dead that is released, the better. I think initially that was never in the plans, but it seems like they took the great responses to double 87 show release and applied it. Maybe this will open the door to a double summer of 85 show Dave's Pick. That would be cool too.

I am really looking forward to hearing these Deer Creek shows.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Gratefulhan

It should just be made available as a download.
It can’t be filler next year on a release if the release is not a Brent show. I like Brent but don’t want a DaP that ends with 20 minutes of Pigpen grease then goes into a 90’s Useless Blues.
Just saying. It would be a jolt.

I’m looking forward to these, I got 7-19 on cassette in the summer of 92 and it was one of my better sounding cassettes at the time. Played it so much back then that I rarely play the digital copy I currently have.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

That's exactly what I thought.. make it a download and call it a day. Perhaps it's cheaper to just toss it at the end of a CD than setup a webserver to make a download available.., but I'm with you cone kid.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Would be another great twofer. Better yet a West Coast 90 box that also includes Carson, Cal Expo, and the other two Shoreline shows. The bridge between the legendary Spring 90 and Summer 90. Every one of those are top notch.

A non butchered RFK 90 would be nice. Why they used that for filler on the RFK 91 release instead of getting it's own release, for perhaps the biggest show of summer 90 was an odd decision. The same for 9/20/90. The first sets from those shows are amazing.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

In reply to by JimInMD

Considering they were a blues band for the 1st part of their existence I’ll take useless blues all day long

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

My bet is he'll include it as part of 30 Days. He couldn't say so outright as that would be too much of a Dead giveaway.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

Sometimes encores only make sense in the context of the show in which they are played in. If this is such a one, and I suspect it is, maybe it would be better left alone. Better if it could have been included in the release of the recording of the show -but as it can't-no great loss.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

I generally agree with that, but being it as it may that we are now in the digital era, one could simply insert the encore into their DaP 40 folder for 7-19-90 and the context is thusly restored... :-)

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Somewhere along the line Dave mentioned that if it's a good show, and the tapes are in shape, the show will be released. So I knew it was just a matter of time for July 18 to come down the pipe. And Voilà! Here we go..... And wouldn't you know, this past summer while at Deer Creek seeing Phish, I found myself talking to a head about what a great venue Deer Creek is-- when you are seeing a show there, you know there is no other place on this earth you would rather be. Which is great, great feeling. We were also both in agreement that the first night of the run was a 'grateful dead' show. Truly. 7/18/90 specifically came to mind.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

I never made it to Deer Creek, but it looks like I'll be going back in time at least in the space between my ears. And I'm all for it. After another 70's box (man am I loving this one!), a shift to the 90's is totally in order. Something for the folks who prefer later-era Dead having only had those experiences, and something for those of us like myself who enjoy all the eras.

I love this series. Whenever I think the annual subscription or box set announcements are coming, I check the site multiple times a day so I can immediately place the order, and relax, knowing I won't be missing out or paying overinflated reseller prices (Ticketbastard, anyone?) for some of the best music in the world.

\m/

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 10 months

This entire tour was great. It seemed like the Dead were really hitting their stride when tragedy struck. I thought this tour should have been the boxed set over the Spring. It's nice to see a couple of these shows finally see the light of day.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

Anyone else think that when I ask for certain shows and complain about others, my brothers and sisters three states away are loving those shows I am complaining about??
I’m sorry, but we Heads are so blessed, it seems we lose all perspective at times. There are a small handful of Dave’s that I wasn’t pleased with and don’t play anymore, but I just set those aside and play the ones I do enjoy.
Also, I agree with almost everyone that it is a real kick to have a show that I attended be released. I’ve had this happen with other bands, but not the Dead(yet).
I look forward to receiving this one, with the knowledge that if I don’t love it, I don’t have to play it a second time. There’s too much music out there for me to waste time complaining about the tiny fraction I’m not in love with.
It’s like the girl you dated once, and decided that was enough, time to date someone else.

Rant officially over. Peace and love to all.
Thanks Dave!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

This one (7/18) happens to be my sister's 15th birthday show. Not a raving dead head like we though...

P.S. edit... The shows the GD played on my birthday (that there are tapes of) are 1970, 1978, 1986, 1992 and 1993. Can anyone guess the day? A little brain teaser for y'all on a Sunday... :-)

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

Yes, Mr. Ones. Totally.. Great point.

I'd hardly call that a rant, the comment was noticeably polite.

user picture

Member for

2 years 8 months

The Grateful Dead played 5x on my birthday: 12/15/71, 12/15/72, 12/15/78, 12/15/86, and 12/15/94. I went to the show on 12/15/86, it was Garcia's first show back , the Dead played great and the place was rockin!

I can indeed say it is a thrill to have a show you attended released. I was lucky enough to be seeing shows from what some (most) call the last peak era of dead (1989-90) and so, I have had numerous shows I was at released in some form (video, CD, etc). Giants '89, Alpine '89, my Spring '90 stops (Hartford, Copps, Atlanta), Pittsburgh '90 (with some KY added), Copps '92, and now these from Deer Creek. Very cool. If you count Meet Up at the movies, a couple more (more Alpine '89 and Foxboro '89).

Was also fortunate enough to see the Dead on my birthday, which I share with Pig (9/7 and 9/8 in Richfield) for my 21st. No better way to turn 21. Also got the 9/8/73 release this year. To my knowledge, Dead on my birthday: '67, '69 (OK, 9/7, but they had to go after midnight, yes?), '73 (released this year), '83 (Red Rocks), '85 (OK, 9/7 but maybe after midnight?, Red Rocks again), '87 (9/7, 9/8, 9/9 Providence), '88 (Spectrum), '90 (Finally able to go), '91 (MSG), and '93. Possibly In Room in '65. Again, fortunate. Wasn't really able to road trip for most of them as school was in.

MR Ones: glad you received your box, good comment, interpreted no rant.
It’s like someone? Billy? said once about playing certain songs: if even one person didn’t want to play it they wouldn’t. Figured there were so many songs they actually wanted to play, why bother otherwise.
I love everything they’ve given us, but I do feel sometimes Dave picks the right neighborhood and street, but goes to the wrong house…

BDAY SHOW: 11/9/79 only one : (

ENCORES;US Bloooozzzzeee. Sure it’s nice to get complete shows, but we have soooooo much music out now that I don’t mind occasionally missing a song or 2.
LOL, except for perhaps messing with the flow, I wouldn’t miss a Me and My Uncle now and again ; )
Perhaps he has plans next year for another late 80 or 90 show to tack that onto, and not just wherever there’s space for it?
I rip the discs then store them, so I wouldn’t mind it showing up randomly though. Dead air is Dead air, I’ll take all the music he wants to give us! Loving the twofer again to end the year. Hopefully we’ll see more!

The Creek. Never made it. From tour scuttle, didn’t seem like head friendly place to be?
BITD, that I 90 drive through Ohio, Indiana and Illinois could be pretty scary. Ohio State patrol would pull ya for going 1 or 2 over the limit, and that was in the 55 days. Excruciating for a young Cassady wanna be lol.
Nassau always seemed to be referred to as the unfriendliest head scene, what with the po po basically trolling to Fill the dungeons they built below, probably just for heads!

I liked summer 90, but it felt like they had peaked in the fall 89 and spring 90, and though summer was a great tour, it felt like something was a tad different? But tge band was definitely at a high water mark and it’s interesting to think what might of been if ole Brentski hadn’t checked out?

EDIT: what about 7/12/90? That puppy needs to see the light of day fo sho!

DBL EDIT: after perusing summer 90 shows, perhaps my above thought was influenced more by “history” and some limited notion, than reality, cause there were some shows! So if these truly are the best of the tour, that’s saying something!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Everyone loves to get shows they were at!
To me it adds a level of excitement knowing you were there, even if you can’t remember LOL

- 11/9/79 p/o (part of)
- 9/2/80 p/o
- 4/15/83 (2 songs/bonus material)
- 10/14/83
- 7/4/86 (Farm Aid etc)
- 3/26&27/87
- 7/4/87? (D&D?)
- 3/27/88
- 7/2/88
- 4/2&3/89
- 7/4/89
- 7/17/89
- 10/8&9/89
- 3/20&21/90
- 3/24, 25, 26/90
- 6/16/90
- 6/20/91 and 6/19/91 p/o
- 3/20/92
- 6/23/92 (1 song)
- 7/9/95 (1 song)
With 7/16/90 Shakedown stream, and bits of 6/9/91…

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

....may the four winds blow him safely home.
The only officially released Dead show I attended is View From The Vault 1. Anaheim.
There are a few Phish ones.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

My fathers birthday was 12/15 (1929). This vein of the family seems to like the 15th. I'm 1/15,,, my son is 6/15 and Dad was 12/15.

It's a nice middle of the month date.

Anyone ever had shingles or shingles vax?

I juuuust now got the first shingles vax.

Youch!

I understand shingles is to be avoided

Dad hadem
Brother hadem
I dont wantem

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Ain't ya gonna listen to it again? I always wondered that.

Anyway, be well all. :-)

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Let me see..

10-9-76
12-29-77
12-31-77( bonus disc closing of Winterland)
10-21-78
12-31-78
12-26-79
12-28-79
12-30-79(Road Trips bonus)
10-9-80

JGB: Bay Area '78

I think that's it; can't think of any other post 1980 Bay Area release. Until they release Greek '81 or Frost '82.

43 years ago tonight: 1st "From Egypt with Love" show - great run!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Ok, color me a lil jealous... Holy cow. Wow! Them's are some good shows to hit...

Any photos. Memories?

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

After finally going through both Spring '90 boxes in order this spring, I started wondering what other treasures lurked in 1990, so just a few weeks back I finally cued up 7/16/90, which always appears near the top of the "favorites" lists . . .

That show kills it, so these two shows, which immediately follow that one, should rock hard!

And yes, Hit, I wonder if Summer '90 isn't a titch better than the spring tour . . .

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

No photos - only memories, mostly music related.
12/29/77: loudest cheer I've heard when they broke out China Cat, even louder than the Dark Star the following year. Dance floor was literally bouncing, and plaster was coming off the walls.
12/31/78: longest show ever, got there around 6 right for Animal House showing. Left around 8 the next morning, our car was one of three left in Winterland's "parking lot", if you can call it that. I had found street parking nearby earlier, but was heavily "discouraged" by a local resident
10/21/78: loudest Jerry ever for the wind up at the end of The Other One, and the following beautiful Stella Blue.
Nothing else stands out except the shows themselves; we were local, so getting to and from the shows was uneventful, which was fine by me.

user picture

Member for

2 years 8 months

I hope that they remaster and re release some of the Dick's Picks: 2/13 & 14/70, 5/2/70, the 1968 Lake Tahoe shows, and others. I would much rather have these put out as complete shows, cleaned up and remastered, then any shows from the 1980s or 1990s.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Turned on the oldies station to give my wife her fair share of audio time and the first song up was Elvis' Suspicious Minds with Donna and the rest of the Muscle Shoals crew really belting it out on background vocals. She is easily picked out as the loudest (on key!) and most distinctive background singer on this and I think some other Elvis tunes as well. Next song, Hair. With the reference: it's not for lack of bread... like the Grateful Dead. We are, and were, everywhere. Cheers

Proudfoot- a no brainer to do the Shingrix. We got ours in January with zero side effects. The wife had done the previous one a few years ago and was told the Shingrix is much more efficacious and long lasting which apparently the first one was not. Smart move.

Unbelievable list of released shows Cousins.. I can only imagine there are a few you have seen that were not released that were equally amazing, thinking especially some of the small venue JGB shows. Still, some of these are legendary.

BTK, could not agree more. I would love to see some of them remastered too, as I think they have gotten better at that.

Were we talking birthday shows on this thread too?? I get them confused. Got to see one show on my birthday (a Hampton) and missed one by that much (Morgantown, saw the night before).. why I didn't take the drive the next day I still cannot figure out.

I think I have seen four (?) shows that have been released. I had some great, up close pictures, but they disappeared during my last move. So great memories and in a way I came of age seeing the GD. Learning how to negotiation my life and still see shows, I certainly learned how to read a road map and drive across the country, a skill that is lost in the younger generation.. how to fend for myself when the vehicle broke down in the strangest of places under the strangest of circumstances.. made some great friends and had a great time.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

In reply to by billy the kidd

I agree that I'd love to have some of the "partial" releases released in full. A lot of the early Dick's were not full shows. 2/13-14/70 would be sweet. But those 2 (plus 2/11) seems like a box set rather than a Dave's. Too many discs. I guess you could do them one at a time, but most of the show is already out (Dick's #4 + Bear's Choice). Still, I am with you, there is a lot of territory that I'd like to see released in full that has only been partially released (2/13-14/70, 10/16-20/74, 4/25-29/71, 7/17-19/89, 6/26&28/74, Dick's #3, etc). Again, some of that is more box set than a single release. And for some, most of the show has already been released, so a Box would allow more new stuff in there.

FWIW, those King's Beach shows on Dick's #22 are the full shows. Both nights. 5/2/70 is pretty darn close. I can recall something about 1 song the tape was unusable (Cold Rain). Other than the cut at the beginning of St. Stephen, everything else is there.

Dave has been throwing more filler on his releases lately. Usually some from a night at the same venue or some such. But I wouldn't mind using filler to "complete" some previous releases. He said he was going to do that with the US Blues encore from the 2nd night Deer Creek. Finish up 5/22/77!

As for 2/13 & 2/14. both 2nd sets appear in full on Dick's #4 save for the 2/13 Bid You Goodnight. The only song from either early show that has been released in the Dark Star from 2/14 (LST). A tad less than half of the acoustic sets is on Bear's Choice. A little of the short Electric 1st sets on either Bear's or DiP#4.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

Went to the Atlanta Dead Co show. No encore that night and people bitched. There was an encore planned that was blacked out on the official set list. Setlist.fm suggests that it was to be US Blues - maybe so maybe not - but either way so what?! We got an 18.5 minute Shakedown, a 15 minute Let it Grow, 10 minute Deal, a 20 minute Playin in the Band (including the reprise) and a 28.5 minute China>Rider. I'll take the extra helping of jam over a US Blues encore any day! I will apply that logic to this release as well!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

My only b-day show was my 21st at Riverport - 7/27/94. My (now) wife and I celebrated her 21st the year before at Deer Creek - 6/23/93. She got the better show (Terrapin>D/S>Dark Star>Wheel with Jerry out for all of D/S as I recall!). Funny thing though, no one asked to see our IDs when we ordered drinks anyway.

My buddy has been couch touring and raved about this show.

He sent me a copy this morning and I plan on listening tonight at the store.

I agree with you, I'd take a 20 minute playing over a us blues :-)

FYI - the Joni Mitchell vinyl lp's pushed back from 10/31 to 2/15,,,, quite a pushback.

user picture

Member for

13 years 2 months

the only time i saw them on my bday was the hampton 86 box of rain break out, that was pretty cool, i was a little tired and chillin' high up in coliseum cuz i had had a big night there on 3/19

Cold Rain was on the vinyl edition of 5/2/70 that came out a few years ago. If you haven't heard it, you have missed nothing. I think it was deliberately left off the Dicks Picks cd because it was so out of tune. They did things like that in the early days of Dicks Picks

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Cousins, you did most of the research for me, with your list, as I was at those shows, also. I would add:

8/25/72
10/16-20/74
10/10/76
6/7-9/77
10/21-22/78
10/10/80

Never fortunate to experience a birthday show.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Perfect opportunity and place to thank you for making me a copy of 12/10/71 back in...1980, I believe. It was my favorite GD show then, and still is now. Thanks Scott for this one, and other shows you kindly shared with me!

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

50 years ago today…..

October 19, 1971
Northrop Auditorium, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota

Set 1: Bertha-Me And My Uncle-Sugaree-Beat It On Down The Line-Cumberland Blues-Tennessee Jed-Black Peter-Jack Straw-Big Railroad Blues-Brown-Eyed Women-Mexicali Blues-Comes A Time-Playing In The Band-One More Saturday Night-Casey Jones

Set 2: Truckin'-Ramble On Rose-Me And Bobby McGee-Brokedown Palace-Cryptical Envelopment>drums>The Other One>Cryptical Envelopment reprise>Wharf Rat-Sugar Magnolia-Uncle John's Band-Not Fade Away>Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad>Not Fade Away

Deadicated to jiminMD, dantian, kayakguy, spacebrother, icecrmckd, Sixtus, Jack Baller, Billythekid, alvarhanso, and angry jack straw, because change……….

The second great seismic shift of 1971. The Yang to the Yin of February 18. Similar, yet different. Old, yet new. A vision of the new era. Change can be for good if you combine audacity with safety………

An old friend missing, a new guy who seems to fit in right away. Six new songs. The return of the complete CE/TOO/CE suite. The unusual occurrence of back-to-back Garcia songs twice in the first set. The first of the Fall 1971 FM broadcasts. One of only two 1971 shows that featured both Black Peter and Brokedown Palace. There ain’t no grease, but there’s plenty of Bakersfield left, as well as big jams.

Not without its rough edges, yet somehow it hangs together oh so well. Absolutely historic and worthy of a serious listen……

Rock on!!

Doc
He who rejects change is the architect of decay, the only human institution which rejects progress is the cemetery………

attended
6/8
6/9 (Cassidy...:))))
6/10
6/23 (the tether show)
6/24

I bet I'll like this release

even though anything after 86 I tend to relegate to "I'll listen someday".

I tried spring 90 bootlegs and just couldn't get into it.

"but I try"

"trip or trip not
there is no try"

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Real Gone Music is having its annual CD sale with several Dick's Picks and Road Trips discounted.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

In reply to by Cousins Of The…

My pleasure, Pierre. I'll have to dig that one out and give it a listen.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

. . . for $17,640.00 . Per Relix Daily: 'Grateful Dead T-Shirt from 1967 Sells for a Record $17,640 at Auction'. Previous record was a Led Zeppelin tee from Knebworth '79 that sold on eBay for 10K

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by JeffSmith

...and can you believe it? It's sized too small.

I'm having one of those days.. Deep breath.

Crap, now I spilled coffee on it.

Proves there are just too many people with too much time on their hands.

Edit: No really, it's not me.. it's sized too small.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

5/26/77

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

You beat me to it Nitecat. Went to the Real Gone sale to fill in some gaps in my Road Trips collection and only came away with the 6-8-76. Even at sale pricing it was hard to justify paying that much for things I already have on burned copies. But couldn't resist a $6 Willie Nelson and $13 Booker-T & the MG's. It's not so much the CDs that will cost me but the additional furniture to hold them. Most of my GD is currently spread out in three different places including bottom cabinets that make it difficult to read what's there. Honey, can I buy another CD cabinet? Why do you need that? Well there's a lot of Dave's yet to come and I want to be ready. Yeah, that might work! Maybe.
Cheers all

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-40.html