• 2,395 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• cheyler196
    Default Avatar
    I was wondering what the solution might be to this problem. If the bonus disc came with the edits necessary to re-assemble the show in the correct running order, it would be difficult to listen to it 'as-is'. Re-assembling the show from the disc as-released also makes for difficult listening. Listening to the show out-of-sequence is OK but not optimum. The only real solution is to make the files available digitally. Give a unique one-use download code to each purchaser and allow the download of the files with the necessary edits. Given the limited nature of the releases and the speed at which they sell out, this couldn't possibly affect sales and would definitely reduce the complaining.
  • alvarhanso
    What a fantastic show and fantastic recording! Combine this and DaP 21 4/2/73, and Rex has two of the best sounding tapes released. And the performance matches the pristine recording here more than 21, IMO. The Other One (both halves) have great jams, Wharf Rat is a strong '71 version, NFA> GDTRFB> NFA is ridiculously raucous, and we get almost an entire other show as a bonus! This is the Pick of the year for me so far. 25 is a good show with three truly great renditions of songs, the first two, and second set closer, otherwise a good show. This show SMOKES and the bonus is a good show; the best aspect of it is the side by side comparison one has for Keith lineup and Keith and Pig, with nearly identical setlist choices.
  • Mind-Left-Body
    This is a great recording.
  • Born Cross Eye…
    This thread is quieting down after the announcements of the North West Pacific 73-74 box and Dave's Picks 27. I suspect it be removed from public view like the threads for Dave's Picks 17 thru 24 have been taken down, away from public view.Yet, at this posting I can read the threads for DaP 13 - 16. Why?
  • icecrmcnkd
    I’ll need some L-Dopa, 5-HT, NE, and BDNF to process
  • Born Cross Eye…
    Well, I was wrong as were the 70's *mafia*
    I don't recall seeing any calls for an 80's show on these two comment boards - this DaP 26 or the NW '73 - '74 box comments boards. Oh well, no big deal. I used to have this 9/2/83 as an audience tape set and a fine one to boot. I got rid of it (and many other GD tapes) when I was downsizing in the mid 2000's during a move from one domicile to another. A very good show, if I recall correctly.
  • mbarilla
    F%CK YES The GODS have spoken September 2, 1983 excited for this release and a few in particular LLR ~ Deal plus Estimated Eyes and Throwing Stones, really all of it but especially interested in these a few weeks back i pulled out Dicks Picks 6 Smoking hot "They LOve Each Other" ~ Estimated Eyes this one is going to be a HEATER , time for a stroll with Mary Jane cool cover art for number 27, number 26 was awesome artwork too , looks great while sun was sinking low
  • Mr. Jack Straw
    Default Avatar
    http://www.dead.net/store/music/new-releases/daves-picks-volume-27
  • mbarilla
    Would love a show from this year, if the Rhinos go with 1983 performance I wouldn't be surprised if it's 10.17.83 from Lake Placid, New York 1983 - 1984 release would be near the top of my request list , March and April have some gems
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 7 months

The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....Good Lord. Take my sight, take my taste, take my smell, but don't take my hearing. Healing power.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

Herbie Hancock Trio: Sorry, Vguy, but I really like these 3 Black dudes....
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....falling down the ELP rabbit hole. Hold me.
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Came across this line today "The most confident critics are generally those who know the least about the matter criticized." U.S. Grant Memoirs
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....to the show that never ends. Karn Evil 9 will steal your face and stomp the fuck out of it then kick it to the curb.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

how do you feel about Jack Johnson? Awesome, no? I'm wearing a do-rag in your honor, dude...
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

.... heard of him, but haven't really heard him. Guess I need to stretch my wings a little. Karns still on tap. Next song.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

I got it, dude. Isn't it funny how they got me pigeon holed though, man, when I ain't even nearly what they expected? hahahahaha Surely, you can appreciate that?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

This world would be far better. Bless you, brother, sincerely. You have a great affinity for this music, as I hope you realize that I do as well...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

In honor of Memorial Day, and my Marine Corp cousin who served in Vietnam, somehow this makes sense... Rock on, brothers!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

you are so right, I'm just an alcoholic dumbass... I'm just too drunk all the time to make sense, I defer to your superior knowledge... That is all... I won't post here no more, thank you. I'm glad we got to know each other, best wishes, comrade ;)
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

via Wikipedia:Memorial Day or Decoration Day is a federal holiday in the United States for remembering the people who died while serving in the country's armed forces. The holiday, which is currently observed every year on the last Monday of May, will be held on May 28, 2018. The holiday was held on May 30 from 1868 to 1970. It marks the unofficial start of the summer vacation season, while Labor Day marks its end. Many people visit cemeteries and memorials, particularly to honor those who have died in military service. Many volunteers place an American flag on each grave in national cemeteries. Memorial Day is not to be confused with Veterans Day – Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving, whereas Veterans Day celebrates the service of all U.S. military veterans. It is also not to be confused with Armed Forces Day, a minor U.S. remembrance celebrated earlier in May, which specifically honors those currently serving in the U.S. military. The Star Spangled Banner (all four verses are sung here by a vocal choir accompanied by organ) duration: 5:13 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1wLtAXDgqg Follow up with this: U.S. Blues (from the Grateful Dead Movie) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1mylHvg8DY
user picture

Member for

8 years

...I always enjoyed this performance... :) On Sept. 15, 1976, the notorious Hells Angels motorcycle gang threw a party on a boat in New York Harbor and invited all their friends. Dubbed The Pirates Ball, the bill included the Jerry Garcia Band (with Keith and Donna Godchaux), Bo Diddley, and Elephant’s Memory, a New York band known for backing John Lennon and Yoko Ono in the early ‘70s. The ship, the USS Duchess, shoved off from Battery Park in lower Manhattan, and promised not to return to dock “until the party is over.” It was a Hells Angeles bash, but anyone feeling brave enough (and, with any luck, had no sense of smell) could buy a ticket for $15. Why Garcia would want to be trapped on a boat with the Hells Angels after the disaster at Altamont seven years earlier, when an Angel infamously stabbed a festivalgoer to death right in front of the stage while The Rolling Stones played, is anyone’s guess. Garcia, who had been at Altamont with The Grateful Dead, later called the festival “a nice afternoon in hell.” On the compact Duchess stage, with a noose dangling ominously in the background, Garcia and Co. played a relatively brief set, breaking out “Catfish John,” “After Midnight,” “They Love Each Other” and a few others. Watch below as they ramble through a nine-minute cover of Bob Marley’s “Stir It Up.” https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/09/wat… - filmed performance / primo ;) http://www.dead.net/features/jerry-garcia-band-pirates-ball-poster https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jYZ2hOWWyv8
user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

New found appreciation for Fall '71. Definitely my new favorite Other One on 11/17. Thanks Dave!
user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

Hello all... I hope everyone is enjoying a long weekend and feasting on some GOGD. It's been a while since I've posted on here (life, and all, getting in the way). So... I was just wondering, who's going out to see Dead & Co. this summer? I'm going to Alpine Valley for a B-Day weekend with my 15 year-old son. It's my b-day, not his! So... anyone else going to be there? The speculation and non-announcement of the forthcoming box set is about killing me. At any rate, everyone enjoy their holiday. Drink good beer and fire up the grill and some Dead. Peace!
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

dug out Dylan & the Dead CD hmm
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

.....so I get up at dawn. I lug the big speakers out onto the second floor balcony.Then I raise my stein aloft and yell “REMEMBER THE FALLEN” as I crank up Death Don’t Have No Mercy from 10-09-89, followed by GD Movie U.S. Blues, (wanted to end upbeat, like Jerry with the little upturn at the end of a phrase..). Obviously not a lot of Patriots in my neighborhood? Yeessh, you’d think I dissed the royals or something? Anyway, luckily everything was packed up and back to normal by the time the law drove by.... “...come to get ya when you don’t walk right” For those of you who partake, and you know who you are, grilling season is officially here. Party on Garth! Just be careful chilren’ and for god sakes remember to ware your official osha approved “chillin & grillin’” exclusive deck seatbelts......nothing spoils a national holiday like uncle Chester getting ripped to the tips, projectile vomiting in mid flight as he floats off the deck like a Mexican cliff diver! Eee-gads, “the horror” Remeber, Good people died so we can board the mothership, while never having to leave the comfort and safety of the back yard! Thanks all y’all!!! Saluuuute!
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Set 1was rockin’!Think I’ll save set 2 for later today. Time to get outside, it’s 90 and mostly sunny. Stoltzfus, my dugout is empty :( Wish I lived in a cool state like you do.
user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

Ran the Bolder Boulder this morning and had coupons for three free beers afterward. Each runner only gets one, but my buddy and I were "miracled" by four non-drinkers waving free coupons. A righteous way to start a lazy Monday. Got the kids to and back from the pool, now listening to Led Zeppelin, sipping Jack Daniel's and soda and waiting for the wife to return with brats and dogs for the grill. Summer on.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....spent all last night listening to new stuff I haven't tried yet. Jack Johnson, some ELP, some Gabriel Genesis, some Tool. Woke up this (late) morning and cranked some Dead. At La-Z-Boy showroom now because they are having a pretty awesome sale. And it's La-Z-Boy or nothing in our home. Going to be making some ribs in a little bit. The puck drops at 5 PST.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Sounds like rather than spend $1400 on a single ticket for a playoff game, Vguy is going to be reclining in style in his living room for the whole series.Beer, bud, and bathroom only a few feet away. Unless he got a La-Z-Boy with a built in fridge. Or did he get the Lazy Man’s La-Z-Boy with a fridge, a stash pocket, and a funnel, tube, and collection bucket so you never have to get up? For an extra $100 you can go super deluxe which also has a vibrating fingers massage.
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

I dug out London Calling by the Clash, and some psychedelia: The Charlatans, "The Amazing Charlatans"; NOT Charlatans UK. annd Infrared Roses now every cheap hood strikes a bargain with the world ends up making payments on a sofa or a girl death or glory becomes just another story
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Looks like everyone is enjoying themselves on this festive weekend of remembrance.. it's amazing what a day off from work can do for the spirits. I'm a bit miffed by the repetitive calls for More Doughnuts.. but whatever, everyone seems to be happy. 10/9/89 Death Don't Have No Mercy.. one of my apex show moments.. still gives me goosebumps. Happy Memorial Day all, More Doughnuts! and whatever else makes you happy including gogd.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....every time Vegas had a shut out at home this season, ticket holders got free Krispy Kreme donuts after the the game. Krispy Kreme lost money.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

More mushrooms might be healthier and most certainly more fun... just saying.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I am a professed non-professional sports dude. I could really give a shit. The previous post awakened me.. my naivety in this matter is shocking. Living just a couple hours away from DC and witnessing some serious cyber, pro-sports bullying against my local teams woke me up. VGuy is a long term friend of mine here.. I mean.. we both really dig a good Cumberland Blues, regardless of era. Brothers in arms.. but no longer. His last 'bullying' post awakened a sleeping beast from within. I realize now we are rivals. A fight to the death is upon us.. I don't even think we can like and listen to the same shows anymore. Our children can no longer hang out, at least with our permissions. Game on VGuy.. until five minutes ago, I could care less about pro sports.. then that post. Now it all matters. I ordered three XXXL Caps Jerseys and will fill them out with rage that has building up from within these last few weeks. That post.. 1.... 1 I am raged now.. Game on VGuy.. I fart in your general direction you nasty wiper of other peoples bottoms. .. you will lose you golden kiniggets.. I wave my private parts at you... Run Away.... lose, lose again.. or I shall be forced to taunt you a seconded.. ttTimmmmee.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....the salt is great in the general NHL community when it comes to the Knights. Bring it. It just makes us stronger. Sucks to be everyone but Vegas. You all could watch Golden State vs Houston. Again.
user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

Fun game last night, eh? I think I'm pulling for you guys, or more specifically, for Mr. Marc-Andre Fleury and against Mr. Tom "Concussions are a Chinese Hoax" Wilson. I started the game with the Cobo Hall Doors show on as a soundtrack. After the first disc I was informed by Mrs. Deadguy that "Jim Morrison's insane ranting" was no longer enhancing the experience. So I kicked it over to 5/14/78 from 30 trips instead. Good times were enjoyed by all. I might need to remember this tactic in the future. "What, you don't like this bootleg of a belching contest between Jim Morrison, Janis, and Hunter S. Thompson? I'm sorry, what if I just put on a nice Dead show instead?"
user picture

Member for

6 years

Over the weekend I found Dave's Picks 18 to be a great background music CD for company at a party. And when I say background, I don't mean the volume was low. I mean you can turn it up loudly without it overwhelming people's conversations. Very soft smooth and delicate.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I'm sure a trippy 76 PITB and a couple of ales would erase any fabricated sports tension. After all, it worked with Mrs. Deadguy..
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Thanks whoever mentioned this recently. Haven't listened in a while, it was one of those early tapes i got in 85 that i played all the time. I wonder how different the experience be if we had everything available at our finger tips like we do now!!!! listening right now... bob t
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

Any recommendations on parks or camping around Philadelphia area to sleep and park car without getting hassled too much ? Going to Camden, New Jersey for Dead and Company Friday and Saturday. Then off to Riverbend and Deer Creek if anyone wants to join Goin down the road feeling bad Love is Real Not Fade Away
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

I don't know what it is, maybe Keith's keyboard, but this just has the most laid back feeling of any Birdsong!! I get lost in a lot of Birdsong's but this one is a mellow lost...
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

That is hysterical!!! thanks for sharing!!!! I've watched this 5 times and it is still cracking me up!!!!!
product sku