• 1,069 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    18,000 happy Dead Heads could not be wrong. Deer Creek, my how you deliver.

We're closing the books on DAVE'S PICKS 2021 with not one but two - nearly - complete shows from Noblesville, IN 7/18/90 & 7/19/90. Yes, we've packed it all on four CDs, save for that second night encore which we promise you'll get to hear in the very near future. Sometimes there really is just too much good stuff.

For now, we'll invite you to cozy up with two exceptional back-to-back shows, shows with precision and clarity, shows with more than a lion's share of exploratory jams, and most importantly, shows that were simply a damn good time for all. Highlights from night one include the bookends of a spectacular "Help>Slip!>Franklin's" and an epically intricate "Morning Dew" followed by a classic cover of "The Weight." Night two, is the sleeper hit, with flawless playing from start to finish, the set list inviting you to find new favorites in top-notch renditions of "Foolish Heart" or "Victim Or The Crime," and if that's not one of the finest versions of "Desolation Row" Bobby ever did do! We would be remiss if we didn't mention that these shows were among Brent's last and they are some of his finest of the era at that.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL. 40: DEER CREEK MUSIC CENTER, NOBLESVILLE, IN 7/18 & 19/90 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Oroborous

: )

• Vguy72

• proudfoot

Jim is right

PRIMAL GD, please.

• JimInMD

Agree. We are long overdue for pre-70's GD.

In addition to us.. the tapes are not getting any younger either. Remember that Universal Music Group fire a decade or so ago when all those master tapes went up in flames?

Release some primal dead Lemieux...

• dmcvt

no coincidence, must be synchronicity... had a Viola Lee Blues day yesterday, best up against each other... great examples of early jam, vocals, tempo, you name it. Raw, primal, enough to convince me, this is why we might not see release of much more 60s material, younger generations can't handle it. OK, would accept a 9-10 disc 60s box set sorted by early venues with photos, short history of these early treasures. Start with anything remaining from the Acid Tests. What the heck, River box had warts, we can take a few warts. Never be another '60s DaP. Please release from the vault what you have before we old folks (maybe the best audience and customers), literally become Grateful Deaf or Dead. Road Trips 2.2 complete has two VLB, the bonus disc version at 22:46 opens such a great run of era music... Dead heat with TTATS 1967 Shrine VLB... further research advised.

• JimInMD

Sacred ground. The Mount Rainier of Primal Dead Shows.

• Sixtus_

Indeed, 2/14/68 is the show from which they pull that foray into 'There is Mountain' from the raging Alligator that ends up spliced together on Anthem of the Sun. As we know this full show was a road trips release, which incidentally was recently re-released on CD last year and I picked up a copy just so I had an extra. It's all that good.

Sixtus

• proudfoot

First there is a mountain

• icecrmcnkd

Watched the DVD this past weekend and they say what live shows were used for Anthem.
    I don’t remember what shows they were by this point, so you will have to watch for yourself.

• dmcvt

It's up for scrutiny, Dave's seaside starting with ADD observations, eagles and crows off camera... and no, I don't mind, I love birds too. Baltimore CC is special, my first live Dead, spring 1973 (Wolfman) with photos, since I carried a camera in. Saw Jimi there, Jefferson Airplane too while still in high school. High hopes for this one, all signs point to great sound because of excellent source material and possible top five o.a.t. versions of a couple favorites (NFA). Been avoiding 1977, cause yeah, so much greatness is already out there... right now, no one has posted any comments yet... who's on first? This one should sell out quickly. And here's your missing #40 DC US Blues.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

2 years 11 months

18,000 happy Dead Heads could not be wrong. Deer Creek, my how you deliver.

We're closing the books on DAVE'S PICKS 2021 with not one but two - nearly - complete shows from Noblesville, IN 7/18/90 & 7/19/90. Yes, we've packed it all on four CDs, save for that second night encore which we promise you'll get to hear in the very near future. Sometimes there really is just too much good stuff.

For now, we'll invite you to cozy up with two exceptional back-to-back shows, shows with precision and clarity, shows with more than a lion's share of exploratory jams, and most importantly, shows that were simply a damn good time for all. Highlights from night one include the bookends of a spectacular "Help>Slip!>Franklin's" and an epically intricate "Morning Dew" followed by a classic cover of "The Weight." Night two, is the sleeper hit, with flawless playing from start to finish, the set list inviting you to find new favorites in top-notch renditions of "Foolish Heart" or "Victim Or The Crime," and if that's not one of the finest versions of "Desolation Row" Bobby ever did do! We would be remiss if we didn't mention that these shows were among Brent's last and they are some of his finest of the era at that.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL. 40: DEER CREEK MUSIC CENTER, NOBLESVILLE, IN 7/18 & 19/90 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 2 months

Bring back Road Trips
At least we might get decent 67-74 releases
Some may like 'mid period stuff'
Not me.
Just my opinion.......

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by docmarty

Don’t say it’s so.
Isn’t the global package transit system working like a Swiss watch?

Tracking said that mine was expected to be delivered today, but it just spent 20 hours sitting at a UPS facility a few hours away.
Maybe tomorrow…..

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Sorry to hear.
Ours passed a mile or so from our house on its first trip by and across the state. It’s probably passing by again in the other direction now, and will, hopefully, eventually cross back this way again for possible arrival on Tuesday.
Not sure how this is more economical, but know that we prefer the version used for the box.
With the box, most boxes?, if your a UPS member for a small fee you can have it routed to your house instead of the post office. So what you might say?
Well, where we don’t get home delivery mail, it means having to get to the PO during business hours, not always easy, with increased close contact crammed into a small lobby. More importantly, it increasing odds of something bad happening.
Still don’t understand how not giving people shipping options is good business as it’s a missed chance for increased revenue? Remember back when you could check a box for different shipping options, usually for a premium?

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by docmarty

There were some great ones.. they certainly grew on me after they were discontinued. I did not like them as much when they were being issued primarily because the discs were prone to being scratched from the rough stock cardboard sleeves and their tight fit.

Road Trips:
7 of the 17 or 41% were between '67 and '74

Dave's Picks:
20 of the 41 or 49% were between '67 and '74

Not sure if going back to this format is going to scratch what itches.. plus going back to the brown paper back packaging isn't something I see them doing. I'd say we made out pretty well with the change.

.... the Carousel Ballroom, Big Rock Pow Wow, Fillmore East and Wall of Sound shows have become full-on classics. Summer/Fall 71 and Fall 73 are outstanding also. I like both series.

If there's something from the Road Trips series that's outstanding it's the bonus discs.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

50 years ago today……

October 30, 1971
Taft Theater, Cincinnati, Ohio

Set 1: Bertha-Me & My Uncle-Sugaree-Beat It On Down The Line-Loser-Playing In The Band-Tennessee Jed-Jack Straw-Big Railroad Blues-Me And Bobby McGee-Brown Eyed Women-One More Saturday Night

Set 2: Casey Jones-Mexicali Blues-Comes A Time-El Paso-Ramble On Rose-Sugar Magnolia-Truckin'-Not Fade Away>Goin' Down The Road Feelin' Bad>Not Fade Away

Deadicated to floridabobaloo, thursday's child, gdhead77, mbarilla, Zuckfun, brokedowndude, wissinomingdeadhead, LoveJerry, jrf68, and wilfredtjones, because 210………

Oh, to be caught between Cleveland and Columbus. Perhaps that’s a cosmic joke, in an Ohio sort of way, but it’s really no laughing matter……

There was some sweet jamming during the Fall & Winter tours of 1971, with Other Ones and Dark Stars becoming more common than in the first half of the year. What to make of the six shows without a “big jam sequence” (10/23, 27, 30; 11/11; 12/2, 7, 9) ?? They range from “somewhat average” to “pretty damn good”.

There was almost always something good played at every 1971 Dead show, but sometimes you have to dig around to find it. This show is no different, so enjoy digging around!

Rock on!!

Doc
The person who can bring the spirit of laughter into a room is indeed blessed…...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 2 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I think the cardboard sleeves were just the first attempt at environmentally friendly packaging, which clearly wasn't consumer friendly. I recently got 'Lost Futures' by Marisa Anderson and William Tyler which, though cardboard, has a paper/plastic inner sleeve to protect the CDs.
In terms of numbers on 2 out of the last 10 Dave's have been 67-74 so law of diminishing returns
I suppose the point i was making was that, given the incomplete nature of many of the earlier recordings, the current 'obsession' with having COMPLETE concerts means that some of the best early stuff will never get released.
Thereagain i would probably be considered a heretic to many here as nearly all the downloads i have (many from back in the day when you could download soundboards from the archive) get edited to to a single disc per concert. I mean don't get me wrong I love MAMU but.....
Maybe some might get released as part of 55th anniversary celebrations
Time for my mid morning nap.....

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Just so happens 10-30-71 was one of my earliest tapes. I gotta tune into that one again sometime. Definitely overshadowed by the next night... :-)

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by docmarty

I liked them. Sometimes I had to use a knife to get the cd out of the cardboard sleeve, it was packed in so tightly. But once out, it never went back in, and none of them got scratched as far as I know.

Maybe there would be some mileage in running another series of releases, to run concurrently with Dave's Picks. One which focusses on some of the great music that was played in the early years, but which comes from shows that are incomplete. It's unfortunate that if all that remains of a particular show is a 20-30 minute jam, then, as things stand, that jam is unlikely to be released-however great it may have been.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Morning, rockers!!!

Interesting posts flying about. Some insightful, some the usual whining about stuff beyond our control..............

As somebody who "grew up" in the cassette trading days, perhaps my standards are lower. I was used to cuts, edits, audience patches, and incomplete shows. Would I prefer complete shows? Perhaps. It depends on the show.........

On the other hand, I have no problem with incomplete shows being officially released. I enjoyed the Road Trips series quite a bit. There's lots of "incomplete" stuff in the vault---especially early 1968---hopefully those things will see the light of day eventually.

Off to the morgue, where Dead meets dead...............

Rock on!!

Doc
Nothing exists except atoms and empty space; everything else is opinion................

They need to release more 1968. As for whole shows.. there's lots of filler in the Dave's Picks series where the whole show has not been released. I don't think I have heard many if any complaints about this.

If there are segments in the vault and the complete show does not exist.. and it's killer.. you can make the argument that this is as complete a show as we are ever going to see. If you sandwiched two or three partials from '68 and put them out as a Dave's Picks, wouldn't that be ok? (notice I did not say no one would complain, that might be bridge too far).

I see 68 as most definitely getting some time with Jeffrey Norman. It's just a matter of time.

Apparently not much.
My DaP 30 has been within a 2-hour drive of my house for almost 3 days and I don’t yet have confirmation that it has been handed off to USPS.
Maybe Sunday?
USPS did in fact deliver my STL Box on a Sunday.
If I get it tomorrow I’ll play it loud while handing out candy.

That series was dropped for a reason.
It wasn’t making a profit.

I doubt that it will be brought back just to satisfy people who constantly complain that Dave doesn’t cater directly to them and their wants.

“Again people , and I can’t emphasize this enough” (that’s from the Simpsons) you can get pretty much everything from the torrents.

The Simpsons quote is from when Marge and Homer have to go to parenting class and ends “the trash goes into the trash can”. Homer then writes on his notepad “trash in trash can”.
I think it’s also the episode where Marge says “yep, all I need is a little LSD……love for my son and daughters”.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Yes.. Rough recording.. but the first New Potato Caboose. Only 27 known performances, would love it if there were like 270 known performances.

Edit: Ok.. I am an idiot and need new reading glasses. 1/27/67 (not 1/24/67) is the first New Potato, 1/24/69 sounds great and is utterly amazing. I am a sucker for New Potato's.. that and Born Cross Eyed.. rare classics.

A little Saturday morning confusion is good for the soul.

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

Finally got my shipping notice. Supposed to arrive Wednesday. I will track the progress daily just to see where and when and how it goes. Because it always seems like they ship these things by hitchhiker: a package will sit in one spot for a day or two, then suddenly appear in another (not necessarily closer town) a few days later, sit there for a while, head off in the wrong direction a few hundred miles, disappear completely for a couple days, then suddenly appear on my porch. Hopefully.

Normally I get kind of impatient. But in this case I will merely watch its travels and travails with bemusement, since I am still knee-deep in 'new' Dead via the StL box. Which continues to delight, btw.

I got a pig in a pen back home, corn to feed him on.

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by nappyrags

was a veritable cornucopia of goodness...last week I went into my "local" used book/music store and realized they had about 20 DP's in a glass case at the front of the store along with about another 20 vol's of Pure Jerry and GarciaLive...I asked a clerk I know when had these come in and he told me that a local area Dr had come in and sold a good chunk of his collection...not wanting to spend any ca$h (they were anywhere from $30 - $60 each) I came home and went through my storage shed and put together about three crates worth of books, DVD's etc and went back yesterday to do a trade-in...they took about 2/3rd's of my stuff and gave me $250 in store credit!!! I grabbed DP Vol 33, Vol 36 & Vol 24 for starters...was also able to snag a few Jazz releases...After getting my selections checked out I thought wow I still have more credit left than I thought I would...this morning looking at the receipt I found out why...the lady who rang me up charged me $3.50 and not $35.00 for one of them...oh well...guess I'll have to get more now...It's a 185 mile round trip into town for me BTW...

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Listened to the 18th this afternoon. At the 9:30 mark during TOO, you can hear Bobby start the first chord or two for Watchtower and Garcia follows. But then, interstingly enough, it sounds like its Bobby that makes the call to instead keep with TOO. Perhaps he realized they were short on stage time? Not surprising then to have it played the following night. Which is part of the fun of having back to back shows. Often working in complimentary tandem.

So another year of two DaP releases being 80s. Good with me! I've enjoyed this year's a whole bunch. Bushels of GD greatness. From Dave's comments, sounds like we'll be getting the Autzen pair at some point.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

4 years 7 months

This is the first release of a 90's show (including boxes) where I feel they haven't buried Jerry in the mix. He usually sounds like he's in a paper bag. Thank you. How's about you keep it up going forward?

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

50 years ago today……………

October 31, 1971
Ohio Theater, Columbus, Ohio

Set 1: Bertha-Me & My Uncle-Deal-Playing In The Band-Loser-El Paso-Tennessee Jed-Jack Straw-Big Railroad Blues-Brown Eyed Women-Mexicali Blues-Casey Jones-Cumberland Blues-One More Saturday Night

Set 2: Dark Star>Sugar Magnolia>St. Stephen>Not Fade Away>Goin’ Down The Road Feelin’ Bad>Not Fade Away

Encore: Johnny B. Goode

Deadicated to Jason Stempin…………

Long before the awakening of thought on earth, manifestations of cosmic energy must have been produced which have no parallel today………

The first set, average while fine, gives no hint of the cosmic energy that would be unleashed in the second set. Previously uncirculated, officially released as the only single-disc Dick’s Picks in March 1995, this exploded like a supernova upon first listening way back when. And it has stood up to repeated listening since then. It is indeed very very fine, one of the best official 1971 releases……

To quote DL himself: “I’m absolutely thrilled. I can’t believe that anyone who hears this is not going to go to outer space, intensely, over and over… This show was like getting hit with a brick in the face, I couldn’t believe it. I put it on again and said ‘Man!’ I must have played it ten times before I could talk… This is as good as it’s ever been. I’ve never heard anything like it, and I’m shocked… I have to put myself in a seatbelt. I start shaking, it’s so exciting… This is a thrill a minute.”

Doubt thou the stars are fire, doubt that the sun doth move, doubt truth to be a liar, but never doubt I love……..

Rock on!

Doc
I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars……

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 2 months

Oh well
It'll be 55th anniversary releases then
Several people on here getting very mardy of late
Take a chill pill y'all
And remember......
BE KIND xxx

user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Doc: I hope you are well and thanks for the commentary on recent shows. Halloween '71 has always been an amazing pick in my view.

Road Trips: it brought forth a lot of music, but the then-fashionable 12-grain cardboard was a disaster. Not only didn't we have vinyl album covers to look at anymore, but even the tiny packaging for those CDs was repulsive and sometimes illegible. Photos didn't present well. Just ugly. No wonder they didn't sell well. The Dave's Picks series seems like a case study on how to market something effectively.

Partial shows - Who says there's no way to release them? Partial shows can be released as 1) a bonus disk or 2) in the November "free-download" series. EZ-peezy.

DaP 40 sounds great! Thanks Dick and team for all you do.

user picture

Member for

2 years 8 months

38 years ago today I was at the Marin Veterans Auditorium, to hear the Grateful Dead pull St. Stephen out of the hat one last time. That was nice, but I had a lot more fun the night before 10/30/83, when all my friends got tickets and were at the show. It was really hard to get tickets to these shows, the Marin Vets Auditorium only holds 2 thousand people. Other Halloween shows, I saw the Garcia band play at the Oakland Auditorium, I had a ticket for 10/31/84 at the B.C.T., but I had a case of poison oak and didn't feel like going.. I wish 10/31/67 & 10/31/69 would be official releases.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Our crew only made the 10/31/85 show at Columbia. I remember it was a good show, sound system set up in a triangle configuration,,, did some "wow" things with it. I remember heads changed the sign in front of IHOP to read something about LSD inside with the letter that were on the sign. Also one of the motels had a HUGE "string in a can" war going on. The entire second floor balcony was covered in string!

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

Has been sitting in Butner, NC for 4 days now. Good times!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Dave, usually you include the setlist of what is on the CD. Looking forward to getting this next week, it will be a nice surprise.

user picture

Member for

5 years 1 month

I see DL gave Desolation Row a shout out from this Deer Creek 90 performance. If you're a fan of this song, check out the version from Deer Creek 92...6/29/92....lesser known, but really good to my ears!

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

How could you not post about that today, Doc? An all time classic. I will forever maintain that it is one of the top three single discs ever released by the band. I spin it every year handing out candy.

DaP40 arrived and shelved. Enjoy to those interested.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Dear Angry Jack Straw...........

LOL I did post about 10/31, very early this morning. Because I do post so early---often before 6 AM---those posts sometimes get "buried" under the other posts of the day.

October is the fallen leaf, but it is also a wider horizon more clearly seen. It is the distant hills once more in sight, and the enduring constellations above them once again......

Rock on!!

Doc
The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision...........

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Haven't listened to it yet but tried Desolation Row on CD3 and there's a few audio mistakes between 6 and 7 minutes where the audio on some of the vocal tracks are speeded up.
Larry@bermanart.com if you want to contact me.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Is that a dr. demento pic you have up as your profile? I have several pieces of vinyl I bought on ebay from the good dr's collection 7 or 10 years ago. I grew up on Dr. Demento. Some of the best radio I ever heard back in the day.

By release #. Dave's 1 through Dave's 39, etc. For the box sets, it's doesn't matter.. I identify them by size/shape/art work. This seems less important now as I almost exclusively listen to the digital copy and spare my discs the wear and tear, etc. I store all this digitally by the date of the show such that it sorts correctly, i.e. 1977-05-25 the Mosque - Richmond, Va.

I'd imagine most people do this slightly different.

Happy week all.. Play Dead.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

The best versions of everything are chronological by performance, left to right, 1965 thru 1975, on an approx. six foot wide shelf in my office, just below a similar one dedicated to Roy Buchanan, which is below another one for Jimi. Top shelf has Jerry and Owsley Stanley Foundation and New Riders. GD, 1976 to 1995, is on 3-4' shelf downstairs along with two more shelves of Jimi, one of Dylan/The Band, one of Lightnin' Hopkins, John Mayall. Etc.

The boxes generally are stripped and their contents filed chrono style - if they're digipaks. Larger format sleeves stay in the boxes, which get crammed anywhere there's room. Plus another full bookcase with more Roy, Cream/Clapton, Bonnie Raitt, etc. Then two full CD racks, five shelves each, about 21/2' long, one for pop/rock the other for blues/jazz.

As I mentioned in another post, I'm not married........

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

Is in da house, now if I just had time to rip it and blast, Doah!

Box’s are in a special case displayed.
Everything else is on shelves chronologically.
Digital library naming etc is different, sorta custom, but I use the show date for the release date and have that as my priority sort variable so there chronologically there too.
I also tag them as their own genre so I can search quicker.
JGB, Bob etc are all their own custom genre.

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

Dave mentioned in the seaside that if it came to just one, he'd have released 7-19 (the second night) ... I'm grateful for the 7 18, listening to it right now, it's really good, for 1990, and the setlist is indeed phenomenal.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

Official releases chronological by release date, therefore, all Dick’s RT’s and Dave’s in numerical order. Unofficial releases, chronologically by show date. Box sets, like Jim, anywhere they fit. Not much on digital releases, just old fashioned(see:old) I guess.
If I can’t hold it, I don’t want it. Just call me the dinosaur. 30 days……one of many yearly highlights(yes, I download, and then create a series of cds, grouped only to please me.
As a tribute to Doc, Rock on!!

Was Phish really that good?

Last time I attended a Phish show was 1994...

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

I very much appreciate the variety in the releases, in that we're getting shows from the entire 30-year run. Got my DaP40 on the day it was promised me, on the first Day of the Dead.

You Enjoy MyShelf: The 3000-CD rack in the living room is already spilling over with rock, jazz, blues, and classical, so the GD get their own CD rack in the guest room, and the walls there are covered with Dead posters and Dead art. (yes, I'm married, but my wife is happy that I love music so much) The officially-released GD shows are all in chronological order (boxes rest on the floor next to the rack), as are the JGB releases, but the JGB discs have their own section. The rack also houses the GD DVDs and music videos by other artists (Joni, Peter Gabriel, Genesis, Roxy Music . . . ).

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I forgot how great that China>Rider was. Brent really brought some great playing into this combo in the latter days and this one really shows him at his peak. So sad it was gone days later. I have a memory of hearing that transition jam after a show blasting from a tapers audio system in the lot at the Omni that spring and I felt the band was really hitting their professional peak as an ensemble. Very powerful.

I never got to experience the first 13 years of the Dead's live set in person when many of these songs were fresh in their repertoire and in some cases still evolving, but I think the last few years with Brent and into '91 was one of the great era's. From my layer in the game fandom, it was pretty much better than most things going on in the music world at the time.

The first show first set the band played well and really picked up steam during Masterpiece. That's one of those songs that are usually consistent in execution but this one has some power behind it. Peggy-O was relatively rare but always well played. LLR is exceptional. Terrapin>Jam. A perfect second set.

I caught the next two night after these shows. At the time I was oblivious to what was going on behind the scenes and whatever Brent's struggles were, though that version of Far From Me was offsetting. Those shows were still well played and seemed the bands trajectory for new realms of greatness was unstoppable. We ended up having to miss the third show and Brents last and sell our tickets as a work conflict came up. That year I caught 7 shows. Three in Atlanta, two at Tinley Park and two at Compton Terrace with Bruce and Vince. Those show were also excellent. That second show seemed to continue the upward trajectory of musical growth and inventiveness with Bruce and his grand piano in the mix.

A few weeks after the Tinley Park Dead shows I caught my first Allman Brothers show. The Warren Haynes, Allan Woody, Johnny Neel line-up touring in support of the Seven Turns album. That show was epic and say the same night Stevie Ray Vaughan died on sacred ground at Alpine Valley. 1990 was truly a year of the best and the worst.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Yo! Rockers!!

My shelf? Two 8 TB hard drives. Plus a few smallers 5 TB "working hard drives". LOL..............

You never enjoy the world aright, till the sea itself floweth in your veins, till you are clothed with the heavens and crowned with the stars............

Rock on!!!

Doc
Love is space and time measured by the heart......

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

Like a lot of people of my generation, with my sort of problems, I have literally thousands of recordings-starting with L.Ps - first one in 1971. My Dead L.P.s, and solo projects on vinyl-Kingfish, Dig Rhythm Band etc are in two L.P. cases in the attic. Not stored in any particular order. Near them are a few flat suitcases piled one of top of the other that are crammed full of tapes of shows-these are mostly in date order.
One From The Vaults through Dicks Picks and standalone releases are in a cabinet in date order. Next to these are the Road Trips series in no particular order. Thats in my dining room.
Dave's Picks are all on a book case in order of the date they were released-in my bedroom. These FM releases are dotted about here and there - and I have a cardboard box full of shows someone has been kind enough to download for me off the internet.
The L.P. vinyl boxes that have come out in the last year or so are spread about downstairs and in the attic. Box sets of cds are all over the place.
Obviously, I don't just buy Dead music...and as I very rarely get rid of anything, I have zillions of cds and L.P. from all sorts of artists from the 1920s onwards-not filed in any particular order. Blues and jazz are mainly together. As are my collections of Hawkwind, Gong and The Cramps. They are all over the place-in racks, in cupboards, in my wardrobe. I can usually find what I am looking for.

Having said that...I do smetimes wonder where that Spooky Tooth album got to.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I have CDs, LPs(12" & 10") 45s, 78s. The Dead is together, but in no specific order... Got shelves for Motown and R&B, Country, 50s R&R, Latin, international pressings, none of them in any kind of order; then 60s/70s Rock, again all mixed up. I roughly know where everything is, but just yesterday it took me a long time to find Caravan's For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night.

user picture

Member for

5 years 11 months

My Daves #40 showed up last night and I was able to get through disc 1 - its bittersweet to me already. This was my era. I was a sophomore in college in 1990. Brent was the guy for all my shows basically and this release gets me in the feels because they were so consistently good during this run and Brent's sound is so sweet and so integral and so in tune with Jerry. Getting a spot under stage left was always the goal because the interplay musically and just in "vibe" between Jerry and Brent were the best of fun to watch up close. But being the penultimate Brent shows makes it bittersweet. Aside from a few bright spots here and there - or with an outside spiark from Branford or Clarence Clemons to inspire them - the post Brent the sound feels somewhat lost to me. So these shows are a treasure to me. I didnt attend them but I saw the bulk of my shows from 85-90 on the west coast - so these are some great shows to represent the overall peak of this era. Cheers to Dave and company for the bonus 4th disc on this release and cheers to a really damn solid 2021 - some great Dave's, the St Louis box and Light into Ashes lp, some really good JGB releases, the Paris 72 Record Store Day releases (epic) and still to arrive? Garcia 17 and the Garcia 30th delayed RSD release. For me - that is a seriously beautiful bundle of sonic love in 2021 that will be hard to top - but UI cant wait to see them try!!! :)

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Sounds great.

Dave I got your Spook Tooth album, so stop looking.

All my 'original vinyl fill a 12 foot shelf in closet, all cds are in banker boxes in closet. All my 45's are in sleeves in drawers of a dresser. Dead box sets on book shelves in office. My latest "limited" vinyl purchases have gotten a shelf in office,,,, but it is damn near filled and will need to start a new shelf when the Joni Mitchell box gets here, or and the JGB box, or and the DaP 1 vinyl. All storage is environmentally controlled.

That is just the physical collection, the digital collection is on a 10 TB internal HD, with all backups to external drives that are only plugged in for backups. I store by artist name, artist are filled with albums, albums filled with songs. I believe I am well over the 600,000 tune mark.

I think as myself as the librarian, I don't read all the books but I keep them in order and dry!

Music, better than sex. (only because I can listen longer than I can fuck)

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

I'm glad I had JUST swallowed that mouthful of coffee before I hit your closing remark! :)

And I should have mentioned--the shows in the box sets stay in the boxes, next to the GD CD rack; they aren't on the chronologically-sequenced rack. That sometimes bothers me . . .

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-40.html