• 2,395 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• cheyler196
    Default Avatar
    I was wondering what the solution might be to this problem. If the bonus disc came with the edits necessary to re-assemble the show in the correct running order, it would be difficult to listen to it 'as-is'. Re-assembling the show from the disc as-released also makes for difficult listening. Listening to the show out-of-sequence is OK but not optimum. The only real solution is to make the files available digitally. Give a unique one-use download code to each purchaser and allow the download of the files with the necessary edits. Given the limited nature of the releases and the speed at which they sell out, this couldn't possibly affect sales and would definitely reduce the complaining.
  • alvarhanso
    What a fantastic show and fantastic recording! Combine this and DaP 21 4/2/73, and Rex has two of the best sounding tapes released. And the performance matches the pristine recording here more than 21, IMO. The Other One (both halves) have great jams, Wharf Rat is a strong '71 version, NFA> GDTRFB> NFA is ridiculously raucous, and we get almost an entire other show as a bonus! This is the Pick of the year for me so far. 25 is a good show with three truly great renditions of songs, the first two, and second set closer, otherwise a good show. This show SMOKES and the bonus is a good show; the best aspect of it is the side by side comparison one has for Keith lineup and Keith and Pig, with nearly identical setlist choices.
  • Mind-Left-Body
    This is a great recording.
  • Born Cross Eye…
    This thread is quieting down after the announcements of the North West Pacific 73-74 box and Dave's Picks 27. I suspect it be removed from public view like the threads for Dave's Picks 17 thru 24 have been taken down, away from public view.Yet, at this posting I can read the threads for DaP 13 - 16. Why?
  • icecrmcnkd
    I’ll need some L-Dopa, 5-HT, NE, and BDNF to process
  • Born Cross Eye…
    Well, I was wrong as were the 70's *mafia*
    I don't recall seeing any calls for an 80's show on these two comment boards - this DaP 26 or the NW '73 - '74 box comments boards. Oh well, no big deal. I used to have this 9/2/83 as an audience tape set and a fine one to boot. I got rid of it (and many other GD tapes) when I was downsizing in the mid 2000's during a move from one domicile to another. A very good show, if I recall correctly.
  • mbarilla
    F%CK YES The GODS have spoken September 2, 1983 excited for this release and a few in particular LLR ~ Deal plus Estimated Eyes and Throwing Stones, really all of it but especially interested in these a few weeks back i pulled out Dicks Picks 6 Smoking hot "They LOve Each Other" ~ Estimated Eyes this one is going to be a HEATER , time for a stroll with Mary Jane cool cover art for number 27, number 26 was awesome artwork too , looks great while sun was sinking low
  • Mr. Jack Straw
    Default Avatar
    http://www.dead.net/store/music/new-releases/daves-picks-volume-27
  • mbarilla
    Would love a show from this year, if the Rhinos go with 1983 performance I wouldn't be surprised if it's 10.17.83 from Lake Placid, New York 1983 - 1984 release would be near the top of my request list , March and April have some gems
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 8 months

The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Thoughts? You mean we have to wait until August to get the Box Set Reveal? That simply won't do. I say we storm the vault, find the reels slated for Normanization and head to Mockingbird Studios ourselves. From there we can tie Mr. Norman to his chair and proceed with an IV drip of freshly roasted coffee not letting him leave until we have the music in hand. Who's with me? Wait until August? argh.... tell me it isn't so! No wonder Bolo knows not what the box set bringeth. Note: I still have the wayback set to 6/10/1973. That's still my guess (hope?).
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....50 ain't no big deal. Not doing shit today. Playing 5.21.92 Cal Expo this morning. Slim pickings for 5.21 in Dead history (although I did catch the '95 Vegas show). Mrs. Vguy got me a Golden Knights jersey, albeit too big. Shes kicking herself. Relax honey. We can exchange it. She smiled that smile I fell in love with 21 years ago. I want oysters today....I'm a simple man, with simple needs. We gonna pitch a Wang Dang Doodle all knight long.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 10 months

The recent blues discussions here caught my attention, thought I'd add my two cents. Been diving deep into the blues for many years, both old timey and newer, electric and country acoustic. Used to go to the record bins back in the day and read the back covers of old classic country blues albums while deciding on what to buy to build a collection. Mississippi John Hurt, Skip James, Lightnin' Hopkins, Mance Lipscom, Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee and the like. Saw Brownie McGhee at the tiny old Freight and Salvage in Berkeley one time with the harp player who played on Jorma's Hot Tuna live acoustic album, I think it was. That guy (can't recall his name) came riding up to the show on his bicycle, just strolled in through the front door grinning and looking a bit over the line. But Sonny was gone by then, and the harmonica player added a nice counterpoint to the classic Brownie acoustic blues. There's a unique record store, Arhoolie records, in El Cerrito CA in the Bay Area, where I used to hang out some. Chris Strachwitz opened it after producing and getting a cut of Country Joe's Fixin' to Die Rag tune, and it became a labor of love as he toured the south to find old forgotten blues guys in the 60s and 70s and put them on his label. What a collection of obscure great music he helped create. Just looked it up on Wikipedia and seems that the Smithsonian bought him out in 2016 to ensure that his classics remain in the American canon long term. Some good info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arhoolie_Records Among the acts he helped get going was an early Robben Ford blues group with his brothers in the Charles Ford Band. I saw them (and another under-heralded guitarist Amos Garrett another time) at the old Larry Blakes smoky dive bar down below Telegraph Ave. in Berkeley a few times back in the 80s. Incredible shows, from a few feet away. Right now I'm in Hawaii for a few weeks, at the moment watching the sun rise over the Pacific from a 10th floor balcony. Every time I come out here, the old time Hawaiian music is so soothing and just fits in so naturally while drinking a Mint Colada or Mai Tai at a table on an open air bar next to the waves lapping in. The funny thing is, the contemporary Hawaiian music in English is similar in sound to the old time stuff sung in Hawaiian, but falls completely flat to me. The lyrics are pretty sappy and mushy in English, but in Hawaiian, take on the magic of that musical language - plus I don't understand what they're saying then, so I make up my own meanings! If you want a dose of pure Polynesian soul, check out this wonder -- many have heard it, but maybe some of you haven't. Iz Kamakawiwoʻole, Somewhere over the Rainbow. If it doesn't relax you and put you in the mood for a little tropical respite, it's not my fault -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bFr2SWP1I Stretching out even further, my main musical tastes and collections are really jazz and classical music. The GOGD is one of the few rock bands I listen to anymore, but I listen to them a lot. Lately I've been catching up on a raft of forgotten jazz guitarists that I've been exploring recently. Have listened to the greats like Django, Wes Montgomery, Charlie Christian, Tal Farlow, Jimmy Raney, Johnny Smith, Barney Kessel, Kenny Burrell, John Scofield, Emily Remler, and many others for decades, but now have been looking around and sampling using the magic of Amazon, ebay, Discogs and others to find more. There are a lot. From decades ago, Oscar Moore, Bus Etri, Joe Puma, Billy Bauer, Dick McDonough, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Mary Osbourne, Irving Ashby, Remo Palmieri, it goes on and on. More recently, the likes of Jimmy Bruno, Julian Lage, Angelo DeBarre, Pasquale Grasso, Howard Alden, and many others. Jazz can be an acquired taste, but these guys have been firing me up lately. These folks were/are virtuosos, many ahead their time, and they play tight. There's a really rich vein of musical history to mine out there, and when I compare the grace and sophistication of some of these tunes from the 40s and 50s to the unrecognizable stuff that assaults me over the radio these days, I can only shake my head.
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

I was about to correct "Greg Nettles" to "Craig Nettles" but decided to google it first. Turns out it's "Graig Nettles". Who knew. I had the same reaction to the August MUATM box announcement, Jim: "Gotta wait 'til f'ing AUGUST???" I guess that '89 box at the end of '17 pushed out the box schedule. I also think Rhino has lost a bit of mojo, as I've said before, and maybe their self-confidence as well. First the Cornell numbered, then un-numbered boxes circus, then the RFK box "not-numbered... wait, yes we'll number it!" Indecisive and missing the mark These decisions both seemed like obvious mistakes form the get-go - surprised that Rhino, who has been running the vault release series for a long time can seem so disconnected. Maybe we'll get an '86 box. Or a box of Donna's wails strung together. Or a box of just Brent spewing f-bombs at his ex-wife, or Bobby slide solo's, or a version of Trucking made from multiple Trucking' flubs strung together, or just 3 discs of dead air from between all the songs of an entire tour from, say, '83.
user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

That harmonica player was Sammy Piazza; he used to show up once in a while for a few JGB's gigs at Keystone Berkeley, back in '78.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Whoops-I think I should explain that I deleted a comment on my last post this morning, saying that someone had shouted at me from a car yesterday calling me "Ziggy Stardust". You obviously saw this=posted your joke, which I hadn't seen before deleting my own comment. Which rendered your own comment a bit weird! Incidentally, I don't wear a jump suit or have a thunderbolt on my face-although I am surrounded by Earthlings here in Suffolk-hence the compliment yesterday!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 1 month

I wrote an ode to that fateful October 1978 Day... you know the one, Bucky Dent, Lou Pinella... I was crushed as Yaz popped out for the final out AGAIN (just like in 75). When my teacher handed it back, she had circled my spelling of Nettle's first name and written Greg in red (Nettles caught that last out). It was small, but sweet redemption to bring in the baseball card. Nettles did become the best homerun hitter in our Strato Matic league.
user picture

Member for

17 years

Just posted by Mat Brewster calling it the unfinished studio sessions on Midnight cafe. I will listen to any version of So many Roads https://themidnightcafe.org/2018/05/21/lossless-bootleg-bonanza-gratefu… Where is David Duryea anyway??? The track listing is: 1. Lazy River Road (Garcia/Hunter) 6:01 2. Easy Answers (Hunter.Bralove/Weir/Welnick/Wasserman) 6:23 3. So Many Roads (Garcia/Hunter) 5:19 4. Wave To The Wind (Lesh/Hunter) 7:22 5. Eternity (Weir/Dixon) 7:20 6. The Days Between (Garcia/Hunter) 9:56 7. Way To Go Home (Welnick/Hunter/Bralove) 7:05 8. Corinna (Weir/Hart/Hunter) 9:33 9. Liberty (Garcia/Hunter) 6:00 Total Time 64.58 From Rolling Stone, Apr 20, 1998 Although it’s common knowledge that the Grateful Dead were in the midst of recording when Jerry Garcia died almost three years ago, former keyboardist Vince Welnick shed more light on the unfinished album in a recent conversation with the Rolling Stone Network. According to Welnick, the album was set to include such tour-tested songs as “Liberty,” “So Many Roads,” “Days Between,” “Samba in the Rain,” “Way To Go,” “Corrina,” and “Easy Answers,” but Garcia passed away before the tracks could be completed. “We had just about finished the basics when Jerry checked out,” Welnick said. “It’s a shame, because we spent a lot of time in there.” Although the studio tapes from the Grateful Dead’s would-be swan song are still around, Welnick doubts that the album can be salvaged. “There weren’t even working vocals on some of the songs. There was also very little guitar. If they wanted to make something of it, they’d probably have to splice in something from one of the show tapes.” Grateful Dead spokesman Dennis McNally denied that anything will ever come of the album. “Only [Grateful Dead guitarist] Bobby [Weir] ever thought that anything could be done, but it can’t. Jerry didn’t contribute to it. Everyone else contributed to it, but Jerry just wasn’t with it. There’s not even a title, to my knowledge.” ISAAC JOSEPHSON Received this from Mike Maher Where is David Duryea anyway???
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 10 months

I think his first name was Will, not Sammy. Can't recall last name. Not at home, so I can't access my Hot Tuna album to see the credits. Could be wrong though.
user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

Hockey jerseys are supposed to be oversized.
user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

May the ticket you miracle always be counterfeitMay the encore you hear always be Day Job May the only era you listen to be '95 May you wake up and one day and realize they're like any other band May the only song you hear be Wave to the Wind
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

from wiki: Born and raised in San Diego, California. Nettles' unusual first name derives from his mother's dislike of the names Greg and Craig – and her combining the two to produce "Graig." "My dad was away at the war, so he didn't have any say."[1] The name also led to confusion for baseball card companies; the error-prone inaugural 1981 Fleer baseball card set includes an error card where his name is spelled "Graig" on the front, and "Craig" on the back. I don't see how combining two names you dislike makes the result any better, but anyhoo..... 40 years after you misspelled it on your paper in 1978 and you're STILL spelling it wrong - LOL :)
user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

Ha! Right, it's Will Scarlet...Sammy was the drummer later on.
user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

I wonder what show has been selected for the 27th issue of this wonderful release series know as Dave's Picks? My prediction is that we'll have to wait until sometime after Monday July 9th when Dave reveals the selected show. Also Dave's Picks 28...
user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

I wonder what show has been selected for the 27th issue of this wonderful release series know as Dave's Picks? Right now I'm listening to a show that happened on a 27th - 10/27/73 The Indiana State Fair Coliseum, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA Set 1: Promised Land Sugaree Mexicali Blues Loser Black Throated Wind They Love Each Other Jack Straw Ramble On Rose El Paso Brown-Eyed Women Greatest Story Ever Told Loose Lucy Beat It On Down The Line China Cat Sunflower I Know You Rider Set 2: Me And My Uncle Bertha Me And Bobby McGee Tennessee Jed Playin' In The Band Mississippi Half-Step Big River Playin' In The Band He's Gone Truckin' Nobody's Jam Wharf Rat Stella Blue Sugar Magnolia Encore: Uncle John's Band (via The Setlist Program) My prediction is that we'll have to wait until sometime after Monday July 9th when Dave reveals the selected show. Does Bolo24 know? Does David Duryea know? Where is that Deadhead lad anyway? I am very happy to hear that our good ol Doc is making a good recovery. On the date he said that it happened, I felt something odd/weird had happened. It could have been that, as I am a recipient of Doc's generosity of 1971 (and '72) Also Dave's Picks 28...
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....you don't understand AJS. It's an XXXL. It's tent material. I'm tall and lanky. No Bueno.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Beautiful version of this song you posted-thanks. I once saw Patti Smith reading poetry at St James Church in Piccadilly, London as part of a celebration of the poetry of William Blake. After describing her vision of Blake walking through the fields of London she slipped into this song, backed by a single acoustic guitar. It was at Christmas time, and when I looked up at the stained glass windows, I could see snow falling outside. Magical. Also, David Bowie used the melody of this song for the chorus of "Starman".
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 10 months

Iz has become sort of a treasured legend in Hawaii is my understanding. Died early, probably from health issues if you can imagine by seeing him. William Blake - good taste. Now, I'm off to enjoy another afternoon in the tropics...
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

of an old Golden Road fanzine thing that Blair Jackson did he wrote of a Twilight Zone episode, where a speedfreak's stereo played only "It Must've Been the Roses" I thought you liked WTTW, TM
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 1 month

I had it right in 78...time, eyesight and typing on my phone did me in this time around. Damn Yankees.
user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

stoltzfus I do like wave to the wind. I pretty much like everything. these curses I made up are based on comments I see in here and read on the archive. I was laughing the whole time I made those.
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

7 pieces of bacon....Slathered with popcorn butter, which is why it’s being promoted at MUATM.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....in response to born cross-eyed's post, at 3:30 AM on August 9th, 1995, I was awoken from sleep with a fear of dread. I called my parents. They were ok. Later on that fateful day however....to this day, I still awake at 3:30 at times for no apparent reason.
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

Happy Birthday Vguy72. I'm pulling for your Golden Knights even though I too have been become increasingly less interested in pro sports. Most of it and the surrounding hoopla just seems overdone, overhyped, and too much WWE styled theatrics. Motorsports and a sliver of college hoops for me. The Grateful Dead because of the consistent releases and constant improvement of sound quality has me ringing that bell louder and louder as time marches on. It's been a growing obsession. Still waiting the arrival of new speakers and the set up of my new hifi. I'm dying to spin Dap26. It and Dicks latest vinyl sitting lonely, still in shrink wrap. Smoke signals from the factory lead me to believe it will be a joyous holiday weekend though. Box guess: fall '79. But I will be extatic with any box! cheers all, and good listening
user picture

Member for

17 years

May 21. On this date in Deadhead history: - In 1974, the Grateful Dead played another great show at the Hec. S. Edmundson Pavilion at University of Washington, Seattle, WA. Extraordinary feat of maintaining momentum and freshness over a 46:26 Playin’ (longest ever). - In 1977, the Grateful Dead played the Civic Center in Lakeland, FL. Good Scarlet > Fire and a nice sequence of Other One > Comes A Time > Stephen > NFA > Stephen. [Dick’s Picks 29: complete show except US Blues encore] - In 1982, the Grateful Dead played the Greek Theater in Berkeley, CA. First Set included fine Birdsong and Looks Like Rain. Second set was one continuous glorious jam, Playin' > UJB > Playin' Jam (super hot) > D/S > Wheel > Playin' > Black Peter > Sugar Mag - In 1992, the Grateful Dead played Cal Expo Amphitheatre in Sacramento, CA, a Rex Foundation benefit with Pharaoh Sanders. Good Maggie's Farm. Decent Scarlet > Fire. - In 1993, the Grateful Dead played the Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View, CA. - In 1995, the Grateful Dead played the Sam Boyd Silver Bowl in Las Vegas, NV with Dave Matthews Band. One of the better shows of the year. Unbroken Chain, Eyes > Corinna > Drumz > Spanish Jam > Other One > Days Between > Sugar Magnolia.
user picture

Member for

16 years 7 months

For those of you Graig Nettles fans out there I highly suggest reading Sparky Lyle's The Bronx Zoo. Nettles comes across as a very witty and clever guy, one of the heroes of a great baseball book. Oddly enough, he came out with his own book, Balls, a couple years later with the same ghost writer Sparky had but it just didn't have the same magic.
user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

What a month of music. 5/2/70 -- The Allman Brothers Band from Swarthmore College in PA. Nice complement to my stash of April 71 shows from small colleges in Pennsylvania that I might have gone to in an alternate universe (4/10/71, 4/14/71, 4/15/71). Sound is a little rough, but the band smokes. There's some funny stage banter around the time that about half the (already small) crowd leaves for a meeting to plan out their next war protest. Kent State happened two days later. If anyone wants a copy hit me up. 5/3/86. Arguably the worst show in the 30 Trips Box, which means it's still pretty damn good. 5/4/79. RSD release. Some folks awhile back were discussing this one in one of our vinyl threads. So of course I went and bought it. Its okay, as a vinyl release goes. The show is chopped up to fit on 2 LPs which annoys me . The sound is fine, but there's a Charlie Miller board available on the archive which includes 50% more songs and sounds 75% as good for 100% less money. I would recommend this only to people who don't have wifi or just want to collect everything that gets released. 5/5/77. I really like this one. Unsung hero of the GSTL box. A 1st set Sugaree for the ages, and a fantastic Scarlet / Fire that primes the pump for the transcendent Cornell version three days later. 5/6/80 and 5/7/80. Not sure why TPTB needed to butcher these up for the Road Trips. There are sweet auds in the archive for both nights, both rocking, rollicking shows. 5/6 opens with Alabama Getaway, and 5/7/ closes with Alabama Getaway. Almost as if they were planning it to be released as a box set someday. 5/8/77 and 5/9/77. There's nothing I can say about these that hasn't been covered already. Just WOW. Still in the queue is a Doors Show from Cobo Hall, Detroit, 5/8/70. Some of this is on prior Doors releases (Alive, She Cried and Absolutely Live) but this is the whole thing. They defiantly played an hour longer than they were supposed to and were banned from Cobo Hall afterwards I'm still only in the single digits for the month, and its the 22nd already and the June 77 Winterland box has started its whisper campaign. Speaking of the 22nd, if anyone needs the 'rest of' DP3, here it is https://themidnightcafe.org/?s=05%2F22%2F77 And I can't forget Doc. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. You're one of the rock stars of this board and we miss you and all of your "faculties". Peace out. RDG
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 4 months

The Cobo Hall cd is excellent. I bought that one years back when The Doors started their Bright Midnight Records cd archive releases and that Detroit show is very, very good. I never did get around to Seeing The Doors resurrection as The Doors of The Twenty First Century or Riders on the Storm but have listened to some nice bootlegs from DimeaDozen. They were very good. it is nice to hear new life breathed into those old Doors songs. They added a bass player and sometimes another drummer or percussionist from the video clips that I watch here and there. Good stuff.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

A belated thumbs up for Bickershaw-another great show form Europe 72. I was specifically struck on this set by the excellent sound of Jerry's strat-it seemed more evident to me on this show than previous ones from the tour for some reason. This show is also great for having all 4 of my favourite song/jams from 72-Playin', China-Rider, Dark Star and The Other One. The Dark Star seems a bit muted-in comparison to others on the tour, tailing off after a mere 19 minutes or so-but The Other One is full of raging beauty. I also like the Lovelight. In fact, 1972 may be my favourite year for this song. It benefits from being a bit shorter- just over 13 minutes -than earlier versions. The 38 minute version on Dave Picks 19 -23rd Jan 1970 is waaaay too much for me. But the 1972 versions seem just right. They also seem a bit more country orientated - they remind me a bit of the post Duane Allman Brothers Band. The gold standard Lovelight from 1972 is still the one played at Frankfurt on 26th April-but this one here is pretty good.
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Thx shirdeep and others who have posted about this show. It is an all-time favorite of mine. I can still recall being VERY VERY surprised to receive this for Christmas one year (was it '94 or '95?) not knowing at all that they had released the 3rd Dick's Picks. Remember that back then, there was no internet, and I think the way I at least heard about all of this stuff was from the physical newsletter they used to mail out, which I do remember was very well done, quite colorful, on very nice paper stock, etc. Anyway, I recall getting this on Christmas and it was like, my most favorite present of the entire day (a CD!). It was the pure bliss of (A) not even knowing they were up to "3" already; (B) my mother somehow having the wherewithal to know to go look for this and actually purchase it; and (C) just looking at the setlist (even despite the unbeknownst-to-me track-hack) gave me goosebumps and invoked butterflies in my stomach 'cause it seemed to include SO MANY OF MY FAVORITES!! Back then I didn't have a whole lot of official GD shows other than various gen tapes, so this show definitely blew me away. And it absolutely stands the test of time: I mean, all in one show you get a Music Never Stopped to kick it off, perhaps one of the best (IMHO, THE BEST) Sugarees evah; a Lazy Lightnin'> Supplication; a Disco Dancin'; a Help>Slip>Franklin's; An Estimated>Eyes; a Wharf Rat>Terrapin (INSPIRATION!)>Epic Dew. It's literally ALL THERE. My socks were knocked off. They still remain So. Sixtus
user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

I bought this 3 disc release when it was released in 2007. I was expecting a nice polished Absolutely Live type of recording. After a few listens as a new release, I came to believe that Jim Morrison was a nut-case on stage. The 4th time around in my imagination, John Densmore stops drumming and gets off this CD, wiggles though my stereo system and comes out of my speakers with two cymbals and crashes them within an inch of my face, quickly puts them down, smacks me across my face with his left hand and screams loudly, "JIM IS A GREAT MAN WITH GREAT STAGE PRESENCE!" In short, I didn't think too much of this release. It still sits in my collection. I used to have all The Doors vinyl back in the day, but the compact disc format via the Grateful Dead, told me to get rid of almost all my vinyl. However, Morrison had a beautiful baritone voice that has never been truly equaled in rock music, in my opinion. The sound of his voice is still fine gold to my ears. A true classic, a true jem. I think it's time to rediscover The Doors Live In Boston (Bright Midnight/Rhino R2 216124) again. And/or, track down a copy of the Cobo Hall 4/8/70 show and do that too. I'll thank deadegad for the suggestion.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 4 months

I read that this show was one of those in which Uncle JimBo was drunk and pushing the envelope. Many of the 1970 cd shows, however, have Jim in fine form. This Boston show documents one of their nuttier shows. It is a shame we do not have more 1967/68/69 shows in good quality - bummer. The Cobo Hall Detroit show is indeed solid.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 4 months

I remember when a friend first told me about his first listening of it at the time it was released. He was blown away! So was I when I heard it. My friend wanted to call out sick from work just to keep listening.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....the 3+ minutes of Jerry noodling between Eyes and Wharf Rat is really a song of it's own....and then it goes full on Garcia with Terrapin and Morning Dew. Sploosh!! It was a favorite release for quite some time. Duh. It still is....
user picture

Member for

13 years 1 month

The Doors sidebar conversation is interesting. I've been on a live Doors kick for weeks. I know Jerry was not impressed with Jim Morrison, but I always thought he was great -- thoughtful, poetic, entertaining, sometimes dangerous. What more could you ask for? He was also unique for his time, and inspired many imitators. The contrast between the Live at the Hollywood Bowl DVD and the one from Isle of Wight is like night and day. The first is typically animated and edgy and the latter is stoic and still thundering. Some of the Bright Midnight CD releases are wild too, including the aforementioned Boston show. Definitely check out the Aquarius Theatre rehearsal disc for unhinged glory. Over and out.
user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

The speed on this Mexicali Blues on this release is jacked up. I want to play this again but I keep putting off 1/23/70 or whatever that Hawaii show date is. decisions, decisions. thankful I have the ability to be in this situation for now.
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

Dick's 3 is certainly in that sweet spot. I remember gifting this one, and sometime earlier Live Without a Net to my older brother for birthdays. I didn't have many tape boots. My main GD source was dead hour recordings from WMMR, a few studio release cassette tapes, and a couple of tape boots. While in college Hundred Year Hall CD appeared and it was my prized audio possession for a while to come. That furious pace of Hundred Year Hall's Trucking' and Lovelight would echo in my head for years. And still does from time to time.
user picture

Member for

17 years

First and foremost, our hearts are with the good Doctor....as we all age, shit happens, but that kinda shit be surreal. As in full frontal death knock, knock, knocking on....be well Sir! 10 min before the 8-1-18 movie, WTF? Hate to be out right negative within these hallowed electronic walls of love and understanding, ahem, but LAME! I mean isn’t there something in the Geneva convention about torturing poor souls...that’s like 3 months just for the announcement. My only guess as it is before 7-2-89 show, 20 years after the tour, they have multi track, and just in time for the holidaze, is that it’ll be a fall 89 or perhaps summer, hell maybe they’ll break out some video..... Naaaahhh. SPORTS; was a full on sports junky, playing, watching whatever. In high school though, was not technically a jock. Hung out equally with heads, jocks, weirdos and geeks, never limited myself. Of course that goes against the grain, “gotta belong to sumthin’”...whatever, when the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro! Until your coach wispers in the ears of all your teammates to not vote you for MVP, and 2 or 3 guys make the varsity team that I could totally outplay (one a fellow teachers kid, ahem)...they tell me I can practice and travel like a full team member, but not enough uniforms etc....yeah ok, or I can work after school to bye JBL E 120s, Fender Twin Reverb, and McIntosh MC 2300 (used of course I was only 17...) so a, that’s when R&R finally became top dog in my life and has been on up there most of the ride since. You know over the years sports has had some of the hardest let downsize life, but the Dead, rarely! Even on a meh night, it was still awesome.....Guess that’s why other things come and go through life, but not the Good ol’ &$-%*5# GD!!! It’s funny how so many here say the same things “the older we get, the more not so into sports or what not, but we listen to more Dead” ; ) Been listening to too much Dead. Now hold on, don’t get ur knickers in a bind...I mean compared to other stuff, need the balance,.... but haven’t had much music time in general, and so much good anniversary shows in May......like 5-17-81! Listened a few times to the Nassau release, great, but the Syracuse 81 ooooowweeee....finally heard all 3-13-81 also. Bits and shards of the 77s, and a few of the mighty DS 72s, for medicinal purposes only....also still backgrounding DaP 26, sweet. But also, been digging on Idris Muhhomed, Van the Man, Brand X Moroccan roll, Wes Montgomery, Dread Zepplin, and??a huh huh, aaaaa? Brain fart.... Ok, finally, all I want for boxmass is.... The rest of winter 73; Boston through Fla....DS!! Fall 73 with the horns etc Rest of Fall 89 Perhaps some more 81, maybe another Daves? Eventually some more of KC inaugural fall 71 tour (and/or winter) And someday, someway a flrickin’ summer 85. Sppuuuuuusssss raspberries to you 80s haters,...you know who you are; )
user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

Does anyone else achieve a satisfying feeling of synergy when the car cabin temperature is set for the same number as is the vintage of GD on the stereo? e.g. 72
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

I always set the temp for what I am listening to (more importantly what I am in the mood to listen too..) Too funny. Yes.. I am guilty as charged. Lock me up. On a sidebar.. our favorite (I can only assume) retired English Professor is missing. My hope is that he is just on an extended vacation with Bolo. D. Duryeau.. don't drink anything when on holiday with Bolo. Think pure thoughts and suck on a stone, but don't drink anything. Where are you David D.? As for Bolo.. I can only hope he is enjoying some sake and not being tortured by Chechens at this very moment. But then again, I know better. My favorite-long distance, heat of the summer car temp? Simple. 1973.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

..but I am sick of the royal wedding. Enough of farging royalty already... I'm much happier listening to Stoltzfus rants. The best I can do is rock Bickershaw.. very loud. will that do?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Hopefully "Drinkin' TNT..." has now made it safely into your hands, and you are already listening to this Blues nirvana for the second time around... Just a word of advice though...put it somewhere where you know you will always be able to find it again, because it has a tendency to hide from you just when you want it the most, especially after you tell your special guests that you have a special Blues album you want them to hear... Always remember, Daverock, "Drinkin' TNT" wants to get back to its masters... And, speaking of masters, I know you are probably familiar with this one, but I was listening tonight and really digging it all over again, but in a most profound way, like I was a Sleestak with a bag of crystals in The Land Of The Lost, LOL!... One of the candidates for best Blues albums ever, Freddie King's "Texas Cannonball." Damn, what a great album, flows like Hot Sauce at a Honky Tonk... (OK, I'm drunk and just made that saying up, pretty good though, maybe it will catch on, LOL!)... Seriously though, this is a great album! Here: Only the first track is an A-, every other track after is an A++ Listen to the whole thing (not you, Daverock, I know you've heard it already), if you dare...
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Yes, it arrived yesterday-and is as superb as you say. The whole band is great-Buddy Guys guitar playing is beautiful-but Junior Wells harp playing is spot on too. Nice slide guitar in the background as well. As I said, my copy came with a dvd. It features Buddy Guy/Junior Wells tracks form the cd-then has 4 songs by Muddy Waters, backed by the same band. The songs are "Hoochie Coochie Man", "Manish Boy", "The Same Thing" and "Got My Mojo Working". Muddy is at his magisterial best, but Buddy is very definitely in a supporting role. The only song in which he solos is "Same Thing". I definitely enjoyed the cd more than the dvd. No, believe it or not I have never heard "Texas Cannonball"! The Freddie King I have is a cheap compilation of his early sides, featuring the well known instrumentals, and a box set form Bear Records, called "Texas Flyer". This is a beautiful set- all Bear Records box sets are-featuring a hard backed book with excellent photographs and information on the recordings. The recordings are all from 1974-1976, and are spread across 5 cds. The first one and a half feature the studio recordings and the remainder are all live tracks. The first studio album featured is called "Burglar". So-it seems I have inadvertently missed out on a key album when it comes to Freddie King! The next blues album I was going to get is that one recommended on here called "Jammed Together"-Albert King, Steve Cropper and Pop Staples. The only tracks I have heard on here are "Water" and the incredible Pop Staples led "Tupelo".
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Yes, that will do. Bickershaw was far more culturally important than the Royal Wedding.
user picture

Member for

15 years 1 month

In addition to wishing best to all regarding health issues, etc, I point out to any who may be interested the Tapers Section for this week, particularly the first part, 5/3/69 Sierra College Pop Festival. Reason I point it out is for non-musical reasons. It seems Phil has broken a string and Jerry and Bob fill the time with some banter. I like tapes like that because it's so unusual to hear any speech. I can tell you that in the GD and Jerryband shows I went to (about 45 in all) I never heard Jerry say anything...except on 10/31/92 at Oakland Coliseum for a JGB show when he said "How y'all doin'?" or words to that effect just after the first song. So it's cool to hear Jerry talking about "hassling", and Bob gets to tell a story. Oroborous - wow, Brand X! I'm going to dig some of that out now. Thanks for the reminder. Does anyone remember that song "That's Your Secret" by Sea Level? That's what I sing to myself every time the car in front of me turns without using a turn signal - "That's your secret....keep it, keep it". Rock on.
product sku