• 2,395 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• cheyler196
    Default Avatar
    I was wondering what the solution might be to this problem. If the bonus disc came with the edits necessary to re-assemble the show in the correct running order, it would be difficult to listen to it 'as-is'. Re-assembling the show from the disc as-released also makes for difficult listening. Listening to the show out-of-sequence is OK but not optimum. The only real solution is to make the files available digitally. Give a unique one-use download code to each purchaser and allow the download of the files with the necessary edits. Given the limited nature of the releases and the speed at which they sell out, this couldn't possibly affect sales and would definitely reduce the complaining.
  • alvarhanso
    What a fantastic show and fantastic recording! Combine this and DaP 21 4/2/73, and Rex has two of the best sounding tapes released. And the performance matches the pristine recording here more than 21, IMO. The Other One (both halves) have great jams, Wharf Rat is a strong '71 version, NFA> GDTRFB> NFA is ridiculously raucous, and we get almost an entire other show as a bonus! This is the Pick of the year for me so far. 25 is a good show with three truly great renditions of songs, the first two, and second set closer, otherwise a good show. This show SMOKES and the bonus is a good show; the best aspect of it is the side by side comparison one has for Keith lineup and Keith and Pig, with nearly identical setlist choices.
  • Mind-Left-Body
    This is a great recording.
  • Born Cross Eye…
    This thread is quieting down after the announcements of the North West Pacific 73-74 box and Dave's Picks 27. I suspect it be removed from public view like the threads for Dave's Picks 17 thru 24 have been taken down, away from public view.Yet, at this posting I can read the threads for DaP 13 - 16. Why?
  • icecrmcnkd
    I’ll need some L-Dopa, 5-HT, NE, and BDNF to process
  • Born Cross Eye…
    Well, I was wrong as were the 70's *mafia*
    I don't recall seeing any calls for an 80's show on these two comment boards - this DaP 26 or the NW '73 - '74 box comments boards. Oh well, no big deal. I used to have this 9/2/83 as an audience tape set and a fine one to boot. I got rid of it (and many other GD tapes) when I was downsizing in the mid 2000's during a move from one domicile to another. A very good show, if I recall correctly.
  • mbarilla
    F%CK YES The GODS have spoken September 2, 1983 excited for this release and a few in particular LLR ~ Deal plus Estimated Eyes and Throwing Stones, really all of it but especially interested in these a few weeks back i pulled out Dicks Picks 6 Smoking hot "They LOve Each Other" ~ Estimated Eyes this one is going to be a HEATER , time for a stroll with Mary Jane cool cover art for number 27, number 26 was awesome artwork too , looks great while sun was sinking low
  • Mr. Jack Straw
    Default Avatar
    http://www.dead.net/store/music/new-releases/daves-picks-volume-27
  • mbarilla
    Would love a show from this year, if the Rhinos go with 1983 performance I wouldn't be surprised if it's 10.17.83 from Lake Placid, New York 1983 - 1984 release would be near the top of my request list , March and April have some gems
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 7 months

The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Tuned in a bit late to the stream tonight but caught drums - touch of grey. Bobby playing a Jaguar?! Loved seeing the strat last year. I didn't see him play it on the stream but I believe that was a Gretsch I saw on the stand behind him. One day I'm going to buy a Nashville. Jim, was that you that mentioned the swim pod was being discontinued? I was hipped to it last year and have been swimming with one since. Cant beat it, although the earbuds leave a bit to be desired. If its being discontinued I should snag another one too. Where did you hear it? Looking forward to the Alpine shows.
user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

I have no idea how people watch squeakball. Vguy. Two comments. Enough with the pregame nonsense. Grab your gear and go. Just like the boys did. I can deal with game 1 in your first ever Stanley Cup Finals. Not every game. VGK. Not a good acronym. All my kids think they are the Vikings. LVK. Pretty simple. And yeah, I know you don't make that decision. God luck the rest of the way. This has been tremendous series so far. Riveting.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

On a similar thread.. I found myself sharing a shuttle to do a river with a chainsmoker listening to some pretty rabid rap. He made a point halfway through the ride to start the song over, turn it up.. very loud.. just because it "kicked ass." I would have rather been listening to something better.. but hey.. I got a free ride. Nothing wrong with enthusiasm.. just wish it was GD. What is squeakball? yes.. slowdog.. the shuffle is soon to be no longer. or perhaps it already is. I am buying up the waterproof ones because they are aftermarket and made to get wet. Not only do I listen to a whole lot of GD, but I also spend a whole lot of time in water. I call both my healthy addictions.. sure beats the alternatives. Gididy. https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/7/27/16050420/apple-ipod-n…
user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

Have not posted in a while, but feeling blessed to have caught the show tonight.....about the 3.05 mark they go from Estimated Profit, to a tease on The Other One, to a smokin' version of Eyes...that's where I'm at now....very nice!
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

I started late and that is exactly where I was when I read your post. Serendipitous. What's not to like about a free stream.. here comes TOO. Or the tease I guess. I'm pretty sure Sixtus is there tonight.. he's a rabid Eyes freak (as am I).. and rumor has it, there were extracurricular elements involved. Good for him.. Freak proudly. Shoutout to Gus West, thin and bobbylopes. Love the NE. Kind folks.
user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

Up north, squeakball is commonly known as basketball. You know. The sport where not much of interest happens, but you hear lots of squeaking from the sneakers on the floor. A lot of people call it the nba.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

I get it. I do like lacrosse, mountain kayaking and backcountry skiing.. that's got to count for something. F8ck the NBA and f8ck pro sports in general. I place my interest in the exact opposite direction of big business. Hope that's alright. Man.. Jeff is Killing it in Eyes. As is Oteil. These guys are absolute monsters. Frankly.. even college basketball has become marginalized.. remove the big money and suddenly its more interesting. Anyone heard from David Duryeau? He is no youngster.. I hope all is ok.. Kayak Guy too.. what has become of the older, wiser hipsters? Please.. don't tell me we are now in charge? That would suck a bit.
user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

You know I am busting your ass. We both seem to be on a bit of a bender tonight. Enjoy. The rest of the show. I love the Stanley Cup Finals, no matter who is playing, and the Grateful Dead. Sorry, but Dead & Co. ain't the Grateful Dead, so the Stanley Cup overrides.
user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

Think I just saw Sixtus mouthing "I will survive"....extracurriculars must be working!
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

I thought I saw some naked spinner getting maced by the cops as the video clipped off and thought for sure it was Sixtus. Thanks for straightening me out, now I can rest easy.. I am sure you are right. On that note.. I bid you all a good night.
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

Matt B. has a slew of 80' Warfield up and waiting to be downloaded at the cafe'.Special stuff...get some Thanks Matt :o)
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Ice Cream Kid - thanks for the article explaining exactly who these guys are. (I thought for sure it was Rob Eaton and friends) Just goes to show that some lawyers CAN do the right thing! (My daughter is an immigration lawyer who works for peanuts helping folks get into the country legally so she also is doing the right thing) ABCD Enterprises should be thanked by ALL Dead Heads for getting this music back to us and at no profit to them. Rock on
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

Great show last night. Friend got me a section 2 seat (like 20 rows back, front center section :). The boys were in good form. Not an amazing show but a solid series of singles and doubles, with the boys stretching Althea>Estimated to a triple. Seemed like they got rushed to finish at the end with the Stella>Touch wrap-up after Drums.... I think the XFinity center has a hard 11:00 curfew and the boys ran out of time. I can't wait to see the full video, though I had to chuckle at the disco ball spinning on the big screen at the show. It seemed a bit tongue-in-cheek and reminded me of John's recently released video/new single released just last week, ahead of this tour.... if you haven't seen this, it's hilarious. Mayer posted it on social media saying "no one could agree on a video budget, so I just went to a little studio in Hollywood that does cheesy birthday and bar-mitzvah videos and spent a day in front of a green screen banging this out". The result is this hilarious SHARP-cheddar video - my 15-yr old daughter says "for a guy who's known as a egomaniac, ya gotta respect Mayer's 'wtf' attitude": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ055hHdxbE
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

One of them is a white Fender Jazzmaster(Jaguar's pickups are skinnier); pretty sure the other one(that looks like a Grestch) is a D'Angelico EX-SS.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 1 month

Just catching up... I’ve been on 1980 kick lately – listening to 8/27, 9/3, 9/6. Man what a good run. Speaking of 9/6, can anyone point me in the right direction for the best source for this show? I have a Charlie Miller source which is good but still essentially an AUD. Any clean SBD’s for this show? I saw a discussion on different types of genres and rap came up. Rap is not my cup of tea but my oldest son is into it. I’m doing my best to let him be himself and like what he likes (all is not lost, however, the kid still knows the lyrics to just about every dead song). For all the differences I had with my parents, they never gave me a hard time about music or disparaged the Dead even though they didn’t quite get the attraction so I'm trying to return the favor.... Thin (and others)…I work with a head who goes way back (started seeing shows in the 70s). He remains as knowledgeable and passionate as anyone else, but has ZERO interest in keeping up with official releases. His point of view is that he’s already got a great collection and is content with that. I don’t get it, but hey whatever works I guess Finally...Dead & Co are playing Camden this weekend. Seeing them with some old friends. I last saw them at MSG during the fall and it was a blast - really looking forward to it!
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

Yes, there was a Gretsch in Bob's hands at one point (not just a D'Angelico that looks like a Gretsch). Plus the Jazzmaster (I also called it a Jaguar at the time - thanks for clarifying), and a D'angelico. John basically just played that stunning PRS guitar (with the painted-on, fake f-fole), plus a gray PRS behind him that I think he only played during Space. As for the folks who don't collect new shows, I had a parking lot discussion with a few folks on this at the show last night. I heard 5 different people's variations on "Dude, I have 700 shows - more than I could ever listen to - so much that most shows sound new and fresh to me anyway, and my life is too busy." Which I can relate to. I have shows I haven't heard in years, or shows I've only listened to only once. One guy said "Yeah, I picked up the Cornell show last year but not the whole box - are the other shows really worth getting?". I just about fell over. Fools!
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

I just caught a clip of Bob with the red Grestch...not sure which model, but it has the old 50's Dynasonic pickups. Looks like he was only playing with single coil pickups last night.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Yes.. thanks to both of you. I was happy to see him mixing it up and enjoyed some of the tones he was getting.. An ok show.. not great but had it's moments. It seems these guys pick up steam as they play together.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Thanks to a friend of mine I was able to get an advance copy of the new autobiography from John Perry Barlow, written pretty much right before he died. It hits the stores next week. I have read a great many of the books that are out there on the GOGD. This one is very good and offers some very different perspectives. I think that all of the Brent haters out there should definitely look into this and perhaps they might change their opinion a bit. JPB speaks very highly of Brent and of their song writing collaborations. Rock on
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

I just love the interaction between Jerry and Bruce!!!! It makes me so happy. And they opened up the first set,!!! I am a lot of those 98k views on Youtube. If you have never listened because it isn't in your sweet spot years, take 15 minutes and listen... bob t And P.S. I am one of those people that prefer a 9/11/74 Eyes of the World!!!!
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

It was born cross-eyed who posted the ABCD link.But BCE is a pretty generous fella and will probably still let me take the credit. Not all lawyers are bad, and there probably are a lot of dead head lawyers. A GRATEFUL THANK YOU to ABCD Enterprises!
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Do they not realize that the sound quality is so much better with the Full Norman?I have 4-5 TB of GD SBD’s, but I still buy every release. And every other week or so I check in at etree to see what new Millers have arrived. Yes, they keep arriving. Seems that he got a hold of Healy’s UM cassette masters and is giving them the Full Miller treatment and then passing them on to us lucky folks. But let the fools be fools, because we don’t need the extra competition every time a new release is announced. We all know how well this website handles ordering days.
user picture

Member for

13 years

Ok, I'll play. Seems like a lot of 1980 talk recently (What was that about Gainesville?) so I thought I'd take the plunge this afternoon. 9/2/80 was my choice, and the AUD linked below has made my day! Iko>Dew>Sugar Mag anyone? My good friend calls this is a MONSTER Dew... but also, check out the 1st set Sugaree, a Mid-set China>Rider, and really strong Saint, and a really strong pre-drums 2nd set that starts strangely with a S-L-O-W Althea, then a rare Set 2 CC Rider, (not that CC Rider is anyone's all-time favorite, but it's a good version.) The exploratory Estimated>Terrapin>Playin' is jammy-goodness too! All in all, this is one hell of a show! Definitely a strong contender for release (Space>Iko>Dew>Sugar was released on Dicks Picks 25 Richmond 85, so that may eliminate it from consideration, though I don't think it should.) Anywho, I would be happy with a Matrix release a la Dave's 8 Fox Theater for this one... https://archive.org/details/gd80-09-02.aud.skankweed.26458.sbeok.shnf But then again, what about Gainesville? And where is that "Land of the Midnight Sun" box set that they are definitely sitting on? Or will that one come after the MSG 79 box set? It's a good day here in DeadLand! Peace
user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

Hey gang, I wanted to give some insight regarding the lack of encore at last night's Dead & Co show to those of you who watched it on nugs or simply viewed the set list. Last night's show ended weirdly with Touch of Gray and no encore. By my watch the last note was played at 10:58. Perhaps the boys did not budget their time well. There is a time restraight at this venue that fines the production after 11:00 p.m. The last time I saw Neil Young play there, he rocked until 11:18 and paid a hefty fine. https://patch.com/massachusetts/mansfield-ma/xfinity-center-fined-neal-… Last night's show was a blast! Keep up the rockin! Oh yeah, Weirdly the set list was oddly similar to the show I jamed in transit. 7/2/82 from 30TATS!
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Overwhelmed by love, my soul arose like the Phoenix from an ashen heap; soaring into the second half of Althea. I've been left pondering a most unanswerable question. What exactly did Althea say when the smoke had cleared? Seems a multiverse of parallel lives are transecting in that pregnant moment of pause. Dead and Co should be seen live for full effect. I'm in. Sixtus, once again your generosity and hospitality was spectacular. I just wanna thank you; for a real good time!
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

I was tempted to head up myself. Blossom awaits me. I really want to hit SPAC too at some point.. but that one looks difficult to get in.
user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

Guss; you hit it!You speak for me as well.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Yeah baby, Good Old Crotchfester! One of my earlier shows...up front on the rail between Phil and Brent. The way Jerry stood then he was basically looking right at us......remeber Phil came out with a Heineken and messed around with his gear for a while. When he first came out a bunch of folks started get all worked up and yelling etc., and Phil just turned around a bbbbbuuuuuklllppopopp right back at em, and they didn’t know what the hell to do to that, so they all finally settled down and let Phil bang around. I want to say he still had the oscilloscope? Anyway from that close it was pretty $-#&/&$ cool! Otis, great show. Supposedly Dick was keen on this one but only the tape with the released material was in the vault....? Have a crappy copy of second set but have not gotten around to checking out the first...... Thanks, I’ll check it out when I can.....would love it if they could release this one....
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Yeah doggie! That’s been some fine energy even if your not rooting for anyone. I’m worried about Vguy, this keeps up it could put the poor bastard over the edge! AJS just laying back and waiting on his boys, her-hee, and right back at ya Vguy. Hope the whole series continues to be this good!! Enjoy gents, there’s nothing like the wave when your team is in a championship......cept perhaps going to see the Dead! Wooohooo. Hope all y’all get to see D&C this summer, somewhere....Enjoy! “See that girl barefootin along.......”
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....I'm just happy we're there. The Capitals played better than us, and that save by Holtby to keep it from going into OT was Fleury-esque. Color me impressed. Didn't catch the Dead & Co show last night. Making it up by firing it up now.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

We all pitched in and miracled you an XL Capitals jersey. The woman at the store recommended #8, Alex Ovechkin. You should have it tomorrow so you can wear it for the next game.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....this is on the fly, but I love Oteil's memory foam perch. Johnny Checker's pants? Not so much. Don't ever wear those again. Is that fashion? I hope not. Still, it's better than an Ovechkin jersey....All Over Now was....interesting.
user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

D&C it's all over
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....yay. Another runaround session of buying tickets for any somewhat large event these days. Stocking up on Tums and coffee. They're doing another Halloween run at MGM Grand Garden Arena. Four shows. Looking to go to all of them. They're not getting any younger, and neither am I.... although, in 2016, the last time they played here, they were selling some next nights tix at face. Wait until the last minute, or jump in feet first when they go on sale? Felt the same conundrum when Stanley Finals tix went on sale originally. It shouldn't be this hard to GO TO AN EVENT for a respectable price. I miss the old days....
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....buy one, get a pair of Nike "pants?" at half off. That's not all! If you order now, you get balcony.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I like your attitude to your son liking rap music. Surely-hopefully-each generation has a music that speaks to them specifically. If they are lucky enough to have this the chances are that older generations won't "get it". My parents hated most of the music I liked as a teenager-which was to be expected. They grew up in the big band era- the likes of Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd (Interstellar Overdrive) et al sounded like a godawful racket to them. That was alright by me-they weren't supposed to like it. The music reflected a lifestyle and experience that they had no idea about. How could they see hear the same things in "Anthem of the Sun " that I did? I went off a lot of rock music in the 80s-by the late 80s, with the development of rave/acid house etc I was left at home. I never took ecstasy or went to a rave-I turned 30 in 1987-dance music was aimed at teens and early 20s. I had become, even though it seems quite young now, a member of the older generation. Which doesn't mean that that music is/was invalid-just that my views on it were.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

..so true. My parents had a particular dislike for Jimi Hendrix. I had a particular dislike for some of their music.. Glen Campbell comes to mind. Now that we're all old.. those red lines have faded a lot.. I took my father to two Jazz and Heritage Festivals in New Orleans.. some of his legends were on stage (Fats Domino was on the main stage and others) and some of mine (Santana comes to mind). Like I said.. those red lines of dislike faded and the generation gap closed a bit. My dad is pretty straight laced.. but he told a story of how he used to sneak out of his bedroom window a lot in the 50's and head to downtown Baltimore to see R&B acts like Ray Charles, Fats Domino and others).. he had to sneak out because most of the bands he was seeing were black and racism was mainstream back then. I had no idea and my pop became less of a nerd that day. After a while the generation gap begins to close at least in that direction. Great posts.. rings true on many levels.. but don't expect me to warm up to Rap anytime soon. You set a good example, 80sfan.. we can all learn something from that approach. Gotta go, the hipsters are beginning to congregate out front. Get off my lawn hippies.. get a haircut. Over and out.
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

1) If you REALLY want him to stop listening to rap, start listening to it yourself and quoting it. If you tell him what's "wrong" with it, or even politely tell him you don't think it has any merit, he will sprint toward it like a moth to a flame. 2) Music is in the eye of the beholder, and anyone who judges or talks down to ANY music just looks like an a-hole - Kinda like telling someone "You're hair looks stupid!".... ("Ya, f you too..."). We all have negatively judged music that we later enjoyed. Example 1: My dad (ex-Marine) HATED the whole Dead/Pink Floyd/hippie music thing so bad that it became a VERY hot topic at the dinner table and in our family in general. He used to spit at the ground and rage against the "g-damn hippie music" like a haughty, judgmental bore. Fast forward 15 years and I bring over some Garcia/Grisman CD's. "Hey, now THAT's music!" Reckoning: "Who is this? This is great stuff". Jorma's Quah album - "can you leave this CD here?" Today he actually enjoys hearing the Dead! Example 2: I recently spoke about how when I was 14 I fell in love with the GD songs but HATED the jams - I faded out Truckin' on my Europe' '72 Maxell cassette after the final lyrics because I thought the jam afterward was an embarrassing, self-indulgent example of the perils of drug use. Fast forward 25 years and suddenly I was creating CD's that ONLY contained the best JAMS from each year, editing out the vocals! 3) I like rap. Certainly not all of it. But its expressive. There have been some rap songs that have had me grooving' with my fist in the air in a way I never have with the Dead, or jazz, or pop or anything. Eminem, Tribe, NWA, Snoop, Dre, Lamar... There's something there for everyone - you just have to have an open mind and find what you like.
user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Appreciate the couple of shout outs here from the D&C Tour Opener. Thin, it sounds like you were right down in front of Gus and me; we were in the middle/left two rows under the roof. Bummah we missed you... As Gus alluded, the cosmos definitely aligned and at several points opened up for us given the magic that Gus hand-delivered. I always enjoy a strong Shakedown opener; a couple of out-of-the-gate bust outs with Alabama Getaway and It's All Over Now; it was a cool Bird Song> Loose Lucy> Bird Song in there too to end 1st set. But that start of the second set through drums was the true delivery mechanism. The transition following Scarlet Begonias was pure burre....so drippy and melty. One of the best I've witnessed live. Love Oteil singing on Fire on the Mtn btw; then the flip to Althea was awesome and was that telling. They jam hard on that one. The true highlight for me though was the Estimated > TOO Tease > Eyes. For whatever reason in all of my dozen+ GD shows, I NEVER saw an Estimated > Eyes, nor an Eyes outright for that matter; yet at D&C shows I've seen them play Eyes of the World so many times that it has made up for it and then some. Makes me so so happy as Jimmy alluded to on Wed. night. The drums had me jumping around and literally pulling drips of beats from the band with my hands and delivering them back out to the masses. I also had this amazing recurring vision/feeling like I could sled down the tops of all of the heads of the people in front of me and end up on the stage. I shoulda done that for reals. It was a little bummer they had an 11 PM hard stop so it did leave things feeling a little hanging. But, that's what the rest of summer tour is for. Big Giant shout out to Gus West for the inspiration and camaraderie. And Happy Friday in Deadland to All. Sixtus
user picture

Member for

17 years

And kudos to Jim's dad for sneaking out the window to see those acts. From one who still regrets that there was no chance in hell my parents would let me go see Ike and Tina Turner and didn't even try.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

When I hear the types of music that my daughter (23) listens to, then I can only conclude that I have failed as a father.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Sounds bad Simon, Rap? Hip Hop?? Would you like me to second assist with the Seppuku? (kidding) It's a battle most of us lose.. it is encouraging to hear apples not falling too far from the tree from time to time. I believe mhammond's kids are seeing shows for example.. but these seem to be the exceptions, not the rules.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 2 months

Simonrob, you have not failed as such, your daughter is listening to music, even though some of us may not be appreciative of the genre. A lot of people I know do not have any interest in investing their time in listening to music. On another note the UK VISA payment system has crashed, thank goodness there is no Box Set announcement.
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Looking forward to that E>E as I rewatch the show to figure out what the hell happened in that monstrous second set Jam. So Buttery...
user picture

Member for

8 years 4 months

I have a massive collection of Hip-Hop. Mostly 80's and 90's era stuff, mind. The new Czarface Meets MF DOOM album is slammin' though. Def my Hip-Hop CD of 2018 thus far.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

I knew I would get some pushback on that one.. :D
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

My daughter is not listening to music, she is listening to hardcore electronic DJ's. They use computers rather than musical instruments. She is also not averse to a bit of rap, hip hop and other assorted spoken-word stuff (again, not music) from a culture that is alien to me. Ah, the generation gap.
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Both kids deadheads. Son (32) and daughter (29) and wife (her age isn't relevant) and I have seen Dead and Co 3 times together. Skipping this years due to cost. It's just too damn much. My son actually attended a Dead concert in 85 Chula Vista. My wife was very pregnant with him (he was born 2 weeks later). It was so touching how supportive all the people were of her at the concert. "Hey this very prego woman wants to boogie. Help her!" A great memory. "The omnipotent Grateful Dead."
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

In a way, I find it quite reassuring that there are genres of music being created by young people that have broken with the traditions of the past. I haven't got any children, so I am not sure how I would feel if they liked the same sort of music as me. If they played an electric guitar-would it be like your dad trying to play one? Maybe the guitar, bass, keyboard, drum format has had its day, and its time for new instruments and ways of playing-and ideas of what that means-to take hold. I saw Patti Smith a year or so ago, and before going into a chaotic version of "My Generation" she lifted an electric guitar above her head, and shouted "The Weapon of my generation!" Which it was and is. Surely each generation should develop their own thing-the whole concept of reverentially preserved "classic rock" is a bit of a travesty in a way.
product sku