• 2,395 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• cheyler196
    Default Avatar
    I was wondering what the solution might be to this problem. If the bonus disc came with the edits necessary to re-assemble the show in the correct running order, it would be difficult to listen to it 'as-is'. Re-assembling the show from the disc as-released also makes for difficult listening. Listening to the show out-of-sequence is OK but not optimum. The only real solution is to make the files available digitally. Give a unique one-use download code to each purchaser and allow the download of the files with the necessary edits. Given the limited nature of the releases and the speed at which they sell out, this couldn't possibly affect sales and would definitely reduce the complaining.
  • alvarhanso
    What a fantastic show and fantastic recording! Combine this and DaP 21 4/2/73, and Rex has two of the best sounding tapes released. And the performance matches the pristine recording here more than 21, IMO. The Other One (both halves) have great jams, Wharf Rat is a strong '71 version, NFA> GDTRFB> NFA is ridiculously raucous, and we get almost an entire other show as a bonus! This is the Pick of the year for me so far. 25 is a good show with three truly great renditions of songs, the first two, and second set closer, otherwise a good show. This show SMOKES and the bonus is a good show; the best aspect of it is the side by side comparison one has for Keith lineup and Keith and Pig, with nearly identical setlist choices.
  • Mind-Left-Body
    This is a great recording.
  • Born Cross Eye…
    This thread is quieting down after the announcements of the North West Pacific 73-74 box and Dave's Picks 27. I suspect it be removed from public view like the threads for Dave's Picks 17 thru 24 have been taken down, away from public view.Yet, at this posting I can read the threads for DaP 13 - 16. Why?
  • icecrmcnkd
    I’ll need some L-Dopa, 5-HT, NE, and BDNF to process
  • Born Cross Eye…
    Well, I was wrong as were the 70's *mafia*
    I don't recall seeing any calls for an 80's show on these two comment boards - this DaP 26 or the NW '73 - '74 box comments boards. Oh well, no big deal. I used to have this 9/2/83 as an audience tape set and a fine one to boot. I got rid of it (and many other GD tapes) when I was downsizing in the mid 2000's during a move from one domicile to another. A very good show, if I recall correctly.
  • mbarilla
    F%CK YES The GODS have spoken September 2, 1983 excited for this release and a few in particular LLR ~ Deal plus Estimated Eyes and Throwing Stones, really all of it but especially interested in these a few weeks back i pulled out Dicks Picks 6 Smoking hot "They LOve Each Other" ~ Estimated Eyes this one is going to be a HEATER , time for a stroll with Mary Jane cool cover art for number 27, number 26 was awesome artwork too , looks great while sun was sinking low
  • Mr. Jack Straw
    Default Avatar
    http://www.dead.net/store/music/new-releases/daves-picks-volume-27
  • mbarilla
    Would love a show from this year, if the Rhinos go with 1983 performance I wouldn't be surprised if it's 10.17.83 from Lake Placid, New York 1983 - 1984 release would be near the top of my request list , March and April have some gems
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 8 months

The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

6 years 1 month

I put on Big Rock Pow-Wow for May 23 day. How funny is it when the guy who announces the band calls them the best group in the universe, and the Dead Boos him??? I'm still rolling on the floor laughing. The good old Grateful Dead.
user picture

Member for

17 years

Yeah, enough all ready. It’s kind of disgusting....my wife’s like “look at the hat” or look at her dress etcetcetc, meanwhile all I see is a whole bunch of money getting pissed away that could feed thousands of people or provide clean water.....the irony is much of the royal wealth came from the disenfranchised in the first place....but I shall stop because I don’t mean to be offensive and there is that sound of “ism” in the air.... My idea of English royalty is the cosmic Dark Star et. el., from 4-8-72!! although a good stoltzfus rant can be regal too ; )
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Royalty is right. What a show..
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

re: Royal Wedding... My wife is a Brit - didn't set foot in the U.S. until she was an adult, and even she only watched the wedding for about 5 minutes, then went to the gym! The royal family is basically the british version of the Kardashians: Clueless rich people who do nothing but bask in public adulation and curiosity over their every move. Pembroke 1977 - Agreed, Sixtus, this show is amazing. Songlist bingo! Certainly the meatiest listening experience given they passed over the B-list songs (except Sunrise) to fit it on 2 CD's. The only blemish its the barely perceptible patch in the Help On the Way solo. And yes that Garcia noodle into Wharf Rat is enjoyable - this was the peak of the sharp-cheddar "your band's Guitar God's gotta step forward and wank for a bit" era. I don't think Jerry was very comfortable with it given that it happened very infrequently, but (for guitar geeks like me) it's interesting to hear his full-voiced guitar tone by itself. Without the band wailing away behind him you can hear every nuance of his playing, including the harmonics and gradual decay of each heavily-reverbed note. Cool stuff....
user picture

Member for

17 years

Apparently said Royal wedding cost a mere $45,000,000. Royal family paid for the wedding itself and the poor taxpayers only had to pay for the security (which was about $40,000,000 of that $45,000,000).
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....dollars or pounds? Who cares. Yawn.
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

what a waste of money, the rich suck in that aspect of wasting money on nothing, they could have donated that amount to anything else but a wedding. Who cares anyway? On a separate note, just read a review of the new band Saucerful of Secrets, Nick Mason's new endeavor. What a set list, playing all the old Syd songs in a small venue, must have been so cool. Check it out, would love to see this band. See Emily Play.
user picture

Member for

15 years 5 months

Interesting thread on the blues. There is so much good stuff out there. My favorite of the Kings is by far Albert King. He was so smooth and could get funky when he wanted. BB King is highly overrated, IMHO. Buddy Guy's Stone Crazy is essential listening for any guitar fans-- absolutely Buddy's very best. I think I have seen Buddy Guy more times than any other artist, though I stopped seeing him in recent years as his live schtick finally ran its course with me. True story here: I mostly would see Buddy play in Milwaukee, Madison or his Chicago club in the 1990s and early 2000s. If you have seen him play, you know he always does what me and my buds called 'Roamin' Buddy'-- going out in the crowd with his guitar and playing. He would always stop by me for some reason. In fall 2002, I am in Portland for a work conference and Buddy is playing a small theater there, so I go with a friend (that I met at the Alpine Valley Dead reunion shows). Buddy gets into his Roamin' Buddy and somehow finds me and I swear to you, does a double take-- like WTF are you doing out here on the west coast? My friend even asked me, "What was that look he gave you?" Magic Sam Blues Band is amazing-- Black Magic and West Side Soul are classics and without a weak spot. The under the radar guy that I will always preach from the mountaintop, however, is Luther Allison. I have seen many concerts in my 30+ years of concert-going and he put on, hands-down, the best show I ever saw. His albums are great, but that live show was something else (get Live in Chicago for a taste). I went by myself to the Eagles Ballroom in Milwaukee as nobody had heard of him in my group. I was free to roam around and loved it. The guy did a two-hour set and came back for an hour encore-- just blistering on guitar the entire time. I always say that is the only concert I have seen that the artist left it all out on the stage. Turns out he had tumors throughout his body and he died within two months of that gig. Amazing show. Dead content-- I haven't chimed in on this release. I like it-- the piano is really nice and while the setlists are similar between the two gigs, they are definitely two different shows with separate vibes. Pig's keys in The Other One from Ann Arbor-- love 'em.
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

To be fair (and to balance my Kardashian comment) I've looked at the cost of the royal family over the years and the security costs of $45Mil is a bit one-sided. The royal family (even just the wedding) does bring in a ton of tourism revenue. I know a few people who went to London just to be in the same country during the ceremony and pageantry. The wedding generated a ton of revenue from TV rights, t-shirt sales, plane fares, hotels, catering, taxis, etc etc. From "The Atlantic", July 23, 2013: "The British tourism agency has reported that the royal family generates close to $767 million every year in tourism revenue, drawing visitors to historic royal sites like the Tower of London, Windsor Castle, and Buckingham Palace. Tourism is the third-biggest industry in the U.K. and supports about one in 12 jobs." Of course a "Royal cynic" could argue that most people would still visit all those sites regardless of any diamond-soled twats eating caviar upstairs.... But the existence of the royal family helps spur tourism income, and any measure of the cost of the royals needs to be balanced by the revenue they arguably generate. But they're still just Kardashians with British accents.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Yes, the cost of paying for security at the Royal Wedding was extortionate. And this in a year when cuts to law enforcement in London have contributed to record numbers of people, many of them children, being killed in a so called epidemic of knife crime in the capitol. There has been a disproportionate number of young black people being killed in these crimes. Also a bit sickening that they cleared the streets of homeless people before the wedding. I think they have been allowed back now.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Yes, I agree, Magic Sam was amazing. Both the albums mentioned by estimated-eyes are tremendous. Another great one is "Magic Sam Live", which features two live concerts. The first is in a club in October 1963, and the second is at The Ann Arbour Blues Festival in August 1969 The sound quality isn't all it might be-but the quality shines through. The version of "I Feel So Good" may just be the best application of THAT John Lee Hooker riff-Boogie Chillun- that I have ever heard.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

All 3 of King's albums on the Shelter label are good. If you love Freddie, like I do, they are all essential. The 3 are Getting Ready (awesome cover), Texas Cannonball, and Woman Across the Water.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 2 months

I’ve been in a late-era mood for the past week…some really great stuff that I haven’t listened to in a little while… 6/23/90 9/19/90 4/1/91 6/22/91 9/24/91 6/20/92 Quite a binge… If anyone wants any of these shows, just reach out
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

finally gave this a thorough listen. nice show. Jerry sounds like he is whispering the lyrics.
user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

I have decided that I really don't need to be kvetching over what will the next release be, and when will the announcement come, that instead, I can use this time to go over some releases that time doesn't always allow me to. With that in mind, here are my last 5...... 12/26/79 (DP 5) 2/13-14/70 (DP 4) 8/7/82 (DP 32) 4/5-6/82 (RT 4.4) 8/25/72 (Da P 24) Enjoy your Holiday all, and thanks to all our veterans (past & present)!!
user picture

Member for

17 years

I was able to safely watch TV last Saturday due to the fact that the FA Cup Final (Football/Soccer for the uninitiated) was on the same day as that wedding. Just to confirm that I had my priorities right, in the evening I was also able to watch the German equivalent of the FA Cup Final, the DFB-Pokal Final, thus avoiding (almost) everything regarding that wedding. Hahaha - Chelsea beat Manchester United and Eintracht Frankfurt beat Bayern Munich.
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

Cousins, every time I see your name, I hear in my mind the David Bowie song... "Sons of the silent age" it just happens.
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

i just wanna bang on the drum all day or my lyrics I just wanna listen to grateful dead all day WORK SUX
user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

Must be the Sons of the Pioneers reference in my name.I had to check that song out, very nice; not familiar with post-Ziggy Bowie, but I like this.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Now royalties on the other hand would be great if they were being paid to me.But instead I just contribute to the royalties that are being paid to GOGD. Case in point, just received a copy of 5-8-77 vinyl, even though I already have 2 copies of GSTL (will sell one at cost, PM me). As with the other vinyl I have recently purchased, Phil’s bass sounds fuller than the CD version. I think I need bigger and better speakers to fully appreciate the depth of bass on vinyl. I have a subwoofer, but sometimes the Bose 301’s vibrate a bit when Phil is rockin’.
user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

I have an on-line music streaming subscription that has an awesome selection of albums. So I have been browsing tons of titles and I want some help.I bought Pink Floyd's Ummagumma when it was released and really tried to like it but couldn't. Put it away and I haven't been interested in Pink Floyd since. That was 48 years ago. At the time I was listening to Bitches Brew, Ornette, Trane, Zappa, and the Dead. Along with all the other usual suspects. Beatles. Stones. Hendrix. Etc etc etc. My request is now with their albums available to me which couple should I listen too to give these guys a chance. Knowing my tastes. Thanks.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....i assume that's what you meant. Wish You Were Here and Atom Heart Mother. I would start there, knowing my tastes....
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Meddle is pretty good, lots of folks like Animals. Dogs and Pigs Three Different Ones are good tunes. Ummagumma is a weird one.. you started there? I personally don't like The Wall all that much, but I guess it has a couple good tunes. I like the lap steel guitar on a couple tunes on The Division Bell. High Hopes comes to mind. I get the feeling you have heard more of Dark Side of the Moon than you admit.. It's a classic albeit a bit overplayed. I like a few of the Gilmour solo tours too.. Live at the Royal Albert Hall is quite good as is Live at Gdansk. Love the Floyd..
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Half of ummagumma is a live recording and half is studio. The live is awesome, the studio can put you to sleep if it’s not your cup of tea, and I expect that’s the case with you. Vguy’s suggestion of Atom Heart Mother will probably have the same effect on you. I suggest Obscurred By Clouds, as it has a lot of short songs that are filled with lyrics. Then I suggest Animals which has 3 really long songs with not a lot of lyrics. And it’s awesome!!!!!!
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

Meddle (Echoes...wonderful lysergic experience at the Oregon coast with that)Ummagumma Piper at the Gates of Dawn Animals
user picture

Member for

17 years

I love Floyd, but with that list no wonder you didn’t get around to some things...Niiiice WISH YOU WERE HERE! Dark Side is a nice perhaps slightly more accessible, popular, aaa, whatever, and there are some great wierd ones to, but Welcome to the Machine and Shine on You Crazy Diamond on W.Y.W.H. are must listens. If you can, sequence Shine on parts 1+2 in order. I love to do Welcome, then parts 1+2, or Welcome after, and skip the hits sometimes..... Not too familiar with the old stuff? Got Animals finally, a few years ago, took a little more work, but it’s grown on me. The Wall, it’s actually a great album, it just got played to death, and in our adolescent circles it seamed kind of ???, not pop sellout, but not as much like the good old wierd stuff....? Would love to hear other comments here about The Wall, or Floyd in general....
user picture

Member for

17 years

Stoltzfus, ever wonder what Bill the drummer says if he has days like that? “I don’t want to work, I just ???”
user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

And all this time I thought British royalty meant Clapton, Beck, and Page... I suppose Keith and David Gilmour need to be on that list as well. In the fall of 1979 I had just turned 11 and I went into Musicland at my local mall and bought a cassette copy of The Wall. The college-age dudes behind the counter got a real kick out of this young kid coming in and buying a new Pink Floyd album. I have been incredibly blessed by music, what with having young parents still into the Stones, the Beatles and The Who (not so much the Dead) from my birth in 1968 all through the seventies. When the Rolling Stones' "Some Girls" came out, my Dad and I would fight over the one copy in the house. I digress... I used to listen to The Wall camping, in my room at night, on the way to school, etc. It made an indelible impression on me... the trendy rock songs with great guitar were/are still my favorite, but listening to that album was like listening to a movie and way before drugs, this really expanded my headspace. Eras of Floyd are like eras of the Dead, they each have their talking points. I think the fans here pretty much have it nailed - the Shine On You Crazy Diamond suites are beyond epic. I like the happy little ditty, San Tropez off Meddle. The last thing Gilmour put out, featuring Rick Wright, The Endless River, very much sounds like classic Pink Floyd. David's recent release, Live at Pompeii is stunning - run out and buy the blu-ray now. Dave is digging in to these solos and singing as well as he has in years. I've seen Waters a bunch the last few go-rounds as well. Genius that he is, he's prickly, kind of icy. David Gilmour's warm heart just undeniably comes through in every note he plays and sings. Kind of like Jerry.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

I was always anti-Waters until I saw him last fall. Now I'm a convert. Sounds familiar, doesn't it? I do not like him Sam I am... I guess I was a little harsh on the Wall.. sort of like In The Dark to me, it's better than perhaps I give credit but the fact that it did so well commercially dulls the buzz. Nice write-up Led. I do really like Fat Old Sun off Atom Heart Mother. It's a Gilmore classic.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

I have enjoyed the releases from the Vault since they started. Comparing the 50th anniversary to present day, I am pickled with 2016 to present, simply because they have exceeded expectations since the big year. I enjoy 30 trips, it is spectacular.. but costly and I did not dig they way the marketed Fare Thee Well. Ok.. I did really like Dave's Picks 16, the final DaP of the year and I think the first release from the returned reels. 2016 started off with a bang, starting with a great 74, then the July 78 box set. 2017 was also wowwie and we got the apex of May '77 which although was sort of expected.. when it finally arrived I thought wow.. they pulled it off. Both years had one release with mixed reviews.. but I think that is part of the formula from here on out. Still, it's the Dave's Picks series that have really kicked ass. I doubt if this level of kick-assness can be sustained forever. The influx of new reels is candy for the ears and mind. Yes.. 2015 was better but we paid for it. The last two years simply exceeded expectations, both at a lower costs and some real gems and surprises. To me.. it's just as much fun as the very beginning and (almost) just as good. Scratch that.. with the exception of Harpur College it might just be just as good. This might be controversial.. opposing thoughts are welcome. Who the hell am I am anyway.. just another jackwad that loves music, life and has a usually flawed opinion. Who is David Duryeau and Kayak Guy anyway and why do people keep mentioning their names. Gainesville? Ok.. riding high on a personal story.. an old friend rang my doorbell today and I got quite the invite. Hard boating with hottie female whitewater royalty. Just got a text.. It looks as though tomorrow I'll do pretty much the same. Life is smiling.. I might as well embrace it. I mean.. both days, I am the only guy with an all female, cutting edge team doing some really hard shit. British royalty has nothing on us in the backwoods of WV. It doesn't hurt that it has rained almost every day for the last month. The creeks are pumping. Doesn't really relate to the GD except that it's pretty much all I listen to when I boat, so it ties in quite nicely to the GD, at least to me.
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

Floyd's themes and lyrical content I think should be listened to in order. There is a distinct arc and progression of both content and emotion, listening out of order well to me, that is akin to reading a classic novel by random chapters. Love, loss, sanity, war, fear, family, friends who are no longer here, frustrations with the effects of capitalism and politics, floyd is some heavy stuff. They really feed one into another and taking parts out of context would most likely lessen the impact of some of the more subtle connections that exist from one album to the next. Some of the connections are not so subtle as in the trifecta of dark side, wish, and animals and then the wall. It is a near perfect representation of ascending from the glow and joy of youth to the reality and cynicism as a person realizes their idealism and oddity does not jibe with the societies at large and their art is used to commoditize a persons passion, inspiration and art. Days of lying supine in the sunshine transition to disconnect, fear and paranoia. But thats just my take, though waters and other band members has said as much in a number of different interviews. In case you can't tell my favorite 3 bands are GD, Floyd and TOOL. Though tool is usually for only the real psychonauts as most people just hear it and assume heavy metal. Its more like launching in the galaxies on a heavy ayahuasca trip but thats not usually for the faint of heart. Tool, Floyd, and Gd Have siginificant overlap if you can get past the different styles of presenting the music.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

My favourite Floyd era seems a bit different from everybody else's. To me, they were far and away at their best between 1966 and 1969-particularly when Syd Barret was at the helm. In the first few years, their sound was sculpted by Syd and Rick Wright, with Nick Mason providing great ticking clock like support on drums. Roger Waters, by his own admission was in it for the "birds and the booze" during those early years, which could be why he always puts the era down now in interviews. So, the best albums, for me, are "Piper at the Gates of Dawn"-the three disc version which includes the superior mono version, the recently released Early Years collection of discs 1965-1967, which includes singles and some priceless video clips of the band, Saucerful of Secrets and Ummagumma-the live tracks only-the studio ones aren't up to much. As Syd Barret and his influence receded into the distance and Rick Wright became marginalised, Dave Gilmour and Roger Waters steered the band into duller pastures. Stadium rock beckoned and they became one of the most successful bands of all time. But their best years were behind them. The Syd Barret solo albums, "Madcap Laughs" and "Barret" are also worth checking out-especially Madcap. Tool sound interesting.
user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

There are anniversaries, and there are anniversaries. Today marks the last time pig pen sang turn on your lovelight 46 years ago. In my humble opinion, this is the best love light. I think the streamlined versions that you get on the Europe 72 tour really showcase this song best. They only played it three times on this tour, and this is the only version that contains the doot doot doo arrangement that they played on many lovelights previously. Pig pens improvised vocals during this part are the best I've heard him do on this song. Tune in at 10:05. I'm also fond of saying that they jam like The Allman on these Europe 72 versions. You can check it out on either the Europe 72 box set or Rockin the rhein, where was included as a bonus track. Check it out, it's like one of those caramel macchiatos, it'll change your life.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

One of my favorite sleeper shows of the tour. I really like the four night Lyceum run. To listen to them as a suite of shows is a real treat. It's ridiculously good. In fact.. I have come to enjoy the less popular shows more than the mammoth ones. They contain more surprises mainly because they are on the roads less travelled. I do like this Lovelight.. The Lovelight>GDTRFB from Bickershaw is a treat too as mentioned earlier this week.
user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

Doc, best wishes on a full recovery. You're in my prayers. V Guy- happy belated birthday and congrats on your Golden Knights making the Cup finals. Hockey playoffs rule. Hope it goes 7. Jim, funny you mentioned Dave's 16- I was just listening to that one yesterday- it's a monster. Haven't listened to it in a while and it rocks. Love '73. I know it's blasphemy, but I haven't listened to Dave's 26 yet. My CD player at home is done as is the one in my car. I have to burn it to my wife's computer, which I will do tonight, and dive in over the long holiday weekend. From all the feedback on this here board, I am in for a hell of a good weekend. Been spending a whole bunch of time with vinyl lately. 2/27/69 is truly magic. Can't wait for the rest of the set to come out over the next few years. I also got the 140gram Cornell- missed the first pressing. Been listening to it late night after the wife and kids have gone to bed. What a treat. I'd probably give Buffalo the nod in that box, but damn that Dancin' is good. Bring on the Take a Step Back Box! Phil cracks me up on Dave's 25- I laugh every time I hear it. One last thing--> I haven't given a ton of listening time to the early 80s, but 5/23/82 from the Greek is a great show. I'd take this as a Dave's Pick any day: https://archive.org/details/gd82-05-23.sbd.gorinsky.5058.sbeok.shnf/gd1… Have a great weekend, y'all. And let's all remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice, so we can enjoy this beautiful country.
user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

Anybody has experience with Epiphone Riviera Jorma Kaukonen, or a 339 Pro(P90 or humbucker)? If so, please let me know your impressions. Thanks
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

If it didn't suck, they wouldn't have to pay you to be there! Remember, porn stars get paid!
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

For those around the Sandy Hook, NJ area - from a buddy. We found out that Donovan's Reef, a local Sea Bright bar 2 miles down the road from the beach house, has started what they call Tie Dye Tuesdays where they have a different Grateful Dead cover band playing every Tuesday of each month. Last night we saw the Cosmic Jerry Band there, a band that includes Mike and Jely Roll, the former lead guitar and bass players from the IDB Dead cover band that we've seen over the last couple years. Last night they were joined by lead guilarist/singer Mark Diomede, who plays with Dead cover bands Juggling Suns and Dead Reckoning, among others. Mike and Mark joined forces for some incredible guitar jams on some of the songs. Cosmic Jerry Band set lists: Set 1: Mission In The Rain, Ramble On Rose, Loser, Let It Grow, Don't Let Go, Bertha Set 2: Catfish John, Big Railroad Blues, Jack-A-Roe, Bird Song, Harder They Come. Set 3: Sugar Magnolia > Tore Up > The Golden Road (To Unlimited Devotion), Maggie's Farm > Cumberland Blues, Deal > Sunshine Daydream We'll be back at Donovan's Reef next week on Tie DyeTuesday to catch Dead Reckoning. . If you live around there, might be worth checking out.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I've never seen that face cover before, but Relics was the first Floyd album I bought. It was available on a budget label in the early 70s. Like many of my generation, this was like a gateway drug, pointing away from progressive rock back towards psychedelia.
user picture

Member for

7 years 7 months

I have had a chance to demo the 339 Pro w/ humbuckers and thoroughly enjoyed playing it. Very smooth neck and warm sound for such an affordable guitar. Epiphone can get a bad wrap but I really like a lot of their offerings. However, I ended up springing for the Ibanez AS93 and absolutely love it. The finish is gorgeous, pickups (Super 58 humbuckers) are super warm but articulate and handle a Tube Screamer nicely, and I got a deal on a hard case since I was a local buyer - check out Reverb.com if you are not familiar.
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Dark Side, yeah overplayed, but,,,, it still sound GREAT. Sure I can live with Money, but the rest,, that's some wow stuff. I am still wowed by the song Time. The "jam" between verse 2 and 3 is still amazing. You're left with a feeling of a much, much longer jam, you're left with a feeling of tripping balls, that you indeed have been sitting there for a whole day "So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking Racing around to come up behind you again. The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older, Shorter of breath and one day closer to death. " Words that carry a weight you felt at 25, but come really clear at 62. Animals, also great. With me, PF had great lyrics, I love in Dogs the vindictive(?) lyrics "And it's too late to lose the weight you used to need to throw around. So have a good drown, as you go down, all alone, Dragged down by the stone." Righteous indignation? Early stuff,,,, Careful with that axe eugene and set the controls. But surely in my book the pinnacle of the their work is "the wall"! Where do you go from up? How could you top that. Tommy? Quadrophenia? Fucking crap compared to the wall. The Wall is just the perfect match of lyrics and music. One example I've always loved is the alliteration of the line from "Goodbye Blue Sky" "Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? " (not too many songs get to use a word like "unfurled" :-)) The whole concept of the wall, the metaphorical (and physical building) of the wall, how we all build our own walls and live behind them. ( a little like Marley telling Scrooge, "`I wear the chain I forged in life, I made it link by link, and yard by yard; I girded it on of my own free will, and of my own free will I wore it. ... " Comes a time when a blind man takes your hand! Sorry for the prattle, Pink Floyd, a band for the ages.
user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

Thanks for the reply. There's one for $300 close to me, might pull the trigger...
product sku