• 2,395 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• cheyler196
    Default Avatar
    I was wondering what the solution might be to this problem. If the bonus disc came with the edits necessary to re-assemble the show in the correct running order, it would be difficult to listen to it 'as-is'. Re-assembling the show from the disc as-released also makes for difficult listening. Listening to the show out-of-sequence is OK but not optimum. The only real solution is to make the files available digitally. Give a unique one-use download code to each purchaser and allow the download of the files with the necessary edits. Given the limited nature of the releases and the speed at which they sell out, this couldn't possibly affect sales and would definitely reduce the complaining.
  • alvarhanso
    What a fantastic show and fantastic recording! Combine this and DaP 21 4/2/73, and Rex has two of the best sounding tapes released. And the performance matches the pristine recording here more than 21, IMO. The Other One (both halves) have great jams, Wharf Rat is a strong '71 version, NFA> GDTRFB> NFA is ridiculously raucous, and we get almost an entire other show as a bonus! This is the Pick of the year for me so far. 25 is a good show with three truly great renditions of songs, the first two, and second set closer, otherwise a good show. This show SMOKES and the bonus is a good show; the best aspect of it is the side by side comparison one has for Keith lineup and Keith and Pig, with nearly identical setlist choices.
  • Mind-Left-Body
    This is a great recording.
  • Born Cross Eye…
    This thread is quieting down after the announcements of the North West Pacific 73-74 box and Dave's Picks 27. I suspect it be removed from public view like the threads for Dave's Picks 17 thru 24 have been taken down, away from public view.Yet, at this posting I can read the threads for DaP 13 - 16. Why?
  • icecrmcnkd
    I’ll need some L-Dopa, 5-HT, NE, and BDNF to process
  • Born Cross Eye…
    Well, I was wrong as were the 70's *mafia*
    I don't recall seeing any calls for an 80's show on these two comment boards - this DaP 26 or the NW '73 - '74 box comments boards. Oh well, no big deal. I used to have this 9/2/83 as an audience tape set and a fine one to boot. I got rid of it (and many other GD tapes) when I was downsizing in the mid 2000's during a move from one domicile to another. A very good show, if I recall correctly.
  • mbarilla
    F%CK YES The GODS have spoken September 2, 1983 excited for this release and a few in particular LLR ~ Deal plus Estimated Eyes and Throwing Stones, really all of it but especially interested in these a few weeks back i pulled out Dicks Picks 6 Smoking hot "They LOve Each Other" ~ Estimated Eyes this one is going to be a HEATER , time for a stroll with Mary Jane cool cover art for number 27, number 26 was awesome artwork too , looks great while sun was sinking low
  • Mr. Jack Straw
    Default Avatar
    http://www.dead.net/store/music/new-releases/daves-picks-volume-27
  • mbarilla
    Would love a show from this year, if the Rhinos go with 1983 performance I wouldn't be surprised if it's 10.17.83 from Lake Placid, New York 1983 - 1984 release would be near the top of my request list , March and April have some gems
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 11 months

The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

Rush 2112 Temples of Syrinx Look around at this world we've made Equality our stock in trade Come and join the brotherhood of man What a nice, contented world Let the banners be unfurled Hold the red star proudly high in hand
user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

I knew as soon as I mention that unusual word the lyrics would fly :-) Ok, another word, "gloom", popular in Motown songs (not too much gloom in Dead songs :-) ) From the Temps Sunshine, blue skies, please go away A girl has found another and gone away With her went my future, my life is filled with GLOOM So day after day I stay locked up in my room I know to you, it might sound strange But I wish it would rain, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah I've always loved the way that sentence unfurls.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 5 months

And here she is, the Queen of Gloom, Katatonia, with her bright sunny hit "Unfurl":
user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

Yo!!! Rockers!!! I may be a little late on this thread, but thought I would chip in with my two cents worth. especially because I was VERY into early Floyd and actually saw my first Floyd show (3/14/73 Boston Music Hall) before I saw my first Dead show (12/1/73 Boston Music Hall). We started listening to the Floyd when we were freshman in high school, late 1970. Piper was OK but we were way more into the live cuts from Ummagumma---which even now still sound good, especially Astronomy Domine and Careful With That Axe. A couple of the studio cuts were OK----Grantchester Meadows and The Narrow Way----but the rest was a major waste of vinyl. Some of their early stuff now sounds very dated, but at the time, if you were a young stoner gobbling acid, it was pretty good. I do remember watching the 1970 KQED broadcast, which was a stoner's delight. Weird and wonderful. The "movie soundtrack LPs", I wouldn't recommend for casual fans, although some of that material (Cymbaline, Green is The Colour, and a couple others) worked its way into the live shows, and were pretty good. But they're a little uneven and could probably be skipped. IMHO, Atom Heart Mother-----which we could just never get into----was "of a kind" with some of the "art rock" or "prog rock" of that era----overly ambitious, pretentious, and somewhat lame. I believe it sold well in the UK, but less so here. Really it's only redeeming quality is that it set the blueprint for Meddle. Meddle solidified their reputation as the great acid rock cult band. That was the Floyd LP we really really loved, the long suite being edgier and much more "sci-fi" that AHM. And I must admit, lol, I like San Tropez.............. DSOTM changed the Floyd from cult band to arena rock gods. Not sure if that was a good thing but it happened. Unfortunately, it made the Floyd much harder----and expensive---to see. But Dark Side's tales of life, death, paranoia, and madness still resonate even today. And while truthfully Time and Money suffered from severe radio overexposure, an occasional listen to the full album can be a rewarding sonic experience. Wish You Were Here---the best Floyd ever? Maybe. Its focus on lost camaraderie and show biz cynicism also ring true today. The music is "sparse", but lyrically it's wonderful. Probably my fave Floyd and always a great listen. If you liked the political music of Dylan, or The Clash, how could you not like Animals? Angry and rousing, all in the right places. Also with some fine playing by Gilmour. Still like this one. HOWEVER. BY the time of The Wall, I had sorta lost interest. Not really into musical explorations of Roger's personal problems and issues. I got the concept of the wall, but I didn't have much sympathy for the Floyd by this time, as they themselves had helped create the gulf between themselves and their fans. Lots of people love it, but there's lots better Floyd than this. I must admit that I saw the post-split, "3/4 Floyd", but the spark wasn't there, the new material sucked, and IMHO it was just a big cash grab. Any serious Floyd fan should avoid those later studio albums at all costs. Although they do reveal that the true lyrical driver of the mega-successful era of the band was Waters, and certainly not Gilmour. After 1980, I sorta stopped being a Floyd Fanatic and moved into my serious deadhead phase. The Floyd didn't come around that often, tickets were super expensive, and frankly, if you saw one Floyd show on tour, you saw them all. Improvisation was not their thing............... Anybody interested in the early Floyd sound, should check out the live cuts on the recent big box. The BBC sessions from 68-71 sounded good before, and now sound great. And some things which circulated before as mostly mediocre bootlegs--such as Celestial Voices and The Man And The Journey (Amsterdam 69), have also been very nicely remastered. In closing, I would like to say that I am humbled by the outpouring of support given my recent "event". I am feeling well and doing well, playing lots of guitar and listening to lot and lots of music----Pink Floyd included. Rock on, Doc
user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

And as I started spinning side 1A I realized that previously on this thread I had commented about Jack Straw being cut on the Betty’s. My bad, it’s actually Minglewood since that is the opening song.Oops. Anyway, when I removed the shrink wrap and opened the box Record 3 (Dancing, Scarlet/Fire) was not totally in its paper sleeve, and the sleeve was creased and appeared as if it had been forced in the box. The record had a huge smudge on it and the beginning of Scarlet sounds like crap (haven’t tried to clean it yet). Why does Rhino consistently fail at the simple task of providing good and reliable packaging? Is it because they pay the Umpa Lumpas a sub-standard wage? Or because they give the Umpa Lumpas Kool Aid in the break room? Or both? I mean, yeah, we would all like some free Kool Aid. But every day? And if you can’t take some Kool Aid samples home with you to sell to your friends, then how else are you supposed to make up for being under paid?
user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

San Tropez is a great song, and Meddle is a great album.
user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

Love Animals. Played the crap out of The Wall in high school - mid 80’s. Had the double cassette and at one point it was in my car cassette deck for more than a month, just looping and looping. Seemed great at the time but all of a sudden I was sick of it and didn’t listen to it again for almost 20 years, partly because I no longer had the cassette and didn’t buy the CD. My interest was briefly sparked again when I got the DVD of the 1980 show and watched that several times. Then went twice to the Waters tour, and have watched the video of that tour many times. It was great to see The Wall live, considering the effect it had on me as a teenager. I was a Floyd Head way before being a Dead Head. Being younger than Doc, my first Floyd show, and 3rd concert ever, was 3/4-Floyd in September, 87. Definitely a mind-altering and life changing experience. I wanted to go more but they didn’t tour regularly. Then went to GD on 4-6-89 and was blown away. It was better than Floyd, and they toured regularly. Floyd immediately became second place and has remained there since. But I still love Pink Floyd. So, many people claim that Waters was the ‘brains behind the operation’ but his solo studio stuff is complete garbage. Gilmour’s first solo album is ok but I can barely make it through the second one and didn’t even buy the third one. It would seem that the whole was way greater than the sum of the parts. I’ll admit that I think that Endless River is pretty good, except maybe the final song that has lyrics. Also, 3/4-Floyd in 94 was way better than in 87. And I went both nights in 94 at the Pontiac Silverdome (on the floor both nights) and the second night was the same set list as the Pulse DVD. Set 2 Dark Side of the Moon! It was real, and it was spectacular!!!!!
user picture

Member for

13 years 2 months

On an Island is pretty good.. I think that came out in 2006. His newest is so/so.. it has its moments but has an unfinished feel to it. Perhaps he was under pressure to make an album every ten years (kidding). They guy can play the shit out of a lap steel guitar though. I still recommend the music on his recent DVDs. Meltdown Concert (2001/2002) Remember That Night (Royal Albert Hall 2006) Live in Gdansk (2006, backed by the Polish Baltic Philharmonic Orchestra) Live at Pompeii (2016) Remember that night has Richard Wright and is quite good, a really nice Echos, great Shine On You Crazy Diamond (w/ Rick Perry on Sax), great Fat Old Sun.. the whole thing is worth the price of admission and more Floyd like than just a solo effort. Oh.. I think Dennis was mentioning why Dark Side has staying power. The Great Gig in the Sky can still give me goose bumps. I think I saw both Rogers and Gilmour perform this the last time they toured in the states. Spellbinding. oh.. Cone Kid.. love Animals too.. ..but man is that one short album.
user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

Tape flip in the middle of Pigs.Man, that was lame. Was stoked when that finally came out on CD. Of course, I couldn’t afford to buy it at that time. And when I could start to afford (sort of, well not really) to buy CDs, this guy named Dick started releasing Dead shows. So then I had to buy those Dicks Picks things and never got Animals on CD until the late 2000’s. Recently bought Animals and DSOTM on vinyl. Maybe I’ll build a Floyd vinyl collection. Will be cheaper than a GD vinyl collection.
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

UL Kool Aid. dosed little people in a dosed land. WW is preeeeetty psychedelic
user picture

Member for

7 years 9 months

One thing that Jenn and I had in common when we met is that we both had The Wall on vinyl and cassette, plus she had the movie on VHS (my dream girl). Since 1996 we've modernized our media and now have the CD and DVD. For those keeping score that's 7 copies in our house but it's been quite a while since one has seen the light of day.
user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

First, glad to hear your back on the bus, and nice that your hangin’ here with us! Next, holy moly, your first Floyd show was 73, and more to it, your first Dead show was 12-1-73, damn, hello, nice start eh! Curious, did you know enough at the time, er, were you cognizant that perhaps it was an “above average”show? Would love to hear any “legacy” members recollections of their first go rounds.... Really enjoyed your post. Have learned so much great stuff here, from Doc and all y’all, about all kinds of great music. Again, though we’re all surely unhinged and addicted to the boys, what other fans are so open to so many different types of music, culture, life... Ummagamma....guess I need to refamilarize myself with this one. Many interesting plugs..... Jim, yeah, like islands, not super intimate with it but love the vibe etc. Guess that’s one of the things I love about Floyd, Dead etc., more and more I like instrumental musics. Words often seem so inadequate for accurate meaning etc Listening choices often influenced by feel, vibe, color etc.... Think I would like last one, Endless River?, from what I’ve read, and bits I’ve heard, because of this predilection to wordless expression...
user picture

Member for

13 years 2 months

I have had it since it came out.. but have not listened to it yet. I can only assume it came out about the same time as 30 trips, which when released created a tear in the space-time continuum that I have honestly not yet recovered from. I heard it's good. I honestly think the only way I will recover from the 30 trips rip in space-time is to take some acid and disappear in the foothills for week with enough food and music to eek out primitive survival. Then again, this might very well just make things worse depending on what I listen to that week. 30 trips cursed my listening habits. It was the heroin binge of box sets. On an unrelated note.. I feel safe now. Make love, not war right? What could possibly go wrong #freelove https://www.apnews.com/98f903367b50404cb3c9695bcabefa5a/Security-troops…
user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

Sigh, alas I did not pony up for 30, and don’t know anyone to copy.... But why I reply is for some demented reason I’m picturing you as some tripped out Mr Garrison/Mr President from last years South Park skulking around in 5he forest, in the rain...lol, or perhaps a naked Montgomery Burns on schrooms crawling around in some dark storm etc As for if....buy the ticket, take the ride, for good or for ill.... Aaaaaaa, so much great music, so little time.... Stoltzfus; I don’t want to work, I want to groove on de tunes all day!
user picture

Member for

13 years 2 months

Ha.. I think of myself more sewn from the cloth of Team America, World Police. (kidding). In truth.. Face to face I would surely disappoint. Just another middle-aged hipster like the rest of us. I am not nearly as interesting as Mr. Garrison. As for politics.. never. Well, maybe a brief jaunt in the Senate, but it surely won't amount to anything. Mr. Burns on Shrooms. I could see that in about 30 years, spot on. "Smithers, release the bats."
user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

....ah. i remember the date it arrived. oct 13th. i forget my grandchildrens birthdays, but oct 13th, 2015. overdose....
user picture

Member for

10 years

Another good album the Floyd made before they went big time was Live At Pompeii. It was recorded live in 1972, and features most of their great post Barret space tracks-including the final two-One of These Days and Echoes.Having said that-it needs to be heard on cd. Its available in the recent 1972 box set-I think. My box had it in without saying what it was-it was credited as "Obscured By Clouds" in the book. I had to notify the seller, who sent "Obscured" out separately. But the music on the live cd is great. The film, unfortunately is...terrible! Only Pink Floyd would think it was a good idea to film and record a live concert, and not invite any fans. I saw them several times in the early- mid 70s, and they were the opposite of The Dead live. The last time I saw them was on the Animals tour in 1977. The concert took place in a huge, disused air hangar. We had to sit for hours before they came on, on a concrete floor. The concert consisted of complete run throughs of "Wish You Were Here" and "Animals", with "Money being the encore. Everyone remained seated throughout. I can remember someone standing up in front of me at one point, and this bloke bawled at her to sit down, which she hastily did. He then looked at me, who he mistakenly thought was a kindred spirit, and said" The Floyd deserve to be listened to!". John Lydon famously wore a Pink Floyd Tee shirt in 1976, with "I hate.." scrawled in front of the bands name. A facsimile of this tee shirt was actually included in The Pink Floyd exhibition in London last year. Shows Nick Mason has a sense of humour.
user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Happy Anniversary, Dave's Picks 1. On my way in this morning, I put on disc 2. I will put this Scarlet > Fire up against Cornell any day of the week. In some ways, I feel like it's even better. IT SOARS!!!! The transition is so so sweet; Donna actually sounds appropriate and perhaps even lovely? I won't get carried away. Looking forward to the remainder later today. Also, happy anniversary to STAR WARS. I still absolutely LOVE the homage to this on the cover of Dave's 1. A true mash up of two of my most favorite things. Solo tonight too. No expectations at all - just want to have some good old fashioned fun. Happy Holiday Weekend to DeadLand Inhabitants. Sixtus
user picture

Member for

13 years 2 months

5/25/72 ain't too shabby either.. I made it through the second set jam this morning on a bike ride. Uncle John's Band [8:00] > Jam [1:50] > Wharf Rat [9:45] > Dark Star [29:59] > Sugar Magnolia [7:33] ; Comes A Time [7:05] ; A nice feeling groovy jam in the Dark Star. I had forgotten just how good this was. Happy holiday weekend everyone.. It's not raining here on the East Coast for the first time in what seems like a year and a half... Summer's here and the time is right...
user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

would love for a Terrapin Station in this next box set Cal Expo Summer 1989 ~ August 4-5-6
user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

Or how’s bout Cal Ex 6/90, with the other 2 unrealsed shorelines.....
user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

Damn dude,Just checked out the lists, definetly interesting. 8-4 especially.... Do they sound as good as they look? Also would love; - 9-29-89 (perhaps plus one,) - Another from Meadowlands (not familiar with all..) - 10-19+20-89, (hell they could do all 3 spectrum shows in their own box) - 10-23-89 - 10-26-89
user picture

Member for

15 years

Have any of you found a pair of bluetooth earbuds you love? Mine sound great when I'm pushing them in but the sound quality disappears as the buds slowly lose their "pushed in" position in my ear canal. Is this a universal complaint? Thanks.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 1 month

Real Gone Music has just announced this re-release is now on sale. $39.98 plus shipping.
user picture

Member for

13 years 2 months

I had problems with my waterproof earbuds coming out while boating.. but I liked the ones I had. I ended up switching just the tips to triple flange earbud tips and that worked.. sometimes the tips can come off the device though.. a little dab of glue will work. They also sell little adapters that hold them on. Not sure if this will work for you, everyone's different.. but I find these don't seem to come out of my ear even when I am pretty active. https://www.amazon.com/ALXCD-Isolate-Silicone-Connector-Earphone/dp/B07…
user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

I know I'm late to the party on this one, but Pembroke Pines 5/22/77 is one of my absolute favorite shows. I just wish there was an official release of the entire gig. Though I've got solid soundboards of the missing tracks, a seamless beginning to end Normanized version would be literal music to my ears. Thought I'd toss in my two cents. You know, in case anyone up at the top is listening.
user picture

Member for

16 years 2 months

I have been using Comply Foam Tips on my earphones for over five years and find them to work really well. My ears don't tolerate a lot of the earbud tips for extended listening, but these are very comfortable. Good Luck! https://www.complyfoam.com/
user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

....I'm always in a Grateful Dead phase. Spent the last couple of weeks binging on Fleetwood Mac. That moment passed. Was on a Styx bender for three or four days. Currently on a Tom Petty / Oingo Boingo thing. No regrets. Earbuds are like headphones to me. As in I usually don't use either. Unless I'm in a metal mood and the wife is within listening distance. I like open spaces....Good luck scoring Stanley Cup Finals tix for less than $1400. New territory for me. Never shopped for them before now. Think I'll spend my money on a bigger TV instead. Outrageous....
user picture

Member for

13 years 2 months

yes, a great release despite the butchered setlist. I will say this though.. some of these old releases would benefit from a remaster. 5/22 has some especially gnarly spots, for example the pitch weirdness on Eyes of the World. They might have permanently scared the source masters trying to restore them.. but I still think it would be worth letting Jeffrey revisit some of these using his new bag of tricks. I just googled Dicks Picks 3 to make sure it was 5/22 and low and behold.. its going for $175 on eBay. Holy shit.. remaster and re-release the entire show.. if for no other reason that it kicks ass. FE 70 and 71 could and should be re-released in their entirety also. Why not? Screw these cut-up compilations.. give us the real deal.
user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

How many of you have the copy with a misprint or error on the back where Music Never Stopped is spelled Mucic Never Stopped? I got mine when it was first released and it's spelled Mucic on mine. I wonder how soon after they started sending them out before they caught and fixed that spelling error. Probably makes those a little rarer, if not more sought after...Love the H>S>F on that release and the special string of Jerry tunes on Disc 2!
user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

....and could see every Stanley Cup Final game. Weird things are afoot at the Circle K. I'm noping out.I pulled out Dick's 3. Yup. Mucic. Can I sell it for a ticket? (finger in the air).
user picture

Member for

13 years 2 months

Wear that shirt and hold up an I Need A Miracle banner. You'll get in.. you can't lose. As for the misprinted Dave's Picks 3, it's worth more than stamp with the upside down airplane on it.
user picture

Member for

11 years 11 months

$1,400? That's a steal. Back in 1993, tickets for game 7 of the Maple Leafs/ LA Kings conference finals were going for $900. At the start of the second period. Hold out for the later games if you really want to go. The Stanley Cup is the greatest trophy in all of sport and certainly worth seeing. Good luck to my beloved Capitals. Yup. It does say Mucic. And it is a sick show. That is why it was 3rd.
user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Sames on my copy.Never knew or noticed that, a neat fact. Thanks for sharing. Sixtus
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 4 months

Cool, glad you're enjoying it! I'm going to have to pick up a copy of "Jammed Together" now as well. I somehow missed the recommendation, but thanks to whomever made it. That's why I keep coming back here, for those great recommendations from fellow Dead Heads...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 4 months

Thanks, man! I have 2 out of 3 of those albums, and now I know what I'm missing. Going to rectify that ASAP ;)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 4 months

I recently made a trip out to Arizona (I had never been out West before), anyway my first night there we got to the hotel pretty late, everything is closed, so I go into the only place open (the local Circle K) to grab some beer, only to discover that they have a whole wall of liquor! Amazing, I had never seen anything like that before; I soon discover that convenience stores, gas stations, and super markets all have a decent selection of wines and spirits there. Never went into a liquor store the whole time I was there, wonder why they even have them. I tell ya, I almost decided to move out West right then and there...
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

When we are anxiously awaiting Dave's Pick 46, one would hope there would be a need to correct ye olde Dick's Picks sins of omission. Like pitch correct 33 for starters. By all accounts quality shows, but my ears (my transparent vintage Dynaco tube amp monoblocks and highly efficient Heritage Klipsch Cornie IIs) detected something amiss with that release right away.
user picture

Member for

10 years

Yes, I like that aspect of this board. A lot of very sound recommendations. I have noticed that the Freddie King album you downloaded last week is included, in its entirety, along with the other two albums he cut for Shelter in a 2 cd set called "King of the Blues". Looks alright! Not necessarily a recommendation, as you probably have the music already-but if anyone hasn't-then it is!- but I got a great Freddy and Albert King double cd yesterday. It was ridiculously inexpensive. The first cd has the first two Freddy albums-"Lets Hide Away and Dance Away" and "Freddy King Sings." The second album has the Freddy/Lula Reed/Sonny Thompson album "Boy-Girl-Boy", coupled with an early Albert King album, "The Big Blues". All recorded circa 1961. I wasn't expecting much-the cost, the insensitive coupling of Freddy and Albert and the dodgy titled "Boy-Girl-Boy". But its great. The sound is absolutely superb, and the music really good. The Freddy sides comprise almost all his instrumentals and early vocal sides, and they are a lot more swinging-less "rock" orientated than the later tracks he cut. He seems to have been looking for cross over hits with the instrumentals-very bright and breezy in an era when many people were having hits with guitar instrumentals-but they still hold up as great blues. The 12 Albert King tracks feature his signature guitar style, but with a big band for support, which gives the music a different flavour from his Stax sides. I haven't played "Boy-Girl-Boy" yet-but in the unlikely event that its not so good-the discs still hold enough great music to make the purchase worthwhile. Top Dead? 18th June 1974 was the last I played. Definitely one of the best shows from one of their best periods.
user picture

Member for

10 years

Incidentally, Jerry credited these early albums by Freddie as being a primary influence when he switched form acoustic to electric in the mid 60s. He refers to him twice in that Charles Reich interview from 1972, in the book "Signpost To A New Space." The influence wasn't in terms of reproducing particular licks, so much as in developing fluency and melodicism, it seems to me. The only time, to my knowledge that The Dead ever touched on a Freddie track was on 7th November 1971, when they swung into a brief version of "Hideaway". Freddie King's actual tracks probably didn't suit the Dead's style of playing too much, in that they demand to be played, almost note for note, the way Monsieur King played them. There isn't much call for improvisation, it seems to me, on a Freddie King track.
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

:)))
user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

Lots of good stuff here folks. I too, have the typo Mucic Dick's 3 cd, never missed a Dicks back in the day and bought them as soon as they came out. I was at the Dicks 29 show in Lakeland, FL and Dick's 3 is the day after that show. Those were the days. Oroboros, 10-26-89 was released with boxzilla, I was at that show also, I wish they would release the first night of that run, that was a great show too, just no Dark Star that night. My first Floyd show was 6-29-73, never forget it, The set list was Obscured by Clouds, When you're in, Set the controls for the heart of the sun, Careful with that Axe Eugene and all of Echoes. Then all of DSOTM with One of these Days as the encore, purple microdot. The ticket was pink and the show cost 6 bucks. I was also at the 87 shows and the 94 shows, all good but nowhere as good as that first show was. I liked the Wall, but it hit a bit too close to home for me and after hearing it in it's entirety trippin balls, I had to leave it. I cut my teeth on Meddle, what a great LP, the cover is an ear underwater collecting waves of sound, one of my favs on that lp is Fearless, with the Liverpool football club singing "You'll never walk alone" just a great tune. Icecreamkid, you should really try Roger Waters' "Amused to Death", you will change your mind about his solo stuff once you hear it, check out "Bravery of being out of range" and "What God wants, part II" Jeff Beck plays on the lp and he is in fine form, definitely the best Roger Waters lp to date. Jim, I was also anti waters back in the 80's believing the hype that it was he who broke up my favorite band back then, but after seeing the "Pros and cons of hitchhiking" tour, I instantly changed my mind and now knew which one was "Pink". The cover of Relics, that face, it is laugh your ass off funny tripping hard, you just can't help but laugh, one of my favorites too. After Meddle, I revisited More and Obscured by clouds, both good, Cirrus Minor, the Nile song and a great little ditty called "Spanish Piece" Gilmore's flamenco guitar playing with Water's lyrics is priceless. Julia Dream and Remember a Day from Obscured by Clouds are classic Floyd cuts. I recommend you do not skip them. Direwulf, what a quote "Days of lying supine in the sunshine transition to disconnect, fear and paranoia" wow, personally, I never stopped lying supine in the sunshine, so I have no fear, paranoia or disconnect. I have been dodging societies norms my entire life, so I don't have any of those. Favorite bands? I too am a deadhead first, then a Floyd fan. I have heard Tool and they are also very good, I met those guys at a party in Florida once, a chick I worked with was dating one of them. Nice guys, a bit scary at first, but harmless once you got to talking with them. My favorite Floyd lp? Piper,then Relics, then Ummagumma, then Meddle, saucerful of secrets, More, Obscured by Clouds, WYWH, Animals, DSOTM. Give me Syd Barrett Floyd anyday, ain't nothing like it anywhere else. Gilmore and Wright also played on Syd's Barrett lp. More news on Nick's Saucerful of Secrets band, doing a european tour this year, lets hope they make it to the good old U S of A. Sorry so long winded, it's not easy keeping up with you guys :)
user picture

Member for

13 years 2 months

Bob t.. Couldn't agree more. daverock, funny you brought up 6/18/74 Louisville. I had a busy day planned.. needed to start my day early, change the oil in the truck and get on the river early. So just after reading your post I go to move my truck to the oil changing spot, the radio was last on SiriusXM 23, The Grateful Dead Channel and that remarkable eyes of the world was playing. I recognized it immediately.. and it gave me a chuckle. Seeing how serendipity was already interfering with my plans.. after I changed the oil I made sure to grab my waterproof shuffle that had 6/18/74 already loaded and enjoyed most of the show on what turned out be a spectacular sunny day carving turns through the beautiful mountain canyon just upstream of my home. 11 miles of Class IV and V whitewater.. didn't see another soul except the buddy I was paddling with and even spotted a bald eagle in the top part of the run, which doesn't happen every day. Thanks for that post, you tilted karma my way and set in play what turned out to be a most enjoyable Saturday morning. Happy holidays all. 5/25..yes, I think that's what I will listen to on my bike ride up to get my truck. It's a stunner and the ride will likely take almost a couple hours. Just enough for the second set. Nice ramble, unkle.. a few nice little bits of history you got to attend.
user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

You are correct, 10-26-89 has been released, bummer. Sorry, not overly familiar, since I didn’t get Boxilla... I did happen to go through list of shows (Wikipedia?) last night since I’ve seen so much here about it.....cursing myself, though it was a lot of scratch for me at the time... Always been a tad obsessed with those Miami shows as I had tix, but had to sell since I went to Hampton instead...(went to Philly also, but that was planned). Enjoyed Fla. 88 shows, and saw more shows at Spectrum than any other venue (13 I t think?) so the plan was to do Philly/Miami, but then Hampton happened.......Glad to hear the first night of Miami was good too, perhaps that will end up on something? Always thought perhaps not all, but a nice representation/sample of remaining unreleased 89 fall shows would make a nice box, especially since there are multi-tracks etc...perhaps that 9/29/89 also if it’s as good as it looks? I will have to get 10-26 copy elsewhere.... Really enjoyed your Floyd comments, especially the 73 show stuff. It must of been amazing to see all these great bands in perhaps their primes..... Personally, I really enjoy the posts by you folks that were a bit ahead of the curve age wise regarding early 70s, and sixties shows that you were at etc. I know how I remeber how much things changed from late 70s when I became concert goer, over the ensuing years. So using comparitve analysis in reverse, can only imagine what it was like back then; probably even more laid back, smaller scenes, with bands in their prime? Thanks to all who recall here their early experiences for those of us to young to have been there, so we can use these visions to enhance our imaginations etc., At least we have much of the fantastic music made in those days to enjoy!
user picture

Member for

10 years

Its spelt Mucic on my copy, although I have only noticed, now since it has been pointed out. Just shows how we sometimes see what we expect to see-not what's actually there. I agree that its a great show. Help-Slipknot-Franklins is my favourite 1977 jam, although it didn't crop up that often. I have always considered the one played on 9th June at Winterland to be the greatest-but I haven't played it this year yet-and they are all good. You sure listened to 18th June 1974 in more favourable conditions than I did, Jim! Not that there's anything wrong with my front room-but it doesn't sound as expansive as where you heard it.
user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

....now I have never listened to this show before. Not bad for '95, but I'm scratching my head at the FOTM. I don't want to say it's the worst version I've ever heard, but it's up there. https://archive.org/details/gd1995-05-26.sbd.larson.35169.flac16/gd95-0… ....Jerry is plucking his magic twanger for sure, but I'm not a fan of this twang...the vocals during the final coda are also cringe worthy. Moving on.
product sku