• 2,395 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• cheyler196
    Default Avatar
    I was wondering what the solution might be to this problem. If the bonus disc came with the edits necessary to re-assemble the show in the correct running order, it would be difficult to listen to it 'as-is'. Re-assembling the show from the disc as-released also makes for difficult listening. Listening to the show out-of-sequence is OK but not optimum. The only real solution is to make the files available digitally. Give a unique one-use download code to each purchaser and allow the download of the files with the necessary edits. Given the limited nature of the releases and the speed at which they sell out, this couldn't possibly affect sales and would definitely reduce the complaining.
  • alvarhanso
    What a fantastic show and fantastic recording! Combine this and DaP 21 4/2/73, and Rex has two of the best sounding tapes released. And the performance matches the pristine recording here more than 21, IMO. The Other One (both halves) have great jams, Wharf Rat is a strong '71 version, NFA> GDTRFB> NFA is ridiculously raucous, and we get almost an entire other show as a bonus! This is the Pick of the year for me so far. 25 is a good show with three truly great renditions of songs, the first two, and second set closer, otherwise a good show. This show SMOKES and the bonus is a good show; the best aspect of it is the side by side comparison one has for Keith lineup and Keith and Pig, with nearly identical setlist choices.
  • Mind-Left-Body
    This is a great recording.
  • Born Cross Eye…
    This thread is quieting down after the announcements of the North West Pacific 73-74 box and Dave's Picks 27. I suspect it be removed from public view like the threads for Dave's Picks 17 thru 24 have been taken down, away from public view.Yet, at this posting I can read the threads for DaP 13 - 16. Why?
  • icecrmcnkd
    I’ll need some L-Dopa, 5-HT, NE, and BDNF to process
  • Born Cross Eye…
    Well, I was wrong as were the 70's *mafia*
    I don't recall seeing any calls for an 80's show on these two comment boards - this DaP 26 or the NW '73 - '74 box comments boards. Oh well, no big deal. I used to have this 9/2/83 as an audience tape set and a fine one to boot. I got rid of it (and many other GD tapes) when I was downsizing in the mid 2000's during a move from one domicile to another. A very good show, if I recall correctly.
  • mbarilla
    F%CK YES The GODS have spoken September 2, 1983 excited for this release and a few in particular LLR ~ Deal plus Estimated Eyes and Throwing Stones, really all of it but especially interested in these a few weeks back i pulled out Dicks Picks 6 Smoking hot "They LOve Each Other" ~ Estimated Eyes this one is going to be a HEATER , time for a stroll with Mary Jane cool cover art for number 27, number 26 was awesome artwork too , looks great while sun was sinking low
  • Mr. Jack Straw
    Default Avatar
    http://www.dead.net/store/music/new-releases/daves-picks-volume-27
  • mbarilla
    Would love a show from this year, if the Rhinos go with 1983 performance I wouldn't be surprised if it's 10.17.83 from Lake Placid, New York 1983 - 1984 release would be near the top of my request list , March and April have some gems
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 7 months

The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

"I need more shows..." Not to play "Dead-er that thou", but the test of "whether you're a Deadhead I want to really engage with" is to ask them what shows they wish they could add. If anyone says "Oh I've got all I need", then they're not as interesting to me. Put me at a party with the guy (or preferably a la-dy:) who says "I need more shows" and we'll have a good old time. Having said that, I have plenty of Deadhead friends (almost all, actually) who have no interest WHATSOEVER in Dave's Picks (fools!!!). And I just DON'T GET IT. Why don't they get it? If they got them, they'd get it. But they don't get them so they don't get it. Got it? Good.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

It would appear that your friends are casual Dead heads whereas you, and many of us, are fully addicted beyond repair.And I’m happy with it being that way. We don’t need more people competing with us to obtain the most recent release of Full Norman Glory. Don’t use the roguedeadguy technique on your friends, they might convert. So, I’m ready for a new release announcement..... What? We have to wait until August for the big reveal of what comes in the Bolo Bacon Box?
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

I could see the pre-order/announcement coming almost any time. I bet it has more to do with Dave fitting in the seaside chat with migratory, predatory sea birds. Fourth of July week would be a good time.. these big box sets don't always sell out immediately (exception E71, FW69 and the limited part of Get Shown The Light).. so why not get the pre-order rolling. There are a few more box sets that would really get people pumped though.... Still.. record the seaside chat already Dave!
user picture

Member for

13 years 7 months

Hippychic said:Over the weekend I found Dave's Picks 18 to be a great background music CD for company at a party. And when I say background, I don't mean the volume was low. I mean you can turn it up loudly without it overwhelming people's conversations. Very soft smooth and delicate. Upon reading I saw Dick's Picks 18 and all I could think is WTF! : )
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

Icecrmcnkid - It's funny - These are guys I USED to trade shows with, went to tons of shows with them, etc, etc.... They just lost their interest in NEW shows. "I have 500 shows already, more than I could ever fully digest blah blah...." You know... morons. Pet peeve: People who refer to shows as just DaP18 or DP23 AS IF we all remember exactly which dates correspond to each of the 60 Dick's/Dave's releases. Most times I have to open a new screen, and google "Dave's Picks 18", JUST so I can understand the context. AT LEAST say the year to give us a clue, please. "DaP 18 '76", for example. And Yes I agree, it is clean enough of a recording (and clean shimmering tones on the guitars) that it can be played loud. I think DP23 also can be played loud (SEE? You had to look it up - annoying, right? And if you DID know it off the top of your head, then you ARE Deader than me in which case you REALLY have a problem, because I know I'm way off the deep end.)
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

I try, but often don't add the date when referencing a pick. I will try to add the dates and the link to the archive.. I'm totally guilty of this.
user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

I second that pet peeve. I've gotten everything from both Dick and Dave's picks as they came out. I think I know them all really well, by DATE of performance. It never would have occurred to me to memorize the numbers of each. I'm surprised so many people here have apparently done just that. There are 62 of them now for heavens sake.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

To refer to a show by when it was released rather than the date of the show. Is it only people with small collections that do that? Yeah, I just finished listening to Charlie Miller 102473. It was awesome. (Actually made up that number). Jim, you don’t have to provide a link to every show that you mention. The readers should be able to look it up themselves.
user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

are the only ones I know that buy the releases. The subject never comes up in analog life.
user picture

Member for

13 years 7 months

I certainly don't remember nor do I have all of the official releases (definitelymy fair share.) However, I've been in since the get go DP1 (arguably OFTV.) Praise Latvala! That being the case there are absolute stand-outs (DP4, 8, 12, 18 etc...) especially pre-Archive then post-Archive (TPTB download shutdown) when, it seemed like forever before the next release. It gave you a lot of time to familiarize. I get the need for a date. When I replied to Hippychic I had no idea (and still don't) what Dave's Pick 18 is but, I do know DP18 and there is nothing chill about that one. In the future, if my feeble mind allows I'll refer to the show date, maybe.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

I spend all morning sharpening my mind and try to keep it that way throughout the afternoon. At some point it begins to lose it's edge and by the time I make my first cup of coffee the next morning it's usually dull and lifeless and the process begins anew. One of the great mysteries of life I guess. Saturday and Sunday mornings sometimes require special brain exercises (cranial CPR of sorts) followed by very large cups of strong coffee, not exactly sure why that is. I do know most of the releases by #.. but not all. That Alpine '82 eludes me. But certainly the biggies, the mind-melters. Now where were we? The drum roll for the next box set? I bought a couple new waterproof shuffles this spring (they are being discontinued) and loaded them up somewhat randomly and chronologically. Now I have four and I don't know what is on any one device. Monday I grabbed the red one and the day brought especially good weather and high-water.. I was delighted when 2/18/71 came on. The Dark Star>Wharf Rat>Beautiful Jam>Dark Star started just before the most difficult part of the run and it took me to the outer cosmos. By the end of the day I had wrinkles on my face where the smile used to be. One day we will get that whole run restored and expertly re-mastered. That will be a glorious day and a great box set. One way or the other.. we will be getting a box set announcement sooner rather than later.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I can remember the first 6 Dicks Picks off the top of my head-and all the 3 Vaults releases, but after that its just a blur, I'm afraid. It is about 25 years ago since the first Dicks Picks came out, so its a lot of years and a lot of releases. Lucky us. The most bamboozling series, however was Road Trips. If you know what Road Trips Volume 4 Number 5 is without looking it up, then you have my deepest respect. Heck-if you can be sure there WAS such a release without looking it up you have my deepest respect.
user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

Immediate recall as if it was just the other day:June 9, 1976 at the Boston Music Hall in Boston, Massachusetts, USA. It was released November 2011, and with it's announcement I believe there was an announcement that the Road Trips series was ending and a (then) yet un-named release series was taking the place of Road Trips. As for 6/9/76 immediate recall brings to mind that St Stephen was played. For the rest of the show, I'd have to look it up. A good show to end that series.
user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

13 hours until the boys take the stage in MA and I am psyched! Previous set lists look amazing! °o°
user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

The fact remains that Hippychic's assertion about Dave's 18, aka 7-17-76, is spot on. I love the summer of 76 for exactly that reason . . . its got this smooth, easy, loping vibe that just feels like summertime. Road Trips 4.5 aka 6-9-76 fits the bill also. You could call it "Gateway Dead", as its arguably more palatable to a n00b who typically listens to 3 minute radio songs. Get someone hooked that way, and before you know it they're talking about Charlie Miller and Hunter Seamons as if they're old friends.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

I love that release.. it's a sleeper, it sort of grows on you. That and Cobo from 30 Trips, 10/3/76 share a sort of loping, ethereal cosmic groove. Jelly beans for the brain. I guess you could say that about a lot of the 76 shows. They haven't quite found the forceful strength and tightness of 77 but they haven't lost that congealed jazzy looseness of 74 either. I got hippychicks post, it immediately made sense to me. Oh, before we lose this train of consciousness, 7/17 is mostly known for the Comes a Time>Other One>Space>Eyes>Other One.. but don't overlook that Playing in the Band jam from the bonus disc. It as easily just as good. 76 is sometimes undeservedly maligned. I look at it more like the peanut butter and jelly between two different kinds of toast.. Heading out on my morning bike ride sprinkling in a little 7/16/77. A should out to all our MA friends and others that are about the sample the opening notes of the tour. I will be catching it from the sofa. Enjoy.
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

I have a buddy who we call "Cadillac George", because he is all things Caddy. I'm finally getting around to making him a collection of songs that include Cadillac in the title or lyrics. Hit me with titles and artist of such songs. I've got a pretty good list going already. (of course Cassidy is on it!) Thanks Dennis
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 9 months

Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen -- Hot Rod Lincoln Brian Setzer Orchestra - Brand New Cadillac Stray Cats - Look at that Cadillac; Gonna Ball; probably several others too. Johnny Cash - Psycho Billy Cadillac Cadillac Angels - Big Bad Cadillac The Daytonas - Gonna buy a Cadillac (I got myself a Chevy but I'm gonna buy a Cadillac...). Don't miss this one. Mine the rockabilly vein, you'll probably find several more. Search for Rockabilly Cadillac on youtube and check 'em out.
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

Dead and Co from Mass tonight free on nugs.net, anybody gonna watch?
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

I'm going to check it out. Hoping all our friends in the Northeast have as much fun as humanly possible.. I bet many are getting it together to head for the show right now... I think the boys are playing good right now.. unsung hero points for Chimenti and Burbridge. I'm pulling for Playing in the Band and Comes a Time. Perhaps I am asking too much.
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

I will check it out, got nothing going on till 8pm tonite, lets just hope they have upped the tempo a bit. Shakedown opener would be cool.
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Got 5 top of my head: Sammy Masters Pink Cadillac Chuck Berry Maybelline Gene Vincent Git It! Warren Smith Red Cadillac and a Black Moustache Animals Hey Gyp! Probably a ton more, Cadillac is the most iconic car(especially the '59!)
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Off the top of my head, I can think of 5 Black Cadillac by Joyce Green Brand New Cadillac by Vince Taylor-or the later version by The Clash Cadillac by The Kinks Nadine by Chuck Berry-has a "coffee coloured Cadillac" in it. Marquee Moon by Television has a Cadillac pulling into a graveyard. And is excellent!
user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

A name that has appeared in the credits of recent releases: ABCD Enterprises."Tapes provided through the assistance of ABCD Enterprises, LLC." Just who is ABCD Enterprises? Read on: www.legalnews.com/detroit/1457673
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Bo Diddley: C.A.D.I.L.L.A.C Arthur Gunter & Elvis Baby Let's Play House
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Otis & Carla Thomas: Tramp("I got six Cadillacs, five Lincolns, four Fords, Six Mercuries, three T-Birds, Mustangs, ooh, I'm a lover" Next: Yugo and Trabant songs
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....its a back to back knight. Game #2 and show #1....
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Running out to service the #a needs of our favorite clientele, but want to extend a early thanks to those who have offered up "caddy" driven music. D PS - Tonight's listening will be 8 hours of musicals! So mark that down as my next 5 :-) ….everytime I look at you I don't understand.....
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Twin Cadillac Valentine by The Screaming Blue Messiahs.
user picture

Member for

17 years

Some folks say she must be a Cadillac,I say she got to be a T-Model Ford.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

That bear at the top of the screen looks more like a dog than a bear.
user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

"Slick Black Cadillac" - Quiet Riot "Pink Cadillac" - Bruce Springsteen "Cadillac Ranch" - Springsteen My two cents.
user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

Glad to know its not just me. I dont even see tonights show listed as an option. Nugs.tv URL wont even come up. You can buy the whole summer tour in HD plus a complimentary download for a mere $749.99 tho.
user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

Glad to know its not just me. I dont even see tonights show listed as an option. Nugs.tv URL wont even come up. You can buy the whole summer tour in HD plus a complimentary download for a mere $749.99 tho.
user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

There, its up now on Youtube. Just takes a loooooooooooooong time to load.
user picture

Member for

17 years

I'm getting it just fine on my creaky DSL.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Just started Shakedown Street and its working just fine on my DSL via Nugs. Unkle got his Shakedown, disco ball and all.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Anyone know what that widebody Bob broke out during All Over Now? Its not the ES 335.. Looks 50's ish.. Nice tone. Gretsch? (yes.. I'm at least an hour behind)
product sku