• 3,418 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    "We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• Kate_C.
    Phish tix in the po'box this p.m.; unlike Lockn where I at least feign roughing it in rolling 4 **** accommodations, I've decided my Outback and bricknmortar lodgings will do just fine on what should be an adventurous run from Hampton to Vegas between 10/19 and Halloween Night in Sin City. I'm only taking one show in Rosemont to facilitate a leisurely slog west, to include a one-night cabin rental in Grand Teton before spending another night in SLC (never visited either!). Near-universal wifi and a mobile workstation have revolutionized my quality of life more than quilted toilet paper, hot water heaters, and Trader Joe's Cookie Butter (though none are indispensable at this point). I've got trail running routes mapped along the way in addition to having identified a couple Y's where I can day pass into lap swimming. Happy.
  • Kate_C.
    ...she's what's yer life's been missing. Caution: the related video library is quite nearly addictive as the ETOH in Billy's 64 oz., genetically attached megathermos.
  • Kate_C.
    Technology fosters a certain audiologic pedantry that discounts the practical difficulties of archival transfers. Still, while a bit of the 2-track blues is understandable, Plangent alchemy has affected significant sonic upgrades to existing sources. Portland 74 is a well-known quantity to most, but the Truckin' Jam is a luminescent passage that defies contempt for even acute familiarity. While my favourite GDTRFBs tend to grind like roughly upshifted semi gears in transition from the preceding track, this strong rendition ascends from NFA with deliberate fluidity; also, Keith's bubbly, assertive, sometimes catalystic play makes many first-set standards remarkable. The daughter of the woman who cleans house for me**, age 10, was so entranced by the PNW outer & small wood boxes - suggesting it would make for good jewelry storage - that I gifted it immediately; heck, I was only going to shelve it for the next 50 years (according to actuarial tables), but it's become the center of focus for child - if only for a short bit - who exhibits more enthusiasm than I'll ever muster after unboxing. Still, it's easily the most aesthetically pleasing musical release from top-to-bottom that I've ever seen. Couple disks heading back, but that's been par for the course since the beginning, and I've never had a problem with speedy replacement. **This really isn't saying much in-and-of-itself: in Appalachia, if you've got something then it's implied that you will try to help others, and the most dignified way to do is offering work that you might otherwise undertake yourself. You'd be surprised the difference even a little makes here at altitude. :)
  • Kate_C.
    Rather wondering when someone was going to mention it; I thought it was just ephemera that bore some metaphysical correlation to page 5 of the accompanying text.
  • Kate_C.
    While it's not surprising that tix to the P&F Headcount Benefit Friday at the Apollo tumbled down several echelons of the firm's socioeconomic caste without claim, I still consider their availability a great fortune. Having never visited, attending any performance at that historically significant venue for the (my) first time would have been cause for a bucketlist deduction, but this was clearly special. Though tired, I returned home to discover that 2018's stellar - and costly - box set run would continue with the wish-list-topping (now that Szell is out) release of BOTT material for Dylan's 14th Bootleg installment. Because the amazon.uk page appears to address a Japanese import edition, I shouldn't imagine that the price quoted for this (purportedly) 6-disc release will be as exorbitant for the conventional Euro & US versions./K https://www.amazon.co.uk/More-Blood-Tracks-Bob-Dylan/dp/B07GVXL5DQ/ref=… Shout out to the old Eleven - I miss you guys! :)
  • Born Cross Eye…
    It was lost in the United States Postal Service system.Much frustration with the delay, now turned to joy. The only date I think I see on the label is in the lower section under the 2nd bar code and above the description, which reads: 01/2018. There is also the 3rd of 4 bar codes on the label in that box.
  • boki
    Default Avatar
    'Cats under the stars' & 'The Wheel' mirror
    At first, thanks to all who have been visited my mirrors, mostly XL 'Cats under the stars' mirror listed in cat shop. The mirror is ready for shipping worldwide, you can find it here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/595957100/cats-under-the-stars-mirror-jerr… I'm working currently on another mirror dedicated to Jerry. It's 'The Wheel' mirror, with the lyrics applied on the back side of the mirror. Hasn't been listed yet, but for Jerrys's birthday I listed psychedelic Jerry's hand made as a wall mirror: https://www.etsy.com/listing/632494283/psychedelic-jerry-garcia-hand-de…
  • wilfredtjones
    BCE got it off of Amazon from recently discovered overstock...
  • icecrmcnkd
    Is that a replacement, or was it ‘lost in the mail’?If replacement, does it have a number?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

"We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

25 won't arrive in Santa Cruz until Monday night, so I'm keeping myself occupied with all the Dark Stars I have from 1968. Also reading Phil Proctor's autobiography, Where's My Fortune Cookie? Paperback – December 27, 2017. If you're a Firehead this is required reading. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/138970503X/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_… Ran across this streaming link - A Banjo Lesson With Jerry Garcia? Listen to This Tape from 1964 http://tomorrowsverse.com/story/a-banjo-lesson-with-jerry-garcia-listen…
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 2 months

It is 1 bonus disk for the whole year. I believe it comes with DP26. Enjoy, I just got mine today, this show is a rager!
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

You may need to get in touch with Dr. Rhino about getting a replacement disc.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

3400 has arrived in Philly. It's 12:53AM in Philly I'll spin this one, one day during the week. happy One More Saturday Night.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....I sense it. Loping Dead. I like this show a lot. It grooves so elegantly. They are lit, gooey goodness. Billy needs a light Candace!!Definitely a different vibe than Hamilton. Amazeballs that a band can switch up the mood from show to show like they do. Dumbfounding at times.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 6 months

Glad you are all getting yours.This years sub has been a righteous pain from get go, paid by pay pal, but never received a confirmation that my sub was registered. Many, many interventions from Marye, Doc Rhino and Daniel, some contradictory correspondence,finally assurance that my sub was active, was even able to check order status once, but now my order status comes up blank and no confirmation mail of sending, so once again Marye is on the job pestering Doc Rhino, I fear that even if this works out finally, it will be the same story next time round, and the next time and the..... I really am fedup with the constant snafus, site crashes when trying to order, waiting for the Anthem and next box news, if ordering next time is also a problem then Im giving up. Off the bus after 51 years?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 2 months

did you hear that just now? That point in the instrumental jam where time stopped, and you witnessed Buddha (or whomever) conducting the flow of music in real time, and you tapping your feet in unison, completely in the moment, amazed at what you are hearing? How about the lyrics in that song which just took on a much deeper meaning for you, kind of an "ah hah!" moment," because of where you are and what you are going through in your life right now? That's the Grateful Dead, my friend ;) If you are here on this board (even just lurking), and know what I'm talking about, you are a member of the Brotherhood/Sisterhood. No further bona fides necessary... All are welcome...who have eyes to see, and ears to hear. Peace, all.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

The wife just got Sirius in her car as of yesterday, and she and I spent the whole day driving around this great state of ours visiting family, listening to Grateful Dead Radio, along with others stations. Anyways, I didn't catch the Jack Straw from last night's broadcast of 5/12/80, but I was thinking of that 2nd set He's Gone when I woke up this morning. That is a hell of a performance. Here's my Top 3, which are more or less set in stone... Truckin' Playin' He's Gone Nearly every other song is tied for 4th, depending on the situation/performance/day of the week. Peace
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 8 months

Not sure why I torture myself by attempting to track these thing until they hit my mailbox, just not a very patient person these days I suppose. Looks like my copy was within 20 mins of my address in Philly as of yesterday and has now apparently been sent back out to 2 hours away in Jersey City. I would love it if shipping were UPS the whole way.
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Mine is sitting about 2 miles away at the post office.It being Sunday........ We’re gonna miracle you and make a special Sunday delivery.....
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Did you ever receive a confirmation email for your subscription?If so that’s your receipt/proof of purchase. Other people have previously complained about issues with using Pay Pal.
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Spot on-that's as good a description of getting turned on by The Dead that I have read. It can happen in the unlikeliest places, during the unlikeliest songs, too. But a few never seem to fail. As I am typing, I am listening to the jam between China Cat and I Know You Rider from Newcastle 11th April 1972. One of countless brilliant versions played between 1972-1974. These two songs and the interlocking jam encompass almost everything I love about the band. The whole of this first set in Newcastle is pretty good actually-Tennessee Jed a few songs ago, was superb. And this jam, towards the end of I know You Rider..amazing!
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I don't know why its so much harder ordering cds from this site than it is from any other. I cant seem to order anything from my laptop at home. If I want anything, I have to walk into town, and use one of the computers in the library. Which is alright, but I am sure I would order more if it wasn't so difficult. Impulse buys are not an option for me-which may be a good thing. I would probably have ordered the 1989 box set one of these evenings if I could have done so from the comfort of my own home.
user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

Wow I can’t believe how good this is. The sound is pristine, stellar. The playing is muscular, fierce and not sloppy in the least bit. It rocks hard yet they are able to effortlessly shift the dynamics down to lay it down easy when the tunes call for it. I love DP 34 and Dap12 but this seems a bit above those in overall consistency. Is it something about stepping it up a couple notches to end a particular run? I’m really not sure. They are just so damned dialed in. I did a double take when they went from Mexicali into Me and my Uncle as if someone just pushed a hyperspace button to transport them in a flash yet right on the beat. In November I had some really annoying ordering issues that I have never previously had. Was forced to use PayPal and it finally went through. Also read a bunch of postings groaning about another 77 release and I was almost convinced that perhaps Dave keeps going back to the well too often. But hearing is believing. So glad to have this.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 6 months

No,never received the confirmation mail;that was the issue which started this whole palava, Danial said multiple times he would send one, never arrived, though at one point he said that our correspondence constituted a confirmation, and that my order was processing, I got an order number which allowed me just once to check order status, but as I said it just shows up blank these last weeks.Dave Rock noted that he has problems placing orders via laptop, I only use a pad, maybe thats the issue here. But in Marye we trust! Thanks for your concern!
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

I think it’s a browser/cookies issue most of the time. Not including times when the site is overwhelmed by everyone trying to order at the same time.I’ve experienced issues where I put something in the cart and go to checkout then it says that there is nothing in my cart. But, in the upper right corner the cart symbol shows a 1 in the cart and clicking on that then moves the process forward. I think that a lot of people have experienced that and got frustrated when it said there was nothing in their cart, without seeing the 1 in the small cart icon. So, always check the little cart icon. Also try other browsers, and allowing cookies. Hope that helps. Don’t have my DaP 25 yet but I know the show smokes because I had it on cassette years ago, then on CD-R. Looking forward to the Full Norman. For this rainy Sunday I’m doing some Pink Floyd from their Boxzilla: stereo remix of Pompeii, then remastered Obscurred By Clouds, now the ‘71 offering.
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

If you got an order number I would have to say that you deserve the subscription.But if your PayPal never got charged then you might have an uphill battle.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 6 months

Oh yes the payment was taken immediately!
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

You absolutely are owed a subscription. Hopefully it gets straightened out this round so you don’t have any more issues during the next 3 rounds. As for Daverock’s ordering problem, he lives in the UK so his internet traffic runs on the wrong side of the internet. The computer he uses at the library has one of those Elon Musk internet inverters which gets things running on the correct side. ;)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 6 months

Im in Sweden, we changed sides in 1967! a week after I first heard about the Grateful Dead in an english pop music paper in connection with a review of Monterey and the SF sound.Sweden therefore showing immense foresight and thus avoiding the wrong side of the net, long before the net was a twinkle in somebodys eye. Spooky.
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

The primary issue when new releases go on sale is the sheer volume of traffic right away. Everyone knows the good stuff will sell out so they all try to get a buy on ASAP. I know I do. And their servers can't handle the traffic, this isn't amazon after all, just some crappy little server in a back room with some stoner monitoring it, munching chips and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. When the 2018 Dave's sub went on sale, I spent the usual first couple hours getting kicked out, frozen, re-starting etc. until finally a purchase appeared to go through via PayPal. PayPal logged the purchase but I never got a damn thing from dead.net or Warner/Atlantic. In a panic, I purchased a second subscription a day or two later for insurance, this time using my debit card. This one hit right away (initial web traffic having fallen off), and I got the confirmation quickly after. I finally sent dead.net a note asking if I had one or two purchases, days later I got confirmations for both. I only need one not being a re-seller, so they kindly canceled one and let the other stand. I was still kind of holding my breath until #8738 arrived Friday afternoon. Great listening; nearly perfect first set (I could do without, 'Passenger.')
user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Dave’s Picks Volume 25 snuck in late yesterday afternoon. The cover art links copperdomebodhi and others posted are good, but if you need a higher-res, color-corrected version, here’s an option. https://www.dropbox.com/s/5j3i9osr23jg5r6/Dave%27s%2025%20SQUARE%20FINA… Great color on this one, but color-matching was crazy thanks to Tim McDonagh’s closely analogous color palette. I made scans of both CD Cover and Booklet (each is cropped slightly differently) and combined the two so that all of the artwork's included. I then extended the top and bottom to “square” the image (some of us like square format for itunes, phones, etc.) Hope you enjoy. Please pass around as needed. Hope those order snafus get sorted out fast! Hang in there Tony.
user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

anyone else wonder if their disc was skipping during this track? it sort of sounded like jerry was slurring his words. ----
user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

Hey, P. Fox -- the Scarlet/Fire from this show routinely gets hammered as sub-par due to its flubs, particularly the fact that Jerry trips on the lyrics each time he opens his mouth during "Fire". Personally, it doesn't phase me (hard to find any show where a lyric or two didn't get forgotten or butchered). The overall vibe and Jerry's solos more than make up for it to my ears.
user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

yeah. that's kind of what i thought as well. the music was tight. it was just the lyrics that were botched. ----
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

it has its moments, yes. fun, too. I just..."can't explain" ("can't explain"). no complaints, though. it just feels like they could have energized some parts of it even more, taken it farther...whatever. the Scarlet has always made me want to crawl out of my skin ("get on with it!") goodies: Half Step transition from Mexi > M&MU Duprees Passenger Dire Wolf Truckin', of course. tasty
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 2 months

I have had the chance to listen about 4 times all the way through so far. I like this show quite a bit. It has some great moments and is a very solid overall show. The first set was amazing. Really like the Mississippi to start things off. The second set is great as well. Some tasty treats in there. Overall, great pick Dave! Good start to the 2018 subscription.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years

I’m a little late but wanted to comment about a week ago in that there should be more clubs in school at expense of sports. While I think more math clubs would be good. ... I am finding my pre teen kids involvement in lots of sports to be teaching them very valuable life lessons about getting along with other kids, working with others, building confidence, etc. I originallySigned them up for sports cuz I love sports but the benefits they have obtained have been great ! Plus having worked in corporate America I see how valuable these inter personal skills. Just an opinion from a math geek ... I’m a cpa
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....as to why the Scarlet->Fire was flubbed? High. As. Fuck. Simple. Newsflash. The Grateful Dead did a lot of drugs....it gets so quiet during the the transition, I thought they were playing in a library. Sounds good to me....
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

As are sports. As is music. That dude who was complaining about geeks somehow being maligned was way off base.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 2 months

Sound quality on this release is fantastic! Perfectly mixed levels of all the instruments. Crazy good. I agree with others you can tell Mr. Garcia partook of a few party favors between sets and the Scarlet > Fire while flubbed is absolutely drippingly psychedelic and brilliant on a very sublime level. Jerry is tuned into his guitar this entire night. So many highlights mentioned already. I will add Minglewood is on fire(!) and the drum intro into NFA is long and tribal. Lots of fun banter these last few shows of 1977. Love this one. Thanks Dave keep them coming! I am feeling '73 or '89 for #27. We shall see...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 6 months

Got mine in Denver on Friday. Listening through for the second time now. That first set doesn't blow me away on paper but its a scorcher. Love the Halfstep and Jack Straw to open the show and that transition from Mexicali to Me & My Uncle is a thing of beauty. Second set is awesome too, I dig the unique Scarlet/Fire and everything from St Stephen through to the end is top notch. GREAT SHOW!
user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

Was anyone questioning why the lyrics were flubbed? I thought we were all just generally acknowledging how solid the Scarlet/Fire is in spite of the flubs. Though I may have missed a post in the scroll, speed-reader that I am. But thanks for the newsflash on the copious amounts of drugs. 'Cause, you know, I would never have guessed that to be the case.
user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

This show is a lot of fun with a lot of very intense moments but it has quite a few sloppy moments as well. Really interesting to see how different this show is just from the night before. 11/5/77 is very solid, in my opinion, but doesn't quite reach the same peaks. I can deal with the slop though, especially when the energy level is through the roof, but the one moment that really makes me cringe is the end of TMNS...not the best way to end the set. Highlights for me are Mississippi Half-Step, Passenger, & Wharf Rat. Passenger isn't one that usually stands out for me but this is one of the more solid moments in the show. Also nice to hear the rare Dupree's Diamond Blues. Wharf Rat was just absolutely mind blowing and the St Stephen coda was really surprising.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 9 months

I have to agree this show cranks, Playin>Wheel>Playing to end first set, simply incredible! The show is full of banter, some miscues, glitches, but played Raw and energetic, isn't that why We all loved these types of Shows! This show or 6-4-78 Next!
user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

What was wrong with the music never stops? I thought the ending sounded great.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 2 months

hello all,I opened my volume 25, put disc 1 in and Half step skips in a few places. There are no scratches or anything? It jumps 2-5 seconds a few times. This is the only song that has the problem. I also tried playing in two different players and get the same outcome. I contacted CS, but was wondering if anyone else is having a problem? John
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I'm with you on this one Porterhouse. I hope this show was one of the recovered Bettys. We've been fortunate enough to get so many 1977 shows I feel that I don't need anymore at the moment except for this one. With any luck, this will be the next 1977 show to hit our mailbox. The Slipknot is absolutely Epic. My favorite. It's an all Jerry extravaganza. I don't know of any others where he is as loud has this one and where he goes on for as long as he does on this one. There's also a great funky Phil ending I'm sure you know toEyes of the World. The Terrapin Station is also a little different and good. It ranks very high on Heady Version.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

2/26/77 is indeed amazing. I have to check the sound quality of my copy but I think it’s pretty good if I remember correctly. May need to revisit later this week after (presumably) listening to the new Dave’s Picks a few times. While we’re at it, can we get 3/18 as well? Also one of my favorites from that year. Thin and others have mentioned 10/29 from time to time and with good reason. That might be a candidate for show of the year. I guess my point is, despite the wealth of shows released from 1977, the well won’t be dry for quite some time which makes me incredibly happy to think about. EDIT: And while I'm daydreaming, can we have 9/29 and 10/2 too?
user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

I'm talking about the end...where it gets sloppy. I don't know who missed the queue, but the drums just start going full force and they aren't matched up. If it doesn't bother you, rock on.
user picture

Member for

12 years

....never thought this show was a top 5 1977 show. BUT the first set is so damn good. The transition from MB>MAMU is just jaw dropping and FOTD is better than most. The Mississippi is just insane..............The 2nd set is good but not great...until that monster Truckin' drops. The sound quality is fantastic..as for 2-26-77....yes please. Hoping for a 74 box this year........but will be happy with whatever the fates give me. peace
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 9 months

Can somebody clear something up for me? The liner notes on DP 25 note that Healy has the recording “dialed in.” But the credits say the recording is by Betty. Which is it? Or is it both? If so, why isn’t Healy’s name on the credits. Am I missing something.Have yet to play, but I’ve been listening to the SB on archive.org for years. Hot show in the home town of McIntosh Labs.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 5 months

The liner notes you seem to refer to say, "Healy had the joint completely dialed in". Presumably referring to the sound in the Arena. Betty did her own recordings, which she dialed in for tape, not the room.
product sku